Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• silverrsxs1silverrsxs1 Member Posts: 27
    But the RSX is bigger on the inside with more trunk space, although neither of these cars will challenge a minivan for storage space. When I bought my Type-S, I actually had to drive a base model home, because the person who issued inspection stickers had gone home for the day. I definitely noticed the difference between it and my Type S, but it felt fairly peppy around town and had virtually the same stellar interior. Just like the two speedier models, the differences between these cars, perfomance-wise are fairly subtle. It ultimately comes down to which one floats your boat, and where you can get the better deal.

I almost bought a GTS, but it was more expensive, there weren't a lot of dealers willing to negotiate, and I ultimately preferred the Type S package.

You'll get a great car either way tho...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    If you are looking at base models, it will be a lot harder to find cloth seats in the Acura. But of course, if leather is what you like, then the RSX is the one for you!

I had the celica and the RSX side by side, and the celica will hold longer items than the RSX. It is also deeper in the cargo area, but this has the disadvantage of making it harder to reach down to get things out.

In cockpit space, the RSX wins hands down.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• clogoodieclogoodie Member Posts: 4
    Alright, so I'm looking at a base RSX, auto, with leather...want to add the rear wing spoiler, fog lights, and the titanium trim. And of course, I want it in a difficult to find color (eternal blue). There is 1 currently in the state of Illinois...doesn't help my bargaining power much.

So what should i be looking at as far as price. the TMV on Edmunds says about 21,570, and thats without those dealer options. Pricing I'm getting from dealers at present with those options is about 22,3 - 22,9. Would love to get it to 22 even, but is that even a good price??

Thanks.
  • welst10welst10 Member Posts: 49
    Hi guys, thanks for your inputs. I tested drove Celica GT auto today. Not impressed. I think I am gonna go with RSX base model. What kind of deal can I possibly get at this time of the year with 2003 model coming out in October? Can I negotiate at invoice or under invoice price? Thanks alot! I'm in North new jersey by the way.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    You shouldn't pay more than a few hundred over invoice for either model. I've seen the Celicas (back in May, in fact!) for just $100 above invoice.

welst10, since you're in north NJ, check out Montclair Acura (973-239-3700). I heard they got some good prices up there since they sell by volume. Talk to the Indian salesman there. A friend bought a 2003 TL this past March for ~$27.5k, which at the time (and even now) was a very good price. As far as Toyota goes, I don't know which one is good. But I can suggest to you to not even waste your time w/ Toyota of Morristown. What a poorly operated dealership. :(

Good luck!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    The 2 dealers I'd reccommend in North (& Central Jersey) are Park Avenue Acura (Maywood, NJ off of Rte. 4) and Bloomfield Acura (Bloomfield, NJ).

Park Avenue was a great dealership to work with when my parents were shopping for a TL-S last spring (ended up with an A6 3.0Q). Very knowledgeable.

I've never dealt with Bloomfield Acura, but I think they are the #2 volume Acura dealer in the country. I was at a BBQ in Freehold, NJ and the owner of the house has an RL, MDX, 3.0 CL, & Integra which he bought from Bloomfield.

I'd stay away from Ramsey Acura (On Rte 17S) because they always seem unwilling to negotiate.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• welst10welst10 Member Posts: 49
    Hi, Thanks lot for your tips. I went to my first Acura dealership, Wayne Acura, this evening. Within 15-minute negotiation, this guy who I think is pretty decent offered $20,900 (plus tax, license and registration) for a RSX with leather. The invoice is about $20,400 for this model. I think I am gonna check out those places you just mentioned to hopefully get this car for $20,500. I'll keep you posted.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The base RSX has 4-wheel disc brakes. The Celica GT has rear drums. Urk!
    the base celica GT weighs 2400 pounds - in a vehicle this light, how much difference do you think it makes to have disc vs drum in the back? I think the fronts are going to all the work anyway, since there is so little of it to do. The weight distribution of this thing is something like 60% front.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

When they get wet, there's a huge difference between drums and discs, even on the rear axle of a FWD car.
    ... that said, I just want to say "God Bless America" and pay my respects to the 9/11/01 victims and families on this 1 year anniversary. :(
  • acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    Actually, I feel that was quite appropriate!!! "Diddo" that last comment!! :'( Thank YOU beowulf7 for taking the initiative! With that said, I still love my RSX type S and would recommend it to anyone!
  • celicar1celicar1 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I'd add my two cents here in case anyone might be interested. I have owned 4 Celicas... all automatic GT's. I have also driven the RSX recently. I am currently deciding between the RSX and the GT. I think the Celica is starting to look dated and I am sick of them. I recently priced a basic no frill 2002 GT auto in North Jersey and found dealers will go well under invoice to make a sale. The deal was my 2000 Celica GT 38K (no frills) plus $6950 cash for the same 2002 GT (no frills).

The 2002 RSX automatic was a nice car. The design is contemporary enough but was more conservative that I had hoped for. I think they held back.

I hated the way you need to shift the automatic transmission from park to drive in maze pattern because of the "sportshift" feature. Makes quick "K" turns take longer. Maybe this is something I could get used to but it seems if you want a stick get a stick or design a better way to integrate this feature.

Despite the fact that the RSX has the larger engine... the Celica is much quicker from a stop. It is very easy to get going quickly and if you do a lot of city driving and need to get around slow buses... the Celica does noticably better. I wish the RSX auto wasn't such a dog.

I priced the RSX as well. This is a hot car and not as much opportunity to wheel and deal. Not a lot of inventory either it seems. Have seen plenty of Type S though.

My fave color was also eternal blue... which many dealers didn't order enough of so they are rare. I saw the locate sheet for the PA NJ NY area... only about 12 of them.
  • clogoodieclogoodie Member Posts: 4
    Well I just bought mine tonight. 22,300 Auto w/ leather...added the fog lights, wing spoiler, titanium trim, and wheel locks. I think it's a decent deal...not the best, but i certainly didnt get ripped off. It is in Eternal Blue, currently the only one in the state of Illinois. From what I saw on the locate sheet, theres a whole 3 coming in last week of sep/first week of oct.

Anyway, i definitely agree on the styling...it has a much more refined contemporary look than say the celica or eclipse (the other cars i was initially considering). It didn't take me long to decide that the looks of the celica and eclipse were too tacky and flashy overall. (that aggressive styling package on the Celica is completely absurd-looking) They were sorta-cool, but not something that would age gracefully. This is my first car, and I plan on having it a while, and definitely don't want to get sick of its looks.

As for the maze trans pattern, I agree its strange at first...but I think its definitely something that wont take long to get used to. From what I've seen (in multiple Lexus'), all cars with sportshift-type transmission have that kind of maze pattern. I played around with the sportshift today, and it will definitely satisfy any cravings i have for occassionaly shifting control (I briefly considered getting a type s until i saw the additional insurance costs...damn being under 25), but it is primarily a show-off feature. ("see, my car can do this...")

Anyway, it's late, so I'm going to go dream about the car...won't get it until probably Tuesday, as they have to install those options.
    It's your money, but why would you consider another Celica GT when you have so few miles on the one you own?

FWIW, you can get good gains (~12hp) on even the auto RSX by simply installing a CAI.
    Sure, no problem. I also love my RSX-S. Even more so w/ my most recent mods: Type-R rear wing spoiler and an amplified sub. I'd highly recommend these mods to any RSX owners who want to add a little pizzazz to the styling and oomph to the bass.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I'd also advise maybe you go with a manual transmission this time around:) They're a lot of fun ya know.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• willg1961willg1961 Member Posts: 12
    I love my car, but for financial reasons I must sell it. It only has 5,500 miles on it and is in mint condition. Since used prices aren't available yet from Edmunds, I'd like some advice on pricing it. Thanks.
    I'm sorry to hear that you have to involuntarily sell your RSX-S. I would recommend consulting Kelly Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com). Or search for "RSX Type-S" on eBay (http://www.ebay.com) and see what kind of offers sellers are entertaining. Good luck.
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    Hi All... I don't have an RSX (have a V6 2002 Altima, which I love), but we'll be buying an RSX for my girlfriend.

Don't just offer $100 or $200 over invoice... The Dealer (for the RSX) gets a 3% discount off of the BASE MSRP... (i.e., they paid LESS than the Invoice price). Keep this in mind when negotiating. Of course anyone with little to put down or bad credit won't have much negotiation leverage, but with car sales down these days (i.e., bad economy) ya just might score!!!

Good Luck!!!
  • vhngovhngo Member Posts: 1
    Is it a good deal, does anyone get a better deal? Thanks in advance for the input.
  • tnguyen74tnguyen74 Member Posts: 65
    I'm considering trading in my RSX-S in and can't find any values in Edmunds or KBB. Does anyone know what the trade in values are. Mine is Satin-Silver TYPE S with 20K.

I know don't want to get raped by the dealer.
    Why are you trading in your RSX-S? Got bored of it? I think you'll probably lose about $4-5k if you sell it privately when compared to a brand new car of the same make and model. Or wait a couple months until kbb.com and edmunds.com update their database.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    I sold mine for 21000 as it had all the goodies even stone guard on hood and mirrors plus lower units.I had 4000 miles on it.
    Car was too uncomfortabble and hard riding.I bought Bmw 5 and love it. I lost 3k on TypeS .That doesn,t in clude $1200 in sales tax.
    You'll like the Beamer better alot smoother and better torque and visibility not to mention the sound system,that Rich bass woofer in my S, I never knew it was there. Acura nice car but ,they should of kept the Integra.Nothin' like a Type R .
    Driving the 5 car makes you an extension of the road.
    RSX-S vs. 5-series BMW?

They're at totally different ends of the spectrums in price, too. :(
    how could you say the ride of the RSX-S is uncomfortable and hard, but an integra type-R is right up your alley??? Something seems inconsistent here...

There is what, about a $15K difference between these two vehicles (RSX and 5-series)? Or is it more?

joe249 was looking for a "pure" driving experience, and he was able to find it in the ITR and M5. I recall him saying that he liked driving his GS-R (now his daughter's) more than his RSX-S.

Imagine that!
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    Everyone has their own opinions, and different things make different people happy.

However, a thinking individual carefully evaluates everything he hears or reads and doesn't take things at face value or on faith, particularly in a public forum. And someone who seems to be looking for a 'pure driving experience', who praises the ITR and then puts down the RSX-S and all he can say was it was "too uncomfortable and hard riding"... well lets just say I won't be putting much stock in that opinion.

But you make up your own mind.
    I'm with you on that one!

I think it was joe249's position that the RSX-S has too much of certain things, and not enough of others.

But, yeah -- going from a RSX-S to a M5 isn't exactly a move most people would make!
    The difference in price between the RSX-S and a well-equipped 5-series is a *lot* more than $15k (assuming both cars are new).

For example, a friend just bought a new BMW 540, pretty well loaded, but paid over $60k!! For that price, one can get three (3!!!) RSXs! Or at least 2 RSX-S that are fully loaded, including the "2003 Factory Performance Package"!!

Maybe joe249 bought a used 5-series w/ the smaller engine (528) and got a great deal on it. Then the price difference might be $15k.
    and I was kind of thinking of the 530 anyway, not the 540. I am not at all surprised that the 540 costs that much, but I expect a 530 to go for around $40k (am I close?) and the RSX-S goes for about $22-24K.

• kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I believe Himiler was stating that Joe went to an M5 from an RSX-S. It is tough to argue about the improved driving feel he had in making that transition.

BTW, an M5 retails for $69k, but you will have a hard time getting one for that price. Expect to pay a premium.

Base price of a 530i is $42K, per Edmunds TMV.
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    I didn't read it what way originally. I thought he bought some used 5-series.

About an M5 I have to say nice choice. "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." However someone buying an M5 had *better* like it better than an RSX-S, as it costs 3x as much, or more.

But again, it comes down to each person having their own opinions, wants and needs.
    "I think it was joe249's position that the RSX-S has too much of certain things, and not enough of others.
    But, yeah -- going from a RSX-S to a M5 isn't exactly a move most people would make! "

I have a great deal of respect for Himiler's knowledge from his previous posts, so I trust him on this.
  • silverrsxs1silverrsxs1 Member Posts: 27
    ...I would trade it in a heartbeat for an M5 if the price were identical. Edmunds lists the M5 at well over $70,000, no doubt a great bargain for a German-built 400+ HP, RWD sedan.

But an M5 is little more than a pipe dream for me and thousands of other hardworking people who feel pretty happy to be able to afford sub-$25,000 sport coupes.

Among two-door, FWD sporty coupes in the >$25,000 price range, I think you'd be hard pressed to find one much better than the RSX-S, beyond that, comparisons are kinda pointless.
    Agreed.

I think joe249 was ultimately looking for something that neither his GS-R or RSX-S could reasonably be expected to deliver, hence his happy (and envy-inducing) decision to buy the M5.

But, he did make the point that he preferred the driving experience of the GS-R over that of the RSX-S, despte the acute lack of noise supression.

As for others making this same comparison, opinions will undoubtedly vary.
    I would like to see a comparison between RSX-S and 350Z, considering the base model Z is about $26,500. I know it is kind of apples and oranges since Z is RWD, but the Acura is a lot lighter, and I bet it has better handling.

Does anyone know if there are any "major" differences between the 2002 Type S and 2003 Type S? I had also heard that there was supposed to be a Type R coming out....anyone know anything about that???
    Nissan 350Z is about 500 lbs. heavier. It is obviously less nimble than a RSX Type-S. On the other hand, the 350Z handles better.

- The Track version (top of the line for $34K) is 0.88gs on the skid pad, the RSX Type-S is 0.83gs (C&D)

- 350Z is faster with 285HP vs. 200 HP. 0-60 - (6.3 to 6.7) for the RSX Type-S vs. 5.4 for the 350Z

- Much more torque in the 350Z

- For $26.5K, you get a stripped 350Z (not even cruise control!) vs. $22K-$23K for a loaded Type-S (comprable to the touring package that goes for +$30K in the 350Z)

- You also get rear seats in the Type-S that can be used, even if it is just for short trips.

- Trunk, no comparison - 17 cubic feet for the Type-S vs. 8 for the 350Z (and it is shallow!)

- Gas mileage - 19 vs. 27.

You get the idea. For all out performance, the 350Z is better, though less nimble. For value, the 350Z can not touch the RSX Type-S.

Does that answer your question?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    RSX-S VS CHEVY TAHOE; WHICH WOULD U BUY THX....
    Just don't compare the 350Z to the RSX-S with the $4800 factory "performance" package...
    I was thinking of doing exactly that - comparing the RSX-S with performance package to Nissan's lauded base model Z - that makes them exactly the same price, and it is not unfair to Nissan, since it claims that all the "excitement" is there even on the base model.

And kevin111: first of all, if Z is 500 lbs heavier, I would expect the RSX to handle a lot better, not the other way around as you stated. And I could go and compile all the numbers for myself - I was kind of hoping to hear from someone who has done a "seat of the pants" comparison between the two. I would do it myself, if it were not so darn hard to get near a Z right now .

I was being a bit facetious. Given the performance edge of the 350Z Base over the RSX-S + FPP for roughly the same $$, the comparison would hardly be fair.
    The skid pad difference probably has a little to do with the much beefier wheels of the 350Z

BTW, in terms of weight. Excess weight can be a detriment to performance, but is not an absolute indicator to handling. Just compare the RSX Type-S to the M5. There you have over 1000 lbs. differential. I do not think there are many people that will say the Type-S is a better handler than the M5.
    There are NO major or minor differences between the 2002 and 2002 RSXs, except the following:
    1.) MSRP is different (e.g. 2003 RSX-S is $100 more than 2002 model).
    2.) Firepepper Red has been replaced by Redondo Red Pearl.
    3.) The 2003 RSX can purchased w/ the "Factory Performance" package [rip off!].

Check Edmunds' 2003 Acura RSX review for confirmation.

There is no official word for when the RSX Type-R will be introduced to North America, if ever.
    Thanks for the info!!! Let me know if you hear anything else. ;)
    You're welcome. I don't think there'll be any other news about the '03 RSX, but if I hear anything else, I'll post it here.
  • rascalloverascallove Member Posts: 28
    hey, what new changes will be on the 03 rsx? Will it be better than the 02?
    You didn't read my post #1459, did you?!
This discussion has been closed.