Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Do you have the Sport Package? If so, try to make sure that the tire pressure is at 32 psi. If it is and the ride is still unacceptable, the other alternative is to try and get 18" wheels/tires instead and see if that alleviates the stiff ride somewhat. That would be a bit cheaper than taking the depreciatio hit on a 5-month old FX.

I wanted the 20" rims on the FX but it meant having to get the Sport Package. Since our FX is the babymobile, I chose the regular suspension with the 18" rims. The ride is perfect for my family and I.
    Do not buy this crossover if you have children. Instead, consider a Lexus.

A Lexus, it is not. To me, that is a good thing. You can still buy the FX even if you have children. We did and we're very happy with it. The best advice I can give to prospective buyers with kids, try to testdrive the FX with your usual backseat passengers available. And you might want to forego the sport package if a comfy ride is what you're looking for. The regular suspension with 18" rims are perfect for us. And it still handles better than the RX330.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    my dealer ,infinity is 20 miles away and i read here that someone has to drive 2 hours to get to their infinity dealer.

well,remember that this is a nissan engine easily serviced by nisaa dealers ,and therefore ,i took my fx35 to a nissan dealer ,5 miles away. great service bays with a/c here in miami.
    and, cost of the full 3750 miles service $ 21.80.

only thing that a nissaN DEALER CANNOT DO is warrranty work on the infinity.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    The fx also served as our primary family transport and my daughter and son were never awakened and never complained. Try lowering your tire pressure the ride is firm but with correct pressure it is not rough unless you are on coblestone or just terrible pavement.

the lexus has a ni...... zzzzzz...... snore.... oops I fell asleep just thinking about the lexus lol. One drive was enough to tell me this was not the car for me. If you are looking real closely at the rx330 then the FX is not for you. Also the suspension for the 04's were softened and I like the ride in my 03. Like crikey suggests if it is really that much of a pain stick to the touring package. I'm sure you will have no problem trading your 20" rims for someones 18's
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    A matter of personal opinion, of course. If the goal was a soft, cushy ride, the FX purchase was a rather uninformed decision. The whole premise of the vehicle is to have sporty on-road capabilities while retaining some utility. That being said, my 4 year old and 6 month old ride in our FX 45 daily. Although the infant isn't too articulate about her preferences, she has no trouble sleeping. The older one adamantly prefers the FX to either our Durango or M3. Even the mother in law has ridden in the back, and has since considered getting one of her own. All depends on what you want from a vehicle.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I have had some problems similar to those you describe. The worst incidence was in late Feb when the XM unit suddenly lost the signal and then attempted to download for two hours. As we were driving through the Florida Everglades, I did not stop during this time. As soon as I stopped the car at the destination, turned the ignition off and then restarted the engine, the problem went away immediately. Since then I have had sporadic recurrences(maybe a dozen) where the unit just seems to lose the signal and then spends 20-60 seconds "downloading" and then it just fixes itself. This latter situation seems to happen most frequently when I change channels. The "Florida incident" was at night so I don't think temp played a role. The others have been in daytime and nighttime. I have not asked the Houston dealer about the situation, since so far it is not reproducible.
  • socalbobsocalbob Member Posts: 23
    .I have had some problems similar to those you describe. The worst incidence was in late Feb when the XM unit suddenly lost the signal and then attempted to download for two hours.

Yes, that's exactly the problem. I haven't tried the restarting-the-car trick, but my dealer recommended it and I willnext time it happens.
  • mwitt3mwitt3 Member Posts: 15
    Have a new 04 FX35 and have to agree with earlier posts that there is a design flaw on the fresh air inlet. In fact there is no option to get fresh outside air thru the vents. If the outside temp is 70 and you set for outside air circulation without ac you get heated air. You can dial down to 60 F and still end up with heated air. All of this is no problem in the winter or stifling heat of summer as you will be on heat or ac but if the weather is nice outside this is a problem. Definite design flaw, I plan on letting infiniti know. Otherwise car is perfect.
  • nickanicka Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a FX soon. Anyone, have any idea when the 2005 is coming out ? Also usually when you a new model comes out, how much % does the older model price drop by ?
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    September looks like the best bet. 2004 FXs can be had for close to invoice at the moment and there a rumours of a "significant" price increase on 2005 models.
  • tampabaytampabay Member Posts: 18
    Just got delivery of mt new FX 35. Love the car.

My read out on the Sirius sat shows only the channel no not the channel name. My dealer says thats how it should be. Is that right ? So in other words if im listening to cnbc i have to remember the channel no ?

Thanks
  • tampabaytampabay Member Posts: 18
    Found out how to do it on another forum ( a sirius radio forum). Basically once on sat you push in the knob on the right and rotate from channel no to channel name to title etc.

Works great now.
  • dutch47dutch47 Member Posts: 8
    I've had my 2004 FX35 AWD for four months and 5,000 miles and I love this SUV. It's the best of both worlds since it handles like a sports car but has the room of a SUV. Granted not as much room as most SUV's in it's class but I'm willing to trade the extra room for the great styling. I love the way it handles, accelerates, and the sound of the exhaust. I don't have a problem with the way it rides but I've seen some complaints about a rough ride. If you are considering buying an FX35 or 45 be sure and test drive over different types of roads. Remember it has a sports tuned suspension, which I think is great, but a somewhat stiff suspension may not be what you are looking for. If you are looking for something that floats down the road with no road feel this may not be what you are looking for. The interior is well laid out and the seats are very comfortable. I am amazed at the number of people who have asked me about the car every time I stop for gas or park to go into the store. I suppose with such aggressive styling it either appeals to someone or not. So far, the service I've received from the Infiniti Dealership has been first class. Fit and finish is as good as any luxury car I've ever seen. Milage seems to run between 18 and 20mpg city or highway which surprised me since I thought I would get better milage on the interstate but I haven't so far. I certainly have no regrets but for those still trying to decide it just depends on what you are looking for and what you find important in an SUV.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Glad you figured it out. Please check out the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion here too. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • drcsfdrcsf Member Posts: 36
    I have had my FX45 about 4 months and 5000 miles also. The more I drive this thing the more I feel as though someone finally made the perfect vehicle for me. I am truly a sports car guy at heart, but now 45 years old, 6'3" and 220 lbs and with a tempermental back from football, I really don't do well in smaller sports cars or sedans any more. My last vehicle was a 2002 GMC Envoy, which was my first SUV. I bought it for the size and height getting in and out - it was actually an excellent truck but certainly not a great handler.

I first drove an FX35 when my sister in law bought one last year. The styling was a little over the top for me but the size, drive, utility etc was a combination I did not think existed. Six months later I traded the envoy and bought my FX45. I still think the styling is over the top, especially with those 20" wheels. I see people looking at it all the time, perhaps because it is so radical or because its still sort of rare in my area (Baltimore). But from inside the car I could not be happier. The ride is stiff, but nowhere near too much so for me. The seats adjust and fit me wonderfully - my back feels better with this lumbar support then any other vehicle I've owned. The features like keyless entry and starting, the stereo and layout could not be better for me. The FX feels, sounds, handles and acclerates like a true sports car, but with the seats down holds my road bike under the hatch with room to spare - amazing. My V8 averages 17.1 mpg - not bad for 315 hp. And the car just swallows pavement - I can't believe how quickly the car gets up to speed and how effortlessly it stays there. Although I am not an agressive driver I just seem to get everywhere quicker.

I usually change vehicles every couple of years. But this one is a keeper. I agree with dutch47 - I am extremely pleased and have no regrets. Thanks Infiniti.

Craig
  • johnsonlau703johnsonlau703 Member Posts: 12
    I am looking into buying a FX and I want to ask if there are any known/suggested changes on the 2005 FX apart from the color and lane departing function. Any help and suggestion on what the 2005 FX would be like is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • pat7pat7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm very interested in the FX35 RWD but I don't like the ride. Does anyone have experience with a "H" rated tire instead of the stiffer tires that are standard? In my experience a tire has as much or more impact on the small bumps around town at low speed than the suspension. How would a standard FX ride with a softer tire?
    It's not going to make that much difference. The FX is a sports car as much as an SUV and is set up accordingly. word has it that it does soften a little around the 8,000 to 10,000 mile mark. Also, if you've been test driving at a dealership, get them to check the tyre pressures. The cars are shipped with 40-45 psi in the tyres and a lot of dealers forget to lower this once they get the cars.
    Looking at the 2005 option list, the stuff you mentioned is pretty much it. It doesn't look like the 2005 will be here until late September / October.
    Went on a weekend trip to Siesta Key and our FX35 AWD averaged 23 to 24 mpg from Orlando to Siesta Key and back. It was a short drive, about 150+ miles one-way.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    True. Standing near the garage I heard a loud clanging sound and something heavy and metal hit the concrete. I thought a chipmunk had bumped something off a shelf. Not so. Next day when I backed out, I found a 1x3 inch black medal plate that....it turns out.....was attached to eight other identical plates all hanging off the transmission. It's part of a vibration damper I think. Dealer agrees and is trying to identify a part number so they can order a new one for me. It's only on the FX 35 by the way, the FX45 does not have the item.

Also now getting what I think is sun roof rattling...will have to ask the wife to drive while I sort out the rattle. Another rattle from the rear may be an echo or may be the rear hatch. Oh well.

Car is now 8 months old and has 13K miles.

Oh..consistantly getting 18.1 miles to the gallon combined city and highway driving.

Roll
  • jaybirdjaybird Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to pick up an FX on a lease this weekend, but the current incentives expire Monday. Does anyone have a clue what the next incentives may be? After a drive, I hate to wait. But if they are looking to clean house to make room for the 05's, maybe the incentives would be enough to put the 45 with in reach! Thanks
    I would expect the current incentives to be renewed. Last year the incentives didn't really kick in until October and November. I remember around Xmas last year it was pretty easy to pick up a 2003 FX45 for $7000 off MSRP.
  • drcsfdrcsf Member Posts: 36
    I think Nationwide Infiniti in Timonium, Maryland has two 2003 FX45's still unsold, for over $10,000 off list, but neither has the technology package.
  • kevin_nkevin_n Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,

Two questions from someone who might be interested in purchasing an FX:

1. Does the FX have rear air conditioning/heating vents?

2. Can the rear seat be moved backwards/forwards?

Thanks!
    1. Yes.

2. No, but the seat backs to have a degree of tilt.
  • leccolecco Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys,
    Test drove the FX35 yesterday and absolutely fell in love with it. Heard from the price paid forum that you can get FX35 under invoice...wondering if that price included some type of incentive/rebate? And what are the rebate/incentive that jaybird and wibble was refering to post #2117 and 2118? I want to wait till winter before I buy but they are currently running 1.9% for 36 or 2.9% for 60 months and it ends sept 7. Should I jump in or will you guys think there will be better deal? thanks!
    The incentive for July (I haven't found out if it's current for August yet) was $500 cash back to the dealer. FX35s have been selling for $100-$200 over invoice so with this dealer cash it should be obtainable for $300 or so under.
    The 2005 models are due in October. Last year, a 2003 could be picked up in Jan/Feb for $5000 off MSRP. Wether the same will happen this year I don't know.
    The 1.9/2.9 financing has been around for almost a year now. Infiniti have renewed it every month. Again, there's no guarantee but the likelihood is it will be around for a while yet.
  • bing330ibing330i Member Posts: 89
    For those who live in the cold country...

TIA.
    Umm no. Get the AWD version with the touring package and not the 20" wheels If you will use it as a snow vehicle.
  • badaxebadaxe Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody discovered the outer limits of a FX35 ? I was wondering if the top speed is goverend ?
  • dabobtdabobt Member Posts: 28
    I generally like the feel of AWD cars. We are considering an FX35.

There's no way we would take this car to snow or other snotty conditions.

Should I consider the AWD, for general feel or also better safety in rainy conditions? Or just save the money? Probably the AWD suffers a bit on the mileage too (one should think).

Any feedback appreciated, thx. Bob.
    There is one 1 mpg difference between the RWD and AWD versions. With the standard VDC (stability system), traction control and ABS, the RWD is pretty sure footed in slippery condidtions.
    The awd will also be about .5 seconds slower than a rwd to 60.
  • bing330ibing330i Member Posts: 89
    I am a bit biased on AWD (mostly probably because I am not knowledgeable on this). In the AWD, I only trust those traditional players, like Audi who has quattro for a long time, same with Subaru, Jeep. For Mercedes who has the 4matic, their reliability is not as good. Recent years all luxury brand manufacturers have come up with AWD which IMHO is too much marketing driven. Just 2 cents.
  • quattroquattro Member Posts: 110
    I'm planning to purchase a FX35 and I'm debating whether to get a 04' or a 05'. I'm not in a hurry to buy so time is on my side and there seems to be quite a few 04' FX35 available.
    Does anyone know if Infiniti will offer any additional incentive on top of the low apr finance rate currently offered?
    Some of the postings mention getting 03' FX thousands off MSRP in early 04'? How can the dealers do that unless Infiniti offer additional cash back to the dealer?
    Also any chance I will be able to get a 05' at around invoice when it comes out in October?

Thanks all for the info provided. (Especially Wibbly, your info is particularly useful)
    Last month there was $500 dealer cash on the FX35 but I don't know if it is still current.
    Last year Infiniti got caught with a few too many 03s so come January there was some great deals on the remaining 2003 cars. I was getting quotes of $5000 off MSRP the FX35 and $8000 off the FX45. When the 2004s came out last year it was possible to get one for $700 over invoice. At invoice on release on the '05 is probably a tall order but give it till January and it will be there or therebouts.
    Sometimes dealers will just sell cars at a loss because it's better than having them sat on the lot, especially after the model year is not current. Also, sometimes the manufacturer will tie sales of older, or less popular inventory to the supplier of more popular models. One example was last year when Infiniti dealers that sold more I35s and 03 G35s got extra 2004 G35 Coupes.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks a lot Wibble. Sorry I mistyped your name in my msg.
    Will update you on how my purchase goes.

Need one more advice. If I'm planning to keep the FX for 3 years is it better to buy or to lease? I've never leased a car before and I have no idea how well the FX will retain it's value.
  • merlinmerlin Member Posts: 10
    My FX35 is 5 months old and the only complaint I have is with the driver's seat controls: they're slightly inconvenient to use (no big deal) and the hard plastic surrounding the controls presses on my right hip as I drive (a big deal). I didn't notice this in the 4 test drives I took before purchasing. Any ideas, solutions, comments? Otherwise, the FX is the best vehicle I've ever driven, but this will be enough to make me move on to another car.
    I did read elsewhere about someone having a very similar problem. They had extra padding added to the center of the seat and that fixed the problem completely at a cost of around $200. Have you spoken to your dealer yet? Maybe they could check out the seat just in case there is a problem with it. You may be able to get them to pay for all, or part of, the extra padding.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    That was me who had the fix, and it worked pretty well. Not super-comfortable, but good enough that I didn't feel like I had to ditch the car. I've taken plenty of long trips in it, and don't have the pain I did before (or any, really).

Of course, now I've had some sort of engine trouble that has taken my car out of commission for two weeks as of today, and they are still baffled as to the cause.
    Cool. What's the symptoms of the engine problem?
    "Need one more advice. If I'm planning to keep the FX for 3 years is it better to buy or to lease? I've never leased a car before and I have no idea how well the FX will retain it's value."

Sorry. I missed this post. The 3 year residual on a 2004 FX35 is 55% at the moment. The money factor is 0.00179 which is equivalent to an interest rate of 4.9%. Looking at a 2004 FX35 AWD with touring, a 3 year 12,000 perannum lease with the acquisition fee, security deposit and first month payment paid up front (around $1500) would be around $495 + tax.
    Financing the same vehicle over 60 months with the same down payment would be roughly $685 a month. Both figures assume $100 over invoice for the car.
    Something to bear in mind with Infiniti is that you can qualify for their best lease rates with a credit score above 620. Their best (2.9%) finance rate requires 720+.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks very much Wibble. You are the ultimate source for FX info! Will let you know how things go.
    I don't get it: How does padding in the middle of the driver's seat solve the pressure-in-the right-thigh problem caused by the seat controls being located too far inward and pressing on the right hip? I'm open to any solution you folks can offer.
    Thanks very much Wibble. You are the ultimate source for FX info! Will let you know how things go.
  • philip48philip48 Member Posts: 1
    hi
    i have the same problem. i want to buy the car but i found after a 15 minute test drive that i had a pain in my leg from the driver seat control. is there a fix? or should i look for another car? Im 6'3" and 250 lbs. For me this ruins the car.
    Be sure you don't get seduced by the FX's strong points and figure the pain in the right hip is just a trade-off: it isn't a trade-off, it's a major discomfort and a significant design flaw. The seats are very well designed, with this one major glitch.I've tried a small pillow and a rolled-up towel, but who wants to mess around like that. Infiniti should address this issue openly and correct it. It's a major flaw in an otherwise superb vehicle. I've already steered two prospective buyers away from the FX for this reason.
  • duffer7duffer7 Member Posts: 17
    I think Infiniti should recall the driver's seat.
    I am 6 foot tall, weigh 190 pounds, and experience a lot of pain down my right leg after 30 minutes in the seat.
    My Doc says my sciatic nerve is being pinched.
    To drive, I must sit way over on the left side of the seat and lean to the right to address the steering wheel. If I could afford to switch cars, I would.