Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• psb1013psb1013 Member Posts: 92
    When I bought my FX45 back in March, there was almost an inch of snow around my neighborhood. The FX had no problems as far as traction---AWD system works great. My previous BMW X5, in comparison, was terrible in any kind of snow condition. Even still, I will buy some dedicated snow tires for the FX because those 20" all-season tires will not be too good in deep snow.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    That is totally unacceptable from any manufacture ! I have never heard of this and I hope my FX45's sunroof molding is not the same . You would THINK with all the engineering out there on making a quality sunroof , Infiniti would pick up a few pointers .

Most people in the early 70's did not buy sunroofs / moon roofs for the main reason they leaked ! Since the 80's manufactures have solved this problem but I see Nissan might have been sleeping during these decades . So far so good but if I do have problems like you posted , Nissan will wish it didn't sell me this FX45 .

4,100 miles, no problems yet and smiling while I'm driv'in !
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Have you looked into seeing what's available as far as winter tires are concerned? I'm thinking the same thing, and wouldn't mind buying an extra set of wheels, probably 18 inch so I could go with narrower winter tires for better traction. So far I don't know of any that are available in the FX35's standard size of 265/60-18. This would be cheaper than buying 20's also, assuming somebody makes one in this size.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    tire rack has a set of winter 17's with alloys with snows. someone on another board got the set for about 1200.
  • 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    When the lease ends on my Infiniti I30t in the next few months, I'll be upgrading to an FX-series SUV (hopefully the V-8).

I love the Bose in my I30t, although the rear parcel shelf that houses the subwoofer tends to rattle at times. I know there's a TSB for this issue, but when I learned that the fix included the complete dismantling of my back seat and parcel shelf (just to install a few strips of sound dampening foam), I opted to forgo this repair (for fear that I would end up with new rattles that didn't exist prior to the fix!).

My wife drives an '03 G35 sedan with the Bose system, and I don't think it sounds as good as the audio system in my I30t.

For those of you with the Bose in your FX35/45's, have you enjoyed the sound quality of your stereo's? Does that spare tire subwoofer-like unit really work?

I've asked a couple of local car audio dealers about upgrading the Bose system in my wife's G35, and the general consensus is that you either leave it alone or replace the entire system (ouch $$$). Bose units, so I'm told, are not designed to accomodate (as an example) an aftermarket powered sub unit to enhance bass.

Any experiences with your Bose units (both positive & negative), along with information on successful enhancements or changes made to improve sound quality (if possible) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    The Bose system in my FX45 is better then most stock systems in my previous and current vehicles . I have a Nakamichi System in my LX470 and my FX system beats it hands down . The only negative I can see is there is no MID-range adjustment , only Treble and Bass . You still get a good sound but I think at lower volume levels the addition of MID's would help . It also seems to me the FX Bose System sounds best when "cranked up " . The sub woofer is really good , no vibrations . Out of 1 to 10 , I rate it a 9 . Bring a CD next time your at Infiniti , you might be extremely surprised .
    Agree with ichiban470 - for a stock system especially the much maligned Bose name - it sounds very good. I find that it's much improved compared to my two previous cars (A4 and allroad, which each had Bose systems). I think the center front speaker really helps to add "presence" and helps to envelope the sound around the listener.
    I agree with the above posts. While Audiophiles or ML fans will give it failing grades I think the bose is fantastic. It blows away the infiniti system in my 300M and is the best stock system I have ever had. The cd changer is pretty flawless even though I know problems have been reported with the G systems. The bass is there I have to keep it under midway setting and the mid and highs are ok too. Movies sound awesome over the thing though they tend to have to be cranked a little louder. I compared to the Acura/Bose unit and it blows it away. I would rate it an 8.5 overall.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I too agree with the G35's sunroof molding falling on me after being fixed, was unacceptable.

On a more positve note (no pun intended), I think that the Bose system on the G is quite good overall and would recommend it.
    Just got a E-mail from " Colgan Custom Mfg. " stating they have designed a front end mask for the FX45/35 . You can order it with either a leather grain or the new carbon fiber grain . The carbon fiber grain will cost $10.00 more ( Note : it is not made of carbon fiber , just the look .) .

It is a two piece and will have openings for the fog lights . You can order it with or without a front plate cut out and they will begin shipping them in October . Two days UPS , once it is made . For those interested here is the contact # : 1-800-447-2727 Ext. 21,22,26,or 36. M - F 8 am to 4:30 pm PST .
    or go to : http://www.colgancustom.com/

I will post once I receive it . So far no chips on the front of my FX45 and I want to keep it that way . Didn't go with the 3M Stongard (did I spell that right ?) film protection for two reasons . 1. Not sure how long it will last and what long lasting effects it may have on the paint and... 2: It will take a day for the dealer to correctly apply the material on the vehicle .
    My nephew put it on his new BMW so I'll see how he likes it after a year .
  • petewat3petewat3 Member Posts: 83
    I've had my FX45 for 3 mos. and 9500 miles so I've gotten a good feel for how it meets my expectations. Being a technology freak, I am constantly amazed at the handling and features. But if there is an area where I am mildly disapointed, it's with the Bose system. The base is good and the positioning of the sub-woofers in the wheel wells is highly effective. I think the mid and high end are a little blase with regard to brightness and note distinction however. The best factory installed car stereo IMO is the McIntosh system that Subaru has in it's top of the line Outback VDC. The Lexus Mark Levinson system gets high marks but I haven't heard it. I too would be grateful for tips as to how to improve the Bose.
    Also, I've read several comments regarding the "overly hard" suspension of the FX. I too felt it was a little harsh at first but after the car & I getting used to each other, I can't imagine that softening it would not detract from the performance. It is solid but it contributes to the remarkable handling of the FX45 and after a while, it becomes a non-issue.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    I just returned form a 1000 mile trip with my FX35 tech. Drove from Springfield, Mo. to Chicago and back. I ran 80 to 85 mph most of the trip. Got alsmost 21 mpg on the way there and about 20 on the way back, including driving in the city. The seats were very comfortable and 8-9 hours at the wheel was no problem. The navigation in the FX works wonderful, even in the crowded streets of downtown Chicago. The ride was not the least bit punishing even on some pretty bad sections of Hiway 55. The gas was pretty expensive in Illinois so I ran 87 octane and the FX ran just fine. On the way back to drop my pasenger off we had to take some pretty curvy backroads. A couple of imports ran up on me aggressiveley and the FX left them behind in the curves. Unbelievable how the FX handles. A real joy to drive on the road.
  • snoozdocsnoozdoc Member Posts: 7
    Can someone out there who owns an FX with the tech package tell me whether the DVD player accepts DVD + RW, or the minus RW type of recorded DVDs. Thanks. I looked in the owners manual that is posted online, and it doesn't address this.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    There are fervent believers of the RX330, BMW, ML, CAY and FX. I still think the fx has great style and best in class handling...period. Porsche should take notice, and has. I just filled out a detailed survey about each and every aspect of Cay, and think they will try to iron out the bugs. So has Infiniti, probably try to increase hp and improve ride quality,without sacrificing the 0.87 g glue to the road ability. All manufacturers are taking notice.....and we will all benefit with excellent cars in the future. The topics we debate about are all relative....compared to 10 yrs ago, all these cars are excellent.
    thanks for listening, this is my first posting on this forum.
  • tedcruisertedcruiser Member Posts: 50
    Just starting to look seriously at a FX35. While I have read some of the most recent posts, I may not be aware of all the issues facing FX owners. Any recalls or mechanical problems I need to consider before purchasing? I was very very close this week to purchasing RX330 but some of the transmission issues may have scared me away.

What about reliability problems or other reliability concerns. Anyone purchase in Dallas area and have dealer recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Tedcruiser
    I have an FX45 with about 7,500 miles. So far, no problems, except since mine was an early build there was an issue with the rear hatch which if left out in the hot sun could buldge out and cause rubbing when it was opened. This did not affect my vehicle this summer, but the dealer (about two weeks ago) applied the Infiniti recommended fix, as my serial number was one that indicated that this problem could develop later on.

There also was a recall to a certain narrow run of the early builds which required a bolt underneath the vehicle to be checked and tightened, but mine was not affected by this. I know of no other recall-type issues that have been issued so far, other than these two.

Everything on mine has worked without any hint of a problem. I think it will prove to be very reliable and I'm looking to keep it for another 5-6 years.
    Thanks for the input.

Ted
    Well I did a 475 mile trip and while rolling into my garage I passed 10k miles. First in the trip. Took my wife and kids to Sea World San Antonio this weekend. The FX as always was a great road trip car. It swallowed a large pullman, stroller, pack and play and a baby bath tub along with a small bookbag and basketball I "won" at sea world. The car handled great got 19.2 mpg for the whole trip including driving around the city. The highway mileage was about 21 mpg.

This car has never had a anything mechanical wrong with it. The only problems I have had is the hatch warping and the moving squeaking seat. Thats pretty much it. Both have been fixed, the hatch was a bit of a headache but it is done now.

This has been by far the best car I have owned.

To answers a few of the Questions above.

DVD+/-RW - The FX plays DVD-R we watched three of them on this latest trip with 0 problems. I do not know about the rewritable versions as I have only tried the write once version.

Like I said above no major problems with my fx. I would call the problems I had build quality problems more than reliability. I guess that is the risk you take buying a first year model. Mine is also an early build (3/03) but I have been extremly happy with it.

Pricing - The 03's should be available for 5-750 over invoice for tech packagae cars. And undeer invoice for fx45 premium cars (incentives available)

Overall this is the best 10k miles I have spent in any car.
    What kind of build quality problems would you be talking about? I've never owned an infiniti. They are second behind lexus in quality ratings. I would be coming from a lexus and am concerned I might not be happy with the quality of this rig.

thanks,
    Tedcruiser
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    The first year problems of the FX have been mostly addressed in later production.
    You are lucky that the largest Infiniti dealer is in Euless.
    I had to drive from San Diego to Euless to buy mine but it was worth it. I saved over $100 on my monthly payment.
    Besides, they know their stuff.
    I think you will be happy in an FX, as long as you don't mind the stares and questions you'll get.
    When did you buy? What kind of discount did Grubbs give you?

Are you happy with the build quality as far as squeeks and rattles go?

Tedcruiser
    The only quality issues were the squeaky seat (replaced power seat rails) and the rear hatch warping (replaced hatch). Those are it no other squeaks rattles or anything. I was stating that none of my problems have concerned parts affecting the performance of the vehicle only cosmetic or interior trim and they have been addressed.

I am from houston and also bought my vehicle from grubbs (4/26/03). Contact them via their website and they should be able to provide you with a pretty competitive quote. None of the three dealers in houston could match their deal.
    I leased a 45 with Tech in Diamond Graphite.
    The local dealers in San Diego had none, would not do a dealer trade, and wanted too high a price, too high money factor, and thus too large a monthly payment.
    I went to Grubbs, used my Mastercard for the $2500 up front, signed the papers in 30 minutes and was on the road.
    Grubbs threw in the cargo protector and McGard locks.
    My monthly payment is only $735. Try that elsewhere.That includes Calif sales tax.
    I picked out the car's VIN before I called Grubbs by going to Infiniti.com and entering Grubbs zip code instead of mine.
    This gave me Grubb's current inventory, the VIN and details of my vehicle.
    You can do this for any dealer.
    Another advantage in using Grubbs is selection.
    Here in SoCal, 50k cars are high-tech yuppie fodder.
    In Dallas, there probably are fewer buyers in that price range.
    Grubbs is the king of Infiniti E-Commerce. They are set up to sell to anyone from anywhere.
    They will even deliver the car to you.
    They are #1 for internet parts sales. They even have their own computer nerd and his office is full of servers. Ask for the 50 cent tour.
  • major7major7 Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone had experience driving either the FX 35/45 in the Northeast during the heavy winter snowfalls? I am talking about heavy snow on the highways, not off-road drivng for which the FX was not intended for. My 2001 QX4 had no problem going right through the 2 feet we had in our backyard during one snowfall south of Albany, NY this past winter. I was wondering if the large 18-20" tires on these crossovers would hinder driving in the snow even with AWD? Thx Bob
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    With snow tires and the awd version you should be fine.

There is a misconception that the fx35/45 is not worthy of offroad use. Sure it can't climb boulders or run over rocks like a jeep, hummer or range rover, but it handles quite well off road.

I took a test drive though a mud bog and up a hill at least a foot thick or more of mud and muck and the fx35 awd handled it with ease. It was even able to wait on the incline at a complete stop and maintain its grip waiting for traffic to pass to re-enter the roadway.

The low center of gravity makes it safer than most conventional SUVs in snow conditions. And much safer than the SUV that flipped over in North Carolina during hurricane Isabel. (of course it is rather foolhardy to travel in a hurricane in any vehicle).
  • chigirlintexaschigirlintexas Member Posts: 73
    I'm still trying to work a deal to get an FX35 w/Tech. Can any of you tell me pro's & con's of AWD vs 2WD? I live in Dallas, and while we don't get much snow, when it rains after a long drought, the roads get very slick. My Jeep Liberty has been a real disappointment on wet roads, but it's not a 4X4 (would that help??). I'll be leasing, so I'd also like your take on whether it's worth paying the extra $1500 for AWD on a car I'll be turning in after 3 years--do you think it will hold its value? I know the tech package will depreciate, but I want it so bad I don't care....those toys are PHAT (pretty hot and tempting)!

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

GO CUBS!
    Like you I am also a chicagoan transpanted in texas(houston) I actually bought my FX35 in dallas (grubbs). I went with 2wd becuase down here we see no snow at all and ice maybe two to thre times a year. We get plenty of rain and the fx has done very well. I did get the back end to break lose on a 35mph hard left but it was worth it :) VDC did cut in and eliminate the fun. For the amount of snow you get in dallas I would get the 2wd. If you have any intentions of moving north in the next three years get the AWD.
    What kind of in city mpg are you getting?. I am very close (maybe tomorrow) of purchasing an Ivory Pearl RWD with premium pkg. Two things are making me think of this purchase in great detail.
    1)Resale value/depreciation of this vehicle and
    2)initial and long-term quality of this vehicle.

Never have owned are really haven't know anyone who has owned an infiniti.

Any comments for me?

Tedcruiser
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I currently live in FL and I got AWD since I consider it a performance and safety feature. I also felt like I needed to get AWD since I was torn between the FX and the MDX (which had AWD standard).

Should I decide to part ways with the FX via a private sell (not likely, we enjoy it too much), I think I would have a wider market available to me since northerners might be interested in an AWD FX that may or may not see snowy winters (I drive up Toronto once a year, haven't done so at wintertime, but you'll never know). So, to me, the AWD premium is worth the money.

Our previous vehicle was a 2WD Pathfinder. The backend of the Pathy would get out of line every once in a while on rain-slick roads. Granted, the Pathy did not have VDC or Traction Control, which the FX has. It may have performed differently, if it had those safety systems.
    The resale value and depreciation of the FX would certainly depend on how long one plans to keep the vehicle.

If more than 5 years, I'd say that the resale would be on par to the competition, if not a bit less, but not siginificantly less. However, if less than 5 years, I'd say that the resale value and depreciation would be slightly worse than an RX330 or an Acura MDX.

Unfortunately, Infiniti/Nissan vehicles have unfavourable resale values and depreciation in comparison to Lexus/Toyota or Honda/Acura. With these new Infiniti products, hopefully, that changes.

If I were to buy now, I'd get a 2004 model to avoid all 1st year bugs (not really that many) and to have the 8-way power adjustable passenger seat. I think that the long-term reliability of the FX would be on par with previous Nissan/Infiniti vehicles, which are as good if not better than similar Japanese makes.
  • chigirlintexaschigirlintexas Member Posts: 73
    Hi Stanny,
    I was reading your post on your FX45 Tech from Grubbs at $735/mo--how many months? If it's 36, sounds like you got one heck of a deal. Looks like about $7k off the sticker from the calculation I made. I want a 35 w/Tech and want to get closer to $600/mo with 15K miles, but I have no cash to put down (I have three daughters in college right now), plus, Carman always cautions to put as little down as possible. (Finally, some financial advice I can actually take! :>) ) I might have to go to a longer term to get the payment lower. Here in Texas our taxes on a new vehicle come to 6.25%, so that's what I used on Edmund's handy-dandy lease calculator on figuring out your deal.

I've heard good and bad about Grubbs--some people come here from all over the country; others go out of Dallas to get a deal. I'm hoping that with the 04's about to arrive, I can snatch an '03 for a good price.

Thanks to everyone on this board--I love reading about everyone's experiences. My husband just shakes his head since I'm a big gear-head and he couldn't care less about what he drives....

GO CUBS! (Yes, we lost last night, but we'll take the next two at Wrigley!)
    Had to go ahead and buy a 2003 model today. Couldn't wait for the 04's. Bought a RWD FX35 with premium pkg and splash guards. Ivory Pearl. Seems like one sweet machine. Love the sound and even the V6 feels strong. Hope I don't get the squeeky/rocky seat problem. I'm 6'4" tall and have plenty of room. Hate to sit behind me though.

Tedcruiser
    If you haven't heard , thanks to Gov. Davis and Lt. Gov. Bustamante (who admitted the democrats spent more then what was coming in ! ) , our vehicle license fee will TRIPLE ! Instead of paying $364.00 / year to keep my FX45 registered , it will now be $1,082.00 ! This does not included my other two vehicles .
    $3,000.00 down the drain !

So if you were planning to buy your FX in California , it now has gotten a little bit more expensive ! Thanks for letting me vent , guys !
    Congrats on the ride. I know you will love it. Have Fun :)
    Congratulations! Enjoy the drive...
    Yes, as of October 1st, car registration fees tripled in California.
    I estimate my 45 would cost over $1,000 to register now.
    But I don't know how a California resident can avoid paying this outrageous amount no matter where you buy the car unless you register in another state and not get caught driving with out of state plates after a few months in Calif.
    Active military can do this but the only other way is to establish residency in another state.
    I have a client that lives here in San Diego and bought a rental property in Texas and uses that as his permanent address. He has to go back to Texas for the vehicle inspection, he drives around here with all Texas plates, but he saves lots of money since he has multiple vehicles including a very expensive motorhome.
    I know others that register in non-smog counties in Calif to avoid the smog inspection every two years.
    Ted/ChiGirl

Ted-

My intown mileage is right around 17mpg. on the highway 20/21 mpg. Not great but decent and I have 10k miles. Buy the 04 and your depreciation hit won't be as bad. My 39 month residual is 21k on a 44k MSRP car. I think it will be worth more than that in the open market. It won't be as strong as an MDX, X5 or RX330 but will be stronger than the ML350 and SRX. So it should be right around the middle it will kill the aviator and pretty much anything domestic in resale.

ChiGirl-
    The people you heard bad things from must not have dealt with the e-commerce crew. as stanny says they are top notch. I here Sewell is also good but they were about a grand higher than grubbs and didn't have quite the amount of feedback. I leased a FX35 RWD with Tech for 625/mo 39 mo 15k per. The only thing I paid was 625 first payment. Security waived, Acquisition fee and texas taxes included. This was back in april. Talk to the people at grubbs (e-mail me for info)
  • blueyfishblueyfish Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know how to enable the Daytime Running Lights? They are standard in Canada, as they are required by law. I have spoken to Infiniti Customer Service and was told that it can't be done. Can't believe it. Same car and probably only needs a small part. I have a FX35 and an M45. Hate to turn the lights on and off all the time. There is a nice reduction in insurance with the DRL's.
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    I am starting to look for a replacement for my 90 Q45. From what I have heard the intelligent cruise control sounds like a dream come true. I know the concept is that it will slow the car down below the set speed if the traffic is not going that fast. Is the following distance adjustable? How much of a gap does it leave? I ask this because everyone pulls in front of me I leave a large gap. If someone does pull right in front of you, does it apply the brakes to increase the gap immediately or just slow the car down a few MPH, increase the gap and then speed back up? If it works right this system would be great!!! Is there a maximum / minimum speed? There are many many times when the speed of the traffic is varying and not going as fast as I would like. Does this system really automate the cruise control for those occasions?
    Thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My Nissan supposedly requires a DRL module to enable the lights. Last I looked into it (~2 years ago now), the module snapped in and cost around $50.

Steve, Host
  • snoozdocsnoozdoc Member Posts: 7
    Hey Tom17. You will prolly enjoy this link. It had downloadable Users Manuals for the FX's. It should answer your questions pretty well.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=58
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    Wow, that is a really great reference. Being able to read the entire owners manual before buying the vehicle is a great idea. Thanks.
  • blueyfishblueyfish Member Posts: 36
    Thanks Steve. I will check with the dealer to see if the module is available.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Hi Steve,
    Is the module you looked into from Nissan/Infiniti, or an aftermarket one? If an aftermarket module is installed, will it void the new car manufacture warranty? Thanks.
    My memory is fuzzy - it was an OEM module, but I may have researched the part from a Canadian dealer. The search seems busted or I probably could find a post or two in the archives.

Aftermarket parts are always a bit of an issue, since it gives the dealer a convenient out to deny warranty coverage if something breaks that's even vaguely related to the part you put in. They may be wrong, but it's a hassle trying to prove otherwise and get them to abide by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Steve, Host
    Has anyone installed the drilled aluminum footpedals to their FX themselves? Is seems faily easy, but was wanting some actual experiences.

Also, has anyone had the Xpel (invisishield) or Clear Bra product installed? How does it look and how much was it? Does it do the job as claimed?

Thanks in advance.

Tedcruiser
    My wife called me from the drugstore this evening and said our Fx with tech would crank but wouldn't start. I had her try the key instead of the lazer remote and that didn't work. I had her get out of the the car and lock and unlock it about 4 times with the remote and then a few times again with the button on the door. Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! It started! Diagnosis from the cell phone. I guess it's brain gets confused sometimes. Anyway, she was anticpating a tow truck and wound up thinking I was pretty smart. Seems I read it somewhere on a post somewhere. Now she doesn't mind the time I spend on the dumb computer in the evenings. Anyone else had a problem like this with the(not so) intelligent key?
    Just installed a set of drilled aluminum foot pedals on my M3. Had to drill a few holes in the pedals, but it was a piece of cake and took about 30 minutes. Shouln't be any different on the Fx,IMO. Sounds like a worthwhile project. Really like the look on my Fx too. Good luck!
    Check out Car front end protective bras & film.

Steve, Host