Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ihatevt2ihatevt2 Posts: 8
    I went and drove a new highlander tonight and really liked the car. Trying to get an idea of what I can get the car for.

I am looking at a Highlander SE V6 2WD and I want the 0% for 60 months financing.

Anyone think 31500+ttl possible? What have others paid in the Dallas area?

thanks,

Mike
  • hl_buyerhl_buyer Posts: 6
    Just bought the new highlander SE V6 AWD, very happy with new highlander.

MSRP 36742, price paid 33300 + ttl and 0% finance.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    edited May 2012
    Use Truecar.com which should give you a pretty good idea. Just keep in mind that they are usually shipped with certain options on them so figure out what the one you looked at had on it then add those. I would then go to the Toyota.com website and request a quote from an internet sales manager and see what you get. They seem to be pretty firm with their quotes. My Limited 4Wd V6 with tow Package, JBL system, Floor mats, and roof rack crossbars had an MSRP of 39,397 and sold it to me for $36,127 minus my trade plus taxes and minus a $1,000 rebate. My OTD with a $21,500 trade was $36,407. The selling price was actually $500 below invoice before rebate.
  • padypady Posts: 10
    edited May 2012
    I got offer of 2012 Highlander I4(base model) blizzard white with floor mat, widow tint, pin strip, life time power train warranty for $25900 including destination charge. Total Drive out $28600.
    What do you guy think? Please let me know.
  • thigh00thigh00 Posts: 1
    MSRP is 36971, got it for 32K .. OTD the was 35.1K. Good deal? ?
  • tabmantabman Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    I am looking for similar SUV in Dallas area and have been quoted about the same price...............but financing wasn't discussed at that point.
  • anodize1anodize1 Posts: 3
    That's a good deal, did you ended up buying the car? Is this a SE V6 AWD?
    Would have to have a detailed list of all the options to know if it was a good deal or not. Did that include the $1K rebate? What engine did you get? Did you check Truecar.com?
    edited May 2012
    Just got 2012 I4 base blizzard white + some minor option like floormats,door edge guard, pinstrips,tint, toyota guard package $699.(I hate this) other options I don't think they have any value except bump the MSRP up (MSRP like $31470)

I paid for around $25750 (include destination) + dealer fee ($599 I hate this too)+ tax (6%)+ tag + license plate + some minor fee. Drive out for this vehicle is $28600 with 0% for 48 months.
    I chose this option. If I paid cash, total drive out is $750 less ($28600-$750= $27850 in Tampa area). Took 7 hours... Really long time, financial guy threw in extra fee. I rejected each time....threat to quit. I think the deal is ok.

The car ride is very smooth and it has a lot of power.

Can anybody recommend a backup camera and place to install with this highlander? Thank in advance.
  • ihatevt2ihatevt2 Posts: 8
    Any body gettting a good deal in Dallas on a Highlander SE V6? I went to one delear in Mckinney but they tried to add in over 1K in add fees and real low ball offer on a trade. Which delears do not add 2K worth of options?
  • hokiemandanhokiemandan Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Hello forum -

I recently bought a brand new 2012 Highlander Limited 4WD w/Nav in the Northern VA area as follows:

Selling price (incl. Memorial Day Bonus Cash of $500): $35,791 + freight $810 = $36,601
    + 3% VA Sales Tax $1124
    + processing fee $389
    + dealer bus license tax $54
    + reg & title fee: $68
    -------------------------------------
    Delivered Price: $38,736 @ 0% APR for 60 mos.

MSRP: $41,203. The options I got were: Navigation, Tow Prep Package, Roof Rack Cross Bars and Mudguards.

I feel like $36,601 for the car was a good deal. They had me choose between $1,000 manufacturer rebate or 0% APR for 60 mos. I chose the APR ;)
  • babu99babu99 Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Dear kmd75,

May I know the name of the dealer you bought the highlander from?
    Also what is out the door price, destination charge and other charges etc?

Thank you
  • Hi,

I recently bought a 2012 Base FWD V6 Highlander with the following packages/extras:

Tech Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Towing Package
    5 Piece Mat Set

MSRP: $32,582
    Negotiated Price: $28,750 (About $1000 below Invoice) + $195 Doc Fee with 0% Financing for 5 years

What do folks think? Could I have gotten a better deal???
    The price was good, I think. 5 years 0% made it a sweet deal.
    My 2012 base I4 blizzard white, with car mats,toyota guard package, sealant... $25750 + 599 doc fee.
    Your is my car + $1000 for V6 + 1600 for tech package = 28300 + for cold package + tow package. Your doc fee is lower than my.
  • doc92doc92 Posts: 3
    i'm looking to buy a toyota highlander 2012 limited with Nav. this is a quote i have been given in Central PA. if someone could give input if its good quote , i will appreciate it much.

highlander limited with Nav, tow package, carpet mat/3rd row seating = 37904.

0% APR
    state tax @ 6% = 2306
    tag fee = 222
    remote start = 529

out the door cost = 40961.

thanks.
    First off you don't mention whether it's 4WD or if it has the V6, but assuming it is and it includes the 1000 rebate then it's too high. If that's without the rebate then it's a good deal. I just bought a 2012 Limited 4WD V6 with Tow Pkg, Floor mats, JBL Stereo, and Roof Rack Cross Bars. MSRP was $39,366 selling price was $36,076 then the $1000 rebate. My out the door in Ohio with a 6.75% Sales tax and a $21,500 trade was $36,407. By the way, I don't think you can get the limited V6 without the 3rd row seating. So it's not worth mentioning for a standard feature.
  • doc92doc92 Posts: 3
    it is 4WD, V6.

there is no 1000 rebate.

the question is should i haggle. and if so how much ?

thanks
    Go to www.truecar.com it is the most accurate site I have seen for Dealer Invoice. Are you saying that you are not taking the $1000 rebate or there isn't one. The last I saw it ran through tomorrow 6/4/12. For some reason they have quit showing Dealer Hold back on that site. Don't know if it's just Toyota vehicles or all brands. I believe the price I paid before rebate was close to $500 under invoice. I would at least shoot for that.
  • rob_v6rob_v6 Posts: 20
    you can get it at 1500 below invoice, walk away if they dont want to give it and go to other dealerships
  • Been in the market for a new Highlander SE and I've noticed that for about 10% more, I am able to buy new over a 2010 with 8k miles. Considering I am paying cash and plan on keeping the car for 7-10 years, should I even consider buying used? My options as of today...

Used: 2010 SE 4WD w/ 8k miles for $29,000 + ttl
    People are reporting getting the same car 2012 model brand new for $32,000 +ttl

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences.
    In the real world you are not going to get it $1500 below invoice. Maybe $500 plus a $1000 rebate. Holdback is only like $850 which is $850 below invoice. The Dealer has to make some money. Not going to give them away at a loss. Not sure what alternate reality you are living in.
  • toyguy5toyguy5 Posts: 2
    I bought a Highlander SE V6 AWD for 33659
    msrp was 37161 invoice 33862. This is las vegas area, three dealers only 6 AWD left in the city. Looks like a similar deal. I'm happy with it. I think I could of beat on them for 500 or so more.
  • mspsoccermspsoccer Posts: 2
    Just bought a Base, V6 4WD with Tech, Cold Weather, Tow Prep, Cross Bars and All Weather mats (plus the standard carpeted mats) for $31,100 + tax in Nebraska. Financed at 0% for 60 months. I believe this to be about ~$900 below invoice. Had quotes from 3 different dealers competing against each other and went with the lowest one that also happened to be the color my wife preferred. Glad when that happens!
    It looks like invoice is about $31,950 so you got a really good deal. Plus you got the 0% financing. Nice job.
  • toyota007toyota007 Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Just bought a V6 SE AWD Highlander with Tow Prep Package, Mats, Cross bars. MSRP was 36971. Paid 32100(including 1k rebate) plus TTL. Hopefully we got a good deal.
    Just glancing at Truecar.com you got an excellent deal!
  • cribbitscribbits Posts: 4
    One thing a lot of people are not aware of is that dealer pricing and factory incentives changed dramatically with the advent websites posting the invoice price. Dealerships now make a large percentage of their profit meeting guidelines set by the factory that aren't publicly available. So if a dealer is attempting to meet these guidelines (like a certain number of sales in a certain period) it is most likely they are going to take a larger percentage off of invoice than a dealer who isn't under such constraints.

And before you think that's crazy, I had one dealer instantly agree to what I was asking when I brought that fact up and another dealer acknowledge that reality - both from differeent manufacturers. So when they say "Oh we can't do that, we won't make any money" you can feel comfortable that you're not starving their children.

Best bet: ask for the fleet manager, big discounts mean less to him.
  • jammer0njammer0n Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    Looking at 4wd Limited, with Navigation and Rear Entertainment (9in screen), with Running Boards ($650) and mudguards ($60). Living in CT.

OTD price 43775
    41161 including the vehicle cost configured as listed above, registration fees, miscellaneous fees, etc. Not including the 6.35% tax. I'm not sure what was the dealer invoice cost on this one.

Also, I plan on taking the 0.9% incentive that is currently offered now.

Is this a good quote? or can I do better in this area?
    Looking at prices for my Zip Code in central Ohio. TrueCar shows the invoice at 40,135 and dealer cost at $38,391. I just clicked on the tabs for the options you listed. You didn't get floor mats? If so the full retail for them is $225 I think. Cross rails for the roof rack, special paint, etc.? I'm assuming that you didn't take the available $1000 rebate and instead took the lower interest rate? I also couldn't figure in the fees because they are different from state to state. What was the selling price before taxes, fees, and rebate if any. I think that if the figures I got are correct your deal is on the high side. I'm no expert so hopefully others will weigh in.
  • I purchased (leased) a 2012 Highlander SE 4cyl this past weekend and wanted to share experience in hopes of helping others in regards to good purchase price and leasing. I seen somebody posted that you can't get much below invoice price which I found not to be true. I started out by looking to buy an absolute base Highlander because that is what was in my budget. It was right before dealer was closing and he started recommending leasing. So the "great deal" he came up with was no money out of my pocket, no first payment, etc and the lease payment was $416 for 36 months, 12k miles, $19,576 residual, .0008 money factor on a 2012 Highlander SE 4cyl with towing package with a MSRP of $34,300. They gave me credit of $4,000 in trade value. Reality was it was $1,000 in equity on an '09 charger and $3,000 (car unseen) which was an '02 Explorer in rough condition I was happy to get out of my driveway. It actually had a trade in value of $1,500 to $2,000. I told them that I had not come to lease and not sure if it is what I wanted to do and didn't know if it was a good deal or not and I needed more time to research and decide. They had me do paperwork but put in writing that I had till over the weekend to decide and I can bring it back if I change my mind. So I did my research and decided I would be comfortable leasing but still didn't know if the deal was good. I went online and requested a price on a 2012 Highlander from another dealer. I was shocked by the price! It was '12 Highlander SE V6 and the details were $36,625 MSRP, $33,762 invoice, a $3,100 Internet discount and Toyota cash taken off the invoice price, tax, tag, and fees of $628 for an out the door price of $31,290. I am a skeptic and naturally I thought this was bs just to get me in. I went there and they did have it for that price but my wife didn't like the color. So he went in his computer and found a v6SE the exact color we wanted that he could have there in 24 hours. Due to the color change it was even cheaper with a total out the door price of $30,842! I was shocked because this was way lower than good prices shown on Internet for bottom line prices. I told him I decided to lease and see what the best he can do was. He came back and said assuming I did have $4,000 in trade value he would do that vehicle for same as other $0 out of pocket and payment of $403 a month. Keep in mind this was for a v6 SE with exact color and interior we wanted and the other was a 4cyl SE for $416. I told him to order it and went back to other dealership to cancel my contract. Of course they didn't want to lose the deal so he said the other place won't actually do that and once he removes my current deal out computer he wouldn't honor it again. I told him I would take that risk. Then after some time he says he keep everything the same and drop payment to $392 a month. I told him for a V6 and color interior I wanted I might just pay the extra $10 a month. He told me to go talk to the wife and then he runs outside and says he will drop payment to $375 a month. I am not saying that is an excellent deal but it saved me $1,475 off his original "great" deal. Sorry for the long post but the moral of the story is several things: 1. Don't get caught up in the bs that they are giving you an amazing deal and it is the best they can do. 2. Go through the Internet dept manager. They won't all do it but the guy at other dealership cut straight through all the bs and literally showed me EVERYTHING on his screens and went straight to best offer. They are different than the floor salesman who haggle you for every extra dollar of profit. Their job is simply to move cars fast and get the dealership to their sales quota. I don't know how they do it but they will in fact sell way below invoice. 3. Don't be afraid to get two dealers working against each other.