Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    Okay, I've got some con's for you: A center armrest would be nice. A standard spoiler would also look great with the type-S. The Bose and subwoofer could be more enhanced. Larger tires would help performance. Even though all those would be awesome additions, I am still enjoying the car even more each time I drive it!! :-)
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Besides the center armrest, people have also noticed the lack of body-side molding on the RSX.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    isn't that a good thing?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

My car lives in a public parking garage. I can't stay awake at nights protecting it from Impala and Grand Prix owners' door-opening recklessnesses. It needs the body-colored side molding.

On the other hand, because my car is the 'most stolen' model, I should camp out in it or something more often. Good thing Acuras have the electronic-chip key... don't think it's gonna deter a major thief, though.
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    I have molding on my civic and I have to say its pretty useless. all my dings are above it (damn fat suv drivers) and i'm insane about where I park it too. I'm always out in the middle of nowhere but of course when I come out of a store the guy with the biggest nastiest piece of junk truck is parked right next to me. he must be worried that someone would scratch his rust. its a losing battle :(
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    You can buy custom stuff at www.sportwing.com

I was going to get the dealer-installed molding from the Accord Coupe for my Prelude (they use the same paint code for the silver), but the stuff was pretty flimsy and didn't attach very well.

Now I just park waaaaay over there instead.
  • jfunkjfunk Member Posts: 25
    himiler-
    I have to concur with you regarding the "F-bodies" comments you made, I was specifically going to mention the wide rubber factor but you beat me to it, this is simply a matter of fact- not to just bash domestics.
    Regarding the weight issue, no the new Accord coupe probably wont be lighter than the G5 Prelude, particularly with a V6 but if they could keep it relatively low, say 3250 lbs give or take, I think would be acceptable- remember the M3 and CL-S weigh in at approximately 3500 lbs.

nippononly-
    Let's wait until we see what arrives on our shores before we chastise the new Accord, we may be pleasantly surprised.
    Honda has officially killed the Prelude as we know it, we are supposed to look to the RSX and new Accord coupe variant to fill the void according to Honda. The coupe variant will be more sporting, with enhanced performance, trust me on this, if I am wrong I'll eat my shorts. They have said the V6 will be a carry over,(as stated in Motor Trend 4/02) if this is the case it could still be tuned to say 220 Hp for the standard V6 Accord, and a rumoured 240 Hp for the sporty coupe.
    (These are my predictions, you can quote me on them come model launch)
    Not sure about the "next Prelude" being based on the S2K chasis- would be great, that is if Honda does resurrect the lude in a couple years, but I wouldn't count on it being the Accord coupe. I have also read rumours of a smallish RWD "3-series fighter" sedan in the Acura line slotted below the CL/TL, and in my opinion this is necessary for Honda/Acura to compete with the likes of the new G35, IS300, and the 3-series, and most importantly because I want one.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    IMO, Prelude replacement is uninspiring unless it has ATTS or RWD. I kind of wish the RSX-S had one or the other, too.
  • jfunkjfunk Member Posts: 25
    Heck, I just wish the RSX had wishbones on the drive wheels (not to open up that can 'o' worms again...but) From what I have heard there has been something of an internal battle at Honda over the dumping of the DWB's, even rumors that they may bring them back in a couple of years- at least in the Civic and I would assume RSX also. As I understand it they went with the struts as a cost saving measure, but later found out that there were really not much cheaper.
    (perhaps to tune them to the degree necessary as in the Civic Si/RSX) And the struts DO work well with these vehicles, though I would prefer the more sophisticated DWB's.

Curious, when you say "uninspiring"(in your last post) are you meaning in order for it to be a be a worthy successor to the last iteration of the Prelude?

That said, I would like to see the Prelude resurrected in say two years in RWD, I'm with you there. Hmmm, how about IMA's in the front to go with the RWD, or even ATTS in the front with the RWD now that would be interesting (hey even RWD has understeer!) but I'm sure that would push the price up to much- food for thought though.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they went to the struts as opposed to the DWBs to increase space in the passenger compartment, or something?

I think Honda is pretty serious about having a new prelude soon, but from the sounds of the various rumors floating here, I guess it is totally up in the air as to what it will be like. I totally agree it should be RWD, and I hope it is a little smaller than the accord platform, more like civic-size, but seriously sporty, as opposed to the EX/SI, which are semi-sporty. I am talking at least another 60 hp beyond the SI (has to be better than the last prelude), and a way better handling package. And hopefully better looks than the SI and the current accord coupe, which to me are both very bland! Oh, and one more thing, since I am dreaming here anyway: a six-speed.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sizzla123sizzla123 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all. I'm about 6'3 with long legs. I currently drive a Passat, which is very comfortable. Is the RSX large enough for a "tall" driver to where it feels comfortable, or will it be too small. I plan on going down to the Acura dealer soon to check it out for myself, but was wondering if you guys had any input/info regarding this subject. Thanks.
    Wow! I'm no longer the only one who pines for a front DWB setup on the RSX!

I've only been getting clobbered in here for a year about it.

sphinx99: ATTS works great, but was a marketing bust. Based upon the fact that the '03 CL-S has a LSD instead tells me that Honda found a better (and far less complicated) way to do things.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    that with an LSD the RSX-S will be a very good handler. If I ever buy one I 'll definitely install an LSD (like the RSX-R's or Quaife) in the tranny. I 'll most likely buy the RSX Type-R though if it ever makes here. It's supposed to be almost 200lbs lighter!
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    sizzla123:

I am 6"2 and when I sat in the car it's very confortable or I was just too excited to notice the confort.

Anyhow since this more for a 2 ppl car, it's enough for 6"3 and 4" more:) I wonder if the back sit can be folded, since they are mostly useless for long rides. Unless you know small ppl:P I think you can kill ppl at the back with long rides.

This car looks very small standing 5 meters from it, but if you actually stand beside it it's "huge". Get in and you'll be impressed.
    Because the city decided to powerwash its parking garages, all the permit parkers had to move their cars up to top levels while they blew winter's salt and oil into oblivion. Somehow, all the Integras and RSXs decided to park next to each other. It's too bad I don't have a photo... GS-R, LS, and RSX-S all next to each other. Of course, they bookended my car on purpose. Pretty amusing.

I am driving my brother and cousin home later today (after crashing at my place all weekend). They find rear seat of 2+2 Integra fine. Can anyone here compare RSX and Integra rear seat room from observation?
    There's far less rear-seat headroom in the RSX than the Integra (by almost 4 inches). More legroom, though.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    call the rear seat room in the rsx completely negligible, unless your throwin a couple of 5 year olds back there, or the local circous dwarfs. One thing i loved about the rsx when i test drove it was the steering wheel, great size and feel. I think its the best wheel this side of 50,000.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    I actually fit quite well in the back of my friends RSX-S, with enough headroom and legroom, and I am 6'1". The seats are also very comfortable.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    also 6'1, 180 lbs. maybe you have an abnormally long torso or were by yourself back their, laying across both seats. you are dillusional if you call that headroom.
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    I'd have to agree with (was is?) himiler. The Integra has more headroom but the RSX has more legroom.

I'm 5'11" and I was surprised to find the legroom in the RSX to be totally adequate, in fact better than some small sedans. The headroom is another story, though.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    What's the difference 20 HP?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    The blue delete button gives you the opportunity to delete your message should you choose to do so. Also, after you post a message, you'll see an edit button for 30 minutes. This gives you the opportunity to edit your message within 30 minutes of posting it. For more information about our community tool, click on the Town Hall Help link on the left side of the page. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • d5tanleyd5tanley Member Posts: 16
    i actually managed to fit 4 people in the back seat of my rsx the other day. none of them were comfortable of course.
    Yes, the difference between base RSX and g3 Integra LS/GS is 20hp and 17 more ft-lbs of torque which is a lot considering the base RSX 5-sp. is only 60lbs heavier than a GS.
    Also one has a 2.0L engine and the other 1.8L.

I wonder if there have been any road tests of the base RSX. I would imagine it should be in the mid 7's 0-60 and at least upper 15's in the 1/4 if not mid 15's. So it should be a little faster than a GS, but who knows...
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • ddavies3ddavies3 Member Posts: 2
    Husband age 62 ,salesperson had him floor it in second gear until 8000rpm's we took off like a bat out of hades.I think this car if purchased is too fast for him.
    However ,he still has a silly grin on his face.Do you think he should buy it. It appears not wanting to be driven slowly. Also the base RSX (tried both) seemed safer.
    Thanks ,
    Diane
  • stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    Let the guy have some fun. He will have that grin as long as he owns the car.

Something that puts a grin on his face
    is Priceless

Life is too short. Get the RSX-S and enjoy.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Anyone heard of anything 'firm' on the '03's? Dates? Changes? Colors?
    I know that Honda is infamous for the lack of info put out about for new models... but curious nonetheless.
  • acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    Diane, I say definitely let him buy the RSX Type-S!! It has a much stiffer suspension than the base RSX which also makes it seem much more stable on the road. I just can't say enough good things about my type-S!! It's a real challenge to drive the speed limit though, especially since you really can't feel the speed in it. I feel like I'm crawling and when I look at the speedometer and see that it says 80+mph, it just seems impossible (no speeding tickets for me yet though ;-) ...knock on wood). But I really do recommend the Type-S over the base RSX, just because I think it handles so much better!!! Hope that helps! :-)
  • sivarsivar Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying the base RSX coupe with manual transmission. When I test drove the car I really liked it. I also sometimes take long highway trips and was wondering what the engine RPM would be at about 75 MPH (my usual cruising speed).

Thanks,
    Siva.
  • acrsxacrsx Member Posts: 3
    Its going to be around 2800RPM - I notice 3000RPM around 80MPH. Or was that 85MPH? *grin*
  • vtecxtcvtecxtc Member Posts: 1
    my first post =D

anyways, im interested in buying a RSX TypeS but i'm gonna need my dad's help financially. this means i'm gonna have to purchase the car down in LA and i go to school in davis (sacramento area). now, i'm only gonna be home for like a week before i have to come back up for summer sessions (argh!!). is one week (maybe even less) enough time to "break-in" a car?

i read somewhere that you should take it easy the first 1500-2000 miles. LA to Sacramento is 400 miles!! =O sigh....what should i do?

has anyone here dealt with Acura 101 West in Calabasas? if so, please tell me your experience there. thanks!

-dustin
    Some people have been asking when the '03 RSXs are coming out. Well it's very rare that Honda/Acura starts new model production early, once they 're past the 1st year.. Usually Acura (& Honda) does not release new models till early October. They may make an exception with the RSX being that it was released almost a year ago and 4mos earlier than normal. Don't know but it doesn't seem promising. Most likely they 'll get back into the regular cycle which is last week of September - 1st week of October.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Anyone giving odds as to whether or not Acura will put in a center armrest?
    It definitely needs one because you got to put it on cruise alot or you'll get a ticket.
    However, I found myself shifting so much and going on curving roads thatI never missed the armrest.It does need one to store things maybe,next year.
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    Here's a question for people who own an RSX with the leather interior:

How durable is the leather, how well is it holding up to use?
  • ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    Will there be any changes to the 2003 model?

Dealer told me there are no new model for RSX until the Type-R come out. After that we might see new base model I guess. That is 2003 or 2004.

So is it easier to negociate(for a good price) a 2002 model since 2003 models are coming in?

How much did you guys haggle off the original price? Or how much did you save when you attempted to bargain with the saleman? Is asking 1000Can less reasonable? Should I ask for 2000Can:P
    ---
    Head room in the back seat are terrible. I am 6'2"
    and my head goes to the back window. If you are tall but you can take off your head then it should be a confortable ride;) The much inclided window at the back takes all the head room. This is just not a car for 4 regular sized persons(unless for short ppl).
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    ranald - it is way too early to tell.
  • ddavies3ddavies3 Member Posts: 2
    On my Integra because of the kidney shape every 2 years I had to relace the driver's side insert as it tore either from my jeans or leather belt.The Type S or the base to me is going to be a problem,it isn't soft and it 's tight.
    Also,I bet your'e going to have to wait on the paint quality and see on that too.Honda/Acura paint to me is not up to par.
    But, I can live with the above as the car makes you an extension of the road and makes the adrenalin flow.
    Joe 249
  • wendi66wendi66 Member Posts: 2
    Must pick color ASAP!!!!!
    Live overseas - must order off pictures alone! Is the RSX @ Edmunds.com SATIN or DESERT Silver?
    If it's DESERT Silver, I'm sold! If it's SATIN Silver, then I don't know what to do...the dealer only has Desert Silver or Black available.
    If I must choose a SECOND-choice color, ie Desert Silver or Black, WHAT SHOULD I DO???
    (Appreciate any advice - I'm a 1st time new car buyer!!)Thank you in advance.
    Ratsass, I got my Type S in NH no dealers in Maine.Edmunds to me prices cars a little too low.(mais oui)IMO$22900.00 for a Type S.I paid $23,170.00 no destination fee of $500.00 + $487.00 for rear spoiler.They wanted another $496.00 for fog lights, but I said no way. I think I can get them cheaper .Where I don't know.
    Also, a $99.00 Doc fee.Total of $23,756.00 but, ive got to pay 5% sales tax on MSRP $24.00 Excise tax on each thousand of MSRP@options.
    Someone might say I could of done better but non je ne regrette rein
    Mine is Satin Silver (trendy)hides dust and dirt better.Although Desert Silver looks richer to me and was my first choice and my wife liked Desert Silver better too. Her car is Titinium Pearl and beside my car,her car is more attactive. I'd go with what you like.
    I had to buy what came in.All I know is stateside everyone has Satin Silver.
    Why did you pay tax on MSRP? That doesn't make sense and it's illegal. I 've bought 7 new cars in my life so far and have always paid sales tax on the final agreed price which is usually $1-3K below invoice. I got my '99 GSR for $19.8K and paid sales tax on that price, not MSRP which was 22,650. I just helped my sister get an '02 Civic EX auto for dealer invoice $16,260 and she paid sales tax on that exact amount.
    Can you explain to us why you paid tax on MSRP when you got the car cheaper? I bet that extra tax money goes in the dealer's pocket. They play games like that to rip off the people.. They 're only obligated to pay the sales tax to the state based on the final sale price, not MSRP. BTW, 5% is very LOW! Where I live it's 7.5% and in and around NYC it's 8-8.5%!
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Harry, you pay an excise tax to register your car based on sticker and options. The tax is one of the highest in states It's $24.00 a thousand. So my Type S cost$23170.00 plus $487.00 for spoiler.Times that total by $24.00 and that's my excise tax to state of Maine. Also, I paid 5% sales tax on what I paid for the car excluding doc fee of $99.00
    So you can see why the people in Maine who go to Florida for the winter stay over 6 months,no excise tax and register their cars there. In Maine you pay this every year to register your car .Of course it goes down slowly as your car value goes down.
    I paid 5% Maine state sales tax on purchase price.Just looked but, $24.00 a grand for excise tax for registration actual cash value and that's MSRP sorry.Joe
    They are$15.00 plus $2.00 for your Vietnam ribbon .You'd love Maine.We used to have a lobster on our plates but,the people(natives Bit--) because no one can afford to buy it.So now we have a pinecone.
  • leo24leo24 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me where RSX is made? Is it in the US, JP, or somewhere else? Edmunds used to have that info right on the front page for every car, but I can't find it in the new layout. Many thanks.
    I was just at the dealer today, leo24. The RSX, like the Integra, is 95% Japanese parts... but it's from Sayama in Saitama, unlike the Integra, which came from Suzuka in Mie.
  • leo24leo24 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, verozahl, for the info. I *just* saw it under the specs&safety that the RSX is built in East Liberty, OH/Japan. I am not sure what to made of that slash. Well, it doesn't really matter anyway.
    The RSX is taken to Honda's Ohio facilities so that the people there can drool at something after building Accords all day long. The RSX is 95% Japanese, whatever that means... 95% means everything but the tires, most likely. Honda shifted from the Suzuka to the Sayama plant for what reason, I do not know at the current time.

The slash on Edmunds is basically thrown in there to increase sales of BMWs or whatever. No, the RSX is basically a Honda Integra built for American Honda's Acura division using left-hand drive and shipped over here. Rest assured, the quality is fine on Integras and RSXs.
    Wow that's some high registration fees you have in Maine! That's $550 just to register your RSX! Here in NY registration goes by the weight of your car which is why you will always see your car's weight on a NY registration card. An average 2500 to 3,000lb Honda (Civic & Accord) is only $35-45 to register a year.
    What you described is what most countries do in Europe but there it goes by engine displacement. Every year most Europeans have to pay an excise tax on their car which is very similar in price to what you described. My dad maintains a car there and it's about $300-400/yr to register it. It's only a 1.6L Nissan Pulsar which he brought over there from the US. That's the reason why they have 1.6, 1.8, & 2.0L BMWs there as well as 1.3 & 1.5L VWs, etc. My uncle owns a 518 Bimmer over there. Can you imagine a 5-series 3500+lb Bimmer with a 1.8L 4-cyl? That would be unacceptable here.. god forbid :-)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
This discussion has been closed.