Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Well, I've been a member of MBCA for over 30 years, and an owner for 37 years, and I can assure you there are plenty of people in the Club, and in the driving population at large, who disagree that MB is something to be avoided. I too am disappointed with what has been going on in Stuttgart, but the departure of Schrempp and the track record of his sucessor has me convinced that things will continue to get better.

I've owned EVERYTHING over the past 43 years - there is no question that Toyota and Honda do a better job of making trouble-free cars than any of the Germans. But drawing any distinctions among the German makes, including the all-too-self-satisfied BMW [I also belong to BMWCCA] is just foolish. They all make the same mistakes and all buy flawed parts from the same suppliers.

If you want a trouble-free ownership experience, you need to stick with the Japanese. I keep coming back to MB because of how the car behaves on the road. I give every potential owner the credit for the common sense to know what is most important to them, and act accordingly.
  • pepsivanillapepsivanilla Member Posts: 5
    I would note that BMW has surpassed Mercedes brand in units made and sold in the last count of such statistics.

I would also recommend that Consumer Reports be consulted so one can view their predicted reliability for cars. BMW surpasses Mercedes Benz across the board.

The suspension perch failures on W210 ( particularly diesel ) model cars is not a supplier problem, but a design flaw.

The issue is not even about trouble free, the issue is about dealer performance, access to quality service, and ability to have contact with Mercedes regional managers.

I don't know that there is much argument from the motoring press, private analysis by financial institutions and quality survey firms, that Mercedes brand cars presently under warranty, being leased or in dealer stock have quality issues.
    The problem is global and extends to Mercedes Credit Lending.
    ....by all means, buy something else. It's a free market, after all. There are so many great cars out there these days, that your money should go where you want it. (For me, the '02 C240 we are driving now is probably in the top 2 or 3 cars we've ever owned....and there have been 53 in all since I started driving in HS in 1962.)
  • steve777steve777 Member Posts: 41
    CDan anyine recogmmend a reasonble servicer in the Minnetonka/ST. Louis Park vicinity. Tired of paying top dollar to the dealershiop
  • tony24tony24 Member Posts: 15
    I agree with you. Thank you for writing your message. Hopefully, others are able to find your posting before their purchase. My 2002, C240 has been in the shop at least 20 times (probably more, stopped counting at 20) and it continues to give me problems. You might get some negative response to your posting but you must know that you are correct. I have met three people recently who are having problems with their MB. Yes, that might not be a lot but their Mercedes (03's and 04) are newer than mine.

Yes, I know a lot of people might say that they know friends who are not having problems and that is fine. You can post your message. That said, many of us are experiencing problems on our new MB. Also, I can not speak for other automakers so please do not compare this posting with any.

Anyway Thank you for your posting lets hope that it does help someone.....
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    does your state have a lemon law? you might want to look into it.
    Our '02 C240, produced in January of '02 in Bremen [about 18 months into production] has the following history:

-During our test drive, I noticed it needed a wheel alignment to correct pulling; this was accomplished in the first week, and the appt. to do it was part of the sales process.
    -Because our car had been unsold for nearly 6 months, and spent some time on a dirt lot, the vent tube in the differential got plugged, causing a leak. This was remedied with one visit.
    -During the most recent B service, I had them apply a TSB to our car that addressed bogus messages about ESP failures [the message appears, then is reset by an engine restart] - this was accomplished as part of the service visit.
    -I had them replace one of the horns - it was sounding like a bleating calf.

You decide for yourselves what this means, if anything, in the context of this discussion. Let's just say our last Toyota Camry had just as many problems, with more time getting worked on.

There were lots of early production W203s that were hopeless cases. There were lots more with a history like ours, which I regard as pretty normal for a car this complex. And the driving experience is just about the best we have had - the only better car we've owned was our '98 E320 in terms of how it behaves out there in the real world.

I think the new Lexus IS is significant competition, but issues already bubbling to the surface on the new E90 BMW 3er suggest that you aren't going to be home-free there, either. I was all set to order the RWD version of the BMW 3er wagon [due in our market in the Spring], but not after I've been following the stories of some of the early adapters of the new 3er. If I do it at all, it probably won't be for at least another year, to allow them to deal with the same kinds of problems that seem to affect all of the German makes when a new model comes out.
    Yeah, the countdown starts when the car's computer is first activated at the factory.

The build date is shown on the data plate on the doorjamb.

After the first service, the computer will be reset and then go from there. The dealer might be willing to reset yours now, since 4k is awfully early to dump the oil, though an early oil change never hurts. Talk to the dealer service people and see what they say.

Our car has the FSS system, and it is programmed for 2 years, plus monitoring the oil quality based on usage. In other words, when MBUSA was paying, going 2 years was considered OK for a low-mileage user with mostly freeway miles; now that the customer is paying, it's a maximum of 1 year. What a surprise....
  • pheimespheimes Member Posts: 7
    Thank You very much for your answer! I think I just go ahead with the service, getting ready for the winter. ;)
  • pjdonnellypjdonnelly Member Posts: 7
    well, the honeymoon is over. after 130,000 miles in 6+ years, this car is showing more wear than either my Camry or Accord ever did with thousands more miles. And it didn't just happen. let's see...
    2 or 3 dashboard lights went kablooey 3 years ago
    airflow direction selector for heat/AC is stuck on one setting and can't be changed
    AM radio reception is, and always has been, terrible
    6-CD changer in trunk went belly up a year ago
    front cup holder doesn't close
    LCD readout on radio doesn't work; only bottom half of numbers visible
    power headrests no longer work
    power moonroof slides when I tilt it and tilts when I slide it
    cruise control cuts off on a whim
    low fuel warning light blinks even after vapor lock is checked and reseated

Inquired about getting some of the minor glitches fixed but was told by the dealer tech that it might not be worth it - said that fixing the cupholder alone could run $300. No thanks. I'll play out the string with this car and then go back to Japanese.
  • mezecamezeca Member Posts: 66
    $300 for a cupholder? I think your dealer has lost their mind. I've replaced the one in my 97 202 for near nothing. My 97 has just turned 133,000 miles, and yes the water pump just failed. However, here is the growing list of problems on my Honda Accord that we've owned since 22k:
    Seats squeak badly.
    Excessive wind noise from all doors on the highway.
    Axle shaft boots splitting again, and one is starting to click bad in turns.
    UppleUpper joint boots are starting to split.
    Motor mounts have lost their touch.(The electronic one is supposedly $400 +labor)
    Transmission still shifts too hard.
    Speedometer needle is starting to bounce at freeway speeds.
    Brakes are still squeaking(dealer installed)
    Right rear window regulator broke.
    Steering wheel covering is seperating from the wheel itself.
    Clear coat paint is beginning to flake off.
    Cruise control stopped working years ago.
    Left rear door actuator makes this mysterious ratchet/groan every time car is locked. This car only has 60k on it.

My fathers 02 Toyota starter went out at 40k( car just went out of warranty)
    Cost: $550 for the part, two and half hours labor, plus towing.

My sister in-laws Toyota had the air bags deploy while parked, thank God she wasn't driving. And Toyota did not give a hoot! The dealer was absolutely useless, with the
    service mangager failing to return a single phone call. Toyota corporate never returned calls and would transfer the call to some "pseudo" persons voice mail at every attempt to contact someone regarding this matter. It took six months for Toyota to admit there was a design flaw and to finally fix the car.(new control unit and air bags).

Back to my 97 202. It still drives like new, no wind noise, no road noise, and typical German road manners. This CANNOT be said about the Accord. It 's driving dynamics and above mentioned noises on the road leave a lot to be desired. Is it reliable? Well, if you mean that it doesn't leave me stranded, then yes(except for the ignition igniter problem that left the car not wanting to start). But is has required more than it's share of up-keep.
    My 202 has also been very reliable(never stranded) and has had less maintenance work performed overall than the Accord.

This is why I went German again. Our 203 has been outstanding. It has had a total of 4 dealer visits in nearly two years. Once for it's scheduled A-service, and the rest was for 3 seperate tire repairs, all caused by nails. The dealer didn't even charge for repairing the tires.
  • rcallahanrcallahan Member Posts: 9
    I have a C230 and the 1 year mark is closing in. The 3rd party california "Insurance Policy" extended warranties scare me a bit with lack of coverage for this and that. Having said that the list price for the Mercedes is $3700. Seems a bit steep but 3 dealers have quoted the price and won't budge. Any luck??
    For the official MBUSA extended warranty, start with a phone call or e-mail to the F & I manager at the dealership in Chico CA [Courtesy Motors??] - look it up on the MBUSA website. In the past, they have always been the low-price leader for the extended warranty. I too am leery of any 3rd party warranties - I'm sure some are OK, but have no basis for knowing which ones.
  • cneffcneff Member Posts: 65
    Sorry about the trouble you went through, I do understand your pain.

I have had a few MBs and still do, for two main reasons. The cars drive to my liking and I have had very good service from both the dealers and MB HQ. I had a bad ML (I mean bad) and the dealer plus MB jumped in and eliminated the problem. Maybe I was lucky, but, I was impressed and picked up another MB (2004 C320 4matic wagon). FYI - MB called me back when I called.
    I know MBs can be painfully unreliable, but, I do have an extreme comparison that keeps me thinking it is not so bad. I have a 2003 Audi A4 3.0. It has been at 4 different dealers for a total of 150 days - after 2 years of fighting Audi they finally sent experts. Car still can't be fixed so Audi said I can go to another dealer. Audi has absolutely refused responsibility, no return calls and false promises (you can see my points on one of the related Audi boards). In fact, they have told me they are not responsible for their dealers behavior or repair ability often. And talk about trying to find someone to talk to, unless you are savvy with Google you won't find a human that is not just blowing smoke.
    I really like German cars, I've got fingers crossed hoping MB will keep up the service that I am used to.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    I currently drive a 2000 C230. Just passed 32,000 miles. Car is 5 and one-half years old. Other than routine maintenance, here are all the repairs:

(1) fuel tank sensor replaced (under warranty--apparently a common problem in ALL German cars)
    (2) both rear taillamp clusters replaced after smae bulb bulb went out 3 times (under warranty)
    (3) CD changer swapped with remanufactured unit (just under $350 installed--part not covered under Starmark extended warranty)

Now, I realize my mileage is low, but I for one think this is a good track record. This is my first Mercedes, after 13 years of driving Honda products (3 Accords and an Acura Legend). So far, I'd rate the Benz's reliability equal to the Legend's, and at least as good or better than the Accords'.

Believe me, I still like Hondas quite a bit. I could very well buy another one. There is just something satisfying about driving an M-B--especially on the open road (and I have the "economy" model).

If someone is wavering over what to buy, I tell them to consider what I call the "wow factor." Make a list of every single car you are interested in. Drive all of them, preferably over a long weekend so each is fresh in your memory. Finally, when you walk away from each "candidate," ask yourself "which one is the toughest to part with?" Or, when you see each vehicle on the road, ask yourself which one you would REALLY like to own--in other words, which one "wows" you the most. Not the most scientific or "Consumer Reports" method, but it worked for me.

Needless to say, if you are contemplating buying a pre-owned M-B, make sure you can check ALL service records. Also keep in mind that EVERY manufacturer--particularly of luxury cars--is expected to provide more and more electronic gadgetry while keeping prices steady. More complication obviously results in more potential for repair. I believe the Japanese still have an edge over the Europeans in reliability of electronics. However, I think M-B still (with a few exceptions) has an edge in body structure, drivetrains, suspensions, brakes and steering. These "hard" parts have a stoutness that I just don't think you find elsewhere, lending to a feeling of security, whether you are a driver or a passenger.

The nice problem for enthusiasts is that there are a lot of really good vehicles out there today, so choosing one is never easy. I hope this helps.

Best of luck--
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    I have repeat brake light bulb failures on my 1998 C230 sedan. Have replaced the left side brake light bulb 4 times. Recently replaced the light holder/bulb ......bulb failed again! :confuse:

Any ideas would be appreciated. I will look at the brake light switch soonest opportunity......is there any other component that could cause this repeat problem?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    we've had the same problem on our 2002 C240. Dunno if there is a permanent fix.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Hello

First off, I am very new to Mercedes Benz, having purchased my first one earlier this evening. It is a 2001 C240 with 66,700 miles, and with one exception, looks and feels like a brand-new car.

The one problem (which at the price I paid, I cannot really complain about), is the ESP malfunction indicator on the multifunction display came on, and won't go off. When I evaluated and selected the car everything showed normal, but 20 miles after taking delivery (this is a 5-year-old car with no warranty) the ESP malfunction indicator came on, telling me to go to the dealer (expensive).

Honestly, I don't care much about fancy traction control systems here in sunny Southern California, is there a way to either just disable the system or at least turn off the malfunction warning so it isn't in my face every time I turn on the car? I have the complete service history of the car and it had electrical repairs three times prior to 25,000 miles, but none after.
    Well, I would have counseled you to never buy this car without some kind of warranty, even for a period as short as 30 days. This is an example of why.

There is a well known problem that results in bogus ESP messages. It involves replacing a wiring harness and adding some new gold connectors, the old versions of which were subject to corrosion. I just had this work done on our '02 C240; there is a Tech Bulletin out that covers this.

Look to the specifics of the "electrical repairs" and see if any attempt was made to update your car.

ESP malfunctions will not necessarily disable traction control. TC is a lower level function than ESP, which is designed to help get you out of extreme road situations where the car is about to go out of control due to excessive steering or throttle inputs [oversteer in a turn, combined with loss of traction, for example]. It is a safety feature that MB helped invent, and which is widely sought after these days in lesser makes. I wouldn't exactly describe it as a "frill", and it could save your bacon just as easily in SoCal as in Minnesota.

You have to do what you have to do, but I caution people against buying these cars used if you're not prepared to spend money on maintenance - and this advice applies to EVERY "upscale" make, including Lexus and Acura and Infiniti, all of which are allegedly less troublesome than the Germans. Once you get out of the warranty, things will go wrong and they have to be fixed, and it's expensive. In this case, I think there is a known solution, but you say you're reluctant to spend the money - that's legit, but this won't be the last time....be prepared.
  • bacchusbacchus Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2000 C230 from a Landrover dealer in southern CA. When I turn my car on I see a double wrench icon with a -424. I assume this means that I am due for service. The Landrover dealer I bought the car from said it did a complete service check (with oil change) before I drove it off the lot and the reason for the indicator is because they are not a MB dealer and can not reset. Is there a way to reset the wrenches or does a double wrench mean something more serious than an oil change? Thanks!
  • charlesmcharlesm Member Posts: 1
    Hi: Although I would not recommend that you drive with a faulty ESP, it could be dangerous, even in sunny Cal. It may not be the problem. I just got a MB trouble code reader and reset tool. You can get them on ebay for about $50. It will give you a diagnostic of what is wrong. And you'll be able to reset the warning..Then take it to someone who can fix it.. Everything for a Merc is expensive unfortunately... but its worth it.. I'm looking for a service light reset tool now. Merc want 400 Euro here for an A service (plus parts)..
    Yes, the symbol is counting down to the required service. To reset it, you need the proper instructions, and any good MB shop knows how to do it. You presumably plan to have the car serviced somewhere, whether at a dealer or an independent - take it to them, tell them you need it reset, and promise to be back when the car needs its next service. The charge will be zero or minimal, and you can judge if this is a place that should get your business.
    Stragely, the warning went off after another day of driving, and has not returned after 1,100 miles. I've since had a warning to check the right front marker lamp, which went away when I restarted the car, and a check engine light that went off after I refueled.

The check engine light I am not worried about, as the fuel tank was low and the light came on after a panic stop from 85MPH on a 6% downgrade. The freeway in front of me was closed suddenly due to a fatality accident and after coming to a screaching halt (extremely smooth and undramatic, by the way), the car sat for two hours on the downgrade waiting for the freeway to reopen, at whcih time I had the check engine light (car was shut off until the freeway opened). I tried openeing and closing the gas cap but to no avail, called the roadside assistance and they suggested adding fuel.

So far I love the car, it is the most comfortable and quiet cruiser I've ever driven, just nervous about electrical gremlins that these are famous for.

I do have one gremlin that the selling dealer (not MB) will cover repair of and that is that the sunshade in the back window doesn't work about 60% of the time. Sometimes I push the dash button and it works perfectly, sometimes it does absolutely nothing. I'll have this checked in 3,000 miles when I take the car to MB for my A service. Hopefully they can explain the ESP warning and other messages at that time.

My car's service history shows two electrical system services at 18,000 and 25,000 miles, so obviously this has occured before.
    I would not be surprised to learn that the wiring harness upgrade has not been accomplished on this car....these kind of seemingly random electronic "events" can be a symptom of this problem.

I've owned dozens of cars in my time, and our '02 C240 is our 14th MB - and there is nothing else out there at anything like the price that I would want more. Ours has been reasonably trouble-free - the wiring fix was the only thing that smelled like the ubiquitous electronic problems that so many people have had. In our case, the ESP messages could always be reset by shutting the engine off and restarting, and it only happened a few times, but twice in the last year so I told them to get out the Service Bulletin and apply the standard fix. No problems since.
  • jjlarcijjlarci Member Posts: 1
    After looking at MB's c230's and BMW's 325i's for 2006 and reading your message boards for problems on these cars. I like to ask which vehicle you recommend?. I know MB changed the engine to a 6cyl and MB is partly owned by Chrysler does this also impact my decision? If i sound like a dummy so be it but I like your expert opinion.
    thanks
    The Chrysler connection is irrelevant [in any case, Daimler bought Chrysler, not the other way around - Chrysler is now technically a German company].

For this model year, and assuming you're talking about automatic transmission cars, it is almost a straight wash. The BMW is in its first year, and there are the usual list of first-year problems, though none of them are especially serious so far. The MB is in its 6th [and next-to-last] model year, though the drivetrains are heavily revised as of this year. The BMW handles better, the ride is probably a wash, and the MB has a bit more room in the cabin and the trunk. BMW has gone exclusively to run-flat tires, which for a variety of reasons I am unhappy about [expensive to replace, can't be fixed if you actually USE the run-flat feature]. MB has the worse reputation for problems, but that is mostly old news and simply doesn't apply to the current year car - the E90 BMW is in its first 9 months, and there are some teething problems.

If you want a manual trans, then I would probably go with the 325; by a small margin, I think their manual box is better.

Also keep in mind that the C230 comes standard with the so-called sports package, which is extra on the 325. That's why, for me, the car to have is the non-sports C280, not the C230, but to each their own. I think the sports package is nothing but problems - ride compromised, staggered tire sizes, unidirectional tires - but again, it's whatever your priorities are.

You'll hear a lot of bad-mouthing here about the C; I think the '06 version of the C matches up very nicely with the 3er. It comes down to how important that last bit of handling and "sportiness" of the BMW is to you vs the better refinement and slightly more room of the MB. And, what you think of the local dealers - this can easily be the tie-breaker is all else is equal in your mind - whichever one you pick, these cars are German, not Japanese, thus you and the dealer are inevitably going to spend some time together after the sale. I've had mostly good service from the MB dealerships I've dealt with [MB Sacramento, Reno, and Portland OR for our current car]; my history with BMW, which goes back a few years, was less good. It all depends on who's better in your market, and that's a hard thing to know in advance...
    Is this wiring harness TSP something that would be a free fix even after the factory warranty runs out? My car had two electrical system repairs while under warranty, so I'm wondering if I can get Mercedes to do the wiring harness upgrade on their dime when I bring it in for my A service in 3,000 miles.
    Don't know - and I wouldn't wait. More time means a better reason for them to say no.

Technically, once out of warranty, you're out of luck, but dealers have the power to make these decisions, within reason. It's going to be up to you to make someone see reason, assuming this is the problem, of course.

It's a Service Bulletin, or a Service Campaign, or words to that effect....mention the ESP messages as the primary symptom. Because ESP is a safety feature, you may get more consideration out of warranty.
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    I'd go along with jrct9454 for the most part. It depends what's most important to you, but I don't think your comparison is apt. The MB C280 would trump the BMW 325i in my mind; but the 325i would trump the C230. The C280 is meant, I think, to be a competitor to the 325i (the C350 would compare to the 330i).

There are a few other things that weren't mentioned that are important to me. I believe the C280 is 3.5" narrower than the 325i - although that may have changed. I live in an urban area, and stuff like that is important to me. In addition the C280 has a slightly narrower turning radius; albeit not significant. I like to be able to make sharp turns.

These are subtleties, though.
  • rayk5rayk5 Member Posts: 1
    WITH HEADLAMPS ON...PREFERABLY 6FT. FROM A WALL,LIFT HOOD,AT THE BACK OF EACH LAMP HOUSING,YOU SHOULD SEEAN ADJUSTING SCREW...RATHER LIKE THAT OF A TOOTHPASTE CAP..THIS WILL ALTER HEIGHT UP/DOWN MANUALLY
  • kcap67kcap67 Member Posts: 2
    I had a new battery installed, code doesn't work. My mechanic contacted Mercedes...got "another" code and still doesn't work. Mechanic tells me it will take 1/2 day to remove/re-install radio in order for them to get serial # of radio to give to dealer for yet another code. No radio for 3 weeks now...anyone have this problem? Any advice other than paying $65/hr for 5 hrs to remove radio/re-install????
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    That amount of time to remove the radio is insane. The unit slips out of the dashboard after insertion of removal 'keys' into a few slots around the radio. From what I understand the unit can be out of the vehicle in about 5 minutes.

Try someone else for the job as this does not make any sense at all.

JR
  • mwrogers1mwrogers1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 c240 sedan with 82,000 miles. Recently got a couple warning messages about "excessive oil level." Car was being driven on level ground. The message appeared briefly and then went away. Had an oil change a month ago. Similarly, over the summer I got a warning message once-in-awhile that said "check coolant level." I did and the level was fine each time I checked. Is the same defective sensor involved?
  • drumdrum Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone experienced a slipping between the first, second and third shifts with this transmission? I find it very annoying and the dealer has tried a softward update so far without success...any ideas? Dealer has said it might be necessary to replace the valve body...
  • drumdrum Member Posts: 4
    I had these kind of electronic message errors on my 2001 and the dealer said it was due to faulty sensors and finally replaced the offending sensors with success. Since there is no dip stick it is not possible to check the oil level yourself!
  • cygnuscygnus Member Posts: 1
    This happened with our 2002 C240 when it was still under warranty. The dealer replaced what he called the "climate control module" and the problem has not recurred.
    This bulletin to replace the ESP connectors is relatively inexpensive . The parts are probably less than $20 and the labor is one and a half hours at the most.
    Actuall, you can. If you use the arrow buttons, scroll one time after you reach the service idicator screen. It will measure the oil level for you, and say if the oil is okay, or under or overfilled.
    My left headlight went out Friday night, so I took it to get a new bulb on Saturday morning and that didn't fix it. Went to the local MB dealer who fiddled with it and determined that I need a new computer module at $350 to get my headlight back.
  • kcap67kcap67 Member Posts: 2
    THANK YOU!!! Saved me $$$.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I am very glad to hear that. I can't stand the 'rip-offs' that are so often perpetrated on the public by some shops.

JR
  • 97c280s97c280s Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem in my 97 c280 sport. The car had only 55,000mile though. I am looking at a new trans or a control unit. Mercedes should last longer than a honda or does it?
  • mbz66mbz66 Member Posts: 9
    We have similar foul odor problem from A/C vents. Our car is 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, purchased in May 2004 from MB dealer at Buena Park (CA).

The foul odor usually occurred within 15 to 30 minutes after there was a mode change in A/C operation - from OFF to ON, or vice versa.

In August 2005, the dealer replaced the A/C evaporator unit with a new one, coated with Biocide. After two weeks, the odor problem came back.

We have written to both the dealer and MBUSA. However, there has been no response from MBUSA. The dealer called and left message: "bring the car and we'll see what we can do".

The dealer did not offer any clues what they'd do to address the odor problem.

If other readers have had the A/C foul odor problem solved, we'd appreciate it if you can share your success stories.
  • al240al240 Member Posts: 2
    I recently got a message"under voltage consumer defective" with a battery display. I took the car to the dealer and he replaced the battery, under waranty.I drove the car home and 30' on the road I got the same message again.Now back to the dealer. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • al240al240 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002, C240 and got the same message.The dealer replaced the battery. Picked up the car,few miles later I got the same message.Now back to the dealer.What was your solution ,if any?
  • tony24tony24 Member Posts: 15
    My c240 also had the odor problem and the dealer did the following A/C system wynn's Ultrasonic cleaning. I do not know if that will fix the problem because this is my second time with the odor issue. This is seems to be common problem with these cars from the articles that I have read. I am aware that the statement "common problem" is not a scientific conclusion but a mercedes benz should not have such a foul odor.
    Regards
  • ka7tjoka7tjo Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE A 2000 C230 KOMPRESSOR THAT I HAVE HAD FOR ABOUT 8 MONTHS AND WHEN I FIRST GOT IT IT SEEMED A LITTLE GUTLESS ON THE BOTTOM END BUT AFTER A LONG TRIP I TOOK SOME WHERE ALONG THE ROAD IT ALL OF A SUDDEN STARTED TO RUN LIKE IT SHOULD. A WEEK AGO THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON BECAUSE THE GAS TANK SENSOR WENT BAD AND I HAD IT REPLACED. AT THIS POINT I NOTICED I HAD NO POWER ON THE LOWER END LIKE THE KOMPRESSOR WAS NOT WORKING AGAIN. ANY BODY HAVE ANY IDEAS? DON'T THINK THE SENSOR HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. HOW DO YOU CHECK THE COMPRESSOR?
  • cdurstcdurst Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2003 C240 that has a ticking when we acellerate. (Sounds like a card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel.) It does not do it all the time. The dealer did some work on the lifters and cam (Starmark warranty) but it seems to still do it after driving for some time. Any suggestions. Thank you.
  • jensbenzjensbenz Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced a low grunting-whining noise from steering? (sounds like "wurrr-wurrr" when the wheel is turned)It has been extremely cold and I'm wondering if this is the cause as the noise started occuring soon after the drop in temp. The steering function has not been comprimised. Is this normal?
    Check the level of the power steering fluid. Consult the owner's manual for location and what to look for. Otherwise, a leaking steering rack?
This discussion has been closed.