Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• notop1notop1 Member Posts: 14
    Saharanut... just looked at your pic's... I really, really like the no top look and though its minor, the AE emblem looks sharp.. .thing I like about the AE are the same color fenders... same as on the Sahara, but the AE is less expensive.

Thanks for the web site... I'll look for the hoist there.

I live in Rochester, MN... so the hard top will really be handy this winter. Now if it will just stop raining.. I"ve been here for 25 years now and this is the worst spring/summer I've ever seen.. raining every day now for 5 weeks and the forecast is rain for the next week! Once it stops, I'm going to drop the top and carry a tonneau cover that my friend gave me... he had a Sahara that he traded in for a PT Cruiser...loves it... liked the Jeep and would have kept it, but just got tired of shifting all the time... he recommended the automatic. By the way, my oldest son bought a black sports model last fall... he lives in Minneapolis... shifts a lot more there I'm sure, but then again, he's young :-)... he's already installed his second lift kit.... I plan to live mine stock except for a few cosmetic additions... wanted the side steps, but didn't have them on the model in stock and of course can't order them until the 2002's come out... couldn't wait and wanted the 60th AE...
  • wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    jeephead: I have 2 Boxers that I put in the back of my Jeep a couple of times a week. I normally take the seat out to give them more room and keep them lower in the vehicle. They both wear a harness. I bought a canvas strap from Petsmart that hooks to the ring on the harness. The seatbelt goes through the loop on the other end. The strap is only about 10-12 inches long. It works pretty well and it allows them to move around and get comfortable. It doesn't allow them to jump out of my Jeep. Another option is www.ruffrider.com. They make a harness especially for dogs traveling in vehicles and are supposed to be the best on the market.
    Saharanut... just looked at your pic's... I really, really like the no top look and though its minor, the AE emblem looks sharp.. .thing I like about the AE are the same color fenders... same as on the Sahara, but the AE is less expensive.

Thanks for the web site... I'll look for the hoist there.

I live in Rochester, MN... so the hard top will really be handy this winter. Now if it will just stop raining.. I"ve been here for 25 years now and this is the worst spring/summer I've ever seen.. raining every day now for 5 weeks and the forecast is rain for the next week! Once it stops, I'm going to drop the top and carry a tonneau cover that my friend gave me... he had a Sahara that he traded in for a PT Cruiser...loves it... liked the Jeep and would have kept it, but just got tired of shifting all the time... he recommended the automatic. By the way, my oldest son bought a black sports model last fall... he lives in Minneapolis... shifts a lot more there I'm sure, but then again, he's young :-)... he's already installed his second lift kit.... I plan to live mine stock except for a few cosmetic additions... wanted the side steps, but didn't have them on the model in stock and of course can't order them until the 2002's come out... couldn't wait and wanted the 60th AE...
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    first Nut, now notop1... What a great week it's been for new Jeeps.

notop1, welcome to the board. It's a good crowd; be sure to join in on the Thursday PM chats if you have the time.

-twylie
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I looked up the petsmart and ruff rider, and found a few others from their sites. Here they are for those interested:

http://www.batzi.com/
    a dependable and secure pet restraint for traveling with your pet in your car.

http://www.canineauto.com/
    Automotive Restraint Equipment - Save your dog's life!

http://www.canineauto.com/kwikklip.htm
    Kwik Klip Car Safety Harness

http://www.dogshoe.com/products.html
    NEO-PAWS Products

I liked the Batzi the best. Might use that or a homemade device of rope and clips like the CHAMPION Canine Truck Restraint™ from canineauto.
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Welcome to the board...

If durning the evenings you wanna chat about jeeps check out http://www.itsajeep.org check out our jeep chat.. We would enjoy your input.

I am planning on side steps too..my wife has a hard time climbing in it.

Ok now the next step is naming your jeep, its like a "must" mine's name is TAZZ.

Again welcome aboard!

TWYLIE-thank for the info..I appreciate your help.

Got Jeep?

Snut aka TazzMan

• nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    I took the 7/75 extended warranty option, comprehensive plan. This covers everything the factory warranty does. Including car rental, trip interruption, 24 hour towing and road side service yada yada …

It isn't cheap by any means but it does carry the warranty out far enough to get me passed any "problems" that may occur. My experience with electronics is they are great when they work and they $uck when they don't. So I went for the gusto with coverage, even got the "if I get injured and can't work they make the payments till I can go back to work, and if I get killed they pay it off and my sweetie gets the jeep (yes I trust her that much).

Is it worth it? I have seen it work with other people who got it and got hurt or got a lemon. If I never have to use any of it? Well I believe in "Murphy's Law"….. call it "Murphy's Insurance".

Insurance is a gamble anyway, your betting them something goes wrong and they are betting it won't. At best you'll be out the money, at worst your covered and won't have to worry about it. As for the deductible… $100.00 is a lot of money but electronic, trany and engine problems will cost a lot more. So I would say it is worth it, but that is just me. If you going to do it, however, go all the way with it.

I am going to bolt the hard top to a piece of plywood ,½ inch or better, using the existing bolt holes. With a rest in the front to support front the top. This should help "moving" it around the garage. Additional straps could be used to prevent "wiggling" while moving it. I haven't figured it all out yet….. I am working on it though.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Congrats to all who have bought new jeeps! Saharanut - what a gorgeous new jeep! Boy, I remember when mine was that shiny. It stayed that way for slightly less than a week - I bought it Sunday and went exploring the following Saturday. While it gets regular baths etc. it hasn't looked that good since!

I also opted for the extended warranty. I didn't use it, but I liked the insurance in case something went wrong. I think they were offering 8 years/80,000 miles when I got mine, which is the minimum I would go. Wish I could have gotten 100,000 miles. On the other hand, with 90,000 miles now, and I've never had a problem, it wouldn't have been worth it.

Saturday I was wandering around looking at the Liberty at my local Jeep dealer. He had a decked out Sahara for invoice. I sat in it and thought about replacing my Tacoma with another Wrangler, but (sigh) decided it wasn't a good idea. It had one of the locking trunks, so I finally got a chance to look at one. It would be the first thing I would remove. My hard top has tinted windows so you can't see in the back with the seat open. And I usually travel without the seat in anyway, since our Golden Retriever is usually with us, and the locking trunk would block his access.

Hard top vs soft top - it's all personal and what you want. I haven't had the hard top off mine, and now don't plan on taking it off (I did when I bought it). What with either the snow in the winter or the triple digit weather in the summer, it just seems to work better for us to leave it on. Maybe someday I'll go to the soft top, but not at the moment. Anyway, I sunburn easily!

I'd like some people's opinions - since I've managed to put 90,000 miles on it in just over 3 years, and I plan to keep it at least another 3 years and an additional 100,000 miles, I've been wondering about replacing the timing chain. They don't have any scheduled time, and if I were planning on getting rid of it soon, I wouldn't bother. It's not a cheap repair so I'm not sure it's worth messing with (probably would cost a little less than half of either a used or possibly rebuilt engine). And I did put 290,000 miles on a Nissan pickup without changing it... But a jeep isn't a Nissan. So some of you who also own older Wranglers, let me know what you think/have experienced. I've already had fun with a car that had the timing chain break. I wasn't going very fast, and stopped quickly, so saved the engine, but it was still a nightmare! If it had been on the freeway it would have been good bye engine.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Maybe the car had an overhead cam and a timing BELT rather that a timing CHAIN????

I don't think you have to worry too much about a timing chain. The timing belts for OHC engines are notorious for breaking, and it would be a smart move to replace them once in a while, but I think a timing chain should last almost as long as the engine does. Of course, any part can fail.

Any mechanics in here that can shed some light on the subject? I sure ain't no mechanic! Wouldn't want anyone to take my word for something like this.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Welcome to the group, and congrats on the new 60th!

I know you must be thrilled! Ain't Jeeps the greatest things????

Hope you will be a regular poster and help keep the discussions going.

You might want to post a little bio and the details of your Jeep in Meet the Members. People can always go there to see who you are and what kind of Jeep you have. Your post here on the main board will be hard to find after a lot of new posts come in.

With all due respect for your privacy, please tell us about yourself in Meet the Members. Just the stuff you feel comfortable in making public.

You might read a few of the intro's others have posted to get an idea of what to include.

Just a suggestion, my man.

Once again, welcome!

tsjay

(you can check out my Thelma Jane at

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

if you are interested)

I invited jeepboy727 to join us as we chatted in Gill's chat room tonight. He has registered, but hasn't posted yet.

Everyone be sure to welcome him when he posts, ok?

tsjay

Boy, I am on the verge of buying a Wrangler and had lots of questions yesterday, but nobody seems to have the answers!

Help me please!!!!
    Sorry, Pal, but you're asking technical questions that I don't have the answer to.

All I know is that you will not regret getting a Jeep! I love my Thelma Jane!

Now, get the Jeep! I wish you the best of luck in getting the RIGHT Jeep. I have no experience in buying a used one, but I hope you get a good one.

tsjay

• big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    I got stuck in a brief shower a couple of weeks ago too -- kind of funny. This weekend I encountered the other hazard of top-down driving; strange sunburn patterns.

Somebody posted it a while ago, but it bears repeating -- keep sunscreen in the glove or console! Thanks to Saturday's driving, my thighs and the growing bald spot on the top of my head are scorched, whereas the rest of my body is a pale white. It's quite attractive ...
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    I'm not sure the options you're getting (don't have time to look right now) But most people around here are getting what 21,000 to 24,000. Just depends on what you get. That's for a loaded sport or Sahara (not sure about the 60th, but arn't they cheaper than the Sahara so around 22,000 to 23,000 would seem good to me). As for the Rear axel, a Dana 35 has an Oval shape to it whereas the Dana 44 looks more like a pear turned on it's side. Look at a couple and you can see the difference. As far as gear ratio you'll just have to take their word for it short of opening up the diff cover. It's my humble opinion that Bikini tops are usuless on a TJ. The soft top without the windows in is basically the same thing. I can see the use in them on a YJ or older jeep because the top on those things is difficult to put up so a Bikini top is a quick alternative, but on a TJ the top is so easy to put up that it can be done in seconds. Oh, and to the question of what is it. It is just a cover that goes over the front seat area. It attaches to the Rollbar area or that plastic doorjam area (I don't know exactly because I don't have one). But like I said before, if you want the sun off you then just put your top up with the windows out, pretty much does the same thing and still looks good. They are made by MANY different people from Steel Horse, Besttop, Mopar, etc. Same thing about the Rear duster cover. In my opinion the best combo is from Besttop. It's the Super Bikini over the front seats, The windjammer that goes behind the front seats to keep the wind off and then the Duster cover over the back seat arear. Go to www.Quadratec.com and use these #'s 11130 for the Bikini, #11128 for the Windjammer, and #11154 for th Duster. It is ILLEGAL in ALL states to drive on the road with the windshield down. It's not so much because of the support but because you are required to have a DOT approved piece of glass in front of you while driving. Even motorcycles have this. Now offroad it's a fun thing to do. It's not hard to do infact it tells you how in the owners manual so I'll let you read that instead of taking up more space. Ok, hope this helps some... more questions just let me know.

Happy Jeepin'
    I thought it was OK as long as you have goggles or glasses on, same as for motorcycles.

I know I have seen it before, more than once, though not recently.

Sure looks cool and fun!

(besides, I was referring to off road for the most part)
  • scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    I got a hoist from JCWhitney, and it works great. In fact, I keep mine hung up in the garage all summer. Here's the link direct to the page you need:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=52351&BQ=jcw2

Its only $95 plus shipping. I take the top off and on by myself with minimal effort, and in less than 10 minutes.

I don't see why you can't make one out of some rope and a pulley.

Just make up a harness, lift the top an inch, slide the rope through, lift other side, slide it back out, tie it back (or clip if you want to get fancy), pull the whole thing up with a pulley.

No need to spend $95 hard earned.

Then, drive out, and lower, or, if you trust your rope enough, just tie it off up there.

Or, you could fashion something out of some cheap board strips, and then attach the rope to this.

good luck, and be inventive!!
    Thanks for the thoughts relative to the extended warrany.. I still haven't made up my mind.. I think I have until Wednesday to decide before the price goes up $200. Cost is $620 for 7yrs/50K for the limited warranty... I'm thinking right now, I'll put about 8-10K miles/year... so I should probably check into more miles if I do go with the plan.. it doesn't cover everything, but then again, it would cost double to do that.

SCMHOCKY.. thanks for the link to the hoist site.. I looked at it, the print said something about not to be used with Factory Hardtops... any idea why that note is there? I also looked at some of the other sites referenced yesterday and found some hoists in the $135 dollar range. (sasquach... I think I'd rather spend the money and buy something that works rather than trust my own juryrig and get the top 10ft off the ground only to drop it... that would be my luck!).
    Does $13,900 (ASKING) price sound high or about on for a 97 with 52K miles in MA? I figure if it sounds reasonable, and I don't find better, I'd offer him maybe 11,900 and settle in low 12's. Does that sound close to OK????

Or should I tell him to get lost, and keep looking? What kind of repairs would I be looking at with 52,000 miles? Shocks? Tranny (oil and filter maint.)? Tires are the obvious one! Any other mechanical things? If I do a lift kit, I'm not too worried about shocks anyhow. How about things like steering/water pump/starter? I see it has a replacement battery (a cheapie!). Anything else to look for?
    hey..

I went 2 days with no top...

my bald spot is red with my arms..

I second the idea of keeping sunscreen in your jeep. WOW but i had fun gettin' blistered!!

Yep I;m with notop..i'm better to get a hoist i know will work instead of trying to make one that will not work...

Welcome to the room Jeepboy727..lets see some posting!

Thanx mtngal for your comments on Tazz...

I'm gonna keep him looking that good as long as i can.. no off-roading for him...$24,000 just to get it dirty...I dont think so..

Got Jeep

Snut

Tazzman

http://www.itsajeep.org/public/tazz.htm

Hey Saharnut.... yeah, I agree... these 60th AEs look so fine that I just can't see going mudding or anything close to that... on the other hand, I do plan to get out to some open country for fishing, hiking and so on... just have to watch the tree limbs!
  • jrjeep1jrjeep1 Member Posts: 7
    Congrats nut!!!Way to go man! Those pics of jazz look great.

My sport left Baltimore 14 June in route to me.(Finally). I can't wait to take the top of and break that baby in :) And oh by the way as soon as it is broken in I'll be off the pavement.

It should be here in a couple of weeks. Still no straight answer from the dealer.

To all of you new keepers, Congrats!!!

Keep posting!

jrjeep1
  • jrjeep1jrjeep1 Member Posts: 7
    Well the spell check strikes again!!

Apply 10% rule here.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm certainly not a mechanic and don't have a clue about what to check, but I can tell you a little about maintenance around 60,000 miles. I haven't done anything about the shocks, but the manual calls for changing fluids in transfer case, differentials and auto transmission. Also oil/filter change, spark plugs, radiator flush, and a couple of other somethings that I can't remember off hand (I'm at work and don't have my book with me). Local So. Cal. dealers want $550-650 for the service. One of the dealers tried to tell me that the 60,000 and the 90,000 were the same, but they aren't - 60,000 is more extensive. If you want a complete rundown, let me know and I'll get my book out. I don't think there is that much difference between the 97 and 98 years.
  • potatotoopotatotoo Member Posts: 3
    I was thinking of picking up an oldish (91-94 ish) Wrangler for offroading. I won't be using it that much, so I don't want to buy new, but all the older ones I've seen so far have big miles on them. 100-150k isn't uncommon. How long do engines and (auto) transmissions typically last on Wranglers? If I pick one up with 100k should I expect a maintenence nightmare?

Anything to look for on models of that vintage with an auto? Are there any options that are a neccessity on older wranglers? I seem to remember something about a power assisted brakes option which seems like a really good idea :-)

I'm amazed at how well these things hold their value - even at 10 years old with huge miles.
    I believe i've read that some of the 97's had some problems not realy for sure. The 97's were the first year of the TJ. If using a wrangler that often i would agree to buy a used one.
    but I would REALLY look it over really good.
    I dont know a THING about cars...just put gas in and go...
    Just my .02 worth..

Thanx for the congrats jrjeep..keep us posted on your progress..

Got jeep?
    Snut TazzMan
  • jeepboy727jeepboy727 Member Posts: 14
    The only thing I can suggest is to definitely get one with a 4.0. If you MUST have an auto,(I recommend a manual) you need the bigger engine.

Hello all. Although I do not own a wrangler at the moment, I have had 3 jeeps in the past and am looking to make it 4 in the very near future. I will be sure to keep you informed.
    Welcome, my man! Glad to see that you have broken the ice!

Be a regular poster, and keep us up to date with your quest for a Jeep.

tsjay

• scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    I have a 1999 Sport, with factory dual tops, and I have that hoist. Maybe they changed it or something. Try calling them and find out. It works great for my factory top. Not sure why it wouldn't work though. They do have people available to ask those questions to, and they should give you an honest answer too. OR, you can just build one like sasquatch said.
  • lookin4saharalookin4sahara Member Posts: 53
    OK, the dealer said his bottom line is $500 over invoice take it or leave it. He told me know way to my offer of $200 over invoice. He claims he is selling wranglers faster than he can get them in and doesn't have to sell to me for $100 or $200 over invoice. So, I said show me. Next thing I know I am taking a drive to the lot where that dealer keeps all of his inventory. Tons of liberties (I counted at least 55), cherokees (stopped counting at 70, and there were many more) and GC's (didn't care to count at this point, but it looked like there were more than the cherokees) but only 8 wranglers. The dealer also DOES NOT have a wrangler in the showroom or on the property where the showroom is located. Could a dealer actually be telling the truth? The TJ I am interested in is the only one with a SOFT TOP, everything else is dual tops. Check with other dealers, their inventories are just as tight, and I have yet to find another dealer that is carrying just a soft top. Invoice is 21,373, dealer wants 21,873.

Don't know if I should take it? Maybe NY is a different market than others. Could you guys chime in with your city, state, invoice and price paid. I need to see what is really going on in the rest of the country. Thanks.....

I need to go topless!!!!
    Oh, by the way the dealer claims to be the largest jeep dealer in the northeast. And I would say based on his inventory that he is probably telling the truth.......
  • garagedogsgaragedogs Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am thinking of buying a 95 Jeep Wrangler (4wd). Consumer Reports says not to, but I wanted to hear from some Jeep owners. It has 113,500 miles and the dealer wants $5900. What do you think?
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Inventory here in Atlanta is pretty low too. That's why I'm still waiting for my Sahara to be delivered. Question: On your dealers invoice, look to see what date the TJ you're looking at came in. How long has the dealer had it on the lot? I bet you'll find he's had it for a while. I don't know that I'd buy his line about selling them faster than they can get them in. He'll sell it to you for invoice, or just above, if he knows you won't pay more than that. Don't forget, he'll get the 3% dealer holdback no matter what they sell it to you for.

HOWEVER, if you're not willing to walk away, and you simply MUST have that Wrangler, you better face the possibility of paying a little more than most people. It's your decision. The only real way to know if someone has gone as low as they'll go is to be willing to walk away! You can always reconsider and come back another day! That is, if need be.

Personally, I think $500 above invoice is absurd for this vehicle. That's just my personal opinion. BUT, I have been in the market for a little while now, so I have spoken with plenty of salesmen. Don't torture yourself about it. You either decide if you're willing to pay TOP dollar and get the deal done, or you tell him what you'll pay and be WILLING to walk away. Chances are very good that he'll take your offer. Then you'll both be happy, and he can stop telling you how you don't want him to be able to feed his kids, right?

Hope this helped a little.

Laura
    Brother, it's up to you. I don't think you should grieve yourself to death over a couple hundred bucks.

You can try holding the line at $200 over and see if they call you in a few days. I think he is feeding you a line about selling Wranglers as fast as they come in!

However, in the big picture, what's $300 against a $22,000 purchase? It's just a matter of how bad you want that Jeep, and I sure wouldn't let that kind of money stop me from buying, if I gave him give him some time and he wouldn't back down.

So what if you don't get the world's best deal? If you want that baby bad enough, then go for it!

It probably is the easiest time of year for dealers to move Jeeps, so maybe the market has swung in the dealer's favor.

Just my two cents.

tsjay

By the way, I'm in western Ky, and I paid $200 over back in December.
    I'm not killing myself over it and I agree with you, what's $300 when spending $22,000. I guess I'm just getting caught in the frenzy of people posting here and paying 100-200 over. At the same time I don't like being taken. But hey, liberties are selling $1000 over sticker price. Like I said, NY may be a different market. Tsjay, there are a lot, and I mean a lot!! of people driving new TJ's with 30" wheel groups here in LI, NY with solar yellow being the popular color. According to dealers, they are selling like hotcakes. Every dealer I call say they are almost out of their TJ stock and that the 2002's couldn't come soon enough....... I'll have to think about.
    yea, you're right about the glasses thing, I'm just going by what one of my buddies who's a Cop told me. Yea, it's like why can't I drive without a windshield when the bikers do it. Also another thing to think about is when you drive that thing for the first time, just look at how many bugs you hit on you windshield... Not a bad thing though, if you're Beatlejuice.
    Uhh Ohh, you all know I've gotta say something about this! Yes, they look pretty when their new, but take it off-road once and you're gonna get hooked, if you don't why'd you get a solid axel vehicle that rides like donkey butt on the road? Would you rather get a scratch on a trail and have a story that you're gonna tell everyone or get a ding from a shopping cart and complain about it to everyone? Honestly, I've got more scratch mark from driving on the road than off. All's I'm saying is hat their not going to be scratchless forever, no matter what you do.

Happy Jeepin'
    I just called an auto parts store, looking for some Bosch(sp) spark plugs and was told they don't have them for the 2001's yet. Is there that much difference between the '00s and the '01s?
    Hell I road for over 20 years without a stinking window! Goggles yes. Bees and butterflies tast a little bitter. One thing though when one of those big juicy bugs hits one of your goggles it really messes with your vision.

I do advise keeping your mouth closed while doing this. hummmm no window......... next project (ain't tried that yet) it won't replace my scooter but what the hell.
    That's the spirit, my friend!

Get the best deal you can, of course, but don't let a couple or three hundred bucks keep you out of one of those wonferful little Jeeps!

The summer will be gone before you know it.

And, I'm sure that the 01's are getting scarce. We all know the old supply and demand thing and how it effects pricing.

Also, the selection will get smaller and smaller the longer you wait, and your chances of getting what you want will diminish the longer you wait.

So, I say "go for it," if you find a Jeep that you know you would really like to have.

tsjay

That $5900 for a '95 with 113K miles sounds like a pretty good price, assuming the Jeep is in decent condition.

My cousin paid about that or even a little more for a '93 with 100K miles on it about a year ago.

His Jeep has had no problems at all so far. His is a 4 cylinder five speed.

Hope this helps.

tsjay

Opps....hit the enter key soon.......The salesman let me look at the invoice. As far as I can tell, the dealer received this TJ on 6/12. So it has been on his lot for about week.
    sheeesh....supposed to be oops not opps....As for the dealer feeding me a line about selling faster than he could get them in, of course that is typical dealer rhetoric, but there seems to be some truth to the inventory claim. I'll give it another try today.
    on that '97, what are the warranties?

on the TSB thing, do I pay, or does JEEP pay?

repeat, it has 52,000 miles, and they are asking $13,900. I think I might offer $11,200 and settle around $12,000?

comments?

(I think I want this black beauty, unless a '98 or '99 in green or blue with tan top comes up for around $15-16K.
    The 2000 and 2001 ignition systems are the same. The part number I used was Bosch 4203 for our '01 Sport. I paid $1.80 each. It's an easy swap and removing the coil bar is the only "odd" thing about it. There are no exposed wires and you won't need a spark plug boot puller. I have a short writeup on my site. Good luck.

-twylie
    the warranty is 3/36 so you will have no factory warranty on this Jeep with the possible exception of the emmisions stuff.

TSB are recommendations to the dealerships on how to remedy common problems. The dealer is under no obligation to fix them at their cost. However, if you have a good dealer, many will take care of them at a minimal, or no charge.

Because there are so many factors in buying a used car, I don't think anyone but you can say if this is a good price. You're either willing to pay it or not. I'd guess the dealer would come down some, but until you are confident that the vehicle is in sound mechanical shape and it is the Jeep you want, we can't offer anything other than moral support. From talking to friends that are looking at Jeeps, many dealers are not as willing to slash prices as we enter the prime "top down" season.

-twylie
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Good luck with the salesman today. I hope you get the Jeep! I agree with Tsjay, in the whole scheme of things, a few hundred dollars isn't worth worrying too much about. Just don't forget, your final offer doesn't really have to be your final offer. Just let him think it is! Get your best poker face together and tell him you'll come up $100 and that's your final offer! He's not going to refuse to sell you the vehicle if you tell him later that you've reconsidered. He'll be happy to take your money!

Good luck!
    A guy at work's inlaws are moving to Florida.

They have a '97 Sport with the following: 4.0 L, dual airbags, hard ($755 option) and soft tops, full doors, 15X7 wheels, cargo net, Sport package #25D(convenience, full spare, extra size fuel tank, tilt steer/intermittent wipers, HD alternator/battery), trac lock, rear defroster.

They paid $19,580 in 1997, and now they are asking $16,500 right now (not in huge hurry to sell, moving to Florida in July/August). NADA gives it a $11,975 trade in and $14,300 retail.

Did I mention it has a trailer hitch, minor rear end accident (fixed, and looks perfect), and they are throwing in a small 4X4 trailer. It has full hard doors and dual tops, plus these little bar thingies like a gate for when the doors are off (with mirror attachment points)which I would sell if I got it. Can you have soft doors with hard top? I really dislike those full doors.
  • crazyjprcrazyjpr Member Posts: 8
    For all those who might think that the extended service plan is a big gamble... Have I got news for you. This time last week I dropped off my '00 NJ and do you think I have it back yet? Nope... Not a word about it other than the fact that the service plan I bought is going to cover the projected $2200 repair bill (minus $50 deductible). Keep in mind, this NJ is 18 months old and it has had more problems in the last three months than I have had with my four previous vehicles (one was even a Ford Bronco!) combined. My advice, go for the service plan. I knew going in to my purchase that Wranglers are about as reliable as a forecast for rain in the Sahara desert, so I had no reservations regarding spending the money for the plan. It's already paid for itself - assuming I get my p.o.s. back this week. I'm starting to get hissed with the dealer's service though. Not even a phone call from them to let me know what's going on. I have to keep calling them and wringing the info out of the moron who claims to be a service "manager". And how about them having the car for a week now and not giving me a loner car? Bastards.

So... My words of cautionary advice - get the service plan if you can. It will probably save you a headache later if your NJ acts up like mine has.

Anyone know that phone number to call for complaints to Chrysler/Jeep? I'm about ready to fire off a ripper of a complaint letter to the dealership, but I want some words with Chrysler too.