Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Upcoming Wagons & Crossovers

12346»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Define great gas mileage? The base Forester, RAV4, or CR-V will manage that.

If those are big hills, try a turbo Forester, which offers ample performance and still reasonable gas mileage. Though it likes a premium fuel diet.

-juice
  • jlangdonjlangdon Member Posts: 11
    And I just love her!!! I have pedigree dogs that need transportation fairly often, so the 9-2X is the perfect size to haul them comfortably. I also have a 60-mile-per-day commute to work and I need safety, reliability and comfort. Lastly, I wanted a vehicle that was sporty, peppy, and looked great. The 9-2X fits the bill, and the free oil changes/maintenance and Saab extras completed the sale.

The Pontiac Vibe was my second choice; that's a really neat vehicle! But since I live in a tropical climate with freak storms and slippery roads, I opted for the Saab's extra safety features and all-wheel-drive. Those extras gave me more insurance discounts, too.

Glad the wagons and hatchbacks are making a comeback!!! I'm sick to death of drivers who are encased in SUV's that are clearly too big for them to handle well. I dislike the SUV gas-guzzling quality, too.

Julie
    Congrats, Julie. I think you're the first owner here on the Town Hall.

-juice
    Thanks, Juice! The dealer said I'm the first 9-2X owner south of San Antonio, too, LOL. Ours is the only Saab dealership for 250 miles; Subaru isn't around here, either. I do have a friend who has a Subaru Forester, but she bought it in San Antonio.

I saw a new Lexus wagon on the road today -- not all that impressive and probably costs big bucks! I'm really happy with my car.

Julie
    Yeah, AWD is probably not the most popular option in Texas! Subies were rare until the turbos started showing up.

Did you see a Lexus IS300 Sportcross? I test drove a sedan the other day with the wife, IMO it's ready for an update.

-juice
    Now that is one sharp looking 5 door! Subtle changes from the Golf but it looks 10 times better.

-juice
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    According to Automotive News (8/4) the Jag X-Type Estate will come here in November or so.

You know, a few years back, that really might have meant something to me, but now? Now there's a wagon in need of an update!

On the SportCross (IS300 in general): it should have had some sort of mid-span update in '03 (pony increase, minor cosmetics, etc.); this year at the latest. Now it's just a question of flowing some units until the new IS hits next year. Unfortunately, there probably won't be a wagon, and unfortunately, it'll get bigger. :-(

And Julie? Take it from a 9-2X admirer who owns the Lexus wagon: it's still very impressive from the driver's seat! ;-) That's because it's deliciously un-Lexus like to drive!

Have fun with your new toy!
    juice,
    I'm hoping the AWD will get me through Texas cloudbursts. We can't ever seem to get a gentle rain here -- it won't rain for a month and, then, woosh! Roads flood and folks are hydroplaning. Our roads get really slippery because of the time between downpours -- Lots of oil and buildup on the roads. AWD will help me out there, won't it?

Yeah, the Lexus was rather tired-looking, although it looked to be a reasonably new car. (How funny -- I have the TV on and a Lexus wagon commercial just appeared!) They'll need to update to compete.

Thanks for the good wishes, Wale! I'm positively giddy about having a sporty, roomy, peppy car that doesn't shake or whine, LOL! This is the first brand-new car I've bought in more than a decade.

Julie
    AWD will help you get up a slippery ramp or driveway, and lends a little extra control driving in the rain.

Good tires will do wonders for braking and handling.

Ideal would be to have both!

-juice
    Ya say ya wanna wagon?

I got yer wagon right here:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100526

Oh my goodness. Can you imagine pickin' up a couple bags of planting mix and a flat or two of Marigolds from Homeless Despot in that?

I can! ;-)
    And getting home very fast, yes. :o)

-juice
  • tzoomertzoomer Member Posts: 18
    Just saw a rear 3/4-view of alleged new 2005 Jag X-Type Sportwagon, with "a distinctive new bodystyle" that to my eye looks an awful lot like a rebadged Mazda6 wagon. Also powered by a 3.0 V-6 with 5-speed AT (but AWD and 7 more horses on Jag). The entire rear end looks like a Mazda6 wagon in layout and styling; also the roof rails, fuel cover, squared mirrors, side rub strips, wheel wells, and wheel spokes seem the same; and, disappointingly, there's no traditional "flexed hip muscle" look to the fenders. Both are now built by Ford.

Is that right? That the small baby Jag is built on the Mazda6 platform? So, Mazda owners are driving a Jag on the cheap! (Or Jag buyers are getting a costly Mazda?)
    Jag X-Type is on the Mondeo platform I believe.

There is a world of difference in materials, gear and running gear in Jag offerings from any corporate siblings, though.

Personally, I see value, just not enough to make me want the X-Type estate. I don't think it's inspiring to look at, unlike the Mazda 6 you mentioned, and there are other options in a wagon that call to me with much more of the siren's song. A4 or S4 come to mind immediately...
    Yeah, they're on different platforms.

Mazda3 shares a platform with the Euro Focus and the new S40 and V50.

Mazda6 will share a platform with the Fusion and its Mercury clone. The name escapes me right now.

The Jag has been around for a while. The X-Type estate went on sale in Europe before the Mazda6 wagon was for sale here in the US, at least. So I'm not sure I'd give Mazda credit for the styling.

Mazda did show the 6 wagon concept way back in April 2002, at NAIAS, but the Jaguar was probably already designed by then.

X-Type also has AWD, something only the MazdaSpeed version of the 6 will offer.

-juice
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I glanced through past messages and found nothing about the upcoming xc70.

Heard a new re-designed version will be available in a few months. Does anyone have info about the 06 xc70.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Dewey, be sure to check in at the Volvo V70 / XC70 discussion as well.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Isn't the Saab 9-2X basically an upgraded Subaru WTI? A Good car in any event.
    WRX wagon, but not STi.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes and no.

The 9-2x Aero is an upgraded Impreza WRX wagon.

The 9-2x Linear is an upgraded Impreza RS wagon.

Bob
  • I've had about every kind of car u can imagine (51 so far), and usually buy something that is versatile enough to actually haul something (except for the 10 Corvettes I've had). Best combination so far was the ElCamino (I've had 5 of them). They make several versions in Australia (favorites are Holden Maloo and Ford Pursuit), but for some reason, in the US we're still stuck with little pickups that don't have any performance and get poor gas mileage, and big behemoth trucks that no one can feed or park. Closest they've come is the SSR, but it's a joke, in looks, hauling capability, and price! I know the new GTO with a 6 speed is capable of 30 MPG hwy... so why not bring the truck version here? It's all about power to weight ratio and aerodynamics... DUH
    Maybe we're ready for another round of those, eh? Ford could use the Crown Vic platform (as opposed to re-certifying a whole new car and powertrain). GM could use the GTO platform and engine, though it might cost too much.

-juice
  • It's funny... if u look at the trucks that are racing in NASCAR, u won't see any jacked up 4X4s. It's ALL about aerodynamics !!!!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I always liked the VW pickup as a car based pickup. Handled very, and got 50 mpg with the diesel. Very usefull, without being jacked up, cladded and supersized.

It seems like car makers think everybody who might want a truck needs to tow a houseboat.
    Your choices are endless. Fiat makes one, Chevy makes one, VW makes one, and Ford makes one. All compact, perhaps even sub-compact in some cases. Cheap too.

They usually carry 500kg, not a bad payload for a little truck.

-juice
  • Well since I can't move to Brazil... or Australia... or New Zealand... or anywhere else they sell pickups that get good gas mileage, all I can do is [non-permissible content removed] :-)
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hehehehe superglide...Merry Christmas..Bah humbug...Jack
  • ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    Although 2006 is not half over, it seems like this might be the year of the CUV. There are several CUVs hitting the market this summer which are likely to have a big impact: Mazda CX-7 and the Acura RDX. These cars along with the ones already here or also on their way (Ford Edge and a Lexus offering) promise to really define this category as well as make for heated competition.

From what I have read, these cars are viewed as entry-level premium vehicles that combine performance, luxury and all weather capabilities. These cars make no pretense at being off road cars; they are car based vehicles which are designed to handle like cars and offer better gas mileage than their SUV counterparts.

These cars also offer a more realistic alternative to the majority of SUV owners: car designed more the way they actually use their cars while offering a more macho image than a wagon.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    are IMO really just station wagons (or hatchbacks for the smaller ones), which is really the most practical body style for most people. They just have to have that pretend "macho/SUV" look for all the people afraid of looking uncool driving a wagon.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    I'm a family man looking for a decent midsize to large wagon under 25000! Unless I missed something, there is only ONE, the Dodge Magnum SE which is under powered with a 2.7L engine! Is there a conspiracy out there with the goal of only rich people owning a decent size wagon! I REFUSE to go the SUV route! I despise SUVs, especially the gas guzzlers! I want a vehicle with versitility, fuel economy, decent power, and with at least 105 passenger volume all under 25000! Honda! Toyota! Hyundai! Is anyone listening!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    Expand your definition just a tad and you will find more choices. some of the newer "crossover" suvs are really wagons pretending to be SUVs so the image concerned people will buy them.

The Freestyle comes to mind. To me, it is just a 500 Wagon, especially if you get the FWD version. Nothing trucky about it. And you can get a modestly equipped one for your 25k, and it has a tom of room.

I'm not sure of your size definition, but to me the magnum is a full size car, even longer than the Freestyle. So, I don't know how the mazda 6 fits in your eyes. That at least is a true wagon.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,946
    Legacy wagon. (i'm sorry, but i have no idea what the total passenger volume is, but its only 6 cu ft smaller than the magnum in cargo capacity.)

You can get the magnum with a 3.5 for near $25k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Ditto the above, Freestyle, Magnum, 6 wagon, Legacy Wagon, and add Passat wagon to that list.

-juice
  • himi1himi1 Member Posts: 25
    There is no Soul forume so I'll post it here:

Kia has just released the first preview of upcoming Kia Soul concept, called Soul Burner.

Click here for high resolution image and other data:

Kia SOul Burner; high resolution image
    Seems like a good competitor for the Suzuki SX4.
  • mark23112mark23112 Member Posts: 1
    Front end looks too much like a Camry - needs to have a tougher look as does the RAV 4. Also, the sideview mirrors are too small and look like 1970s GM mirrors which were detached from the body on small supports. Make them larger and attach where the silly triangular small windows are. Otherwise this is a great looking crossover.

When will a hybrid be offered for the Venza and how about a 3rd row seat, at least for small adults/kids like the Mitsubishi Outlander?
    Outlander sales are dismal. I wouldn't use it as an example for Toyota to copy.

A short while ago I read that Suzuki outsold Mitsubishi.

I don't quite "get" the Venza, either, though.
  • bbrownpersonalbbrownpersonal Member Posts: 2
    What did you get and how much paid. thinking bout sale of low milage, 04 Matrix 6S with every option and great shape. Would that have been one you would have considered?