Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    None of my friends like to sit in the back. My driving style makes their head a window breaker or roof knocker:) They sometimes sit sideways, I don't take more than 2 ppl in the car for long ride.

Never let a heavy dude sit at the back:B
  • ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    Obviously turning on the right side that is.

This noise happens when I go a little fast and sharp on the turn from an angeled or elevated side walk. Doing the same turn with slower speed doesn't produce that noise. Also this noise is not there when turning on the street.

I can't locate which side of the tire the noise come from. But it's a noise as if something is grinding against something. It doesn't sound metal against metal.

My friend with a Silver RSX makes the same noise(told me today).

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
  • amonteamonte Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a 2002 Acura RSX about 4 weeks ago - love the car so far, but I noticed something very strange this weekend. The paperwork and the dealer both told me that the car was black, and in fact, it does look black. But when I got up close this weekend as I was washing it, I could definately see blue specks in the paint. Upon further investigation, I decided to check out the sticker - only to find that it wasn't in the glove compartment with the rest of my paperwork (this is a whole other issue)...

so my question is to anyone who has a black RSX - does your car have blue specks in the paint, or is this just the Midnight Blue color? I am still under the impression that this car is black - it doesn't look blue at all unless you are right ontop of the paint and can see the blue specks...

also, the dealership mentioned that the normal maintenence for the car suggests the oil not be changed for the first time until 10K miles - that sounds ridiculous to me. When have others been changing their oil on the standard RSX (with auto trans)?

Thanks.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Oh, we have a black RSX-S, and it does look a little blue under certain light conditions. Particularly at night under artificial light. I guess that is the way this particular paint is - I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Oil Changes - yes, the manual does say 10K miles under normal driving conditions, and 5K miles under severe. I started with the 10K period, but after a couple of changes decided I'd rather go to the 5K schedule. Just to be on the safe side...
  • dom77dom77 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    My fiancee and I are planning to buy either an RSX (base model) or a VW GTI VR6. We prefer the GTI's speed and torque, looks (though the RSX is growing on me), and features, but we are concerned about reliability. We are about to enter 5 year doctoral programs, so we want a vehicle that will go at least 5 years, and hopefully more, without needing major repairs. I know Honda/Acura has a very strong reputation for reliability, but I haven't heard much about the RSX in particular.

Maybe it's too early to tell, but what do people predict about the reliability of the RSX? Consumer Reports predicts it'll have above average reliability, but doesn't give it the highest grade. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Neither of the two will be trouble-free, since there are always those "little things" that seem to go wrong. With proper care, either car should take you beyond 150,000 miles with minimal fuss, but Honda is recognized for making bulletproof engines (more so than VW, althought the VR6 is a very robust motor).

You'll get more power, utility and higher kit levels with the GTI. If you're getting an auto tranny, the VR6's torque is essential.

From what I have heard, the dealership experience at the Acura shop might be better than VW's.

Take each one for long, back-to-back test drives over the same route and then decide.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    In general, I thought VW's reliability has been average while Honda/Acura's reliability is always top knotch.

Also, what is the price point on each?

Finally, does one car significantly outweigh the other?

On another note, on the VW boards, there has been a great deal of talk about dealerships and Volkswagon not backing up their products.

In auto mode, the RSX is a little anemic unless you use the autoshifter.

A friend of mine has the RSX auto and really likes it.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    I have owned versions of each car - 1998 Integra GS-R and 2000 GTI 1.8T.... let's just say I'll NEVER purchase another VW product. Had the car 18 months and was in the shop about 12 times for broken things. Wouldn't have been 'that' bad but dealership service is/was horrible. I have chatted with many VW owners (here in Mpls anyway) and they agree.

If I were entering a 5 year program, I would def. go with the Acura. BTW - my bike did not fit in back of the GTI like it did in my GS-R -- it's much shorter.

Any other questions, just ask.
  • dom77dom77 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your thoughts, himiler, kevin111, and wayde! We only considered manual transmission cars. The price on the RSX (base model - we didn't like the sound of the Type S above 5k rpm - for me it was like a screw drilling into my brain) was about $3k less than the GTI (the only VR6 GTI w/sunroof we found in the area was fully loaded). That was a consideration, and coupled with the reliability/service reputations, we went with the Acura. You certainly can feel the torque difference between the two cars, and the RSX isn't really as much fun to drive imo, but it seemed like a good compromise between reliability and enjoyability. Just need to replace the stereo!

Thanks again for your feedback.
    Congrats on the new ride!

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
  • amonteamonte Member Posts: 12
    I've got a RSX-base with auto stick and I've noticed a few unusual things about it over the last couple of weeks. I've had the car for almost 2 months now - one of the things that I noticed is that when I start in the morning and pull out of my spot, when I first put it into drive and hit the gas, there's a bit of a "lag". When I allow the car to warm up for 15-30 seconds, this doesn't seem to happen. Has anyone else experienced this?

The other thing I noticed is that the overall acceleration of the car seems to change - some days it feels as if it has plenty of pickup, while at other times it feels labored and sluggish. Does anyone else experience this, or know what factors contribute to it? Could outside heat/humidity effect performance? If so, would it be this noticeable?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You should check out Edmunds' Maintenance Guide for any Recalls or TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that may be related to your acceleration problems. For additional (more focused) feedback..., you should also copy/paste your message into Acura RSX Problems discussion. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    After years of driving Honda Accords, my wife and I are considering buying a 5-sp base RSX with cloth seats. I sat in one yesterday, and the seats felt pretty firm. Has that been a problem for any of you?

The only experience we had with a car that had a very firm seat was when we rented a Mazda Protege several years ago, and we hated it.

I looked at the engine, and it sure looked like it did not have a cross-flow head. What's up with that? I thought all transverse-mounted Honda 4-cyl engines had the air intake in the back and the exhaust in the front, which seems like a nice design to me. Do you like the RSX design that has the fuel injectors, which might eventually leak, so close to the hot exhaust pipes?

Bob
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    Take a test drive. People and their opinions and preferences vary widely. I don't have an RSX but I rather want one, partly for the seats. I find them to be amazingly comfortable, but I like firm seats.

About the Honda trademark intake in back, exhaust in front... that used to be true but it changed in the most recent generation of Honda inline-4's. It seems with the intake in front and exhaust in back there's less piping to route (Honda's big on packaging) and the shorter/more direct exhaust path to the cat improves emissions, especially on startup. Plus now that Honda engines spin the same direction as everyone else's they might have an easier time selling motors to other manufacturers.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    See Acura To Offer Factory Performance Package for RSX Type-S

Cleveland, Ohio 07/11/2002 -- Acura will offer its first Factory Performance package for the RSX Type-S at dealerships nationwide beginning in early 2003, the company announced today.

The Factory Performance package features track-tuned shocks and springs that lower the car by approximately one inch. These shocks and springs combined with lightweight aluminum alloy wheels, 17-inch high performance tires, slotted brake rotors and performance brake pads give the RSX Type-S razor sharp handling, reduced body roll, increased cornering grip and enhanced braking performance. A rear wing spoiler, an under-body spoiler kit and an interior trim package featuring a Factory Performance shift knob and badging, give the car an aggressive, high performance look.

"Since the RSX Type-S is already so popular with the performance enthusiast market, it gives us the perfect opportunity to launch this exciting collection of factory high performance components," said Stony Furutani, manager of accessory marketing. "An RSX owner can now build a pure Acura performance vehicle with no compromises and without voiding the factory warranty on their car."

The Factory Performance package will have an MSRP of $4,800 plus installation. While Acura offers a wide range of dealer installed accessories, the introduction of the RSX Type-S Factory Performance package marks the first time Acura will offer a comprehensive high performance kit to be installed by dealers and covered under a factory warranty.

"The warranty coverage alone makes buying the Factory Performance package a smart move versus buying aftermarket parts," explained Furutani. "And since it includes only genuine Acura parts, you know you're getting the same high level of quality as the rest of your vehicle."

The RSX Type-S Factory Performance package will include:

- High performance, track-tuned shocks and springs
    - Slotted brake rotors and performance brake pads
    - Lightweight 17x7.5 inch alloy wheels
    - High performance tires (225/45VR17)
    - Factory performance rear wing spoiler
    - Under-body spoiler kit
    - Metallic look interior trim kit
    - Factory Performance shift knob
    - Factory Performance badging

Acura Factory Performance is a complete dealer installed accessory package that addresses the demands of performance enthusiasts by providing enhanced handling, aggressive looks, quality, and durability, while maintaining the legendary Acura driving experience.

Does this mean that the RSX Type-R is not coming to North America?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I don't know, but $5000 is seriously expensive for that hardware, unless they let you keep all the stock parts to resell.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    So the additional $5000 + whatever markup the dealer will try and charge will put the RSX firmly into $30,000 territory. They will only be making I believe 1500 of these.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I'm not sure who would pay that kind of tab when you can get a near-loaded 350Z with a full factory warranty and far more power for roughly the same price. That should be a $2000 package, max.
    Pictures at http://hondanews.com/forms/images/index.html

I agree with both sphinx99 and nyccarguy, too much moola for this package. Yes, a 350Z would be a better alternative given the additional cost.
    A limited-availability, dealer-installed, warranty-voiding, $4800.00 "Performance Package" that does nothing under the hood?

Wow! I hope that price includes a sobriety check, because you'd have to be stoned to pay $5000+ for that kit.

350Z and WRX dealers everywhere are saying, "Thank you, Acura!"

Acura fans everywhere are saying, "Thanks for nothing!"
    I agree with everyone that this is a pkg that is waaaaay overpriced... but it IS backed by the Acura warranty.
    17" wheels should be std on the S model, IMO.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    "Wow! I hope that price includes a sobriety check, because you'd have to be stoned to pay $5000+ for that kit."

It's also safe to assume that the dealer will charge an arm and a leg for installation. $4800+install+markup? Even in Canadian dollars it's a rip off.

wayde, I agree that 17" tires/wheels should have come on the RSX-S. Even if that higher trim cost a couple hundred bucks more.

I see the RSX-S with Performance Package as a temporary placeholder until the real RSX sports car, the Type R, debuts in N. America in 2004 (latest rumor I've heard).
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    No way they charge $4800+ install, that would be insane - install will be included.. The kit is overpriced, but it isn't _that_ bad. I'm sure there will be plenty of people lazy enough to buy it, especially if they only have 1500.
    From the July 22 issue of Autoweek:

"...The parts come only as a $4800 package. And you will pay extra to have your dealer install it; shade-tree mechanics need not apply. The upside is the kit carries a factory warranty. Only 1000 of the packages will be available."

Okay, a warranty is included, but sheesh! Figure on at least 8 hours of labor @ $70-80/hr, and you're left asking yourself, "Do I have to bring my own Vaseline?" OUCH!
    That is insane, that might be the stupiest thing I've ever heard.
    QED, baby!
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Something I've noticed with Acura & Honda - whenever you buy their accessories you get charged labor for the installation. That is just freaking nuts. It makes me not want to buy one, knowing that you are getting screwed at the dealership.
    Yup. I remember biting the bullet on foglamps on my Prelude... ouch!
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Acura: Base model. Add automatic and silver-metallic paint (no charge for the paint, like Audi or BMW \(>_<)/ ). Done.

Honda: EX model. Add automatic and, uh, silver-metallic paint.

There, that was easy. What's the stressing-out about? If you need $5000 upgrade packages, head over to BMW. If you really want a limited-slip differential, check out Nissan or Subaru, or go aftermarket if you stick with Hondas out of religous zeal.

If this sorry-excuse-for-an-new-autos market doesn't change by the end of the decade, the "Silver Bullet II" will be a RSX. >:)(Which, of course, is fine by me... standard keyless entry and automatic climate control, hmmmmm...!)
    But I think Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda, along with Honda, will get back to producing real sport coupes again. Dontcha think? >:(
    Speaking of BMW, we're actually discussing the $5000 RSX-S upgrade package. Interesting, huh?

(of course, that's before install, so shall we say, $6000?)
    Don't hold your breath waiting for Honda to get back to producing real sport coupes again.

When development dollars are going to cars like the Pilot and that newest rolling joke, the Element, I'm guessing there isn't much of a priority being put upon "driver's cars."

And don't forget that both Honda and Nissan are developing full-size pickup trucks. Those ought to be tons o' fun to drive, huh?

What the hell is wrong with Honda/Acura? They're trying to be Toyota. Dumb move.
  • gbt2gbt2 Member Posts: 7
    I have had a RSX Type-S since March of this year and have 4000 miles on it. I have had to add two quarts of oil. The first one went at 1500 miles and the second at 3700. Dealership looked at it and said no leaks and I should not be worried by the loss. Any one else experience this and is this really normal or should I be worried?
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    I would like to bring up some questions that other people have posted about earlier, but only a few responses were posted. So I am still unclear on these issues. Thanks in advance everyone.

1. How bad are the rear corner blind spots? One poster actually said they were as bad as the Celica.
    2. How is the braking? I know the RSX doesn't brake as well as a Celica, but I can't tell if that means the braking is good, bad, or average.
    3. Is the RSX being stolen as much as the Integra? Do the parts still fit the Civic?
    No worries.

It's a high-compression engine using very lightweight oil.

Some oil blow-by is to be expected until the piston rings wear in a bit. My Prelude used 2 quarts the first 5,000 miles, but it's fine now.

Just be sure to check your oil often.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    You said, "Don't hold your breath waiting for Honda to get back to producing real sport coupes again."

Isn't the Honda S2000 a real sports coupe? Or since it's a bona fide sports car (RWD, 2 seats, very high HP/weight ratio), it doesn't count as a sports coupe (FWD, 2+2 seats, very good but not superb HP/weight ratio)?
    S2000 is a demonic sport roadster, man. Very scary. But definitely a sports car. But I like coupes; can't stand my dad's MX-5 Miata, wish he would consider trading it in for a RX-8 (fat chance). His Miata has a LSD... plenty sports-car enough. Excellent leather/woodgrain interior, LSD, six-speed manual w/overdrive... that's a sports car.

I would call Integra/RSX a 'sports car' too, but I wouldn't mean that to imply it's the same as a S2000, M roadster, or 911.

As for RSX, theft data has not shown it to be anything like the Integra rates.
    S2000 = sports car
    RSX/Integra = sport coupe

vero -- What don't you like about the Miata?
    Miata is too small and feels it to me. S2000 is at least a little heavier, feels more substantial. And more than anything else, I like a roof over my head. Sport coupes are at least a little practical, and fastbacks moreso... coupe (not two-door sedan) body style is as "impractical" as I would want to go. Groceries, you know.

Oh well, ask me again in thirty years when I'm an old geezer.
  • gbt2gbt2 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. Now I feel better.
  • littleteglittleteg Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know how the sales are going on the new RSX/Integra? I haven't seen too many on the streets here in Los Angeles. I've actually seen more S2000's in my office parking lot than new Integra's.
    I'm sure the reason is that the new Integras are so damn ugly! I swear the front end looks like a Ford, especially the headlights. I was very disappointed in Honda when they unveiled the new Integra. I was ready to buy one until I saw how ugly it was. So I decided to keep my old 92 Integra until it dies. And by the looks of it, that won't happen anytime soon, even though I have over 192,000 miles on it. Just installed a new clutch too! The engines on these cars are bullet-proof, and I drive mine especially hard.
    I also lament the name change. The Integra name is so much more appropriate for this car. By the way, the Integra name is still used in Japan. Japan always gets the best stuff including the name!!!! Yes, I know, it's just a cheap marketing scam for the american market, just like the Acura name. And for all of you who have not been to Japan, the acura name doesn't even exist over there. Even the NSX is badged as a Honda.
    Isn't it about time to end the acura name farce?
    It's a great marketing tool used by every major car company, but admittedly, Honda does not manage the Acura brand well.
    I was doing some reserch on the internet, and found the nhtsa identified the RSX as a high-theft auto. It's unclear to me whether the theft rates will be as absurdly high as the Integra (anyone have more info?). Thought you guys might like to know.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/theft/2002hightheftlines.html

I would not be surprised if the RSX had a high theft rate. The Integra had a high theft rate. In fact, my sister's 99 Integra LS Coupe was stolen a couple of months ago. The thieves cannibalized the interior and some engine parts but didn't really get the engine. It was a total loss. She just purchased a Subaru Impreza WRX and has sworn off Acuras for the meantime. Luckily, she was not carjacked as the car was stolen from in front of her apartment in the middle of the night. It is unfortunate that the RSX/Integra, being a popular vehicle, are targeted for theft due to their parts. I might have to say that most Hondas fall into that category since Hondas are quite popular. Understandably so, since Honda makes great cars.

High Theft Rate = High Insurance Rates
    First thing, it's Integra/RSX.
    Second thing, we're well aware that the Lexus/Acura/Infiniti trio are brands made for use outside of Japan.
    Third thing, Acura brand is fine. How many more commercials do you need?
    Fourth thing, insurance companies suck. The RSX has not had very high theft rates; 'Honda' or 'Acura' sporty cars automatically get hit with high insurance rates.

WRX is too dang ugly. I like Subarus, but if I got one, I'd want the lights changed. Front of the RSX does not scream "Ford."
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    might as well call it the Ford RSX...or maybe Daewoo? :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

with all your points. Especially the one about the front looking like a Ford ... ??? I don't think so! Maybe like a Honda, yes, but not a ford - too much styling. I think they look better in person than in any pics.
    As far as the naming (acura, lexus, infiniti)... these companies are not stupid - they know that in order to sell a more expensive car in the American market they needed a new image. I'm sure they would have liked to have saved the millions of dollars in marketing and branding efforts. In Europe and Asia, the name isn't as important as the car itself, so they market their cars overseas without the addition of another 'brand'.
    verozahl, can you tell me where you got info about RSX theft rates? (Note I am just asking as a serious question, not looking to get into a flame war). I have not been able to find any info on the internet about the RSX, only about the Integra. For example:

HTTP://www.hwysafety.org/news%5Freleases/2002/pr051502.htm

Car Frequency

Integra 21.7

Wrangler 8.5

Cherokee 4WD 6.6

Prelude 6.4

Mirage 6.2

These are for the 1999-2001 model years, where frequency is defined as theft claims per 1000 car-years.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Looks are subjective, it really depends on who looks at them. Some people like the styling of the WRX, others don't. Same as some people saying that the RSX front looking like a Ford, others saying that it doesn't.

The fact of the matter is, the RSX and the WRX are fine automobiles and I wouldn't mind owning either one. But the RSX/WRX comparison is for another forum...so I won't clutter this forum with comparing them. :)
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Acura sites brisk sales of the RSX as one of the reasons (along with the TL and MDX) for record sales this past month. It seems to be doing okay in terms of volume.

I've seen the RSX compared to the Celica, Cavalier, Civic, and now Ford. People can't seem to make up their minds.
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    I remember reading something about RSX sales recently that had them slightly over Acura's stated sales targets.

IIRC Acura planned on a sales volume of 30K/year and the RSX was selling at a pace of a bit over 3K/month.
This discussion has been closed.