Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    oprystaroprystar Member Posts: 4
    I am shopping a new wrangler and I am confused about the rated towing capacity. I am interested in the 2001 Wrangler Sport (4.0L 6 cyl). It is rated at 190 HP @ 4600 rpm, and 235 ft-lbs of torque @ 3200 rpm. The rated maximum towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. Is it just me or does this seem weak? I have a 2800 lbs load (boat, trailer, equipment, full tank of gas), that I tow to the lake several times a week, which is a 10 mile trip one way. My boat trailer has trailer brakes. Does anyone have any experience towing with the new wrangler? I talk to the salesperson, who seemed to tell me what I wanted to hear. I prefer to ask owners who have been there and who know. Thanks for any advice/help.
  • Options
    2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    That would be quite a hefty load for a TJ. I think one important thing to know would be the tongue weight of your boat trailer. I don't think power would be an issue, but stopping would. The electric brakes would help alot. I would just be scared that you would have too much weight on the tongue and with the short wheel base, you may have problems steering or popping a wheelie when you take off!
  • Options
    nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    If I go into the mountains with a trailer (within the 2000 lb limit)... is 10W-30 heavy enough oil?
    the manual "prefers" 10W-30, but if your pulling hills and/or are in 4WD a lot wouldn't a heavier oil be in order?
  • Options
    sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    This is one of the most highly debated subjects for any automotive buff. Any motor oil will get contaminated by fuel, soot, acids, chemicals and metal particles in any internal combustion engine. What this means is change your oil frequently regardless of the type of oil you are running. Very rarely does oil break down but oil does get contaminated and that is the reason we change the oil in our engines.
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Just got a set of BFG's AT KO's 31x10.5. Really fills in the wheel wells and looks much better than the 30s. I know, before someone says "well then why did you buy the 30" wheel group if your gonna change tires" Well I happen to like the Canyon Wheels, thats why. Thats about as big as im gonna go till the warranty runs out 3 years from now. The two closest dealers told me they wont accept warranty work on a vehicle with a modified suspension. Even a 2 inch spacer lift! I will get some pics onto my site asap. Since I only had 400 miles on my old tires they gave me 60 bucks apiece for them. I paid $120 each and got the whole set of 5 for for $300. Its a very close fit for the spare, but it fit anyway.
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, when I was shopping for a Jeep, I was really surprised by the percentage of automatics in dealers' inventories. It was at least 50%, and possibly more.

I like the stick, but many people like the automatic. If I had to drive in heavy traffic all the time, I might have gone with the auto too.

Gal, if you can get the Jeep you want for $200 under invoice, then I say JUMP ALL OVER IT!

I don't think you will ever do better than that.

It works out better for you to go with the financing incentive rather than the cash, huh? A lot of times it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. If the payment is about the same either way, I would take the cash backk option, cause then you would just have that much more equity in the new Jeep to start with.

Keep us posted, and good luck.

If you have never owned a Wrangler, you are going to be VERY pleasantly surprised. They are more fun than you can imagine.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    The reason for the 2000lbs towing capacity is not because of pulling power but because of the short wheelbase. Look at the Cheerokee's they have the same engine as the Wranglers and have over 4,000lbs pulling capacity. The Wrangler is lower because the wheelbase is shorter, this would cause the jeep to jacknife because the weight on the rear would make the rear wheel want to push to the side of the front ones during a curve. So the wrangler will pull you boat easily with no problems to the engine or drivetrain, but you will have to be careful on turns especially on wet roads. hope this helps,
    Happy Jeepin'
  • Options
    kwilson4kwilson4 Member Posts: 21
    I picked up my Wrangler with the 5 speed, but you are right, the auto is getting more and more popular. The stick shift used to be the "tough guy" thing to do, but many offroaders are getting smarter and realizing that it's easier to navigate off road (especially places like the Rubicon trail in CA) with an auto. I bought the stick because I think they're fun to drive.
  • Options
    saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for the post. I would think the finance deals would have to be worth a lot more than $500 over the course of 3-5 years. The APR's are incredibly low right now. Sure wish I could get the cash too!

No, I haven't owned a Wrangler before. My oldest son has a black 1995 with all kinds of "stuff" on it. It's got a lift and huge wheels. He loves it!

I hope I am pleasantly surprised. I have test driven a couple for several hours. When the Sahara comes in, I'm going to test drive it for an extended period with my two little boys (9 and 11). They're almost as excited as I am. Although, they're getting real sick of listening to me talk about cars. I went back and forth about which SUV to get. I had been looking at much bigger, luxury type SUV's. But I've finally settled on the Wrangler. I'm only getting the soft top. I don't think I'd ever use the hard top.

When are you getting yourself a soft top? I read all the old posts over the weekend. Stayed up much too late both nights reading! My kids think I'm nuts! I feel like I know you and Saharanut! BTW, doesn't he need to change his name now that he wants a Sport? I guess Sportnut doesn't sound as good!

Bye for now!
  • Options
    My son keeps telling me I'd get used to the 5-speed. I don't mind driving a stick, and I think I do a pretty good job at it. BUT, there's a lot of stop and go traffic in my area, and I'm afraid it would be too much of a hassle. It might take the fun out of driving a Jeep for me.

Also, my kids looked like they were turning a little green in the back seat when I test drove a Sport over the weekend. I think the auto might be a little smoother for my back-seat passengers! Maybe I would get used to it. I don't know. I keep going back and forth! If it weren't a 3-speed automatic I don't think I'd be so concerned. I just hope it's OK on the freeway. The auto that I tested seemed fine when I was on the surface streets, but I didn't take it up to very high speeds. I'll be sure to go on the freeway when I test the Sahara later.

Thanks for your reply!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/jeepchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    jrjeepjrjeep Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone!

Today I test drove a Wrangler! Ye I already have one in D-1 status at the plant and today is the first time I drove one... ever. I have to say that it IS a FUN vehicle to drive!! I drove a 4 cyl. because that's all they had on the lot here in Germany. It seemed to have adequate power. Lots of torque. Has anyone driven the 2.5 and the 4.0?? Is there a big difference? I ordered the 6 cyl. I hope it's not too much power. hehehe :) Can't wait till my new sport gets here so I can take it to Spain. Anyway, keep posting I am living though all of you lucky jeep owners!!!

P.S. Does anyone remember me?
  • Options
    yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    I would say if you're going to get the SE, then definitely get the stick. If it's a Sport or Sahara, then you can go for the stick or the auto. I initially got the stick because (1) I figured it was a good opportunity to learn and (2) it seemed un-manly to get a Wrangler with an automatic. In addition, I test drove an SE with automatic and it seemed pretty sluggish. I'm very happy with the SE and manual even though I drive in a lot of city traffic. More power would be nice, but it was a luxury I just couldn't afford. If I have more money next time, I'd get the Sport (with dual tops!) but for now I love what I have.

yellowman

p.s. - I went up LaCienega Blvd. to Sunset Blvd. yesterday - for those not familiar with L.A., it's just about the steepest hill in the city. Didn't even use the parking brake method! I think I'm now officially a full-fledged stick shift driver.
  • Options
    saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    I guess right now i'm NoWranglerNut...
    Anyway...I started looking at Sahara's 1st...they cam with all the options I wanted..But that interior.Noway..if that is their top of the line wrangler..interior color should be an option.
    Only color that goes with it is the Desert Sand.
    which they dont make anymore.
    then the 60th anniversaries came out..WOW!!
    perfect..limited edition..with all my goodies.
    then the Extreme Edition 60th..has the tubular bumbers.
    but..it doesnt look likei'm gonna make it..
    so i've decided on the red sport.
    My dream car is a red corvette..so that will be 50% of my dream.
    i'm with you on the financing..thats too low not to take advantage of..
    besides spend 24,000 only get a $500 rebate...
    now if was 1500 or 2000 thats a rebate.
    take care..keep posting..
    Visit us in chat tonight

Snut (NoWranglerNut)
    Terry
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    "Are autos becoming more popular with Jeep owners? The saleperson says they are. According to him, it's getting close to 50/50. That can't be right, can it? I have noticed a lot of automatics on dealer lots, though. I guess they wouldn't order them if they don't sell."

Some would argue that since the "girlification" of Jeeps (TJ is marketed towards 20-30 something females with softer suspension and plusher interior), a lot more automatics are sold.

Not me.

;-)
  • Options
    Oh yeah, of COURSE the salesman would tell you that. They ALWAYS tell you what you want to hear.

I agree that a 4 speed auto would make the decision easier. Just follow your instinct and do what is best for YOU!
  • Options
    madbushmanmadbushman Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am really interested in buying a used Jeep Wrangler. I have had a bad experience buying a used car before and dot want to repeat that experience!! (D'uhh!) Could someone let me know what to watch out for when hunting for a used Wrangler.. ! My driving is going to be in the city and so I dot need any of the fancy accessories for off-goading. Also do the hard-top versions have any specific problems?
    Finally if you are selling your Wrangler for under $8000 and are in the Houston area drop me an mail.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sri.
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    sasquatch, I've said it before but it bears repeating, the TJ is not a "girlified" Jeep. My TJ is far better off-road than my YJ ever was, and has an HVAC system that actually works. The demographics of Wrangler buyers are still overwhelmingly male (roughly 75%), with a mean age of about 30. It's certainly not the sort of sorority-girl haven you would find in, say, a Honda Civic. You're not still driving one of those, are you, sasquatch?

An automatic might be tolerable in a Wrangler with the 4.0L engine if it weren't a godawful 3-speed. Anyone considering one should remember that the resulting high RPMS will reduce the life of your engine.

yellowman, glad to see you are getting the hang of the stick. It only took me a few weeks to get the hang of it too. I may be driving around L.A. soon enough myself, I've got a job interview down there next week.
  • Options
    I guess you missed the :-). For the humor impaired, that means sarcasm, or fun or winkie, or something along those lines. Lighten up, I wouldn't be looking in here if I wasn't interested in them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Those are the kind of comments I was hoping to get. You and others have said that the life of the engine would be reduced because of how hard it has to work at the higher RPMS. Just how reduced are we talking about? Is it significant? Do you know the number of miles one can expect to get out of a manual vs. an automatic, under normal city driving?

Personally, I plan to use the Wrangler for tooling around town, mostly surface streets. I don't plan to do a lot of freeway driving or take extended trips in it. This will be a second car for me. I'm guessing I'll be driving the Wrangler most of the time, though.

I don't put a lot of miles on my cars. I put less than 10,000 miles a year on a car. What a life! Thanks again for your comments.
  • Options
    Ah, the age old question. As many of you know I decided on the automatic for my new jeep. Although its only got 600 miles on it now, I am really glad I got it. After comparing RPMs with Tsjay, We have figured that my RPMs with the Auto are about the same as his stick runs in 4th Gear at the same speed. My 31 inch tires may help reduce RPMs on the highway a bit too. I was a more than a little nervous about the antiquated 3 speed auto myself, but its really not bad at all. Im a little surpised that some people would stick there "BIGFOOT" in their mouth and say that an auto is girlified. If you take the time to read some of the other message boards which have a lot of serious off-roaders, most claim the auto is better for off roading. Rock Crawling for example is one area where an auto cant be beat. Auto vs. Manual is just one area where there will never be a definitive answer. Its just a matter of preference. Its true the auto will run at a little higher RPM on the highway, I just dont find it to be that big of a deal. I run about 2000 RPMs at 55 mph. If you do any stop and go driving, you will be real grateful, real quick for an auto.
  • Options
    Hey, Lady! How's it going?

If you are going to be driving mostly in town, then the automatic vs. five speed is less of a factor. In town, you would hardly ever get into fifth gear anyway. You don't use fifth gear until you get up to about 45 MPH, and in most city driving, you don't get up to that speed very often.

Have you considered an SE? It sounds to me like for your purposes, the four cylinder would be adequate, and you would save about $2500 to $3000.

Just a thought.

tsjay

• Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    saharagirl - welcome to the board. Sounds like you're close, but still choosing those last few decision points. We bought ours 2 months ago at Marietta Jeep and priced out at invoice. I'd be glad to give you the name of our salesman (very nice, knowledgable, and friendly. My email is in my profile.

kwilsn4 - congrats on the new Jeep. Keep posting and join the chat on Thursdays if you have a chance.

synthetic oil - I've seen many people mention that synthetic doesn't break down, but since most concerned with engine life change oil at 3k anyway, it's not worth the extra cost since both will have contaminated equally. One thing I'd like to throw out is that I have experienced better milage with Mobil1 synthetic than with Castrol GTX of the same spec. Before switching to synthetic, I was getting 17.75MPG pretty consistently on my weekly commute. With Synthetic and a K&N filter, I'm up to 19.5+ with the exact same drive and conditions. Since I did both at the same time, I can't say which accounted for which portion. Over a 3000 mile cycle, this works out to about 15 gallons of gas less. At $1.50/gal, this saves me almost $23 every 3000 miles. This more than pays for the synthetic oil plus I'm confident it's better for my engine. Having torn down high mileage engines, I can say that internal parts on a synthetic fed motor look much better than a similar engine fed on "normal" motor oil. Even if there were no cost savings, it works out to $500 more for every 100,000 miles. This is cheap insurance to someone like me that like to keep cars for over 100k miles. YMMV...

I've got just over 2k on the Jeep now and will change the oil next weekend, and then again at 5k, switching to Mobil1 for the rest of its life.

-twylie
  • Options
    Good to hear from you again, and I'm glad you are enjoying the message board.

Why not post a bio in Meet the Members and tell us about yourself and all the details about the Jeep?

Stay in touch!

tsjay

• Options
    I feel much better now about getting an automatic. Thanks for the feedback. It helped a lot!

Tsjay, I never considered the SE, but I did look at the Sport for a while. Back in November I was thinking about the Solar yellow! I test drove it for a day, but I felt too uncomfortable with the color. I stuck out like a sore thumb. I really like the yellow color. It sure is popular in a lot of cars these days. I just didn't like me in the yellow! I'm afraid it's a teeny bit too young for me. ;-) I bought a yellow fleece jacket instead!

I really like the look of the white Sahara with the tan top. I think the tan padding on the roll bars looks nice when the top is down too. I like the white fender flares instead of black. I think the white and tan looks sporty, but very classy. I agree with Saharnut about the green seats, though. I am willing to overlook that, though, even with the extra cost. As you can tell, I'm a lot more confident about the trim level and color combo than I was about the transmission!

Thanks again guys!
  • Options
    You're very welcome.

Why didn't you join us in the chat tonight? I thought you would be there.

Have you been to Thelma's web page? I get into a little about my Jeep shopping there, and maybe some of the info would be interesting to you.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

You have an absolute killer deal that blows mine out of the water! If you can get that $200 UNDER invoice deal with the incentive financing to boot, then you'd better take advantage of it! I would sign the dotted line in a heartbeat, before they change their mind!

I would ask them to SHOW me the invoice in order to be sure that you are really paying the $200 under invoice that they say you are. That's a common practice now a days, so don't be bashful about it.

A word of caution: be sure they aren't taking advantage of you on your trade-in, if you are going to be trading in a vehicle on the Jeep. I can't remember if you said anything about a trade-in or not.

tsjay

P.S.

If you're a dog lover, check out my best buddy's page (my granddog, Ross)

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/raj.html

• Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    madman - sorry I haven't posted sooner. I'd be glad to host your checklist page at my site:

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep.htm

If you already have it somewhere else, let me know where so I can check it out. If you want me to put it up for you, just email it to treyatewyliedotcom and I'll get it posted by Monday (I'll be away from my PC until then).

saharagirl - couldn't agree more with you choice of colors. We have a white Sport with Camel/Dark Tan. If you haven't seen it yet, check out:

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/pics.htm

-twylie

• Options
    I've seen your pictures! Remember, I really did read all of the posts over the weekend. I mean alllll of them! Cute dog and Jeep!

I won't have a trade-in on my deal. I'm getting the Jeep as a second vehicle. I've never had two cars before! I told you--what a life!

Don't worry about me, I'll be sure to see the invoice. I know the prices backward and forward. I'll tell you, I'm usually the one telling the salesperson how much an option is and if it comes standard on a particular model. I can always tell when it's a new salesperson! I've spent a lot of time on Edmunds and car manufacturer web sites. I've been shopping for a new SUV for longer than I care to admit. It's been quite a journey. And here I am waiting for a Sahara! Aint life grand? I just can't wait. I sure hope he holds it for me! The sales manager put my name into the computer with a hold on the white Sahara. I'm getting paranoid now! I better go to bed! Take care!!
  • Options
    oprystaroprystar Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    The 2001 Wrangler Sport (4.0L 6 cyl) is rated at 190 HP @ 4600 rpm, and 235 ft-lbs of torque @ 3200 rpm. The rated maximum towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. I maintain a 10% weight ratio on the tongue of my trailer. What I mean is I have a load of about 2800 lbs (boat, trailer, equipment, full tank of gas). The weight is distributed so that about 280 lbs of weight is on the tongue. I check this periodically with a bathroom scale. So I have a 2800 lbs load with a tongue weight of 280 lbs. Is this considered a heavy load? About the short wheel base issue, would it be too dangerous to even consider, even with trailer brakes,...or would it just be a walk in the park?
    I only travel about 10 miles one way, but I want them to me a safe 10 miles. Thanks....
  • Options
    vicrvicr Member Posts: 3
    Looking to get a Wrangler for a 2nd vehicle/ weekend toy and we are seriously thinking about just getting a base SE. But, I have two questions.

1. How tough would it be to add a hard top/ metal doors later? I see them on ebay pretty frequently and figured I would just add it on my own later rather than pay the $1500 as a factory option for the dual tops.

2. Has anyone added a radio/ speakers to a base model SE? Is any of the harness there?

Thanks in advance for the input. I suspect we would use it for light off-roading, driving in the occasional Northern Nevada snow, and just general goofing off so it would probably only see about 5000 to 7500 miles a year. Any other options I should consider?

Thanks,

-Vic R
  • Options
    jrjeepjrjeep Member Posts: 5
    My jeep is one step closer to Germany. I called the automated # (thanks twylie)! It is in "G" trim status. I'm pretty darn excited right now.:) now everyone say a prayer for the Toledo plant employees.
    Wow today is Friday too. I hope that they're not in a hurry to get home.

tonkadave- I have a pic of your jeep set as my computers wall paper. We have the same Steel blue color with black top. I like the color combo.

Thanks for all of the help
  • Options
    Congrats on the G status. Your going to love the steel blue color. Photos dont do it justice. I will have to get you some updated shots with my 31s on there. what a difference.
  • Options
    I don't know how good you want that sound system to be, but the addition of the factory subwoofer makes a tremendous difference.

If you are thinking of adding an aftermarket amp and sub, remember how precious little room you have to work with in a Jeep. The factory sub is mounted in the base of the full console and doesn't take up any of your cargo room. I think its an 8" sub, if I remember correctly.

You won't have world class sound, but it is a decent system.

You might as well leave the radio off if you just get the standard radio without the sub: there is absolutely NO bass at all without the sub!

tsjay

• Options
    I got it!

You can buy the soft top and soft doors, then sell your doors and hard top on ebay!!!

There you go!
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    If you ever think you are going to get a hard top, make sure you order it as an option. It is insanely expensive to get the hard top ($1600) and full doors ($1100) later. It makes much more sense to get the hard top now and order the soft top later from Mopar or Bestop.

Of course, if you don't think you will ever want the hard top, all this is unnecessary. The new soft tops are supposed to be considerably quieter than the old ones, and as a 2nd vehicle you may not care about having the hard top & doors.
  • Options
    kwilson4kwilson4 Member Posts: 21
    I had the console subwoofer installed in my Sport the week after I bought the Jeep as part of my negotiated deal. (The Sport I bought off the lot didn't already have it.) There's a HUGE difference in sound quality. I believe the technician said that he had to install a special harness for it. He also installed the CD tray in the console which avoids getting small items lost down by the speaker.

twylie, maybe I'll join the chat this Thursday.
  • Options
    caseydog2caseydog2 Member Posts: 3
    Can any of you fellow jeepers answer this question....because no two people at dealerships or chyrsler give me the same answer......

On a 2001 Jeep wrangler sport, is track loc included in the 30 inch wheel package
    when matched with a 5spd and 6cyl?

SOS!!!
  • Options
    In a word, "No."

It is an extra cost option, and you have to specifically ask for it to be included on your Jeep. If you are talking about a Jeep already on the dealer's lot, it may or may not have it, but if it does, it should say so on the window sticker.

Sounds like you need to go somewhere where they have someone who knows Jeeps.

I have a 2001 Sport that has the 30" Canyon wheel and tire package and the 5 speed transmission, and my Jeep DOES NOT have trac loc, although I wish I had ordered it. People say it is a very good option unless you are going to have something installed after market for a locking differential. I wish I had known that when I ordered my Jeep.

tsjay

• Options
    saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Is tsjay wise or what?>
    You know what they say...wisdom comes with age..
    just kidding tom...
    Alot of posting going on today...
    lets keep it going all weekend..

On my Jeep status..not looking good..
    looks like I will be the 1st with a 2002

take care

Snut
    Terry
  • Options
    That is about the shortest time I have ever been in a chat room..... next time.
  • Options
    caseydog2caseydog2 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks......how does an after market locking differential compare to the factory one? Do you have any idea of the cost?
  • Options
    I have done some calling around (including my mechanic) and have come to the conclusion that (for me) synthetic oil is the way I am going to go. At $5.00 a quart I had to do a little research/thinking on it.

Two of the big plus's are good cold start lubrication and good heat removal. I call standard oil (in Kentucky) and was told it can even significantly reduce the engine temp. Every one I talked too did say not to waste my time until I have at least 3000 mi on the engine…. Ok no problem.

Call me old fashion but I am going to do my first oil change at 500 mi (tomorrow). Then at 3000 mi I will go to synthetic oil. The one thing that seemed to be standing out was the quality of gasoline being used, in short how "clean it burns" (or contaminates the oil) has a direct bearing on how often the oil should be changed. So this is something I will also consider as part of my maintenance program.

If I am getting to deep into this for posting let me know (I do get carried away with this stuff at times).
  • Options
    Sorry, Pal, but I am a rookie Jeep owner and not an offroader, so I'll let someone else answer that question for you.

The serious offroaders like the after market lockers better than the factory TracLoc option.

I just wish I had it, because it is supposed to be fantastic for snow. (Not that we get much snow here in western Ky.)

tsjay

• Options
    Lord no! You are not getting too deep: that was a great post. Very informative!

It supports what I have observed from personal experience. I told you guys in here about that '94 Z28 having quieter cold starts with the Mobil 1, and your research has verified that this should be expected.

Thanks for sharing that, Ned.

tsjay

• Options
    spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    The Trackloc from factory is OK for road use and mild off road use, It does help with traction in both instances. Although there are many different aftermarket lockers out there that in my and others opinions are much better than factory. There are spools which act as full time lockers. can run 200 and up. There are limited slip which act alot like the factory one, but they usually require slipage to engage and sometimes by then your already stuck 300 for about the cheapest one of those. There are full lockers which the hardcore off roaders like, Detroits are among the most popular 350 and up. Then there are my personal favorite which are the mechanicaly driven lockers. They can be locked and act like a full locker or they can be open and act like an open differential... all at your choice and at the flick of a switch.
    Hope this Helps and Happy Jeepin'
  • Options
    tntbeautytntbeauty Member Posts: 22
    Not that I can take any credit for the decision, but my Dealer also started Baby on regular oil. Her and I took it very easy for the first 3K. At what must have been about 9K (my third oil change)... the service manager muttered something about my GCL experiencing "extreme driving conditions." **bats eyes innocently** Maybe something to do with putting on 3K miles a month. Anyhow, while I have a GCL, it uses the same I6 engine as the Wrangler, and it still purrs so soft I can barely hear it at now 41K+. Also experienced the mpg gain others reported... close to one mpg more over regular oil. And yes, the 5K between oil changes is more convenient. :o) Been awhile since I posted, so had to add my two cents.

Take care all,

Tara
  • Options
    yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

I just put the full cover on for the first time, complete with the lock. Seems to fit well, although it doesn't fit over the bumpers. Is this on purpose? I don't mind, since I have to display a parking permit on my rear bumper anyway. The lock worked well too, loops right underneath and goes through holes at the bottom of the cover on either side near the doors. It took me about 5 minutes to put the thing on, maybe less. A little cumbersome, but that was to be expected. Standing on the sidesteps really helped. Anyone have a similar experience?

yellowman

p.s. - tsjay, I bent that antenna over just like you recommended. Seemed to work fine!
  • Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    I just emailed the new jeep checklist to both of you. It's already in htm format.

Make whatever changes you want to it. I still have to wait to pick up my Jeep; the days are going so slow.

Madman
  • Options
    sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    The factory Trac loc is a limited slip differential. It uses a clutch pack that requires an additative in the gear oil to make sure everthing works properly and because it is a limited slip it will slip under certain situations. It is great on road because it is quiet and usually doesn't not have any torque steer or chattering on turns. Off road in certain situations (one wheel without traction) you may lose the power to the slipping side and they do wear out over time. The full time locker (Detroits etc.) are locked by gears and are nosier on the road, will torque steer in turns. Off road they do not slip and will give you full power to both tires all the time. They are much stronger and do not generally wear out and do not require any special oil. The Part time lockers(Air lockers) is the best of both worlds. You may switch them on for off road and get a full time locker or switch them off for on road for the feel of open axles. The disadvantage is the parts may fail (not lock), more costly for parts and installation and require additional equipment to make it all work properly (switches, air compressor and air lines).
  • Options
    Twylie has also mentioned that his Duravent cover was too tight to get it over the bumpers front and back.

I have one too, and that was true of mine also, but after being put on several times, mine now has stretched enough that it will go over all four bumper corners. It is very important to have it aligned just right in order to get it to fit over all four bumper corners.

Haven't had occassion to find out how waterproof it really is, since it has never rained on Thelma when she was covered.

If you want to have some fun, try putting that cover on by yourself when the wind is blowing! It is so light that even a gentle breeze makes it hard to handle.

I think it is a good cover, but I still have to find out about how waterproof it is.

tsjay