Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tigerdave2tigerdave2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jiangy,

I just calculated the invoice on Edmunds around $35,200 ($34,857 plus approx. $400 for Carpet mats) with MSRP at $39,209. We recently moved from Philly, so surprised that they didn't have any AWD models on the lot here in SC.

We went into the dealer armed with the FitzMall prices, and our dealer matched their discounts. Our total price out the door was only $36,706.
  • jimshighlanderjimshighlander Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2011 Highlander AWD Limited with EJ - JBL Premium Audio and TO Tow Package for $37,000 Out the Door. Appears to be about $1239.00 over invoice and $2496.00 below MSRP according to Edmunds.

Would appreciate any feedback as to Philadelphia area as if this appears to have been good deal.
  • gvacgvac Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2011 Gray Highlander Limited AWD with the following options in the Chicago area:

(FE ) 50-STATE EMISSIONS
    (TO ) TOW PKG
    (NV ) NAVIGATION SYSTEM

Sticker Price $40,025
    Sell Price $36,400 + TTL
    Financed 50% with TMC got 3.5% rate for 60 months

Good Deal??? Hope this info helps someone else.
  • tsmithsontsmithson Member Posts: 2
    Without a doubt, the best place to buy a highlander is Midwest Superstore in Kansas. I bought my 2010 Highlander Limited there for $500 over invoice and was given a two year maintenance package for free. Now how's that for a deal. We did most of the work over the phone so it made it simple. The salesman took the time to go over the entire car and our experience was very enjoyable. There were no high pressure sales tactics and the atmosphere was great with all of the salesman and managers joking around and having a good time. We were dealing with two other dealerships at the same time and by far we made the best choice. Doug treated us with respect and has earned a customer for life.
  • tsmithsontsmithson Member Posts: 2
    When I asked my salesman about TDA and what the charge is for, I was told that TDA actually comes from Toyota and that is a charge that applies to every toyota being sold. This fee goes toward advertising for toyota in that region. Well after a little research I would have to say that is pretty close to the truth. Apparently toyota does split the cost of advertising in a certain region among its dealerships. So you may end up paying more for a toyota if you live in a high advertised area. It does pay a little to shop around. Doug from Midwest Toyota in Kansas made me aware of this. At first I thought just another salesmans lies but there was truth to it and we did purchase our Highlander there. Also he made us aware of just how much there were in difference of dealers fees. We paid $179 at Midwest and yet at another dealership just 30 minutes away their fee would have been $500. So definitely take your time and look at all of the options, it will save you money.
  • raul76051raul76051 Member Posts: 19
    I paid $1700 under invoice for a 2010 Highalnder in San Antonio, so i doubt Kansas is the best place to purchase.
  • arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    Where in SA? I'm trying to decide between Cavender and Alamo dealerships.
  • jborrellijborrelli Member Posts: 15
    I am about to pick up my Highlander on Saturday. I was going to have the dealer install the remote start until I found out it was $895. Is this a good price for a factory remote start? I know I can get an after market remote start for $300-500. If anyone has an installer in North Jersey let me know.
  • ron75ron75 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting quotes for 2011 Highlander and 2010 Highlander. I have used AAA and Costco car buying service in the past. The best discount service I found was on www.ebay.com. Do a search for the type of vehicle, such as 2011 Toyota Highlander. When you get the list of cars for sale, they also have a "build your own" price listing. For 2010 Highlanders I was getting quotes below invoice, some $500 below some up to $950 below invoice in Southern California. For 2011 the price is usually about $500 over invoice. Then send quote requests to several dealers internet department. The internet groups offer the lowest prices. My current best 2011 Highlander price is a few dollars below invoice. I live in Southern Calif, but also requested quotes from Phoenix and Las Vegas. Phoenix dealers have a lot of 2010 Highlanders and offer very good prices. Take a little time on the internet, save a lot of money. Good luck!
  • adjohnadjohn Member Posts: 8
    xtian-
    hi. where in socal were you getting quotes for 950 under invoice for 2010s?
  • bonsolobonsolo Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I just purchased a 2010 Highlander V6 AWD in White Blizzard Pearl with EVP #2, Sunroof, in dash 6 CD changer stereo and power driver drivers seat for $27676 after $1000 cash back. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Boston Area
  • mkdorfmkdorf Member Posts: 10
    Purchased a 2011 Metallic Grey Highlander Limited 2WD with the following options in SE Virginia:

(NV ) NAVIGATION SYSTEM
    (CT) Carpeted floor mats
    (3T) Crossbars
    (WL) Wheel Locks

Sticker Price $38,940
    Invoice Price $35,589
    Sell Price $35489 + TTL

So $100 under invoice.

Looked at a 2010 also, but they wouldn't come down enough in price. Plus, I really like the changes they made on the exterior compared to the '10.

This is our 2nd Highlander. Still have the 2002 running strong.
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    My top 2 choice of SUV for now are RX350 and Highlander. Primarily due to reliability and ride (sorry 4Runner).

I would like to save money by getting the Highlander. But how much with I be saving?

I am looking at basic RX350. Leather, power lift gate, V6, keyless start. . . .

Highlander seem to be discounting $3K to $4K discount.

So how much difference is there between the RX350 and the comparable RX350?

I am in a greater Dallas area. I've been to 5 Toyota dealers and they all seem to be sleaze bags. Whereas Sewell Lexus, where I know I'd be paying for their fancy showrooms, they treat you like a king before and after you purchase the car.

Roughly how much will I be saving to put with the sleaze bags? Or anyone can recommend me a dealer.

I am willing to go to Austin, and even San Antonio if they treat me right.

Thanks.
  • k2010k2010 Member Posts: 1
    I am pondering between highlander and RX350 as well. I am offered $1000 off the invoice price for a SE 2010 highlander with little negotiation plus top dollar for tradein. My experience in the Lexus dealership was much worse. I had to negotiate for a long time then had to contact through email and phone call. At the end, they provided a ok deal for trade in and $2500 off the invoice price which is $1000 higher than the invoice price on Edmunds.
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    Thanks.

Perhaps I need to look at pre-owned RX350. We got a really good deal several years ago on a demo model on ES330.
    Most ES and RX owner do not abuse their cars as they can’t really be raced and handle the corner like the sporty BMW’s and Audi’s where I was told to never get pre-owned European cars.
  • jimmyjames33jimmyjames33 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    just got a 2010 4x2 FWD Highlander...Blzd White, 3rd Row Seating, Cold Weather Package, Extra Value Package 2 (black roof rails, tonneau cover, manual rear A/C, engine immobilizer, daytime running lights w/auto on/off switch), 6 disc cd changer, xm sat radio w/6 months free, 8 way power driver seat, carpeted floor mats, after market dvd player prices 1288 and simonized ext./int. + taxes, title, 750 incentive and 800 trade in = out the door for approx 29,144.00.....
  • xtian97sc2xtian97sc2 Member Posts: 6
    Bought a 2011 Highlander Ltd 4x2 Blizzard Pearl this weekend in the Houston TX area. We got it with Sand Interior and JBL & Mats options: MSRP: $36,915 negotiated it down to $33,552. We really like it... that is except for the black trim on the bottom of the car. Actually thinking of taking it to a body shop to get it painted to match the rest of the body. Was quoted $500-$600. We'll see if it doesn't grow on us. We also purchased the WeatherTech Digital fit liners and really like those as well but if I could return them I would get it in the tan color instead of black.
  • mkdorfmkdorf Member Posts: 10
    Seems like a good price xtian97sc2. Have you (or anyone else) noticed that the seats on the 2011 (w/leather) seem to be a bit stiff? The 2011 I just bought is for my wife, but she's asking me to drive it for a few months to try and 'work in' the seats. I know this is to be expected when buying a new vehicle, but they do seem more firm than previous new car purchases...
  • xtian97sc2xtian97sc2 Member Posts: 6
    Yeah, now that you mention it it does seem pretty firm.
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    I have a 2010 Blizzard Pearl Highlander Limited FWD that I purchased 12-23-10.

I just saw the 2011 models yesterday for the 1st time (in person).
    I also think that the black trim at the bottom & around the fog lights is a tad "gaudy".
    I had heard that they were changed a little & was afraid they would make my 2010 look bad. Now I am glad I purchased my 2010.
  • oldtimeyankoldtimeyank Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Regarding your 2010 Highlander V6 for $27676 in the Boston area, what dealership did you purchase it from, and do you know whether the $1000 cash back is still being offered?

Thanks in advance.

OldtimeYank

Allentown, PA
    was that out the door? if so it was a heck of a deal, if not it was still a good one.
    No. Price was before taxes and fees.
    Copeland Toyota in Brockton, MA. The $1000 rebate expired.
    I misspoke earlier. I just confirmed the $1000 rebate is alive and well through Nov. 30.
  • ssr31ssr31 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am planning to buy a 2011 Highlander Limited AWD with Rear Entertainment System and Voice Activated Navigation System. I would like to know any recent purchases and deals around Boston Area for this. What would be a good deal ?

I am also open to 2010 Highlander Ltd AWD with Navigation and DVD entertainment as it currently has $1000 incentive. But the price for 2010 seems to be higher than 2010. Would appreciate any info on recent deals for both 2010 & 2011 versions around Boston Area. Dealer info would be great.

Thanks
  • johnd15johnd15 Member Posts: 41
    I checked into this service a few weeks ago & received a quote for 2011 HL Limited AWD for $500 over invoice. Today I revisited the USAA site & was quoted $500 below invoice! I guess the market is adjusting to lower sales - Toyota did not have a great October. No incentives on 11s yet... lots of 10s still around - too bad. Like the looks of the 2011; wouldn't be happy with 2010 anymore.
  • malownmalown Member Posts: 5
    Were looking for a '10 Highlander for the replacement of wife's minivan for a while and this site was where I frequently checked for pricing info and strategy. Just made a purchase and like to share my experiences and hope it could be of help to others just as I benefited from what you guys shared in here.

At first I checked websites of local Toyota dealerships and it looked like there were a lot of '10 Highlanders remaining, but later on I found the info was misleading since the dealerships share the same stock database therefore only a few of the vehicles sit in one particular dealer's site though many more might show in its website.

I got the impression from Edmunds that you could get $500 below invoice for '10 model while $500 above for '11. Talked with the nearest Toyota dealer and the price they gave was almost 2K above what we expected. I knew this might not be the right time in the begining of a month, and they might give a better price at the end of month, but I was tired of playing a game with them.

So I submit a request in CarsDirect.com, and soon a salesman of nearby dealer contact me through e-mail and said they had the vehicle I wanted in stock. I asked him to give an honest offer. The price was close to what I wanted, and my counter was accepted. Then last Wednesday morning wife and I went to the dearlership, and the negotiation process was not without a twist, for instance our final offer was not accepted until the salesman called me in home that night. And on Thursday morning we signed the deal and brought home a '10 vehicle from them. In general we were satisfactory with the purchase and we might have achieved $500 below invoice. The following are details of the deal.

Vehicle: '10 V6 base Highlander (PE, QB, WT, CT and P2), silver color
    MSRP: $30343
    Price after 1k rebate: $26500 with asked-for trade-in value, or $26110 with lower trade-in value they offered. Baseline was we paid 26.5k out-of-door for the vehicle after rebate + trade-in.

Would like to answer more specific questions if you are intersted.
  • eastcoastmaneastcoastman Member Posts: 2
    accepted an offer for 2011 Highlander V6 FWD base, with tech pkg, towing pkg, matts.

$28700 out to door.

On very limited budget, tried to find one without any package but couldn't. I think Toyota's packages are overpriced.
  • 123abc2123abc2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Eastcoastman,
    Thanks for the info. That's a great deal. I am planning to buy the same one. Could you please post the dealer's info and your highlander's model # and MSRP ? Thanks for you help.
    123abc2
  • eastcoastmaneastcoastman Member Posts: 2
    model 6946, MSRP $31425 VannYorkToyota or FredAndersonToyota
    Good luck!
  • btquestionbtquestion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Highlander Limited without Nav and a Blackberry 9630 Tour model. I originally had the phone paired and working great with the car for about 4 months, but oddly it stopped working properly. The car recognizes the phone when I get in, but it engages in "Talking..." mode and displays "Talking..." on the radio display. It acts as if I am initiating a call when on start up, but I am not. I can hit the cancel button on the steering wheel and the phone will cancel but then not be paired with the phone, yet the blue light on my Blackberry continues to blink. Anyone have this same problem and know of a fix?
    tried to find one w/out package as well, had a deal worked out on one only to realize at last minute it didn't have 3rd row either...that was the only option we were interested in and i thought from the net it had it.
    There are now, as of today, new Toyota incentives on 2011s through 11/30 - $500 off or 1.9% financing. Didn't take long... Glad I didn't pull the trigger sooner. Waiting on a Limited AWD (no navigation) due into dealer any day; the new Nautical Blue w/black leather. MSRP $38,045. My cost $35,515 or $500 over invoice - then subtract new $500 incentive, so will purchase at invoice.
  • 123abc2123abc2 Member Posts: 2
    I called both dealerships today and had no luck of getting a good price. Thanks for the info. The deal you got was great.
  • jeff191jeff191 Member Posts: 3
    Just to share my price: 2011 SE AWD, with some small options: bluetooth, cargo mat, cross bar, mrsp: $36***

$31000 before tax and document fee
  • qqq2000qqq2000 Member Posts: 6
    that's a good price.
    where did u get it?
    name of the dealer plx
  • bnbag1bnbag1 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2010
    Seems like you got a good deal.
    Please post the dealership info.
    THANKS.
  • caw99caw99 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, that's that exact configuration I'm looking at. And that's a smoking good deal on the price. Was it hard to find a Limited w/o NAV? Can you also mention what Toyota dealer you dealt with? Are they a small or large volume dealer? Thanks in advance.

p.s. Thanks for mentioning about the $500 rebate. Last time I checked it was only for available to servicemen.
    Very few Limiteds seem to be built w/o Nav - sure it has to do with improving Toyota profit margins. Will purchase my own Garmin, thanks anyways. I ordered my Limited from the factory - through Fernelius Toyota in Cheboygan, MI, a small dealer in a small town at the northern tip of MI's lower peninsula. The price is courtesy of USAA buying service, which is for those current or former service members + families. The rebate is for anyone who purchases & takes delivery 11/15 - 11/30 - see the Toyota website.
    "Waiting on a Limited AWD (no navigation) due into dealer any day; the new Nautical Blue w/black leather. MSRP $38,045. My cost $35,515 or $500 over invoice - then subtract new $500 incentive, so will purchase at invoice. "

Is the $35,515 out the door with tax and tags?
    If not, your invoice numbers are way off.
    The limited without nav we are pricing has a msrp of $38,025 and invoice is $34,291.
  • tyler23tyler23 Member Posts: 1
    Have been browsing this thread for quite a while. Time to share my own experience:

Considering many factors, finally decided to settle for a 2010 hybrid.

MSRP about 47k;
    Sale price 40300;
    Plus 0 APR, 0 down and 0 first month from Toyota, saving a total interest of nearly 4k for me, so give up the $2000 cash rebate offer.

I got similar offer from three different dealerships. Dealers are generally very...motivated... at this time of the year, especially for older models. The highlander is brand new, just not the newest model. The 2011 hybrid has not yet been released in most places as far as I know.
    Yes, as some reviews pointed out, it feels rather weird when riding a 50k vehicle but not even able to play your ipod. The 2011 models are better regarding this…
    Limited price of $35,515 is $500 over invoice - not out the door. According to the USAA buying service and the dealer, invoice is just over $35,000, although I have not seen the actual invoice yet (have not taken delivery). The dealer said they will show it to me. That's the source info I have, and consistent with what I have seen on a dealer website that lists such info - Fitzgerald Toyota . I expect to pay about $35,000 then with the $500 Toyota incentive + tax & tags. My vehicle will have the JBL system & tow pkg. Does your $34,291 invoice price include destination?

In the end, I expect others will eventually pay less... that's the way it goes.
  • billlumbergbilllumberg Member Posts: 3
    Please let me know your thoughts. Probably going to see the car tomorrow:

2010 Highlander Limited AWD
    Extra Value Package 8 (Nav, Heated Seats, Pwr Rear Door, Bluetooth, XM, Sunroof, Auto Rear AC)

Tow Package

Asking $35,290. (Or $33,790 if I take the $1,500 cash back instead of the 0.9 Finance Rate. Edmunds Dealer invoice pricing is $35,248.

What do you think?
    2011 Limited 4x4 (TOW PKG / JBL AUDIO)

INVOICE...........MSRP
    Base Price...........$32,817..... $36,345
    Destination..........$810.......... $810
    Options...............$664...........$870
    TOTAL...............$34,291.......$38,025
  • notgoodatthisnotgoodatthis Member Posts: 3
    I keep seeing where it says you can get the invoice price on any vehicle from the edmunds site. Where can you get this? All I see is where you get quotes from salesmen and I do not want any salesmen calling me.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    Towards the top of this page, click on "NEW CARS", then pick "Price w/options".. Then pick your make and model...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nnjtoyhighnnjtoyhigh Member Posts: 6
    In the NJ area. Do you think that this is a good deal? I think that I can do al little better.

MSRP: 36,026
    Price (including destination): 32,500
    OTD: 35,626
  • ssr31ssr31 Member Posts: 2
    I recently got a deal in boston area for 2010 highlander limited with Nav and rear entertainment system for 36,600 . Is this a good deal ?

Thanks
    I am now the proud owner of a 2011 HL Limited - took delivery hours ago. Nautical Blue (new color - like a navy blue) w/black interior - hard to find, but great combo! MSRP $38,025 w/JBL system & tow pkg; paid $35,585 or $500 over invoice & took 1.9% Toyota financing deal instead of $500 off. Using Toyota's $$ I am sure I can invest better elsewhere instead of paying cash like I was going to. The dealer showed me the invoice - unless it was doctored, showed $35,085.

Bnbag1: what you are missing may be Admin/fuel fee, which apparently for us in Midwest is $664 (listed on invoice I was shown) best that I recall. That accounts for most of diff you cite from what I have researched. I noticed when pricing w/Edmunds you must check it or it doesn't show. Could be different fee where you are.