Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• optimist2optimist2 Member Posts: 15
    I decided to rule out the HL for the reason that it got 4 out of 5 stars on side crash tests. I know this is a test and reality may be different, but that's the only information I can go by. Also, the MDX is offered now for 42.5 so the difference is shrinking.

Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated.
  • tee2greentee2green Member Posts: 2
    Hello World,

I'm buying a HL Ltd AWD V6 w/o Nav in Chicagoland, but need some great advise out there. Been looking at Mag Gray color w/Tow Pkg ($220),JBL($650),and Mats($315). Been dealing with a lot of dealers via internet. Prices for OTD TTL and all; w/no accessories are ranging from $37,400 and up close to 40k.
    I have a trade in, but haven't mentioned that to anyone yet. Plan on going into dealers tomorrow night for the fun process. Does this sound ok? or am I being had?
    Appreciate any feedback;esp from Chicagoland buyers.
    Thx!
  • hyperchickmomhyperchickmom Member Posts: 6
    Hooray! Thanks to this website...and all the info re invoice pricing, etc. we purchased our new Highlander today! After shopping around, and not getting our offer accept at another dealer due to the color we wanted was not their inventory. We found the exact model (above in Cypress Pearl with beige interior) we wanted in stock at Millenium Toyota (Hempstead, NY)...that is one secret for getting a lower cost.

MSRP $40,340 / INVOICE $36,701.60
    (Invoice price included $810 dest/$500 TDA/$10.60 gas/$726 Holdback/$363 Whsl financial reserve)

OPTIONS included:
    Navigation System $2,650 MSRP / $2188 Invoice
    Tow Prep Pkg $220 MSRP / $176 Invoice
    Carpet/Cargo Mat $315 MSRP / $200 Invoice

Additional option we wanted was the REMOTE START.
    We were told it would be $795, but we were able to get it for $595. Not sure if we really scored on that item..but overall, our purchase price came to:

$36,500 including all options Before taxes.
    Trade-in (2008 Honda Accord EX-L) dealer gave us $17,500.
    NY state taxes = $1638.75, $75 fee for processing registration/title, $12.50 tire tax, $69 license & title.
    FINAL COST = $38,305.25
    Took advantage of the 1.9% 60 months financing that TOYOTA is offering this month!
    Approx $510 per month.

Hope this helps someone else deciding what is fair price! We did our homework and I think it paid off!
  • notgoodatthisnotgoodatthis Member Posts: 3
    Looking at a 2011 Highlander SE FWD Blizzard Pearl model 6951. Options are:Tech Audio, Special color, Special Edition Package, Floor Mats and cargo mat, Running boards,Vehicle Shield package. Added options: Tint and Nitogen, Side Molding.

Base MSRP $35,698

Tint And Nitogen $399

Side Molding $195

Total MSRP $36,295

Salesman price (includes the $1000 rebate) $33.025 + TT&L

I am not sure if this is a good price or should I be able to get it even lower?

I hate car shopping so I am not very good at negotiating. Any help or advice would be great.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    It's a bit high w/o the Nav.
  • ccy1995ccy1995 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to ready buy a new SUV, and my target car is 2011 Toyota Highlander. Does anyone knows what the fair price or the best price you paid for the 2011 Highlander in Orlando or Central Florida area?
  • lexus_envylexus_envy Member Posts: 6
    I live in Massachusetts and am considering buying a 2011 Highlander - Limited with Nav, DVD, and remote start in the next month. I was wondering what any of you New Englanders are finding for best prices on this vehicle in the area?
  • tom5533tom5533 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have a connection for a good price on one? The retail price is listed at $36,095 and the price I received was $33,575. I was looking to get one for a little less at about $30,000 but I don't know if that is possible. Anybody in the Pa/Nj area get a great price on one that they would care to share?
  • qqq2000qqq2000 Member Posts: 6
    got one in pa about 31000+ttl
    Any chance in letting me know what dealership you got your best at? I would like to try that one
  • qqq2000qqq2000 Member Posts: 6
    faulkner toyota
    qqq2000 Thanks, I am sending them a email now.
    I think if I could get that for 31000 plus tt I will get it
    Dealer responded that they would match or beat any other offer on a similar vehicle but they need something to go on as far as receipt or bill of sale,email offer,etc. Until I can provide that I am still shopping.
  • serviceman1serviceman1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 2011 Base Highlander and we are already considering getting rid of it due to excessive road noise that you hear inside the cabin. We had the fortunate (or unfortunate) opportunity to drive the vehicle home after purchase which was a 2+ hour drive from the dealer. After about an hour into the drive, my wife, who was in the seat behind me (I was driving) with our 4 year old son, said that her ears were ringing. I didn't offer the information up right away, but I too was experiencing a dull pain in both my ears...I thought it was just me. About an hour after that we pulled into a grocery store close to home to pick up a few groceries and both of us could not believe how our inner ears hurt. When we turned off the vehicle the silence was stunning. Later that night both of us had ringing in our ears due to the 2 hour ride home in our $30,000 Highlander...nice! We gave the vehicle the benefit of the doubt and took it for another "test drive" a couple days later...same thing. We contacted the dealer who we bought the vehicle from (Wilde Toyota in Milwaukee) and they more or less said it was our imagination. We then test drove older Highlanders (2 years old) a few days later at a different dealer....HUGE difference in interior road noise level! As you can imagine, the dealer we bought the 2011 Highlander from didn't want to give us anywhere near the price we paid for it...we even talked to them about doing a trade-in on a quieter vehicle...they told us our "New" Highlander was now "Used" and was worth $4000 less than what we paid for it! WOW...that was an expensive 150 miles of driving! So, off we go to a different dealer....one who will be a bit more understanding...to trade away our new Highlander...ear plugs and all!
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    edited March 2011
    Another endorsement for a TEST DRIVE under different conditions before you buy. City, highway, fast, slow, accessories on, accessories off, with a passenger who can evaluate, with same passenger driving so YOU can evaluate, etc., etc. Be sure to also drive the EXACT SAME vehicle you're going to buy, not a "similar" one. All told, you can do this in about an hour, with a dealer who agrees NOT to ride along. If they try to BS you that it is their policy or that it is required for insurance purposes, run - don't walk - away !
  • pgy76pgy76 Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

I'm considering buying a 2011 Highlander SE V6 4WD w/nav in the NYC area. Not opposed to going to NJ or Long Island for a good deal. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? ie dealership, price, options, etc?

Thanks
  • pitbull1980pitbull1980 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a 2011 Highlander same specs as well. We should consider getting two cars from same dealer. If anyone else in the NY/NJ/CT area would like to participate let me know.
  • hank818hank818 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I recommend Millenium Toyota at Hempstead LI. Bought my '11 V6 Limited AWD for $36.3K with NAV. Someone from previous post also got a similar deal from Millenium.

Contact their internet manager Mike O., he should be able to quote you on a good deal. They're a fair dealer compared to others, also try to have them waive the $374 doc fee. Good Luck! :)
  • dwrdwrdwrdwr Member Posts: 1
    In the market for a Highlander SE in the Salt Lake City area and curious if anyone can tell me what he current incentives are from Toyota - I have seen anywhere from $500 to $2000. How close to invoice should I pay? thanks
  • 2grammy2grammy Member Posts: 2
    How is the noise level in your Highlander? There was another post that stated they returned their standard Highlander after driving 150 miles because him and his wife both had an ear aches after driving for 2 hours.
  • 2grammy2grammy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for that information. I have purchased 3 brand new cars and no dealer has ever let me go more than 3-5 miles.
  • mainesail55mainesail55 Member Posts: 8
    By all means, use Edmunds' quote option. You can get an idea of the fair market value on their site based on what people have actually paid as well as real quotes.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    Was it 4 cyl one? I have 6 cyl AWD base model and it is very quiet. There is annoying squeaking coming from the radio cluster though when weather gets too cold.
  • coolhandluke3coolhandluke3 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    28K + Tax, Title and Tags. Took the 0% option over the rebate as we keep our cars forever. Hope this one does as well as our last Camry.
  • horent135horent135 Member Posts: 1
    I went to Carmax toyota, i got quoted $35,000 for limited without navi, just only JBL and towing package.
    Any thoughts? I think it is kinda over priced...

A local dealer quoted me for $34,500 for the same, do you think I can bargain with them down to $33k - 33.5k?

Any help or advice would be great.
  • russharrisrussharris Member Posts: 16
    I just leased a 2011 Highlander 4x4 with Bluetooth option, towing package, base model from a North Jersey dealer. $3500 up front! The monthly out of the door payment including tax, title, destination, bank fee and GAP insurance is $263.00 per month--yes that includes the NJ 7% tax.

Did I make a good deal?

Howie Mandel
  • ms909698ms909698 Member Posts: 1
    2011 Highlander SE V6 4x4
    TO: tow prep
    3T: Cross Bars
    WL: Wheel Locks
    CT: Floor Mats

MSRP: 36,405
    Purchased: 33,422 Before TTL
    Cincinnati Area
  • cjeepscjeeps Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2011 Toyota Highlander FWD V6 Limited Nautical Blue Metallic color, Ash Leather interior with the following options: (Just came out of the factory w/ less than 5 miles)

Tow Prep
    JBL upgrade

MSRP $36740

Selling Price $32236 before TTL

Final Price $33693 after TTL with 0% APR 36 mo

NC/SC area
  • purple13purple13 Member Posts: 3
    Hello!
    We are in VA and in the market for a 2011 Highlander 4WD SE 6cyl. We test drove it and it was really a great ride. It is the 'basic' SE, so no NAV system
    I know the 0% financing or $750 rebate offer expires today but we are not worried about that.. just want to do the full research before purchasing (thanks edmunds forum people for all your advice in this matter!!!). I recd. the following internet quotes (obviously TTL not included). What are your thoughts?
    Dealer 1 : $33181
    Dealer 2 : $32266
    Dealer 3 : $32149
    Dealer 4 : $32729

is this a good price? I am not sure if they add additional processing/doc/transport fees to this price. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all these dealers calling today. Ugh.

Thanks much for any advice on how to go forward.
  • cjeepscjeeps Member Posts: 2
    Hey! What's the MSRP? Don't go too crazy with the options...you can buy these options online for cheaper and install them yourself such as carpet mats, splashguards, cross bar, body side molding, etc.

Also, on May 2011, Toyota is increasing their vehicle prices from 1.2 to 2.2 percent off MSRP.

2011 Highlander 4WD SE
    current MSRP $34750
    May 2011 MSRP $35300 (1.6% increase)

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+lexus+scion+2011+prices.htm

Good luck!!
  • alextdadalextdad Member Posts: 4
    Thinking about purchasing 2011 Limited 2wd..not sure about adding navigation.

What price is good for Dallas, Texas area?
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2011
    Bought a 2011 Highlander Limited 4WD with navigation, tow prep, floor mats as options. JBL sound with 4 disc CD player and XM/Sirius radio (90 days) is included in the navig package.

Nautical Blue and Ash leather interior. SmartKey push button ignition (cool).

MSRP was 40,720

I paid 36,150

I went to Carmax in Laurel MD.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I don't understand the post in March about a loud noisy ride. I have been driving mine for a month/700 miles and it is on the quiet side. Maybe different tires? I have the V6 engine and 4WD if that makes a difference.
  • fatalcurefatalcure Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    Picked up a 2011 Highlander SE v4 for 30100 + TTL (about 32500 OTD) in the Atlanta area.

Extra options that were on the sticker:
    Window Tint
    Carpet Mats
    Toyo Guard

Driving it about 35miles I was hitting about 26-27mpg according the car information dash and the drive was very smooth and quiet, unlike what a previous poster had mentioned...took the exact car I was going to buy for a test drive before purchasing also.
  • tricorntricorn Member Posts: 2
    Just signed P&S for 2011 V6 AWD. Options include:

Tech package
    Cold Weather package
    Tow package

After toke 500 rebate, it's $29,000 + TTL Decide not to go with extended warranty for now. Will pick up car Monday at Wellesley, very smooth and pleasant experience so far. :)
  • bluebmxbluebmx Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for sharing the info. Did you use Toyota finance or buy with cash?
  • highlanderthighlandert Member Posts: 1
    Hey FC,

What options package did you get? Did you get Leather/Heated Seat with this?

Looking to buy this in Cleveland soon.
  • magoomba92magoomba92 Member Posts: 2
    When I plug in for a 2011 Highlander SE V6 4WD, it comes up with $32,xxx as the invoice price.
    Then I do a used car search to see if I can save some money buying used, and I see some used ones listed for $35k to $37k.
    Why are the used cars more expensive the the TMV price on a new one?
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    you are not alone.
    Here is what I found out.
    For new car, MSRP is 99% fixed across nation. So when we shop, we try to look at invoice, rebate... so pretty much most people will able to get into a new car at the same price range (without tax, other fee).

For used car, price can be set to whatever the dealer want to set (often they set it high and expect to lower to get the deal). If you read auto articles, they keep saying "even a new car, as soon as you drive off the lot, it lost value", well, just like you mentioned, we didn't see value dropped.

In fact, if you do a search, even KBB suggested most car lost MORE than 50% value over 5 yrs. And yet, if you use KBB to get pricing, good luck finding a 5 yrs car has less then 50% value (especially for Japanese SUV or Minivan).

My suggestion is to skip the 1-3 yrs old used car because it didn't provide enough value. Buy new only cost a few thousand dollars more. Don't waste money buying "expensive" used car. Buy used only if you see GOOD value :)
    You really not going to save much by buying a couple years old used car especially if you plan to keep your car for long.
  • pungchepungche Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I am currently buying my first car and wanted to see if anyone had any opinions of the price quotes I have received. I used Zag to get initial quotes and then called the dealers to see what they had available.

All of the Highlanders have the tow package + crossbars + floor mats. I am getting a quote of $34,181. I called four dealerships and the range was $34,181- $34,589.

There are no incentives this month for the Highlander. The dealers said they would give me whatever incentive there was in June, if there was one. Is there anyway to find out what the incentive will be. A lower interest rate would be nice.

Thanks for the help
  • magoomba92magoomba92 Member Posts: 2
    loucapri: appreciate your reply.

I would prefer to buy a new vehicle given there's not much savings on used.
    However, Toyota isn't allowed to sell new vehicles to Canadians.

When our dollar was at 60cents, Americans used to buy snow mobiles from up here and screw over the American dealers.
    Now that the dollar is a par, I'm not sure why Canadian dealers are getting protection from Toyota. Hypocrites.

So much for free trade.
  • rajksrajks Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    We just got our highlander SE with tow package+cold package+matts + cross bars+mud guards

paid 32,600+TTL...Traded in my wifes Yaris 2010 for 13300, which we bought an year ago for $13700. I think we got a great deal on trade in and the SE
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I believe Zag price is about 300-500 over invoice in Seattle (I am in the same area :))

you should able to get around $500 under invoice. YES, most SE already comes with the packages you mentioned. My suggestion is just try to price a based SE without any package and 90% of the time you will get it for "free" However, if you start quoting with the packages, the sale guys know you "want" them and will start saying "you have to pay for it", tell them no package at the beginning.
  • fatalcurefatalcure Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

Yes Leather and Heated Seats are standard on Highlander SE.

Take Care
  • nixonnixon Member Posts: 11
    Purchased a Highlander Limited AWD yesterday for $36,000 plus TTL.
    Only options included were Gulf States Toyota add ons:

Floor Mats
    JBL 6 CD changer (who uses CD's anymore?)
    Tow Prep Package
    Vehicle Shield Package (did i really have to pay for the fabric coating on a leather interior)
    no nav no dvd

Finding an AWD Highlander in Texas was a real pain. I didn't like having to pay for the Gulf States Toyota options. Prices in Texas seemed higher than other areas.
  • yazyazooyazyazoo Member Posts: 20
    Just wondering how much do you guys think the Toyota 2yr/25k free maintenance is worth. I am comparing vehicle prices and want to factor this into my costs!. I am in California!
  • soupcxansoupcxan Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if there will be June incentives or are the deals better tomorrow for the end of May/Memorial day?
  • raul76051raul76051 Member Posts: 19
    I was wonder the same.. I would love to trade in my 2010 limited with nav and try to get an 11 limited with nav and dvd player.. Anyone have an idea what the going rate for trade in is for 2010?
  • soupcxansoupcxan Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    What is a fair price for a dealer demo Highlander? I was quoted $29.8k for a new 2011 Highlander FWD V6 with tech package and a few other options, which is what I was looking for. MSRP is $33.4k. Turns out they have this model on the lot as a demo with 9k miles. I drove it for a while without the salesman and it seems to be in great condition. We didn't talk price - I am a little leery of a demo - but what would be a fair discount below the new car price?
  • klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    Given the mileage, I'd offer them 20% off MSRP as a starting point.