Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Actually, it's also called "RSX" in Canada.

I sit corrected.
    :-)

ok, North America :P
  • sonnysayshisonnysayshi Member Posts: 11
    Just curious if anyone has heard whether Acura has planned a redesign of the RSX for 2006 or 2007. I've looked at many web sites and have not seen any news. thanks
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the Integra might get a redesign for MY '07, but signs seem to be suggesting that when that happens, the RSX line at Acura North America will end. I think they will cover this area of the price and performance spectrum with higher-trim Civics from then on. I still hold out a little hope they will bring the Integra here as a Honda Integra, but I kinda doubt that will happen. :-(

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sonnysayshisonnysayshi Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. I would be very disappointed if Acura discontinued its sport coupe. This car -- sporty, performance, quality build, reasonable expense -- may be completely unique in the car market. It has been on my very short list. I was hoping for an aggressive redesign in the next couple of years.
    that's what I am saying: Acura WILL more than likely discontinue its sport coupe in North America. Will there be a next-gen Integra that you can get if you live in Japan? Yeah, probably. But if you've seen what Honda is going to do with the next Civic, it seems like it is written in the cards that Civic EXs and SIs will substitute for the Integra/RSX at Honda North America after MY '06.

Sheesh, the '06 Civic SI is going to be equipped exactly as the current RSX-S is powertrain-wise and suspension-wise, AND it will have a standard limited slip as well! All for less money, probably, since it is likely that as a Civic it will have standard cloth and optional leather.

This is a car that will be available in three months. A whole year before RSX/Integra gets any sort of update. It will also be the first Civic ever whose base price goes over the $20K mark, I bet.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    LOL "I sit corrected". That makes more sense since usually people are sitting down when they've been corrected.

Not to get picky, but I wonder if the RSX is sold in Mexico. :confuse:
    I've also heard that the 2006 Acura RSX will be the final year for the RSX. :( I'm sure Japan will keep the Honda Integra brand going. And I think you're right in that Integra/RSX-like features will make it into a higher trim Honda Civic. How about a Civic Type-S? :D

So Acura would then have no 2-door cars except for the exclusive NSX. :surprise:

Well, by the time I'm done w/ my RSX (hopefully it'll last me another 5 years of good use!), I plan to go AWD anyways, be it w/ Acura or another make.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Well, not to beat a dead horse but, while I was gasing up an a RSX from Quebec pulled in behind me. He liked my clear mask ,spoiler.fog lamps stone guard etc. I was checking out his ride also. He had heated seats as standard equipment on his car. He didn't refer to his car as a Type S though. I could see no difference.
    Then another francais pulls in with a sweet HB called a Cherolet Ortho not made in USA according to the owner.Best fit and finish I ever saw GM put out.
    So my question is how do you buy a car in Canada an AcuraType S in order to get the heated seats?
    My dealer wants me to puchase a TSX but, to me it's a chick car.( shouldn't of said that ) I live in Maine so is it a hassle to buy over the boarder? Merci mes amies.
    Despite its age, the RSX-S just won C&D's latest "cheap speed" comparo (base price $25K or less, power at least 200 hp), so if 2006 is really its last MY, it will be going out in style.

They called the SRT-4 the brute you would never want to drive on the street, characterized the Cobalt SS S/C and Ion Redline as acres of cheap plastic and numb steering with little feedback (and a hard unsophisticated ride in the case of the Ion, large long car driving feel in the case of the Cobalt), and liked lots of things about the WRX but hated the "Wait-all-day" turbo lag.

The RSX was slowest through the slalom but had the best skidpad and by far the most sophisticated ride and nicest interior. It is funny, their remarks pretty much hit the best and worst of this car right on the head, as far as how I have come to think of it (one of the downsides was suspension that became a little crashy over the worst of the potholes). By FAR the best shifter of the lot, in fact C&D is slightly infatuated with the RSX's shifter and holds it up as the example all sticks should aspire to in other car ratings, even much more expensive cars from Europe. And still one of the nicest interiors in its price range/class, even after four years plus.

I was thinking about it, and all the cars here were fairly old. They didn't include a Mustang, which they should have, although I think it would have been embarassed in the handling department (but probably would have been a better all-around car than the Dodge and Saturn). The WRX has been updated twice in four years, with no major revision, but decent interior upgrades both times. No powertrain changes though. The SRT-4 has had power upgrades but no other changes in three years. The GM cars are the newest, so to score fourth and fifth just goes to show the General still misses the point of cars like this.

I will be sad when the RSX disappears, but I guess that just puts us owners in possession of something kinda rare, eh?! ;-)

I doubt the whole five year run will get much over 100K cars, maybe 125K or so. Doesn't hold a candle to the Integra sales of the mid-90s, but doesn't mean you never see them anywhere either. :-)

and under new SAE rules for determining power output, you folks with the type-S have just lost 9 horses! That's right, for 2006 the exact same powertrain is now rated for 201 hp, down from 210. The folks with the base model lose 5 hp, to 155 hp. :-)

that someone who has never posted here before dropped in that link to the DetNews article?

:-P

The cars of course, drive exactly the same as they did before, including the RSX-S, which seems to be winning lots of comparos lately, especially against the Cobalt SS S/C...

Well, they did post a lot on the GM boards. hmmmmm

:-)
    you know what, I noticed that too! :-)

• jdm_rsx_tsjdm_rsx_ts Member Posts: 4
    Hey, i just signed up with this cause i was lookin at the boards and found them interesting and very helpful. I'm 16 and will be getting my liscence in october. lol, i've been into import cars for about 3-4 years now and have looked at many different cars. The car that i have been driving is an 01' BMW 325i, which isn't bad, but it doesn't have any pick-up, and it is stick by the way. I wanna know if this would be a good car for me to get. i've read a lot about it and have compared plenty of different cars like the favorite civic, and altima and other ones like that. i so far like the type s better then all at the moment. if somebody could just tell me the pros and cons of getting one that the reviews don't have, like first hand, and power wise, like i know how much hp and [non-permissible content removed] like that it has, but like experiences with it and the handling. that would be great. thanks
    anything to top it for sheer tossable-ness (is that a word?). The problem with a lot of sporty cars is that they have too much weight, and RSX absolutely does NOT have that problem!

As for pick-up, well the BMW has got it beat on torque at low revs - RSX is a car you have to rev to get the power out of, and in so doing it can be a TON of fun. But it is not the best candidate for stoplight racing, if that is your gig.

There is a fair amount of road noise, and a just-adequate stock stereo, as the two main drawbacks to this model. The shifter is the best in the biz, as is the handling like I said. Back seat is tight - it's really a two-seater with two extra emergency seats.

The BMW is nice because it is rear drive. RSX is front drive, and it is fairly easy to lose traction at the front when you're taking off from a stop, if you try and do it fast.

Apart from that, I dunno. I love this car. Canyon carving is my favorite little hobby, and of all the cars I have owned this one takes the cake for speed through the twists and turns. Steering is heavy, precise, just the way I like it. Brakes are excellent.

At your age, both these cars will be immensely expensive to insure, I am afraid.

• sevans28sevans28 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in purchasing an RSX but have some reservations about going with a car this size (moving from a slightly bigger accord coupe). I would like to know if anyone has experience fitting a pair of ski's in the back and, at the same time, if they were also able to leave one of the rear seats up so that a small person can sit in the back as well.

Thanks in advance.
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    I'm new to this forum. I test drove a 2005 RSXs (6 manual) today and came away with some thoughts and impressions. The handling was very good but a bit slow on exceleration. I'm currently driving a 2004 Toyoto Solara V6 automatic and not very happy with it. It's not a turbo but it has the same lag time. I've owned 2 turbo cars (1 manual and the other automatic) and the manual was very responsive but the auto was terrible. I like the size of the Solara but not its performance. Plse give me your take on the RSXs. ;)
    the RSX is a road course car, a triumph of finesse over guts. How's that for an artsy sounding description?! :-)

It is NOT a drag racer. Neither is the Solara V-6.

You want a gutsy coupe with a ton of power right off the line, Mustang GT is the one for you, no question. If even that won't satisfy, the BMW M3 should be your next stop.

If that might be a little more guts or a little more money than your spec, you would do well to check out the new cars from VW Group (currently the base A3, base A4, and base '06 Passat, soon to include VW GTIs and Jetta GLIs) with the new 2.0T motor - it is a powerful work of art, and the turbo lag of the old 1.8 is gone.

• jdm_rsx_tsjdm_rsx_ts Member Posts: 4
    hey thanks for the last response nippononly. ummm yeah so i've been tryin to look up parts and stuff on how to better the torque on the 02 type s. so i was wondering what parts should i get, and like brands. ok so thats all about torque. now i've been debating these two exhausts, magnaflow, which has a tight deep sound and the evo 2 which i'm not sure how it sounds but i heard it was quiet. i'm not too much worried about the sound, more about the gain in hp from both of them. so yeah that would help me out. ok, lol, now onto intakes. i'm gunna get a short ram cause i don't feel like goin through the hassle of taking it off and on. so the two i'm lookin at are the aem v2 and the injen (idk what its called lol). i've seen a lot about ppl talking about the v2, but the same for the injen. also if there are any other ones that i should be considering. damn i'm writin a long post, umm. and headers, does anyone know anyone's that would be best for the 02 type s? i'm pretty much goin all engine, no turbo or supercharger, for one they cost way too much for me, and... i heard the matinance is crazy, and.... i'm 16 and its my first car so... not that that means anything but lol i have school so... ok anyways i'm gunna do some interior upgrades though you know cause i gotta make the ride look nice on the inside for me and my ladies. ;) so yeah i'm not sure how much i'm gunna put into my car but the questions i asked previously are the parts i'm gunna for sure do. aight thanks for listening to me talk forever bout the parts n stuff.
    You're not going to see much gain in HP from changing the exhaust except on the extreme top end of the RPMs. Spend your money somewhere else.
    The engine was design to run at a certain air flow rate so until you start tweaking engine internals, an exhaust (which evacuates the air from the engine) won't give much gain and may even hurt your performance....unless you want more noise then I would say the exhaust upgrade is for you.

Intakes: I notice you're from southern Cali so you deal with heat quite a bit. The problem with the intakes you are considering is that they take air in strictly from the engine compartment. V2's and other short ram intakes like the Injen can have what is called "heat soak" and suffer from poor performance due to the hot engine compartment. Also, short rams tend to be much louder than stock so I don't know if that's what you're after.
    For you I would suggest a cold air intake which has a longer tube and takes air in from outside the engine compartment. Injen makes one and so does AEM....another type is the Comptech Ice box. There are other makes and models but those three are the most popular. They provide the most gains in torque and HP as far as staying all engine.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    I read the comments in another very active RSX forum that has lots of posters like you, so here is what I see in your future:

You will modify the car and then it will have problems, perhaps as serious as you mis-shifting and blowing up your engine. Then you will take it to your dealer and they will say your mods voided your warranty. This has happened to several people.
  • davidg3davidg3 Member Posts: 16
    I do alot of commuting, 110 per day. 2/3 on highway at 70+ and 1/3 on country roads. Love the look of the RSX-S and enjoyed a short test drive. Now the big question, anyone out there do a substantial amount of driving in their RSX and can comment on the long range comfort? Thanks
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    Hey there. Glad you love your RSX-S. Well, I drive about 80 miles/day about 70 miles on the freeway and the rest are city driving. In my daily driving, I find the RSX-S really comfortable, even with the racing inspired suspension and the engine/tire noise. I guess it depends on the driver's taste in vehicle type. People who love car tuning and doing some modifications on their cars would definitely find the RSX-S really comfortable. But for people who are more on the stock/luxury side, I guess they might experience some discomfort driving the RSX. I'm kind of a car tuning enthusiast myself and I really like everything in my RSX-S. The leather bucket seats are really comfortable and controlls to everything are well placed. I don't know what's the feeling being on the backseat since no one drives my car but me. Overall, I'm loving every minute I'm behind the wheel of my RSX-S. :shades:
    to Texas - about 1400 miles each way from here, all interstate. The road roar gets a bit tiresome, and you hope for not too many stretches of the really bad broken concrete sections that California so excels at. But the rest of the time it is manageable, and for me it is fine. It depends on what you are coming out of, as to whether or not your commute would bother you. A 65 mile commute wouldn't bother me in this car.

• davidg3davidg3 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks, that is reassuring. I am currently in a Honda Accord and like the comfort but not the feeling of isolation I have from the actual driving. My worry is that the fantasy will die fast, and what is left is all the jitter and noise for many long hours in the car. My favorite commuting car was a 1987 Accord coupe. Small, nimble, gutsy.
  • hirevshirevs Member Posts: 2
    David, it sounds like your commute is exactly like mine. I own an '03 RSX-S and do 55 mi each way to/from Atlanta on a daily basis. The roads I travel on are in great shape, mostly well paved macadam, with almost no potholes or section gaps. Here's what I think about long range comfort:

Posture: I've been a VW driver for the last 25+ years, having owned bugs, a Rabbit, a Jetta, a Scirocco, and a Passat - all of which were very comfortable for distance and local driving (okay, the Bugs were lame and the Scirocco could have been roomier), and I've found the RSX seating position entirely different from the VW's. Not bad different, but just more legs-stretched-out and low to the ground sort of different. Posture wise, I'd say It feels a lot like the British cars a friend has. It did take time to get used to, but the seats adjust sufficiently to provide plenty of variation.

Ride: I wanted a car that handled well, thus the RSX-S. It is a bit stiff, courtesy of the sport suspension, but on smooth roads, it's not objectionable. Road noise is also tolerable on smooth roads. Mechanically, the car is as solid as they come. There are no rattles and the shifter is as precise as anything the Germans make. However, I recently took a trip north through Tennessee, and in several areas the highway changed to sectioned concrete which was badly neglected. In fact, it was @&#! terrible! At highway speed (70+ mph), the rhythmic vibration nearly shook my fillings loose. I'm sure it would have been better if the car hadn't been so heavily loaded. It finally got to the point that I had to slow down and do the legal limit. Road noise on rough concrete is also more than desired, but I do still have the original tires, which most regard as very noisy.

Engine/responsiveness: Power with the S isn't lacking. If I need to blow by a slow poke on the highway, it's usually not even necessary to downshift. Although many regard the engine as short on torque, there is plenty for normal commuting (the car weighs less than 2800 lbs). The 200 horsepower comes in handy on long hills. The RSX pulls strongly where I used to have to downshift other cars. In driving locally through the daily gridlock of Atlanta, the need to shift isn't as constant and annoying as many people make it out to be. Keep in mind that the RSX-S redlines at almost 8 grand. That's a lot of flexibility to decide whether you want to shift or not. If you want it quiet - shift up. Otherwise, just let it rev a bit. Does this abuse the car? I don't think so. To this day the car still purrs at idle like it did when it was new, no valve taps or tics. I've never had to add oil between changes, and my oil change intervals have grown longer. I use Castrol synthetic blend or Syntec, which when I changed it at the first 3K interval, drained out perfectly clean. It looked as though I had just changed it! I've stretched the interval to 5,000 miles now, but the oil still drains out fairly yellow. I'm finding it had to accept that this engine runs so tight, but that's what the oil says.

All in all, there are certainly more comfortable cars on the road, but it's hard to find a car that's as comfortable as a couch, rides like it's on rails and is powered by a rocket. The RSX is a great compromise. Just watch out for those ragged roads.
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    i just want to hear some other ppls opinions, not goin by money concerns, even though it is but that aside..would it be worth getting rid of my 02 Celica GT for a 02 RSX type-S? yes i know the rsx is better in prob just about every catagory,i dont know about handling though, never driven one but the celica is exellent. anyways,, i know there may be a bias, but i want to hear what other ppl think, also i know this may not be the forum for it but i just want to hear a few thoughts, thanks
    responded to your post on this topic in the Celica thread. The Celica handles amazingly well - handling will be about the same in the Acura - but the Acura has heavy steering with a small dead spot on center (of which I am not too fond, but hey, no car is perfect), while the Celica lacks the dead spot but has steering that feels too light to me.

On pavement that is less than glass-smooth, the RSX is a lot less jittery than the Celica, controlling body motions better.

• sleekxsr02sleekxsr02 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any bike racks mounted on to their RSX. I drive a 2002 RSX, almost 60K miles. I've been trying to buy a bike rack, checked with all major brands and unable to find one. The reason I was given was that the roof top is curved and that the glass on the back makes it tough. I doubt it but have to accept it. I tried calling Yakima and Thule directly and received a negative response.
    I tried at one of the bike stores.the guy said that he MIGHT try one for around $600(I thought its too costly). Every time, I've to take my bike, I need to fold my rear seats, which I'm uncomfortable to do.
    Anyway, It might not be a great help for me at this time of the year as I live in MI.
    Any help/experience is highly appreciated.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Let me know if you find any. I'm seriously looking at the RSX and the Scion tC as well, but do a lot of biking. I currently have a Honda CRV and put the back seats down so I can fit the bike in.
    Why do you find putting the rear seats down a pain? That was my plan so I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
  • zak_autozak_auto Member Posts: 19
    davidg3,

I have an '03 RSX Type-S that I bought in March of '03. I have approximately 57,000 miles on the car so I have a lot of experience with the RSX.

If you are looking for a soft, super quiet commute than the RSX is not your car. The suspension is stiff, you feel some of the bumps and there is noise when you are on the highway. My father, who is retired did not like the ride but he's used to quiet, smooth sedans. However, I love driving my car. The leather seats wrap you up and hold you in place. The tight steering response lets you react quickly to everything on the road. You can cruise casually in 6th gear or you can downshift and work your way thru traffic or thru a curvy country road with confidence. The 8K redline makes downshifting a lot of fun. I recently replaced the stock tires that came with my car, which were horrible, with Toyo Proxes. I feel ever more secure on the road. The pleasure I get from driving the car far outweighs any negatives, which are minor, that the car may have.

I often drive the car on long trips. I don't find the long rides uncomfortable. I will hit a road side stop and stretch on long trips but that is mostly because I'm in my 30s. After 20 odd years of playing sports and beating up my body I need to stretch the creaks out of my bones. I would probably have to do that with any car on a long trip.
  • zak_autozak_auto Member Posts: 19
    jscev,

I test drove a Celica GT when I was shopping for my '03 RSX Type S. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the Celica. When I was younger the GT was always considered to be a pretty nice car. I was a little surprised. As soon as I test drove the RSX I knew that was the car I wanted. I previously owned a '00 Integra GSR so I might be a little biased towards Acura. The Toyota did not tempt me to switch.
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    thanks everyone for your replies. i figured the rsx was goin to be a better car overall, i just wanted to see if other ppl thought it was as good as what i predicted. i do not mind a "rougher" ride. actually i enjoy that more. i do not like the whole quiet comfortable ride. i just feel like i am driving the car rather then the car is driving me. i dont know if that makes sense to ppl but i love cars and love to drive them. the more in control of the car i am the better. thats why i would only ever own a standard, and the 6 spd type-s has really caught my eye.
    how is the shifting in the rsx type s compared to the celica gt you drove? i hear alot of ppl complaining about the celica gt's manual tranny. they say they feel like they are gunan stall it everytime and it has no pick up and what not but to me i never feel liek im goin to stall and i mean the pickup isnt that horrible....could you tell a considerable difference between the 2? obviously the rsx is goin to be faster but how much, and how much better or worse is it in any other way? i have never driven the rsx type s
  • sleekxsr02sleekxsr02 Member Posts: 2
    Mike:
    I said it as a pain because I can't carry any other stuff inside my car comfortably I need to carry two bikes(mine and my wife's).
    But, we might be able to circumvent this problem, if some one can suggest a hitch and something to hold behind the car, I'm not sure whether this works.
    Again, the customized one costs $600(roughly).
    I shall post if I come across something.
    That makes me feel a bit better about getting an RSX. It's just me when I go biking and I'm a nut as far as keeping my vehicle clean and uncluttered.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    "how is the shifting in the rsx type s"

Many, many, many people have complained about a serious grind when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear.

Others have blown up their engines by downshifting into the wrong gear.

Of course, many people who buy an RSX are young and have no idea what they are doing. I am 60 and shift my 2003 base RSX very smoothly, and the car is an absolute joy to drive. Do I ever love this car!

Maybe the gates in the 6-sp shifter are closer and that makes it easier to mis-shift.

If you look on the internet, you can find other RSX web sites that discuss the problems I mentioned.
    The only solution I can think of for transporting a bike in an RSX - besides folding down the seats and removing the tires - is to install a hitch under the rear bumper and then mount a bike rack on that hitch. It might not be an attractive option, but it'd get the job done.
    I see the RSX is due for a redesign next year. Anyone know of the details or have pictures?
    due for the axe instead. :cry:

Not according to the information listed here on Edmunds.
    when a model has reached its "freshness date", which RSX will have after the 2006 MY. But what can Honda put into the Acura line that will fit it and not be totally upstaged by the top of the Civic line? Already, the base RSX is busy being totally wiped by the 2006 Civic SI arriving at dealers in December. Even the type-S can only just keep up with the new SI, and lacks balance shafts and a limited slip for a price that is $4K higher.

Maybe they will come up with a two-door version of the TSX and call THAT the next RSX, but spiritually it won't be. Integra has never been such a large car, and its reflexes would certainly suffer with such an enlargement. I fear that what will actually happen is Integra will retreat from the American market, where bigger is always better, to places where a car with Integra's reflexes are more appreciated.

And the new base model Acura will be the TSX.

• ezpilzeezpilze Member Posts: 29
    In japan, Honda has already adopted the Integra name. The Honda Integra was produced roughly around the same year as the first rsx, but it featured the same K20 engine with 220 horses and racier suspension.

As for the restyling/replacemnt of the rsx, I wouldn't worry about it too much, because Acura has always stayed true with its base car being relatively fun.
    In the Japanese market, the Integra has ALWAYS been the Honda Integra, and it was only for this gen that Acura North America decided to call the model "RSX". I have no doubt there will continue to be a Honda Integra in Japan after next year.

• mitsugstmitsugst Member Posts: 41
    The Honda Integra (Japans version of the RSX) came out in 2001, so no it's not something new to them, or even something on the same level. They had it a year earlier to do the market testing on. They went all out on the Honda Integra to see what works, what doesn't, what makes sense, what is too expensive for the market. They then refined what worked best, studied the American market, watered it down in certain areas, and sent it here.

About me: I previously owned a Mitsu (Eclipse) GST, and I've owned my RSX-S since July '01 with 08 miles on the odo. I use to be a well respected individual on the Edmunds forums when I owned the MitsuGST with all the knowledge I had of it. I loved my GST, except that it was constantly falling apart (but the engine was solid). I currently love my RSX-S, and it is entirely the opposite of my old car, the engine and Transmission is constantly falling apart (but the car is absolutely solid). Nothing has gone wrong yet with the body of the car, except for the normal faint squeeks and rattles here and there (not like the annoying loud ones in the MitsuGST). As for the drivetrain, I've never had the transmission problems, but everyone else I know does, I've only had multiple engine problems. Just recently it developed a leak on a bad power steering line, where the factory weld was just to thin, and power steering fluid is spraying out of it. RSX-S now has 40K miles, over 4 years old, and the warranty is out (at 4 years, 50k miles). Oh well, I still love the car. I am very pleased.

As for much happier and more exciting news, there is a huge support and following for the RSX-S. There are constantly people that come up and tell me how good my car is and how it looks. I was at a Walmart recently, and a couple guys by a Nissan Armada where drooling over it, and asked if it was a BMW. I told them it was an Acura, and one guy asked what that was. I told him it's the luxury division of Honda, but still made by Honda, so it's a good car (except for the faulty drivetrain). I was surprised they had no idea, but they where impressed when I said Honda, so maybe it should be a Honda Integra. :confuse:

Lastly, there are huge gatherings across the US for people that are excited about the car; kind of like they do for Saturn. Here's the latest one, here in Texas:
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=6861646#post6861646
  • rsx_varsx_va Member Posts: 33
    Sorry about the late reply, I just joined this forum yesterday. Yakima makes a roof rack that should fit the RSX, at least according to the "configurator" on their website. It uses the standard Q-towers with a particular set of clips to fit the RSX roof edges, and 48" bars. http://www.yakima.com

This was good news to me because I already have Yakima rack parts out the wazoo from previous cars, so all I'll need is a new set of clips ($38) and I'm good to go. But unless I'm carrying a bunch of other stuff or more than two people, I'll usually just toss my bike in the back. I haven't checked yet with the RSX, but based on experience with Civics and Accords, it should fit fine with just the front wheel removed.
    Just for a change of pace, I took the back way into work today instead of the highway for the first time with my (new to me) '03 RSX S. Much more fun driving the Type S that way, rowing the gears, working the engine, instead of just droning across all the interstate expansion joints. Unfortunately I got stuck behind a smelly pickup truck. Just as well, though, 'cause I'd probably have set myself up for a speeding ticket otherwise. I'm going to have to watch it in this car.

I'm really amazed at this engine. I've been driving a '95 Honda Accord EX with 5-speed manual for the past 10 years, and got used to its engine which was smooth up until 4000 rpm, then got increasingly strident up to its redline at 6250. The RSX Type S engine is completely different...gentle and throaty below 3000, kind of rough and noisy right around 3000, then actually gets quieter and smoother the higher you go. The highest I've dared to take it so far is 6,500 rpm, and jeebus, it was flying. This thing loves to rev, but it's so docile around town.
    that's the magic of RSX - docile around town, and a real revver when you want it to be. With good enough handling ability that you hardly ever have to even slow down. :-)

• li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Well, at 40k, it's time to retire my stock Michelin Pilot MXM4's. Read the recent thread here about tires and did some research on tirerack. It's obvious that the customer reviews and the test results give starkly different views. I've always wondered at the disparaging comments about the stock Michelins but I figured that the outstanding performance I got was all car and not tire and that it would be so much better (hard to imagine!) with better tires. Lo and behold, the "expert" opinion at tirerack is that the MXM4's are top quality. Only thing is, they are expensive!

So....I'm thinking of getting the Pirelli P Zero Nero (I used to have Pirellis on my Integra) since it seems they are the best combo (for my taste) of dry, wet and snow conditions of the performance tires. I choose to use all seasons year round, so I do not consider winter snows an option.

So...my question is: has anyone here tried the P Zero Neros and what was their experience?
    I just wanted to echo your comment about the MXM's. I thought it was odd that the MXM was such a highly rated tire when it's been bashed so mercilessly. But you know, if you dive into Tire Rack's customer reviews, you find 180-degree opposite views on almost every tire. One review will say "quietest tire ever", and the very next will say "unbelievable loud tire." I can only conclude that tire opinions are extremely subjective, based in large part on what people are used to, the type of car they drive, and the type of driving they do and roads they use. Most people don't drive on more than a few sets of tires in their lifetime, maybe a dozen at most.

FWIW, I think the MXM has an above-average noise level (at least, for a Michelin), and I'm looking at the Bridgestone Turanza as a possible replacement for mine.
This discussion has been closed.