Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi there,
    just had my '03 RSX base' stock Michelins replaced, after 63K miles, with Continental ExteremeContacts. Having made 400 miles on those, I'd say noise's a bit up, steering feedback is a tad duller, but wet grip, in pouring rain, is good, much better than that of Michelins. Here in upstate NY, it does count for something!
  • rsx_varsx_va Member Posts: 33
    Three weeks now with my Type S, and all I wanna do is have some fun. Seriously, when I'm at work I can't wait to get off so I can drive home, and I can't wait to get up in the morning so I can drive to work. When I go out to the garage to get something or take the trash out, I always make a detour to go sit in the RSX for a minute or two. I love this car! Last weekend I went to the warehouse club and stocked up on all manner of stuff. I managed to fit over $200 worth of groceries and supplies in the back of the RSX without even folding the rear seats.

Sorry to gush, I'm just enjoying my car a lot. This is the most fun I've had with a new car since I bought my '86 Civic Si. That car had 91 hp, no radio, manual steering, and no AC, but had the same effect on me. I used to take the Civic for 5-hour road trips just for the fun of driving. The RSX is tempting me to do the same.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    I tell you, rsx_va, you ain't alone. I am 60 years old and have had our 2003 RSX for two years and am still as enthusiastic as you are. The car has a very personal feel, just like the 1968 TR250 that I used to have. The interior is designed very well. Heck, I love everything about it.

Plus, it is a babe magnet. My wife of 34 years loves to ride in it.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Man, when I first read that, I thought you said you had a 34 year old wife. I was thinking, "well damn, I guess it is a babe magnet". Either way, glad to hear you and your wife like it. I love my RSX.
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    This review is for rsx_va. I have a 2002 Base manual, and replaced the OEM Michelin MXM4s with Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs at 20,000. I am now at 31,000 miles.

Overall, I have to give the Turanzas 2 thumbs up. The OEM Michelins had poor traction, excessive wheel hop in the rain, and squealed during hard cornering. The Turanzas are very grippy, and have outstanding wet (amazing in the rain) and dry traction, while remaining a 4 season tire with long life expectancy. Snow handling and road noise are about the same. The only downside is that I lost about 1 mpg with the Turanza's but I think it was well worth it (grippier tires=higher rolling resistance=lower mpg).
    Thanks for the review. I will add them to my list of tires to check out when I replace my Michelins.
    Thanks for the info. How would you rate the noise level of the Turanzas compared to the Michelins?
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    Honestly, road noise is about the same (sorry!). Maybe a tiny bit better but not by much. Where the Turanzas are much better is the traction (both wet and dry). Very grippy tires.

When I replace my speakers next year I am going to put sound-deadening material in the doors (Dynamat or eDead or something else similar). That's supposed to help alot with road noise.
    Yes it will help with road noise. If you really want to make it quiet, put it also under the carpet in the floor and in the headliner. I did that to my old blazer, and you would swear it was a Acura RL (at least it's quiet cabin that is).
  • jdm_rsx_tsjdm_rsx_ts Member Posts: 4
    yea so pretty much i just got my 02 RSX Type-S black, all stock. so i wanted to go jdm, without spending too much money. i just wanna get the emblems and the integra type r stickers and the type r spoiler. thats about all i wanna do to the body. now, i want to fix up the engine so its pretty good, again, without spending too much money. so... i've decided i want to get a greddy evo 2 exhaust [any other suggestions would be appreciated], muegen front upper strut[should i?], muegen back lower strut[should i?], [can't decide whether to get a injen short ram, or an aem v2 short ram],DC sports ceramic 4-2-1 header[any other suggestions], and thats about it. umMm if there's anything else that i could be puting in that won't cost too much that would benefit it, pleeeease tell me. soo yeah pretty much if anyone could give me some opinions and suggestions on what to do :) , that would be cool.
    I suggest you find a web site with a lot of RSX enthusiasts who can give you some very good advice.

I would give you the name of an excellent site but I don't think we are supposed to give the address of other sites in this DG.

As for my advice, I bet your 2002 RSX has been driven hard and will be needing some repairs soon. Save up some money for these repairs before spending money for a bunch of mods.
  • jdm_rsx_tsjdm_rsx_ts Member Posts: 4
    yeah umMm lol but like after i make the needed repairs, can i have some advice from anybody on the parts i already said.
    I have been in this DG for a couple years, and I doubt you will get answers to your questions.

I didn't modify our 2003 RSX, so I don't know anything.

On the other website, I read about people who have installed a CAI which allowed water into their engine causing hydrolock.
    So just to update, I went ahead and got the Bridgestone Turanzas put on my RSX. Got a decent price at the local Firestone dealer so I just went there rather than deal with the whole Tire Rack thing.

I got the H-rated tire, saving a few bucks now and probably later on since they should last longer. I don't drive above 130 mph (not often, anyway ;) ).

I can feel an immediate difference in the handling -- the initial "bite" seems a bit sloppier than the Michelins, like it takes the tire a few milliseconds to grab the road following a quick steering input, but once it grabs, it holds tight. The Michelin felt a bit more predictable to me, but then I've been driving Michelins forever, so that's what I'm used to.

The noise level is about the same, though quieter on certain pavement types than the Michelins, and possibly noisier on others.

I haven't seen rain or snow since I got the new tires. I'll be really interested to see how these handle snow -- Tire Rack scored them pretty highly for snow handling, but some of the owners' reviews felt differently. The Michelin MMX was rated very low for snow handling. We don't get a lot of snow here in central Virginia, so it shouldn't be a big deal, but I'd like to still be able to get to work if we get an inch or two.
  • dc10driverdc10driver Member Posts: 15
    Anyone looking to buy a new RSX beware. Check out the "Problems and Solutions" message board. I just bought an RSX base model 5AT (wife) w/leather. Sweet looking car, no doubt. Prior to the purchace,I had read on this site, about a popping noise coming from the struts on the RSX. I figured, it won't happen to me and by now, they fixed any kind of problem that was there. Wrong!! Soon after puting a few miles on the car, it started making some noise. I didn't want to believe it but I am experiencing the same problem experienced by those that came before. Acura doesn't want to acknowledge the problem at this time.....dealer said they know about the problem and will grease the strut housing to silence the problem. MDX silencer tubes, as mentioned in another post, will supposidly fix the problem but it's not an authorized Acura fix. Anyway, check out the other posts before you pay good money for what's suppose to be a quality made machine.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Just curious, there weren't any changes at all with the 06 model were there? Any reports of this on the 05 model?
    From what I understand, '05 has the problem also. While I was investigating the problem I discovered this site: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=331191. It looks like it's a problem the '05 as well. Acura needs to do something about it!!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Yes - looks like Acura does have a bit of an issue with that.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Other sites are ok unless they have a forum/chat.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Thanks for the post, good info. I'm interested in snow handling, too. How are they in the rain?
  • airtasairtas Member Posts: 8
    how does the rsx handle in winter with all season tires?
    Well, the RSX is a lightweight car with relatively wide tires. How do you think they are in the rain and snow?

Under those conditions, I drive mine vary carefully.
    I had my first chance to drive in the rain on the Turanzas yesterday. No problems at all, in fact, I hardly knew I was driving on wet roads. That's a good thing, IMO. We got several inches of rain yesterday and last night, so there was shallow standing water on the interstate. I just blasted right through, no hydroplaning that I could detect.
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I'm headed into my second winter with my RSX. The car is equipped with all-season Michelin Pilot MXM4s from the factory. Okay, I can make it across a snow-packed intersection faster than someone in a Mustang. That said, I had no real surprises so far. I briefly drove through 9" of Indiana snow with no problems (read: carefully). The ABS sounds really wierd when it kicks in, but it does the job quite nicely. Hydroplaning hasn't been a real issue, either. However, on acceleration it is very easy to induce wheelspin. Given the layout of the car (FWD), steering can get really unstable if you don't control the wheelspin--especially when the chassis is teamed up with a rev-happy engine! My advice: Although the tires are rated as all-season, I would recommend limiting your snow driving to 4" with the stock all-season tires. The tires are wide (55 series), your ground clearance is low, and the car is a real lightweight. It's not exactly the ideal combination for blizzard duty. If you MUST drive in snow upwards of 6" throughout the winter, buy snow tires. They're worth the investment. ;)
  • davidg3davidg3 Member Posts: 16
    Yes it will help with road noise. If you really want to make it quiet, put it also under the carpet in the floor and in the headliner.

"Headliner"? I am not sure where that is but if it deadens the excess noise, that wouldn't be so bad.

I do think the noise can be a plus. I have been in a very quiet Accord for the last 3 years and find myself feeling very disconnected from the driving experience. What I would like is a sound deadening system i can turn on and off, using noise cancellation.
  • fedxboxfedxbox Member Posts: 1
    MY RSX HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THAT NOISE IN THE SUSPENTION, THE DEALERSHIP DOESN'T HELP,THEY JUST LUBRICATE THE STRUT OR SOMETHING BUT THAT MAKES THE NOISE EVEN STRONGER,WE TRY TO FIX IT SEVERAL TIMES, THEY TOLD ME THAT THE NOISE IS NORMAL, CAN YOU BELIVE THAT @!#", I'M GOING TO PAID $ 24.000 TO DRIVE THE CAR WITH THAT ANNOYING NOISE,THE LAST TIME THEY TOLD ME THAT THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED BUT GUESS WHAT(STILL THERE). WITH MY WIFE WE STARTED TO DEAL WITH THE BETTER BUSSINES BOUROEU AND IF THEY DON'T HELP, WE ARE TAKING THIS TO COURT, WE ARE NOT STOPING UNTIL GET THE CAR FIXED OR REPLACED. I THINK THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD DO THE SAME, THINK ABOUT THIS,IF YOU CAN USE THE LEMON LAW IN YOUR STATE USE IT, IS HARD, TAKES TIME,BUT WORKS.
    WE SOLD OUR 2001 FORD FOCUS BECAUSE IT STARTED TO GIVE ME A TROUBLES BUT NOW I KIND OF MISS IT, AT LEAST IT DIDN'T HAVE NOISES LIKE THAT.WE ARE REALY DISAPOINTED WITH ACURA, WE DO LIKE THE CAR A LOT, BUT THE SERVICE REALY SUCKS, I DON'T THINK WE ARE EVER GOING TO TRUST ACURA AGAING :mad:
    AN ADVISE..GATHER SOME MONEY AND BUY A GERMAN CAR, AT LEAST THE SERVICE IS WAY BETTER......GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Typing with your caps on means you're yelling....don't yell at us, we didn't do anything.

Buy a German car? LOL Good luck with that....as much as I like them, there are way too many problems.
    What exactly does it sound like? When I pull into my driveway, I have to make a subtle "S" turn and during the left hand part of the "S" I hear a subtle knock similar to someone tapping my frame with a hammer. Is this the sound that everyone is talking about?
    The knocking noise is a known problem at my dealer also. Before buying my '06 RSX, I had read about the problem but figured it was fixed. The '05 and '06 have this problem coming from the struts. The dealer also wanted to grease the strut area with some type of Moly grease but after reading other owners posts and seeing that this didn't help, I decided not to do it. I called Acura and logged my complaint with my VIN #. They told me that they had no fix and there is no Service Bulletin to fix the problem. In fact, the woman who took my complaint, didn't have any information regarding this issue. I agree that when you spend over $20k for a car it should not need some grease to solve a problem within the first few weeks of ownership. Everyone with this problem has to call Acura and log their complaint. Like I stated in another post, I would definately not recommend buying a new RSX. A new car for this kind of money, is suppose to be enjoyable and not a headache!! If you goto clubrsx.com http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=278725 you'll see other drivers with the same problem. Installing MDX silencer tubes was mentioned on another post as a solution by an Acura dealer but until Acura comes out with a Service Bulletin I don't think your local dealer will cover the expense. Again, anyone having this problem has to call Acura and log a complaint!!
    but refer back to my previous post. Is the sound that I am describing the same as what you are hearing also? (a subtle knocking noise?)
    There is nothing subtle about the noise. When you turn the wheel at slow speeds it is a very obvious knock, clunk or pop. It is a known problem at the dealer and anyone that has the problem knows that there is something not right. The explanation from the dealer is that the strut is turning in the housing. Greasing the housing to fix this problem is unacceptable.
    There is nothing subtle about the noise. When you turn the wheel at slow speeds it is a very obvious knock, clunk or pop.

In terms of noise level, how loud is it? equivalent to you rapping a finger knuckle on a desk? hammer?
    c'mon, give me a decibel equivalent
    "Headliner"? I am not sure where that is but if it deadens the excess noise, that wouldn't be so bad.

By headliner, I just mean the ceiling. You take the material back from the ceiling and put dynamat under it. It makes the world of difference.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    "...so i wanted to go jdm..."

You should know that our RSX-S is equivalent to the Japanese Integra type-S. It's less hardcore, with more features, like the sunroof. I think you'd have to remove it to make a perfect type-R. It might have more sound deadening too, and tuning adjustments.

The only really important thing is that you get a limited-slip dif; then you'll be close enough to call it a type-R.

As for your ideas... upper and lower struts aren't all that effective unless you're really turning hard. Stabilizer bars (they ones that go under the car, from wheel to wheel) are much more effective if you're ready for more oversteer.

All the breathing stuff (short rams, exhaust) are ok, but they don't add much for what you pay. You'd get much more value out of suspension mods than engine mods.
  • vega95vega95 Member Posts: 2
    I have fallen for Acura RSX. I am considering buying an 02 or an 03 base model.

However, we are expecting a baby.

Does anyone here, use a RSX to transport the infant? How hard/difficult is it to put a child, especially a rear-facing child in there? How hard is it to install and take out a baby seat?

I came across competing reports on the web and would highly appreciate some comments here.

Thanks,
    -Abhi
    I'd say it's surviveable, but I think it'd be more difficult than even some other coupes out there. The front seats are pretty thick, as are the pillars... putting the child seat in there would be tough on your arms.

I predict frustration, I'm afraid.
  • vega95vega95 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Carlisimo.
    I was afraid that's what the answer would be.

I appreciate your input and my search for the perfect car goes on....
    Grow up, vega.

You are going to be a father, so you need a nice 4-door car like a Camry or an Accord to carry your child around.

When you are an old guy like me with your kids through college and out of the house, you can get a sports car again.
    Vega95,

I have two kids, an 18-month-old who's in a forward-facing carseat, and a 6-year-old who sits on a booster. The booster is easy, it just rests on the backseat, and the kid uses the regular seatbelt.

I've put our forward-facing carseat into my RSX a couple of times now, and it's no harder than any other 2-door car. Put it in from the passenger side -- tilt and slide the front passenger seat all the way forward, and you can pretty much stand on the floor in front of the rear seat while you position the baby seat. This is good because you can get a knee down on the baby seat to apply body weight so the belt is tensioned correctly.

A rear-facing seat shouldn't be any more difficult, except that your front passenger will need to slide forward more to make room for the baby seat.

Recommend you NOT consider the Type S -- the ride is a little jarring for small kids.
    So we got a couple inches of snow here in Richmond today, and I got to take the RSX out for a test drive with the new Bridgestone Turanzas. This was my first snowy drive in the RSX on any tire, so it's hard to compare, but overall the tires didn't do badly. The RSX being a lightweight car with wide tires made for some, um, entertaining lane changes, but the grip was acceptable. The conditions varied from just wet to 3" of slushy snow. I guess I'd probably rate the tire around a 6 for snow handling, and the car around a 4. Putting a skinnier or studded type of snow tire on might help, but this just ain't a snow car. But I think it'll get me through the winter.
    Putting a skinnier or studded type of snow tire on might help, but this just ain't a snow car. But I think it'll get me through the winter.

Correction: It WILL help get you through the winter.

Last winter I came home from work in my RSX during a snow storm and had to go back out so I used my wifes Subaru Impreza. The Subaru was wandering all over the place where as the RSX tracked beautifully. Mileage on the Impreza was around 10,000 so the tires were new.
    Also:
    One morning during a snow/ice storm 4 days before Christmas of last year I went to work around 5:30 am and drove down an icy twisty road. My wife drove down the same road a couple hours later and ended up sliding off of the road and into a telephone pole (she wasn't hurt).
    Sure, the roads "might" have been worse, but most likely with her leaving later and the sanding trucks out working, the roads were probably better than when I drove through (no ones on the roads at 5:30am)

Tires on the Impreza? All-season
    Tires on the RSX? Michelin Arctic Alpin
    Ease up on the corrections/commandments. I'll get through the winter on these tires. I survived 13 Chicago winters and 5 Virginia winters on Michelin MX5 Energy's. Studded/snow tires are not a necessity in central Virginia.
    Sorry about that. It's just that you said it MIGHT help and I am positive that it will definately help...and I posted a couple of real world experiences.

I used the OEMs for my first winter too and they worked great. Made it through an ice storm that first winter that had 4wd vehicles spun out all over the place (no kidding...I passed three in the span of one mile) my friends wife even rolled their Explorer.

The second winter, however, the tires were not so good and I opted for snows.
  • mrtommyboy2000mrtommyboy2000 Member Posts: 9
    Acura has a special interactive web site for the RSX that they have not officially launched but here it is for those interested http://www.acura.com/promo/rsx/experience/index.asp#

It's very…..weird
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    It sure is! That track diagram looks like something Aurora used to sell back in the '70s.
  • nursxnursx Member Posts: 3
    Question....I have a 2002 RSX Type-S, base tires (Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 89V). I need to replace one of the tires immediately but no stores around here have the standard tire in stock. Will it affect the performance of my car if I just replace the old tire with a similar Michelin Energy MXV4 tire?...it also has a V rating.
    How long have you had the other tires? If long, then no. If not long, then... I dunno. Check their treadwear ratings, if they're close then you might consider it.

I'd use the opportunity to get 4 new high-performance tires, but that's just me.
    Thanks, Carlisimo. Tread depth is at about 5/32. I've been thinking about getting 4 new tires for some time, but unfortunately I need to get the new tire asap.

Do you have any suggestions for the 4 new tires?
    I don't really know, but I can point you in the right direction. Basically, I'd find an online forum with more RSX members and ask them =p. But you'll have to tell them whether you want grip, or economy. If you drag race, autocross, or drive like a granny. If you're willing to give up dry weather performance in order to have better grip in the rain.

Falken is one of the tire brands I see named the most.. they seem to have a great tire for every application. Pirelli and Nitto are well regarded too.

www.tirerack.com is a usual resource and they have a good wizard.

Car and Driver has a test of 11 good (if pricy) tires online

Good luck. If you need tires like, tomorrow, you're at the mercy at the selection at the local tire shop, but there should be knowledgeable people there too.
    Cool...thanks again for all the info!
This discussion has been closed.