Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• volcom378volcom378 Member Posts: 16
    someone asked before, when are the 04's comming out?
  • zenzikorazenzikora Member Posts: 64
    I have found an '02 5spd cloth, and the dealer has offered it to me for $18000. That sounds like a decent deal to me, but it's white. Anyone have any experience with white paint esp from Acura/Honda? Easy to clean or scratch? I don't mind the way it looks on the car, much better than most cars do white, but I'm concerned about the clean factor, or if it will be quicker to show wear and tear. Also, does that price sound fair? I got a quote on a '03 same options for $18715.
    Now to go work numbers, but I think this does sound a better option than the lease, where I end up paying more if I decide to buy.
    Also, I think someone on another board mentioned they thought the '04s came out in August. . .
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Anyone have any experience with white paint esp from Acura/Honda? Easy to clean or scratch? I don't mind the way it looks on the car, much better than most cars do white, but I'm concerned about the clean factor, or if it will be quicker to show wear and tear. Also, does that price sound fair?

I have white and I love it. Always looks clean....except for those times after driving on the highway during a snow storm. And since it's not metallic, you never have to worry about trying to match the paint if you do need to touch-up.
    I do have one or two chips along the leading edge of the hood, but I guess that is to be expected with 38,000 miles....not sure though.

Price sounds fair to me.
  • unagidonunagidon Member Posts: 20
    then $18000 is too high IMO. I think the dealer should have rebates on the car. I'm not sure what the American list is on a cloth base, but I would start negotiations at:
    Base minus 8% (dealer profit), minus $1,500 rebate, minus 5% depreciation + $500 for the dealer's profit. And I would never pay the so called PDI, etc.
  • zenzikorazenzikora Member Posts: 64
    Well 18715 is invoice exactly. I dont know if '02 invoice is the same, but it should be similar. if you take 1500 rebate off that, its 17215, and I'm not sure they'd sell for that. if you just take off 5% dep it's probably around 18000, i dont feel like doing the math. So if you simplify and figure 5% depreciation off of invoice, then its fair. If you want a rebate as well, then I guess it's high. I won't be sure what I'm doing till Monday anyway, since I may be selling my horse which raises my down payment.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    in sharing what they paid for their RSX, I've just re-opened this discussion: Acura RSX - What did you Pay discussion? For future reference, look for a direct link to this discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of this page. ;-)

Also, if any of you are interested in having an RSX Owners Club here at Town Hall, let me know. Basically what this does is set up a special area for you, linking all the RSX discussions together, and adding new discussions... as needed.

This will also make it easier for you to communicate with other RSX owners/enthusiasts on a lot of different subjects. You can post your responses here, or send me an email if you'd like. revka@edmunds.com

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • mws1672002mws1672002 Member Posts: 19
    I talked to an Acura dealer this past weekend and he told me the 2004 RSX's are due in October. No significant changes are going to be made to the line until 2007. Also he said the CL was being discontinued. I always thought this was a successful car.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    That's pretty surprising. Acura rarely offres rebates on their cars. The underpowered and bloated RL is a recent exception. Even the CL, despite its unpopularity, didn't offer a rebate, I don't think. But Acura is offering a $1500 rebate for the RSXs?

Where did you hear that? I don't see it listed here:
    http://apps.edmunds.com/incentives/step1.jsp?tid=edmunds.h..faird- eal..2.*

Anyway, I hope Acura does a reskin to it for model year (MY) 2004, otherwise, RSXs will be a tough sell for the dealers.
    How does a base RSX 5 speed compare with a base Mustang 5-speed. i know the mustang is 190 and the rsx is 160, but other than that, does anyone know whats a better buy? i was offered a brand new (4 miles) mustang for 10,000 i know i cant say no, i love rsx's so i just want to compare, anything will do. Thanks
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    A base 5-speed Mustang for $10k is a very good deal...
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    a substantial profit which will give you more bucks for a down payment on a RSX.The Mustang will never approach the Acura in terms of handling,reliability,gas mi.,fun to drive factor,and resale value.
    Here's an even better idea. If you're considering a base RSX, that means that you can afford a $19k car. So, get the Mustang, sell it for, oh, say $16k, add the change to your budget which is now $25k, wait an extra two months driving what you have now to save a little more cash, then get a 350Z!
    Take Sphinx's suggestion. Or at least, get a Type-S. I don't think a Mustang, on that old platform (now many years old?) can compare even with the RSX (not to mention 350Z). I've had my base RSX for 1 month now, and just absolutely love the smoothness of the engine, the steering feels, the seat, the red lights, and yes....I absolutely hate ths stereo! I sat in an S2000 that was in the Acura dealer's showroom, and the system in that car is just as horrible! Can't believe how Honda can be so cheap on the stereo's...
  • marcelkmarcelk Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at an RSX-S as my first nice car. After having gotten a Honda Oddysey for the rest of my family 3 years ago, the front end of the van is now plastered with dried bug guts and small pockmarks. Not wanting this to happen to my new toy, I've been thinking about a bra for my RSX as offered by the dealer.

But I'm not sure if a bra will have unintended consequences, such as damage from the water that may get under the bra, a line at the edge of the bra where the rest of the paint fades from the sun, etc.

What are the long term consequences of using a bra? Are there any hidden maintennance issues?

I'm not opposed to the idea of a black bra on a silver car due to aesthetic issues.

I also see reference to stongard.com, supposedly a clear and more expensive equivalent to a bra. Does anyone have experience with StonGard?
    are usually pretty lame compared to the aftermarket units.I believe the reason for this is that a car maker doesn't want to be liable for an accident where the drivers attention or hearing may have been hindered by a loud stereo.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    I have the 3M material on the front of my Prelude. It works much better than a traditional black vinyl bra, and is worth the $$.

I bought mine here: http://www.xpel.com
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Mustang: As much as I despise Fords, if somehow volcom is getting a new 'Stang for $10k, then get it. I don't know how he is getting such a great price. Maybe it's "off the truck"? : /

Stereo: unagidon, if it's the lack of bass you're upset about, get a subwoofer. I recommend the Infinity BassLink as a cheap, simple, effective, no-frills solution. I have it and love it. :)
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Planning on test-driving manual RSX-base. Could somebody, please, share experiences with RSX-base clutch (specifically, compared to 1995 Civic)? Is it hyudraulic? Short- or long-throw? Lihgt or heavy? Is take-up point clear and crisp? Is clutch forgiving in case of late/early letup?
    Many thanks - Vic
    I've driven both the RSX base and S model and the clutch is no different than any other.Various mechanics have told me if you put the trans in neutral at stop signs and stop lights it should last the life of the car,keeping in mind you don't abuse the clutch drag racing or otherwise.
    I was just wondering, and i dont feel like entering this post into the other board about celica vs rsx vs mustang. Why do people buy the Celica? i was just looking at it and on paper the RSX blows it out of the water, let alone on the road. Why will people spendmore money for less options, less horsepower and if they want reliability, why not spend less for the best? it is just mind boggleing (i know i cant spell) that people would actually buy such a low end, stripped car(compared to the RSX) and pay more? dont think that i am biased because i like the RSX, i own a ford so i know what crap is. i dont know what point i am trying to make, probably just trying to make sense on why people pay more for a celica when they can get more in an RSX? the Base RSX has more HP than the Base celica and the Celica gt-s has only 20 hp more! and its sticker price is almost 5 grand more. i just wish people would buy a car for performance and not cause their cousin joe shmoe bout a "cool looking car!" well his "cool looking car" will get burned repetedly by his cousins cheaper and better "cooler looking car" RSX. thats all i got to say, goodnight
    The two big advantages of the Celica that I can see are the awesome brakes on the GT-S, and the low curb weight (which is partly repsponsible for the good braking and track-car handling, both being things that the RSX-S lacks).
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    looks of both are very polarizing. I do not particularly care for the RSX myself, and of course the celica has a very polarizing design - love it or hate it usually. I like the look.

I can't emphasize the handling traits on the celica enough - "corners like it is on rails" is an understatement. That car weighs 300 pounds less than RSX - a very significant difference in this class.

Yes, if you base your decision STRICTLY on accessory content and SAE horsepower numbers at a given price, RSX comes out ahead every time. But this is a very limited way of making a decision between two cars.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Whereas a Celica with the RSX-S's engine and shifter... mmmm.
    THAT would've kept me in an Acura!
    what would've kept you at Acura? The RSX-S engine in a Celica?
    Affirmative.
  • esundersesunders Member Posts: 12
    I am thinking about buying an RSX, probably base 5 speed. I've narrowed my vehicles down to the Honda Accord EX coupe and Acura RSX. Like all Hondas, these have great reliability and some of the best engines out there. The Accord is a nice solid vehicle and all, but the RSX would of course be much more fun to drive, and also is a hatchback. I don't usually carry backseat passengers, so the small back seats are not a problem. So the edge I think goes to the RSX

A test drive is all fine and good, but since I have never owned a car like this, I am interested in how owners feel about driving an RSX everyday. I imagine the base model is somewhat easier to live with. How is it on long trips? Does it get tiresome and uncomfortable? Is noise a problem? I expect and want some road feel and feedback or I would have bought a Camry (shudder). But are the negatives enough to offset the obvious fun nature of the car in day to day use? I really don't see that being the case, but I wanted to hear what owners think before I sign across the dotted line.
  • muckmuckmuckmuck Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I will be having our 3rd child in August and was hoping to keep my RSX . Because they are still young(all under 4)they all need child seats, which will all fit in the back seat , however the center position does not have a top tether anchor. I was wondering if anyone has ever added one or a third seat belt in the center ?
      I obviously do not have the kids for long hauls , just short trip to preschool so I was really hoping to keep my Rsx-s.
      Any ideas or suggestions (short of strapping them to the roof) I would appreciate.
    the rear seat of the RSX is only designed for two passengers, which is why there is no belt or child seat tether in the middle position. I doubt there would be a way to retrofit one in there, or that it would be that safe if you did, and besides, could you actually FIT three child seats side by side in the back of this car? I would be surprised if so.

You don't have a bigger car you can drive the kids around in?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Automobile mag had a real nice "four seasons" review of RSX-S in the July issue: http://www.automobilemag.com/toc/index.html.

31K miles, and nary a problem with the car - loved the interior and the typical wind-it-up Honda/Acura driving experience, disliked the tire and wind roar. I think if you follow that link, you can get to the whole story.

I am a little curious as to why they had to put in two quarts of oil at 8000+ miles, then never had to put in any more after that...

They do fit three across and with the lower anchors all three attach , however I will need the top tether. The seat belt is not really needed with the new car seats , so I probably would not need that for several years if at all.
     Our other car is a Mini van , this is my commuting car and I will need to have all three kids very rarely.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    I think it is illegal to put five people in a car cerfified to carry four people. Even if the "people" are small enough to fit :)
    Honda engines tend to continue to wear-in until around the 10K-mile mark, so there might have been a bit of oil blow-by as the rings set.
  • edberg_dcedberg_dc Member Posts: 23
    I couldn't get it to come up. I just got the table of contents and then a link to their forums. Any able to get the text of the article??

Thanks, Kurt
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    A test drive is all fine and good, but since I have never owned a car like this, I am interested in how owners feel about driving an RSX everyday. I imagine the base model is somewhat easier to live with. How is it on long trips? Does it get tiresome and uncomfortable? Is noise a problem? I expect and want some road feel and feedback or I would have bought a Camry (shudder). But are the negatives enough to offset the obvious fun nature of the car in day to day use? I really don't see that being the case, but I wanted to hear what owners think before I sign across the dotted line.

40,000+ miles and loving every minute of it. True there is more road noise than your average car (Camry etc...), but I feel that's part of it's charm. I also love feeling the undulations in the road surface...makes me feel connected to the road and enhances the driving experience.
    I've taken my car on several "2 hour one way drives" and never had a problem with being uncomfortable. I think the seats are very comfortable. I also used to commute 40 miles (one way) to work every day and enjoyed every mile.

One thing I wish I had (or could get for that matter) is heated mirrors. They would come in handy on those icy mornings and on those mornings when there is dew all over the mirrors. I'm tired of wiping the mirrors with my hands in the morning only to have streaky mirrors after the dew dries.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hello!
    I test drove an RSX-S and the 350 Z back to back two days ago and never stopped thinking of the Type-S since then. I mean, the Z is great with its muted rumble from those 286 ponies and RWD but, the Type-S has a far more exhilarating ride, with "flick of the wrist" gear shifts and a far better cockpit feel, more so with the way the driver's seat wraps around you. To me, it's a lot more fun pushing the throttle to the firewall on a lower displacement, High HP, high revver than driving a more powerful, bigger engine that's low on RPMs. Just my personal opinion - not trying to rufle any Z feather here ;~) And for those who could afford a "Z" AND be able to live without the additional seating, Good for you!!!!!
    I've never stopped thinking of the type-S since the moment I got off the car; I drive a V4 Camry and a CR-V, both AT, extremely reliable, but, when it comes to the Department of Driver Involvement and Fun, :-( , well, you know now why I flipped all over the type-S. I drive a 110 miles a day (mostly hwy) and I think I could certainly use some fun.. I AM going in for the S in the near future. I have a few questions for the Gurus in this forum: 1)We got a baby coming in the next few months and I am concerned as to how easy it is to fit a baby seat at the rear. I will have the CR-V but, I still would need to be able to use the rear seats for the baby. 2) I don't remember seeing a thermometer - Could someone please confirm if there is one? 3) Type-S owners with extra long commutes, I would appreciate your comments...
    Thank You!!
    Do you have any interest in the RX-8? It combines the best parts of the Z and the RSX-S, plus you get rear doors which should make getting to the wee one much easier.
    I am definitely interested in the RX-8, but here are my concerns:
    1)$$$ in Z territory which is definitely one of the reasons I love the RSX-S all the more; Also, even if I waited another 9 months, I doubt if I could get one for Invoice + $500
    2)Reliability of the Blue Oval Vs Honda/Acura.
    3)Licence plates of RX-8 in front ;~)I drive between NJ and PA and they are mandatory in NJ...

Thanks for the response!
    While it's probably fair to assume that the RX-8 won't be as ultimately reliable as the RSX-S, there is very little, if any, direct connection between the RX-8 and Ford. Different suspension, platform, brakes, steering, engine...hopefully you get the idea.

Saying the RX-8 is a Ford product is akin to saying the RSX-S is just a glorified Honda riding mower. If you know anything about either car, you also know that both comparisons are baseless.

I've been a fan of Honda/Acura products (and their reliability) for 17 years, but that wouldn't keep me from buying the RX-8 if it does what I need.
    Reason #1 is probably the best reason of all. I don't think the RX-8 is going to be cheap, nor easy to get--and if you did manage to get one, you'd be the one eating the premium. The RSX-S is such a good value...
    Hi!
    Yes, Sphinx, value is my primary concern.I firmly beleive that most cars can be negotiated and bought for based off the invoice. Personally, if it is sticker or sticker plus, it is just not for me.
    Himiler, I totally agree with you on the counts of "Different suspension, platform, brakes, steering, engine..." part, but, to me, it just doesn't make sense to compromise on reliability and drive the car every day with even a trace of doubt at the back of my mind when I could have bought the RSX-S for at least 5 K less, not to mention my love for the car at first sight... Again, I definitely agree that it is a compromise on features, HP, trouble fitting the little sambino in the rear etc... but the Acura pretty much suits most of my needs and I guess If I have to skimp on those 5 grands, then I will have to live with those two less doors plus, my rear passengers if any will have to stick their legs into their own ears, unfortunately :-(
    I have never owned a Mazda and I haven't test driven the RX-8 myself, but I know enough about Honda / Acura to feel totally comfortable buying an AUTOMOBILE from them :-) Plus, as one approaches the 30's, somehow, it suddenly seems important to have a "luxury badge" parked in the dive way...
    As to the Child seat issue, it does look like at least one poster has been using the car to transport his childREN. So, I guess all I have to do is to go to a delaership with a borrowed child seat and try it on myself.
    Could anyone please confirm if the car has a thermometer and twin trip meters please?
    Thanks once again and Have a good day!
    LOL.
    NJExpress - I seriously recommend test driving the RX8 first. I believe the two cars are in different leagues, and if you seriously considered the 350Z, there's no reason to not at least test drive the RX8. Also, ever consider the TSX or maybe even the Mazda 6? Both not as sporty as the RSX, but still very fun...
    for your input....Yes, I will definitely try it, before I make a final decision. I did try the TSX, satin Silver with ebony int.,It was really neat and it was a nice peppy zippy sedan with auto / manual, which to say the least, was impressive. I also saw a carbon gray that blew my mind off (It's my favorite color!). It's the kind of car I would highly recommend to my friends; But, I so badly want a coupe!!:-)
    I don't seem to spot that many RX-8s, may be I am not looking at the right place?!
    But, since I got another comfortable 3 months to go, with the Camry just into 76K and still it's good old library quiet self, guess I could really afford to drag my feet and cross shop my heart out.
    Thank You!
    and was very surprised by the handling. If I could afford the V6 with leather, etc., I probably would have bought that car over the RSX. I currently drive a base with leather, and I have driven the Type S. But for city commute, I find I don't give up too much with the base vs. the Type S since max torque comes in significantly lower rpm. IF you have 3 months, you gotta go test drive everything! Just remember to post your impressions on each car...
    Try out the mercedes C230 too...
    The RX-8 will be arriving at dealers within the next couple of weeks, which may explain why you haven't seen too many on the road.
  • keybdwizrdkeybdwizrd Member Posts: 2
    First off, let me say that in many ways I love my Acura RSX type-S. Here in Chicago, on nice weekend days I love to take it out and run it around on the expressways. The fun-to-drive factor (when not in traffic) is exceptional. However....

I take the train to work on most days, but occasionally I have to drive my RSX to the office in downtown Chicago, or to O'Hare or Midway airport on days when I travel. Commuting in Chicago traffic during rush hour in this car is an unpleasant experience. The constant shifting between first and second gears in stop and go traffic for an hour or more is a crummy way to start and end my day. Road surfaces are noisy even at slower speeds, and the stereo system doesn't offer much (yes, it's as mediocre as everyone says).

Long drives on interstates aren't as bad, but this isn't the right car for those, either. The RSX is a hoot on expressways with turns and onramps.... for generally zooming around and having fun with the wonderful gearbox and outrageous handling. But for a five-hour drive at 75 mph on a straight-line interstate, the road noise and less-than-stellar stereo once again mar the experience.

I've had fun with my RSX type-S for the last 18 months, but will likely replace it soon with a 4.2 litre loaded Jaguar S-type.
    They're in totally different leagues, not to mention you can buy 2 RSX-S for one Jag 4.2S...

I admit that the RSX does have a hard ride for city driving. In Toronto, the roads are rather crummy with street car tracks, cracks from snow/salt, cheapie Canadian government not fixing pot holes, etc. So it's not a "great" ride, especially when in rush hour traffic. But I think the "fun-factor" outweighs the "ride quality". This is totally subjective though...

I've never test driven the Accord V6 coupe. But with 240 horses, a slick 6 speed shifter and a more "livable" suspension, I am sure it is one sweet machine. Although I too, like smaller, more nimble cars...

The stereo does suck. A decent upgrade on the Type S will run you between at least $800 - $1,000.

keybdwizrd - why don't you keep your RSX for the traffic free weekends, and buy a TSX or Mazda 6 or even a Honda Accord V6 for the weekends? Wouldn't that be still in the ballpark price range? Also, I'm sure you would get a heck of a lot more mileage... Don't know how reliable Jags are these days, but in the past...yikes!
    we have two small kids and as long as you don't have to take the child seats in and out to often they are not a problem . The kids just climb in and we buckle them up . It kind of helps that they are so close because they are always dropping things.
This discussion has been closed.