Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Navigation.

I got the tech pkg. The rear camera is a life saver and I enjoy the keyless ignition. I had the car for months before I discovered you could actually insert a key in the flip panel on the start knob.

As for Nav I like the infinity system but agree it lacks some routine features. The major two items I would like to see is the street number of the road I am currently on and a display of the name of the next cross road. Both of these display on my Street Pilot III although I do like the birdseye view in the infinity. SPIII does not have that view.

Question on Nav. Are updates available? I have an early 2004 model and have discoved some roads in my area are not displayed on the Infinity Nav.

Roll
    Just wondering how the three choices are holding up.

I went with the copper thinking it was different, it had a nice combination of copper and black, and also seemed to be a little more heavier than the others. It does have a raised surface a lot like a basketballs surface but softer.

I had heard the Willow wears faster and the black is somewhere in between but these were just comments made to me or that I read and not supported by any real experience I gathered at the time.

So after 30 K miles the copper is holding up well but where I get in and out I think it's just a little softer than areas that are rarely touched. No color fade that I can tell. Also occasionally the seat controls on the right side of the seat surface bother me. Not all the time, but sometimes. I usually have to slide around to get comfortable. The location is unique but I'd rather they had put the controls on the door frankly.

Roll
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    Nav system updates for the FX are available through Zenrin (http://www.zenrin.com). They are not cheap so you have to figure what knowing where every new street is worth to you.
    I checked the site suggested and did find the updates. They offer 6.3 now and will have 6.4 out in November. Cost is $185. That's typical for updated GPS maps, at least from my Mapsource experience. It would be nice if they discounted an update at they got closer to the release date of the next version, but they don't.

The rep thinks I may already have 6.3 in my 2004 FX, (took delivery in Dec of 2003). I'll need to eject the disk to check it he claims. If they update every year it seems I would have 6.2 but we'll see.

Roll
  • suvindcsuvindc Member Posts: 28
    Thanks all. I've got two NoVa dealers against one another. One is trying to get the Tech/Touring black on black shipped but can't give me a number until he knows how much it's going to cost them to get it. The other is nervous I will go with them so he is offering me a 36-month lease for $450, $2600 down, Tech/Touring included, black/willow.

Should I bite?
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Well, let me ask you this, will you buy the car after the three year lease is over? If so, the I think you should wait and get the black on black. Now, is three year lease is a long time for you or you think the three year period will go by fast. If you think it will go buy fast then just get the black on willow. I guess what I am trying to convey is buy the car that you like, but if you have to settle for second best then make sure the time of ownership is short . I hope that help.
    I have not kept up with going prices and lease rates but $450 a month for three years sounds good to me.

Roll
  • flipper6flipper6 Member Posts: 30
    "Putting premium 91 octane in your FX will NOT give you more horsepower, nor torque, nor gas mileage."

"So the combustion was actually occurring on the piston downstroke. The ECU smartly prevented the knocking. And it was producing less power"

I am confused. It seems in one sentence you are saying increased octane will not increase power and later you explain why lower octane will decrease power. Even though the lower power is occurring from the retarding of the spark, the lesser power was indirectly related to the octane. Help me out here.
  • mick3mick3 Member Posts: 7
    Months ago, I saw these online for order. Does anyone know where you can get these online now?
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    You can find these at grubbsperformance.com. They have a pretty good selection of OEM and aftermarket parts for Infiniti and Nissan.
  • kelliskellis Member Posts: 3
    Just bought FX35 AWD from Rosenthal VA.

Tech Package
    Touring
    Splash Guard
    Cargo Protector
    Crossbars

+299 Processing fee
    Tax and title
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please report it in the Infiniti FX45 / FX35: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion - and you can check out other recent deals in there too. Thanks (and congrats on the new FX35!).

Steve, Host
  • ckegleyckegley Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to this group I recently installed the STB on my fx35 sport (15,000mi). It was easy to install and did make a bigger difference than I was expecting. As the others have noted, it does ride tighter but smoother. Not harsher by and measure. It rides much smoother over bumps and small pot holes. The brail bumps on the freeway are quieter and the sunroof doesn’t "squeak" as much when closed. The real fun is when you hit your favorite curvy road with no traffic. Definitely worth the $200. Regards
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    I recently put my 20's back on and noticed the ride is slightly rougher than with the 18s, but better than before the STB. I have no regrets on this mod. It has been well worth it and was so simple to install.
  • krodrenkrodren Member Posts: 31
    Is installation really as simple as unscrewing the shock tower bolts, dropping the 0-rings on, attaching the bar (any adjustments, complications?), and reattaching the bolts?
    Thank you for sharing with us.
    In a weak moment I decided I couldn't live without the drilled pedals and got a set from Grubbs.

Good fit. Brake pad was a little difficult to install but I got it on. Looks like OEM installed equipment.

Anyone looking for a set of OEM black rubber pedals covers? I could make you a good deal. :blush:

Roll
    Pretty much that simple. It took me less than 20 minutes start to finish. There are instruction with pictures included with the STB.
  • sonicboomsonicboom Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,

I am proud new owner of the FX35. I traded in my 01 Pathfinder for this vehicle. The FX35 is amazing, but I am wondering if anyone used the Auto Re-lock that is in the personal setting mode. The manual is not very clear on how this operates. Does the door auto locks on it's own? I stood there waiting for this to happen, but it never did. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    my fx is one year old.

just drove it from conn to fla via hi point nc. total 1500 miles ave, 19.7 mpg ,but at hi speeds for the usa 8o plus.

yesterday took it from miami to naples fl. 120 miles ---got 26,5 mpg hald way with he cruise set at 55.

as soon as i went to 70 it dropped to 21 overall.

on return trip 17.6 but ,but some people were doing 90 to 95 most of the trip .
    really irresponsible ...yeah.i ,of course would not try to stay with them.

anyhow, so far with 13,000 miles only ,i usually do over 70,000 miles per year but do have other cars , i find the fx35 to be lots of fun and very nice around town specially in short 2 hr, trips ..

but on longer trips the fx is tiring......... .and not very comfortable. prefer the mb or saab 9.5 over this one.

the saab at 80 mph and higher sustain ,gives 29 to 32 mpg . and comfortable riding.the mb at 20 mpg.

overall ,i guess i am happy with the fx for around town,thus the low mileage. and will not get the m series as is more of the fx. prefer the a8 short wheelbase.
  • jjstc4jjstc4 Member Posts: 1
    About a year to the day since the last post, so I hope someone is out there!! I wondering if anyone has put a pop-charger on the FX35. Since the engine is the same as the G35, the kit available for the G will also work on the FX...Before I do it, I'm wondering if anyone has done this yet and could provide feedback...thanks
  • ckegleyckegley Member Posts: 2
    Yes, Very simple. Took me about 15-20 min. and I have never attempted anything like this before. FYI, I had the best trip ever through the Sierra foothills today.
  • asacharasachar Member Posts: 14
    I am planning on buying the fx35 at the end of the month (actually leasing). I live in Virginia and was wondering what the insurance premiums are running on the vehicle?? I have had 2 speeding tickets in 3 years. And no suspensions or accidents. Thanks!!
  • ltmarksltmarks Member Posts: 28
    my insurance is about $800 per year with USAA (a military insurer). I'm in a similar situation as you with lease/tickets and FX35.
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    $1,100 per year, one ticket but live in downtown Chicago so... Pricey here. Jon B.
    I have one accident and my insurance for is fx35 is around $1000 with 21st century.
  • ccordascoccordasco Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just went for an oil change at the Infiniti dealer (and got to ride around for the day in a G35...fun!). I got a phone call for the service dept saying my rear breaks were in need of replacement. I have 29K miles on the car and the front brakes are fine. I'm no mechanic but this seems like either a design flaw or faulty brakes. I've never heard of rear brakes going before the front, especially with only 29K miles. Does anybody have an opinion on this? I'd like to make a case to have this covered under warranty.

Thanks-
    Chris
    So, my wife was unhappy when I came home with the FX35. Why? Because she wanted the Volvo SUV or Cross Country station wagon. Boring!

Guess what? She loves the FX35 and I never get to drive it... reminds me of that TV commercial for some other car where the couple keeps getting up earlier and earlier to beat the other spouse from taking the car...

I need a second car like a hole in my head (live in the city, walk to work, etc...), but i love cars. So, am thinking Mustang GT? Don't want to spend a bundle for a second car which is basically a toy so want to be under $30K. But need power. Test drove the Infiniti G35 coupe but too small and low (have a herniated disk so cannot sit low). Any other ideas other than the Mustang GT from you HP nuts out there? Jon B.
    i am a car nut and own many. my favorite ,1955 550 spyder .

because you live in new york the suggestion i am making is not practical ,but maybe,why not.

here it goes ..............beck spyder

search the web for beck 550 spyder.

you want fun ,get a motorcycle.
    but you need some degree of safety,try this one.

i own a 50 / 50 beck /original , and vette pace car ,and other italian exotics and motorcycles.

it goes like this

1200 pounds total
    horse power --120 to 440 ,but stay around 150 to 175. vw engine by cb performance
    car can handle all this hp without a modification. this is how good the chassis is.
    the car is an exact replica of the original .
    this is the james dean car.

soft top,
    no a/c
    no heat
    this is the first race car built by porsche.

but,before you buy ,make sure that you have a vw --air cooled mechanic near you.......

you will never go back to any other sports car after this.

remember,it is a 1955 car ,
    rides like it
    and it is comfortable ,believe it or not.

for winter ,get a gerbing motorcycle electric suit.

when it rains ,it comes with a soft top,but carry towels .

registration of the car in new york, --check this out first.

and the lotus elise ,but $ 45.

the beck --around $ 26 or so depending on engine. and other.

have fun
    OK, Mr. Car Nut, that is one cool car, the Beck Spyder (had never heard of it before)! Made for some interesting reading.

But, may be a bit harsh for the lousy Chicago roads! Now, if I lived in California that would be an easy choice. Thanks for the education on this car, very cool. Jon.
  • michael10michael10 Member Posts: 29
    Currently looking at the FX35 w/ touring, and tech packages. The car will be used mostly by my wife who is in sales and is on the road a lot. My question is how is the Navigation system? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • franklin3franklin3 Member Posts: 3
    Considering to purchase FX35 (2005). Any recommendations?
    Try the Infiniti FX45 / FX35: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for recent deals by other members.

Steve, Host
  • jpa300jpa300 Member Posts: 8
    Check to see what version of DVD nav you have. New updates are available at http://www.zenrin.com/index.html
    i have used the system a few times and find it dead on.
    in conn. north carolina and florida,it has taken me right to the front door of my destination ,from 450 miles away .
    it works great.

at times i get a ---disc error --display...................shut car down and restart and it will come back.

aside from this ,all has been ok
    I was about to purchase a new FX35, but was told my credit is good, but not enough credit to lease the vehicle. I ended up financing a 2003 FX45 with 28,000 miles on it. Fully loaded, premium, touring, tech and dvd system. I am told the last driver is a real good client of theirs. Total is 34,000 (was $40,000). I am putting 10,000 down (as they will only finance me $25,000 becaues of the credit issue). 7% interest comes to about $472/72 months. I love this car, and am so excited. I wanted a new one, but if this is all i can settle on..I don't mind. Any feedback??
    I don't think this is a good deal. You are going to be paying big bucks for a used car until 2011. I'd put $10k down on a newer 35 and shorten my payment period.
    I wish I could do that, but the amount to finance a new one for me is $700+ per month!! That is way too high!! I only drive it about 65 miles a week (if that). This credit thing is really stupid!! My best option right now is a used one. They won't even lease one to me. I was initially interested in an fx35 with tech and touring, but with the interest rate on a new vehicle, and the price I would pay is $41,749. Thanks for the advice!!
  • ltmarksltmarks Member Posts: 28
    Michael,
    The Nav system is by far he worst that i've used. Light years behind honda/acura and a lot behind Lexus.
    My major gripe is that you cannot ask it to find the nearest ___ (you name the location). For example, if I want to find a walmart, i type in walmart and it will list walmarts 200 miles away right next to one 3 miles away- without regard to which one is closest. This is excruciatingly frustrating. By definition a GPS system should know what city you're in- and what locations are closest to you- why this system doesn't is a mystery.
    There are many other gripes- no touchscreen, can't use it while driving (although there is a simple modification for this), and generally clumsy controls.
    All this aside, it does work if you know the address of the location you want to go to- just not for finding places when you don't know where they are.

Here's the catch- the Nav (tech) package comes with the backup camera and IR remote door locks. Those two features are simply amazing and are almost worth getting the crappy $4000 Nav system just for those. The camera is a lifesaver and starting the ignition without a key is very convenient.

If you have the money, I'd get it- just be warned that the Nav system isn't the best.
  • fxfxrfxfxr Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen the Sheer Platinum paint job? I can get a very good deal on one and have no true pictures to look at. Does it look like a moving mirror? Is it obnoxious or slick? Thanks.
  • kd270kd270 Member Posts: 23
    iam looking to lease the FX35 for 3 or 2 years now I would want to know which would be better move for me a 3 or 2 year i know that with the 2 year the car depreciates much more, but then again i dont want to be stuck with a 3 year for some reason.. another question is my dealer in ny is willing to go between $450 to $500 on the 3 year with the sports and the touring package, and 499 on the 2 year and that is with 12K per year. now what numbers should I look for meaning.. I think iam getting a good deal but what could be the hidden charges or the "hidden" things that I should look for? plus if I want to buy the car when the lease is over what should I do? this dealer wants me to pay first months payment plus the security dep and the dmv fees and the bank fee which should equal to about $2000. Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks
  • cuecue Member Posts: 13
    any news on whats new for the 2006 model? redisign in the works yet?
    There's nothing under the Future Vehicles tab except the Skyline.

Anyone?

Steve, Host
  • djf500djf500 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: Does anyone know if the Sirius radio kit sold on grubbsperformance.com is the same as the kit sold by Infiniti parts? It's considerably cheaper & I have friend who can install it (since my FX doesn't have Sirius from the factory - the dealer wants to charge me $750 - and I can get the parts online & installed for $460)

Anyone who knows about this stuff or has uses Grubbs before - let me know your thoughts! Thanks!
  • fx_rocfx_roc Member Posts: 2
    just want to topic talking about FX35's AWD mode and it's affect on the ABS..any comments are welcome.. would be nice to find out about it..
    I have a 2004 FX35 AWD with, among other things, the NAV System. I don't use it like a yellow pages, only to take me to a specific address and, until last weekend, it worked just fine.

This past weekend, however, the NAV system was totally messed up. The NAV did not match up with the location of my car, consequently, its instructions were all wrong. I noticed that at times the satellite icon, instead of being bright green, was a pasty yellow and sometimes gray. This happened for hours such that in order to get where I was going I had to (gulp) pull out the old fashioned road map. And since I am lousy at following maps as I am driving, that was very annoying.

Is it my NAV or was the satellite out of orbit this weekend? Do I need to re-set the NAV? How do you do that?

Thanks, Jon B.
  • lovemyfx35lovemyfx35 Member Posts: 1
    My FX35 got flat tire from company parking lot :cry: . We need to replace the flat tire. But costco tire service people meatured the tires are already 10% left. They have to replace all 4 tires :surprise: . I am not sure because the miledge is one 27,745 on my SUV. They told me that they are high performance tire and worn faster. Is this true?

Thanks,
    You seem to be about average as far as wear goes. I have seen a few people get into the 30's with their OEM tires, but not sure how. I will need new tires by thw itme I hit you mielage or soon after.

I picked up a set of OEM Goodyears with 500 miles on them and have them sitting in my garage ready to be mounted. Someone bought a new FX and wanted 22 inch tires and wheels, so he unloaded them for a great price.
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    I have an FX 45 with the 20" wheels and got about 27,000 miles on the original tires -the wear bars were clearly telling me it was time. A friend at a tire store told me any tire for that size wheel will be speed and performance oriented so forget about getting over 30,000 miles.

I bought Toyo Proxes ST becasue they had the msot aggressive looking tread of the only 4 choices for that size wheel -hoping it helps in the snow. Alos, service ammager at Infinit told me Pirelli ahd announced a very aggressive (almost a true snow tire) pattern due out and then pulled it.