Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    My thinking is the same. I don't want to swap tires and store 4 tires/wheels all year long. While pure performance and pure snow driving tires are mutually exclusive, from the reviews I've read, I think one can find tires that have very good performance in wet/dry weather and "good enough" performance (at least better than stock) in snow/ice weather.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    I'm thinking about picking up a 2005 RSX and was suprised to see that the JD Power Mechanical evaluation of the RSX was just average...putting it on par with the Mazda3 and other what I at least consider cars of lesser quality.

Does this go along with everyones experience? I think of Acura's as reliabel, problem free vehicles
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    has been reliable and problem free. The Power survey probably reflects a significant number of minor problems people had with grinding gears on the six-speed.

I am at 19K, and nary a whisper of a problem. I expect at least another 80K just like that.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I'm considering buying an '02 RSX-S, most likely one with higher mileage (60k+). Are there any known issues with these cars? Anything particular I should look out for in my search?
  • joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    I have an '03 RSX-S at 28K miles, and it's been problem free (save for somebody who rear-ended me, but that's hardly the car's fault). Some people have mentioned a "gear-crunch" when shifting, but I don't know if it's common enough to constitute a pattern (and a quick spin in the car should reveal this anyway).
  • zak_autozak_auto Member Posts: 19
    I currently own an '03 RSX Type-S with 50K miles. I've had no problems with the car so far. I've followed the maintenance schedule which so far is just oil, filters, tire rotation, and inspections. The stock tires aren't that great and I'm changing those soon. I previously had a '00 Integra GSR and a '90 CRX SI. I've never had any problems with Honda/Acura cars other than routine maintenance.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I'm considering a type-S now that I found out that a Civic Si would cost me a lot more to insure than an RSX-S (surprisingly, imo). The problem is that I wanted the Si's good rear seat room.

I realize there isn't much space in the back of the RSX, but just how bad is it? I don't have many tall friends... so I guess if anyone could tell me how tall they are and how well they fit in the backseat, I'd appreciate it.

I'm also worried about the tight gearshift spacing. I've only had 4-speed manuals so 6 would be a big step up. How often do people miss a gear and destroy the engine?
    powershifting to miss a gear and kill the engine. Otherwise, you will notice as the engine begins to seriously buck, and stop engaging the gear before any damage results. And after driving it for a bit you won't miss shifts anyway - it is pretty easy IMHO.

The back seat is decent for space in all directions except up, where the roof totally encroaches and makes you duck or slouch if you are an adult. Kids only for long drives back there.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I'm 5'10'' and I have sat in the back without hitting my head or anything. I wouldn't want to be there for a 3 hour trip, but it's possible. I don't think the room is any worse than a two door civic. I test drove a Scion TC, and THAT vehicle has the worse back seat out there. You have to have it fully reclined to not hit your head.
    Personally I don't have many, if any, complaints about my RSX Type-S. The shifter is definitely something I would never complain about. The throws are short but there's no fuzziness or unclarity about which gear you're shifting to. I'm an aggressive driver and I've never missed a gear and grinded them. I frequently will be cruising the highway and I need to pass or change lanes and I drop from 6th to 4th for the little extra pop and I don't miss the gear. The high redline is so sweet. When I let my brother try the car after I bought it, he loved the shifter & the short throw.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    Gear grind and interior rattles. That is what I have heard about the most on other RSX DGs.

There are also quite a few stories of people blowing up their engines, usually by doing a 3-2 shift instead of a 3-4 shift, or doing a 5-2 instead of a 5-4 downshift.

We love ours. I have never asked a human to sit in the back. When I fold the rear seats down, there is a lot of room to put stuff in the car.
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    I need help deciding on which car to get.. I searched, all the posts seem to be comparing them to other cars or the Civic SI. If I get a Civic, it's most likely going to be a coupe, possibly a sedan. I like them both.

I originally wanted the Civic because they're popular, they get a lot of good consumer reviews and all that, reliable, cheap, good on gas.. etc. But lately I've been looking into the RSX's only because I like the style a lot better. The style is what got my attention in the first place and because Acura is also a part of Honda. The price on the RSX's are higher than I wanted, but not much difference. I planned on getting a Civic for about $14,000. I had a place to get one from and that's their average pricing on used ones with the features I want. I looked at comparison charts for the RSX and the Civics and I don't see much difference. There must be something I'm missing between the 2 if the Civic is more popular.. Are the Civics more reliable in general?

One problem I have with getting an RSX's is they don't seem popular at all. I'm from Rhode Island. There are like 10 Honda dealerships within 20 minutes of eachother and only 1 Acura place in the entire state, so of course their prices are on the high end. They're selling the used ones for like $20,000. Even comparing the boards on here, the Honda's seem to have more replies and posts. I found an Acura place in Seekonk online and their prices seem to be better, I want to be sure I'm really going to get it though before going all the way up there. I haven't even test drived one yet. I'd also need an automatic.
    I checked out insurance quotes and there wasn't much of a difference between the Civic and the RSX.

Would an RSX be a good first/second car for someone? I'm 23 and haven't driven since I was like 18. I only need a car for basic things, back and forth to work, gym, errands..
    Does anyone know the difference between the gas milleage? Is it THAT much difference to really matter anyway? I saw it mentioned on one comparison chart but it was for the newer ones and the Civic actually had more.. :confuse:

Anything else I should consider? :confuse:
    OK, I admit it, you have thoroughly confused me! I do not understand what your criteria are for choosing a car, or which you might prefer. Let me just say a few things:

(1) the RSX is an Acura. Acuras, as you have noticed, are rarer than Hondas, especially really common Hondas like the Civic. The RSX in particular sells at a rate of about 20,000 per year. By contrast, all the Civics combined sell at about 300,000 per year or more.

(2) the base RSX has a much faster powertrain than all Civics but the SI, which has the same engine as the RSX but different gearing (and only comes in manual shift, so if you have to have an automatic, the SI is out of the running).

(3) the RSX type-S is faster than ALL the Civics, SI included, but also comes in manual shift only.

(4) as such (as is the general rule for these things), the slower Civic gets significantly better gas mileage. You WILL notice the difference if fuel economy is important to you.

(5) Hondas and Acuras in general, and the RSX in particular, retain their value really well and depreciate very slowly. If you are looking at $14K as a target price, the RSX you get will be at least three years old, most likely, if not more. OTOH, you can get a Civic DX or VP for $14K brand new. If you want a sedan, well there isn't an RSX sedan, so that is that, you are in Civic territory.

Is the RSX a good first car? I dunno. Being a sport coupe, visibility is much more limited than many other body styles of cars, so that is a point against it. Insurance is high, but as you say you have done the research there, I will leave it at that. Civics and the RSX are both equally very reliable, generally speaking.

Does that help at all?

• likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for clearing some of that up. :) Sorry for the confusion. You pretty much covered everything though. lol.

So I guess there's no real reason why Civics are more popular except for the better gas mileage and price.. Is either one more expensive for general maintenance and repairs?

I still haven't decided whether to go with the Honda Civic or the Acura RSX. I'm leaning more towards the Civic because of the better gas mileage, but I like the RSX style better. I searched some threads and the RSX seems to average about 29mpg. That doesn't sound too bad to me. I guess I'm just going ot test drive it and then make my decision based on that.
    is also more of a niche car - it is small inside, and is designed to be a driver's car. Most of the Civics are a bit more practical if you generally need to carry people or lots of stuff. So that and the much lower price makes the Civics more popular, yes. The majority of Civics sold in the U.S. are sedans. I am assuming you are steering towards the coupe among the Civics.

Both of these cars are actually pretty cheap to maintain. Long-life coolant and spark plugs mean they need little beyond oil changes for the first few years. The Civics still run a timing belt, which will cost you about $500 to replace halfway through the car's life. The RSX has a timing chain.

If you have really bad roads in your area, pick one for your comparative test drives. The downside to the RSX's wonderful handling is that it can beat you up a little bit over bad pavement. The Civic will soak it up better, but has less crisp handling.

• consult77consult77 Member Posts: 26
    One thought on the practicality of a small car with a hatchback:

I've had a Nissan NX2000 for a very long time. It's a hatchback like the RSX (The RSX is much newer, better design).

I have some much larger cars but when I want to carry something really big I use the little NX. I can get an 8 foot Christmas tree it in it, with the hatch down, by folding the rear seats and the front passenger set down. I once had a 32 inch TV in its huge box in the hatch area. (with the hatch up.) I loaded two full size floor type hi-fi speakers and a front channel unit, all in their boxes in the NX with the hatch up.

Adults and the back seat are not a good match but for one or two people a small car with a hatchback is a great idea.
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    I agree! I've also fit a 8 foot Christmas tree, snowblower (in box), lawnmower (out of box), lumber for retaining wall... in my RSX. It amazes me how much I can fit into it.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Just dropped by to say Hi,and let you know I'm still alive.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Just dropped by to say Hi,and let you know I'm still alive.

:-)

It's good to hear you're still alive. I sometimes get nostalgic for the old forum days and the characters that I chatted/argued with. It was all in good fun.
    see you around
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Hey, good to hear from you, even if it's in a funny place. Unless you sold your 4Runner and bought an RSX. Hey, I always thought you were smart for a prok, so who knows :=)

Hope you're fully recovered from the operation and aftermath...and, who knows...maybe we can get those stiffs to open up IDLSWDY again some day.

I still drop in to TH once in a while, so maybe I'll see you around....
  • brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    i just bought a 2005 acura RSX and i LOVE IT! its cute, nice inside (leather interior, auto) and they do hold their retail value VERY well. i did alot of research and choose the RSX for many reasons. which everone you choose, you will have dependibility with each. imo, the RSX is a better eye catcher but im sure the civic is better on fuel. although i think the RSX gets excellent gas miliage because i had a gas sucking 6-cylinder before the RSX. good luck!
    Some people were asking about rear passenger seating. I don't think it's practical for someone larger than 5'6" or 5'7" to back there for more than a 15-min. ride. I had a 5'9" friend sit back there a couple days ago and he claimed the back of his head smacked the rear windshield when I went over a speed bump.

BTW, my car recently turned 3 and has just over 30 kmi. on the odometer. So far so good. :shades:
  • scottl55scottl55 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a '02 RSX with 35k on it. I am told by the seller that the car had about $6000 in rear end damage on the passenger side when it was totaled. He has all of the paperwork from the body shop. The car is a stick with leather and in great condition. What is it worth? He is very flexible in his price which started out at $11,000. I'm not going to pay over $8000. Is that too much? I won't sell the car if I buy it and will drive it into the dirt! I bought back my '97 B2300 after I hit a deer with it. I got $5400 from the insurance company for it and bought it back for $800. I put another $1500 into it to fix it and now have a great truck to continue to drive. What might the RSX sold for when it was salvaged two years ago? I might talk to a friend who owns a body shop and buys salvage cars to fix and sell. He might has some insights. I'll have a Acura dealer inspect the car before I decide to move on the car. Thanks for any of your insights!

Scott
  • afstudly_dudeafstudly_dude Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone, Im about to get a 05 RSX in July. I live in Tulsa, OK and the acura dealership here has 5 RSX in stock. I wanted the type s but i don't know if its worth it or not to spend an extra $2 K over the regular one. I dont know whats the difference..., can someone please tell me.

The 06 RSX is coming out this august or september so if I get it, I probably can talk my way to it for a cheap price.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Well, the first question is whether you want a stick, since it's standard on the S. If you do, then you have to consider whether you want a 6 spd or 5, since the S comes with 6 only.

There were no factory options with the '02 S, so if you don't want leather, go for the base RSX.

Probably the major differences are in suspension (the S is noticeably stiffer) and more HP in the upper range. The S also has a better sound system with a woofer in the rear cargo area.

There were a few other minor differences in the '02 (not sure if they all apply to the '05), like the exhaust, some lower panel colors, and the shift knob is different. Also, color availability was slightly different as well.

Whether it's worth $2k is entirely up to you.
    in '05, you get the delicious 17s if you go for the 'S'. You still get 16" rims on the base model.

If you really like to make the needle climb the tach, you should go for the 'S'. As for the stereo, the one in the type-S should be the minimum for a car like this. The base model's stereo is inadequate.

However, the base model does get better gas mileage due to the gearing, and will get to 60 in second gear, rather than having to shift to third as in the 'S'. Not to mention it is the only one available with cloth, as pointed out above.

"The base model's stereo is inadequate."

LOL. You're being too generous by calling it "inadequate" (BTW, this is also true for the Type-S stereos). I have some choice words for the stock stereo system, but I'll refrain from putting typing them here lest a moderator will be displeased, LOL.

BTW, I got the 30 kmi. service done on my car by a mechanic. All is well so far. In about 1 year/10 kmi., I plan to do some serious work, such as replace the tires/wheels (upgrade to 17"), maybe upgrade the suspension, replace the stock HU, etc. I better start saving up!

BTW #2, do you remember when we were discussing high performance all-season tires several months ago? Just as I'm ready to rule out Michelin altogether (given how badly they suck for our car), I got the following link from tirerack.com of new Michelin tires that did pretty well in their initial tests. Check out the article:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_pilot_exalto_as.jsp
  • joaorvjoaorv Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, my first time posting.

I'm considering buying a 2005 Acura RSX, i wanted the type S, but where i live (i'm not in the US) apparently we only get the base model with 5 speed +/- sequential transmission, I was realy looking forward to all the neat features of the S, not least of all the 210 ho and 6 speed MT.

Now my question is this, For someone that realy enjoys driving sporty, will the base RSX still be enjoyable or does it become a slow unenjoyable car. I saw in a review that the type S does about 6.4 0-60 but i find nothing on the base model.

Also i never drove sequential transmissions, can they take the punishment of frequent shifting all the time and are they fast. and do they become a problem maintenance wise if you are always pushing the gear box.

Another thing, can the base mobel be considerably improved with after market parts while keeping it street legal? Not too loud and nothing the police would stop me over for. The only thing police check if they stop you over is body appearance and tires, if those are according to your car documents they don't go under your hood.

Thx for any imput you may have.
    Now my question is this, For someone that realy enjoys driving sporty, will the base RSX still be enjoyable or does it become a slow unenjoyable car. I saw in a review that the type S does about 6.4 0-60 but i find nothing on the base model.

I bought my sport shift because I was doing a lot of stop and go driving with a long commute to work. In other words, I needed a economical car that was fun to drive.
    I have nearly 60,000 miles on it and I still have fun driving it. I don't know if you will feel the same way as I do about it though. 0-60 times for the auto are around mid to low 8 second times.

Also i never drove sequential transmissions, can they take the punishment of frequent shifting all the time and are they fast. and do they become a problem maintenance wise if you are always pushing the gear box.

I use mine all of the time. Well, highway cruising I'll switch to auto mode since there's not much to do there anyways. As I said above....60,000 miles and I have had no problems with it. I don't take it up to redline either though. The good thing is that the auto has a redline limiter and software that will prevent you from shifting down a gear and damaging the engine. In other words, it knows that if you downshift into first at 30 miles per hour, you would be above the redline and it just won't shift.
    I also use the sport shift to downshift while cornering. It keeps the rpms up and allows the car to launch out of corners....something that is hard to do with a traditional auto.

Another thing, can the base mobel be considerably improved with after market parts while keeping it street legal? Not too loud and nothing the police would stop me over for. The only thing police check if they stop you over is body appearance and tires, if those are according to your car documents they don't go under your hood.

There are quite a bit of aftermarket parts for the RSX auto. Not that I recommend it, but there is also turbocharging and supercharging that is available.
    I wouldn't recommend it because the tranny probably would not hold up too well.

Do some research on the internet and you will find what you are looking for.
    Really it depends on what you've driven in your driving history, and what aspects of driving you like.

My girlfriend just bought an RSX (auto) and since she's new to driving, I've been doing some of the driving as she builds up her confidence. I don't think I'll ever have as much fun in an automatic as in a manual, but other than that the RSX is absolutely wonderful... to me.

To give you some perspective... I've mostly driven bottom-end (in the US market) early '90s Japanese stickshift cars. Not really by choice. But I've come to love their lightness and how fun it is to throw them into a turn. And they didn't have power steering, so I got used to perfect steering feel (though the Sentra is really tiring; Toyota did an infinitely better job with the Tercel's manual steering).

So when I drive a new car that should be better in every way, I often find that the steering is too easy and devoid of feel - like a video game - and the car feels heavy and chunky. I'd even say that about my friend's WRX STi that I tried out. Amazing acceleration, but you have to be going dangerously fast for the steering to tell you you're near any limits, and it really did feel like a chunky car.

I haven't explored the RSX's limits, but the steering felt great in normal driving, and while the windows are rather small, the car felt like it had the enjoyability of a small, light car, without the budget-car feel. The suspension in the base RSX is great compared to anything I've driven (haven't tried the type S), but if you're willing to modify your car then you have plenty of backup plans (but RSX message boards suggest that many aftermarket parts lead to certain problems... safer to stick to Honda/Acura upgraded parts (HFP/A-spec) or Mugen).

If you're a torque person, neither the base nor the type-S engine will do it for you. Otherwise, I hear the base engine doesn't feel much different from the type-S's until you reach around 6,000rpm. Above that, everything changes, of course. But the base engine is good for turbo/supercharging, while the type-S's isn't. That costs more than the type-S price difference... but high rpm are loud, while turbos have some muffling attributes.

I hope you can get the base RSX with a manual gearbox where you are.
    the base RSX manual runs 0-60 in the mid-7s. Car mags generally run mid to high 7s for the Civic SI, which has the same power and weight, but requires a shift to third to hit 60, so I figure the RSX should do a couple of ticks better.

Straight line power is not the rush of the RSX, lithe responsiveness is. But it is also plenty fast enough to get out of its own way, without being a gas hog.

beowulf: that is the second time I have heard good things about those Pilot Exaltos, and I must admit I am keping them at the top of my mind for replacements. I must admit I lean toward Michelins just from having had many good experiences with them, so if I can stay with Michelins and find a good tire, I would like to. Tire Rack not only rated the Exalto better than its old fave, the ContiExtremeContact, it also mentions that the Michelins are QUIETER than the Continentals. Any ounce of "quieter" I can extract from the tires in this particular car, I will take! :-)

Thanks for all the replies!

nitromax - Good to know the squential gear box is holdign out well, although i suspect i would abuse it a bit more than you do :). 0-60 in the low 8s sounds a tad slow for what i had in mind :(

carlisimo - I live in the City, in Macau, near Hong kong, it's all city no highway, so i realy enjoy cornering a lot, there are some roads here that are prety deserted at night and are in the less developed part of the city where they haven't built much yet so you can put your foot down and enjoy the drive. I want a car that can get to high speed on short ammount of road, corners well then has the power to get out of the corner and up to speed again quickly.

I've owned a 1999 Hyunday coupe 2.0 140hp (i think its called tiburon in the states) it was a nice car to drive... for a while, then it just felt slugish, no recovery power when you are forced to break and want to get back up to high speed, bad suspention arround the corners and the breaks were not what i had hoped for either, basicaly i would never buy another one and i sold mine a few years back.

I used that money towards the house i bought and i bought a used 1991 Daihatsu cuore for very cheap, i basicaly destroyed the car, oil started leaking to the head of the engine, i broke part of the front suspention on the driver side (i'm heavy!), basicaly had to sell the car after 1 year.

Then bought a 1990 Subaro M80, it's a nice litle car, and it has held out quite a bit, have had it the last 3 years. It has suffered it's share of abuses, needed a new camber shaft (think thats what its claled that revolving part at the top of the cylinders, also needed one piece replaced at the bottom of one of the cylinders crank shaft. it over heat and when it cool down it was deformed so was making a lot of noise, those were last year after a particulary abusive night and the engine almost died. then this year i had to replace the whole gear box. good thing is you can get second hand pieces for dirty cheap. over here.

It's a fun car as far as small cars go, and i do give the imprenzas and civics a run for their money arroudn the corners, probably because most of the guys that tweak up their cars and come "race" at night just don't drive that well, but it does say something for my litle car. I can pull so much out of him and so eay to get back under controll. realy fun car. But... it doesn't satisfy, not nearly and i'm gona end up destroying this car since my low end driving still puts it at red line most of the time and near fusion point when i realy go for it.

Anyway for my next car i wanted something with over 200hp and under 6.5sec 0-60 that handled well while at the same time lookign like a respectfull enough car during normal everyday driving', and the Type S seemed to have all that, now the Base RSX on paper just seems to fall short.

I was actualy quite shocked they don't get the RSX-S here since we are so close to Japan, I still have to check with other car dealers, i still have confidence i can push them into ordering a type S for me but that's a very long shot, if the car is not "leagal" here there's not much i can do, but i suppose if the RSX is legal here then why wouldnt the type S be, it's still a 2 liter engine. For exemple the Mitsubishy eclipe is not legal here. Anoher oddity since we are in Asia.

I will defntly try to push for a 5 speed manual in case the S is simply impossible to get, but the car market here is prety anal... the normal asia doesn;t know how to drive AT let alone MT. I'm alone in the desert...

And yet thx for the heads up on the aftermarket parts, i was actualy thinking of going with "official" racing parts if i mod anyrthing.

For starters i was going to put the best tires for the particular car i think thats the number one thing that you can do to improve the car and the maybe some racing breakses if i find the original ones don't cut it. Also the normal RSX onyl offers up to 16" wheels while the Type S ofers 17", do you think 17" on the normal one would be deterimental or can the engine handle it?

nippononly - seems like it would be more or less on par with the 1999 tiburon i had, man i realy wanted that type-S!

Yep i also noticed the millage is quite decent for sucha car, the Tiburon was a damn hog. one of the reasons i sold it.

I'll keep those tires in mind too :)
    I was looking through the goverment website under the list of authorised cars and under acura they just had the 2004 RSX model but under honda they had the 2005 Integra Type R M/T. Now am i dreaming or isn't this the RSX-S? i searched on the web and found out it is the same car only it gets called RSX in the US.

I'm gona check some dealers and get to the bottom of this. There is hope!

Anyone know if there is any diference at all between the RSX and the Integra type-R?
    Found a webpage with the type R, it has 217 Hp and 153 torque or about that, so it is more powerfull than the Type-S. I realy got to go dealer hunting and find one that imports this model then test drive it.
    The RSX is only called an Integra evreywhere except the US. You may have hit the jackpot!
    :-)
    Sure hope so! that Type-R looks very sweet, limited slip diferential, momo wheel, brembo breakes, and this page i found estimates the 0-60 at arround 5.5 secs, but they have a desclaimers that is a power calculation and not from a road test.

Macau is very wierd as far as cars go, we get some stuff then don't get other and there are many diferent car dealers, there is no "Honda" dealer here, there are several diferent dealers that import Honda/ Acura cars.

I asked the father of on of my collegues at work (he is prety old now but used to work as a salesman) and he checked with some car dealer for the RSX-S he told me they would have in about a month. Then the other day my wife was passing by another dealer and asked them for prices and they did not have the Type S only the normal RSX and said Macau does not have the Type S.

Then yesterday i found in the goverment website that the integra Type R is listed in the authorised cars list. Someone must have legalised it so someone must be importing it. The goverment works would not go and add the car themselves, there must be a dealer out here that is importing them and legalised the car to be imported to macau.

Then there are other wierd things, like the Integra appears under honda mostly but there is also an entry for a 1996 integra under acura, then under acura you have the 2002 and 2004 RSX but nothign for 2005.

My big hope is that the Integra Type-R M/T is clearely listed as a 2005 model so worst case scenario i could order it myself from japan and it would be legal here, but then i probably would have no warranties here. I'm going on vacation for a few dyas, when i come back i'm going to check that dealer that the father of my firend sugested and check out if they have the S or the R. Any of those will do alright. Just not the base model.

I could end up owning one before the end of the year! Gona depend on a few financial things going on too.
    Yes, the type-R is better than the RSX-S, with 10 more hp (due to better gas, I think), and the limited-slip differential. However, the RSX-S is more luxurious... it has leather seats, which are too slippery and wide for me (as does the Integra type-S... which appears to be the RSX-S?). The type-R has Recaro racing seats. Also, the RSX-S has a lot of sound insulation. I don't know if the type-R has that too... but I wouldn't assume so. R has no moonroof; S does. R gets beautiful wheels, too.

It only has strong power at high revs though, so you'll be waking up the neighbhorhood as you try to keep the engine in its sweet spot when you exit corners. Something torquey like the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V or V6 Hyundai Coupe might be less frantic. But the RSX-S or Integra type-R are better cars, overall.

(Hey can you get a Nissan Silvia there? That'd be even cooler!)

As for the Honda/Acura thing... nitromax explained the current situation, but I can see why you're still confused. The car came out in 1986, called the Integra. In the US it was the Acura Integra, but Acura only exists in the US, so in the rest of the world it was the Honda Integra. In 2002 when the current one came out (DC5 body code), the name in Japan didn't change. But in the US, all Acuras now had letter names, so they had to change it to the Acura RSX. Some American drivers replace the badges with the Honda H and "Integra" instead of "RSX".
    Oh and here there is a 2005 RSX. Like the Integra, it looks a little different - much more aggressive.
    (What the heck? I just went on Honda's Japanese site, and they have an Integra type-S too! I'm confused!)

I spent some time in Taiwan and noticed the lack of MT drivers. And man... tons of different and varied cars from all over the world, but very, very few sport coupes. Probably all special ordered.
  • tridderitridderi Member Posts: 9
    Use A/C and no re-circ to un-fog the windshield.
    I have owned several Hondas. My first was a '91 Prelude, then a '98 Accord and now an '05 TSX. The Prelude seemed to have that problem quite frequently. The Accord would automatically select A/C and not re-circ when I would press defrost. If I left it like that, it was clear. If I changed either one, it would fog up instantly. I asked the dealership and they also told me that combination. I am using it on my new TSX, and it seems fine.
    Hope this helps ...
    I'm back from vacation and i went to the recomended dealer.... no Type S and no Type R, but they do have a 5 speed manual base RSX, the price is arround 28K US$. Man i wish i lived in the US with your wide array of options and cheaper prices. I asked about optional 16" wheel but they only have 15".

I asked about installing Mugen/ JDM parts and they said they don't do it and that it could void the warranty. Basicaly he told me that japan doesn't give a rats [non-permissible content removed] about the Macau market and they only give them very limited options and their hands are tied.

He did point me in the right direction for a type R, wich was prety cool of him. So i went and found this shop that does import the Type R straight from Japan... they had two in the stand right there!!! they look damn sweet!

I sat in one and checked it out, the recaro seats are way to small, i had one but cheek completly outside the seating area, on top of the side thingy. And they don't change them for me, they said i would have to order new ones myself and they don't offer any rebate on the original ones. Also the speedometer only goes to 180 km/h (in japan all cars get the same 180 km'h speedometer) so i would want to change that too. The guy said each seat would probably be arround 1250 US$ each!

The wheels looked super hot 17", with the big brambo brakes showing through... i had to wipe some drool and a grin off my face. They had potenza tires too.

But the price tag was about 34K US$ only 1 year warranty on the engine and transmission. add the price of changing the seats... totaly off budget for me. I was about ready to sob.

So where i stand now is wait a few weeks for the normal RSX to arrive, the man is gona call me and test drive it (he said he thinks i'll change my mind once i test drive it, i told him i was afraid the base model would just feel too slow). So once i test drive it i'll see what i think about it.

The intirior of the base model will be much more luxurious than the type R, leather and all.

If it were 3-5 years from now with the house almost payed i might be able to cough up the money for a type R, but it will just set us back too much, the base model at the prices they are asking here is already a big streach. I had hoped i would be able to get the S for the price they are asking for the base model....

So i'm thinking if i do buy the base model, after 3-4 years when the warranty is over and the house is almost paid i have a few choices. Start upgrading parts like cold air intake, put some brambo breaks and whatever else i can think of/ learn about. or sell the car and buy something better. I'm sure 4 years from now the car market and my financial situation will offer a lot more options.

Carlisimo - The nissan silvia is the nissan 200X? here they call it the "airplane" and it's a few years old right? I wouldn't trust buying "racing" cars second hand here. They drive them too horribly and mod them in a way i'm not sure they don't do more harm than good. I never see any good car be driven properly over here. i'm realy looking for a first hand car that will give me no problems.
    If anyone is interested I recently bought a set of Toyo Proxes 4 to replace the original tires that came with my '03 RSX Type-S. Wow what a difference. The Toyos stick to the ground much better than the originals. They are much stiffer in corners as well. I no longer feel like my tires are flexing during aggressive cornering. I could 'chirp' my old tires in the 1st 3 gears fairly easily. Now I can barely get a chirp in 1st and nothing in 2nd or 3rd. I feel much more secure on the road now. Unfortunately I had to buy them a little earlier than I wanted because of a flat tire. They will have a little wear before the next winter season rolls along. They will still have plenty of tread before the next snow starts to fall.
  • kmakma Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the market for a new car (my '94 Altima is starting to require more and more upkeep costs). I've narrowed it down to an '05 RSX base, 4cyl, AT, or an Accord EX 4 cyl, AT. The dealer prices I've received have been pretty similar (with the RSX being slightly cheaper). I plan on keeping the car for a minimum of 7 or 8 years so resale value doesn't matter much. Other than the RSX being sportier, what are the other differences between the cars? Any reliability issues with either? I'm looking for something will low maintenance costs and something that will continue to look "new" for years, instead of the models that look dated two years later.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    The RSX to me would be a bullet proof car and the four cyl Ex would have a softer ride. Either car will be slower than your Altma,but better on gas.If you get leather in the EX you can get heated seats.
    The RSX is a fun ride and has good low end torque.
    Me I get the RSX,but it's a lot fimer and how's your back? I have a Type S now and had 3 Integras and no problems at all.
    nailed it. I would add that there is a BIG difference space-wise between the two cars, and visibility out of the RSX is noticeably worse. Accord feels like a fairly big car to me, whereas the RSX is a driver's cockpit, which might feel confined to some.

RSX stereo sucks, the 6-disc in the Accord EX is a pretty nice unit, and you can get it with XM.

• kmakma Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the feedback re: Accord vs. RSX. I've talked to a few dealers, and they've given me mixed answers on the type of gas to use. The brochure says 86 for base model and 91 for the S model, but I've been told by some that the base model should have the higher grade gas as well. I'd really like to be able to use regular fuel (gas prices in San Diego are $2.50+). Has anyone had any trouble with using regular gas in the base model?

So far I'm getting OTD quotes of $22,000 for the '05 base model, AT, cloth, with the spoiler. Seem like a good deal?

Thanks!
    kma
    kma:

My girlfriend got a base RSX with leather and AT for $20,500 (not out of door). She sent out emails to get quotes from the internet salesmen.

As for gas, the type-S needs premium for its rated power output. The base is fine on the cheap stuff (its power rating is based on it) but its engine can take advantage of better gas. Many modern cars' computers adjust the engine timing to increase power as much as the gasoline will allow before it starts knocking.

==

joaorv:

That sucks about the prices. In Spain cars sell for similar prices - I guess there's a tax on speed. For what it's worth though, people in the US also wonder if the type-S is worth the extra cost. The type-S would've been a good fit, since you get most of the type-R's ability, but you get the base model's leather interior and larger seats. Still, the normal RSX is great, now that you've found one with a manual transmission.

After the warranty period (think of it as a few years in which to master the car before you upgrade it), some people swap the engine out for a type-R's, others turbo it. Supercharging seems to be the most common. But you probably won't be drag racing a lot. (Gotta warn you though; I found out recently that the Toyota Celica GT-S is considered to handle better, unless you modify the RSX's suspension.)

I'm not sure if the Nissan Silvia is the 200SX. In the US, the 200SX was the name given to a 2-door version of the Sentra; it was a weak, ugly, front-wheel drive unsport car. In Europe, I think the Silvia was called the 200SX, but it's confusing. The chassis code doesn't change though, and for the three generations of the Silvia they've been S13, S14, and S15. Either way, you're right about not wanting to buy a second-hand one.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    This is the kind of choice I'm looking at too.

Was looking at sportier, high performance cards. But I realize getting 25 MPG in the city is better than getting 20 MPG in the city these days.

Don't need a real fast car, want AT.

Other factors are good crash ratings, quiet operation and aux port for iPods.

Unfortunately, these factors favor more expensive cars while the mileage and performance factors favor something like the RSX or the Accord EX.

Are people definitely getting 25 MPG in the city with the AT RSX?
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I own a 2004 RSX, manual with about 25,000 miles. I enjoy every aspect of the vehicle. It is sporty, comfortable, fun to drive, very efficient, and it has Acura quality.

I must admit that I live in New Hampshire, and do not experience much in the way of "city" driving. My normal driving is in the 40 - 70 mph range, but I consistently get 38-41 mpg per tank on low test gas. With the price of gas ... I consider this my economy car. Why buy a hybrid? They do not do much better.

Now, driving habits are all important. To achieve that kind of efficiency, you cannot "race" away from every stop light. But oh how I love the feel when I pass someone, and occasionally let the "horses romp."

Honda/Acura have achieved a remarkably versatile engine .... it is like the best of both worlds. The engines two personalities are neck snapping performance or efficiency. With the price of gas, the efficiency is the predominant personality right now. It is all on the way that you drive it.
    Happy motoring.
    I couldn't agree more about the "two personalities" thing. Move up to a "sport sedan" (or even a regular sedan) with a V-6 or a large 4, and the ability to extract that really great gas mileage is gone. With RSX, you can have both. I don't really baby mine the way you probably do to achieve those numbers, but I have plenty of fun and still get 31-32 mpg all the time in suburban driving.

beowulf: that is the second time I have heard good things about those Pilot Exaltos, and I must admit I am keping them at the top of my mind for replacements. I must admit I lean toward Michelins just from having had many good experiences with them, so if I can stay with Michelins and find a good tire, I would like to. Tire Rack not only rated the Exalto better than its old fave, the ContiExtremeContact, it also mentions that the Michelins are QUIETER than the Continentals. Any ounce of "quieter" I can extract from the tires in this particular car, I will take! :)

Hey nippon, I must say that I'm pretty interested in those Michelins, too. I actually have had a poor opinion of them based on their stock tires that were in my then Integra and now RSX-S. But I will look for user reviews once more and more people buy those tires and post their opinions. Yeah, the extra quiet factor would be a nice bonus, but I mainly want very good wet/dry performance and acceptable snow/ice performance. :shades:
    The RSX is only called an Integra evreywhere except the US. You may have hit the jackpot! :)

Actually, it's also called "RSX" in Canada. ;)
This discussion has been closed.