Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• r34r34 Posts: 178
    I think I got the same problem. I don't know how to describe the noise. It is between a popping noise and a creaking noise. However, I had my front brakes replaced and the rotors resurfaced/trimmed couple months ago. We got thunderstom couple days ago and I got this problem yesterday. Maybe it is due to excess water/vapour on the brake ? If the dealer didn't do the job right, I expected to have this problem earlier....Maybe my rear brakes or other brake components need to be fixed ??

I got my 2002 P5 used but there is still some warranty left on the car. The thing I don't like about the dealer is they charge me for checking things out. Last time I got the brake light (the handbrake one) turn on the dashboard and they charged me for checking the brake. They told me I need to replace the brakes. I didn't replace the brake at that time. I had them replaced the brakes later. They didn't reimburse me for the inspection because they needed to take the wheels out twice.

I may sell the car 2-4 months later.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Kenny said: I think I got the same problem. ... It is between a popping noise and a creaking noise. However, I had my front brakes replaced and the rotors resurfaced/trimmed couple months ago...I got my 2002 P5 used.
    Who replaced your brakes and resurfaced your rotors?

The thing I don't like about the dealer is they charge me for checking things ... They didn't reimburse me for the inspection because they needed to take the wheels out twice.
    How long have you been going to this dealer? Do you go to them exclusively or do you have your work done elsewhere also? Some dealers reward their "loyal" customers by offering free services, it would be hard to stay in business and do this all the time.
    I had the same dealer replaced the brakes and resurfaced the rotors. I still don't know what's wrong with the brakes.

I thought check the problem of the brake light was covered under warranty. Maybe it was just a regular inspection.

The other problem I found on the car was the window "got frozen" from inside in winter. Other cars in the same parking lot didn't have this problem. May the glass is too thin ??
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I'd have them check the speed sensor on the AT before replacing the entire thing. I recall that fixed one person's funky AT behavior.
  • fp75fp75 Posts: 4
    Here's the follow up on the transmission problems of my P5 '02:

25 March: transmission shifts erratically - leave with a dealer who tells me he will likely have to replace the transmission.
    28 March: dealer cannot contact Mazda Canada for warranty issues (I'm in CA with a car I bought new in Canada 37 months ago) so nothing happens.
    29 March: Mazda okays the transmission replacement under warranty. However the dealer cannot perform all the tests since they cannot find one piece of equipment.
    30 March: Perform the last tests and surprisingly, the transmission seems fine. Call Mazda technical service and they figure out the problem is the transmission's temperature sensor. Order the part. I will have to pay labor and part (250$), but not the diagnostic (270$).
    4 April: Get the new sensor, replace the old one. This fixed the old problem, but created a new one: now the transmission does not shift at the proper set point. Call Mazda technical service... still waiting for an answer.

Needless to say that I am not happy about the length of time it took them. This doesn't look very professional to me. Don't these guys realize that I bought that car in part because it was supposed to be trouble free? I will think about it twice next time...
    Needless to say that I am not happy about the length of time it took them. This doesn't look very professional to me. Don't these guys realize that I bought that car in part because it was supposed to be trouble free? I will think about it twice next time...

According to the schedule you posted it sounds like about 5 working days to solve the problem with the sensor. Do you think that the response time would have been better if you had not bought your vehicle out of the country? It's too bad that the problem did not occur a month before as it could have been covered under warranty. Who ended up paying for the $270 diagnostic: the dealer or Mazda? It sounds like they went halfway to come to a solution. Hopefully your dealer (is this "Mazda technical service"?) will straighten out the remaining problem swiftly.
  • fp75fp75 Posts: 4
    Follow up on my P5 '02 transmission problems.

After replacing the temperature sensor, the dealer noticed a new problem. The transmission would not shift properly, i.e. it would take too long to shift from one gear to the next. They ran a new series of test, and right now the conclusion is that after all this time (12 days so far) they will have to replace the entire transmission! The dealer needs to talk to Mazda to see if they will authorize the replacement, and who will pay for it since my warranty expired on Feb 28th (but the car is only 26000 miles). Assuming they can order the part today, the fastest I will get my car back is on April 15th, three full weeks after I left it at the dealer for repair. Having a Canadian car in the US added a couple extra days, but what took the longest is to get a solution after each diagnostic. Typically, the dealer did not know what to do and would have to call the Mazda tech line, and then wait 1 or 2 days for an answer. This is really annoying... Especially since the dealer told me from the start that he would likely need to replace the transmission.
    what took the longest is to get a solution after each diagnostic. Typically, the dealer did not know what to do and would have to call the Mazda tech line, and then wait 1 or 2 days for an answer. This is really annoying... Especially since the dealer told me from the start that he would likely need to replace the transmission.

Considering that you were so close to the end of your warranty period, it sounds like the dealer called the Mazda tech line each time to find out who would be paying for each of the repairs. In other words, if the dealer did not call you may have been stuck with the entire bill. Fingers crossed that Mazda does the right thing and covers the cost of your new transmission.

The warranty for my 2002 P5 will be coming to an end in May so I'm bringing the baby in for its full check at the end of the month to hopefully catch any last minute items under warranty. So far the car has been flawless.
  • kinoastkinoast Posts: 1
    alacat...

I know this message is a bit old, but did you ever get to the bottom of your low gas mileage in the P5? I just bought the exact same model/model year (used of course), an '03 Protege5 with Sport AT 4-speed AT, w/ 30k miles. My mileage has been (during the past month) around the same as yours was, 22-23 mpg, sometimes as low as 20 mpg, with mostly city driving, but some longer highway trips. Fairly disappointing. My mechanic checked out the car, put in new plugs, etc. and pronounced it very clean.

Did you ever get any help? Still have the car?

Thanks!
    Tommy

damianinla@yahoo.com
    My mileage has been (during the past month) around the same as yours was, 22-23 mpg, sometimes as low as 20 mpg, with mostly city driving, but some longer highway trips.

A simple test: a) fill up your tank, b) take a highway trip for no less than 100 miles, c) record the average speed you've been driving, d) after the trip fill up the tank again. Divide the miles you've driven ("b") by the gallons used in the second fillup ("d") and report the mpg your P5 used and your approximate speed driven ("c").
  • jyogi6jyogi6 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 mazda protage 5 that wont run in 1 2 or reverse butt will go into 3 4 5 and drive no noise coming from the trans that i can hear.the car ran fine last night the clutch seems to be working ok also it is also hard to put into 1 2 or reverse any help will do
  • cem1701cem1701 Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1996 protege. An error message was in the computer, the problem was identified and fixed. There is now nothing at all wrong with the vehicle. Problem is the error message is stuck in the computer. Once it was cleared, the computer will not link up with the emmisions testing computer in my state (PA). Now I am told that I need to replace the computer ($600+). I wanted to get my computer refurbished or perhaps get a one out of junked protege. I ended up being told by a refurbisher that he will not even deal with 96 protege computers because that was a bad year for their computers. Any insights anybody out there can lend me here would be appreciated. Or, if you know someplacce online that I can buy one, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Um, I think this post would do better in the Protege Problems & Solutions discussion. This discussion covers only the 2002 and 2003 Protege5 wagon.

Meade
    I brought the car to the dealer to check the braking noise. They told me they couldn't hear any noise from the brake but they heard some tire noise because the front tires are "choppy". They told me I need to replace the tires soon. I guess everything is ok for the brake and the noise was created by the tires. I hated those Dunlop tires.
    I don't know how to describe the noise. It is between a popping noise and a creaking noise ... I guess everything is ok for the brake and the noise was created by the tires. I hated those Dunlop tires ... I got my 2002 P5 used

Are these the stock Dunlops (5000 M), Kenny? It sounds like you had them at the end of their lifespan; any tire at that point would probably not shine. Mine have been good but their lifespan has been short; likely not going to last beyond this summer and 30,000 miles. Considering Toyo Proxes TPT are warrantied for twice as long and cost slightly more, I'm considering switching.
    they were stock tires. I guess I need to replace the tires or the car (to get more horse and safety features).
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    ... and the horsepower and safety features haven't changed since you bought the car, eh? So if you're upset with those, maybe you shouldn't blame the car for them since you were aware of those when you bought it?

What's wrong with the safety features, btw?

Meade
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    Take it from me-keep the car! Or at least be very certain before you trade it off. I traded mine off, then regreted it and got another one. There really is something about the Protege5...
  • pro5mohpro5moh Posts: 29
    Hi :

I had 24k Miles on my 03 Pro 5. Have a few questions..

1) Still on my OEM Tires.. One of my rear tires has blown up on the side wall.. so have to definitely change it.
    2) However, i was also suggested that i change all my four tires.. as they are near DEAD with the tread life.
    3) My Q is .. What is the typical life on the OE Tires(Dunlop SP 5000).
    4) Did anyone had Dunlop SP901 -- How good are they when it comes to MIleage.?

Please advise..
    Thanks!
    You're right to change all four. Otherwise, the ride and handling will be affected.

Many people have reported that their Dunlop Sport 5000 M (195/50/16-V rated) seem to last about 20K to 30K. So I'd say, yours are due for a change.

The Dunlop SP901 looks sharp. It's called an ultra high performance summer tire; to me that sounds fast but not long term. Performance and longterm mileage do not go together always.Check Tire Rack or Tire Trends for more information.

BTW, if you're thinking of upsizing to 17 inch rims, now would be a good time to do it, but get out your chequebook!

Personally, I am looking at 205/50/16 in Toyo Proxes TPT or BF Goodrich Traction T/A. They are both V rated and are warrantied for 100K kilometres (60K miles) so I'm hoping to stretch out the life of the tires, get some more rubber on the road and not break the bank..