Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rmsnewcarrmsnewcar Member Posts: 6
    Took delivery of my new Highlander 3 days ago. I love it! Feel very tall going from a Corolla to a Highlander.

Convenience Package
    Power Seat
    Privacy Glass
    Roof Rack System
    Towing Prep Package/V6

MSRP $27,000
    Inv. $23,932
    Pd. $25,500 + tax, license, etc.

Thanks to all of you I know I made the right choice. Had a hard time getting the car I wanted. Inventory very short. They go out as fast as they go in. Still think I got a pretty good deal.
  • elizasmomelizasmom Member Posts: 8
    We used a buying service called CarBargains to get us the best deal on a Highlander. This is a non-profit company with very good reviews(the company is called Consumers' Checkbook). They obtain bids from at least 5 dealers in your area. The bids are relative to invoice (i.e., $XX.XX over or under invoice), so you don't have to specify the options you want. The dealers compete for your business, which is the only leverage consumers really have anyway.

Anyway, I got my report back yesterday, and I could not be more pleased. The lowest bid was $300 over invoice!!! The next lowest was $500 over invoice. The worst ones were about $1,000 over. I called the dealer service mgr who will now locate the car I want. I'll pick it up when they get it in. I will pay whatever the invoice is for the vehicle equiped as I want it PLUS $300. I did pay $160 for this service, but it was clearly well worth it. Check them out:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.htm

• classicbobclassicbob Member Posts: 4
    MSRP $32,120 PAID $28,756+ PLUS CA TAX & LIC. $3364 off MSRP! INVOICE:$28,256 PAID $500 OVER! This is such great deal considering the color and package. Most dealers wanted $1200 to $1500 over! Only thing we did not get was SK Console. Anybody know when they will be offered after market? NOTE: Dealers really do have "bonus"times if they sell X number of cars on a weekend they get a bonus so they are willing to deal. They had over 20 Highlanders on hand. Walked on lot Sat May 5 saw our Highlander,Faxed offer that night,$500 over Invoice, accepted that night, Drove off lot May 7. Great Experience Great Automobile!
    Toyota of Cerritos (562)860-6561

Sales Contact: Carlos Dulguime/Mark Duffy Magr
    purchased 2001 Highlander with the following:
    V6 2x4
    Color: Vintage Gold Metallic
    Interior: Leather Ivory
    SR> Sun roof
    BE> Side Air bags
    LL> Limited package
    EJ> Premium 3-in-1 Audio & CD Changer
    LA> Leather
    CF> Carpet/Cargo Mat Set (5-piece)
    TO> Tow Pk
    GN> Cargo Net (Wife Loves the cargo net!)
  • hlfan32hlfan32 Member Posts: 6
    I just picked it up this afternoon - it's the
    NON-Limited version.
    I got it with:
    FE, DR, PE, TO, AG CQ, UZ, V5, RF, CF
    MSRP = $28,308
    Paid = $25,936 + Tax&Tags
    $2,372, below MSRP

Hope this helps anyone in the tri-state area, and I have to confirm...the Bluestone color is as beautiful as everyone on the forum has been saying. I'm extremely happy with it.

Happy Driving!!!
  • elizasmomelizasmom Member Posts: 8
    We picked up the Highlander on Friday. Ours has an MSRP of $27,664. We got it for $24,731. That's $300 over invoice. We bought it at Beltway Toyota in MD. The dealers here also charge an ad fee (something you cannot get around) which came to $468 (2.1% of base invoice) and my dealer charged me a $225 prep fee (probably a rip off). With taxes and all these charges, the grand total came to $26,300. We did all this with no negotiating by using Car Bargains. I'm so happy with their service- telling everyone I know!
  • rickd2000rickd2000 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone from the Buffalo NY area who has purchased a Highlander. If so, what type of price did you get and what dealer would you suggest.

Thanks
  • hstanleyshstanleys Member Posts: 4
    Anyone in the Richmond, Va. area bought a Highlander.If so,how much did you have to pay.
  • jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    I bought our Indigo Ink Pearl V6 4x4 Ltd with almost everything through United Buying Service, available free through my credit union. Didn't get the mud guards or glass breakage sensor.
    $31,637, and no processing fee. I think that's about $900 above invoice. And a lot less than the RX300 we previously considered! Easy deal, but I had to listen to the rustproofing and warranty schpiels. Can't believe they still sell rustproofing.
    I did find it annoying that when you buy a trailer hitch they only give you half of it - you have to buy the bar and ball yourself.
    The Buying Service has selected dealers and trained salesmen. I dealt with Fairfax Ourisman Toyota in Fairfax, VA.
  • jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    I just noticed several comparison comments re the RX300. One of the things you pay for in a Lexus is the 'Lexus experience.' I have a Lexus (not SUV), and the 'Lexus experience' isn't worth 10 cents. Factor that into the comparisons.
    One thing I miss in the HL is the driver's seat memory - does the RX300 come with that?
  • baboonusbaboonus Member Posts: 4
    I'm jealous that people in the States are getting great deals. Unfortunately the dealers in Canada are still sticking to their guns, they are only offering token discounts.
    Has anybody got a good price in Canada? And does CarBargains.com do Canadian prices?

thanks
  • sjzsjz Member Posts: 33
    I've never bought a receiver type hitch that included the bar and ball, as it's impossible for the manufacturer to know what type/size you require. Some bars are straight, while others have a lift/lower offset to properly match the ride hieght of you trailer to the tow vechicle. Balls come in various sizes (i.e. 1 7/8, 2, 2 1/8, etc.). Too many variables for a generic package.
    -Steve
  • amk1amk1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased a HL in the metro Atlanta area? If so, where and how much. Thanks AK
  • palmerswansonpalmerswanson Member Posts: 9
    re: your april 29 post. sorry it has taken so long to get back to you - I haven't been on the boards for a while. If you are still looking for a Boston area dealer, try Expressway Toyota and Watertown Toyota. Both were willing to give me the $32,500 price ($3K off MSRP). The key to getting a good price is to talk to several dealers and be willing to walk away if you don't get your price. I really had to work to get the price I did - at first the most anyone would offer was $1K off MSRP. It was only when they thought they'd lose my business to another dealership that they were suddenly able to accomodate my offer.
  • integraintegra Member Posts: 8
    I posted a message earlier today about the dealer names on the regular HL board before I saw post 65. Thanks again.
  • mosquitolmosquitol Member Posts: 1
    Hello Integra:
    I purchased one highland at wellesly toyota (in boston area) this afternoon with :

V6 4x4
    Convenience Package
    Preferred Package
    Appearance Package
    Power Tilt & Slide Sunroof
    Power Seat
    Privacy Glass
    Roof Rack System
    Towing Prep Package
    Carpet/Cargo Mat Set (5-piece)
    Cargo Net (Wife Loves the cargo net!)

MSRP $30,933
    Inv. $27,525
    Pd. $28,800 + tax, license.
  • stachedstached Member Posts: 20
    I've looked at 3 Toyota dealers in Minneapolis's Western metro and the best deal I've found is 5% below MSRP ($1500 or so). Anyone have a recommended dealer / sales person in Minneapolis that will give a better deal? I'm looking for a 4WD V6 UNlimited with moonroof.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
  • maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    I am looking to purchase a HL, and was wondering if anyone has had a good shopping experience in a dealership in upstate New York. (we live close to Syracse, Utica, etc., but I am willing to drive for a bettter deal).

Do I remember right that someone had mentioned having purchased one a bit over invoice outside of Rochester?

I would be very interested in more detail.
  • stachedstached Member Posts: 20
    I've looked at 3 Toyota dealers in Minneapolis's Western metro and the best deal I've found is 5% below MSRP ($1500 or so). Anyone have a recommended dealer / sales person in Minneapolis that will give a better deal? I'm looking for a 4WD V6 UNlimited with moonroof.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
  • jminchlt1jminchlt1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a V6 HL and would like to know if anyone's gotten a great deal in the Charlotte,NC area. If so, which dealership/salesperson? Am willing to drive to other nearby cities for a deal.

Thanks!
  • myotheruserid1myotheruserid1 Member Posts: 3
    I have ordered my highlander

V6,AWD,Convenience Package, Appearance Package, Vehicle Skid Control, Security System Rs3200 etc.

MSRP $30,465
    Invoice $27,187 + tax and other fees
    (Includes destination charge of $480) and $392 of Ad fees (this dealer claims that this is not reimbursed by toyota, I am pretty sure toyota reimburses this back to the dealers.)

I paid $28,150 ($2315 below MSRP and $963 over invoice).
  • sxsahasxsaha Member Posts: 15
    Greetings,

I am in the market to buy the HL with LTD Package and if anyone has a good buying experience and good dealer info in the tristate are can you guys let us know.

Thanks in Advance
  • hlfan32hlfan32 Member Posts: 6
    Hi - I have included the following info - I had originally posted it last week but since you missed it - just to give you an idea of what I got: Bluestone V6 4x2

I just picked it up this afternoon - it's the
    NON-Limited version.
    I got it with:
    FE, DR, PE, TO, AG CQ, UZ, V5, RF, CF
    MSRP = $28,308
    Paid = $25,936 + Tax&Tags
    $2,372, below MSRP

I don't want anyone to think that I work at a dealer and am trying to get business - but since I was very happy with the dealer I got the deal from - if you'd like you can send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to forward you the name and number of the salesman and the dealer that I used. I originally had a 98 Toyota Avalon LEASED from Sloane Toyota in Glenside, PA - you would think they would have done more to keep my business, suffice it to say that they have the WORST customer service I've ever experienced in any car dealership.

Good Luck
  • awchan13awchan13 Member Posts: 44
    32,125 MSRP
    32,550 CAP Price
    3 year lease
    $0 down
    18032.79 Res.
    $615.79/month

This dealership claims nobody is coming off of MSRP, what's worse is people are buying it at that price. Don't shop at Capitol Toyota, San Jose.
  • slb26843slb26843 Member Posts: 2
    Got our Gold/ivory HL about a month ago. MSRP was 32,798 for a Limited model (V6, 2WD, leather, moonroof, 6 disc CD changer, etc.) Paid 29,647 + tax/tags. Total of $3151 off MSRP. Dealership was great. Wife couldn't decide between white or gold (had not seen a gold one yet). The dealership I was talking to was 60 miles away, the salesman lived 15 miles from me, and drove a gold HL home that night for us to come test drive and see the color. He let us drive it while he went into the house to eat his dinner. When we got back, the wife decided she liked the gold color, and we liked the salesman/dealership. The dealership searched the southeast to find the HL with the options we wanted, found one in Georgia and a couple of days later we got it.
    We love the car so far....best part is, salesman said if I refer someone to him and he makes a sale, he'll send me a check for $100. Got my first check last week!
  • lamm9733lamm9733 Member Posts: 37
    Last weekend Wilde Toyota (Milwaukee, WI) advertised a lease rate of $299 per month with $3200 cap cost reduction (3 yr/36,000). The buyout was not listed.
  • mobilmommobilmom Member Posts: 10
    I am in suburban Chicago and in the market for a Highlander. Anyone recommend any dealerships that are offering good deals??? Thanks in advance!
  • spali1spali1 Member Posts: 11
    Purchased last night. Picking up tonight.
    V6 2WD Limited.
    Leather, all the goodies except the center console. (Will buy as an accessory).
    $29,750
    Stock was limited to 6 vehicles and 4 of them were being shown while we were at the dealer.
  • sport7799sport7799 Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking for a good price on the 4x2 v6 highlander,and I see that Hlfan#32 has found a good price. I would like the dealer's name and telephone #. Thank you.p.s. If anyone else has found a good price please let me know my em-ail address is sport7799@yahoo.com
  • personna1personna1 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my Highlander Limited with the following:

Side impact airbags, floor mats, 6-disc CD/AM/FM/Cass 6 speaker stereo, dual heated seats, hood protector, leather package, limited package, console box, sun roof, towing prep/hitch, glass breakage sensor, tractional control, and wheel locks.

MSRP for this vehicle: $35,520. Price I paid: $31,752.00 ($500 over invoice, $3768 under MSRP) + $75.00 (transport fee: The vehicle was obtained through a dealer trade and I didn't want to wait three days for the trade to process. I wasn't willing to risk the vehicle becoming mysteriously "unavailable".) + tax + licensing.

I used the fax attack method for vehicle buying and never had to give voice to how much I was willing to pay for the vehicle. (Way cool!) I strongly encourage you to purchase the Fighting Chance package at http://www.fightingchance.com... This is where I learned about fax attacks. Also, be sure to read everything found at http://www.carbuyingtips.com.

=-Personna1->

• sport7799sport7799 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for the above vehicle,and willing to pay $500.00 over invoice. I'm willing to travel for it also. The options I'm looking for are roof rack, daytime running lights,mud guards,floor mats. color not that important. the invoice price for this vehicle including options is $23,170.00 plus destination charge of $480.00 I feel a fair price is $23,670.00 plus $480.00 Please e-mail me at sport7799@yahoo.com I'm ready to buy. I'm from new York state.
  • spali1spali1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone.I just picked up my new HL last night. Love it. The run down:
    Bluestone Metallic
    V6 2WD
    Limited
    Leather - Ivory
    Premium 3-in-1 6 disc CD
    Vehicle Skid Control with traction control
    Moonroof
    Towing Prep Pkg
    No distributor add-ons - like the bogus Toyo-Guard that is added on many of the vehicles @ $500 a pop.
    MSRP $32533
    Bought @ 29750
    Did I do O.K.? (I think I did at least average anyways)
    Comments welcomed!
  • munchkin1munchkin1 Member Posts: 1
    I live close enough to NC to travel for a good deal and dealer. If your dealer is in the westen Ppart of the state (west of Charlotte), please let me know. I could be your next $100.00 check. Email at Treetoto@aol.com
  • thlndrthlndr Member Posts: 4
    Inv 26000
    Paid 27000 (incl. adv fees of $350 + $650 over inv)
    MSRP 29600
  • koblinkoblin Member Posts: 2
    I just went to a dealership to try to negotiate on a HL V-6 AWD Limited with the following options: JBL w/6 CD, Leather, LL, Vehicle skid control, Sunroof, airbags, Center console box, towing prep package, Carpet/5 mat set, Hood protector, Alloy wheel locks and cargo net. MSRP was $35,160/ including destination and I invoiced the vehicle with options and destination for $30,558. Dealer then told me that there was an additional $500 for advertising. He also stated that they would not go below 7-8% over their invoice which included the advertising fee, bringing their invoice to $31058. Has anyone knowingly have to pay this advertising fee? Any feedback, suggestions or good dealers to recommend? I live in central NJ., so I could go to NJ, NY, or PA. to buy the vehicle. My e-mail is koblin@juno.com
  • jodysjodys Member Posts: 1
    I also live in NC and would like the name and location of your dealer. Can you post it here? Thanks
  • frankhallfrankhall Member Posts: 11
    Just pick up w/ TO,HE,GN,SK,DR,CQ,CF,RF FOR $28,068 (not taxes/tags). Sloane Toy. in Devon Pa. Bottom line sticker price was $29,068 and Sloane discounted $1,000. I really wanted silver and I think that hurt me in the final price. As of Sat. 5/26.
  • rshaw1655rshaw1655 Member Posts: 11
    Just got back from a local dealer, they had very few models in stock. The one Limited they have included a lot of options I'm not interested in. Has anyone else had this same problem; cars loaded up?
    Hey Koblin,
    I am also on lookout for AWD Limited HL. I stay in Phila. I have spoken to some delaers and all of them are quoting prices like 32K + something. It seems that you have come with a good deal with ur dealer in NJ. Can you let me know who the dealer is I dont mind travelling to get a good deal. If any of the town hall guys know at what price I should pick up the HL. I would appreciate inputs.

Thanks in advance
    Hey guys where are you located looks like you got a pretty good deal on the all wheel drive limited edition of HL.

Can yopu shjare your info with me thanks. you guys can mail me at sahasra@us.ibm.com
  • slb26843slb26843 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I don't live in the western part of the state. I live just east of Raleigh. The dealership is Keith Murray's Toyota in Goldsboro. The salesman's name is Trent Warren. This guy will do you good. We were extremely happy with him and the dealership. Tell him that I recommended you, and he'll make me a happy person again :-) My name is Steve Brown.
  • thlndrthlndr Member Posts: 4
    Mine is not a Limited Edition. It is a V6 AWD. I am in Cleveland, Ohio.

Toyota is sending these SUVs loaded from the factory. Buyers don't yet have a choice to get a stripped down version. Looks like Toyota can sell as many as they want loaded up!

Mine comes with the Appearance, Convenience and Preferred pkgs, roof rack, mats, net and console box.
  • laurroblaurrob Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone out there with a Sundown Red Highlander confirm for me what shade of red it is? I'm getting ready to order a Highlander, but can't tell what the red looks like. The paint swatch in the brochure looks more like a burgandy red rather than a bright red. I've been to several dealerships but apparently the red Highlanders are something of a rare breed since salespeople haven't seen them either.

Also, anyone with a good purchasing experience in Minneapolis, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Laura
  • parnikinparnikin Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have been quoted $24,200 on a 4cyl 2WD with QO package, Power Seat, Roof Rack, Alloy Wheels, Center Console and Floor Mats and live in Virginia. Has anyone done or can do better that this price?

Thanks!
  • personna1personna1 Member Posts: 10
    Koblin - The advertising fee is charged by Toyota to the dealer. They call it "TDA" which stands for Toyota Dealer Association. If your getting a good deal and it includes TDA, I wouldn't bother to try to negotiate it out of your deal. After all, the dealer is giving you a good deal and he still has to pay the TDA. If you're getting a mediocre deal, then you might offer to pay half the TDA citing that you perceive TDA as a cost of him doing business, not you doing business with him. TDA varies from state to state and sometimes even within the state. For example: In western Washington, TDA is $410. But in eastern Washington it is considerably less. Finally, my personal opinion is that 5%-6% over invoice is a good profit for the dealer. Hope this helps.

=-Personna1->
  • techgirl407techgirl407 Member Posts: 4
    Parnikin,
    I was quoted $24,167 from Mike Erdman Toyota on Merritt Island, Fl. Your price quote seems about right.
  • mallen7mallen7 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my V6 4x4 highlander in the Boston area. I got the non-limited edition with the sunroof - it appears that there's only 3 combinations availalble in the area (they are listed on the toyota.com site under 'build your own - popular combinations'). The one I bought has the apperance package, convenience package, roof rack, emmissions, pereffered package, moon roof, tow prep & hitch, center console, and cargo net.

I paid $28,500 which is about $1200 over dealer cost (from edmunds or consumer reports) and $2,000 below sticker. Using CarPoint and some other on-line service I got reffered to IRA toyota (Rt 1 & 114 in danvers area) - who agreed to a $28,500 price after some negoitation. They then tried to rip me off on my trade-in, so I walked out.

I then went to Woburn Foreign motors - Toyota, gave them the $28.5k number, and got them to give me the edmunds-trade in value on my car.

My take is I did OK, maybe even "not bad". IRA toyota was selling them right and left at sticker price, so they didn't want to deal with me since I wanted to work downwards..
  • hammersjslhammersjsl Member Posts: 11
    mallen7: Based on my deal of $1500 under sticker from Ira Toyota a few months ago, I'd say you did alright. I did, however, manage to get the Edmunds trade-in on my trade at Ira without any problems. Woburn Foreign motors was offering $800 under sticker, so the deal at Ira was about the best I felt I could do at that time. I wish that I could have waited a few months, but my trade-in vehicle was a 1993 Ford Explorer with 118k miles that was having significant mechanical problems on a regular basis.

Do you have any impressions of the service department at Woburn Foreign motors? I work in Woburn, so I plan to have service done on the car there if they have a decent service department.

Thanks.
  • testpilot950testpilot950 Member Posts: 3
    V6 4x2 Limited Electric Green
    It's got everything except heated seats.

Sticker was $33,450
    I paid $29,844 + CA tax & lic.

They kept wanting me to pay over $30K and were not budging. But when I made a check out for $5000 for them to take my price, they stopped with the shenanigans and took my price. $ talks.

Testpilot
  • goalie1goalie1 Member Posts: 3
    Found a non-limited, silver v-6 4x4, with roof rack, daytime lites, power driver seat, tow prep pkg, appearance pkg, convenience pkg, floor/cargo mats, and center console for about $27,600 including freight.

Used autobytel & found dealer in Milwaukee (Don Jacobs Toyota)
  • vladi1vladi1 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody has recent experience in Denver area? I checked several places and it looks like MSRP is the only option here.