Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra Sedan

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Member Posts: 11
    hi,
    the drivers seat goes as far back as the passenger seat however that is still not back enough for a 5' 8" person like me.. i will play with it today to find out if its broken or not.. but it seems as if it dont go any farther as i have played with it before. mine is a US spec automatic. my knees are aching even after a short drive.. i hope i can move it back further will update the forum if i can...
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    KW:

I just had a thought about your leg room situation.

The Spectra comes with a six-way adjustable driver's seat. The seat bottom goes up and down, in addition to back and forth. There's an additional lever on the left-hand side with an arrow design on it. It's basically a ratcheting lever that lifts the seat bottom up first in the back and then in the front, etc. when the lever is lifted up.

Is it possible that this lever has the seat bottom tilted up more in the back vs. the front, thus making it uncomfortable for you?

If you haven't played with this particular adjustment, be sure to check it out.

Anecdotally, I recently had a 5' 11" friend drive my car, and when he sat down in the driver's seat, he actually had to move the seat forward (from my setting) to feel comfortable leg and arm-reach wise.

So... if you're only 5'8", I'm finding it hard to believe that you can't get comfortable in the new Spectra. Do you have an exceptionally long inseam, and thus legs?

Let us know about the whether you've been using the additional lever to adjust the seat.

-SM
    hi,

thanks for the suggestion, the seat was sitting higher and the lever maxed out in the up position making the seat forward but not by much. I did try lowering the lever and it made it somewhat tolerable driving position. However now i have to sit very low where as i liked the old position of sitting higher was better. i still could use a lil more leg room. If i havent praised enough about the sound proofing then this cars got one of the best sound proofing of all cars i have ever owned. My other car is an 01 acura MDX. This car is a lot quieter than my mdx on the road. Kia sure took a page from toyotas book. Cars should be shielded from road noise and vibrations... kia is on the right page on this
  • paulywogpaulywog Member Posts: 1
    I have had this new Spectra for 500 miles now. This car drives like a dream. I bought it fully loaded for 13 grand. The 2 liter engine has enough oomph to keep the tach below 2500 for almost all but quick starts and occasional acceleration. Even then it hasn't had to go much past 3300. Plenty of power for me. I drive 80% highway and have averaged betwee 31 and 35 mpg. I will still test so my numbers get more accurate. First 3 days was at 60 mph. I got 31.1 mpg. The next 3 days was at 65 mph. I got 35.2 mpg. The next 3 days wil be at 55 mph. Then I will do it again 3 days at 55, 60, and 65 mph. Since I don't drive faster than 65, I won't test for it. I noticed that at 65mph the tach sat on 2500. At 60mph it was 2250. At 55 it was a hair over 2000. All tests are with the A/C on as I use it both summer and winter. In winter it keeps the windows from frosting up on the inside. I try to plan my passing on ramps and other cars so I don't have to touch the throttle. It downshifts to crest one hill at 3000rpm. Steeper hills and higher speeds will affect the RPMs and MPG.
    This car rides as smooth as glass. I hardly feel it when being passed by a semi at 65mph. Also there are several spots on my commute that go through cuts in the rock so that you get crosswinds when you come out from the gaps. I feel hardly any instability in stiff crosswinds, unlike my SUV. It may be different at higher speeds. I feel a slight roll when entering on and off ramps at 40mph but it flattens at 35 and lower.
    The fit and finish is excellent. I am impressed with the extras. The A/C has a filter the operator can clean. Auto shutoff of the passenger airbag if the seat is unoccupied. Fog lamps.
    OK, it would be nice if the CD player worked with MP3s, but for 13 grand I'll burn my MP3s into WAVs that I can take with me.
    So far this is a great car. :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    what's more-the Kia Long-Haul Warranty really works-Kia does stand behind it. Not in my opinion, it is a fact. I know-I'm on my 2nd Kia in a row, a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4. I loved my 1999 Kia Sephia sedan so much I decided to trade in early-at only 82,000 miles. Our Sportage 4x4 has treated us well.

Kia vehicles aren't perfect, so you may need your Wanrranty. I have found my Kia retialers to be very fair if a repair or Warranty-item is needed.

Oh, your Kia Spectra sedan is also better looking than all the rest, of that you can rest assured. Even better looking than the Mazda 3. Enjoy your Spectra and come on back and share your Spectra experience with us! :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Gleaned from an anti-KIA forum online:

ok i got a 2004 kia spectra
    14000 miles and the air bag light turns on I bring it to the dealer to fix it they took hours....
    finaly thay ask me if its ok to pull the center console "were coffie cups are put "
    apparently the drink holders leaked
    and what is under the Leaky coffie holders ?
    the advanced air bag computer !!
    my coffie was sloshing and the liquids were pooling around the electronic device causing it to rust..
    this air bag computer part cost 800$ At first they were saying its not covered under the warranty
    When they said "not covered" I fliped out causing a huge scene in the dealership. At whitch point they agreed to replace the part .
    So dont drink liquids in your kia or it might cost you big time
    this is no joke real

Epilogue:

I email the poster of this complaint to see how the liquid *actually* got under the console, since the cup holders appear (to me) to be leak-free, even if a drink is sloshed into them.

The verdict? The poster's drink cup was dropped and spilled down around the much more vulnerable emergency break handle slot right next to the driver.

So..... be VERY careful with any drinks or other liquids in the front seat area of your new Spectra, and don't allow them to spill onto the emergency brake handle area OR the auto trans shifter slot for that matter!

Else you may have some 'splainin to do to the KIA Service Manager! :-)

-SM
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's good to know. My DW isn't too careful with the beverages she totes in her Elantra, and its design is similar.
    now that's news that Kia Spectra owners can really use! Watch that coffee sloshin' now!

That's effective use of the Internet tool, huh?

2006 Spectra EX Spec Changes (from previous post):

Exterior:
    Delete fog lights on EX 4-door model
    Delete 15-inch factory-installed alloy wheel option on EX 4-door model
    (available as dealer installed option)

Interior:
    Delete sunroof option on EX 4-door mode
    l

Road and Track just confirmed these changes in their recent issue.

I agree with Shawn's statement:

"I really think they made a mistake removing the fog lights and moonroof option from the EX version if this is true. And hopefully the dealers will add on the alloys. Anyway, I think this makes the EX very much less competitive with the competition and the Elantra GLS especially with the removal of the moonroof."

I would definitely regret not having these options on my Spectra EX, and would not like being forced into buying the more "boy-racer" SX to get them. It's these options that help push the Spectra EX into a more upscale experience.

Mechanical:
    New 4-speed A/T (except SULEV models in CA, MA, ME, NY, VT)
    New-generation transmission is lighter in weight, more durable and provides improved operation

This was definitely news to me. R&T didn't mention this one. I'm not surprised, since erratic shifting was the only problem I've seen mentioned on another KIA-centric Spectra message forum. Most of the problems were solved with some reprogramming of the transmission software. I've experienced no transmission problems at all after 13k miles. I'm really hoping that the new transmission was implemented primarily for the weight savings (thus MPG) and NOT the "more durable" adjective above!!!! :surprise:

I know that KIA's probably trying to improve the profitability of the now "standard" Spectra, but the sunroof, alloy wheels, and fog lights should still be be available at least as an extra-cost feature package on the EX.

I'm the type of guy that likes those features, but doesn't like his front spoiler being scraped off every time I pull into a parking spot. ;)

-SM
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Spectraman,

I agree I don't like having to choose a Spectra SX to get the options they dropped for 2006. Though I like the Spectra SX because of the 16" rims and sportier suspension I don't like the lower ground effects package - especially on the sedan.

Happy motoring,

Shawn
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Hi all,

I just did the first oil change on my girlfriend's 05 Spectra EX at 2600 miles. I was expecting the job to be as easy on the Spectra as the Elantra. Anyway, everything was similiar except for removing the oil filter. The oil filter is in the exact same location (duh since they use the same engine) as the Elantra but the oil filter is cover by a splash guard that runs under the entire front bumper. I had to remove almost all the screws to be able to get at the oil filter. I wish they had made it similiar to Elantra where they had a small access panel (three bolts) to get to the oil filter. Hopefully they design this in when they do the mild refresh in a few years from now.

Happy motoring,

Shawn
  • martintmartint Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2005 Spectra EX. Is anyone else having a problem with the passenger air bag sensor. I know the Sorrento has this problem. When my wife sits in the passenger seat the Passenger Air Bag Off light usually is on indicating the air bag is not active. The car has been to the dealer a few times where the seat cushion and sensor was replaced and last time a field tech from KIA came out to the dealer to reprogram the sensor computer. Still have the problem. I do like the car
    but unless KIA can fix the problem I will be forced to use the lemon law. Would appreciate any feedback.
  • kia_machinekia_machine Member Posts: 4
    Hello Group..I want to thank you guys for all the info, that you have brought forth. I went browsing for a new or even a used car and came to a kia dealer and was impressed. I never would of even looked at a foreign car but this time I did..I live in an area, where, if you need work done on a car it better be an american car or ur going to be out of luck getting it repaired or parts for. it..but the 100,000 - 10 years got my attention...I bought this very nice 2005 kia spectra and love it. I havent had any disapointments yet but It's only got 600 miles on it so far. I have noticed something thats got me bothered and was wanting to see if someone could help me....Does this car run hotter than most cause it seems like no time for the indicater moves to the middle of the guage in just a few minutes of running. and stayes there...I was just curious cause I didn't want to find out my guage was broken till it was to late. I see alot of you are happy with it...I also hear a thud type noise in the back when I am taking off from a stop light at times..thanks
  • blaketendoblaketendo Member Posts: 4
    Well, the Kia Spectra has a engine cover that may trap more heat than if there was none, so that may be why it heats up so dang fast. I did notice that too. But hey, it just means the car heats up faster. No more cold rides for my girlfriend. As for the thud? Uh, lol, I don't know, I never noticed a thud before. The only thing I can think of is the spare in the back. I'll have to go for a drive to see.

~Blake
    Hey there. I read your post about the options of the new Spectra, and the MPG results you've attained. I also have a 2005 Spectra SX, and my tach reads 3000 rpm precisely when I'm cruising at 66. I've been trying to find the best speed on the highway so as to save gas in this quickly raising fuel-price world. It is hard to tell, since i drive quite a bit in the city as well. Thank you.

~Blake
    The temp gauge is in the correct position for this car. My two Elantras, which have the same engine, have the same behavior. I love how fast they warm up in the winter time. By the time I drive a little over a mile to the freeway entrance in the morning, the heat starts to flow! :)
    - My 2004.5 Spectra EX's passenger seat airbag sensor works fine. It disables the airbag when my 11 and 13 year old girls take turns in the front, and it enables (light off) when I or my wife sit in the seat.

- My car warms up fast too... it is a treat in the winter as the others were claiming. The interesting thing I've noticed is that the temp reading is *very* consistent. Whether it's below freezing out or 95 degrees, the needle goes up to one notch below the middle and stays there regardless of whether I'm driving on the highway or in stop-and-go traffic in the city.

- Hey Blaketendo: Is your car a 5-speed manual? My automatic turns a lot less RPM's than 3000 at 66 mph.

- No thuds in my trunk. As mentioned, I'd check the spare tire well for any loose objects. Also make sure that the fold down rear seatbacks are securely latched. If the noise persists, you may have to fold the seatbacks down, and have someone crouch in the rear with their head semi-stuck into the trunk area to see if the source of the noise can be pinpointed better. They may be able to tell if it sounds like a suspension issue, or something loose rolling around in the rear inner fenders, etc. This would best be done in a parking lot somewhere. :-)

-SM
    After I had thought about it, I remembered that my car was not an automatic, and yes it is manual transmission. I still want to know however what the best speed is to get 35+ miles to a gallon.

~Blake
    Something I've been wanting to get for my Spectra ever since I bought it, is remote start. Does anyone know of a good (and most importantly, reliable) way to get a remote start system, and have it installed? My major concern is the problems that may occur. Since I have good warranties with my car, I don't want anything to screw it up, otherwise they are voided.

~Blake
    KIA's International Spectra/Cerato website

Broadband recommended, and Macromedia Flash required

Well worth a tour... it has many interactive screens showing just why our Spectras/Ceratos feel so substantial and are so quiet. Be sure to check out the NVH tab.

http://www.kia-cerato.com/base.html

It's a sort of a bummer that the North American market doesn't have access to the leather seats and the automatically controlled climate control system!

-SM
  • humanhuman Member Posts: 5
    It's a sort of a bummer that the North American market doesn't have access to the leather seats and the automatically controlled climate control system!

...or the Solar Panel Glass. It could also be that North American market doesn't have all of the sound insulation features either as featured in your link.

But so far my experience has been that my 05 Spectra has a really solid feeling and is a very quiet car. It's quieter than my wife's 05 Acura MDX which is also quiet but her's has slightly more wind noise at higher speeds.
    I was somewhat concerned about the temp reading..It didn't come to me that this cars heater may come in handy in the cold months, thanks alot..guys.I will do some more looking around for that thud sound ...I'll relook at the spare tire to see if thats the problem
    My wife weighs 130 so it should work. After a few trips to dealer the light still stays on when she sits in passerger seat, sometimes. The seat cushion and sensor has been repalced once and a KIA engineer came out and reprogrammed computer and still have problem. Car is going back to dealer next week again and the engineer is coming again with what better be the last fix. If they can't fix it will have to consider lemon law and that would be a shame because I do like the car.
    I read that the Sorrento had this problem but reprogramming computer seemed to fix problem. If anyone has this problem would like to hear about it.
    Hyundai has just announced the recall of 240,000 2004 and 2005 Elantras to fix a problem with the Occupant Classification System (OCS) on the front passenger seat. It is likely the Spectra uses a similar system, so maybe there will be a recall soon for the Spectra.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Seems kinda like a bogus recall to me. Who would leave their child seats on the front anyways? That's illegal in the states from what I know. I might be wrong, but it seems like a stupid ultra-nitpicky reason for a recall.
    I was needing to put a cruise control on this 2005 spectra . Anyone know where I could find one..and would it be easy enough to put it on myself..I have been looking over the net and I can't seem to find one...Any info would be great..thx
    The recall has nothing to do with people putting child seats on the front seat. It has to do with the OCS not functioning as designed.
    If the recall is for same problem I am having then not bogus because the problem is that the air bag is disabled when an adult is sitting in the passenger seat.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Most likely Hyundai and Kia are using the same seat sensor and/or computer, as the 2006 Sonata GLS my wife recently rented had the same problem. With an adult sitting in the front passenger seat, the passenger airbag was disabled - this occured on an intermittent basis.
  • micthommicthom Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Spectra EX Sedan with almost 6,000 miles. It is a great little car but I noticed something odd recently.

The rear window defrost button never shuts off. In other cars I've owned, if you turn the rear window defrost on, after 10 minutes or so the defrost will automatically shut itself off. This does not appear to be the case with the Spectra. I've let it go around 15 minutes and shut it off myself. In the grand scheme of things, this is no big deal--just curious.

Anyone notice this?
    Mic:

I think this is normal behavior. My 2004.5 EX does the same thing.

I do think that there's a timeout though.... but it's exceptionally long. Maybe like 20-30 minutes or something like that. I swear that I have had mine turn off on occasion when I'm driving a long time.

But like yourself, I usually just flip it off when everything is clear. Why tax that quality-made Korean battery/alternator when you don't have to? (That's a humorous little dig at KIA based on some battery issues that I've read on some of the other KIA-based forums regarding the perceived short life of the OEM batteries.)

Hopefully our batteries will go the usual 4+ years. Time will tell.

-SM
    Kia recalling more than 70,000 LD Spectras

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/24hour/autos/story/2765925p-11367744c.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Kia Motors America Inc. said Thursday it was recalling more than 70,000 LD Spectra sedans because the computer operating the air bag system could confuse a child seat for an adult in the front passenger seat.

The recall, which will begin in late October, involves vehicles from the 2004-2005 model years.

-SM
    FWIW my '01 Sportage 4x4's OEM battery is still going strong and I have about 104,800 miles on the SUV now. I often listen to the stereo while the engine is shut off and the alternator can't charge the battery back up and the battery just keeps going and going and going. It's not showing any signs of aging whatsoever. Hope everybody else's Kia batteries are also treating them well.

I just read in newspaper that KIA is going to recall the Spectra for the same problem as the Elantra had so maybe now I will get this passenger air bag sensor problem resolved.
  • stuc1964stuc1964 Member Posts: 3
    What exact colors did you get? My interior is the same color's as yours. :)
    I noticed that at least for today, you can save up to $2250 on a '05 Spectra, more with the grad program. The $1750 rebate expires today--no idea if it will be extended. That puts the Spectra at a major advantage price-wise for at least today over its cousin the Elantra--rebates were just slashed on that model.
    What exact colors did you get? My interior is the same color's as yours.

I ordered the Euro-Perf, with "sand" on top/bottom and "brown" sides.

I perfed the top/bottom sections as shown in Wheelskins brochure, but KIA perfs the sides on their factory leather covered wheels. So... you need to make a choice. Wheelskins will actually perf the whole wheel for no added cost, so that's an option too. Be warned that the it takes a few minutes to install.... there's over 105 stitches on there to make!!!!

Here's a picture of mine again, for those wondering what the heck we're talking about! :-)

SpectraMan's Wheelskins cover on his Spectra EX

So far I'm *lovin* the feel of a real leather wheel again. I've always had a leather cover on my steering wheel going back to high school. The factory KIA wheel offered good grip, but its surface was a bit rough on the hands. Now when the wheel snaps back through my hands, it's smooth and soft! But... the grip is still good if I latch on. The leather isn't the least bit slippery.

-SM
    hey spectraman,

nice steering wheel cover. Quick question is your stereo aftermarket? mine is totally diff from yours. mine looks like a double din and i was looking for an aftermarket kit to put in a pioneer in place.. if yours is aftermarket could u pls tell me what kit you used.. thank you in advance
    Hi Kwinn:

My radio is completely factory stock. The 2004.5 Spectra sedans came with a low profile CD player. Thus, I have two cubbies below my radio.

Here's a factory photo of what it looks like straight on:

Spectra EX radio for 2004.5

So far I've had no problems whatsoever with it, and it sounds great by my standards. There's no MP3 or satellite radio capabilities though, which I know are starting to be options to look for.

-SM
  • humanhuman Member Posts: 5
    I did notice this problem on my 05 Spectra as well.

Does anyone know if the dealer has the means to fix it now, or do I have to wait for the recall?
    My problem with the sensor is that when my wife sits in the passenger seat, the "passnger air bag off" light would come on at times. I have had the sensor replaced and the computer reprogrammed once too. I was scheduled to meet again with the KIA tech at the dealer when I read about the recall. The recall seems it is for a different problem though. The sensor reqjuires too heavy a weight to activitate the air bag. We will see.
    Just a little blurb I wanted to share.

I come outside to find frost on the Spectra this morning.... no big deal since it IS mid-October and I'm in Michigan! It's a beautiful clear morning, and the sun is just starting to fall on my car.

I start the car up, hit the defrost button and dig the scraper out of the trunk. The frost comes off the windows quickly, and I hop back in the car.

As I sit there waiting for my kids to come out (so I can take them to school), my eye catches some movement on both sides of the car. I look over and my mirror is smoking! And so is the other one!

I chuckle when I realize that it was simply my Spectra's heated external mirrors doing their thing and melting the frost that had also formed on them. It's been so many months since I've seen frost that I'd forgotten about this feature!

Life is good. :-)

-SM
    absolutely stunning news!

I am in the midst of digging my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 to the full, too. I do not have heated mirrors, however. Very cool feature. Kia and Hyundai are marvelous car makers.

spectraman, has Kia hinted at a re-design for the Spectra sedan and Spectra5 at all? 2008 or so? Not that they need one, just wondering if they've mentioned a re-design planned for the distant future.

I know have 1,700 miles on my 2005 spectra ex sedan. I love the exterior lighting and spoiler. I am aproached, quite a bit, about how sharp it looks. It's black and I have placed a small red stripe on the side that really stands out. I look at similar cars like the new chevy cavaliars and ford focus and, in my opinion, the spectra looks alot more stylish and unique than theirs, and alot of others out there I have come across.
    Kia Wants To Be Chevrolet

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog/automotive/1820596.html

"....given that Kia is the second fastest growing automotive brand in the last 5 years (with sales up 68 percent), its cars are priced from roughly $11K to $26K, and they all have that awesome 10-year/100,000-mile warranty, it means we're all going to see a lot more of Kia as it tries to build and sell affordable cars for everyman in every market.

Gee, that last part sounds a lot like Chevrolet. And Hunt didn't denounce the analogy"

-SM
  • stuc1964stuc1964 Member Posts: 3
    I find that the rear window defroster works quite a bit slower than other cars i have had. This is only with fogged up windows since it hasn't got cold enough yet in Wisconsin to have frost.But so far thats the only [non-permissible content removed] i have about this car! :)
  • ofrakinofrakin Member Posts: 12
    My GSX runs great w/ no problems for the past 90K, until lately. I have a solid rattle, like a broken shock or motor mount. Its on the passenger side and everything checks out tight ; calipers, brakes, strut, shock, motor mounts and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have an idea? thanks
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Nov_29_2005.S173.A96- - - - 84.html

Len Hunt is glad to get a crack at running Kia Motors. The new COO of the Korean carmaker's U.S. unit had been tapped to run worldwide marketing for Bentley at Volkswagen. "I looked at my schedule of one posh glad-handing event after another, many of them on the weekends, and I thought…I'm too young for that kind of life," said Hunt during a recent chat in New York.

( snip )

At Kia, Hunt doesn't plan to do too much tinkering with the master plan. "I'm not changing the blueprint, because the strategy is right," says Hunt. His biggest surprise, he says? That the Spectra beat Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic on J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Survey.

He does plan to talk to his new Korean bosses about juicing up some versions of Kia's products. A turbocharged, all-wheel-drive Spectra5 is on his wish list.

-SM
  • micthommicthom Member Posts: 5
    I have noticed that my gas mileage will consistently be above 27 mpg if I fill up BEFORE my tank gets below 1/4. If I fill up when the tank is below the 1/4 mark, my mileage is usually poor (i.e. ~24). At first I thought it was coincidence but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    have you noticed what micthom says happens with your 2004 1/2 Kia Spectra sedan? That is really kind of interesting...there might be something to it and I think I've noticed that before with my 2 Kia rigs but I have no scientific evidence to back it up. I think it might have something to do with the fact that gas runs lower on the guage faster when it reads below 1/4 tank on the guage. I'm sure it's a technical reason but, for example, if you put $5.00 of regular no-lead in your tank when it shows 1/4 tank, it will go up further on your car's gas guage in inches distance than if your gas guage shows empty and you put $5.00 of regular no-lead in the tank.

If the above doesn't make sense don't worry about it, but chime in with your interpretation of it if you want. ;)

This discussion has been closed.