Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jensbenzjensbenz Member Posts: 2
    I'll check it out and let you know what I find. Thanks!
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    I had the same problem on my 2001 C240. It was a leaking hose in the power stearing system (low fluid level). Once the hose was replaced and the fluid topped off the sound went away and the steering feel returned to normal.
  • tony24tony24 Member Posts: 15
    My C240 had a problem with noise from the steering this year. The service advisor stated the following "a shield had to be put back in place".
    Regards,
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    have a 95 C220, with 48K on it. When I apply the brakes, the abs sensor light comes
    on and pulsates. It goes out when the pedal is released. It does not light up constantly.
    Any clues as to what this may be? I can't find anything specific about it in the owner's
    manual. thank you.
    Anyone else have this problem, and more importantly, a solution? I can often be driving in 70~80 degree weather and the temperature is reported fairly accurately, but once I hit traffic, it will sometimes shoot up to over 145 degree f.

It will gradually go back down, but not all the way, usually staying in the mid 90s.

If this only affected the display I wouldn't care, but it seems to be linked to the climate control as when the reading shoots up like that the AC comes on.

If the only solution is an expensive MB service visit I'll just use the climate control on manual and replace the temp display with speed, but if there is some cheap sensor I can replace myself that would be best.

Andrew
    Anyone know where to get a decent shop manual for the current-generation C-class? I've seen them for the older models and the E-class, but none for the 01-06 C.

This would be a real money saver for little annoyances that aren't worth expensive dealer visits.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    To my knowledge, there is no hardcopy manual available for the W203-- yet. You can check by going to a website like Autobooks, if you haven't already done an internet search. I don't think that the traditional publishers, like Clymer and Haynes, have done anything for the US market W203.

MBUSA offers only CD-based manuals these days, and not at all while a current model is still in warranty status. You should keep checking back with their website, as well, as the traditional "moratorium" period on the current C should end soon.
  • dvavvasdvavvas Member Posts: 11
    I had this problem once in my 2003 c320. I turned off the engine. started from standstill, and spineed the car for 10-20 yards. Came to standstill. Problem was solved. I think that some of these electronics problems are easily solved with build in reset procedures. For example, some time the windows will not move all the way up or down. In that case hold the window button up or down for 30 sec and that will reset the system
    Some times the odor is due to accumulated rotten leaves in the area betwween the windshield and the engine compartment, especially if you have humidity in the area you leave. is nothing to worry about
    My father has an E class and had a minor bump in the front left fog lamp. Behind that there is the temparuture sensor. It was moved from its correct location and would behave as your does because it will recieve hot air form the engine compartment. When you are driving at higher speed fresh air will come and measure again correctly. So check the positioning of your temperature sensor
    For you rwindows, raise them all the way up or down and hold the button for 30 sec. That will reset the system and then you should be OK. I had this happened twice in my car and the problem was solved. Some times you have to do the reset process for both the up and own function
    Where should the sensor be on a C-class?
    Same place - it's a "nipple" that can be seen near the right front fog lamp, front bumper, low. If the lamp has been messed with, it can cause reading problems, or if it's been knocked externally for any reason....or it could just have failed....
    Right side as in when sitting in the car (passenger side in USA) or right when standing in front of the car looking back at it?

Andrew
  • tony24tony24 Member Posts: 15
    That is the same suggestion my service person had but I had to remind him that we don't live in an area where leaves fall. Also, if that was the case my other car would have the same odor. Thus, he then admitted that these cars MB C240 do have the odor problem.
    Regards,
    Don't mortgage your house on this, but I believe it's the right, as in passenger's, side.

My recollection is that this is hard to miss, but our car is several floors below me as I write this, in our condo garage, so I can't immediately verify it. I thought this was mentioned in the owner's manual somewhere, but I may have imagined that.

Anyway, the external sensor is indeed subject to damage. However, it has absolutely no effect on what is happening with the climate control in the car - that sensor resides in the overhead console, and has no connection whatever to the external temp reading.
    I am not positive for the C-class but on the E it is driver's side. Any case check them both.
    you may be right. However do check the area between the windshield and engine compartment to make sure that there is nothing of any sort that may be giving the odor. In addition do check the cabin filter which is on top of the battery. The battery on these cars is top left as you look at the engine compartment form the front of the car. You will see the positive pole of the batterry and then a black box. That is the cabin particulate filter. Open it and inspect it. In addition, do you have the upgrade airconditioning package or the standard of the c240. If you have the upgraded one (the one that is standard on the c320 and has the alphaneumeric digital readout) then your car must also have the activated charcoal filter. If that is operational most of the time the system cannot absorb humidity as well and you may have a funny odor. As a last resort I would suggest you to put in the car a small open container with baking soda. That should absorb odors that have become "residents" in your car.
    Hoep this is helpful
  • cdurstcdurst Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2003 C240 and get a "flutter" type noise when we accelerate. It is louder after driving for some time. It has 66,500 miles. On December 16 the dealer did this:
    Cam rocker arms worn locate noise r/r lt and rt valve covers r/r lt and rt camshafts inspect condition ok replace lt and rt set of rocker arms and lifters.
    The problem still exists. Any suggestions or other owners with this situation.
    Thankyou.
    is it only when you accelerate? Do you hear it at idle ? If it is ticking it could be the purge valve, which besides beeing annoying, is of no significance
    Thank you, it was the nipple-thing on the passenger side. Five minutes with the car on a lift and the sensor is back where it belongs and reading accurately.
    Thankyou for your response. We don't think the ticking is at idle and is only when we accelerate. It is much louder after we have been driving for a while.
    The service advisor did say something about them putting silencers(?) on a purging something or other by the frame, etc. We know nothing about cars but it was probably the purge valve like you said. I don't see anything on the work order that says purge valve, he told me this on the phone.
    If it is the purge valve, would it get louder after driving for some time? Like you mentioned, it is really annoying especially for a Mercedes that sounds like a diesel when accelerating. Any Suggestions?
    Thanks again for your time.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I had the purge valve issue and it was noticeable at almost all times. Sometimes not at all but usually as things warmed up it got more noticeable.

It's a simple fix.

JR
    The purge valve is relatively easy to fix and the actual part is cheap (40$). Sound does get louder after driving. It may be more noticable at colder temperatures. It is also posible that the PCV valve (positive crankcase Valve) is at fault. Some people call it also purge control valve, but that is not accurate terminology. Also an easy fix. (in theory you can replase them both yourself). Other things that can make flatter type noise under acceleration, may be loose belts and fans, or leaves or other things that are stuck somewhere. More serious engine things could be maladjusted valves. That is difficult to happen because in these cars valves are auto adjusting. Also do try to use for couple of tanks, gasoline form another Brand name gas-station to make sure they are not selling things they should not. I usually find that AMoco(BP) Ultimate is the smoothest running gasoline, next to Mobil, Hess and Shell.
    The outside temperature information actually does interface with the inside temperature control! It uses outside temperature information to decide how much power it should use and if it is going to go into recirculation mode to concerve energy and cool faster!
    Which is why the AC used to kick in even when it was cold outside if the sensor was reading 145 degrees f. My sensor is fixed so hopefully that shouldn't happen anymore.
    Thankyou for the prompt response. I will give this info to my service advisor and see where we go from here. I will keep everyone in the loop for future inquires.
    Thanks again.
    In addition I forgot to mention that exhaust system problems can give you these fluttering noiss. Loose attachments, pierced,broken exhaust pipes.that sort of thing
    Hope good luck
    Thanks again. It sounds like the purge valve because it does get louder after driving and it just started doing it the last month or so when it got colder.(Especially at night)
    We'll let you know. Sincerely.
  • browniejbrowniej Member Posts: 2
    i have the same problem with something discharging the battery. it turn out to be the driver side power seat control moduel. cost 300.00 for parts and 2 hr labor inclued trouble shoot and installation. total 500.00. its been one week now, i will cross my finger for the problem not going to come back.
  • gerstchgerstch Member Posts: 9
    Hi, hoping someone can help.... I have a 2005 C55 AMG and today started up the car and noticed all my speakers are completely distorted, all sound like when you "blow them" like when you turn them up too high. Checked the fader and balance and all of them are distorted -
    front/middle/back/left/right/bass/tweeters.

About 2 months ago I noticed the left front base - door - speaker was blown and was just going to go to an audio shop to get that pair replaced when this happened.
    I never turn the radio up beyond normal "speech" levels and no other problems except a SRS airbag sensor warning that I am getting fixed in a week.

Any ideas? Is this a warrenty issue? Do you think they will try to weasel out of this and say I turned up the radio too high? I have the nav system with the upgrade audo by the way.

Thanks for any advice!
    They may not be "blown" - remember that the connections here are handled by a fiber-optic bus - all the more reason to take it to a dealer and get a proper diagnosis. Yes, it should be covered under warranty, assuming you haven't hit the 50k mark.

When you take it in, avoid talking at ALL about volumes and blown speakers - just focus on the distortion and tell them to fix it. I am predicting that it is in the "network", not an actual speaker problem. Let us know what they find...
  • gerstchgerstch Member Posts: 9
    Good advice - it wasn't the speakers at all - I jumped in my car this morning and much to my surprise they all sound great again - including the one that sounded bad for two months. I don't know much about audio systems anymore, but it is strange that the problem would come on and then go away completely like that (at least strange to me!)
    Really weird. I'll see if it happens again and if so will have them look at it when it is in the shop next week.
    The fact that the speakers sound good again proves that it is an electronic issue rather than a mechanical (speakers) one.
  • neskierneskier Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 C-240 with manual transmission. The car has been great for all 115K miles so far (lots of highway driving). It has never let me down with handling, emergency stops, starting, etc. However, I have developed a couple of small problems.

My Current problems:

1. AC Vents. The Vent control system seems to have a mind of its own at start up and fluctuates between floor and defrost about 7 times and then settles wherever it feels like that day. Usually it settles towards the defrost vents and then forces my feet to freeze. Trying to manually adjust the vent position (turn off "Auto" and using the right control knob, works for all positions but the floor vents. Rarely, I can trick it to opening the floor vents and then I keep it that way. I suspect an intermittently working vent opening actuator or something? I could just imagine the smile on the service advisor's face when he tells me how much diagnostics alone could cost so I am trying to avoid that at this point.

2. I have noticed "thumping" noises coming from the front suspension. I used to think it was the sway bar links, but I had them replaced and that did not solve the problem. It sounds like maybe the control arm ball joint linkages or something is loose? I would imagine every high mileage C has this problem?

Otherwise the car has been good. I have noticed that bulbs do get used up quite quickly, but replacing a $3 bulb every year or so is no big deal. Just don't pay MB $60 to do it!

I would appreciate any help on the AC Vent issue. It is an interesting one!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    that since I became aware of the C230 a few weeks ago & "subscribed" to a couple of C forums, that this one is quite active, even relative to the 20 or so others I monitor.

This is NOT a good thing.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    You aren't kidding. I bought kmy 2001 C240 a little over a month ago and have replaced both headlamp bulbs, both brakelight bulbs (one went out, the other had a dark spot on it) and both side marker lights. I'm just happy that I've not replaced the same bulb twice, so I'll challk it up to this car just going through them quickly.

Electrical gremlins seem par for the course with the C, at least the 2001 models, but otherwise this is simply an amazing car to drive.
  • browniejbrowniej Member Posts: 2
    I found out when my 2001 c240 25k have a whining noise when the engine is cold, after it warm up, the noise will go away.I live in hawaii,so it is no freezing cold. any solution?
  • c230komc230kom Member Posts: 1
    hey i was wondering how i could make my 03' c230 kompressor faster than what it is ???
  • mejiamejiamejiamejia Member Posts: 1
    I need to install the Contact Piece # a 170 460 01 49 which contains the sensors for the driver SRS and the horn.
    I could not remove totally the cover under the dashboard to connect the two electrical cables that control the sensors.
    The AC vent issue happened to mine while 1 year old. it is a broken actuator. It was under warranty and i got charged nothing. Basically, the actuator is broken and the computer program tries several times to open it, It defaults to the defrost. I do not know how much they will charge for you outside the warranty. Most of the cost is LAbor, the actuator is reallly cheap.
  • ka7tjoka7tjo Member Posts: 4
    TWO QUESTIONS. WAS THE SERVICE BULLETIN FOR THE C-240 OR THE C-230 OR WOULD IT PERTAIN TO BOTH? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT NUMBERS I WOULD FIND IT UNDER AT MB? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. RON
    I don't know if it applies to both, but I'll see what I can find out. There is another site, which I'm not allowed to reference here, where the answer may be found. I'll be back later.....
    THANKS. DO YOU HAVE ANY NUMBER FROM GETTING YOUR C240 DONE? THAT MAY HELP ME FIGURE WHICH HARNESS THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. THANKS
    The service records for our car are in the car, which is 4 floors below me in our condo garage. I'll try to get the info when I go down for the mail later...
    The Service Bulletin is P-C-42.45.23F - the codes set should be C1140 and/or C1145. The bulletin involves a wiring harness update, with two sets of parts listed:

1 each part number 203-540-47-33 Cable, and
    3 each part number 001-546-99-41 Cable Connectors.

These are applied to the ESP Control Module.

The dealer who did the work had to order the connectors, which were delivered overnight by the parts distributor.

As far as I can tell, this applies to all '01 and '02 Cs.
    THIS SHOULD HELP A BUNCH. THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR TIME AND ENERGY GOING DOWN STAIRS FOR THE INFO. AGAIN THANKS RON
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    I have a new '06 C-230 w/6 cylinder engine. Car has all the goodies that I wanted except zenon headlights. What is best brand of headlight bulbs I can install?
  • bostonjakebostonjake Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 2005 C320 all wheel with nav -- the audio system completely dies every month or so for between an hour and 36 hours. When it comes alive again, it works fine until the next "outage"

Note: All audio: radio, cd, nav, and phone through speakers do not work when this happens.

The dealer has been unable to diagnose the problem - would appreciate hearing from others who have had this problem.
  • badbenz1badbenz1 Member Posts: 2
    Repeated pulling to right. Keep taking back to dealership. Wheel and tire problems that is cosing me to much money and time Major problems with Michelin pilot sport tires. Flats. Splits in sidewalls. Replaced front tires twice, wheels twice, back tires at 12,000 miles. A nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.