Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    means "your mileage may vary" - used to imply that other peoples' subjective experience may not/probably won't match your own.

The TSX is wonderful - a taut sport sedan that is not overly large. If you had an RSX-S before, though, you will notice less high-speed punch than you had before. This has the same power rating and about a 1/4 ton of extra baggage. But off the line torque is better due to the larger engine.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• indy6packindy6pack Member Posts: 10
    I did not have an s type...and i could def feel a more powerful car when i drove the tsx.
    Would you say from reviews the TSX is a better choice?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I test drove the RSX type S and the TSX 6 spd when I was considering buying one of them new ('04s). I wound up buying a 1 YO '02.

My impressions were that the TSX handled superbly and had nice accel but was not quite up to the RSX's level in either category. Still, would not have missed much there with the TSX.

The TSX had some nice extras, heated seats & mirrors, audio controls on the wheel, digital everything and rear seats that could actually hold 2 adults comfortably. But the TSX was going for list then and so it was a 5k difference that was not, for me, worth it. I mostly drive it alone or 1 pass, that's it, so YMMV :-)

And, of course, when I decided to go "pre-owned", I had no TSX option, so the $ diff was even greater. If I was forced to buy something now, the choice between an '03-04 TSX or '03-04 RSX would be much tougher. I might choose the TSX.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    Get yourself another RSX. Maybe get yourself into a Type S this time:) Did the person who swiped you stop? Glad you didn't get hurt. Credit Acura's engineering into the little RSX.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Hey, congrats on joining the 5-figure odometer club. :):(

If Acura could do all those things we want (AWD, 2.2 L engine doing 240 HP, HID headlights, better sound system, and maybe power driver seats) for $25k, I'd consider that a very good value.

My warranty runs out in 2006, but I don't think a major redesign will have been done by then. Acura will probably offer new/different colors and a couple other minor changes between 2005 and 2006. But I think in 2007 is when we'll see a major redesign (or I fear, Acura deciding to cancel the RSX).
    I should disclose that I wasn't a fan of the TSX when it debuted. Paying $27k or so for a car that only came in 4 cylinders (the same price as what a discounted 3.2 TL was going for at that time) was a step backwards, IMO.

Therefore, I'm incredibly happy that the new (2005) RSX-S produces 10 more HP than a much more expensive TSX. For the 24-y/o kid deciding between RSX and TSX, I'd say it's a no-brainer to get the 2005 RSX-S. And spend the extra $2-3k you'd save on mods (modifications). ;-)
    a really nice car, but between that and an end-of-run 3.2 TL that probably would have gone for a thousand $$ LESS this time last year, I probably would have gone with the TL too. The thing is, though, the TL was auto-only, unless you got the type-S, which would have been a lot more money.

I am also worried that Acura will discontinue the Integra line in the U.S. after '06. It just doesn't fit the line that well over here any more. The only option would be to take it way upscale from its present point, and maybe increase the price 20% or so. It would have to have the power seats and a much better stereo, and I would think there would have to be a NAV option and standard side air curtains as well. I would wish for optional leather rather than standard, but since it is the only car in the line-up with optional leather now, I kinda doubt that would happen. I just don't like leather.

As for AWD and a 240 hp (maybe even 250, 260?) 2.2L, that would be fantastic - I wouldn't mind seeing the redline rise closer to that of the S2000 to accomplish this...

:-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yes they did stop...she actually spun out as well and ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. I was very impressed with Acura when the body of the car did not cave in at all...that is why I was opting for another Acura...My fear in getting the RSX again is that I already had it and it was a bit strange driving it again this weekend for the first time since the crash....
    The other option to similar style is the mercedes c230...any thoughts on that one?
  • bread8bread8 Member Posts: 16
    I bought an '04 type-s 3 days ago. I thought about waiting for the '05, but did not think that it would be worth the extra money. As to the changes, the car was engineered for 16" wheels and I think it handles great as is. The addition of 17" rims will probably degrade the ride to some extent for the sake of more grip. The "boy racer" body additions like the side skirts and spoiler seem to mess up the nice clean lines of the car and make it less stealthy. Unless the torque was similarly increased, I think that the 10 horsepower increase is probably illusory. The extra "power" does decrease the EPA fuel efficiency estimate.
    This is my first Acura/Honda and I am impressed. The car is well put together and feels "tight".
    The dealer was awesome and was lower than the target price along with the 2.9% financing.
    WAY TO GO! I think you will love this car - it is so much fun, with good fuel economy as a bonus.

I wonder if dealers are dealing extra hard with the imminent arrival of '05s. Probably, as they will look a little different and make it obvious that the '04s are the "old" model...

Congrats on your new RSX-S. I guess your dealership did not yet have the 2005 model out in the showroom or available for test drive when you bought your 2004 RSX, right?

I agree on some of your points. (Disclosure: I haven't seen the 2005 RSX-S in person yet, but I've seen a ton of pictures and have read many discussions on other sites.) I don't like the new lights (head or tail). I don't mind the new bumpers or side skirts. But I don't like that spoiler lip thing; I much prefer the Type-R wing that I have. ;)

I like the incrased HP and higher red line. But it comes at a cost of increased weight and thus slightly lower gas mileage (24/31 vs. 23/31). I'm sure the seats and sound deadening material is better than before. I like the 17" wheels and better suspension and sway bar. I also like a couple of the new colors (such as magnesium metallic), even if it came at the cost of my DSM.

Anyway, for anyone debating 2004 vs. 2005 for the RSX-S, check out this article on AutoWeek:
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100821

For anyone considering a base model, I'd recommend going w/ the 2004 and save a bundle. But for the Type-S, I'd recommend the 2005 if it's not too much more expensive. (Realize that the 2004 will sell for near invoice and the 2005 will be closer to MSRP.)
    Now you got me drooling if the RSX ever produced 250 or 260 HP stock. :)

Slight correction: The Acura 3.2 TL Type-S never had a M/T option. It was always A/T (sport shift). It's only the new (2004) TL that introduced a manny tranny in that sedan.
    OK, wait, then it was the CL-S that had an available 6-speed manual right? I know one of those models with the old 3.2 had a manual - I am sure of it, because I saw several gathering dust at the local dealer. I just can't remember now if they were sedans or coupes....

Honda will surely do something to bring the integra more into the Acura fold for the '07 model update, unless it cancels it entirely (please, please Honda, don't do that!). 250 hp would be a great start on the way to doing just that.

• luca1luca1 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for all the great info. I just purchased a 2005 RSX Type S today. I will be picking it up on Monday. I got the Jade Green metallic, although it seems to have more of a greyish hue to it. As much as I hated to, I traded in my Jeep Liberty. I wish I could have kept the Jeep and get the RSX. Oh well, I can't wait to pick it up. I enjoyed the test drive and decided pretty much then and there to purchase. I went home to think about it and review other choices, but I decided this time around, I was going to have some fun. I will update after delivery and a little "joy riding".

Wendy
    You won't regret it! :-)

• zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    getting an RSX.I test drove a type S in July 2001 and my impressions of the car never left me,a real blast to drive! I will be test driving a base 5 speed soon and if it impresses me I will be getting a silver with leather base 5 speed.I'm giving myself two months-time enough to sell the Matrix and locate a car at the right price.I'm going to try carsdirect.com this time.Has anyone here ever used them or can a better deal be finagled on your own?They quoted me over the phone about $20,096 for a base 05 w/leather.
  • ekswaekswa Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

The Acura RSX is one of a couple of models I'm considering for purchase during the next month or so, but I've read in some reviews that the road noise in the RSX is very loud. Now Acura's website claims that they've added additional sound deadening material to the '05 models. A friend of mine has an '04 TSX and it's reasonably quiet cruising on worn freeway surfaces. I don't know how the RSX compares.

There's no substitute for a test drive, I know, but does anyone out there who has driven the '05 RSX have anything positive to say on the matter of interior noise levels?
    has a great deal of noise (all tire rumble) at highway speeds over all but glass road surfaces. There is very little other noise (wind, engine) though. I have driven the TSX on multiple occasions, and it is a lot quieter than my car. I have been mildly curious to see if the "extra sound insulation" on the '05 RSXs is merely PR-speak, or if it actually makes a difference in the real world.

zombo: how funny! That is the exact trade I made in February this year! (mine was an XR auto though). I found that depreciation had been particularly unkind to my Matrix, and had to put in a bunch of money to make the trade. Oh my restless eyes! I vowed to stick to the RSX for at least five years.

If you get an '05 base with leather for $20,096, that will be the exact equivalent (worse by a couple hundred $$ maybe) to the deal I got for mine, which was an '04 bought in February. BUT the '05 is just arriving, whereas I bought in February, a traditionally slow time for sales. AND the model has just been updated, whereas all they did for '04 was add heated mirrors.

I haven't had any rattling issues with my Matrix like you had,in fact the only problem I've had in 2 and a half years was the plastic tab on the day/night mirror breaking off in the bitter cold.I guess Im just tired of the upright mini-van driving position and the top heavy handling,a station waggon guy I'm not.Never realy cared for the buzzy exhaust note in the Trix either.

I basically got that car because the Celica lacked enough leg and head room,not so with the Acura.I was thinking about the Scion TC,but I think it's butt-fugly as well as too heavy,not a good replacement for the Celica IMHO.

I'll miss the RDS radio and in-dash 6 disc CD changer in the Matrix though.Too bad the Bose 6 disc unit isn't even offered in the base as an option,although I haven't ruled out the S or even a 2004 leftover if the price is right.Selling my car myself should net me at least 2-3 grand more than trading it in.The dealer offered me $1500 for my Paseo when I got the Matrix,I laughed in their faces and sold it on my own for 5K!
    they gave me $12,5 as a trade-in for my Trix, after I had tried for a couple of weeks to sell it myself, starting at $16K and ending up at $14,5 OBO as asking price. But that was the dead of winter, and I only tried for a couple of weeks.

I haven't had firsthand experience of the 6-disc stereo in the RSX, but it might be worth it going with an 'S' just for that - the base model really sucks. Of course, if you don't mind changing the look of the dash, an aftermarket stereo would be a much cheaper option! If you can get a leftover '04 type-S, that would be the way to go in that case. Since my car has to do double duty as a commuter, I wanted the better mileage and the regular gas of the base model.

One of the things I have NOT missed at all about the Trix was the upright seating position. The RSX really envelops you - you feel like you are sitting in it, not on it. And at high speed (above 75 mph) the RSX has WAY better body control than the Matrix did - better suspension and a lower center of gravity.

• joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    I have an 03 RSX-S and the 6-disc stereo is fine. A lot of people in these boards complain about the radio (specifically the bass), but this problem (in my experience) is limited to the radio and not the CD player function when it shows up at all. I wonder if its just that I don't want my teeth to rattle.

I agree with Nippononly that the seating is great, once you find the right position. It took me a couple of weeks to get it just right, so a test drive might not give you a good sense of how comfortable the seats really are.
    indeed one of the main things I don't like about the Matrix.Even with the knob turned all the way back it has never been all that comfortable,because when I try to compensate by reclining it back then I'm leaning back too far!Sliding into those smooth leather(which is why I want leather int.) body hugging RSX seats feels many-many times better.

What is great about the stereo though is the ease of having all 6 discs right there instead of in the trunk in a magazine.I really haven't seen many aftermarket units-6 disc in dash,but then I really haven't looked yet.

I like the fuel economy and regular fuel requirments of the base also and am planning to test drive one within the next two weeks.
    when compared to the Matrix (and most other cars in this class) is the adjustable lumbar in the RSX - it makes a world of difference on long trips.

Yes, it was the 3.2 CL-S that had a M/T option, but I think only the later years had that option, not all CL-S model years. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Yeah, I hope the RSX will continue to live on even after the 2006 or 2007 models. We'll see. : \
    Wendy, congrats on your 2005 RSX-S. Keep us updated on how it's treating you (and vice versa, LOL).

Nippon, I also agree w/ you that the RSX seats are very comfortable and keep you in place nicely. Also, the crappy Michelin tires are pretty loud on imperfect roads. The engine can get loud when you hit 75-80 MPH.

I just test drove the Matrix yesterday (Sat.). I have absolutely no interest in it, but I drove it b/c I attended Toyota's "Put It In Play" test drive event in Philly. They had the XR (the middle model), not the XRS. It was hugely underpowered and had crappy tires and suspension. In other words, the Matrix didn't give me a postive impression of it.

zombo, good luck selling your car. I don't think you'll regret trading in your Toyota for the Acura. If your finances allow you to, get the Type-S. If you decide to stay w/ the base, I'd recommend a 2004 over 2005 since the former will be faster and cheaper (and IMO, have better looking headlights and taillights). If you get the Type-S, then the 2005 might be worth it over the 2004 for the better sound insulation, 17" tires/wheels, 10 more HP, etc.

My 2002 RSX-S has about 24 kmi. on it and is still a blast to drive. That's it for now.
    Isn't the 2005 base getting the additional sound insulation also(not that big a deal to me, a sporty car should sound the part IMHO)? The numbers on the 05 RSX Type S aren't out yet,but I doubt they're much faster with the additional 85 pounds,even with the extra 10 horsepower. I do like the revised headlights on the 05s though,more projector beam sport-like,if you know what I mean.

Since I only put 24K on my Matrix in 29 months,I might lease for 3 years and upgrade to the Type S,leaving my options open for the next upgrade or something else entirely.
    I just finished reading a review of the TSX where they described the Michelin tires as having been chosen for their quiet smooth ride, and therefore also providing less traction (because of not being a summer tire). These are of course the identical tires to the ones that RSXs wear, which had me thinking to myself, "quiet??!!".

• youngperson619youngperson619 Member Posts: 1
    I know that the new 2005 Type-S has 5-blade 17" wheels. This may sound like a stupid question but I want to know. On the pictures of the base 2005 RSX im seeing it with 6 spoke wheels. But on the Acura sight, they say it has 5 spoke wheels and in the build and price thing, it shows 5 spokes. I don't know if this info has been released, but does anyone know where the base RSX has 5 spokes or 6 spokes? I know it's 16", but I'm curious.
    So, I've had my RSX Type S for a week and all I can say is YEE HAW. I love driving this vehicle. I've been trying to stay within the guidelines (and speed limit) of the break-in period, but...... I've been ill for a few days so I've not been able to go out as much as I'd like, but here are just a few of my initial thoughts. The seats are very comfortable and I agree with nippononly that the lumbar support is a great feature. I find the car's handling outstanding. On my initial test drive, I was able to drive on a winding road at a fair clip and felt comfortable and safe. I'm really impressed with the cabin room. The back seats are pretty small, but it's just me so that's not a problem. the cargo area is roomy and with the ability to lower the back seats it is even better. My downsides are not many. It would have been nice to have an auto moonroof, but no biggie. I had the radio and cd controls on the steering wheel on the Jeep, but the controls are very easy to get to on the RSX. As for the noise issue, I find it much quieter than the Jeep. As soon as I'm feeling a bit better, I will be taking a small road trip up to the central coast of CA. (I live in south Orange county) For any of you looking at the "05's, check out the Jade Green Metallic color. The color chart on Acura.com doesn't give it justice.
    As a side note, I had to take the car in this morning to have my fog lights, interior trim and lojak installed. My loaner is a TSX. This is a really nice vehicle too. Had I the need for a sedan, this would have been a good alternative.

More to come....

Wendy
    if your Jeep was a Wrangler, then I should really hope the RSX is quieter on the road!! :-P

As to steering wheel radio controls, you have to balance the cost and weight of stuff like that against its actual usefulness. In the RSX, I feel the balance is OK as is because the close cockpit style of the interior makes the radio really close to the steering wheel, so it would add cost kinda needlessly (IMHO only!) to put in steering wheel controls.

As for two things that would really improve the "RSX experience" for me at very little cost (if any) to Acura, they would be an auto open/close moonroof and retained power for the windows and moonroof after the key is off. OK, and it would be nice to have auto-up on the passenger-side window in addition to the driver's window.

• li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Well, I don't disagree with nippononly often, but this is an exception :-)

I really miss the audio controls on the wheel (my previous ride had them, and also auto up/down passenger, not to mention heated mirrors and seats). All of that standard on TSX, I might add.

I agree that the audio controls are well placed, but to me, controls on the wheel are terrific, requiring instant accessibility with almost no distraction factor.

I would gladly have paid $1k or $1.5k for the bundle of those additions. Of course Acura wanted to differentiate the TSX, so that wasn't going to happen. Grrrrrrr.....

Nonetheless, lest anyone think otherwise, I love this car...it's like a part of me...

Shucks, there I go all sappy again... ;-)
    zombo, yes, I do believ that the 2005 RSX base trim will benefit from the better sound deadening material and better leather seats for those who get that option. These will add weight on a car that did not receive a power boost (still 160 HP).

nippon, I didn't know the TSX's Michelin tires were identical to our RSXs'. They are definitely not that quiet, I agree w/ that. And performance isn't one of their strong points either. :(

BTW, I literally *just* broke 24 kmi. My odometer now reads 24001. : \ Hopefully many more tens of thousands of miles will greet my odometer in the next several years. :)
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I'm sure you will be doing "yee haw's" for many miles to come!
    :-)

I'm at 53,000 miles (car is 3 years old now) and still love driving mine every day.

BTW, I got back from a 5 day vacation last week and I told my wife on the plane ride home that I missed my car. :-)

How's THAT for sappy li_sailor?
    :-D
    "These will add weight on a car that did not receive a power boost (still 160 HP)."

22 pounds, to be exact. New base curb weight for '05 = 2734. If I keep going on my present course, my own weight will probably fluctuate that much over the course of owning this car! :-P

yup, the TSX uses Michelin V-rated HX MXM4s, just like the RSX. "Chosen for fuel economy and quietness" is what I read in that article. They have a high treadwear rating, which I believe is the REAL reason they were chosen for this car.

I am with li sailor in one sense, and that is wishing Acura had not made such arbitrary distinctions between its models. For instance, I believe auto-up windows all-around are standard on every model except the RSX, which only has half as many windows anyway! Why omit the passenger in this one model only? Why, to differentiate the TSX of course. I would say the TSX is actually more of a bargain at its price (considering performance, utility, and feature content) than the RSX is at its own price point, but I had no need for a four-door and like small cars, so there you go. And the RSX is a blast!

• techfuntechfun Member Posts: 11
    Just picked up my '05 Type S this week. Selected black with black leather. This car is amazing. I just can't believe how much car you get for $24k. I previously owned a 2000 Civic SI (until it got ripped off) with the similar VTEC engine, but now fully realize the RSX is "BIG BROTHER" to the 1.6 engine in many ways. Fit and finish is outstanding, and I love each of the changes implemented for the '05 model year. The lowered body was definitely needed, along with larger wheels and tires. The larger exhuast tip makes this car sound like a little F1 car. I highly recommend the type S for anyone who considers themselves a driving enthusiast.
    Congrats on the new S. I'm loving mine having picked it a week ago. I too was amazed at the price. I'm still getting used to the "lowness" of the car since I previously owned a Jeep Liberty. Please stay in touch and let us know how much fun you are having.

wendy
    nippon, thanks for the explanation on the Michelin tires. When I get new tires for my car (probably at 30 kmi.), I might give Continental tires a serious look. They seem to have the best of all qualities (high performance, good tread wear, decent snow/ice/rain handling, relatively quiet, etc.) not to mention they cost about the same as our stock rubber.

techfun, congrats on your new RSX-S. I agree w/ you that driving enthusiasts should definitely opt for the Type-S (as long as they can afford it and the more expensive insurance and gas it requires). :)
    Okay, I know that the RSX Type-S uses premium gas, but the manual says to use premium with detergents. Do all premium brands have it or must you use a specific brand?

wendy
    in California they all have detergents, don't know about other states.

eowulf - the guy on tire rack recommended the Continental ContiExtremeContacts for this car, but I don't know if those are summer or all-season tires.

• michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    Speaking of tires, I'm at 20K miles and am getting rid of the Michelin MXM4s this weekend, yeehaa! Happy birthday to me!!
  • techfuntechfun Member Posts: 11
    I would recommend checking out Kumho Escta 712's. I have these on my Protege 5 and had them on a Civic SI and they are great (as long as you don't have to do any snow driving). Performance and handling are incredible, and the center rain channel is great for driving in wet conditions. IMHO they are the best bang for the buck out there.
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    Thanks for the advice techfun. I live in Chicago though, so I do need all-season tires. I've pretty much decided on Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs, based on very positive reviews and ratings on tirerack.
    Yes, the Continental ContiExtremeContact tires I'm interested in. A while ago, I went through Tire Rack to pick out ultra high performance all-season tires. I just did that again right now and they recommended 7 tires. I also requested 17" tires (since I want to rims and the lower profile look vs. the stock 16".) Here are Tire Rack's recommendations (all are 224/45/17 w/ WR speed rating), in alphabetical order:

1.) Continental ContiExtremeContact
    2.) Kumho ECSTA ASX
    3.) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
    4.) Michelin Pilot XGT Z4
    5.) Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
    6.) Sumitomo HTR+
    7.) Yokohama AVS dB S2

Prices range from $85 to $175 per tire. If anyone has experience or knows about these tires, please do post your opinion. Thanks.
    this month has a short article on the Kumho Ecstas - quite enthusiastic. You may want to read it.

I have had good experience in general with Continental, Sumitomo, Yokohama, and Michelin tires. Not with any of these models specifically though. I was going to check out the Continentals when tire replacement time came due, and compare with the Michelin Pilots, and pick the better of the two just to keep the decision simple.

• acuraman15acuraman15 Member Posts: 39
    Hi Friends,
        I have a 00' Integra GS-R and I would like to purchase an 05' RSX type S. I understand if I want the Peal white, I have to wait until mid to end of Nov. I like the improvements they made to the 05' model, so I am not really considering the 04'.I love my Integra, but with 79xxx miles, maybe it is time to sell and step up to the RSX. Any advice?
    your GS-R gives you that VTEC rush as you spin the engine up to speed. You don't get that same rush from the RSX-S. Power delivery increases in a much more linear fashion as the engine revs. OTOH, the ride and handling of the RSX are major steps ahead of the old Integra (in stock form).

At 79K, you probably have many reliable years still ahead in the Integra. I would keep it if you have owned it from new and it is in good shape. The new one is not enough better that I would give up a recent Integra that is paid for.

• joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    For what it's worth, I have an '03 RSX-S (without the new improvements), and I would largely agree with Nippononly. The RSX-S is a great car, and the new changes will only improve it. Still, the car you have is great, and it will certainly last another year and/or 20K miles.

I'd say keep the Integra for another year, listen in on the boards over what people say about the '05, and then pick one up when the '05s are being cleared out for the '06s if you want one. You'll get a better deal, and the Integra you have right now is plenty nice.

My only quibble with Nippononly is that there's still a noticeable punch when the revs get high, but even here I have to agree with him that it's probably smoother than an Integra's (I haven't driven both back to back).
    Hi Nippononly,
         Thank you for the great information. The more I look at my 00' GS-R, the body style is much sharper looking than the new RSX models. I have the underbody spoiler kit and I almost want to say that Acura ruined the "looks" of the car with the RSX, but improved the interior cockpit.
    Hi Techfun,
        Thank you for the great information and advice also. I guess with the mileage that I have now, I thought I can still get a pretty good price for the car to put towards a new one.
This discussion has been closed.