Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    lookin'..
    I agree with Tsjay & Saharagal... If its what you want I say go for it.. From my point of view its more of a waste of money to pay for something you dont like rather pay extra for what ya want.
    Plus withe the finance charges low..you will make up the $300 buying now than waiting for later. I paid $200 over invoice too (197 + 3 for lemon law.) and th3 4.9% financing I believe I got a very good deal. I drove to Atlanta to get my Tazz

hey Spyrodragon..I was young & foolish like you once too..(wish I was still that way) But if i'm paying for something its gonna look good as long as I can keep it that way. So you stay on the offroads & tell us your stories.

Got Jeep?
    Snut?.. AKA BamaTazz
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Where'd you get him? Just curious! I'm getting mine from Nalley in Roswell.

Laura
  • notop1notop1 Member Posts: 14
    I live in Minnesota... probably a lot different market than NY... but here are some facts. Before I went to see my local dealer I checked jeepwarehouse.com to see what they could do... they have an online configurator that gave me the following Invoice prices and their price. I've also compared to the price for the TJ the local dealer had on the lot (the one I purchased... it was either $100 over invoice or 200... there was $100 extra somewhere in thier base cost - the price was good enough that I didn't argue about it and got them to throw in a wheel cover in the deal.)

I'd check the Jeep Warehouse site.. they have a number that you can call and talk directly to someone... I didn't pursue and don't know about delivery, etc. They are located in Indianna I think. By the way, my local dealer has 4-5 more Wranglers on the lot and they've been there for a few months. Only one with manual and all with hardtop or dual tops.

Jeep Warehouse Local Dealer (Adamsons)
    TJJH77 Sport Invoice 17,543 17,543
    4.0L Automatic 0 (550 - 550 discount = 0) 0
    24D quick order pkg 546 546
    Dual Top 1,373 1,373
    Air Cond 788 788
    Fog lamps/Tow hooks 158 158
    Compact Disk 110 110
    Speed Control 220 220
    30 in Tire Group 590 590
    5 speakers/subwoofer 176 176
    60th Anniv Edition --- 238 (524 - 286 discount)
    Deep tint windows --- 321
    Advertising 300 335
    Destination chg 585 585
    Mailings & gas --- 33
    Unknown chg? --- 100

Invoice Total 22,389 23,116
    Incentive -500 Jeep Discount 0 (took 1.9/36 month finance)
    Total Invoice Price 21,889 23,116
    Dealer Quote 21,738 (under dealer cost) 23,216 (100 or 200 over cost)

Good Luck.
    I used the Emonds page to get a quote on extended warranties.. the one I got was from Warrantybynet.com . There Adavantage (7/80K) was $854 versus Chryslers's basic power train (7/76K) $840 but was a lot more comprehensive and is $50 deductable versus Chrysler's $100 deductable. Is your warranty plan with Chrysler or a third party? Anyone else had any experience with 3rd party warranties?
    Ugh... that post formatting got real ugly... let's try the following

Jeep Warehouse
    TJJH77 Sport Base 17,543
    4.0L Automatic 0 (550 - 550 discount = 0)
    24D quick order pkg 546
    Dual Top 1,373
    Air Cond 788
    Fog lamps/Tow hooks 158
    Compact Disk 110
    Speed Control 220
    30 in Tire Group 590
    5 speakers/subwoofer 176
    Advertising 300
    Destination chg 585

Invoice Total 22,389
    Incentive -500 Jeep Discount
    Total Invoice Price 21,889
    Dealer Quote 21,738 (under dealer cost)

Local Dealer (Adamsons)
    TJJH77 Sport Base 17,543
    4.0L Automatic 0 (550 - 550 discount = 0)
    24D quick order pkg 546
    Dual Top 1,373
    Air Cond 788
    Fog lamps/Tow hooks 158
    Speed Control 220
    30 in Tire Group 590
    5 speakers/subwoofer 176
    60th Anniv Edition 238 (524 - 286 discount)
    Deep tint windows 321
    Advertising 335
    Destination chg 585
    Mailings & gas 33
    Unknown chg? 100

Invoice Total 23,116
    Incentive 0 (I took 1.9/36 month financing)
    Dealer Quote 23,216 (100 or 200 over cost)
    I got Tazz from Jasper Jeep
    North of Atlanta. My local dealer found the jeep I was looking for..but jasper jeep refused to do a dealer trade with him. So I called them they quoted me 200 over invoice. I drove over to get it. Did all the work over the phone. Very pleasent dealer to work with. my salesman name was Ron Richardson. They Have a HUGE Jeep inventory. You should check them out!

Got Jeep?
    Snut BamaTazz
  • caraddictedcaraddicted Member Posts: 3
    How reliable is this site? I've never heard of them before. With Jeep's 4.9% and the great price this site is showing, the Wrangler is a steel!
    Don't know... I only got their price (instant). Never followed up to talk to a real person, but I had seen them mentioned in a post a month or so ago on this forum and thought I'd check it out. While I didn't use them directly.. I did use the info to bargain with my dealer. I printed off the sheet I got on the jeepwarehouse site with all the information about "my vehicle" and their price, took it to my dealer and said.. ok here is the price I've got. They didn't quite match, but did go the $100 over invoice. One thing that I should have done is check out availability with jeepwarehouse..... if I were doing it over again, I'd make the call and make sure they had a real jeep on their lot, get the specs and a quote before going to my own dealer... I'd also ask all the questions about delivery, etc. They do have a list of testimonials on their site... but who knows.
    Note... the incentives are either $500 or reduced financing... not both... you don't get the $500 AND 4.9%
  • jamey22jamey22 Member Posts: 3
    *Lurk Mode Off*
    I've been reading the posts on this list for about a month, and I have finally found need of help. My local Chevy dealership has a Wrangler on the lot. (And I have Wrangler Fever.) Details are:

2000 Wrangler Sport
    Silverstone
    5 Speed
    Canyon Wheels
    Black Soft Top Only
    AM/FM Cassette
    Cruise
    Nerf Bars
    Tubular Front Bumper
    Black Interior
    13,050 miles
    $19,900 negotiable

My question: Is this a good deal? Should I go in and close the deal now, or just leave it alone? Salesman says that they will come down from that price, so I was considering offering $18,000 firm and letting him "work me up" to about $18,500. I need advice!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I looked up the value of the Jeep you described in the used car section here in Edmunds, and it came out $18,383 dealer retail. That's including air conditioning, which you didn't mention as one of the options.

You can look it up for yourself with the proper options included.

The dealer's price is way high, especially if the Jeep does not have air conditioning.

I love Silverstone Jeeps! That was a very, very close second choice to the white that I ended up getting.

Good luck.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    hello welcome to the board!!

19,900 is WAY to high to me...

I agree with you I would start with 17,900 first then go up.

Did you check out what edmunds has listed?

how many miles were on it?

again welcome to the board. Keep us posted

Snut aka BamaTazz

Got Jeep?

http://wwwitsajeep.org/public/tazz.htm

• lookin4saharalookin4sahara Member Posts: 53
    It's more like I have settled, but it is something I can live with. We agreed on $350 over invoice.....

for those who care, here are the details...
    He was ready to tell me to walk. I was at $300 over invoice, and pretty adamant about it. He was not budging at $500. I told him there was no way I was paying $500 over. Then I threw out $350. That raised his eyebrow. I said that is as high as I go. He took the usual salesman's walk over to his manager and came back and said Ok.

What a pain in the butt!! You guys should come up here to NY and try getting 100-200 over invoice. Not that I don't think any of you can, but I would sure like to witness it.

So I'm buying a sport!!! Should take delivery on Saturday or Monday.

I guess I'll need a new handle for edmunds.

Anyone interested in buying a red 97 cherokee, 5spd, in excellent condition?

Oh yea, I took the 1.9 % financing.

notop1: that website is something. Are those prices are for real?

Here are the jeep details:

sport w/25D package
    30" wheel group (you all know it includes Dana 44 w/3.73)
    CD w/subwoofer
    Tow hooks and fog lamps
    storage trunk
    side steps
    AC
    Full doors
    Forest green w/camel interior and top

Does not have:
    hard top (yes!!)
    tracloc (will install detroit truetrac before winter)
    speed control (too crowded here in the northeast anyway)

Thanks everyone......
    The salesman says to me, after we agreed on a price, that I got away with murder today and that family gets at best $500 over. I just shook my head. Tough crowd......
    Don't you guys think that DC should drop the rest of there American line and sell nothing but wranglers. The profit they are making on these things is out of control. Think about, $22,000 ($21,730 in my case) for a vehicle that doesn't have much to it. No sound deadening material, barely a carpet (well not a very good one), not much sheet metal, hardly any glass w/soft top only, not much in the way of technology.....

now relax everyone. I am not trashing TJ's. I love these things. It has been 10 years since I had one. Just trying to make a point.

Does anyone know how much it actually costs DC to build one of these things?
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

I'm PROUD of you! Who care about a measley $150 more than a lot of us paid? SO WHAT? BIG DEAL!

The most important thing is that you have your Jeep! Nothing else matters!

Good for you!

Now get some pics posted, please! She sounds like a beauty.

I am truly happy for you. Good luck with that baby.

tsjay

I think you did just fine! Can't wait to hear all the details about your drive home.

I'll be here in Hotlanta waiting for my Sahara to arrive. Hey, maybe I should change my name to Waitin4Sahara! Everyone's getting a Jeep but me!

By the way, now DC's saying mine should ship out on June 29th!

Have fun!
    Maybe this will make you feel better about the high price that they charge for Jeeps. It made me understand a little better when someone explained it to me this way.

Jeeps are produced on a small scale, so they have to have a higher profit per vehicle. If they were mass produced and every other vehicle you meet on the road was a Jeep, they could be priced lower. Personally, I am glad that Jeeps are kind of rare and that you don't see all that many on the road as compared to other vehicles. It's worth the higher price to me to have something "special."

Once again, my good friend, congratulations!

tsjay

• jamey22jamey22 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, Tsjay.

I had looked up the prices, but between Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, and Carpoint, I had about a $1,500 spread in prices. I just needed a little validation that if I could get the guy down to $18,250 or $18,500 that I wouldn't be getting taken. It does have AC, and that was a monumental oversight on my part not to list it. I mean, top down will be nice here in SE Georgia, but AC is a necessity.

The only quirk I noticed when I test drove it today was that it had a sudden pull to the left or right in straight travel. There was no wind (that would provide too much relief to those of us suffering under the heat and humidity), so I know that it wasn't being blown around. I will check the air pressure in the tires tomorrow. When I had the Flintstone tires changed on my 99 Silverado, I had the same sensation. I lowered the air pressure from 45 to 36 and the handling improved 100%.

Thanks again for the support. We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow, and then we'll see what the Boss (read that as the Wife) says.

jamey22
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Conggratulations. It sounds like an awesome Jeep and if it's been 10 years since you last had one, you'll be shaking your head for a while at how great the new ones are.

Be sure to let us know how the Detroit diff is in the snow. I've read that a true locker can be a handful in the snow, especially in off camber situations, but I haven't seen anyone on the other Jeep boards say they don't like their Detroits.

Once again, welcome to the club, and think, a couple hundred more than others have paid is just a handful of fillups! As tsjay said, who cares about a few lousy bucks now that you're getting your Jeep!

-twylie
    One more thing....

If I were you, I would definitely want to talk to the previous owner of that Jeep before I bought it.

That's just a good policy for the purchase of any used vehicle. You have to wonder why someone would trade in such a new Jeep? It's possible that the Jeep was fine but just turned out not to be the right type of vehicle for its previous owner. It's also possible that it was a lemon.

You will have warranty protection going for you, but you still might avoid a major headache by checking with the previous owner before buying.

And, you're welcome. Always glad to help a fellow Jeep lover.

tsjay

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    12 months after selling my 97 Sahara, I finally am getting another. For those interested in the sorted details: 2001 Sahara, auto, white, dual tops, dana 44, canyon wheels, cruise, trunk thing. MSRP is 26150, buying at invoice and taking the low financing. (Lookin4Sahara is right - DC is making a killing on these things. I read about 4-5 years ago that the Wrangler was grossing a $9000 profit on each one!)

Immediately adding power windows and wet okole seat covers to it. If anyone knows anything about adding power locks and keyless entry let me know.

By the way, the $500/low APR has been extended to July 31st.

Should be here sometime in the next 3 weeks or so.

Finally!
  • no_loadno_load Member Posts: 4
    Jeep newbie here. What is a Tazz?
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    What are those? Where can I see a good sized picture of them?
    Just curious... I purchased the 30 inch wheel group with my new 60AE.. the book says that the Dana comes with it.. but the brochure also seems to indicate that when you get it with automatic, the Dana does not come with it... anyone know?
    Congratualtions!!

I belive you got a good deal...you will make up the difference in your 1.9%..thats a great rate!

Sounds like you got a beauty there...need to get some pics posted for us!!

Congrats to you too Jackbnimble!!

WOW!! we are growing like a wild fire!!

look at all those new jeeps!

NO Load.. Tazz (Tasmanian Devil) is the name of my jeep..

Its a jeeps owners must,.. to name your jeep.

Tsjay's is Thelma Jana

Tonka Dave's is Tonka Jeep

GOT JEEP?

Snut aka BamaTazz

http://www.itsajeep.org/public/tazz.htm

the Dana 44 is an option...I belive is comes with dana 35..if your not doing any serious off-roading
    dana 44 is over kill..

Got Jeep?
    Snut
    If anyone has details about the power options being added aftermarket, please post. I'm wondering how reliable they are and how expensive it is to have it done? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Laura
    I thought ALL Jeeps had "keyless entry"!!!

Windows? What are windows?
    ".... It has full
    hard doors and dual tops, plus these little bar thingies like a gate for when the doors are off (with mirror attachment points)which I would sell if I got it. Can you have soft doors with hard top? I really dislike those full doors."

Yet, after driving the black 97 described earlier, I am not so sure I liked the half doors either. (It was hot out, but the top was up due to severe lightning storm imminent any minute, yet I REALLY wanted to test drive it!) Also, the front driver tire made a thwapping sound like it might be cupped or something. Something to worry about? I couldn't see any visible cupping, and would replace tires maybe in August anyhow, but don't want to replace again in December if you know what I mean.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Woa Woa... Power windows? Power Locks? Keyless Entry? May I remind you that Jeep also makes other vehicles with this option (cherokee, grand cherokee, and dare I say it... Liberty.) The reason that Wrangers do not have the options is because the DOORS CAN BE REMOVED, therefore there is no hole in the door for the wires to be run through. You will have to remove the door panel and drill a hole in the side. To me this defeats the purpose of buying a wrangler because you wont be able to take the doors off unless you have disconnects on the wires. Ask TSJay how much fun it is to drive around with the doos off. But whatever floats your boat. Check the link below, they might have something, I know they've got the windows... I've seen someone have a writeup on power locks but don't remember where.

Ok, I suggest that EVERYONE here goes to www.QUADRATEC.com and order a subscripsion... There are alot of good deals inside and they also have a section in the back where you can order pretty much any other magazine... If you want good add on's this is the mag to get them from. That's where you'll find the wet okole seat covers.
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    The Dana 44 is a good option if you are planning to add taller tires, do harder off roading, adding lockers or just want a better axle. The Dana 35 is an ok axle but the weakness is smaller axles, thinner axle tubes and c-clips for axle rention. Getting the Dana 44 will not work with the ABS brakes but you will not worry as much when your 50 off road.
  • grayhairgrayhair Member Posts: 1
    I have been reviewing Wranglers as part of my midlife crisis. I will be doing very little off road driving and not many long trips. Is it worth the extra bucks to buy the Sport over the SE? I will need air. I plan on getting only the soft top. This will just be a "weekend Jeep". Your thoughts are appreciated
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    The decision between 4cyl and 6cyl can be a hard one. I bought the 6 cyl because I do a lot of driving, and wanted the extra power. When I drove the 4 cyl, the "get up and go" didn't seem to be there. If you are going to be driving at lower speeds, and doing off roading, the 4cyl will be everything you need. However, if you plan on spending any time on the road at high speeds, go for the 6cyl. Since you are planning on getting AC, the 6 cyl would be worth the extra money, because of the extra strain on the engine. If you are planning on the auto tranny, pass the 4 cyl, because it is way under powered with the auto. (Again, you will see this most on the main roads. I had a friend with a '95 4 cyl with auto, and it was fine in the mud and other off road conditions, but just wasn't fast enough on the road.) The real world gas mileage seems to be the same between both engines, plus the 6 cyl is rock solid. However, if you are just going to play around, the 4cyl might work just fine. Hope this helps without further muddying the waters!

Jeephead
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Wet Okole seat covers can be purchased from Quadratec, but there is a bit more selection from their web site:

http://www.wetokole.com/

The power windows are from Quadratec - they are made specifically for the WRangler, and accommodate the removeable doors.

I figured I would encounter some alarms when I mentioned "city-fying" by wrangler critter, but I'm giving up a Chrysler 300M and can't go completely cold turkey on everything. Besides, I sorely missed not having power locks and windows on my old Wrangler.

Regarding the traclok/Dana44 - what is the answer? It looks like the traclok is included with the Dana44, but does anyone know for sure? I know the retail on mine is 595, more than just the 44 alone.

Whats all this with naming your Jeep? My old one seemed to do fine when I just called it "the Jeep". Maybe thats like naming a dog "boy" though.

I just realized I've NEVER had power windows or locks.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've never had a vehicle with power anything, either. Thought I was some type of old-fashioned person, a dead breed, especially when I read car reviews! My husband would like keyless entry - he thinks that's really cool, and it would be handy when it is in the triple digits. On the other hand, he would probably lose the remote, like he did for the security alarm on a truck he once had. The funny thing about that was that I guess someone else had a vehicle with the same frequency, because occasionally he would go out and set off the alarm when he got in it! He couldn't have set it because he didn't have the remote, and he always had to go inside and get the second one to shut it up.

I test drove the 4 cylinder and drove it up a steep hill behind the dealership. That convinced me to get the I6, and I'm very happy I did. When I got it I was planning on only using the Jeep in the mountains, mainly off-roading, but since first I had to get there... Now I use it part of the year as my primary mode of transportation (see the pictures in the owners section of one morning in February at my house).
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    A spare tire cover for son in laws new Wrangler; Must have the Chicago Black Hawks Hockey logo on it.'
    Please advise;
    bjritchey@ webtv.net.
    Thank you
    Need it for Christmas Gift!
    Any other gift suggestions?
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    sasquatch_2000
    Why do you want a hardtop?
    A hitch mounted cargo carrier will limit your off-roading severely. If it is just mild off-roading it will work but your departure angle is killed with it.

Grayhair
    I second Jeephead's comments about 4 vs 6. For me personally I would rather walk than drive a 4 cyc Jeep. I know how they are on the highway.

notop1
    I have some sidesteps that I want to get rid of. Email me or let me know if you are interested.
    "Add a Trunk" is removable and keep in mind it is not very secure. These guys have some secure products
    http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

Dana44
    I think the Dana44 would be good to have for resale. Not everybody would be looking for it but it cost a lot less to get one with it then to add it.

Nothing wrong with getting power locks and windows on your Jeep if that is what you want. For me, I don't lock my doors because I don't want my windows to get slashed. I would buy power zipper windows if they made em. :)

I have never owned power doors or windows but to me keyless entry is a must on a car. Most of my manuals didn't even have a rpm gauge. I hated seeing a rpm gauge in somebody's automatic.
    "Why do you want a hardtop?"

It is easier to sweep a foot of snow off a hard top, I figure.

"A hitch mounted cargo carrier will limit your off-roading severely. If it is just mild off-roading it will work but your departure angle is killed with it."

I thought the beauty of this design is you can REMOVE IT before taking to the trails. That way, you can take a bunch of stuff with you on vacation, and leave it at the camp site. At least that is what I was thinking anyhow. Also for the beach.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    Check out the rear bumper with cargo rack on this site - http://www.bulletproofmfg.com/

That is the same bumper I just installed (without the cargo rack). They are not cheap, but I really believe that it would stop a speeding bullet!!!

• jeepboy727jeepboy727 Member Posts: 14
    I found a 2000 Sport, silver stone, 6000 miles,exactly what I want!!!! And they only want $15,000. If they only had not sold it an hour before I got there. So Close. Oh well, there's a red one I am going to look at tomorrow.
    The jeep I am purchasing has the 30" wheel package and the Dana 44 is included, but mine is a 5spd.
    Thanks everyone, but I am still a little bothered by the price especially after visiting that jeepwarehouse.com site. Sheeesh, can you guys believe those prices?...... All of you fellow jeepers have to understand something. Around here, a dealer does not need my piddly 200 or 300 over invoice when there are plenty of people who pay cash and pay just about full sticker. I even know of couple of them. Now I am not tooting my horn or anything because I am certainly not part of that crowd nor do I ever want to be, but it is the area. Has anyone ever heard of the gold coast? Well, Long Island, or as some pronounce it lon-guy-land, is it. This is the gold coast and a lot people have money coming out of their you know what. So why should a dealer bother with me. The only reason he came down is because he knew I was not going away so easily. I would move if I can convince my wife. I'm working on it.......

Thanks again.......I hope everyone is right about it being worth the hassel......and the $$$$
    It seems like ever since they started that chat transcript message board, the chats have not worked properly. Is there a connection?

We have had people that can't even get into the chat, which happened to me for the first time tonight, and we have had strange behaviour for those who have been able to get in.

Last couple weeks, I was able to get in, but had to hit the "refresh" button for new posts to show up. Tonight, I couldn't even get in at all.

What's the deal????

I loved that chat!

tsjay

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey tsjay, texasjeep told us you (and tonkadave) were haven't no luck getting in the chat tonight. Major bummer.... Drew and pf_flyer know about it, and will complain (again) to the tech guys.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    Just calculated my mileage… 23 mpg. Did it 3 times came out the same, now if I could just figure out how I did it.

TsJay.. don't feel to bad I had a hell of a time just logging on tonight, last couple of days have been hard. Could be lag on the web (maybe the power crunch).
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Well I made a wish for my 38th birthday today, but alas...no Black soft top Sahara in the driveway with my name on it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to get it the old fashioned way...work my tail off working one or two jobs and going to school. I congratulate all of you that have become Wrangler owners. I hope to one day join the ranks of Official Jeep Wrangler owners, but it might take a couple of years. Hey tsjay, when they list the time by each posting, what time is listed is it pacific, central, or eastern? I just wanted to know so I can try to get on when you all are doing it live. But I may not be able to get on live when school starts up again.

Again, Congratulations New Wrangler Owners! :)

dwrangler

when you hug your jeeps today, give em' a hug for me til I get mine.

(hopefully I can change my tag name as soon as my birthday wish comes true...I haven't hit my mid life crisis early at 38 today have I?) As far as grey hair goes, that started showing up in my 20's :O ;)
    The times are pacific, so they are two hours behind our time (I'm on central time too).

Join us in Gill's chat room sometime! Several of us get in there about every night.

http://itsajeep.org/public/chat.html

Don't give up on your dream... you'll have that Jeep some day. In the mean time, just hang with us.

tsjay

Invited another guy to join us. Met him in Gill's chat room last night. His name is Tom, and he is from Toronto.

I don't know what username he will post under, but he checked out our board as we were chatting and said he really liked it.

So, give him a big Wrangler IV welcome when he posts his first message.

tsjay