Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• donnaz1donnaz1 Member Posts: 8
    Most of Texas, doesn't have a very good haggling market. I can get the vehicle equipped like that for about 38,000 to 38,500 in NC. I looked it up for a few cities in TX, and it was running about 39,800 with your options. Unless you are looking at going out of state, 40,000 sounds right.
    I bought my FWD V6 Toyota Highlander SE with the tow package (need for V6) floormat/cargo mat and Toyota Guard for a final price of 31,940. This includes all dealer fees, but not TTL (this can vary per state). I am in NC, and I was able to get my dealer to match a SC price off of truecar.com. I love silver, but no dealership near me had any in stock. I was able to have my dealer arrange to get my Highlander with pretty much the options I want, and I got exactly the exterior and interior colors I wanted. They were able to secure one from the stock that had arrived at port, but had not been sent to any dealers. There were no extra fees to do this (no matter what someone may say). Look at Toyota's website and build what you want, then make someone match it for you. It took an extra week or two for me to get it, but it was well worth it. Why pay 30,000 dollars or more for something you do not love.
    Your regional area prices may vary. I have learned that my area is much cheaper than most on Toyotas. Some people have had luck in going to other states, but that also depends on the laws in those states about taxes in buying the vehicle.
    The price may change next month, but you never know.
    Thanks, I think you are right. From what I am seeing, TX doesn't have these kinds of deals.
    No problem. Hope it helps your decision.
  • wheedler123wheedler123 Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I am about to lease a new 2012 Toyota Highlander SE. Could you please help and let me know if this is a good deal?

36mo/12K

Money factor: .00105 (2.5%)
    Residual: 22,592 (62%)
    MSRP: 36,330
    Cap:

33747 is invoice; the cap cost is $500 above invoice.

$416 + tax
    $445.12 TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT (with $1000 up front/out of pocket)
  • mws3mws3 Member Posts: 3
    I have an offer for a '12 Highlander, V6,4dr;4x4; Model 6948. Pricing: MSRP-$32047
    Options include tow pkg; 50 state emissions; and carpet mats for total cost of options of 542. Dealer Processing Fee=200. Taxes=1114 and 5 yr Tag=403. Final OTD costs is $31323
    Is this a good deal in the Mid-Atlantic states region (md,va, d.c., pa?)
  • gms111gms111 Member Posts: 3
    Closing on this deal today. $32,410 final price for FWD Highlander base V6 with Technology package, Leather seats, Cross bars, running boards, window tint, vechicle shield package. Approximately $700 under invoice price.
  • mws3mws3 Member Posts: 3
    Does that include all fees; tax; tags; destination and dealer fee (usually 200). Thanks and good luck
    p.s what region?
  • gms111gms111 Member Posts: 3
    No tax, paper fee, dealer fee is in addition....
  • rudinskyrudinsky Member Posts: 12
    Nav, Tow, Tint - $35,300 - What do you think?
  • roandbobroandbob Member Posts: 10
    Hmmm. This sounds really good, but is this a fwd or awd?
  • noswnosw Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Colorado. The deal for Highlander right now is 1.9% finance (60 months) which ends on Dec 5. I can wait 2-3 months so should I take this deal or wait for the better one? Do you guys have history about Toyota finance offer in the past 3-6 months? Thanks!!
  • ndl2napandl2napa Member Posts: 2
    Illinois - Purchased my new Toyota limited 4wd, tech package, heated leather seats, nav w/ JBL for 37.1K

Do you think its a good deal? hope this info helps.
  • harryo2bharryo2b Member Posts: 2
    Alright, just came across this thread and somewhat new to Edmunds as a 'member'.

Just recently bought a 2012 Mag Grey/Grey V6 Highlander, Tech Pack, dimming mirror, hood film wrap, door edges protection, door handle protection, tow prep, window tint.

Shopped around but always came back to the dealer in my town with the research/offers I had gotten from all over the state. Must have been four different visits to test drive and talk the talk. In the end I walked in with a VIN of the exact vehicle I wanted which was at another dealer. We negotiated a price off of that MSRP on that car $32,510 down to $29,000. Come back a few days later to pick up car (had to be shipped) and turns out we got a different vehicle/VIN!! Good thing is we made out because we got some additional options not on the other VIN. $33,108 MSRP for $29,000. Heck I'm happy and so is the wife since it's the new family crew vehicle! Total with dealer fee $29,199.00.

Do your research, use online sites specializing in price quoting/recent sales of vehicles in your area. If a member of USAA, use their service too as a comparison point. In all I came out below anything sold/quoted in this area. I'd recommend this dealer for sure.

I'm in Toyota's Gulf States Region.
  • leem2leem2 Member Posts: 6
    I have an offer for the 2012 base v6 awd for $27,500. Don't know if this is a good deal or not because I can't find a good site listing prices and don't trust trucar.com.

I have not seen this vehicle and would like to know if the stereo system is the same as the one included with "tech package". I don't care for sirius and bluetooth, I just care for radio with mp3 cd player and a USB connection for mp3 would be HUGE PLUS.

Also, it looks like the base model doesn't have outside temperature?? Is that true?
  • harryo2bharryo2b Member Posts: 2
    Tech Package includes USB/iPod/AUX connection with controls from the factory head unit.

If the stereo isn't an upgraded JBL system then it will be the same head unit/speakers.

To my wife and I the Tech Package was worth it for us on the 'base' Highlander.
  • leem2leem2 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2011
    If it is the same audio system, I wonder how easy it'd be to add usb support to it. Where is the USB connector located?

How good is BT in the tech package? I checked BT on other toyota models and found it not that great, particularly when road noise is present (>60mph)

What is "Driver seat with five 10-way power"? Can you adjust the height in the base model?

what is 2nd Row Seat One-Touch Fold Flat Levers?

Was it really $1800 extra for this package?

Thanks
  • cars25padcars25pad Member Posts: 2
    Paid $33,517 including everything but taxes and registration. Price includes processing fees and freight, with towing prep and roof rails (no floor mats). Could have saved another $500, but decided to take the 1.9% financing. Was offered a similar price from another dealer.
  • leolion9leolion9 Member Posts: 5
    I must acknowledge "True Car" for helping me out with the price for my new 2012 Highlander Limited.

Purchased this car (in Illinois) for $37,370, after foregoing 500$ manufacturer rebate in lieu of 1.9% financing. I agreed for the maintenance / breakdown insurance which was about $2600 extra. I also had the Viper remote start, lo-jack and a rust prevention, paint and leather protection treatment installed - for approximately an additional $1800. Not sure how good the paint, rust and leather protection treatment will prove to be, but the remote start has started to pay itself back this winter!
  • cars25padcars25pad Member Posts: 2
    I also bought the extended warranty for $1,895 for 7 years, 75K miles, but then my insurance company (GEICO) offered a similar plan for 7 years/100K for only $840 with $250 deductible. I called to cancel my warranty, but was offered a different option for $955, with 100K/7years of coverage with a $50 deductible. I had to redo the paperwork, but it was worth the effort to save almost $1K.
  • leolion9leolion9 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the tip, cars25pad!

I did not know this was possible. Was it a difficult task to get the dealer to modify the plan? I was thinking the dealer will not budge once the papers are signed! I too will try to talk to the dealer for a modification. (BTW, I am also with GEICO).
  • hankster9hankster9 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I just purchased a 2012 Highlander Limited with options added of voice activated touch screen DVD - NAV (code NV), Tow Prep Package (code TO), Cross Bars for roof rack
    (code 3T) and Carpet/Cargo Mat (code CT). This is the way the dealer had it in stock.
    MSRP on the sticker was $41,216.

TrueCar provided the dealer cost for this of $36,742 but that did not include the cross bars as that option does not appear on Truecar. MSRP on the cross bars is $229 so probably add another $175 to the Truecar dealer cost for a total of $$36,917. Truecar has factory invoice at $37,983 without the cross bars. Visit their website to learn the difference between dealer cost and factory invoice.

Through Truecar my request went to 4 dealers in my area and all contacted me via email with their quote. They were very similar in price and I ended up paying $36,849 plus tax, license, etc. The $36,849 did include the dealer delivery and handling fee they were charged by Toyota which was $810 on the sticker. My price included the $500 Toyota rebate currently offered, that went to the dealer to bring my price to the $36,849. I received 60 month 1.9% financing with zero down. Since I took the $500 rebate the 1.99% Toyota financing was not offered, I had to push for it but it wasn't too hard to get. It was a very smooth and pleasant experience. The dealer commented Truecar and similar websites will change this industry significantly in due time.

I purchased from Folsom Lake Toyota in Northern CA and all those who assisted me would get an A+ for their service. I have only had the car 24 hours but boy I couldn't be happier with the decision to buy the Highlander. Ditto for the decision to dig into Truecar and utilize their great website at no cost.
  • hankster9hankster9 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention the car is 4WD.
  • cuterashcuterash Member Posts: 2
    who is the dealer in Houston , i am looking for the same combination

please reply ASAP , How did you get the price / contacted dealers , i mean true cars , edmunds etc.
  • mgm17mgm17 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Just purchased a 2wd 2012 Limited with Nav, Rear entertainment DVD, tint, tow prep, running boards, and cargo + floor mats. Paid $36,850 + $600 dealer fees + $23 tag & title + tax. They gave me $750 off in lieu of 1.9% financing. Got 2.85% financing anyway. I pushed for the 1.9% and could not get it. I am very interested in the 100k/7 year warranty I saw posted a few days ago with a $50 deductible for $1k. Is that through Toyota? Any particular name or discount code I can request from the dealership?

Truecar.com was awesome in helping to negotiate the price of the car. :)
  • am1199am1199 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Car_Man,

Can you please post December residual and money factorfor a 36 month, 12K/year lease of the 2012 Highlander SE V6 4WD.
    I have an offer for 33,300 before 500$ incentive.IS THIS GOOD PRICE?. I will try to negotiate my trade in first.
    Thanks
  • abelsabels Member Posts: 1
    I have two Highlanders a 2003 and just purchased yesterday a 2012 model
    6951 which is the V6,SE FWD.I intially contacted 8 dealership got down to three and then two. The MSRP on the vehicle was $35,324 and after two months of emails I was able to agree on a price of$31,500. Treated really well by the dealer. I think that if you have the time the dealer needs to sell cars and they were willing to deal bottom line OTD $33,500. About $3800 not bad.
  • porsche993porsche993 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Purchased a 2012 Highlander Limited in Houston, Tx last weekend for 36899+TTL *and* 1.9% for 60mo with the help of TrueCar.com and Edmunds. Stick to your guns - dealers are willing to deal at the end of the year!
  • teebone413teebone413 Member Posts: 3
    hi,

you guys outside of socal are getting great deals. im jealous! :)

just paid 42.5 OTD for a white limited 4x4 with navi, cross bars, and mats.

truecar stated that the best price near me was 38K.. but that didnt pan out as ALL the dealers were just baiting and switching me and wasting my time. at the end of the day, i paid about 38.7 +ttl + fees for 42.5 OTD. not the best price, but got the EXACT model i wanted.

any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • g4indigog4indigo Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy a silver SE 4WD with black leather before the end of the year. Most dealers have it with Tow package and floor mat. MSRP $36,742.

What will be an reasonable offer? $32,500?

Thanks!
  • sixth_gearsixth_gear Member Posts: 5
    I used truecar to get the quotes from 2 bay area dealers for a 2012 Highlander Limited with Nav , Tow pkg, cross bar and a carpet cargo.
    Dealer one is quoting 37614 ie 41.1K OTD. {1st preference color available}
    Dealer two is quoting 37400 ie 41K OTD.
    Is there some scope for haggling for me here.
  • vnedmundsvnedmunds Member Posts: 4
    I'm from bay area as well. Just got the 2012 2 months ago using truecar. The car has the same specs you describe plus the rear entertainment package. Color is of my choice. Price is 500 off invoice. You should be able to do better than that. Dealer is sunnyvale.
  • lsyylsyy Member Posts: 2
    hi, I am looking for the same highlander,
    was the $750 rebate included?
  • hl_buyerhl_buyer Member Posts: 6
    I'm also looking for similar vehicle in MN area, pls advise of best offer!
    Pulled the trigger yesterday. 2012 SE V6 4WD silver on black with tow, floor mat, vip glass and wheel lock. 33,500+TTL. I did fight REALLY hard. Dealer is in Brooklyn, NY.
  • bonefish1bonefish1 Member Posts: 4
    Got one on 12/30. Black with grey leather, navigation, roof rack, 1.9% for 60 months. Probably could have negotiated harder and got them to compete against a few other dealers but I'm sure it wouldn't have saved us more that $500 or so. We were ready to pull the trigger.
    $38,400 +TTL. Got them to include running boards ($995) and winter floor mats ($250).
    What do you think?
  • sixth_gearsixth_gear Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2012
    I was able to close the deal near to my home for 38K+TTL for limited highlander on my color/option choice. The standard MSRP on it was $41216. I know it could have been better, but there were very few with my preference, out there in NorCal.
    As for Sunnyvale dealership, they had my preference, but my experience there was very bizarre. First off, the sales guy tries to sway me away (with barrage of unsolicited advices) from highlander by trying to convince me that Sienna or Rav4 was better for me instead. This convesation discomforted me, and threw me offtopic. Then when I mentioned truecar, they went into a tizzy. I tried to negotiate, the dude went and got his boss (who looked and behaved like a mobster). He rudely refused to negotiate and did not even take my name/number for further discussion even on my suggestion. I left there with a very odd feeling.
    I am sure I got unlucky with that duo, and there are good people working there too, but I ended up with talking to these bozos. Overall a terrible experience.
    Eventually I got the car of my choice and I was glad those rude sorry excuse for salesmen did not get my business.
  • thenicksterthenickster Member Posts: 1
    What dealer in Brooklyn did you use? We are not having the best of luck in Long Island. Are you enjoying the Highlander?

Thanks!
    Plaza Auto Mall. They still owe a running board and I am supposed to get it this weekend. I can send you the sales manager information after this weekend.
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    I visited a dealership here in NYC yesterday to test drive a Highlander SE V6 4x4. Afterwards, they had me wait so they could “run the numbers” for a lease (36mo/12k). It took them 20 minutes to come up with a lease payment. Funny, I could calculate a lease payment in less than 60 seconds using a regular calculator. They have computer programs that do the calculations for them. They take the other 19 minutes to see how they can screw you.

Anyway, I know the residual (61%-not verified, but it’s either 61 or 62) and the money factor (.00065-verified), so all I need is the sales price to calculate a lease payment. But I let them give me their offer. He comes back with a number that I kind of expected from them. $529/mo. Based on my calculations, that is using STICKER as the sales price plus $650 acquisition fee added on. I must look like a real dope if they thought I would even consider that. It was kind of insulting actually. Obviously, no deal was made, even though they were willing to come down almost $100.

But what was really insulting was them looking me in the eye and lying. I told them that I wasn’t interested in their deal because I had offers for $500 BELOW INVOICE. The manager tells me this is impossible, nobody would sell at that price because they would be losing money. When I said that they still make money because the dealer’s final cost is not factory invoice. This is a fact. So he keeps trying to convince me that they pay dealer invoice and it has to make “business sense” for them to sell the car. Typical dealer bs. NEXT!
    Does your INVOICE include $500 TDA?

for 2012 SE 4X4 V6, it is 32,229 + 810 + TDA = 33,539
    Yes, it includes destination charge + regional ad fees for a total of $33,765. But I added some options. My invoice is 36,032 (MSRP 39,303). I'm looking to get this for about $415/mo, with $500 due at delivery.
  • nikon5400nikon5400 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    ~15.5% under msrp or ~9.5% under invoice

not a bad deal I guess
    They told me the car I wanted was in stock and they guaranteed $500 below invoice.

When I got there (drove 30 miles from NYC), I was told that they didn't have the car I wanted (didn't have the color I wanted, the options I wanted, and a bunch of options I didn't want/need). And was told straight up that if I wanted the price they quoted me, I would have to take the one in stock. And they came back with a lease payment that they must have calculated on a broken calculator because they came up with $529/mo for 36mo/12k. The invoice was under 36,000; so the payment should be around $425/mo. I got up and said "I think we're done here and just walked out"

Classic bait & switch.
  • plinymanplinyman Member Posts: 2
    I thought I'd try and help by adding another data point. I just purchased a 2012 Highlander SE V6 with 4WD for $31,100 + $810 freight + $389 "processing fee" + TTL. The total came in at just above $33,400 after TTL. So far I couldn't be happier with the purchase!
  • shahaishahai Member Posts: 4
    Plinyman...I am in northern VA and was wondering which dealer you got this deal from?

What options you got?
    What was the MSRP?

Thanks for your help!
  • plinymanplinyman Member Posts: 2
    We got the vehicle from Springfield Toyota. It was a HL SE 4WD V6 with tow package and carpet floormat package. The MSRP was $35692.
  • vitamixvitamix Member Posts: 1
    who are these dealers? looking for HL limited, with nav, tow and cross bars. Im talking to toyota palo alto and they've quoted 38,300
  • steved192steved192 Member Posts: 21
    Hi- we are considering purchasing a 2011 Limited in Blizzard Pearl- it has NAV, JBL audio, running boards, and a couple of other small incidental options added on to it. 6500 miles, certified. Sticker price is $38,900, "special" internet price is $37000. I know they can do way better than this, even though they say they can't. What would be a good starting point with them? Edmunds says around $34,000. Thoughts on this? It's almost worth it to pay a few extra thousand and get the 2012 Limited with 1.9% financing! Thanks for any help.
  • sudkumsudkum Member Posts: 2
    Negotiated the price for 2012 HL Limited with almost all features (Nav+DVD, Tow, CT, 3T, WL, RB, MF, Exhaust Tip, Door Edges) for 39875, is it a good deal? Getting 1.9% for 5 yrs (or) 0% for 3 yrs. I wish they would give 0% for 5 yrs.

What do you think of the price? Is it good deal? Getting what we wanted in terms of Exterior color and interior trim. Pls let me know.