Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• Options
    stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    My FX 45 is a 2004 model, I took possession in Sping 04 so last winter was my only experience. I had the orignal tires & they were so wide they acted like snowshoes and floated over the snow, gving me little control. I put 20" Toyo Proxes on this summer with an agressive-looking tread but I have not had them in the snow yet. Word on the street is that everyone loves thier FX EXCEPT for the snow.

18" wheels w?Blizzaks would do the job but it seems that no one offers plain steel wheels and I am not in the mmod to spend big bucks on a fancy wheel/tire package.

Anybody hear about using ties a few mm too narrow or maybe a differet profile. I heard from one person that there are 20" snow tires available clsoe to the FX's size and that being a "little" off is not a problem. told me that minor differences are OK
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Although 20" winter tires that will fit may be available - and you will have to look because they are extremely rare - they are going to be very expensive and will probably not be as effective as a smaller diameter size (like 17's or 18's) in a narrower/taller profile. If you live in an area that gets regular snowfalls and icy conditions and are serious about winter traction, I would look for the cheapest alloy wheel that would fit and get the Blizzak's, sized so that your diameter and tire circumference stay very close to stock. Look under the FX35 for wheels as there is a much better selection and and size,offsets etc. are the same. Having a separate wheel/winter tire package will save you lots of money not having to rebalance they twice a year, plus the associated wear and tear of remounting them. You will also preserve your main wheels so that will look nicer during the warm weather months, plus your original tires will last that much longer. But the biggest benefit of all is the peace of mind that comes with superior traction when the weather turns nasty - and it can actually make winter driving fun as opposed to just adding stress.
  • Options
    pmomcipmomci Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 FX45 has a brake squeal when backing up. There is a fix now, but it didn't work on mine. Anything new at your end?
  • Options
    pmomcipmomci Member Posts: 2
    This is a 2004 FX45 with squealing brakes when backing up. The factory retro-fit which is now available, has not worked. Any news on this out there?
  • Options
    mick3mick3 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know any information regaring an update to the FX Navigation DVD? If so, approximate price? Thanks.
  • Options
    texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I received a mailing from Zenrin USA, the maker of the DVD for the nav unit. The newest release is available. I believe the price was $199.
  • Options
    aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    Is it better to take today's deal on the FX35 with touring package for $3000 down and $369 a month for a 39 month lease (only 10K miles a year though) or to wait and get the 2006 model that includes Bluetooth and the rear view monitor?

I can't afford the tech package for 2005 but if I purchase the 2006 model the price for the base model will probably be close to the price for this year's model, especially if I wait until October or November of 2006.

Does anybody have a FX35 with the rear view monitor? Is this a useful feature? My wife's car has the rear obstacle detector that beeps when you approach something - this is much more low tech!
  • Options
    dantedante Member Posts: 92
    In light of the significant blind spots on the FX (the price you pay for an awesome design), I recommend strongly that you get the rear view camera. Very cool and essential to avoid accidents. And if you live in the 'burbs and have children running around, absolutely vital. Jon B.
  • Options
    gmsalvationgmsalvation Member Posts: 6
    I'm getting ready to get a new car in March and the FX is at the top of my list. I had a question on price though. I know that around that time the 2006s will just be out so I'm hoping I can get a great deal on a 2005. Would I be able to find an FX35 AWD w/touring, 39 month lease with 0 down, for under $500/month? I'd rather know if I'm out of the ballpark now before I start shopping in 4 months only to be disappointed then.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the FX35 was RWD instead of AWD.
  • Options
    redvoodoo55redvoodoo55 Member Posts: 3
    Has any researched the difference in power loss through the driveline parts for the RWD vs. the AWD FX35 and/or know what those losses might be? I assume the AWD loss will be more but I was hoping for specific numbers.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    This would likely depend on how much 2005 FX inventory is left at the time the 2006 models are released. More 2005 inventory would likely equal to even more discounts on 2005 models. The monthly lease payment would depend on how much of a discount one would get on the 2005 model. Chances are the payments would be less, but I wouldn't have an idea on the numbers since I normally buy cars, not lease.
  • Options
    mainemantoomainemantoo Member Posts: 1
    We just took delivery of a FX35 with the TPMS system.

Has anyone found a way around the $100 per wheel dealer charge for an additional set of tire pressure monitors? Is there a source other than the local dealer?

I'm getting ready for winter with a set of 18" Blizzaks on new wheels and the extra $400 turns me off a bit!
  • Options
    According to New Infiniti G35 to Debut at New York Auto Show, 2006 FX will go on sale in January 2006.
  • Options
    cmdpmcmdpm Member Posts: 9
    I just got this lease in the Philadelphia area:

FX35 Black/Brick, Touring, Tech, a few accessories
    $0 cap reduction, $1402 oop(includes 1st mo payment)
    39 mo, 12k
    $500/mo including 9% local tax.

Took me some time but i think it was worth it.

Good Luck to all.
  • Options
    audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    Hi! On our hunt for a nicely equipped mid-sized SUV, we added the FX to our list and test drove it for the first time today. WOW! Since I have never been a fan of Nissan interiors, I was not expecting to walk out impressed - but boy did I ever :)

My question is this, I have heard a reference on an earlier post that the FX45 w/ DVD has an aux input that can be used for an MP3 player. Can anyone confirm this? Would a 35 w/ DVD have the same port?

If not, we would look into an after-market solution like the "PAC AAI-NIS" that hooks up where they would install the XM receiver but I wanted to know what might work without taking the dash apart. I think we will be waiting for an '06, maybe there will be a better way to do this by then. ;)
  • Options
    soonerfxsoonerfx Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the factory installed dvd has an aux input that will allow you play an mp3 player through the car's sound system. Just connect an iPod monster cable that you would use for your home stereo system, set the tuner to DVD, and the DVD to "aux". This provides MUCH better sound than the radio-frequency or cassette tape transfers for mp3 players. We have an FX45 and I wouldn't imagine it being any different for a 35.
  • Options
    bigmufabigmufa Member Posts: 2
    Where do u live- I'm on Long Island- New York ands just signed a lease deal- down was tax and first payment and bank fee only and payments are $425 month
  • Options
    bigmufabigmufa Member Posts: 2
    AWD with Touring Package [plus some extras-
    I'm in NY- 2700 OOP (includes first month, tax, bank) and 39 month at $425/month- very hapopy with price
  • Options
    gmsalvationgmsalvation Member Posts: 6
    I'm in metro Detroit. From doing research, it looks like I should be able to get a 2005 FX35 AWD w/touring, 39 months @15k miles for $450/month at the most come March of '06.
  • Options
    Does the technology package really make it safer to back up? I am not sure how I can simultaneously look over my shoulder to see what is visible to me through the rear window and mirrors and look at the rear view monitor. Maybe this works for stationary objects behind me but what happens if you are in a parking lot with moving cars and pedestrians?

How is the rest of the technology package? How does the navigation package compare to the ones offered by Acura and Lexus? Is it DVD-based? Is it up-to-date or do I have to get replacement DVDs?

I might decide just to save money and get the RWD with just the touring package (I live in South Florida so AWD is probably unnecessary)
  • Options
    I own an FX 35 AWD 2004 with everything but the DVD entertainment option. I love the Tech Package and find the rear camera critical due to blind spots. You have to do a bit of both, use your mirrors, look over your shoulders, and use the camera, when backing up. The camera is awesome if you live in the burbs with children and pets that might get in the way, for backing up into tight spots, and even for pulling out of tight spots as the camera does not look straight down but gives you a pretty good view of what is behind you. I swear by it.

The NAV is also very good and I love the bird's eye view that it offers. Much better than the typical flat NAV system. I have heard that as far as using the NAV system as a "yellow pages", it is not so good but I never use the NAV in that manner, only to find a known address. Good luck. Jon B.
  • Options
    I have noticed that many other cars have a dedicated "Problems & Solutions" forum, but the FX does not have one. Does this vehicle realistically have fewer problems than others, or is it simply that no one ever started a new forum?

Just interested if there is a relation there.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's hard to say why some models wind up with problems discussions and others don't. We're pretty much member driven and haven't discouraged anyone from starting one.

No one ever made an issue over separating the 45 from the 35 either.

In any event, it's safe to say that all cars enjoy their fair share of problems. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    xtonyfxxtonyfx Member Posts: 14
    Sales ploy, own a Lexus and got the same thing, actually there was someone else's piggybacked to my letter, so looks like they are computer generated.
  • Options
    cuecue Member Posts: 13
    Hello room! I have a ? I purchased my fx45 in august, the dealer told me when it comes time and it snows, shut off the VDC, and then put snow mode on. Did anyone else get this tip? Also, how many people have tried the Toyo proxes? I think its Toyo tires? And used them in the snow? thanks
  • Options
    sphere99sphere99 Member Posts: 36
    My dealer didn't even tell me about the new retro-fit? He just said its something you have to sacrifice for, that they are high performance brakes and that's a bug.
  • Options
    jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    just leased an 03fx35. salesman told me to use regular fuel and high test is only recommended not required. has anyone been using regular consistently? will i see a difference in mpg and/or performance? by the way, car is way better than my previous 5 series bmw. handling is amazing, power is fine and everything else is just great.
  • Options
    I'm sure it will work well on regular grade fuel, albeit a performance and mileage penalty (I always get less mileage on my Acura daily driver when I use regular, instead of premium, although YMMV). Having said that, I only use premium grade on our FX.

And percentage-wise, the difference in price between premium grade fuel and regular grade fuel has actually shrunk with the rise in gas prices, i.e. when regular gas was about $1.50 and premium gas was $1.70, the $0.20 difference was about 13.3%. But now, with regular gas about $2.30 and premium at $2.50, the $0.20 difference is only about 8.7%. I actually don't understand why gas stations insist on this fixed $0.20 interval rather than using percentages.

I guess that 8.7% still makes a huge difference if yearly costs are taken into account assuming a high yearly mileage on the vehicle.

BTW, is it still a NEW 2003 FX35?
  • Options
    jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    my mistake, it is an 05 and it is new with 10 miles on it. thanks for the tip regarding the fuel!
  • Options
    I have an FX45 and use 91 octane. Where I buy gas it costs only 3 cents more a gallon than either 87 or 90 - strange but true. This morning on the way to work 87 and 90 were priced at $1.989 which means the 91 is at $2.019. It's been this way for 3-4 years. This indicates to me that most stations make a much larger profit selling premium than regular.

P.S. On my car I do notice a performance improvement when using higher octane gas. I have never tried to measure the difference in mileage, but I suspect it's minimal at best.
  • Options
    pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    On the contrary, I have noticed performance degradation even using different gas stations. i find that my FX45 has more kick when using chevron gas compared to shell or arco. I push my FX alot with hard driving so I noticed this right away. Much more sluggish with the other gas stations. it may be the techron but the difference is there. Also, I use manumatic quite extensively and you can feel the difference much more in this mode compared to full auto. But then again I have modded my FX with a nismo catback exhaust and upgraded reflashed performance ECU so it is very noticeable. Just my .02 cents.
  • Options
    dafreeriderdafreerider Member Posts: 12
    I just got my '05 FX35 with 17K miles on the odometer. It has OEM tires - 260/60/18" Bridgestone Potenza RE92A. I went to the Tirerack.com and read the reviews and they are just horrible! People say it's one of the worst tires. No snow traction, poor hydroplanning protection, good only on dry roads.

Since we live in PA, I am scared going into the winter with these tires on. I am thinking about either winter tires or better all-seasons with good reviews.

I am not planning to go off-road, but would like to be safe driving this beauty in the winter.

I would like to hear what people here have experienced with Potenza RE92A? How bad are they in the snow? What about heavy rain? How fast do they wear (I think the treadlife warranty is only 40K)? :( Did anyone run out and change them right away?

Otherwise, LOVE this car! :shades:
  • Options
    No problem. Enjoy your ride.
  • Options
    I'd go with the owners' reviews on TireRack - if the consensus is that the traction in snow is poor, it probably is...if you get lots of snow in PA where you live, I'd go with a good set of winter tires. You could then put the RE92A's back on in the spring, and use them until the tread wears out.
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    just leased an 03fx35. salesman told me to use regular fuel and high test is only recommended not required. has anyone been using regular consistently? will i see a difference in mpg and/or performance?

I ran Regular 87 octane in my '04 FX35 for about half its 15,000 miles (I recently traded the FX for an M35). In my case the mileage on 87 Regular was a little better than when on 93 Premium.

Infiniti RECOMMENDS 91 octane - it is NOT required as per the manual. In my case with about 7500 miles on 93 and about 7500 miles on 87; I saw no change in performance and a slight increase in mpg.

BTW: The ONLY way the FX35 will see a redued performance with Regular vs. Premium is at WOT (wide-open-throttle_, and I do not drive that way.
  • Options
    cuecue Member Posts: 13
    I just took my 45 out in the snow for the first time since it was purchased. I will try to make this quick. When stopping the antilock made a horrible loud crunch noise, mostly seemed like the front left tire, or under the hood for sure. I tried shutting off the VDC, put on snow mode, hit the gas hard and somehting still made a a loud noise, and still when braking, shut those snow off and VDC back on, and hit the gas and still I heard this noise, I am wondering if maybe isthe transfer case, or the wheel being activated by the AWD system. Anyone else hear this or have this problem I do not want brake anything driving it, though it it is under war.
  • Options
    begawk1begawk1 Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2005 fx 35 with spot package. I live in nyc so not tons of snow but still some. Also I drive upstate on highways to go x-country sking when it snows. How concerned should I be? I still have my old subaru ,should i keep it for snow driving?
  • Options
    2003 FX35 had an AWD LOCK button on the left side of dash (next to VDC button). My 2005 FX35 has SNOW button where AWD LOCK was in 03 model. Do they do the same? How do you lock AWD on 2005 model? The manual does not say how. It says SNOW mode reduces engine output.

:confuse:
  • Options
    Can't help you with your question on the '05, but I find that with my '03 the "lock mode" is GREAT fun in deep, freshly fallen snow - provided you have winter tires installed!
  • Options
    slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    This is normal. My FX does this when the antilock brakes are working on ice. It can be annoying-you know you are pressing on the brake pedal trying to stop, you know the car is sliding and at the same time you have this loud noise and the skid light on.
  • Options
    bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    Have to take some of the reviews toungue in cheek. Notice many times the new tires are SO MUCH better than the old ones!

Aren't most new tires better than the old?

Regards winter driving, some people are very new to All wheel drive and think its the cure all for bad weather. THis makes driving in the cold wet stuff even more dangerous as the cavalier attitudes makes one think they are better than they are. Kinda like drinking at the holiday party!

These sport tires, even all season tires can start breaking down at under 20k miles. all wheel drive can eat tires even if your moderatly aggresive. I have been eating tires with my Audi and came to the conclusion that I am a bit more aggresive than I think and my milage and tire tread have been happier. Taking an all season tire that is 3/4 done will not yield great result.

So I don't really listen all too well to all critiques of tires. As mainly suggested, the 20's are not going to do as well as the 18's. IF the all seasons on the 18 are very thick, you should be fine. If not, seek new tires earlier just to be sure and confident.

And take it easy! Remember all brakes are all wheel drive and they still can't stop on ice! Good luck to all this winter.
  • Options
    yutakagiyutakagi Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Looking at picking up a used FX35 (2003/4). What's the information display show when there's no nav? Pictures seem to show a monochromatic, orange on black text... is that right? What can you do with it, if anything? Is the displayed information useful?

Thanks.

YT
  • Options
    Screen is used for all trip computer, general settings/preferences & maintenance info (service reminders, etc) and HVAC settings; plus CD/radio volume, channel/disk/track numbers and RDS info if station supports it. Bland to look at but very useful, I would say.
  • Options
    Climate control info; Audio controls; Outside temp; Trip information (time, mileage, avg speed); Tire pressure in all 4 tires; Avg fuel economy and distance to empty; Personalized setting menu - you can customize lots of things, like auto lights off feature, if you want the seat and wheel to move out of the way when you get out, what doors to open when you press unlock, etc.

Overall very useful display. I like it much better than in 2002 RX300. It's less bright at night (which is good) and less distracting than RX300's.
  • Options
    emkayzenemkayzen Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for FX35 with Tech and Touring Pkg. Is it true that we can get better deal on this using internet. I still feel that going direct to the dealer will get me better price. I may be wrong. Any experience on this?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    fxesqfxesq Member Posts: 2
    Good suggestion - also works well with XM radio - much improved reception and fidelity over FM link . . .
  • Options
    edwardc3000edwardc3000 Member Posts: 30
    Hello all..
    I must say thanks already for all the information that is provided here..It's truly exceptional !

2 quick questions..
    1) Is it better to wait for the 06's in January, or buy an 05 now (I'm not in a rush, but cant find anything about improvements expected in the next model)
    2) Anyone have real life experiences with any dealers in NJ.. Purchase not lease if that makes a difference..

Thanks and Happy Holidays
    ED
  • Options
    The major reason we are waiting for an 06 is that from the pictures, it looks like they moved the seat controls from ON the seat back down to where most other cars have them.

I realize this sounds petty, but I already have problems with my back and I have seen posts that some other people have experienced discomfort with the seat controls in the current position. Sounds like a majority of the specs are the same.

If you don't care about this, I suspect you will be able to get some good prices on an 05 since there was a very minor face lift for 06 - they will probably want to clear the lots of the older variety.

-AMM
  • Options
    what a coincidence, just happened to me and had logged on to write about it. I was visiting Minnesota and we got three inches of snow. I was driving in the city, drove into a deeper pile of snow, stepped on the brakes and the ABS kicked in with a loud, scary thumping noise as the brake pedal pulsated big time. Freaked me out, thought i broke something. Are you sure this is normal? Jon.