Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus ZX5

Comments

• billmchalebillmchale Member Posts: 107
    I would say ABS is a definite plus; it can adjust to road conditions far faster than you can. You might get threshold breaking down instinctively for dry roads, but add a little water and the coefficient of friction changes which means the lockup point changes. The biggest thing to remember about ABS brakes is to hold the pedal down regardless of any noises you hear or vibrations you feel.

One last point, the only time ABS brakes are not a plus are when dealing with loose surface conditions such as sand or snow. Since most people aren't going to take a ZX5 off roading, I think the only reason (other than expense) not to get ABS would be if you deal with alot of snow covered road situations.
  • 77hchbck77hchbck Member Posts: 24
    Any comments on the performance of the 2.3L engine in this setup? Is it noticably better than the 2.0L ZETEC? Is this the identical drivetrain to the Mazda3?
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I recently test drove 2 ZX5s. A 2004 w 2.3 & AT & 2005 w 2.0 (I thing the O% is a "Duratec") & 5spd.

The 2.3 seemed to have noticably more power, even w the AT (that perception may have been enhanced w the kickdown shifting of the AT). However, I thought the interior layout & driver's seat in O5 was better. The 05 seat definitely had more bolstering, actally felt a bit tight & I am only 5'8" & 155 lbs. The 04 seat was felt flat, almost shapeless.

I have been seriously considering replacing my 92 Civic Si hatch w the Focus. However, I would be much more apt to get a Focus if they offered the 2.3 in the 05 ZX5. I hope Ford will reconsider its engine availablity for the ZX5 in 06. Is there any Ford site where someone might listen?

Mazda 2.3 has a bit more HP & less torque. The MZ3 5spd feels significanly more precise the the Focus. Not sure if there is any differences in ATs. I found the Focus AT is very smooth & responsive
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am seriously considering a ZX5 for my next run-about car (replacing a 92 Civic Si).
    From what I can read, the 2.0 is a just adequate for this car & the 2.3 far better. Unfortunately it looks like the 2.3 is only available in 04 Zxs.
    So I would love to hear comments from owners with ZX5s that have both 2.0 & 2.3 with AT & manual tranny.

2.0 owners, do you often wish from more power?

What real world mileage are people getting with either engine?
    Thanks
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I have a 2003 ZX5 with the 2.0L and manual transmission. With 130HP, I don't feel that I "need" more power, but frequently "want" more power.

My commute is about 60-70 miles per day, round trip. Mainly rural 4 lane roads and urban interstate. I've been averaging 30MPG for most of this time - not bad, but there are times I wish the gas tank was just a little bit larger. I can go back and forth to work for an entire week if I don't go anywhere else.

Would I like the extra 15-20 HP the 2.3 brings to the table? Who wouldn't? Do I absolutely need it? In my opinion, nope.

(Of course, I have two other cars in my household, a 180HP Saturn L300 and a 250HP Saturn VUE, so if I need an adrenaline rush, I can drive either one of those.)

As always, YMMV.
  • bobsawyerbobsawyer Member Posts: 1
    I want to add an iPod adapter to my Focus' 6-disc CD changer. There is a control for AUX input, but I can't locate a convenient (ha!) input jack. Am I going to have to dismantle the dash just to add a line-in, or is there an easy way to get to it that I'm missing?

Thanks,
    -Bob
  • colleenmcolleenm Member Posts: 2
    Hi I just bought a Ford Focus 4-door Hatchback on Saturday and found when I drive long distances my foot falls asleep. Does anyone know how to remedy this problem?
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Stuff an alarm clock down your sock.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Massage your foot with NoDoze
  • twistylocstwistylocs Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone,

After literally years of research, my husband and I took delivery of a 2005 Focus SX5 (SES) today. We're pretty happy with the deal we got, and we're not ashamed to say that if it weren't for the reduced prices we probably would have gone in a different direction. But it seems that the Focus' reliability has gotten better with the 2005, and we're pretty confident in our decision.

I look forward to learning more from each of you, and to participating in this community! :)
  • netmarynetmary Member Posts: 3
    Hi Teisylocs,
    I want to buy a Ford 2005 Focus SX5 as well. Could you please tell me how much you get it?
    Thanks a lot :)
    We took advantage of the Ford Family pricing promotion that is running until August 1. The sticker price on the car was $24,925, but we paid $20,976 plus GST/PST. Not a bad deal at all - comparable to the Hyundai we were looking at a month ago.
    Thank you very much. :D I'm going to test driver today.
    For the Family promotion, I focus Focus :shades:
  • trixwagentrixwagen Member Posts: 4
    Price is a big issue. I most likely would not have purchased my $21,000 Focus if I didn't get it for $16,000.
    Hi everyone,
    I tested a Ford Focus SX5 yesterday. So disappointed! :(
  • trixwagentrixwagen Member Posts: 4
    Details, please? What were you expecting?
    Yes, I'd be interested to know exactly what you didn't like, and what you expected. :confuse:
  • alouettes05alouettes05 Member Posts: 6
    ...(echo)...Uh, I think a brief explanation / few details would be nice. The Spectra5, now that was a disappointment.

Paid $16,500 CDN for a 2005 ZX5 using X-plan and various Ford rebates.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    After over a week driving it, I wasn't too impressed by its mileage, 25MPG. It may improve after break in, but, for so little power, it's not too far from the 22-24MPG I get in my other cars, each with more than 200HP.
    I didn't get this option, but I wonder if it's just a matter of adding a fuse in the fuse-box to enable this feature. Any clues?

TIA
  • slowride022slowride022 Member Posts: 9
    Ive had my zx5 for 2 weeks now and am a little concerned with the gas mileage. I got about 22 mpg on the first tank and 23 on the second. A long way from the 25 - 32 stated on the sticker. Is any one else experiencing this problem. Also the cup holder rubs against my right leg and is annoying to say the least. Other than that I love this car.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I've been researching econoboxes for a while on several different forums, and one thing that I hear on all the boards is that cars nowadays have a breakin period of up to 5000 miles, during which the mileage is lower than expected. Hang in there, your mileage will probably improve as the car breaks in.

I'll tell you why I'm not impressed with the Focus: From what I can tell (searching dealer inventories and at fordvehicles.com), the ZX3 and ZX5 hatch versions are available only with BLACK interiors. There are two versions: black-on-black and grey-on-black, both of which have a huge black dashboard in under the windshield that heats up the car something fierce. I understand gray leather is also available, but NO Focus hatchbacks in the U.S. are available with a tan (or other light-colored) interior.

Is my understanding correct? If anyone knows anything different, please enlighten me. Between cash back of $2500 and the employee pricing, the price of the Focus can't be beat. My last three cars have been Fords, so I am comfortable with the brand, but from what I've seen, the interior of the Focus hatchbacks is hideously dark.
    If you dont get an answer here....call the dearler and ask..... or,,,,,,,,,,,,., go to a dealership and check it out.
    I've gotten b.s. from car salesmen. They will promise anything- "Sure, we can get that in a tan interior" to get you interested in the car, then the come up with a car with a black interior saying it was the best they could do. Whether the are lying or just ignorant I don't know; but either one is inexcuseable. A lot of the dealers I've been to just don't have intimate knowledge of the cars they're selling; I know more than they do based on a little time posting at places like Edmunds. I see salesmen standing outside dealerships all the time smoking cigarettes or just waiting for someone to show up. They'd be better served surfing automotive forums and their own automakers' websites learning about their products and how they compare to other cars.

This isn't just Ford, either; it's all of them. For instance, a Hyundai salesman assured me the bench portion of the Elantra back seat didn't move and the only folding part was the seat back. He was practically bragging that he went to dealer training and was shown every feature of the car. I then proceeded ot pop the rear bench up and fold it forward, enabling the rear seat back to fold flat.

But enough ranting. I came to this thread because I was just wondering what the gray-on-black really looks like. If someone could post pictures of a gray-on-black (I think it's called "light flint") interior, or a gray leather interior, from a ZX3 or ZX5, I would appreciate it. Or if you have an honest-to-goodness 05 Focus ZX3 or 5 with a tan interior, let me know.
    When I go to the various auto sites to build the ZX5 ...... they all "do not" show anything other than the black or flint/grey type interior selection mode. I cpould not find any "tan" at all, so you probably do not have that choice.
    My interior is the black and light gray or flint. Its been 90 to 100 degrees here but surprisingly enough it really doesnt heat up all that bad. It doesnt look all that bad either. Have you seen one in real life. Its tolerable. You can get another 500 dollars off if you put at least 500 down with Ford motor credit. I paid 14000 even for my zx5 ses with anti locks and auto trans.
    The zx4 can be ordered with a two-tone peeble interior.
    Apparently, it's just a matter of adding a relay, as my car already has a fuse for DRL. Ford sells it here: http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/fas/consumer/FAS_ProductDetails.asp?PartNumber=F6RZ13B- 218AA&oid=1738&sOldOid=1735&detail=yes

I'll stop by a dealer to check it out.
    Maybe I need to see what the gray interior looks like. I know there are some great Focus deals available. If I can stomach the black- gray, it may be the best car I can get. $14k sounds pretty good.
    It seems that after some breaking in the mileage crept up a bit, to 26MPG for my commute.

It's not that I bought this car for the mileage, but, with so little power from its 2.0 engine, I'm looking for something to balance it. :)
    I know hind sight is always 20-20, but maybe you should have considered the Mazda 3. It has the kind of power your looking for. About 3 or 4 thousand dollars more cost and a lower MPG. Very nice car though!
    I did look seriously at the Mazda 3, but the problem was 3 to 4G more... :cry: Besides, only the sporty version would have the extra horses I cherish.

I don't mean to bash the Focus, it was a good buy.
    Well, I finally tracked down the gray interior. It's not exactly what I would like, but it is liveable. The car I found with it was a ZX3; I would really like a 5-door. So now I guess I should contact my local Ford dealer and see what they can find for me.
    I took a ZX3 out for a spin. If I wanted a performance car, it would be pretty good. But since I'm primarily interested in a highway commuter, I'm not so sure the Focus is the best available. It seemed to have a lot of road noise at highway speeds. Much more than the Elantra.
    Does hyundai make a hatchback in the elantra?
    Yep. 5-door
  • javnerjavner Member Posts: 23
    Found a ZX5 SE with Sport Grp, Conv Group and Sunroof with a 5spd at the local dealer (at least on the website). Haven't seen the vehicle yet. With Employee Pricing and the $2500 the price is around 14 and change based on the Ford Website.

Does anyone have any more information on the down payment matching mentioned above? I figure I'm about a grand under water to get out of my lease early and if I could "split the difference" with the matching the numbers could work.

Now, just have to wait for it to stop raining so I can go see if they can actually find the car.

Thanks
    It turned out that the kit sold by Ford is meant to be installed in cars which aren't wired for DRL, which's not the case of my '05 Focus as it's even got the DRL fuse installed.

I guess that because DRL is mandatory in Canada, all Focus come wired for it. I found out that all that's needed is the addition of a relay in the electrical box under the hood.

The relay has Ford part # 4F1Z-14089-AA. I got it for $25 and is as easy to install as just dropping it in its socket (see the Owner's Manual).

My car's now got DRL. ;)
  • jbjjbj Member Posts: 2
    You're lucky slowride. I have 4000km (~2700 miles) on my '05 ZX5 SES automatic and never got more than 22 mpg, highway or not. It is worst in the city, at about 19 mpg. I don't see any improvement at all.
    I had somebody at my dealership look at it and their computer was reading 26 mpg :confuse: . Considering this, I think there is something wrong with the engine management module and I am going to ask them to replace it. After all, I bought a small car not a small truck or SUV. ;)
    BTW, could any Canadian confirm the DRL relay part #4F1Z-14089-AA, please?

TIA
    Please, keep us posted about the solution.

So far, after 1000mls (i.e., the typical break in period), my Focus is still guzzling more than its due share: between 23 and 26MPG in my commute. My Intrigue (3.5 V6, 3500lbs.) and my Bonneville (3.8 V6, 3700lbs.) get 22 to 24MPG in my commute. Shouldn't I expect better mileage from a 2.0 I4, 2700lbs car?
    Not sure about the Focus, but several other comparable cars supposedly have a breakin period of 5000 miles. Before that point, many of these cars get pretty low mileage. Maybe 1000 miles just isn't enough.

I think part of the reason for the longer breakin period is that many new cars have "adaptive technology" where it looks at how you drive and then optimizes the engine computer and transmission shift points based on what it sees.
    I did my first interstate trip this week in my zx5. I got 30 MPG on two tanks of gas with the AC on. Iam starting to feel a little better about its ability. :)
    Know how you feel. My lincoln towncar gets 24 mpg on the hwy. Dont really want to give up the comfort for 5 mpg. But now gas is 3 bucs a gal., it adds up fast.
    On a 3000-mile trip to the Grand Canyon my Bonneville got 29MPG and on a recent 200-mile trip my Intrigue got 32MPG. These cars get the same mileage as my Focus in my commute. Is the Focus a little guzzler or are they just thrifty large cars?
    I feel those are very exceptional numbers for your Olds and Pontiac. The best in class, Honda Civic only gets around 35 mpg.
    One car hardly call a figure averaged over 3000mls exceptional. It's a long distance and a significant altitude climb and coast from Texas to Arizona... The 3700lbs, full-size Bonneville is a very fuel-efficient car.

But the more astonishing of all is the Corvette: it can easily average 27MPG on the highway, with 400HP to tap. ;)
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    >>>One car hardly call a figure averaged over 3000mls exceptional

Your comparing the MPG on a commute to work to the MPG on a trip across the country. Apples to Oranges.

>>> But the more astonishing of all is the Corvette: it can easily average 27MPG on the highway, with 400HP to tap.

If you gear anything tall enough it will get 1000 MPG. The Vette has enough torque that they can put a real tall final gear in it.
    If you follow the threads carefully, you'll see that I replied to a post reporting the highway mileage of the Focus. Thus, apples to apples.

I posted other times that I get the same mileage in my Focus when commuting as in my Bonneville and Intrigue, cars almost 1000lbs heavier and more powerful. Oranges to oranges.

Bottom line: the Focus is a little gas guzzler. :lemon: My case is not exceptional, but, apparently, the norm, given so many posts reporting similar numbers.
    to the FOCUS ZX5 and forget about the Chev. Cavalier, GM nut and Gas Guzzler and "FOCUS" on the Ford FOCUS ZX5!!!