Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora: Care & Maintenance

14567810»

Comments

• georgex5georgex5 Member Posts: 4
    I got a notice that tire pressure was low. I fixed the tire pressures. But I can't reset the low tire pressure indicator. I press the reset button and the indicator goes off until I turn off the engine. On the next restart, the low tire pressure warning is back. How can I fix it to stay off?
  • dkocchidkocchi Member Posts: 6
    I have 95 Aurora and the add coolant idiot light came on. I am concerned what type of coolant to use. I know GM uses the red coolant, but the green colored coolant is in the car. I am unaware if this has been replaced since I bought the car used. I also heard you should not mix the two, hence my concern. A little insight on the types of coolant would be great.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    ...came in the '95 Aurora, since that was around the time that GM started using the orange Dexcool stuff. I'm pretty certain '96 and up got Dexcool. If there's green coolant in there, unless you want to pay for a flush-n-fill go ahead and put green in there. On the other hand, if you don't know for sure when the last time it was changed, probably best to have the system flushed.

Absolutely do NOT mix the two different types of coolant. Find one you like and stick with it. The big knock on Dexcool is that, if it gets mixed with air, or non-Dexcool coolant, it turns into sludge. On all of my vehicles, I typically change out the Dexcool every 2-3 years (reminds me, both my Aurora and GTO are due for changing), around the same time I have the tranny fluid and the brake fluid changed...

GM switched to the Dexcool for two reasons:

1) Its purported longer life (they advertise 100k, I wouldn't run it for that long)
    2) After some head gasket issues with early ('93 and up) Northstars they felt the Dexcool would work significantly better/not break down as early, hence the change...

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    That Dexcool is a very confusing issue, other than the sludge issue. As to mixing with air, that is unavoidable since it does not use a recovery bottle, at least on my 96, which has a tank. The fill cap says Dexcool Only.
    I came upon a class action against GM pertaining to Dexcool. Some of the plaintiff and defendant claims seemed absurd, but that may be lawyers looking for something that will stick with a jury.
    In any case, I wouldn't change without a good flushing, and intend to use the newer Zerex that claims it will mix with anything.
    It seems weird that the green would be responsible for head gaskets unless it was worn out and allowing corrosion in the normal seepage paths culminating in failure. That was one of the claims in the suit against Dexcool. So, maybe Dexcool was not the answer to that problem. Certainly any sludge formation on the walls of the cooling system will slow the transfer of heat, possibly causing hot spots and warpage.
    Unfortunately the truth seems to be hard to find, possibly because of false claims and law suits. I have my fingers crossed that Zerex may have overcome the problems and possibly the makers of the orange stuff have as well. Certain engines have more head gasket problems and so it seems to be a design problem. GM engines seem to have more problems, the newer ones since the death of old 307, 305, and other V-8's. The Ford list is shorter and the old 3.0 12 valve seemed near immune to the problem. Totally different on the 24 valve version. I had heard they were having so much trouble they were considering dropping the 24 valve 2 years ago with the slated death of the Taurus. Basically they are the same engine, just a lot more metal cut away in the head to make room for extra valves likely being the problem.
  • thecannonthecannon Member Posts: 1
    When you first start the car and the low tire pressure comes on use your select button and move to the last function then just before the date comes back on arrow down until you see low tire pressure and reset it there
  • blangerblanger Member Posts: 4
    My 2001 Aurora V6 has the check engine light on indicating the fault above. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem? I did reset the fuses in the engine compartment and the light went off for 3 months. The check engine light is again on with the same fault code. Any suggestions are appreciated
  • pops_7pops_7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There,

Still have your Aurora Wheels?

Thanks,
    Pops_7
  • help_neededhelp_needed Member Posts: 1
    I took off my pulley that the belt goes around (Idle Pulley) and lost the bolt that i need to put the pulley itself back on could ANYBODY PLEASE SEND A PHOTO OR SIZE AND TYPE OF BOLT that I NEED in order to put my pulley back on. THANX [email protected]
  • jettadan1jettadan1 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone help me figure out how to change the idler pulley. What do I have to take off to get to it.
    Been there done that. It is a job.
    First, plan on changing both pulleys, the idler and the tensioner pulley. Check your tensioner and make sure it is ok or replace it as an assembly. That was an expensive GM part at the time I did it, not available locally either.
    Beware of after-market parts. The ones I found were a stamped steel pulley and most had a terrible seal on the bearing. Little wonder they only offered 30 day warranty and this is a job you don't want to do a second time. I ended up using NAPA pulleys with one year warranty.
    Make sure the pulley runs true and I also had to modify one of the pulleys. Because the stamped steel is wider than the original plastic, it can present a problem of clearance if you ever have to change the belt. Since the pulley is just pressed onto the bearing, I was able to drive it on the bearing race enough to allow the needed clearance, yet allow the belt to make full contact. Important! Do not make contact with the bearing any place other than the race! That is the outer steel part of the bearing. I might have used an old bearing race to contact the new one. It will move with light hits of a hammer and I placed wood to soften blows and not dent new pulley.
    At this point, you may decide to go with GM original.

The JOB! Disconnect Battery! To get at the pulleys, you have to remove the front motor mount. Also one of the bolts you need to remove may be extra long according to what I read of another doing the job. He decided there were far more threads on it than needed. He cut it off and replaced with a shorter one because he could not get clearance to remove. I forget which one it was, but decided if I needed to I would drill a hole through the sheet metal of body if necessary to R&R it. I did not have the problem.

To remove that motor mount, you have to support the engine with a jack. I used a large piece of two by long enough to contact the oil pan side to side. (Make sure it won't crack with the grain or you will likely have an oil pan disaster. You might want to sandwich it with thick plywood or something.)
    In order to jack it enough, you have to remove the coil pack assembly from its mounting. I just moved mine forward since the plug wires were long enough.
    Also since you have to slide the engine assembly over, you have to remove a large bolt about six inches long holding the front transmission mount to the frame.
    Beware of exhaust pipe limitations. It has a flex in it but still has a limit to how far you can move. I did not have to drop my pipe.

That should cover the major part of it. You will still have to loosen or remove stuff to get the job done, such as washer resovoir and alternator.
    I would recommend locating torque specs for bolts and use a torque wrench. You don't want any stress problems with that aluminum block engine.
    You will save yourself a lot of money in labor. Good Luck.
    Make sure you can R&R the belt without having to tear it apart again. That is, you have needed clearance between pulley and block, the thickness of the belt.
    I think I got the torque values for All Data.
  • love9love9 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 01 Aurora i just bought. The check engine light keeps coming on, I have had an EGR vale replaced. It seems to shift while driving like from first to second. I took it to a Transmission place and they said it isnt the transmission. Whew!!! It also seems to jerk real hard when i come to a stop sometimes ( as if im putting my foot on the brake and gas at the same time) does any one know what this problem can be
    Are you saying it is stuck in limp home mode, only have gears one and two?
    Knowing that it is not the transmission is a plus since one thing that can cause that is some solenoids that can break which are located in the bottom.
    Which engine/transmission?
    What is the code for the check engine?
    How many miles on vehicle?
    the codes are showing P420 and P410 and it has 133,000 miles
    You still have not said which engine.
    I suggest you find a chart specific to the Aurora. Those codes from general charts indicate something going on with bank 1 oxygen. Depending upon which year, you could have as many as four O2 sensors and just below that mileage is when I had three of them puke codes.
    I found that none of the aftermarket had as many flutes on the sensor and if you look through the forums you will see that aftermarket parts did not work out well for combustion related issues.
    If it turns out to be a code more specific to sensors, and it is not a heater issue such as blown fuse, I'd replace all of them and get them in AC/Delco brand.
    I have used Rock Auto and GM parts direct. There are likely other sources as well that give a hefty discount. Definitely read the info at GM parts direct before placing order there.
    im sorry. its a 3.5L V6
    I had to ask because of the year. Earlier models only had the more common 4.0 Aurora engine by Cadillac, V8.
    What I said about getting appropriate OBDII chart still applies. Some of those numbers mean slightly different things for different vehicles, even though it might have same engine because of how the computer was programmed. I don't know that engine is as fussy as the 4.0, but there are slight differences in aftermarket parts.
    I took a chance on using a Borg-Warner fuel pressure regulator on the 4.0 because I knew they made a lot of such parts for GM. They admitted that though they designed per information they got from GM, for aftermarket, it might not be exactly the same and it seemed to me that I lost some power. The main reasons I would accept an aftermarket would be that I know it is exactly the same part or the GM OE is having a high failure rate and I know that something else is likely better.
    One such part I tried a few times was the common Throttle Position Sensor which was under $30 bucks aftermarket and the GM was 76. The OE''s had lasted nearly 100K. The aftermarket lasted 6 months. One of them was even replaced under warranty, but still the time involved with changing it and recalibrating the fuel system to it, the cheap one ended up costing me 2 to 3 times more.
    good luck
  • twlv21twlv21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Aurora.

Does anyone know how much new pulleys will cost me. I've been on the road the past month (nearly 3000 mi). After my last trip, there was some noise coming from under the hood. Someone told ,e that its was my pulleys. He said it was a easy fix. Just trying to figure out how much this will run me.

Also after I had my altenator replaced my lights randomly flick on and off. No clue what it may be, and no one else seems to know either. I tried taking the battery off, and it worked for a little while. They come flicker randomly through out the day draining my battery, and causing it to die.

Any solutions?
This discussion has been closed.