Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    yeah, the outside of the Integra looks better than the RSX.

The cockpit of the RSX is its saving grace - worlds apart from the Integra in improvement. So you trade outside looks for inside looks/ergonomics. The RSX is an improvement in several ways over the Integra, but not enough to dump a perfectly good 'teg that isn't that old. And if it is resale you are worried about, it won't depreciate much in the next year. Heck, you will probably save as much on the new one waiting until model year end next October as your own car will depreciate in that same amount of time, and in the meantime you will have the use of your own car that you already paid for.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• acuraman15acuraman15 Member Posts: 39
    Yes, those are some great points. Actually a dealer quoted me a price on a 2004 and 2005 and their was very little difference. $23,200 on the 05 and 22,800 on the 04. I realize those are only starting prices, before all the games start, but thanks for the thoughts.
  • techfuntechfun Member Posts: 11
    I've had my '05 for 2 weeks. They have only been out for a very short time at this point, and I got my type s for 22,900 plus tax etc. which I felt a pretty fair deal considering the short amount of time the car has been on the market, not to mention the fact that there was no haggling etc. I told them this is what I'd pay, take it or leave it...otherwise, I'll call every dealer within 2 hours and find one that will take it.

The 04's are being offered in our market for basically invoice pricing. However, I feel the improvements made in the 05 are substantial both cosmetically and performance side. I didn't even consider buying an '04 when it would only save me 800 or 900 bucks. Anyways, good luck with your purchase.
    with techfun, my local dealer has red-tagged all the '04s on his lot, which are going for $21,988. And since that is the marked price, I am sure you could get it for even less if you really pushed. All the vehicles at this particular dealership have a $500 "Acura protection package" mark-up on them, so that is another $500 I would expect to get back from any negotiation if I were buying one. Honda always has behind-the-scenes cashback to dealers to help them get rid of their leftovers, and given that the '05 is visibly different from the '04, I am sure their desire to get rid of their '04s will be that much more urgent.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

It sounds like you got a great deal. What color did you get? My 00' GS-R has black leather interior, and on my new car I think I would like the titanium color interior. I like the pearl white color car, but they told me the white will not be manufactured until mid-Nov. I appreciate everyone's advice on this forum, it sounds like my best bet might be to wait until next year to get an 05' but patience is not my virtue....
    I got black with black leather. I always think black paint is the best color (when it's clean, of course ;) ) The pearl white should be out, I believe I heard a dealer in Georgia had one, and that color does look good from the pix I have seen. Is your Integra a Type R or just the GS-R? If you could get the car for the same price I paid, it would probably only save you less than 1k to wait another year to get a leftover '05, so that is up to you. The only reason I ended up getting the car now, was I just had a '00 civic si stolen and stripped, so needed a replacement ASAP.
    My Integra is a GS-R. Your car w/ black on black sounds really sharp. I haven't seen the pearl white in a 05' model yet. Does the dealer in Georgia have a picture on their website?
  • pg973pg973 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2005 RSX-S and I love it. Much better than the Scion TC (which I almost bought) I bought the car on the next to last day of September and got a good deal ($22,600). I called 5-6 dealers in the area and it really helped. Good luck and get the 05!
    Acuraman- What color are you interested in getting? The dealer in GA I was speaking of, was one I was put in contact with through AAA. AAA has some service now you can just contact them and they will search local dealers looking for the best deal for you. If I recall correctly the one in GA offered me 23,500 for the white type s. I ended up with the black/black '05 and paid $22,900. You can go to www.acura.com and build a car and put the pearl white color on to see what it looks like. I thought it looked pretty sweet.

PG973-That is funny you mention the scion tc, that is the other car on my radar while I was in the purchasing process. Good job, you got the car for $300 less than me, darnit!! That must save you $5 or $6 a month on your car payment over mine ;)
    Sounds like you got a great deal. I am going to put my car on the market, if I get my price, I will sell, if not, I will be happy to keep it and try again next year.
    I am interested in the pearl white. When I go on Acura's website, they show a bright white color and I know the pearl white is more of a off white or cream color. I have a question for all of you brand new RSX owners. I love the smell of a new car, and is it my imagination, or on every new RSX I have test driven, the new car smell is overpowering, more so than I have noticed before. Also wanted to mention that there are only 2 Acura dealers anywhere in this state or surounding states. I am sure that will limit me as far as choices are concerned.
    You can do a "build and price a car" type thing on acura's site. If you put in for a type s, you can select the pearl white color for sure, and it does look good. You should have full choice in a matter of a few weeks on the '05 type s regardless of the number of dealers. Hopefully you do ok on attempting to sell yours, otherwise maybe next year.
    Thanks for the information. It's funny, I love my car and I think it is really sharp, and all day long I am going back and forth whether to sell or not. Yes, I would love to have a new RSX type S, but I hate to have a car payment and an increase in my insurance. I guess if I am undecided, I night not be ready to sell yet. I will keep you posted.
  • luca1luca1 Member Posts: 29
    the "smell" was awful in mine. A friend of mine says it's because of the way it's covered while shipping. Don't know if this true or not, but it made me nauseous for a while. I found opening the windows and sunroof and going really fast helps. (jk about the really fast part ;))

wendy
    Reading all of the reviews about the RSX Type S, it sounds like the very few complaints are all the same. Poor Michelin stock tires, poor stereo for a Bose, bad blinds spots, no arm rest,and expensive to insure. I would love to hear everyone's comments on that. Thanks.
    Personally, I wouldn't say the stereo is that bad for a stock stereo. I would say the sub in the trunk doesn't really serve the true purpose of a sub, but it does add some bass depth to the overall sound. No arm rest is what it is. I really don't mind that myself, but I could see where others would be annoyed. I'm usually busy hammering the shifter through the curves to have to worry about no arm rest anyways. Those Michelin's do suck, but I'll be keeping them on until they're done rather than dropping 5 or 600$ off the bat to replace them. I'll probably get Kumho Escta 712's once they need replacing though. The blind spots are tough for backing up etc. I don't have much of an issue as far as driving with the blind spots, the mirros work fine, but backing up is a pain in the butt. The insurance is pretty crazy on the car. My friend insured his 350z cheaper than his previous rsx type s.
    I will echo that. Don't really care about the arm rest thing, and the stereo is OK for a stock stereo, although not great by any means. I have pretty much made my peace with it. I took a long drive in a friend's type-S the other day, and the "better" stereo in the S isn't all that much better once you get up to speed and that road noise starts to intrude. But at least it is a 6-disc as compared with the single in the base model.

No, the biggest single problem in this car is the stock tires. They don't provide very good handling (the car is capable of way more) and they make a TON of noise. Blind spots are typical for a sport coupe of this type (skip the spoiler though if that is a concern for you), and the insurance was only a couple hundred more per year for me than my previous Matrix (BUT I have the base model - the type-S probably costs more).

Apart from those "issues", the car is perfect for my needs. I highly recommend it.

Thanks. All that information is very helpful. The arm rest and the stereo are very minor, and the blind spots don't seem to be any worse than the GS-R, so for me the sky-high insurance costs is the only real concern for me. The Michelin tires that came on my GS-R were aweful, and I did a lot of research and replaced them with BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. These are a thousand times better.
    we just got our first rain here today after two or three months of dry spell, which reminded me of another way the stock tires suck - REALLY BAD traction in the wet - it was like driving on an oil slick. Even in the dry they are way too easy to break free from a dead stop - traction just is not their strong suit. Treadwear is, but then who cares if the tire lasts forever if it is no good performance-wise? I wish I could wear them out sooner to give myself an excuse to replace them (innate frugality showing through, I guess?), but at 11K they still look literally brand new. :-(

thanks for the tire info. I was a bit concerned with the rain we are getting now. i haven't been out in this weather yet. What tires are best for overall driving?

Wendy
    well, no one tire is best at everything - otherwise all the other tires could just go home! :-P

Seriously though, several tires have been touted here as being much better than the stock Michelins, among them the Kumho Ecstas and the Continental ContiExtremeContacts.

If you go to tirerack.com, it will give you recommendations for tires for your specific vehicle - you just plug it in. The tires are rated for length of tread life, traction in the dry and the wet, and the snow too I believe. Also various other aspects of handling (I am going by memory here). Check 'em out. Last I checked, there was also a representative from Tire Rack that posted here at Edmunds and answered peoples' questions over in the "tires, tires, tires" thread in Maintenance & Repair.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have a feeling we are in for a wet time this winter and I don't want to take any chances.

wendy
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Hey Wendy, check out my post #2256:
    beowulf7 Oct 9, 2004 12:19pm
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    Wendy, keep in mind that there are different classes of tires. The tires are in beowulf's post are Ultra High Performance All-Season tires, but that is by no means the only class of tire. Tirerack.com is an excellent place to start doing research, and as nippononly says, no one tire is best at everything! Good luck!
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    hehe, the complaints are identical to those of all the Integra owners a few years ago. Mediocre stereo, tires and visibility. Typical Honda/Acura shortcomings.. My GSR does have an armrest though which is the storage compartment in between the 2 front seats. It comes in handy on long trips. Just bought my wife a CRV and it has a huge gap between the driver & passenger seat. Just a big nothing. Don't know why. There seems to be room for storage or an armrest. Even my '01 Civic EX has an armrest!
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    C'mon, mm - Ultra High Performance All-Season tires are the only way to go. They solve all tire problems at once, LOL. :-P

j/k but honestly, I think these tires should solve most people's needs and desires for a tire. I can't wait until I trash my stock Michelins and grab a set of Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. :)
    I am assuming that most people, in talking about replacing the stock tires with better ones (the ultra-high performance all-seasons mentioned above, for instance) are moving up a speed rating or two in doing so?

It seems like a lot of the good tires that people have recommended as replacements are W-rated rather than the V-rated stock tires.

• michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    Beowulf, there are always tradeoffs.

Ultra High Performance = better handling = feel the road better = feel all the bumps more. Personally speaking, the suspension is stiff enough for me already (one reason I got the base instead of the Type-S), and the last thing I want is tires that make my car bumpier than it already is.

Also, better performance usually means decreased treadwear. The ContiExtremeContacts mentioned above do not even have a treadwear warranty (!), while the Kumhos are only warrantied to 30K.

Due in no small part to comfort and treadwear, I replaced the stock Michelin MXM4s with Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs. Extremely happy with this Grand Touring All Season tire - awesome reviews on tirerack, grippy, good but not great handling, awesome in the wet (and supposedly great in the snow too, although I haven't had a chance to see), warrantied to 50K, comfortable ride.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the "grey area" between the different tire classes is huge (according to Ask Connor at Tirerack).

To each his own. *shrug*
    stock Michelins even warrantied for treadwear? And aren't tire treadwear warranties kind of bunk anyway? I mean, after the first few thousand miles, you get pennies on the dollar if they wear out early anyway, and there can't be ANYTHING in the way of irregular wear. If there is, they just blame poor alignment and you get zilch.

The thing with having a fun sporty car is not to maximize the treadwear - any tire that would do that wouldn't provide the best handling or dry traction.

Does anyone have the titanium color interior? How is it holding up? Does it get dirty easily? If my car sells this week, I will be purchasing a 2005 RSX Type S. I prefer to get away from the black interior, but I would like to hear about the lighter color, if anyone has any opinions on that. Thank you.
    I have the Titanium interior. It's a bit lighter than I thought it would be, but I like it. I've only had the car for about 6 weeks so I really can't address the "dirt" issue as of yet. My Jeep Liberty had ivory leather seats and I had no problem keeping the seats clean. I'm the only driver and very rarely have passengers. What exterior color are you looking at?

wendy
    I would like the Pearl White. Right now, they are not readily available. There is only one out there on a dealers lot. My dealer here said they did a dealer trade and they will have it in a couple of days if I want it. What is your exterior color?
    I have the jade green metallic. It's a bit deceiving because it looks more grey. The paint chips on the Acura and edmund's sites don't really do the color justice. It's a lot better looking in person. I've not seen the Pearl White. My dealership didn't have one on the lot when I got mine.

wendy
    I have the titanium interior - does not pick up dirt easily. Admittedly the car is only 9 months old, but already has 12K miles and is used extensively to carry around my niece and nephew, who are good at making a mess normally! The interior still looks like new despite spills and scuffs.

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Does anyone have the titanium color interior? How is it holding up? Does it get dirty easily?

I have the titanium cloth in my 2002 model (purchased in September 2001)
    and I have over 52,000 miles. I have not seen any wear or any dirt spots.

I do have a worn spot on the drivers side rug where my right heel rests though. Oh, the horrors! :-)
    in my (stick shift) 4Runner, and they were worn through to the last threads in three months. For a $60 set of mats (I liked the embroidered '4Runner' logo so I bought them at the dealer).

Point is, I have been quite impressed with how well the RSX mats have held up compared to some of the other cheap crap I have experienced in recent times.

That is true that there are tradeoffs. But just judging by the ratings and reviews, it seems like the Ultra High Performance All-Season tires I mentioned have a *lot* more "pros" than "cons".

The treadwear is rated very highly. Granted, they don't have mileage warranties, but as nippon said, the tire treadwear warranties don't usually mean much. Heck, I can take the highest rated mileage tire (say 60 kmi.) and make them bald in one day. ;)
    My car is about 2.5 years old and 25+ kmi. I have DSM, which means I have the titanium color interior. It's holding up well and I do like it. Many think that black (ebony) is sexy, but IMO, titanium (tan/gray) is classy and clean. :)

So how did you do in trying to sell your car?

BTW, Edmunds recently did a follow-up review on the 2005 Acura RSX Type-S. It did pretty well.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/acura/rsx/100449649/roadtestartic- le.html?articleId=103504&tid=edmunds.h..wkedmunds.roadtests.1- .*
    Thank you for the great follow-up article on the '05 RSX-S. I placed an ad in our local paper and I didn't get one single phone call. I would imagine maybe because of the time of year? I might try another paper this week. Any suggestions? To be honest, I haven't been trying really hard yet, I haven't even put signs on the car. Once again, the pearl white color RSX-S that I want isn't really available yet, so it's hard to plan.
  • amandagsramandagsr Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2005 RSX Type-S on Friday and I absolutely LOVE it... just can't wait til the break in period is over! I have the pearl blue exterior with black interior and it looks really nice. There was a pearl white colored one at the dealership that I bought this from but I really wasn't too impressed with it.. have you seen it in person yet?

Amanda
    HI Amanda,
         Congratulations on your exciting purchase.
    No, I have not seen the pearl white in person. Maybe I should wait until I see it in person, maybe I might not like it either. The pearl blue is very cool looking. That is my second choice. I personally would like to get away from the black leather interior. What other colors did you see in person? What looked good? Thanks.
    I love the black leather interior! That might be because my GS-R had the tan leather and I just got sick of it. Anyway, I saw a red one in the show room which was gorgeous and one of the darker silver ones which was okay (almost every RSX I see is in silver or gray). I forgot to add a PS on my last message that my father and brother liked the white so that might be a man thing :). I just think the white with titanium is very bland. But the new red this year looks really nice!
    That is really interesting. I was wondering about the red. I have seen the '04 model in red and to me it reminds me too much of the Oldmobile Alero. We only have 2 Acura dealers here, and the colors so far are very limited: blue, silver black and the new rust or orange color. It is difficult to tell from pictures. Is this a good time of the year to buy an '05? Do you feel like you got a good deal on your car?
    has been a fairly slow seller this year. I would think if you are looking for a real bargain, it would be best to wait until year's end. Not only is that traditionally a slow time of year for dealers, they generally get extra incentives for selling more in the old calendar year. Right now, they are still riding the (small) wave that has come from the '05 model update.

I wouldn't worry too much about the break in period. The dealer even suggested driving the car fairly hard in that first 600 mile break in period to get the VTEC "tuned" properly. I only have 1700 miles on my '05 and have loved every mile of the driving. These engines are indestructible as far as I can tell, and I've owned previous VTEC's. These are racing type engines that demand to be driven in that fashion.

Have fun,
    Congrats Amanda! I've had my Type-S for 2 months and it's such a blast. I have about 1200 miles on mine, but I didn't really wait for the "break in" to test it out. '=) I love the way it handles on curving roads. I've not seen the blue or white in person yet. Have fun!

Wendy
    Thanks for the good wishes! I took the advise from you and "techfun" and had a lot of fun on the drive to school and back this morning. Now, I'm excited for the drive to work! This is my first new car and I'm having a great time with it...I think I made a good decision :). I just don't want to new car smell to go away! I don't know if I got the best price but I payed about 1,500 under the sticker price, which is better than a lot of people I know with the same car living in the Phila area!
    Amanda, Sounds like you paid about $22,600 which is a good price. I paid 22,900 but this was 7 weeks ago when the car was just coming out so I was happy with that price all things considered. I am still having more fun with each passing day driving the type s. It is just so fun to take it up above 8k. I haven't hit the rev limiter yet, and I've had it up to 8500 rpm's many times. I'm wondering where the limiter is. Has anyone else hit the limiter yet? Where do they have it set at?
    Sorry for the late response. You're welcome for the link. I'm sorry to hear no one was interested in your car for sale. It is not easy at all. That's why a lot of people bite the bullet and just trade it in. Did you try Auto Trader and EBay? I think Auto Trader (www.autotrader.com) lets you list the car on their site forever until the car is sold for a fixed price. But one of my friends tried that and it took him a *very* long time to sell his cars. (Yes, he had multiple cars he was trying to get rid of.)
    Congrats on your 2005 RSX Type-S, Amanda.

Have fun breaking it in. You mentioned you're in the Philly area. As FYI, there are some of us in that region (esp. South Jersey) who have a meet every once in a while to check out each others RSXs and help each other out in modding. Would you be interested in that? We'll probably start doing more of that once the weather warms up, say next April.
This discussion has been closed.