Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    So the "computer controlled suspension" and more luxurious interior is worth $10,000 more even though the engine is more or less the same in both. But 70 more Horsepower, 4 wheel disc brakes, extra gear in the tranny, AND more luxurious interior aren't. Boy some people are hard to please. The WRX's only advantage over the RSX is performance. It's interior is not up to par it can't be had with a roof and it does not have the Acura name plate which is still regarded "better" than Subaru. Not to mention the RSX is not a Turbo which has it's own set of maintenance/reliability issues when not meticulously cared for. It's all a trade off.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Sure you can "mod" an RSX to compete with a WRX, but you could also "mod" the WRX so that it would keep its performance advantage.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    According to edmunds, the ES300 is still essentially a Camry:

"Still powering the ES is the 3.0-liter VVT-i V6 engine, which produces 210 horsepower and 220 pound-feet of torque. This is the same V6 that motivates the prosaic Camry, but with a few minor tweaks to make 16 more ponies."
    But who cares, anyway. Unless I win the lottery, I would never spend $30K of my hard earned money on a car.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    I understand your point, fxashun. However, I'm not demanding that Acura put a stereo system that will win auto audio competitions in their stock RSXs. I just ask that the quality of their stereo (CD player, speakers, stereo's amps) be commensurate with the build of an Acura. I used to drive a '94 Altima before my current car ('99 Integra). The Altima had a *much* better bass response. I admit the high freq. audio is better w/ the Integra's dedicated tweeter speakers, but the bass blows, to put it bluntly. American cars also seem to have much better sounding stock stereos, too, such as the car rentals I get for business trips (usually Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles). From what some of the Town Hall posters write, the RSX has the same crappy bass that the Integra did. What a pity.
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    upgrade your speakers
    put in your own deck
    add a sub and an amp
    easy enough!
  • amelenamelen Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any pics. of the rsx with the body kits (all the spoilers).

Also if I buy the body kit from clubrsx does anyone know how hard it is to install?

What sucks though, is even if you get the base rsx, add auto, leather, and body kit, it comes out to like $25,000, and there are lots of cars in the $25k range that are better :(

My parents just got the Acura 3.2 TL for $26,000. And that has 260HP.. Compared to rsx 160...
    Wouldn't it be better just to get the 200hp RSX-S?

And even at that price, it's too high.

22.5-23k seems reasonable for an RSX type S.

Bidy kits- go to temple of vtec (www.vtec.net) and click on the rumours link (bottom left hand corner)- you'll see several links for the RSX with Mugen aftermarket pieces.
    The type s is good .. the problem is I can't drive manual, and my choice of transmision is the 5 speed sports shift (the exact one offered in the acura base..)..

Does anyone know if the body kit is worth it, and how the car looks with and without it? I noticed that without it, its very "high", having a very high clearance level (or just looks that way..)
    I too would get the base Acura RSX. Actually walked past 3 in a parking lot at the mall. As I've said before, these things look better in person than they do in the internet pictures.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    an Acura 3.2TL for $26K?...What year? 260 HP only comes on the S model ...come on, that's $2,630 BELOW invoice on the base S model. Here the base TL sells for $2K OVER invoice....That dealer won't stay in business very long selling at that price!...details please....I assume you must have hit the wrong key....-)
    godeacs.. My parents baught the 2001 Acura 3.2TL end of Feb. when the 2002 were comming in. (or about to come in), for $26,400. Not type S.. sorry.. Still.. Acura RSX S-Type with the body kit, and some misc. stuff like moon roof visor, comes out to $26,000, and i still think '01 Acura 3.2TL is a better value..

ranald... Their forum's weren't working when i was looking through.. they are now.. thanks..
  • nosferatu9nosferatu9 Member Posts: 1
    According to my local Honda dealer, the Prelude is history, it will be replaced with something called the SI. There was only one Prelude (a Type SH) on the lot when I went for a test drive priced at $26,000. (take it or leave it).
    I attempted to drive a 6 speed Celica GTS but could never find one in the dealerships I visited. According to one salesman I spoke to, the factory had taken back their allotment of 6 speed GTS
    because people were blowing the transmissions (ie: going directly from 6th to 3rd)
    The RSX does look like a Cavalier from certain angles, but that is only thing they have in common. The car feels very rigid and tight on the road, no squeaks or rattles, very little engine or wind noise gets into the cabin. The car feels as fast or faster then a Type SH
    A Type-S RSX with a rear deck spoiler, and mudguards (the only options I wanted) is going for $25,100 . The dealer is making approx 2000 dollars profit on this car, and there is waiting list of 2-3 months.
  • johnb31johnb31 Member Posts: 1
    It took me three days to get the best deal possible. I faxed 13 dealers the price I wanted to pay and waited for their calls. I ended up being a battle between two dealers. I will be ordering the RSX Type S with fog lamps, wing spoiler, gold emblem kit, Gold type-s emblem, gold exhaust finisher, and destination for $23,645. Many dealers did laugh at me, but I did get the last laugh.
    If you don't count the dealer add-on options, it seems like you paid full price. Those add-on options do have some value, but not the inflated prices that the dealers would have you believe. The dealer's cost for those parts is probably not more than the difference between invoice and retail price of the car. But I've only seen 3 or 4 RSX Type S cars at a local dealer, so maybe they are still in short supply.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    johnb31 didn't do too badly at that price--it's way more than I'd be willing to pay, but if he's happy...
  • vivicarvivicar Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I like to purchase RSX Type-S, but it seems there's no discount what so ever. The price is $23,650 solid. I wonder how johnb31 got his deal?
    I would really appreciate the information. Thanks!
  • taoztaoz Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 02 RSX Type-S just with standard equipment. What is the decent price?
    Thanks
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to check out Edmunds.com's New Vehicle Pricing Calculator. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

Before the RSX was officially sold to the public (I believe on July 2, 2001), Acura had a teaser preview on its site. They slowly revealed different parts of the car, such as exterior and interior pics, engine specs, transmission, Type S trim, etc. One thing they had was a CAD drawing of the RSX - in essence, what the prototype was supposed to look like. Does anyone remember seeing this? What happened to that ultra-aggressive looking vehicle?

Between the modeled/projected vehicle and the one that roams the roads today, someone shot down a creative designer's plan. I would have to agree that the RSX looks like a Cavalier or Civic from a side profile. (From the front or rear, it has distinctive styling.) Acura had a chance to make a statement to the Eclipses and Celicas of the world. At least the RSX-S *drives* better, according to reviews (still haven't test driven it yet). But it certainly doesn't *look* better.
    Nice sheetmetal with complex forms costs much more to manufacture. After seeing the slab-sided RSX, you've got to ask yourself where the styling team went for vacation.

And, having driven a Type-S, I can confirm that the new car drives more like the current Civic than the Integra did.
    The same thing happened with the current TL. Teaser pics & artist's renditions showed an aggressive vehicle- edges of the headlights were sharp, windshield was raked backwards at a low angle, big rimmed wheels, and body creases that emphasized the subdued nature of the car.

The actual model was almost the same looking car- except the edges were softened, the windshield's angle was increased, smaller wheels were used and the body creases were hardly noticeable unless you really looked.
  • 4tw33ty4tw33ty Member Posts: 2
    As a Canadian living in California, just for kicks, I logged on an Acura dealership website in my hometown (Toronto). Low and behold, the price is cheaper and the car comes with heated front seats and heated mirrors! Not sure if daytime running lights are standard in the US car but they are on the Canadian car.

Cheaper?... www.downtownacura.com

$31,000 CAD MSRP
    Exchange: You can get $1.50 CAD for each $1.00 US at all of the Canadian banks.
    => $31,000 CAD / 1.5 = $20,667 US for MSRP

Thought I would share this piece of data. I am surprised that Honda would do this in light of the fact that cars manufactured for Canadian and US markets are basically identical due to government guidelines.. emissions, safety, etc.

I wonder if readers in the border towns like Buffalo, Detroit, and Seattle are better off to cross the border and buy a car... They too would need the heated seats unlike people in AZ and FL.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    One thing they had was a CAD drawing of the RSX - in essence, what the prototype was supposed to look like. Does anyone remember seeing this? What happened to that ultra-aggressive looking vehicle?

Acura/Honda teaser shots are normally based on actual models, and I don't remember seeing one for the RSX. The first time Acura revealed the official picture of RSX was the launch of the RSX prototype. You may have seen a rough sketch of the RSX upon which the styling is based. Those sketches are usually impractical, but exist only to suggest what the production version will be based upon.

I would have to agree that the RSX looks like a Cavalier or Civic from a side profile.

Really? Let us see...

Naah.

Acura had a chance to make a statement to the Eclipses and Celicas of the world

IMO, Acura did. The Eclipse already looks outdated to me. Celica doesn't appeal to me either. I may have appreciated its styling a lot more when I was 16-17. The RSX styling seems to strike a balance between what young buyers' demand (not sure what age group Acura intended with the RSX, but looks like it is 25-35) and mature looks.

• sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    There is always going to be a difference between the Canadian and the US prices. Even if the prices are the same today, they will likely change in the future due to the fluctuation of the currencies. (Remember exchange rates fluctuate every day, but they do not change the car prices every day in order to adjust to the yen, for example.)

So right now the Canadian prices for most cars are quite lower.

I was toying with the idea of buying a car from Canada. Someone who bought a car in Canada and imported it here in the US told me there is some paperwork and a small duty involved in importing the car.

There are a few other issues that I could think of:

Warranty: Some car manufacturer will honor the warranty in the US, others won't. As far as I know Nissan/Infinity will honor it, Honda/Acura won't.

Financing: If you don't have the cash to buy the car outright you need a loan, and many US institutions will not give you a loan for a Canadian purchase. For instance e-loan will not do that. I've heard that some banks will do it, but you have less of a choice, and possibly, worse rates.

Speedometer/Odometer: Is in kilometers, and while this is legal in the US (as the speedometer also shows MPH) this may be annoying for some people. I've heard it is not very easy to correct that - may cost in the 100's.

That's just about what I know. I've never actually imported a car though.
    I'd find it hard to imagine that the warranty coverage wouldn't extend to the US since it does the other way around. You may also find that the sales tax in Canada is higher than the US, but may not be applicable if you plan to export it and pay US duty and provide evidence to back that up. The odometer would be a problem. That would have to be changed because a car with what looks like 160,000 miles would acyually have 100,000 miles on it (1.6KM = 1Mile). And then there's the trade-in. You would have the opposite problem trading in a US car at a Canadian dealer. So, the end result is, it probably isn't worth the savings. Here's a better idea: Emigrate to Canada.
    Daytime running lights are required on all Canadian models. The US hasn't made this proven safety requirement mandatory. And the US says it has the best standards in car safety?
    I can understand if you're driving and you run into fog and forget to turn your beams on, or if you go through a tunnel.

But other than that, I personally don't see any use for daytime running lights, besides using them when I'm driving along in a funeral procession.
  • fb77fb77 Member Posts: 1
    Being a transplanted Canadian, I've seen many cars with and many cars without daytime running lights. Trust me, when you're on a two-lane highway, it's much easier to tell from a distance if a car is coming or going from you with its headlights on. Why do you think there's so many accident reduction projects that ask you to turn your headlights on for safety? Even in broad daylight, a pair of headlights coming at you is noticeable...
  • 4tw33ty4tw33ty Member Posts: 2
    1) When I moved to California from Toronto, I imported my 3-month old '98 Accord v6. Honda dealers in the Bay Area welcomed my car for any warranty service needed. They said that they would do the paper work needed to get warranty coverage. From my experience, Honda does honor my car's warranty in the US. However, I have never had to test this situation because I have not had any problems with car for past 3 years that I have been in California. Even though I bought it in Canada, it was built in Marysville, OH, for the CAD market. Honda stands behind their quality workmanship. As for cash outlay involved in the importing process, I paid the DMV 2% to register my car and get CA license plates (the car met emissions standards so there were no penalties). I had already paid for the Canadian sales taxes because I did not plan on moving to the US at the time I purchased the car.

2) Daytime running lights: The Scandinavians have done extensive research showing that running your lights during the day helps to prevent accidents. They were the first to implement DRL in the 80's. It has to do with eyes' ability to pick up a signal... I am sure we could ask some of the readers who are airplane pilots and ship captains for their expert opinions on this subject since they rely heavily on such instrumentation. I also ride a motorcycle... ever wonder why all motorcycles in the US and Canada turn on their lights as soon as you turn the engine on?

3) Currency always fluctuate. I will offer you a challenge to chart the CAD vs USD exchange rates for the past 5 years. You could probably get such a graph online... I can guarantee you that the median and 95th percentile confidence interval will fall in the $1.50 range for the past 5 years. I can only assume that Honda did this research when they priced these cars for markets that are identical in demographics with the exception of Metric vs Imperial measurements systems. (which, I must say, I do not have any problems recognizing that when my speedomoter is running at 110KM per hour, it means I am at ~ 65Mph speed limit. But then again, I was taught to drive as fast as the traffic flow and pay less attention to the speedomoter unless I am in a school zone.)
    DRL's worked in the U.S. is because all cars don't have their lights on. When all cars have their lights on the effect is lessened. But this argument is just as moot as the speed limit one. There' always going to be a "study" that can justify both ends. I'm dropping this one.
    It is a law in NJ that when it rains, if your wipers are on, your lights must also be one, and likewise. But of course, that's a given.

And yup, if everyone turns his lights on when driving during the day, there is no effect- unless you're the one driving without the lights.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Warranty - Go to:

http://english.acuracanada.ca/youandyourcar/warranty_coverage.asp

This is a quote from there:

"The warranty information you'll find in this section covers all new Acura automobiles manufactured by Honda Motor Company Ltd., sold by authorized Acura automobile dealers within Canada, and normally operated and maintained within Canada."

I've heard from someone who imported an Acura from Canada that there were issues with the warranty. On the other hand, a friend of mine imported a Nissan Pathfinder and had no problems whatsoever with the warranty repairs in the US.

I personally, was interested in importing a BWM, and BWM Canada told me that the car will not be covered in the US, I won't be able to get the free scheduled maintenance in the US, and even though they can not prevent me from buying a car in Canada with the intention of importing it into US, they very much discourage such practices.

I think legally there is a world wide limited warranty coverage on any new car, but you won't get the 3 or 4 year coverage in most cases.

Currencies: Going back 5 years the rate was consistently 1.35 for a Canadian Dollar. It didn't break into 1.40 until Nov 97. Check out http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/xr/

So going back five years the Canadian and US prices were more in line.

What really matters when it comes to selling a car manufactured in Japan is the yen. If you check the yen/$ and yen/CAN $ rates you will see that 7-8 years ago the Japanese were making approximately the same money on a car sold in the US and one sold in Canada. From then on they started making slightly more on the US market (see yen/US$ time series), and a little less on the Canadian market (see yen CAN $ series).

My point was that they will not change their pricing structure frequently here in the US or in Canada for that matter, simply because currencies fluctuate. Plus, they possibly buy futures contracts on the $ and CAN $, and end up even anyway.

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...and did not have problems with warranty work. It depends on the dealer that does the service, although, both Acura dealers in my area honored the Canadian warranty.

And I did not pay duty, but I did not drive across the border. A moving company (United Van Lines), transported the car along with my belongings. I did, however, need an EPA document from American Honda (not Honda Canada) that the car meets/exceeds US EPA standards.

The only thing that I was not able to get back was the Canadian sales tax, because, technically, I was a Canadian resident living in the U.S. so sales tax applies to me.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...when I imported it with 3 km on the odometer. And I had to pay the 6% sales tax for FL
  • alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
    I drive a 2000 Celica GT and i think it is very "cool" looking. but it certainly isnt balanced,classy or beautiful. the RSX is all these things.

i saw that sketch you are talking about in MT or C&D a while back. i think the production RSX looks a lot like that sketch.
    It doesn't matter what anybody "thinks" should work, but what actually "does" work. And the evidence points to the benefits of DRLs, yes even when everybody else has their DRLs on too. This is not rocket science. Even in bright sunlight, there are shadows that could make a car less visible. And it puts to an end those drivers who just can't seem to turn on their headlights in low visibility. You think its up to the individual to decide when to turn on their headlights? Not when someone else's life may be at risk because they can't see the other car. DRLs cost pennies per car and save lives, who could argue with that?
    What evidence?
    One reason to drive with your bright lights on though is that they diminish the range of Lidar. I do all my daytime highway driving with my brights on.
  • kam66kam66 Member Posts: 31
    I would be very interested in learning about the procedure to import a Canadian version RSX into the US. I'd originally attempted to have a local US Acura dealer procure one as I was just trying to get the standard cold weather package (i.e. heated seats and mirrors) that isn't offered in the US. Unfortuneatly they were told by their regional Acura representative that it was "not possible" to divert one from Canada to the US.

I then contacted a Calgary dealer who was initially interested in selling me one. During my initial conversation with him he mentioned that he was restricted from selling MDX to the US, but he didn't know of any restrictions on RSXs. Latter he seemed to think better of it and mentioned the possibility of losing his Acura franchise if the home office found out.

No one I talked to seemed to be able to tell me if the 3-year Canadian warranty would be in effect in the US. Additionally, while the EPA requirements seem to be easily satisfied, does anyone know how the tax situation would be handled and what kind of duty payment would be required to bring an RSX into the States?

I've read with interest the above posts regarding this topic but most seemed to deal with Canadian citizens that brought their private vehicles with them when they moved to the lower 48. Does anyone have experience bringing a new, never registered Canadian version vehicle into the US?

Thanks in advance
    I still don't see how DRL's are considered safety items, nor have I read any published reports/studies to verify this.

You have to be daydreaming while driving to not see a car in broad daylight.
    The problem is, there are drivers that ARE daydreaming. The more visible you are to them the better. If DRLs added a significant cost to each vehicle (like ABS does), then the cost/benefit may not be in the favour of safety. But the cost is just about zero.
    Just turn on your headlights. An auto shutoff would accomplish the same thing as drl's and add the option to have them if you wish.
  • 2k2rsx2k2rsx Member Posts: 4
    The majority of accidents are caused by daydreamers. DRL's would help but it wouldn't stop the knuckleheads of the world from playing with the radio, reading, shaving, putting on make-up..... ANYTIME that you take your eyes off the road and are no longer being a defensive driver, you are in danger of an accident.
    I don't mean to sound paranoid....and I goof off alot also, but many people take driving for granted and "zone out" while driving. DRL's would allow "zoning" drivers to distinguish between "just a car" and "hey that's a real live two ton vehicle coming at me"
    I really don't think that's going to help people in a "zone".
    You can drive around in a yellow Pontiac Aztek with lights on during the day, and any daydreamer will still run straight into you.
    mdriver in #499 implied a cost-benefit analysis of DRLs. DRL's light is generally redundant with the sunlight. However, I know sections of roads where if the sun is right in front of you, even w/ sunglasses on and the reflector down, it's very hard to see cars in front of you. Normally, this doesn't matter (b/c one would just stay in your lane). But there's this one area where I live where I have to make a left turn. During certain times of the day when the sun is right in front of me, cars w/o headlights on are harder to see than those that have them on.

So in this one particular situation, I think there is a benefit for having headlights on during the day. This is just one example, and I admit, it isn't encountered very often. In rainy/snowy days, I think it's a no-brainer to have the lights on. I agree w/ NJ's law "wipers on, headlights on". Too bad very few abide by it.

One added cost of DRLs, in addition for the manufacturer, is that since headlights are on whenever the car is being driven, you'll be going through light bulbs more frequently. I don't know what the average life is of a headlight bulb, but for those who drive all day, it might make a difference. Anyway, this is my quick and dirty CBA.
  • freespecfreespec Member Posts: 25
    1). Too expensive given a 4 cylinders and non of more luxury items(power seats, safty controls).

2). The style is too much like civic.

3). Low torgue(vs high hp) means once you load it up with some junks or fat chicks, it won't speed off as fast as you think

4). Yes it will last long but just like another old integra.
    Buy a truck if you're dating fat chicks! :P
This discussion has been closed.