Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    All I would actually need would be the child seats to see how hard it is to put them in the back of the car. I am sure the dealer would not have a problem letting me install the child seats in the car while test driving. Since I am still working with my current car, that it something I will think about down the road. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Usually after you drive a car for awhile, you get used to the difference in visibility and stuff like that. But if the blind spot is that big a problem for you, then you might consider buying something else. Remember, this is a purchase you are going to have to live with for awhile. If you don't like it every time you drive, it's going to make you miserable.

Also, coupes like the RS-X tend to have reduced over-the-shoulder visibility. So keep that in mind. It's a down point of the curvy styling.
  • redwasabi, one sure way to make yourself feel better about the RSX blind spots: test drive a Celica.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    I think "Celica" is pig latin for "blind spots."
    My cousin used to have one of these. I actually got used to the blind spots after I drove it a couple of times. Talk about a noisy engine though! His was only a GT automatic, but the engine sounded like it was going to come through the front of the car when you floored it. The car handled like a race car though. I miss that ride sometimes... :)
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    For those of you who are complaining about the RSX blind spot, check out revdrluv's post # 1398 in the RSX vs. WRX forum:
    ateixeira "Acura RSX Type-S Versus Subaru WRX" Aug 26, 2002 3:33pm

He explains how to adjust your side mirrors to all but eliminate those nasty blind spots.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    all-too-common complaint of poor visibility in coupes, and the fact that carmakers are currently into building more hatches and four-door hotted-up small sedans, it is unlikely that the number of coupes is growing too quickly any time soon, IMO...

Vero is mean to celicas! :-(

But yes, they DO handle like race cars, a little noise and blind spot be darned!

I drove my friend's base RSX again the other day, and I have to say, I don't know how anyone could sit there with a straight face, and say that the RSX is smooth and quiet but the celica "sounds like the engine is coming thru the front of the car". These two are very much the same in the noise department, I think. In fact, I would say the RSX has a little MORE noise coming from the tires and the wind. In the celica, the biggest noisemaker by far is the tires.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Stuart's assertion is very interesting. This "verozahl" character is horrible, really, some sort of Honda fanatic or something. Let me roll back in my chair and stare at the ceiling...

... hmm...

WAIT! I think I got it! He's an Integra guy! that's why!

Celica guys and Integra guys in Japan are like Camaro vs. Mustang, you know. [Acura RSX = Honda Integra]

Displacement in the Celica engine is 1.8L whereas the RSX now has a 2.0L unit. Thus, the Celica could be expected to be the higher revver and make more noise.

But the rest of the comments make sense... and for anyone to cross-shop Celica vs. RSX based on noise is ... well, silly!

Vero's made a lot of comments about Toyota and Nissan, but, he's hoping that the price on the 2004/5 Supra isn't too high-! >:)

And if Nissan had a "250SX" S16 Silvia, oh, would I want it!!! oh so badly. RWD, too!

RSX is a nice sport coupe, but, Honda has effectively killed the Civic/Integra/Prelude triad by their own negligence. Idiots.
    Toyota, of course, went from making a ton of nice coupes to producing mostly SUVs/vans/Buick imitators. The Celica is the only car in the lineup I care about. If you would have asked me about Toyota in the mid-1990s, I would have said "oh MR2 coupe or Supra... gotta have!"

Mutant-Pikachu styling of the 2000-2003 Celica doesn't make my brother pause; it's the car he wants. Yes, the quad-headlights of the Integra are "an acquired taste" but so where those on the late 1990s Celica.

I'm reallllll sure that the lack of side-molding and a decent center console in the RSX are "acquired tastes" too! >:(
  • joe249joe249 Posts: 95
    Same thing aren't they?Also, got to agree w/Vero
  • ranaldranald Posts: 147
    They're similar, part of the same 'family', the K series.

The RSX-S, RSX base and Civic Si use the K20, in different variations. Displacement is 2.0 liters.

The CRV engine is the K24, 2.4 liter displacement by virtue of being longer stroke than the K20. Puts out more torque but possibly less peak hp because of a lower rev limit.
  • The service manager at my Acura dealer called up today and agreed to extend the warrenty at no cost on the engine to 160,000km. I just want to demonstrate that there is hope in a situation where everything seems hopeless and everybody seems to be an [non-permissible content removed]. Check msg #1384 for the original story.

I must agree this dude is very polite and knows how to please a customer. Also he's the only person who actually apologized for their negligence to me since the incident. I am touched to the tears now;)sniff - lol.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Sounds like you came out okay on this one. Good for you!
  • Just wanted to respond on the toddler/child seat question.

I have a quite tall 2.5 year old (3'4") who joins me frequently in my RSX-Type S. He sits in a booster seat, which goes in with absolutely no problem. I would think seats for smaller kids (front or rear facing) would go in fine as well, especially with the LATCH connectors.

In fact, the rear seats are perhaps more suited to kids than large adults! I also like it because the rear seats have cup holders in the side armrests, which is perfect for him, and his juice/milk.

The only caveat is that you need to watch for small hands when closing the rear hatch - when it's open, they can reach up and put their hands on the hatch rim.

Cheers,

Mike

PS - I've now had the car for about 3 months and love it. I also test drove the Jettas, and think the RSX has far more leg room in the back seat. The head room's actually not that different IMHO - when I sat in the back of the Jetta, my head also hit the liner when I sat straight up, and I'm only 6'....
  • How much can my son expect to see discounted on a new RSX Auto base model? The msrp is about 22,500
    Are we talking '02 or '03? If it's an '02, you should be able to walk that puppy home for under $20K without trying hard.

For an '03, you might be able to knock off $500-1000, but not much more.
  • My son would like to wait until next spring and buy a 2003, but on the other hand he needs a car by November and he may decide to save some money and purchase it now. This would be an automatic with some add ons. MSRP would be in the range of 21,500-22,000.
    It looks like your son has a decision to make, then.

Since there are not any changes between the '02 and '03 models, I'd advise he jump on a suitable '02 and pocket the savings. If he's not planning on loading the car up with too many dealer-installed options, he shouldn't have any trouble negotiating a price somewhere in the low-$19K range.

Make sure he gets the car for a price he's happy with BEFORE he starts adding optional equipment. That way, he's aware exactly how much each add-on is going to cost him.
  • I was wondering which RSX to choose from. The type is or not. Dont both start off at the same speed and are neck in neck, until a certain mph before the Type S pulls away?
  • Check the Acura RSX brochure. They show the HP and torque plots as a function of RPM. The base actually has a little bit more HP and torque at lower revs. But once it flattens off, the Type-S' HP keeps shooting up until it peaks out at 7400 RPM!

So if you're a driver who'll shift before 5 krpm, then the base trim will actually be a little faster (plus, base is also lighter than the Type-S). But for the true enthusiast who basks in iVTEC - shifting past or near the redline - the Type-S wins.
  • Hi all, I am considering buying an automatic Celica (base model GT) or Acura RSX (base model). But is there any data on the 0-60 of these two cars? Which one is faster? Consumer Reports only has data on the GT-S and type-S. Also, which car has more space (both cockpit and trunk)? Thanks alot for your input.
  • But the RSX is bigger on the inside with more trunk space, although neither of these cars will challenge a minivan for storage space. When I bought my Type-S, I actually had to drive a base model home, because the person who issued inspection stickers had gone home for the day. I definitely noticed the difference between it and my Type S, but it felt fairly peppy around town and had virtually the same stellar interior. Just like the two speedier models, the differences between these cars, perfomance-wise are fairly subtle. It ultimately comes down to which one floats your boat, and where you can get the better deal.

I almost bought a GTS, but it was more expensive, there weren't a lot of dealers willing to negotiate, and I ultimately preferred the Type S package.

You'll get a great car either way tho...
    If you are looking at base models, it will be a lot harder to find cloth seats in the Acura. But of course, if leather is what you like, then the RSX is the one for you!

I had the celica and the RSX side by side, and the celica will hold longer items than the RSX. It is also deeper in the cargo area, but this has the disadvantage of making it harder to reach down to get things out.

In cockpit space, the RSX wins hands down.

• Alright, so I'm looking at a base RSX, auto, with leather...want to add the rear wing spoiler, fog lights, and the titanium trim. And of course, I want it in a difficult to find color (eternal blue). There is 1 currently in the state of Illinois...doesn't help my bargaining power much.

So what should i be looking at as far as price. the TMV on Edmunds says about 21,570, and thats without those dealer options. Pricing I'm getting from dealers at present with those options is about 22,3 - 22,9. Would love to get it to 22 even, but is that even a good price??

Thanks.
  • Hi guys, thanks for your inputs. I tested drove Celica GT auto today. Not impressed. I think I am gonna go with RSX base model. What kind of deal can I possibly get at this time of the year with 2003 model coming out in October? Can I negotiate at invoice or under invoice price? Thanks alot! I'm in North new jersey by the way.
  • You shouldn't pay more than a few hundred over invoice for either model. I've seen the Celicas (back in May, in fact!) for just $100 above invoice.

welst10, since you're in north NJ, check out Montclair Acura (973-239-3700). I heard they got some good prices up there since they sell by volume. Talk to the Indian salesman there. A friend bought a 2003 TL this past March for ~$27.5k, which at the time (and even now) was a very good price. As far as Toyota goes, I don't know which one is good. But I can suggest to you to not even waste your time w/ Toyota of Morristown. What a poorly operated dealership. :(

Good luck!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,715
    The 2 dealers I'd reccommend in North (& Central Jersey) are Park Avenue Acura (Maywood, NJ off of Rte. 4) and Bloomfield Acura (Bloomfield, NJ).

Park Avenue was a great dealership to work with when my parents were shopping for a TL-S last spring (ended up with an A6 3.0Q). Very knowledgeable.

I've never dealt with Bloomfield Acura, but I think they are the #2 volume Acura dealer in the country. I was at a BBQ in Freehold, NJ and the owner of the house has an RL, MDX, 3.0 CL, & Integra which he bought from Bloomfield.

I'd stay away from Ramsey Acura (On Rte 17S) because they always seem unwilling to negotiate.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• Hi, Thanks lot for your tips. I went to my first Acura dealership, Wayne Acura, this evening. Within 15-minute negotiation, this guy who I think is pretty decent offered $20,900 (plus tax, license and registration) for a RSX with leather. The invoice is about $20,400 for this model. I think I am gonna check out those places you just mentioned to hopefully get this car for $20,500. I'll keep you posted.
    The base RSX has 4-wheel disc brakes. The Celica GT has rear drums. Urk!
    the base celica GT weighs 2400 pounds - in a vehicle this light, how much difference do you think it makes to have disc vs drum in the back? I think the fronts are going to all the work anyway, since there is so little of it to do. The weight distribution of this thing is something like 60% front.

When they get wet, there's a huge difference between drums and discs, even on the rear axle of a FWD car.
This discussion has been closed.