Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• mickey77mickey77 Member Posts: 10
    Electronic key lost in car. Help! I parked the car in a parking lot and the attendant lost the key, however, the doors open and the car starts and drives. The key must be lost inside the car. I have spent over an hour looking all over the interior under and over the seats and every other crevice. Unfortuneatly anyone can open and drive off with the car. Any suggestions -- I am at my wits end!
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I don't have much insight here, but I do know that I have dropped objects down the crack between the driver's seat and the console. They are virtually impossible to see or retrieve without moving the seat as far as you can forward and backwards and then look near the seat mounting frame. Also, there is a ledge that protrudes from the edge of the seat bottom by the console that can keep objects from falling all the way through. The passenger seat has the same "Bermuda Triangle" so check both seats.
  • fxatedfxated Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, long time reader - first time poster. As you are all aware, the nav system on m '04 FX45 has the goofy "legal disclaimer" that I am forced to accept every time I start up. Is there any way around this? Getting kind of tired of hitting that darn button.

Also, put new tires on for winter driving .... Bridgeston Dueler HP's - absolutely AWESOME.

Thanks, Jeff
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    after 1 year and 14,000 miles my gps is down .

getting ---dvd rom incorrect-----

and also ------disc error-----

anyone with these. gps not working at all.

started doing this about 4 months ago but only every now and then. now ,all the time.
  • steven123steven123 Member Posts: 5
    hi, I am a new proud owner of a fx35,
    I think I have a problem with the trunk.
    When I press the buttom to open the trunk I hear a sort of heavy *thunk sound, in the hindges.
    I don't seem to remeber this when I got it couple days ago,
    is this normal? or is it just my fx : (
    thank you
    -steven
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    Did you put those on the original 20" rims? Their website doesn't show anything for the 265mm rims? I just bought Toyo Porxes ST's to hopefully help in the winter - - the OEM tires were awful in the snow.
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    Congratulations, awesome car, i love it more and more every time i drive and have gotten used to the harsher ride of the 20s after all. Just drove to Indianapolis and back to Chicago and it was a thrill to drive.

I went and opened my hatch and i do hear a thunk when i press to open it, but more of a "release" thunk. It does not sound "wrong." don't know if it is the same sound you are hearing. I have, however, developed a new problem. when I CLOSE the trunk, and the automatic "closing mechanism" takes over, i now hear a loud crinkling sound like something is loose. in fact, i now hear crinkling from the back even when I drive. Most annoying and will be bringing to the dealer to check it out...

Jon B.
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    You can go to the dealer and have your other key fob reproframmed along with the valet key which has an embedded chip. This will make the "lost" key fob inoperative but it only leaves you with one even the car came w/2 + the valet key.

Only problem is the dealer charges $75-100 to reprogram. PLUS if you want to replace the lost key fob it is well over $100 so tif you want to end up with 2 key fobs and 1 working valet key it will probably run over $200.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Exact symptoms of failing main DVD unit.

Mine failed at 11,00 miles and the repair parts alone was ~$2,000.

Fortunately, covered by warranty.
  • fxatedfxated Member Posts: 2
    Yes I did. Couldn't find an 18" rim I liked - and really didn't want to spend the extra $$. These tires are a little taller and wider 275/45 (not what you would traditionally want in a snow tire) but the tread pattern and O/A construction is awesome. They had another smaller/ thinner size 275/55 as well that I did not opt for. Go on the Bridgestone website and look it up. Here is what they say:

Bridgestone Dueler H/P with UNI-T AQ
     Category: Light/Medium Truck
       •  The Dueler H/P delivers sports car-like handling that allows you to unleash the performance potential of your light truck or SUV. With UNI-T technology applied to the two 20" sizes, the Dueler H/P offers you exceptional handling in wet or dry driving conditions. UNI-T AQ technology in all other sizes lets you count on wet performance excellence even as the tires wears. Wet braking, wet handling, and noise minimization are all exceptional features of our Dueler H/P, engineered to please drivers with an active lifestyle.

Totally agree with you on the OEM Goodyears .... horrible in the snow and such a soft compound they wore down with in 20K.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    will start documenting dvd nav with dealer.

i am away from the car now but the last 4 trips i made the nav worked fine.

this ,after i posted above.

will return to the fx in about 5 weeks and will see.

than k you again
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Looking at leasing the Fx-35 model. Drove both standard 18" tire model and the 20" w/sport package. The 20" seemed to be a bit stiffer over the bumps and cornered better. Any experience with winter on the 20"'s and tread longevity?
  • melchizedekmelchizedek Member Posts: 1
    hahaha!!! I just replaced my rear brakes (2004 FX35) Sunday at 7800 miles, that's right 7800 miles. I think that a little strange too!!! Keep me posted.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Wow!!! That is a little low and already you have to replace the brake pads. I sure hope that is under warrantee. One of my friends just had the brake pads replaced on his Acura TSX at 34k miles and that seems fishy to me already. Anyway, so the dealer found out that it was his two rear shocks that went bad so they replaced his shocks for free and he got a discount on his break job. You should get some kind deal if not free from the dealer. Please keep me posted.
  • ayenewayenew Member Posts: 11
    Sorry if this item was discussed before but I have an FX35 and I was looking for suggestions on how to incorporate an MP3 player into my stereo - today my MP3 are on a CD. Did anyone do this before? Is the solution an IPOD or something similar? If so, how did you connect it to the car? Need an adapter? Thanks in advance.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Unfortunately NO

I have a Q45 and have cursed that for 3 years.

As a matter of fact I decided to by an 06 Tribeca just to get away from that idiotic thing.
  • kd270kd270 Member Posts: 23
    3 simple words I LOVE IT. this is one of the best cars I have ever had Its handeling, Power and everything else is unreal... I have just had it for a week and I already am thinking about buying a radar detector.. Its a THRILL everytime I press on the gas pedal.... Iam paying high for insurance but Ok for my area,... I BARGAINED so hard to get a good price but let me tell u the 5 or 10 bucks a month difference will Not make a diffrence to U after U Drive this CAr.....If u are in your 20's or even 30's this is the ultimate car to get... Good luck to all u guys... btw any good ideas on which radar detec to get? thanks
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Did you trade your FX 35? What version is this Mini, is it the S type or Type S?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Sinced you asked, I thought you might be interested in Radar/Lidar Detectors which I just reopened.

tidester, host
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    The 20s will definitely ride stiffer, but I think are worth it in terms of looks and performance.

Most poeple seem to get 25-30k out of the OEM Goodyears. A few have gone above that, but they are the true exceptions.

The Goodyears suck in snow. Buy a set of second set of wheels and snow tires if you have to deal with it much. I bought a set of 18 inch Nissan Murano wheels and will be mounting snow tires this year after using the OEM tires on them last winter.
  • mjsoupmjsoup Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

How did things end up w/ your bluetooth install on the FX-35? I'm considering the same install for an FX-45. The Infiniti dealer I was considering using has no experience with the install on the FX series cars. Apparently they've been installed successfully on the Infiniti M-Series but just never tried on the FX. I'm looking at alternative shops also.
  • havnfunhavnfun Member Posts: 1
    We live in Charlotte NC, not much snow. We have a 2003 FX35 AWD with the 20" tires, the years we did get a good amount of snow (at least 4-8"), it performed EXCELLENT. Great control & handling. I'm out here looking for the replacement tires, as a few others are also. They are not available anywhere in NC.
  • pepitopepito Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys,

Getting a '05 FX35 and Infiniti recommends premium gasoline. Is anyone out there using regular, and if so, have you had any problems with your vechicle?

Thanks!
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    No problems here. I run 87 octane. The only change is a drop in horsepower, but better mileage. The car runs fine!
  • beekeebokbeekeebok Member Posts: 1
    I am hoping to get some feedback on the regular 18" tires for the FX35 this past winter in NY (with good amounts of snow). Was everyone happy? Any special tire brand better than others? Also, anyonw hear about 2006 date due out (new fx35) or specific changes??
  • longhorn4longhorn4 Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I are expecting our first child in December and have decided to upgrade her car (01 Pathfinder). I love the FX 35, but am concerned on two fronts: (1) it looks like it might be difficult to get a car seat into the back; and (2) the rear cargo area looks very small. I am also looking at the Lexus RX 330, which is a whole different car, I know, but space seems to be less an issue. The salesperson allowed us to take an FX for the weekend, so I'm going to do some checking on my own.

Nevertheless, I was wondering if there are any parents out there with younger kids (i.e., still in a car seat) who have thoughts on the issues above. I'd really appreciate any comments. Thanks.
  • pepitopepito Member Posts: 8
    Hey longhorn,

I just picked up my new FX35 this past Saturday and i had 3 car seats in the back row with no problem. My 2 year old sat on a large car seat, my 4 year old sat on a less bulky car seat and my 5 1/2 year old sat on her booster seat. Yes, it was a bit tight, but very secured and no problems getting in or out.

BTW, this is not our primary family car, they will most often be in my wife's Honda Odyssey, but it's good to know that I can take my kids on a Sunday drive in "daddy's car".

Hope this helps.

@.
  • ttangbeettangbee Member Posts: 11
    longhorn4, I have a 6.5 year old son and I'm using one of the biggest car seats (Britax Husky) that is not a booster. We had no problem installing it and leg room is aplenty for my son. I've had QX4 before the FX and FX has better rear seat room. I test drove RX330, Volvo XC T6, BMW X5 3.0, Acura MDX, and Mercedes ML320 in addition to FX35 but 2005 FX35 was tops for us in performance, appearance, comfort and reliability. My wife and I really like our car and we're 99% satisfied. Unfortunately, the 1% is the rear cargo space. The surface area itself is not that bad but we did note that the height can be a problem because of the curvy shape of the cargo door. If you don't intend to move large furniture, this won't be a problem.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Brakes are the weak spot on the FX 35 in my opinion. I have 33,000 miles on my car now (2004 tech/sport), and have had break work done several times.

The problem is generally a vibrating brake pedal especially at speed. I think the brakes are undersized for the car and so the front rotors heat up and warp. The first time they turned the rotors; next they replaced the rotors; then turned the new rotors and this last time, put new rotors on again and also replaced the brake pads.
    All that over a period of 33 K miles. All under warrenty.

I don't drive hard though I don't baby the car either. I do a lot of stop and go on the expressway in town. To burn up brakes that fast, roughly every 8300 miles, I have to believe the car needs larger calipers, and heavier rotors. By the way, I still have the original rear pads and rotors. Maybe the bias switch is defective?

Roll
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Tires - OEM 20" will last 30k at the most a good replacemnt set will run from 900-1300 depending on tire. The OEM also suck on snow so if you live above the mason dixie line I would suggest you get 18's or another set of snow tires.

FX and Kids - I have two kids ages 9 and 3 and they love the car (especially if you get the RES). have no problem getting the car seat in and out (better than my honda pilot).

Brakes - I have 43k on my FX and still on OEM brakes all around seems like infiniti may have changes pads/rotors after 2003 which may lead to early wear like they had on the G. Complain loudly to infiniti and maybe you will get the to cover brakes in the fx like they do on the G to 36k.

Trunk problems- search back to the early days of the thread and see if you guys aren't experiencing warping spoilers. This was a problem in early FX's

Ipod/mp3 playback/Agree screen - search the web for hacks to the prewiring for the RES system it used to be in all fxes in the early years 03/04 People had tapped into these and created an input that could be recognized by the head unit. I can't mention other forums here by name but search for nissan and fx forums and you should find what you are looking for. Also there is a hack for the agree screen and also to enable nav functions while moving.

Possible changes for '06 these are my guesess
    -bluetooth
    -new nav system with Voice controls
    -Ipod input
    -upgraded bose system
    -interior/exterior refresh (rosewood trim maybe)

Looking at the new M sedan infiniti has all of these there makes since they will trickle down to the FX if not this year next.
  • longhorn4longhorn4 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to all who replied or commented. It is very helpful.
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    The FX has surprising knee room for rear seat passengers due to the cut out shape of the front seat backs. However, be very careful in choosing your first car seat. Up until your child is a year old, you will need to use a rear-facing seat. Since the baby's head is up near the top of the front seat, the front seat will have to be way forward to clear the seat. Pick a seat that sits well back and is as small as possible. Also, pay attention to the stroller if you are getting an integrated system. Most of the strollers that accept an infant seat are pretty large, and will wipe out the rear storage area. We ended up with a Peg Perego seat - it was livable, but my wife (at 5' 4") still breathed a sigh of relief when we were able to turn the seat around. The stroller folds up pretty compactly, and tucks up nicely against the rear seat back. Now our baby and our 5 yr old are both in big Britax seats that fit very well.
    If you search this forum, you'll find some other discussions on the topic - I had lots of trouble getting a rear facing seat to lock in securely.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is hoping to talk with someone who purchased a European, Japanese or Korean crossover vehicle since January 2005. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before July 2, 2005 with your daytime contact info, the make and model of your crossover and a few words describing why you chose it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mikenjmikenj Member Posts: 25
    I was wondering if anyone has or knows if it's possible to get 18" chrome or polished wheels when buying FX35?
  • gfostergfoster Member Posts: 10
    I have an '04 AWD 35 with 13k miles (approximately 15 months of driving in NJ). I'm not hearing anything in the dashboard but I do hear a loud click/rattle sound as the car shifts in and out of lower gears, say up to 35 mph. This happens when I accelerate and decelerate. From what I can tell, it sounds as if it is coming from the rear passenger side of the car but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • snipe1snipe1 Member Posts: 14
    Beekeebok…….

This snow issue is a major factor for me too. From what I gather, the OEM Goodyears, especially in the 20" size are rather poor in snow. (Although a few posters say differently.)

I've test driven a number of vehicles to replace my '99 Jeep GC.
    FX 35 & 45, Merc. ML 350, Jeep GC Hemi, Volvo XC 90 V-8, Caddy SRX V-8, Audi allroad V-6, Audi A6 4.2.
    I feel the FX 45 would deliver the best combo of performance, quality/reliability, and dealer service. Eye catching too of course! I realize the FX is more sport than utility and I'd have already bought it but, I DO NOT wish to change over to winter tires. (It was in the snow here in NY this past winter that I wiped out my Jeep.)

I'd be curious to know if it's possible to get the dealer to swap the 20's on the 45 for 18's.
    Also what about replacing the Goodyear RS-A's with perhaps Yokohama Geolander's or some other tire with a more aggressive tread? Perhaps even going up to 285 all-terrains. (If the wheel wells will accommodate them.)
  • mrlovermrlover Member Posts: 7
    Have you FX35 owners notice the loud noise when AC is on? mine is only 5000km, but the noise is really giving me a headache.

Thanks
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    Quite the contrary, mrlover. The AC in my 04 FX35 is the quietest I have ever had. It also creates the least draft in the passenger compartment. There must be something wrong with your unit.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Nope no noise at all; and here in Houston the A/C runs constantly. I recommend you get it checked.
  • johnsonlau703johnsonlau703 Member Posts: 12
    Hey guys, I have a question that I really hope can be answered (even an estimate) because I am seriously considering trading in my 2004 FX45 with every option besides the DVD entertainment for a fully loaded manual 2005 G35 coupe. I want to ask what you guys think I will lose if I do the trade in right now. Regardless of whether I do the trade in, I will be selling the car in May 2007. I have been looking at kbb.com and here to look for resale values and I suspect that by 2007, my FX45 will be worth around 35k and the G35 will be around 29k (by looking at the resale of 2004 G35 and 2003 FX45). Does this look accurate to you guys? If these seems right, I will be thinking that I will be losing an extra 6k if I change the FX for the G35. Thanks in advance.
  • gvlnggvlng Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone had experience with Infiniti of Tucson? Since they are the only Infiniti dealer here I wonder how they treat you service wise. Any help is appreciated.
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I'm thinking of trading in a Pathfinder on an FX. I know there is less space in the FX but I wanted to know how useable the space is as far as for dogs(2 labs) and trips to homdepot. thanks
    I wanted to know how useable the space is ... trips to homdepot. thanks

How much and how big? You can forget about a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. I use the FX as a commuter car, not a hauler. It will hold more than a sedan, but as an SUV its very limited.
  • ade_txade_tx Member Posts: 1
    I am about to lease an FX35 Touring Package, so no Nav System or back up camera. I have heard that since the back window is a bit small, you need to be very careful without the back-up camera. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks so much for your advice.
    In my opinion the FX has the worst blind spots of any vehicle I've owned. Its not backing up to park that is an issue in my opinion (you'll get used to that) its lane changing on the streets. With the FX make sure you turn and look when lane changing.
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    how is it for carrying stuff like 4-5 big bags of mulch & plants/shrubs for weekend gardening projects? Also would one of those carpet steam cleaners you'd rent from the grocery store fit(not in the same trip)?
    When you put the back seats down, the FX has a relatively large cargo bay. I slid in a huge framed mirror the other day to my amazement. With the seats up, the cargo bay is much smaller. In fact, my wife's Volvo Crosscountry cargo bay is much bigger. Which, by the way, is also very nice and Volvo dealers are taking $8,000 off MSRP right now which is why we just bought one.

Also, because of the sloping roof line, the cargo bay is not very tall so if you have large, tall objects it is hard to slip them in.

For my needs, the FX is plenty big. I can slip four golf bags in the cargo area with no problem...

Jon B.
  • holdenout4lesholdenout4les Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking at leasing one of the above very soon. With a new, aggressive lease program on the X5, my choice got a little more interesting. Any input on the advantages of the FX over the X5 (or vice versa)? (I have my own opinion, but I've only test-driven these vehicles.)

Thanks in advance.
    my understanding is the X5 is about to be totally redesigned which may explain the lease program. Don't know if that would bug you or not.

both cars are very similar. no off roading, firm suspension, good power (although the FX has more) and not much hauling capabilities. if the bimmer status means a lot to you, that's the way to go. if not, I think the FX is gorgeous, more fun to drive and a better value...

Jon B.
    4-r bags of mulch is no problem. The cargo area is fairly short, so some shrubs/plants would have to be laid on their sides. Haven't tried a steam cleaner but that should fit as well.