Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra Sedan

Comments

• spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Darn that lousy DaimlerChrysler! When will then start being original and STOP cloning KIA's designs like the Spectra?!?!

Don't believe me? Look below:

Spy Shots: '08 Benz C-Class

Mercedes-Benz is preparing a new C-Class, which will make its debut in the spring of 2007.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Dec_15_200- 5.S173.A9748.html

;-)

Seriously though... I have often thought that my car (esp. in gold) looks like a small MB from certain angles.

-SM
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    (couldn't reply directly because of the quirk in Town Hall with large photos)

Put bigger wheels on that Spectra and they could almost be twins!

I wonder if the MB will cost more than the Spectra? ;)
  • frisbee2frisbee2 Member Posts: 3
    That's interesting about the next C-class and the present Spectra styling cue's. A gal at work just purchased a 2000 Jaguar, and the lines on that are very similar to my 2004.5 too. I'm still boasting about the current Edmund's resale values of my Kia, and the super deal I got it for last March. It's worth more used! My car actually appreciated! When has that ever happened before!? I love my Kia, only wish the finish was a little better, and maybe the carpeting. :P
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    I am suprised about the resale value. I need to look this up. My girlfriends 05 Kia Spectra might be worth more than we paid.

Anyway, the finish on our 05 Spectra in my opinion is better than my 05 Elantra GT and my previous Suzuki Aerio. The paint is harder and thicker in application. The 05 Spectra is driven 6 days a week from Laguna Beach, CA to either Riverside or Whittier back and forth (110 miles round trip) on the 5/60/91 fwys which has significant truck activity and the car only has a few nicks in the front bumper. Compared to my 05 Elantra GT we have about the same number of nicks but I run a car bra at least 95% of the time - unless it is raining.
    FYI.... I wonder if KIA's planning on building Spectras at this new plant? Or will it be the new Optima and an SUV (mimicing Hyundai's Sonata/Santa Fe team in Alabama)?

http://tinyurl.com/d5tyd

Kia may build bigger U.S. plant

As sales have grown, plans have expanded; Miss. site is not a given

Rising U.S. sales are leading Kia Motors Corp. to expand its plans to build its first assembly plant in the United States.

Three economic development officials familiar with the project say Kia is considering a larger factory than the one it spent most of this year planning. Kia is looking at sites in several states, although Mississippi was the initial choice.

Kia told officials in several Southern states this year that it envisioned a plant with 1,500 workers. But the development officials say the expanded Kia plan now involves 2,000 to 2,500 workers.

It's not clear how many vehicles Kia intends to produce at the plant.

-SM
  • axel_roseaxel_rose Member Posts: 16
    Where did you find this information about the resale value? I have a 2005 Kia Spectra 5 and tried to trade it in on a new truck and they only offered 10,000.00...
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    that sounds about right. Kia cars don't hold their value very well. My '01 Sportage 4x4, to the contrary, with 107,090 miles on it, is currently worth $4,500 on trade in. The 4x4's command a better trade-in value, if you keep them up well. I've had all it's maintenance done and I've driven it carefully (for example, I just had it in to get new tires a few months ago, they were OEM Hankook tires that I got 102,000 miles out of!!). I haven't ever blown a single lightbulb out on it!

I am thinking of trading it in the end of January on a 2006 Kia Rio5.

Kia cars depreciate at a faster percentage rate than their SUV's. Unfortunately, what the dealer is offering you on your '05 Spectra5 is about what they would offer. I'd try another place if it's convenient to you to do that.

I'm curious, what kind of truck are you getting?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Nothing new here for a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd throw this out to liven things up a bit!

Hunt: Kia eyes Chevy buyers
    Automotive News / January 17, 2006 - 2:17 pm
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060117/SUB/60117011/1011/RE- G&Profile=1011

Excerpt:

Watch out Chevrolet. Kia Motors America has you in its crosshairs.

That caution from COO Len Hunt reflects marketing data showing that Chevrolet is the brand most frequently shopped by prospective Kia buyers, except for Hyundai, he told the Automotive News World Congress.

"When we take Hyundai out, Chevrolet, with its sporty image, is our biggest cross-shopping brand," Hunt told his audience. "So be careful, that's where our customers are coming from."
  • kiadealerhaterkiadealerhater Member Posts: 6
    Looking for feedback:
    Spectra EX, auto, cruise control
    msrp $16190
    dealer discount $2390
    rebate $700
    owner loyalty $500
    did i get a good deal? thanks
    Looking for feedback:
    Spectra EX, auto, cruise control
    msrp $16190
    dealer discount $2390
    rebate $700
    owner loyalty $500
    did i get a good deal? thanks

Does this mean you paid $12,600 *before* tax, title, and destination?

If so, then sure.... that's a pretty good price for a car as nice as the Spectra is.

Btw, was your car a 2005 or 2006?

-SM
  • kiadealerhaterkiadealerhater Member Posts: 6
    2006 spectra ex $12,600 + TTL
    gave me a deal like that! $12,600+TTL for a 2006 Kia Spectra EX? Wow! If you dig the Spectra that's your deal. I am planning on taking a look at several new Kia's available here. Two 2006 Kia Rio LX sedans in 5-speed form. One is Silver and the other Sapphire Blue.

The Rio LX comes with tons of airbags and an AM/FM/CD changer, A/C, the 5-speed manual transmission and hand-crank windows, non-power door locks and I believe non-power side mirrors. IIRC they do have heated side mirrors, so that may not be true about the non-power side mirrors.

Anyone reading chime in and correct that if it's wrong, OK?

Anyway, my point is that I will probably test drive a Spectra SX and maybe a Spectra5 when shopping, too, so any comments new Spectra owners provide now about their rigs are taken with appreciation and are added into the early 2006 car shopping fun mix-bag by me. :D

LX does not have a CD changer nor heated mirrors. Heated power mirrors are available with the power package.
    does have a AM/FM CD player, though. Meaning you can play one CD at a time, which suits me just fine.

Heated mirrors are not available, but I don't need heated mirrors, though, either.

It's down to the 2006 Kia Rio5 or 2006 Kia Rio LX for this padre from Pocatello. Test driving and trading is a week or two away now, barring some Suze Ormon advice to the contrary. ;) See if y'all can guess where I'm comin' from on that one.

• mr28866mr28866 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know any sites or company that make cold air intakes for kia spectras :confuse:

I have searched hi n low and have come up empty. I live in Canada so there no one out here that sells them for this vehicle model, and im coming up in dead ends searching. On bigger guys like AEM n K&N I dont see anything.

Also does anyone know since kia & and hyundai are sister companys and the spectra is just like the elantra would parts intermingle?

Kind Regards.
    Hey Gang.

I posted the following on the Edmunds Sentra board a little while ago. I figured you wouldn't mind reading it.

I also looked at the 2007 Sentra on another website, and it's a whole 'nother car versus what I drove today. From the photos, it's right back in the old ball game style and ergonomic-wise.

-SM

"I just picked up a rental 2005 Sentra today to drive while my KIA Spectra EX is in the body shop. It's front bumper fascia was scraped by a nimrod (NO... not me! in a parking lot.

First the good news....

I found the Sentra to be a decent running car that appeared to like to rev high before shifts. The car was pretty rattle and squeak free for 35k rental miles too.

Other than that though.... I wouldn't trade my new design Spectra for one of these in a million years. The interior is so uncomfortable and ergonomically wrong when compared to the new KIA that it would take several paragraphs to describe the shortfalls of the Sentra.

The Sentra also lacks sooooo many of the little standard touches that are standard on the Spectra.

So.... before you flame me, I'm not saying the Sentra is a bad automobile. BUT I do agree with the poster above that it is readily apparent that this baby's ready for an overhaul! I'm sure the next one will be right in the thick of things competitively.

-SM "
    Oh... I forgot.

Another thing I noticed about the Sentra is the utter lack of leg room in the backseat when the front seats are set in comfortable positions similar to my Spectra.

The lack of space in back (of a car that seems bigger on the outside than the Spectra) would have been a deal killer for me all by itself if I were seriously thinking of buying one of these:

-SM
  • rollandalongrollandalong Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004.5 Kia Spectra 2.0 with the automatic transmission. I am only getting about 25-26 mpg on highway trips. The car only has 36,000 miles on it. The dealer put it on the tester and found nothing wrong with it. Has anyone had similar problems and found an answer? Thank you.
  • sheerwatersheerwater Member Posts: 4
    I get the same gas mileage and I am the first owner. from what I have heard the gas mileage in these cars are much worse than what the sticker says anyway. I get maybe 21-22 city and 25-26 highway. it is still better than the pickup I used to have that would get 15 in the city and 19-21 on highway. They test these cars on an ideal route with very controled acceleration and probably limited speeds to get the higher numbers that the sticker says.
  • natta1natta1 Member Posts: 11
    I was getting 24.5-25.5 overall until recently. On my normal commute I spend about ten minutes on the interstate and 10-15 minutes in "city" type traffic. I just replaced my air filter and have already seen a 1-2 mpg improvement. Not much, but something. By the way, I have 19,500 miles on the car.
  • chasaf2004chasaf2004 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a cold air intake from KFX performance parts for my 2005 Spectra5. It's a pretty decent unit that installed in about 90 minutes. The only problem I had with it is it didn't come with installation instructions (not a huge deal, it's pretty intuitive), and one of the flexible tube connectors was missing (I fabricated one out of industrial rubber and silicone sealant). You can tell a definite difference in the performance/sound after install. I would certainly recommend it. Here's their web addy: http://www.kia-fx.com
    Well gang, I think I've identified the first real problem my Spectra's in the midst of. It's currently got 19k verrrrryyyy trouble free miles on it so far!

My slowly evolving problem is that the driver's front seat lower cushion foam is starting to crumble right where my bum's left cheek sits. :blush:

I'm not a little person, but I'm not a overly large (IMHO) either. I'm 6', and weigh about 230 lbs.

It all started many months ago when I started finding errant bits of foam under the seat, in plain view when you open the door. During the summer, I just swept these up when I'd sweep my car (which is often). During the colder winter months when I haven't been sweeping, I can now see just how much foam is actually crumbling and falling down!

The lower seat cushion is noticeably starting to collapse on the side closest to the doorsill. I am now able to start feeling the narrow hard metal support/bar through the seat cloth. The bar is very narrow, so I surmise what has happened is that it has "sawed" its way through the foam cushion, with the bits of foam being deposited by gravity right where I see them when I open the door. The bar runs from the front to the back of the entire lower seat cushion on the far left side. There's a mirror-image bar on the right side too... but for some reason that side of the cushion isn't having the same problem.

There is still foam between the seat cover and the bar.... but for how long?

I have *never* had a seat do this to me in any vehicle I've driven, and I've been about the same size/weight for 15 years now. This is obviously an example (one of few I've seen) of poor design on KIA/Hyundai's part.

Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem? What do you folks think my chances of getting KIA to replace or repair the seat is? I'm sure that this is going to be a continuing problem of degradation until I won't be able to be comfortable in the seat anymore...... which is a shame because the high quality fabric and comfortable seats was a major selling point for me with my car!!!

So if you've had a similar experience with ANY KIA seat, post it here along with any remedy KIA made.

Thanks!!

-SM
    There is obviously a problem with the seat, and the car is under warranty. I don't know why there would be any issue in getting the seat fixed under warranty.

FWIW, there is no sign of any problem with the seat cushions on my 5-1/2 year old Elantra, they are still firm and supportive. I took a friend of mine for a drive yesterday (he owns a BMW 325ix), and he commented after a couple of minutes, "These are really good seats!". So this may not be a design problem with your seat but a bad batch of foam. OTOH, I weigh 170, not 230.
  • benji1benji1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Spectra last Oct. (2005) and just for curiosity started checking the mileage. It was very poor for the most part, There were fluctuations in the performance with mileage as high as 41.5 MPG to a low of 19.6. I have worked with the Kia dealer and have had a great deal of help from them in trying to solve the problem. Get someone at the dealership to check BOTH of the catalytic converters. We have found the first unit attached to the exhaust manifold to be 60 to 70 percent plugged. The vehicle is now breathing easier and appears to be ready to provide much improved mileage. the manifold unit was just replaced last week so do not as yet have actual figures, but I will post the new numbers when available.
    Well.... I can attest to the Spectra's 4-wheel disc brake's stopping power.

On my ride home tonight, some nimrod older (but not elderly) woman drove right across in front of me. Luckily the roads were dry. It was bright and sunny out, with the sun to her back, so I don't know HOW she could have missed seeing me coming. All I know is that I was whizzing along about 55 mph and she decides to pull out from a stop sign to cross in front of me. She never even looked to her right!

She SURE did though when I had to lock my brakes up! The screech was long and loud! Man... did her neck snap then!

Fortunately she didn't freeze up, and she kept going. I swung to the left a bit, and missed her by a pretty good distance. You should have seen the smoke cloud my stop left! I just (quickly) prayed that the person following behind me had the ability to stop quickly too.

The 4-wheel discs stopped the car straight and true. At no point did I feel like I was going to lose it, even though the tires locked up. Like I said, at least it was dry out!

This is the second time that I think the brakes on my car have saved me. I had similar experience a year ago in the winter time when it was slippery.

Just thought I'd give everyone a little update on here.

On the mechanical front, I've had a couple of other very minor issues pop-up. I had to have a headlight replaced last fall due to condensation build up in it. The latest issues are a driver's lower seat cushion that appears to need replaced due to disintigration of the foam, and one of the dual-note horns appears to be not working. I'm sure that both of these things will be remedied without too much fuss by my dealer, so I'm not that bummed out. As I said, both are fairly minor in nature. The car needs an oil change anyway (a freebie from the dealer), so I'll have these issues looked at then. It will probably mean a return visit at a later date to install any parts they need to order. My car's currently at 20.5k miles.

-SM
  • benji1benji1 Member Posts: 2
    HI. Please refer to message 427 posted a week or so back. The milage has improved. Also the reason for my higher MPG is the Canadian gallon is a full litre (quart) larger than an American gallon. The improvement to date since the replacement of the converter, means I am now getting a steady 34/35 MPG which here, in Canada is what we should be getting. The testing for fuel consumption is done on a dyno inside a building with controlled temperature. Tests are done at 50MPH at 68 degrees F. There is no wind, no traffic, no stop signs, no traffic lights, no trucks trying to blow you off the road, no hills ,no valleys. If I stayed in my garage I too could get the advertised mileage.
    Keep on your dealer to get what you expect.
  • aleshaalesha Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2006 Spectra a week ago, all was well til I left Walmart today, got in the car, started it the engine light was on, checked a few things, no biggie, left the parking lot the car won't speed up properly. I'm taking it in tomorrow but wondered if anyone else has had this issue and what they found it to be. I almost just want them to give me a new car!! It's only a week old!! I shouldn't be having problems already.
    I have a question for ya. As a fellow Kia owner I love my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 just as I loved my 1999 Kia Sephia sedan. My next rig may very well be a new Kia.

When you go to buy again will you pick another new Kia to trade-in for? Or buy without trading? I am looking casually at cars to trade in for but the actual time to deal could be a year away from now, or even more. The Sportage is holding up well for us.

I'm just curious because of all the new small cars offered now. I am getting a hankering for the 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan, in Barcelona Red and 5-speed tranny. I would have to do a Clinton-esque sales job on my wife, though, to enable a trade in now, but if she would I would go trade in this weekend for the Yaris. I love it's simple yet sporty hot styling, Toyota finally designed a small car I like the looks of. I've also been following with interest the 2006 Scion xA.

But, Kia's 2006 Rio LX sedan and Rio5 are great little rigs that would warrant a serious look from us first!

What'd'ya think, spectrman? Any of 'em caught your eye?

I took the car to Kia today and they are putting in a new tranny. I just feel like they should make some kind of grand gesture to keep me happy and keep my business. Anyone agree??
    Here's a good article from the Detroit News (no less!) regarding the perceived and real state of KIA these days.

The whole article's worth a read. Here's an excerpt:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060405/OPINION03/604050376&S- - earchID=73241546650235

It's time for Kia owners to stand up for their choice

"The initial reaction of many who have driven the restyled Sedona minivan and all-new Optima mid-sized sedan is one of pleasant amazement. The ride, handling and performance are on par with any of high-quality competitor. The fit and finish aren't shoddy or cheap, but well-thought out and tasteful. Kia loads a lot of safety features and comforts in the vehicles but the price is significantly less than competing brands.

But today Kia still ranks low in the minds of consumers as a premium brand and will continue to be the butt of jokes -- whether deserving or not. And Kia owners are constantly defending and explaining why they bought a Kia.

If Kia continues on the road of quality improvement with an eye to value pricing, then the number of satisfied owners should continue to swell. Kia owners and intenders will begin to publicly display Kia pride. And one day Kia owners may be counted among the group of discerning buyers who know how to look fashionably fabulous at a competitively low price.

And when that day arrives, who will be laughing then?"
  • geogeo Member Posts: 23
    Kia makes as good a product(for the $)as ANYONE in the car industry. If and when this is seen as the truth depends upon the quality of their service and commitment to the great warranty offered in U.S. The best way to vote is with loyalty in purchase and honestly saying that our cars seem great to us. The old Rio was not the car the new one is, but it was a great value for price. I miss it being offered just as I miss the VW Beetle even though the Rabbit/Golf is a "better car" - at a higher price. Kia should bring the Picanto or a similar vehicle into the U.S. to fill the spot the Rio used to occupy.

I am very happy with the 2005 Spectra but still love my 1982 VW camper which is a completely different driving experience. IMO the Spectra is as a better car than an equivalent Japanese car, dollar for dollar. BTW I am seeing a huge number of Kias and Hyundais locally but not as many when I travel. Good local dealers make a huge difference in perceived quality. George in Wisconsin.
  • picupicu Member Posts: 1
    My car is not accelerating as good now did they fixed that or what happen.
    They completely replaced the transmission, it was stuck in third gear.
  • aleckiaaleckia Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Spectra as a replacement vehicle. I lost my car when I evacuated from Katrina on my motorcycle.
    I drive alot, and was very very happy with my new purchase. I've read some of the horror stories here about the gas milage and except for the first two tanks of gas I get about 475 miles to a tank of gas (HWY), and about 400 (CTY). The braking system 4 wheel disc brakes are incredible. The handling could be is terrific for the car.
    I've had the car since November 1 and have put somewhere near 26,000 miles on it. As I said I drive alot.
    Anyway, this morning to my suprise I got in and my check engine light came on, and killed my day.
    I have a manual transmission, and have scheduled an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. Should I be concerned or what?
    Since the dealer will probably charge a diagnostic fee (should be refunded if the car has a problem covered by warranty), if the car drives fine you might want to check the gas cap to make sure it is on tight (3 clicks at least) and wait a few days to see if the light goes off by itself. That light can go on for any number of reasons. I had the engine bay of my Elantra washed the other day, and the check engine light came on. After a few days it went off.
    backy does..drive it and see if it will cycle off on it's own. Or go to your dealer and keep your appointment. I know what you mean about it killing your day because you don't know what is wrong with your car. Don't worry, I have found the Long-Haul Warranty to be very comprehensive and covering everything I've needed. If it's a recall item Kia will also fix it for free.

If it's not anything your dealer shouldn't charge you either, however, the fact that your check engine light is now on means that something is no doubt wrong. But don't worry, it's probably an item that can be fixed pretty easily and quickly and not cost you anything but an hour or two of your time. I never minded-I just walked the Kia lot and enjoyed going over all of the Kia vehicles and talking to the salesmen about them. I'm kind of a Kia nut though, so, there you go.

Do come back and post what you found out, OK, aleckia?

... the fact that your check engine light is now on means that something is no doubt wrong.

No, not quite. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap (or something like my car's wet engine). If that is the case, if there's not a warranty-related problem, the dealer can charge you a diagnosis fee. At my dealer that is $89. Now, if this is your first time in with a loose gas cap, they might be nice and waive the fee. But you can't count on that.
  • aleckiaaleckia Member Posts: 2
    Well, i took the car in yesterday, late afternoon, they threw it on the computer, and what do you know GAS CAP. I forgot I lent my car to a friend the day before, and the good friend he is he filled my tank and didnt secure the cap. Great friend indeed. Anyway, while sitting in the waiting area for my ride the service manager comes and tells me my car is ready. No charge or anything, and I'm a very happy Kia owner again.
    Sounds like a dealer worth sticking with.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sounds like a friend worth sticking with too if he's gonna fill your gas tank these days! ;)
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    It's nice to have friends like that. :):)
  • geogeo Member Posts: 23
    If just a gas cap problem you can reset the light yourself, but may have to "train" the tranny etc. over again. I just disconnect the battery for a short time and the light goes away, along with any trouble codes. If you are sure that it was a loose cap this can work. Have not had to do this on my car, but have on my son's 2004.5 twice. Once when he lost a cap, the second time when the a parts store sold him a cap for the previous gen Spectra by mistake. George in Wisconsin.
  • crazycyndicrazycyndi Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have a 2004 spectra that has done the same thing since I bought it new. I have had it in the shop numerous times to be told nothing is wrong that its my (blonde) imagination.....please tell me what they found wrong. I also have had the problem with what feels like my transmission slipping ....also my imagination. Thanks
    Cyndiimage
  • kentuckyrangerkentuckyranger Member Posts: 41
    Well, I just purchased the 2006 Spectra 5 and it has the filter on it standard. I have driven a Volvo class 8 truck for a few Years and it has the same type of filter.
    I've noticed a big change in the volume of air when the filter is removed and after a few thousand miles it gets to the point you have to either replace it or just take the thing out.
    It gets dirty so fast that I just leave it out.
    Even when the shop puts a new one in during service I take it out because it just restricts the air flow too much.
    I never thought I'd see something like hepa filters in 18 wheelers 20 Years ago when I started driving, LOL! :)
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Hi all - I posted about a humming noise, back in post #316 or so. It's not coming from the right front wheel well as I supposed, but rather the right side (passenger side) of the windshield.

It's loud, and it happens when I hit 75 or 80 mph. (The speed limit on interstates in Arizona is 75.)

I've been to a couple of different Kia dealers several times. They resealed the windshield molding, and later replaced the entire molding. The noise persists, and I'm going to have to take it back in at some point.

I own a 2004.5 Spectra EX sedan. Has anyone else had similar issues?
  • rce1rce1 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2004 kia used yesterday. Drove fine. Today the check engine light comes on and I restarted the vehicle. It disappeared. But since then the car races in park and jumps forward while foot is on the brake. I will try to return tomorrow as I am supposed to pay balance then. I want no part of it and I am sure the dealer knew there was a problem.
  • rce1rce1 Member Posts: 2
    Heard all kinds of horror stories on kia not honoring their warranties. Bought additional aftermarket warranty with used kia. Had car one day and have huge problems. Spectra. Anyone know if i can return it after 2 days? Runs same as when I bought it except that after 50 miles of driving it has engine/transmission/other problems.
  • jmnappjmnapp Member Posts: 13
    Kia products are awful. As previously posted, my transmission went out at 1,400 miles....before I even made my fist payment. I wanted another vehicle but they refused, just replacing the transmission. I refused to have a brand new vehicle that already had to have the transmission replaced and traded it in the same day I picked it up from having the new transmission put in. Kia dealers and customer service were awful through the whole experience. I'll never by another Kia/Hyundai product again. My advice, get rid of the car! You'll only have more problems.
  • serge79serge79 Member Posts: 10
    I just tried a new 2006 Spectra today. It's brand new, but there's already a rattle in the dash and in the driver's door! I can't believe this. There is also a strange humming sounds coming from the front of the car. I'm really not impressed. The Spectra is supposed to be well built. I don't think I should go for the Spectra. Anyone has an opinion regarding this? I'm very dissapointed.
    A question to your question:

Did the dealer only have 1 Spectra in stock? By that I mean, did you drive any others? If 2 out of 3, 4 out of 5, etc. drove fine and rattle/hum free, perhaps the first one you drove was the exception. Just a thought.

My 2004.5 Spectra is hum and rattle free at 24k+ hard driven Michigan miles. Best (aka: trouble free) new car I've owned to date, and I'm over 40. :-)

For sure, you are going to read about some Spectras with problems on the various forums. Ditto for all the makes and models. It's the nature of the beast.

I just wouldn't write off the Spectra yet until you drive a couple of more.

-SM
This discussion has been closed.