Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus ZX5

Comments

• evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Please, keep us posted about the solution.

So far, after 1000mls (i.e., the typical break in period), my Focus is still guzzling more than its due share: between 23 and 26MPG in my commute. My Intrigue (3.5 V6, 3500lbs.) and my Bonneville (3.8 V6, 3700lbs.) get 22 to 24MPG in my commute. Shouldn't I expect better mileage from a 2.0 I4, 2700lbs car?
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    Not sure about the Focus, but several other comparable cars supposedly have a breakin period of 5000 miles. Before that point, many of these cars get pretty low mileage. Maybe 1000 miles just isn't enough.

I think part of the reason for the longer breakin period is that many new cars have "adaptive technology" where it looks at how you drive and then optimizes the engine computer and transmission shift points based on what it sees.
  • I did my first interstate trip this week in my zx5. I got 30 MPG on two tanks of gas with the AC on. Iam starting to feel a little better about its ability. :)
  • Know how you feel. My lincoln towncar gets 24 mpg on the hwy. Dont really want to give up the comfort for 5 mpg. But now gas is 3 bucs a gal., it adds up fast.
    On a 3000-mile trip to the Grand Canyon my Bonneville got 29MPG and on a recent 200-mile trip my Intrigue got 32MPG. These cars get the same mileage as my Focus in my commute. Is the Focus a little guzzler or are they just thrifty large cars?
  • I feel those are very exceptional numbers for your Olds and Pontiac. The best in class, Honda Civic only gets around 35 mpg.
    One car hardly call a figure averaged over 3000mls exceptional. It's a long distance and a significant altitude climb and coast from Texas to Arizona... The 3700lbs, full-size Bonneville is a very fuel-efficient car.

But the more astonishing of all is the Corvette: it can easily average 27MPG on the highway, with 400HP to tap. ;)
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    >>>One car hardly call a figure averaged over 3000mls exceptional

Your comparing the MPG on a commute to work to the MPG on a trip across the country. Apples to Oranges.

>>> But the more astonishing of all is the Corvette: it can easily average 27MPG on the highway, with 400HP to tap.

If you gear anything tall enough it will get 1000 MPG. The Vette has enough torque that they can put a real tall final gear in it.
    If you follow the threads carefully, you'll see that I replied to a post reporting the highway mileage of the Focus. Thus, apples to apples.

I posted other times that I get the same mileage in my Focus when commuting as in my Bonneville and Intrigue, cars almost 1000lbs heavier and more powerful. Oranges to oranges.

Bottom line: the Focus is a little gas guzzler. :lemon: My case is not exceptional, but, apparently, the norm, given so many posts reporting similar numbers.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    to the FOCUS ZX5 and forget about the Chev. Cavalier, GM nut and Gas Guzzler and "FOCUS" on the Ford FOCUS ZX5!!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,915
    200 miles is not an accurate way to measure gas mileage. it needs to be done over at least a thousand miles, or so(multiple fillups).
  • Hi folks, my cd player cannt load CD now. It says cd error c-3. Who can tell me what this mean? Thanks!
  • Don't know if you have found an answer to your question, or if this will help at all, but I had CD player fail after just 2,000 miles. The kind members of the Freestyle forum were generous enough to share this with me. Good luck!

Printable View (10 KB)
    TSB
    05-10-19 INTERMITTENT CD PLAYER CONCERNS - AUDIO UNIT PROGRAMMABLE MODULE INSTALLATION (PMI) REQUIREMENTS

Publication Date: May 16, 2005

FORD: 2005 Five Hundred, Focus, Freestyle, Mustang, F-150
    MERCURY: 2005 Montego

This article supersedes TSB 05-06-09 to update the service procedure.

ISSUE:
    Some 2005 vehicles built before 2/24/2005, and equipped with a 6 disc CD player with MP3 capability (e.g. radio must have MP3 logo present), may exhibit one or more of the following intermittent CD player concerns.

CD player skips repeatedly
    Locks up when playing certain homemade CDs
    Displays "Error" or "Bad Disc" repeatedly
    Will not accept CDs
    CD inoperative or inconsistent playability of some CDR media

ACTION:

Obtain detailed description of symptoms reported by customer.
    If issue only occurs with a specific CD, examine the CD causing the concern. Confirm that it is in good condition (e.g. CD is NOT chipped, warped, scratched, labeled, or contaminated).
    Replace radio with latest service level through your facing audio service center.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

When replacing the audio unit (radio) on 2005 Freestyle, Five Hundred, Montego and Mustang vehicles it is necessary to perform programmable module installation (PMI) prior to removal of the old audio unit. This information must be uploaded into the new audio unit once installed. Failure to perform PMI on the new audio unit may result in inoperative backlighting and/or diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2477. It is not necessary to perform PMI on the F-150 or Focus.

If communication cannot be established with old audio unit to download this information or if old audio unit is not available, as built data will need to be entered. Use NGS+ or PDS scan tool to complete the operation or follow the procedure below using WDS:

With radio (ACM) DISCONNECTED, start a new WDS session (delete existing session if started).
    After WDS identifies the vehicle, select Toolbox > Module Programming > Programmable Module Installation > ACM.
    Follow WDS prompts, connect radio (ACM) when prompted to "install new module", hit tic mark to continue.
    WDS will prompt for as built data. Enter as built data and finish following prompts until "module configuration successful" is displayed.
    As built data can be obtained at the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website or at www.motorcraft.com. For additional information, refer Workshop Manual Section 415-01 and 418-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
    -18806- Audio Unit

WARRANTY STATUS:
    Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
    051019A 2005 Five Hundred/Freestyle/Montego: Replace CD Player (Do Not Use With 18805B Or 18805C) 0.7 Hr.
    051019A 2005 Mustang: Replace CD Player (Do Not Use With 18805B Or 18805C) 0.9 Hr.
    051019A 2005 Focus: Replace CD Player (Do Not Use With 18805B Or 18805C) 0.4 Hr.
    051019A 2005 F-150: Replace CD Player (Do Not Use With 18805B Or 18805C) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
    BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
    18806 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2005 Ford Motor Company
  • nycb4enycb4e Posts: 2
    Same problem with my CD player in my new 2005 Focus. I had it to the dealer 4 weeks ago and still waiting for a replacement, the part is back ordered. I even made a call Ford directly with no resolve... It seems Ford is having problems with this unit and the vendor that supplies them... I would suggest you call Ford to register your problem.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to program some features, such as audible or visual feedback when using the key fob, when and which doors lock automatically, etc?

TIA
  • I would like to know how to use the AUX input on my Radio for the zx5. Is there connection manual and specification for the radio somewhere?....
  • Ok i want to put 2 12's and a amp in my zx5 does anyone know if the 6 disc cd changer radio will allow me to hook them up to it or do i have to get a custom radio for it?
  • maw536maw536 Posts: 1
    I am looking for this relay part too. Anybody knows where to get it?

John. :confuse:
    Yes, I stopped at a Ford dealer and they ordered the part (see evandro, "Ford Focus ZX5" #555, 30 Aug 2005 9:09 pm).

HTH
  • jbjjbj Posts: 2
    After 12000 km (7500 mls) I got 22.5 mpg on the highway on 1000 mls trip in 2 days. :mad:
    OK, my ZX5 is back to the dealer and they absolutely refuse to fix it. I gave them the full fill history for the last 6 month, showing an average of 22.3mpg. They keep saying that Ford Canada forbids them to fix fuel economy concerns and they're going to show me some letter to service managers in this regard. I asked them to put in writing what they're telling me and they refused.
    This is my third Ford product in a row. The way things are going it may well be the last. And short lived! :lemon:
  • Just brought my 05 Focus zx3 in to check for low MPG. Only get 22 city mileage and 27 hwy mileage with 8700 miles. I don't consider this acceptable for a small economy car. The dealer said everything is operating properly. I feel Ford lied about the mileage but I am happy with the vehicle otherwise.
    It's not that I was expecting the mileage to be in the stratosphere, but I was disappointed with the poor mileage too: 22-24MPG. My ZX5 2.0 is the most gas-guzzling car in my stable.

My other two cars, with much larger engines and 800 and 1000lbs heavier, deliver mileage 1 or 2MPG better in my commute.

I haven't tried long-distance highway driving yet, but my commute mixes 50% highway and 50% street driving.
    5 speed. local driving only. 28 mpg winter, 30 in warmer weather.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I've been getting a consistent 29-31MPG with mostly highway driving with my '03 ZX5 ... not sure what may be causing the poor gas mileage figures.

One thing about the Focus that I've noticed is that the owners manual stipulates 87 octane ... here in Colorado, that equates to mid-grade (regular unleaded is 85 octane). The manual has a passage in it that states that even in high altitude locations, 87 is what is best.

Are these cars automatics? Mine is a stick....
    Two manuals with reasonable mileage. Mine is an auto...
    mine is a 2.3. i could easily get worse mileage.
    My two other cars which deliver better mileage than my Focus 2.0 have a 3.8 and a 3.5 engine...
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    averages 26-27 in the summer. I don't drive it much in the winter (I keep it away from the salt/sand) but the one tank I got in the cold before it snowed was 25. 75% hwy @ 60mph...
  • Can any one tell me how this works.My car was parked with no one in it when it was backed into.The driver airbag blew but not the passenger.Replaced sensor, air bag control module, seat belt pretensioner, air bag, and it still has a steady on airbag light.Will this light clear on its own or does it have to be reset by Ford.Is there something that I missed to do.also replaced clock spring
  • Anybody out there have there windshield wipers stop working suddenly? :sick: