Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    ghinson - Congratulations. You definitley have one unique Jeep in the Landrunner. For the rest of the time you own it, you'll be explaining to people that it's not a Hummer, plus you've got $50k extra in your pocket. Have a great time with it and gets some pics up. I'm curious where you bought it. I've only seen them at one dealership in the ATL area and didn't know how common they are elsewhere in the country.

60AEnut - where do we begin... Congratulations. As I type this, you probably finishing breakfast and getting ready to head to GA to pick up your new beauty. I was hoping I might be able to drive up to meet you, but work intervened. Have a great trip coming home and trust me, your jaw will hurt from smiling by the end of today!

cremaster - We've had the duster in a moderate rain and didn't have any problems with water pooling up. We had the rear area pretty well packed so the duster had a bit of a crown to it. If any water rolls in from this, I'd think it would run forward, hit the leading edge flap, dispurse to the sides and possibly drip behind the front seats on the outside edges. I try to keep any clothes or items I want to stay dry close to the rear door, since that area looks to be watertight. I'm glad the site has been useful to some people. For my cars, I like to keep a record of what gets done to them, so this time around, I figured I'd keep it all on the web since Jeepers seem to be really good at sharing info on their vehicles. I know I've been to literally hundreds of Jeep pages in the last 6 months and have learned a ton and picked up some really good suggestions. My pages are a way for me to remember what the heck I did and the issues I ran into. I hope the hard top stays in shape for you. You and your storage partner may want to see if you can make a shelf so you can store one on the ground and one on a shelf directly above it. I'd hate to hear that your brand new hardtop doesn't fit too well going into next winter. The GPS you got sounds really cool. I'm a gadget guy, and we're going to get an eTrex Vista for hiking, kayaking, and Jeeping, but it's not nearly as good at the driving piece. I'll have to check out the link you posted.

Happy Jeepin' all. See you at the chat this eve.

-twylie
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    "+Twilie...I got the Bestop non drill bikini. I did'nt install it yet. I will take your advise in getting 1" bolts before"

What WAS the 1" bolt advice again???
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    Nice list of options. But what is a Landrunner conversion? Congrats...and post some pictures.
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    Congrats to you too. I see she finally caved in. You're gonna love it. Looking forward to seeing some pictures from you too.
  • crazyjprcrazyjpr Member Posts: 8
    So the crazy jeeper is without wheels for the second day. I took my '00 TJ to a different dealer this time and asked that they fix everything I could find wrong with it. The list includes whatever made the 'check engine' light come on, leaking transfer case, dash lights that are out, problem with the transfer case shift mechanism, screwed up gas gauge and whatever else they find. Guess I'm just gonna suck it up and pay to keep having the thing fixed.

And since that's the case, I figure this is a good forum in which I can ask about some mods to this beaten-down beast. First off, I am in Syracuse NY, so you'll understand why I had to lose the 30" Wrangler GS-As when winter arrived. They absolutely stink in anything more than 4 or 5 inches of snow. So I went to Bridgestone Winter Duelers and they are phenomenal. But now I am back on my worn out GS-As. The question is this... Has anyone put 31x10.50R15 tires on a stock TJ Sport 4.0? The guys at Interco tell me that the Super Swampers in that size will rub all over the place. Has anyone put 31's on their TJ without a lift? I'm thinking of going with some bias belted Mickey Thompsons, and they do come in a 30", but I just can't help but think that a 31x10.50 would look a lot better in those wells.

Any suggestions? I know, you'll probably say "lift it!" and I am saving up for the $6000 to do it right... So that's coming some day. The crew at 4Wheel Parts in Colorado Springs is all ready for me to make the trip for my build-up. But for now, what are your thoughts? Stick with the 30s, or can I make the 31s fit? Maybe add a 1" body lift to fit 'em? Whaddya think?

And thanks for the support in dealing with the dealership's repair problems. I hope going to a new dealer (one who's actually 5-star) might help. We'll see.
    sasquatch - I know you're not actually asking that I repeat what is posted less than one page ago... take a little initiative.

Landrunner Conversions - http://www.landrunner.com & get on a fast connection, because the only info available is in Flash.

-twylie

Now I see. You put in 1" bolts to replace the ones supplied. I thought there was a reference to it on your page, and missed it in the text. My bad.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Now, everyone please get back to convincing/harassing me into buying a Wrangler.
  • VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    I found a jeep down in PA. It's a 90 wrangler islander, 112k, 4.2L , 3 tops, 2 sets of doors, ad, as, p., alloy wheels, air. He's asking 5 grand for it. I was wondering what you guys know about how much this should go for and if there is anything to watch out for if I buy it. Thanks, Dan
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Well, I've just been told that the Sahara that my dealer has on order for me won't be built until the first week in July! It was suppose to be here NOW! They told me two weeks ago that it was in the building stage!

The salesman says he can do a trade and get me one with everything I wanted plus the speed control that I didn't want for the invoice price of the one on order. Which means speed control will be thrown in for free. The hitch is, it's got 500 miles on it because it's been on a lot since February.

Is that too many miles? Should I wait for the one that's being built in July? Could use some advice!
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't know what the laws are in GA, but here in California, I think that any car over 700 miles is considered used (could be wrong about the mileage, but that's what sticks in my mind). I bought my Wrangler with 750 miles on it. I'm very happy with it but was not happy with the dealer. The presented it as a new car, and it wasn't - it was what they call an unwind. In other words, it had been sold but the person who bought it couldn't get financing, so the dealer took it back. I got a reasonable deal based on new car pricing ($300 over dealer's invoice), but had to force them to admit that it was an unwind. Since it was actually a used car by all definitions, I didn't get a good deal at all. On the other hand, I love it dearly, have 90,000 trouble free miles from it and am so happy I got some extras that I would not have otherwise bothered with. I would ask your dealer if it is an unwind (a possibility since it has that many miles) and then look at it from a used car point of view.

Recently I came close to buying a car with a really bad deal. I actually thought hard about accepting it because my other half really wanted that car. It was worth it to him to accept that horrible deal (4 year lease with a price based on $4,000 over MSRP). Do you want to wait or do you want to get something right now? The time difference won't make much difference when you come to sell the car, and the addition of cruise control might add to the worth of it later down the line. That isn't an issue for me, since I will probably drive my jeep for a couple of more years and put so many more miles on it that it'll be worth only bottom dollar (I couldn't trade in my '88 Nissan hardbody with 290,000 miles on it, but I sold it for $750 and the person who bought it had to tow it at least 30 miles because the transmission was blown, and he was not from one of the mountain communities!). I expect that I will do the same sort of thing with the Wrangler.
  • ghinsonghinson Member Posts: 36
    To answer some questions above:

"Nice mods, when are you going to use them?" In two weeks I am moving to Nantucket, where I will spend half my waking hours driving around the beaches there to surf fish. So I didn't get it to mud bog or rock crawl per se, but I'll be in some good sand and don't want to get stuck. There are some trails through the conservation areas there for some fun too.

"What kind of lift?" It's a 2 or 2.5" Rancho lift. The Landrunners can come with or without a lift.

"Where did I get it?" There's a dealer in Tifton, GA (far south) that had two. He was getting antsy to move them. In fact, if there's anyone else out there that wants one, I know where you can get a black one at true dealer cost.

For everyone else out there looking to get a new Jeep, I know of two dealers in the country selling two nearly new ones (<100 miles) at below what is normally dealer cost. Shipping would probably be less then $500. If you're interested let me know and I can give you the details.

Dual top rant--I spent the entire day with the salesman (nice but knows less about Jeeps then I do, and I've never had one) trying to get the soft top on and then the hard top back on. I tried to get them to get the manuals out, but I think the testosterone levels were a little higher then normal just standing around this thing. The hard top comes off easy. The soft top went up with some effort...VERY tight fit, but that's probably good. Then we tried to fold the soft top back to where it was and put the hard top back on. No way. You have to disassemble the soft top and remove it in order to use the hard top. Real pain to change tops. So in the future, I'll probably leave the hard top on 6 mos and the soft 6 mos.

Landrunner does have a GREAT safari roof rack that was not at all in the way of either installation. It leans back on shock-like things, like I think the Garvin one does.

Lastly, how do you post pics? I can give you links to ones similar to mine:

http://landrunnersocal.com/default.htm (the old Landrunner site without Flash)

http://www.radiosonline.com/quigley.htm

(scroll down until you see a yellow one, picture 33" Mickeys, a hard top, and a little lift and it will be mine)

Only had it for 3 hrs of daylight on the road; it gets some serious looks.

Greg

• saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Wow...Whatta Rush!!
    I have Tazz right here now!
    beautiful!!
    Cant beleive it...

thanks for all the congrats!!

Snut
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Way to go Saharanut! Happy for you.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Just wanted to add my congratulations to the board! Have fun!

Saharagal
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Glad you finally got that thing... now stop posting and get out there and enjoy it!!!
    Happy Jeepin'
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/jeepchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Yes you can fit 31's on a stock wrangler no problem... just don't disconnect your sway bar or you'll rub the front fenders. The reason they say the super swampers will rub is because they run bigger than other tires. Their 31's are truely 31' or even a little more whereas others are less than 31'. I've seen a guy driving with 33's on a stock TJ... don't recommend it but apparantly it can be done. I'd say go with the 31's if you're not going to do much off-roading or if you do just get extended bumpstops. $6,000 for a lift!!! WOW, what the world are you gonna get?? I'd love to hear what you're planning on putting on. Interco and Mickey Thompsons are good off-road tires (great actually) but if this jeep sees alot of road miles I'd suggest going with an M/T from Goodrich or the MTR's from Goodyear, that's what I have and they are great on road and excelent off-road, they lack just a bit in mud but are a great trail and rock tire. I'd love to hear what all you're planning to do.

Happy Jeepin'
    I tried. Apparently Edmunds doesn't like Macs. I tried on Netscape and IE, private message and reg. chat. I also emailed Todd. Did that get through? I am not on AOL.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Have you tried clearing your cache or refreshing stuff? I sent a message off so please try again and let us know what happens (specifics will help). Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    31's will fit no problem. Heres some pics of my stock Jeep with 31's.

http://www.homestead.com/jeepville/tonkajeep.html
    Tonkadave - I really like the looks of those BFG 31" tires. I have 2 questions - are they noisier than the GSA's? And second, do they make any difference with your odometer? Since I use my jeep during the winter as my commute vehicle, I don' t want real noisy tires, like the superswampers, or overly wide tires that won't grip through the snow. On the other hand, those BFG tires look like they would be far better off road (definite plus) but am concerned about the odometer reading. Much of where I go depends on accurate mileage call outs, since there aren't any road signs! Don't want to get lost because I changed the tires and my odometer readings are off! While the GSA's aren't the best at anything, I've found them to be a pretty good compromise for me.
    ...to Saharanut (what nut are you now?), ghinson, and the rest of you....

I think I really want a JEEP, but need to justify it for the gas mileage and safety. Have any of you put headers or open exhaust on your 4.0litre motor? What brand? How has this helped power and mileage? Same questions regarding camshaft...

TGIF!!!
    ...can't Honda make a truck, SUV, and topless SUV?

Just imagine, the fun of a Wrangler, with the quality of a Honda.

Maybe put in a 2.4 litre 4 banger with a good cam for torque, or a turbodiesel?

Yum!
    The BFG A/T KO is no doubt a superior tire to the GSA's. You can tell the difference immediately. The All Terrain Version which I have are very quiet. Im not sure about the odemeter and speedometer difference. If there is any im sure its minimal. I will be checking that out shortly at my father in laws' garage were they have a speed indicator for emissions testing. If there is any difference in odometer readings, it would be at a consistant rate so that you can calculate that into your averages. Dont forget that the factory speedometer may be off slightly as well. BFG also makes a Mud Terrain Tire which has a more aggressive tread pattern. Accordingly, it also makes some road noise. Since my driving is primarily street only. I opted for the All Terrains since they have better Rain performance than the M/T. I do like the look of the M/T better though.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    How come we're reading and posting messages during working hours?

Think we'll get fired?

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I wont tell if you wont.
    It's called lunch and break times...
  • nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    Is there a set up to keep dogs in the jeep when the top is down?
    I use lots of duct tape.
    You could tie a pork chop around Tonkadave's neck and make him sit in the back of your Jeep with the dog.

That's what his parents had to do to get the family dog to play with him, since he was such an ugly child.

tsjay

You could install one of those radio fences around the rail and put the collar on the dog. I bet you could convert one to 12V.
    You could just keep him belted in with a seat harness. I think most large pet supply stores sell them! Good luck!

Laura
    Hey, Terry, I got that little sign that I tried to fax to your dealer to show up in members photo gallery if you want to take a look.

I wish the stupid fax had gone through so you could have gotten it at the time you picked up your Jeep! I figured that would blow your mind to be handed that at the dealership when you were picking up that black beauty.

I'll bet you will be driving all over Alabama today in Tazz with the top down.

Once again, congratulations! I am so happy for you, Terry! You and I both suffered a long time with Wrangler Fever before we got the "cure."

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today? (What a silly question to ask you, huh?)
    They held a Beauty Contest in Tsjay's Town in Ky. recently..... Nobody won..
    Get back to work, or I'll tell your boss on you!

I'm off on Saturdays, ha ha ha!

tsjay

• lookin4saharalookin4sahara Member Posts: 53
    Hello everybody. I've been real busy lately and haven't had time to visit.

Man, you guys are posting like crazy.

twylie and tsjay, nice jeeps and websites....you guys are certainly dedicated jeepers.

Now for the needed opinions.....

First, what does everyone think of forest green w/camel interior (not a sahara)? I'm so so on the forest green. Ok, I know, why didn't I just order one in the color I really want last month. Well I'm trying to save a few bucks and get one slightly used. And to find one with just a softop in NY is a tall order.

Second, I've been doing some research on lockers, specifically slip differentials, and my findings have revealed that the Dana trac-loc is one of the weakest slip differential lockers on the market. I've heard everything from ok to junk and that the clutches will probably wear out around 50K miles, of course depending on driving habits and conditions. Goducks1, so far your suggestion of the detroit truetrac was right on target. Nothing but good reviews and comments. What do guys think? I also heard that etan (sp?) is coming out with a new slip differential soon.

Still huggin' my cherokee.......
    Hey, my friends, Old Tsjay won't be posting or chatting tonight, cause I'm goin' to the Busch race at the new speedway betweeen Louisville and Cincinnati.

I know that must break your hearts, but struggle along the best you can without me.

Somewhere on the way home after the race, Thelma Jane will hit the 10,000 mile mark on the odometer. And what a glorious 10,000 miles it has been!

Only mechanical/electrical problem has been that one incident with her blinkers not working.

Only fit/finish problems have been the small paint run on the right rear corner of the tub and the paint blister on the hard top. Hard top was repainted at DC's expense, and I didn't even worry about the paint run on the tub, since I preferred to keep the factory paint.

I AM TOTALLY, 100% SATISFIED WITH MY LITTLE GIRL!

She got 19.1 MPG on her last tank of gas, and has settled in at an average MPG of a little over 18!

I LOVE MY THELMA JANE!

tsjay

Hey, man, that forest green sounds good to me. I am the wrong one to respond, I guess, cause I like ALL the Jeep colors!

JUST GET ONE! You are missing out on so much fun by not having your Wrangler yet!

I think you are doing well by trying to get the soft top! Wish I had :(

Come on, now. Join the club! Get yourself a Jeep!

tsjay

I guess I'll try a 2 point tie down on Bart.(my dog) I'll secure two short leashes, one to each side roll bar meeting in the middle, that should hold him. He hates cats, don't know where he gets that from (insert evil grin here).

lookin4: Originally I wanted forest green, black was my second choice. When I saw Ciana (sp) It looked pretty good, I was buying a new one so choices were rather limited. I was ready to order one (this worked to my advantage) the only ones they had with the options I wanted were in yellow or white, I told him for the money I was going to have to shell out I wanted the color more to my liking. Then he "found" this one. The color goes well in the woods and "around town". Setting a fashion statement is not something I care about, I wanted a color that "blends in well". I got lucky in that the jeep I bought was the last one they had left over from a deal that was going on … buy the soft top get the hard top free, so I have both.

As for the rest of it, my warranty prohibits a lot of the major modifications people are talking about. Not that I care, it is fine the way it is…. for me anyway. If you, on the other hand, are looking at a used one so warranty restrictions won't be a problem. There is plenty of after market "kits" you can add to yours. I would get the most mechanically sound one you can find (the less time off road and city driving the better).
    Ned makes a good point about warranty. If you are looking for a low mileage, late model Jeep that still has some warranty left, you'd better get one without any mods.

Gotta get a shower and head for the race track. Just gave Ross Allen his bath.

c ya

tsjay

Have yoy hugged your Jeep today?
    I've finsihed the last change I wanted to make to the stereo system. I have already swapped out the speakers and noticed a difference, but today I installed foam baffles behind the front speakers. It made a significant improvement in the sound qualtiy. Much fuller and natural sounding. For anyone wanting to get a bit better sound for almost no money, I suggest the following: 1) stuff poly-fil in the soundbar (cost $5), and 2) buy some XTC foam baffles and install them behind the front speakers ($10). The baffles for the front might be a bit trickier if you have the stock speakers. You will probably have to apply the baffle to the back of the speaker frame with some type of silicone adhesive. If you go aftermarket, the baffles will sandwich between the speaker frame and the mounting plate. I'm very pleased with this cheap upgrade. Pics on my site.

Last night we dicided to take our chances that the line of storms wouldn't be as bad as the weatherman said they would. We learned two things...1) those guys are professionals, and 2) a bikini will NOT keep you dry in a heavy rain. We got soaked with the rain blowing in and running off the front edge of the bikini into the cokpit. Eventually, we stopped under an awning at a gas station and just laughed about it with the guy running the store. Good thing the Jeep is still marketed as having "wash out" capability. Aside from wet floormats, no damage done.

GORGEOUS top down day here. I hope 60AEnut got the hard top off TAZZ!

-twylie
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Lookin', I think the green/tan combo is the best possible. Of course, that's what I have on my sport, very traditional and of course I currently live in the Northwest, "land of the earth tones."

As for as the limited slips, the factory one is notso hotso but it's pretty reasonably priced and good enough for the likes of me. Like I said, the truetrac is better but can cost big $$ to get installed. Keep in mind if you order the factory limited-slip you can't easily change it out later, you're sort of stuck with it from what I understand it.
    We just switch tops. Now I am in the soft top "club". I am not going to put the windows in just yet (unless it rains). Sort of a long bikini top, if you will, donno if it will work or not (looks cool though). I haven't heard anywhere that you can't run the soft top like this, so I guess we will find out.

One thing I have discovered about these things is that they are a really good "all round vehicle" the way they are. My age is showing here. The more you modify them for "off road" the less desirable (I did NOT say unsafe… so don't say I did) they are for the street. Some of the ones I have seen over the years had to be hauled in a trailer to get them to where they could be driven. OK for some, not for me. I am not suggesting what anyone should or should not do… just thought I would bring this up for thought.

The more you modify them for "style'n" (believe it or not some people do) the more undesirable they are going to be "off road". Some where in there is resale value. The more you modify them the smaller the circle of buyers can get, if/when you decide sell it. It may even effect the "trade in value".

Just my .02
    ok.i'm trying to Get this hard top off..
    I think I have stripped one of the Torx bolts.
    the pasenger side at the back...
    WOW!! this has been HARD just getting the Torx bolts off!!

HELP ME PLEASE

Snut
    Terry
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Are you using a t40 tip on your ratchet? Trying to do it w/o one will strip it down...
    I was using the L-wrench that came with it..
    but I finally got it off..but I did stip it..
    can I get replacement bolts?

thanks ducks
    Snut
    We got all of them off by hand, after losenng them with the "wrench" supplied by jeep. They are long winded and there is some kind of coating on them but they still spun off.... are you doing this by yourself?
    Just did a fill up, still getting 18 mpg. Running with the windows out of the soft top, although cool, was rather noisy above 45 mph. it will do nicely though. When we put the windows on we discovered they are tinted (I am now rethinking my view point on soft tops).

I got 2 stout leashes, measured the distance to the windows and tied them to the bottom of the roll bars, this should hold Bart. I think he is going to like running with the top down and/or the windows out. The video instructions leave a lot to be desired, so it took a while but we got it.

I saw a hard top yesterday with a sun roof on it…. is this an option or do you have to do it yourself? We're gonna hit the freeway to see how much noisier the soft top is over the hard top (and see if this changes the gas milage). I can see I am going to have to invest in torque heads for my ratchet and some #$%* metric tools.
    yes I was doing in bymyself..
    my wife helped me get the top off..
    (gonna get a hoist for next time)

then we both worked on putting the soft top on.
    it will stay on though the summer..
    it was difficult..but we did it..
    But I Still love my Tazz..
    just gonna take some practice with the soft top

yes i've hugged my jeep today!

Snut (60AENut
    What did you mean by rethinking you view point on soft tops? Is that good or bad? I can't recall what you've said about soft tops in the past. Let us know what you think of them now. Please and thank you!

Saharagal