Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Where you using the Keyless go and then gave the valet the valet key? If so this could be your problem. The best way to deal with valeting is either use the valet key or the actual key from the intelligent key and give the valet just the key and not the "fob". I think there is a little glitch if you have the car on with intel key take the key away and then try to start with valet key. It might think you are being carjacked and once it cuts off you cannot cut it back on unless you do what the tow truck drive did. It kinda makes sens if you think about it. some one car jacks you while you have the intel key as soon as the car gets turned off it's immovable if the inteli key isn't present when you turn it off
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    How does the Navigation system on the FX35/45 compare with Acura and Lexus? Acura/Honda is considered the best by both a leading consumer magazine and the premier computer/electronics publisher. Lexus and Infiniti are usually a notch below and the rest (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche.) get really low marks. The complaints I've heard most about the Lexus system are:
    1. Certain functions are disabled while driving. This is intended to be safer, but actually causes more dangerous situations - precluding passengers from acting as navigators and offloading responsibility from the driver.
    2. The routing algorithms are more likely to head drivers in the wrong direction (when compared with Acura).
    3. The user interface is not as intuitive, nor is it as useful as Acura's.
    4. Acura/Honda' systems can be voice control in all 2004 vehicles (and the 2003 Accord and MDX). Lexus only offers voice-activation in the highest end models - not the RX 330 (their FX competitor).

Can any one address these issues with regard to the navigation in the FX35/45?
  • psb1013psb1013 Member Posts: 92
    I really have no complaints w/the Infiniti NAV other than I wish it had voice-control like in the Q
  • slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for the answer. I was using the keyless feature with the fob in my pocket. When I stopped the car, I gave the valet the valet key. I thought maybe the car had gone into some safe mode, but I wonder why I can't find any information about this in the owners manual. It certainly doesn't inspire any confidence in the dealer when they had no idea what I was talking about. It was like "oh, another nutty customer!". You would think that the dealer or Infiniti would at least respond with some type of answer.
    psb1013:
    Can you use the navigation system normally while driving? Or do they limit what you can do when the car is moving? Can you enter another address while driving? If you have a list of destinations, can you re-order them while driving? If you enter in the name of a movie theater, will the nav show you the phone number so your passenger can call enroute and see what's playing? The Acura system allows all this. The inferior Lexus does not. Where does Infiniti stand with the FX35/45 nav?
  • cmdpmcmdpm Member Posts: 9
    i have an '03 MDX w/ Nav (i am considering changing to an '04 FX).
    this is the first time i have used/owned a car w/ a nav system so i cannot give you a comparison, but i do like all things tech and can say that i am very impressed.
    the voice activation is good but limited; less full featured than the '04 accord nav.
    the system does allow changes on-the-fly which has come in handy for me when encountering traffic jams on I-95 as i can ask it to give me an alternate route(s)-or reprogram destinations completely.
    it offers 7 million points of interest and all 48 states on one dvd---amazing!
    overall it is a surprisingly accurate system but does make occasional minor errors.
    ironically, i will not order the nav on the fx as i cannot justify the cost-and it may not be as good as the MDX nav.
    cmdpm:
    Thanks for the good input. You are correct that the 04' Accord and O4' TSX navigation systems have more features. You have pointed out some great features and benefits of the Acura nav. Now let's see if anyone can tell us how the Infiniti nav compares.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    The September issue of Motor Trend compares the FX35 RWD with the RX330 and the MB ML350. They declare the FX the winner. They tested the FX35 with RWD and 18" wheels and tires.0-60 in 7.3. Wish someone would test the AWD sport package. They make mention that the Rx330 has lots of tech options you can buy, but mention nothing about options for the FX. The as tested prices of RX330 and ML350 were considerably higher and more heavily optioned. Good to have a favorable outcome, but not a real good article IMO.
  • arhfx45arhfx45 Member Posts: 27
    I was disappointed as well that they didn't get a tech package FX35 which would have been in the price range of the tested RX & ML. The lack of reference to the FX's tech options seemed almost as if they had not properly researched the vehicles prior to writing the article. I am in agreement with their results, they appeared fair & well stated. But, possibly my opinions are swayed by my experience with FX ownership.
    What would be the trade offs of a RWD FX35 versus an AWD FX35. I don't plan on ever needing the AWD for snow, mud, etc - our other vehicle (MDX) is AWD. Will the AWD handle noticeably better than RWD? Also, won't the AWD slow the vehicle down a little?
    The AWD system in our MDX is a nifty electronic device (made by Borg-Warner) that electrically transfers torque all 4 wheels only when needed. So the vehicle behaves like it's 2WD under normal driving conditions. With this arrangement, the performane and mileage penalties are negligible. How does the FX35 AWD work?
    What are the differences between the FX35 and FX45, other than of course the engine? If you look at both vehicles "fully-loaded" (with tech package), is there anything you don't get with the FX35 that you would with the FX45?
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Someone said on a previous post the 45 has Express up and down on all 4 windows, but I don't know if this was a Tech feature or on all 45s.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    If you add the Technology Pkg in both cars, they are identical, except for the engine. Also it is my understanding that if you add the Premium plus Sport Packages to the FX35, it is identical to the FX45 Premium Pkg, again except for the engine.

Also damormino from everything I have read you will not lose handling capability - on dry pavement - with the RWD FX35, and the car will be lighter (and thus slightly quicker) than the AWD version. Some reviewers have said that the RWD version feels more "tossable" and easier to manuever in tight turns. So if you don't need the AWD for snow traction it would very much be worth considering. The real handling difference comes with the addition of the Sport Pkg - Car & Driver measured a .87 vs .82 skidpad between an FX45 (sport pkg & 20 inch wheels/tires are stamdard) and an FX35 non-sport pkg model (18 inch wheels & tires).
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    The AWD system in our MDX is a nifty electronic device (made by Borg-Warner) that electrically transfers torque all 4 wheels only when needed. So the vehicle behaves like it's 2WD under normal driving conditions. With this arrangement, the performance and mileage penalties are negligible.

The ATTESSA ET-S AWD system in the FX35/45 pretty much works the same as what you described in the MDX, except that the FX has a rear bias, i.e. RWD. However, it is believed that the ATTESSA AWD system has a performance orientation as it was lifted directly from the Nissan Skyline GT-R. I'm not the 100% expert on the system but the Infiniti website might give more info regarding it.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    Agree with previous posts . Nothing different except the engine if you order the extra options for the FX35 . Oh, no one mentioned the rear badge, that also is different (just a bit of humor!).

No offense to FX35 owners but I do wish Infiniti would have not made it possible for a FX35 to look identical to a FX45 by adding options . Maybe , putting one exhaust for the FX35 and keeping the two exhausts for the FX45 could have been a good compromise .

Oh, well !!!! Love my extra V8 HP and don't mind the less gas miles . Would have paid more for a SuperCharged version if they offered it ! Don't think even Porsche SUV turbo would have kept up on a FX45 SC !
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    First of all, Is that possible? I don't care for the passenger side improvements slated for the next MY as long as I get a good deal an '03 FX. The prices on the RX330 are really discouraging from what I read on the forums and I guess the '03 FX leftovers would be a better choice (Well, to me, they are a better choice over the RX in terms of handling anyday - It's just that the Lexus name leaves a better impression in the circles I am into, at least…). I really need to time this right about when the '04s start rollling into the lots already full with '03s. I don't need any of those flamboyant colors - In fact, white would be ideal since I don't want to make a moving "speeding ticket tree" of myself and be easily spotted from about 15 miles away ;0) The FX is distinctive enough and fashion statement enough even if it comes in basic colors... From what I see on two different dealerships (one in Central NJ and the other in Eastern PA), there are quite a few left already….
    So, the questios really are
    1) When do the '04s start arriving?
    2) Would the dealers be willing to deal?
    It seems like they are doing 1% over invoice in NJ, from one of the deals reported a month back. I would appreciate any thoughts on these…
    Thank You!
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

Does anyone have a realistic feel for how much milage regarding tread life we should expect for the 18 verses the 20 inch tires.

What would it cost to replace these tires?

The 2004 model arrives in September according to Infiniti and they will actually have a brochure.
    OEM tires run 175/ea at tirerack.com Yoko S/T tires run 210 I believe. I have no idea what the tread wear rating and warranty are.
    The 2004 model arrives in September according to Infiniti and they will actually have a brochure.

Hmm...the 2003 model also had a brochure. After I expressed a lot of interest in the FX when I was shopping, the salesperson gave me one to read over (which I did for days). It was one of the nicer brochures that I have seen.
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    You can find the manual for the navigation system here:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=58
    First of all, thanks to 93fsu1 for showing us where to find the navigation system manual online.
    Now the bad news. Infiniti, like Lexus, disables useful features while the vehicle is moving - forcing drivers to pull of the road and stop. This is proportedly done in the interest of safety, and without going into great detail, has never been shown to increase safety. It may even compromise it. A brief scan of the manual shows that this system is most likely manufactured for Infiniti (Nissan) by Pioneer. Pioneer's aftermarket systems are probably the second best aftermarket systems available after Alpine. The Acura navigation is an Alpine unit. Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that the Acura Navigation is a level better than Infiniti. That puts Infiniti somewhere in with Lexus for the #2 and #3 spots. Based on the manual, I would give the nod to Infiniti, but will reserve judgement until a real comparison can be made. I am not sure who Lexus works with on there system - I think Panasonic. I will post a detailed comparison of the three systems later.
    Do you have experience with handheld systems like Garmin or Navman?
    No. I only have experience with OEM systems in cars and also navigation systems in airplanes. All the reviews I have read say that good OEM systems (like Acura, Infinit and Lexus) are better than hand-helds. I would be inclined to agree. The Acura system uses a gyroscope and uses this information to show the vehicles orientation and direction of movement under low-speed conditions. Also, the OEM systems are better integrated with the other vehicle systems and provide more functionality not mentioned here. Still, many of the articles say that a good hand-held is better than a poor OEM system like BMW's or Porsches.
    Just ordered the retractable rear cargo cover for my FX45 . Not cheap ! Over $500.00 + tax ! I ordered it from my local Infiniti dealership . The parts person needed to get my VIN # so that Infiniti would know what interior color I had to match it .

Should be about 4 to 6 weeks and will post on how good it is and if it is worth the $500.00 + bucks !
    CANCEL THE ORDER!!!!!!! go to http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com/en_US/ They sell the same cover for 369 plus you can get another 15 off if you are a member of another board. They are grubbs infiniti where I bought my car.
    Wow ! Big difference in price and more selection of accessories then my local dealership ! WILL BE CANCELING MY ORDER TOMORROW ! I always liked the people of Texas and now I like there dealerships too! Thanks again and "Don't mess with Texas !"

ichiban
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    How many total miles should we get with the 18 inch tires regarding tread life?

Thankyou in advance for you kind response
    I saw one listed in an online "Upfront pricing" site for $36.5K ish…
    Since there are no book values available yet: The first year depriciation for the FX for zip code 08854 (NJ) is listed as $10,041. This is based off of the TMV for 08854, which,per edmunds, is roughly $650 below sticker.
    However, from what people keep reporting, we should get a new '03 FX for $500 over invoice which is also roughly $3400/= below MSRP OR $2773/= below the reported TMV (Is everyone confused, yet? ;0) ).
    Now, since we pay 2,775 below TMV, we are looking at a depreciation of 10,041-2775 = $7,268 /= at the end of the first year assuming tht all other parameters are the same. But if we assume that the mileage on the vehicle is just about 4,000 or so, the mileage adjustment to apply would be ~ (4000* $0.15 = $600). This makes the net depreciation 7,268 minus 600 = $6,668/=. (I may be off by a couple of hundred bucks in rounding incorrectly…)
    So, Should the price of a pre owned FX35 with 4K miles approx. be around (6668-500) = $6168 below invoice?!?!?!? This doesn't seem to jive… Am I missing something here? Somebody, please light the candle - This sounds tooooo good to be true..
    (Even if it is true, doesn't it sound too incredible to make an offer based on?!)
    So, from your calculations, what do you think is a fair offer for the vehicle?

FYI, we bought our FX35 AWD with Premium Pkg for $$35,933.39 + TTL back in March 2003. MSRP was close to $40K. So, a used one with 4K for $36.5K is a bit high.
  • aleksd1aleksd1 Member Posts: 37
    Just my 2c. I did a lot of research on depreciation of FX35 and it seemed to me that because it depreciates so much, it's better to wait and buy it used. But then I realized that
    even though the car is supposed to depreciate $10k in the first year, you probably won't find too many people selling it exaclty for that reason: depreciation is too high to sell it. On top of that, there are not so many of them sold to begin with, so of that low number of FXs out there, a tiny percentage will be sold after first year, so this depreciation numbers are a good guide, maybe, but in reality , I doubt they really work, unless you decide to trade it in to the dealer, and then you will get hit. But back to your original question(sorry for rambling on),
    I live in SoCal and a couple of dealers offered me FX35 w/premium for flat invoice. That would bring a new 2003 FX35 to about 35 or 36 K depending if you want to include or exclude dealer incentive(about 1k). Hope this helps somewhat. And 36.5 for a used car seems way to high.
    Alex
  • marinelomarinelo Member Posts: 7
    I'm wondering if anyone has looked into aftermarket exhaust systems for the FX35.Is there anything available out there??
    Thanks 4 the feedback. Yes, 36.5K is definitely laughable...
    Crickey - My fair price would be Invoice minus 5/6 th of the depriciation so, I get to eat 1/6th of the depreciation; we got roughly 2 months to go before the '04s roll in at full speed. The dealer takes 10months of the dep and I take the remaining 2 months worth. Fair enough?
    It's definitely true that too few FXs are out thre for resale. But hey! Figures are figures and paying more than that is like paying over the sticker, to me. I don't like the car like that ;0) (Just me.. Can't speak 4 anybody else)
    The other option is to wait a couple more months and see if more '03 pre-owneds are available.
    I amstill torn between the RX, FX and the '04 Murano SE expected to show up with triptronic..
    I will let you folks know if there is any development.
    Thanks very much and have a good day!!
    over in real world trade-in values what it is worth. He attends plenty of auctions and knows what the real deal is.

By the way I asked him what my vehicle was worth just out of curiousity (thinking about an '04 fx45 with chrome wheels :-) ). He pegged my car at 35/36 trade which would mean 37-39 retail.

that is not bad. I bought it new in april for 40530 MSRP was 44340. So real world depreciation is only a 1-3 grand on the retail end.

If I traded it I would take a 4k hit on trade in but would probably be able to get that off a FX45 (buying from grubbs he will order '04 for vpp pricing already).

So in reality it would be a wash but meaning I would not be able to get out of the FX45 (why would someone want to?) until the lease would be over.

If I was serious I would swap my lease or sell it privately and do a courtesy trade don't know if my wife would let me though. :)

I feel that maybe less than 5% of 03's will be resold in a year. The reason is people are passionate about these cars. The only people likely to sell are those that.
    1) Have a lot of problems with the car
    2) coming from lexus or acura and don't know what "sporty" means
    3) are having financial difficulty
    4) Want an 04 like me :)

just my .02
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's where you can find that discussion: Real-World Trade-In Values

tidester, host
  • esfeld99esfeld99 Member Posts: 1
    Ichiban470(message1035) said he ordered a retractable cargo cover for his FX 45. I've inquired of several dealers and none know anything about it, and I also contacted Infiniti and they said there;s no such thing. How are you ordering one????? clpurnell(message 1026) said he saw one on another site, which I looked at; how can they have one if Infiniti says they don't exist??
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    On Page 3 of the FX Accessories at www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com (Grubbs Infiniti Parts).
  • 3rdbass3rdbass Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new FX 35/45 less than a month ago and have put on 1,600 exhilarating miles on the vehicle. I have gotten alot of attention from onlookers as people have had only positive feedback about the car. I have experienced no problems with the vehicle besides only getting a shade over 16 miles(city/highway) to the gallon. I feel I have purchased a great vehicle for a decent price. I bought my FX 35 Sport Package AWD in Brick/Black for $ 37,568.00. I payed about $ 900.00 over invoice while trading in my 2000 Nissan Maxima SE with 46,200 miles on it for $ 12,400.00. Though the Maxima was in decent mechanical condition it did have some noticeable paint blemishes,as well as two worn back tires and Kelly had it at $ 11,400.00 and Edmunds had it at $ 12,700.00. I feel that I got a decent deal but definitely left a few hundred dollars on the table due to really wanting the FX 35. I just wanted to feel if people think I got a good deal or should I have waited for the '04 model with all it's refinements ?(see below attached link) I feel good about the comparison shopping part since I tested the Murano,not sporty enough and not as nice looking, the Lexus RX330, nice looking but definitely not enough power for my tastes and a few cars (Infiniti G35, Audi A4 and A6, and 2004 Nissan Maxima). I just feel like I could of got more bang for the buck if I waited for the '04's. But hey I like the vehicle and in 3 years maybe the vehicle will have been drastically upgraded power wise that I will trade mine in for a new one. I definitely would recommend this car to anyone who wants a bigger vehicle that looks nice and still has the traction and power of a smaller sports sedan. http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti/News/2004%20Infiniti%20Line%- - - - - 20Up.htm
    I have check with my local dealer and other sources daily for certain accessories for my FX45 (ie.: Front end mask , chip/engine up grades , retractable rear cargo cover , etc...).

For the first time, one of these items were available and thanks to "clpurnell" I was able to save a good chunk of change.

Here are the spec's from the dealer : Tonneau Cover Assembly, Part #84982-CG000 . They need to see your VIN # to order the right color for your interior .

Go to:

http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com/en_US/ and check out page 3 to see an example. My local dealer was going to charge me $517.96 + tax but when confronted with me cancelling the order, he matched the price on this web site. 4 to 6 weeks before I'll receive it and I'll post to see if it is really worth it !?

PS: Still bugging Colgan and Stillen to make a
        front end mask (bra) and chip up grade .
        Colgan says it still has not made one yet .
        Stillen is working on a chip and Supercharger
        up grade for the FX45 but not sure when it
        will be available .
    I just put the question to Terry on the other forum. I will keep you folks posted..
    Thanks again ;0)
  • trragtopstrragtops Member Posts: 7
    Unless this is the "redesigned" retractable cargo cover, I think you will be disapponted with the fit. I purchased the cover and returned it the next day. The cover left a 10" gap from the front of the cover to the rear seat and another 8" gap from the cover to the rear hatch

I was told Infiniti is redesigning the cover to be more like the Murano cover.

hope this helps
  • reds2k1reds2k1 Member Posts: 3
    aleksd1, would you mind emailing me at kristianho@hotmail.com of the dealers and possibly the salesmans names that have quoted you the FX at invoice.

Thanks!
    I could understand a gap between the rear seats and the cover. Could this be corrected by reclining the rear seats till they reached the cover or was there something blocking this from happening ?

As to the rear end of the cover, one should think Infiniti would have measured it to be exact . Thanks for the input and I'll post when I receive it. Hopefully, it is the NEW DESIGNED Version !
    Does anybody know about speical financing on FX35?
    There's an ad in my local paper, quoting 1.9 and 2.9 for 36 and 60 month. Anyone else seen anything like it?
    Thanks,
    Alex
    It might be on a dealer-to-dealer basis. Others have reported that there is a dealer incentive on them.

However, the incentive page on the NVPP (which is normally accurate) does not indicate any customer or dealer incentives on the FX for the month of August.
  • bulletsilverbulletsilver Member Posts: 2
    It's true here in Atlanta. I bought mine @ 2.9% for 60 months on Aug 2. The dealer told me it's new for August.
  • arhfx45arhfx45 Member Posts: 27
    When I bought my FX45 in July Infiniti's best rate was 4.5% on the FX although they had 1.9% or 2.9% on some of their other automobiles. 4.5% was OK for me as I paid mine off before the first payment was due anyway.
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Details of Infiniti's lower interest rates are on the Infiniti web site. The offer lasts though until 9/2/03.
    See Infiniti's Limited Engagement regarding the APR offer. The offer applies to 2003 FX35 (not FX45), I35, and the G35 Sedan.
    Message posted by 3rdbass sounds like a dealer trying to persuade members here that it's ok to
    pay $900 over invoice, while every dealer I called is willing to sell at flat invoice!!! (examples would be Infiniti of Ventura, Advantage Infiniti of Santa Monica, etc). Just my opinion.