Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• presto64presto64 Member Posts: 1
    you can get an loaded fx45 for $1000 under invoice if you purchase. 36 month lease (15k, nothing out of pocket) is $650

or you can order a 06, but pricing is not yet finalized.
  • snipe1snipe1 Member Posts: 14
    Bought my '05 FX45 new this Aug. Had it out in the first snow of the year here on Long Island, and as I expected, the Goodyear RS-A's leave much to be desired. (Went to some empty, unplowed parking fields.) Goodyear considers this an "all-season" tire and gives it a rating of 8 for snow traction. ?????
    I don't want a set of dedicated winter tires (although I realize they are absolutely the best in snow).
    So, after looking at all the 265/50-20's I could find; I've decided to put on Falken Ziex S/TZ-04's. $165 ea. from Discount Tire. The tread blocks seem better suited for biting into snow and releasing it as well. (The 60 series Bridgstones on the 35 don't look particularly suited to snow either, IMHO.) The Disc. Tire sales guy felt the Falken would be much superior the RS-A.
    Please understand, I've yet to actually drive on the Falkens so, this is speculative. As soon as I have some actual snow time on them I'll post my findings.

The ABS on the FX is quite evident and really gets your attention. I induced plenty making some hard stops in the snow covered parking field. Much more intrusive than any other car I've had.

I would much prefer having the differential lock mode of the earlier models over the "snow" mode of my '05
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "I would much prefer having the differential lock mode of the earlier models over the "snow" mode of my '05."

Anyone know why they changed it? I've never driven an '05 so I haven't tried one with snow mode, but in snow I really like the lock mode on my '03. Got my winter tires on last week, just before we got a 3" snow fall, so I'm good to go. It's below 0 as I'm typing this!
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    Interesting, as the owner of an FX35 with the Sport package (20 inch wheels), i am very curious to know what you think about the Falkens. Please report back. Jon.
  • dafreeriderdafreerider Member Posts: 12
    I have a strange experience with '05FX35. When I fill up (untill the pump clicks out once) the fuel gauge does not go up all the way to FULL. It's almost there, but not quite.

Then I drove 60 miles and the fuel gauge indicated slightly less than 3/4 tank. I could not believe it was that thirsty!!! Something is off. I use 91 octane.

I get on average (according to the monitor) 15.7 mpg with mostly highway driving. Is this normal? What do people get with their FX35's?

Also, when you fill up, what is the DTE(distance to empty) says? Mine is like 280 miles. Strange.

Any similar experiences? Is something broken?
    on my 2004 FX 35 I get about 20 mpg on the highway and between 9 and 14 in the city...
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I have a '04 FX35 RWD. I drive fairly conservatively. I regularly get 17-18 mpg around town. On the highway driving 70-75 mph I average 22-23. If I drive 65, which is the posted limited in the Houston metro area, I can get 25-26. Most posters getting lower than EPA mileage, I believe, are tending to enjoy the performance of the car on a more regular basis than I do.
    Most of my driving is in the suburbs with stoplights and local freeways, usually with traffic. My trip computer consistently indicates from 16.2 - 16.8 MPG. I've never tested in on a long trip but suspect it might get 20-22 or so. Much of the time when I have taken a long trip I've been towing my boat, in which case I do not want to know my mileage!
    Will do Jon.
    I hope to have the Falkens on early next week.
  • slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    I just had by FX35 in for its 26,000 mile service. The dealer called and recommended that I replace the tires-they are getting to the wear indicators. I have been looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. From what I could find online, they got very good ratings from the Tire Rack. Is anyone familiar with this tire or doing business with the Tire Rack? Also, they gave me a G35X to drive while my car was being serivced. The traction was amazing-I could take turns at normal speed on snow covered roads and the back end didn't slide out. I mentioned this to my salesman. He said that the G35X and the FX35 are really the same vehicles underneath. The biggest difference is the wide tires on the FX. I would have thought they would have designed the FX to have at least the same or better traction as the G.
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    I have an '04 FX 45 and the origianl tires made the car terrible in anything over an inch! Now I have Toyo Proxes but have not had them in snow yet. :surprise: I'll see what happens if the snow hits the NYC area this weekend as predicted. If so, I'll post.

Bottom line = wide tires act like snowshoes, the best solution is 17" wheels w/Blizzaks but why have a second set of tires for a vehicle they keep showing runnng through snowdrifts on TV? :mad: :mad: :mad:
    "Bottom line = wide tires act like snowshoes, the best solution is 17" wheels w/Blizzaks but why have a second set of tires for a vehicle they keep showing runnng through snowdrifts on TV?"

Very likely, the one they keep showing running through snowdrifts on TV has winter tires on. My last 5 cars have all had AWD, and I've used winter tires on all of them, but I'm in Minnesota so they get good use. You can run a more aggressive summer tire in the other months, plus they last longer.
  • fxesqfxesq Member Posts: 2
    I put 20" Toyo Proxies on my FX35 10 days ago, and we've had two moderate snowfalls since (in S/W Connecticut). So far I'm very happy with them - good ride and handling on dry roads, and good grip in snow. Of course they're very wide, and thus take a little more time and distance to stop. They're definitely an improvement over the OEM Goodyear RS-As.
    Thank you, I may look into those. I am very disappointed in my 2004 FX35, AWD, Tech, Sport and Premium Package, when it comes to snow handling. We have had two snow storms here in the Midwest during the past two weeks. My FX floats on snow with its 20 inch OEM Goodyears, gives me zero confidence in snow. I am better off with a front drive rental sedan for pete's sake.
    So much for buying an AWD vehicle.

My wife's Volvo XC70, on the other hand, with its Pirelli Scorpion OEMs is a tank in snow, it grips the road like a talon. It is actually a blast to drive in snow storms with the Volvo, an amazing car.

I feel that Infiniti has misrepresented, via its commercials and dealerships, what the FX can do for those of us who live in the snowbelt. After spending $40K plus on a "winter" car, it is extremely annoying to have to spend another $1,000 plus for winter tires and wheels. Jon.
  • cuecue Member Posts: 13
    Ok I have heard enough about individuals writing in about how bad this truck is in snow. First thing no car/suv out there is made to perform as if it was on dry pavement, when it is in snow. I was told to turn off the VDC control, then place the snow mode on. I have a FX45 05. I just drove through 8-10 inchs of untouched snow with no problems. Whether turning or at a full stop. I live in RI, and went into a parking lot on purpose to see how it handled. Another does anyone know how to actually drive in snow? Just because you have a SUV AWD/4WD doesn't mean you can go flying up and down streets, or the highway. No vechile no matter what it has stops on a dime in snow. People should be doing 5-10mph! So take your time the next time it snows and see what happens. Oh yes I do have the stock tires on right now. I'm not saying better tires wont help but I am saying my FX went through 8-10 inchs no problem. So if those of you wanting performance in the snow, learn to drive and wait till summer for the dry pavement.
    Trust me, I know how to drive in snow. 17 years in the Midwest. And I am a very careful driver. It is just disappointing when a Volvo station wagon kicks [non-permissible content removed] in snow and the FX with the 20 inch wheels does not have the same grip. You have an '05? What are your OEM tires, same as the 04's? Jon.
    I have the 20" Goodyear tires that came with the FX45. I'm not saying a different tire would act better in snow. Again I had no problem going through 8-10" of snow. It's funny to hear your volvo "kicked [non-permissible content removed] in snow" buy a snow mobile instead. Try driving 5-10mph do not jam on the breaks, any car/truck antilock or not would float in the snow if driving to fast in it. Second if one does not not to be out in the snow then dont, wait till the plows come through, or worst case if one has to, you drive home from where ever you are, and take your time. Talk to any old timer who drove in the snow before anitlock AWD/4WD and they drove slow, and made it where they head to. Oh yes easy on the throttle the more horsepower/torque more those wheels will spin. I am done with this topic.
    You said you turn off VDC and turn on SNOW mode, right? Why do you turn off VDC? Wouldn't that give you better grip when turning, when it corrects for the sliding? Who told you to turn VDC off?
  • mick3mick3 Member Posts: 7
    You can get a good deal going to certain dealers internet sales managers directly. Especially in areas where there is competition between dealerships. My understanding is that inventory is still pretty high on '05's and '06's are not yet available until inventory drops. Bottom line is now is the time to get a great deal on an '05.
  • mick3mick3 Member Posts: 7
    Interesting comments on snow performance. My experience with the 18'' Potenzas in snow mode has been excellent in about 6" of snow, even on hills. Light years ahead of my BMW 528 with 4 new Blizzaks. The key is to avoid any sudden starts and stops like you would with ANY other car in the snow.
  • kelkelkelkel Member Posts: 1
    okay, i just bought a used '05 fx35. there is a small light on in the dash.... looks like a exclamation mark inside a horseshoe. i don't have an owners manual. does anyone know what it means? i'm thinking tire pressure needs to be checked, but i'm not sure?
    Yes, it means tire pressure is low.
    I was told by a friend that if I want to replace rubber I should only take it to the dealer, because other places may not have the equipment for these allow wheels and may scratch the lip of the rim while mounting new tires. I called one large tire store chain and asked if they have the new equipment that does NOT scratch the alloy wheels. The answer was surprisingly - NO!

Does anyone have any experience with scratched rims when installing new rubber? Could anyone specify what equipment is it that does not scratch the wheels?
    guy from service center when i purchased the suv, and the salesman, they both said shut off VDC, then put it in snow mode, with the VDC on I did notice that when a wheel spins, the anti-lock brake motor goes on and makes that loud bang(normal) to keep any tires from spinning. I shut it off and put on the snow mode and have no problems.
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    We presently have a Honda Pilot and Hyundai Tucson and need a 3rd vehicle. I really like the FX35 and have found a few slighly owned ones. The Pilot and Tucson are great in the snow and after reading some of these I can tell u i have some concerns. I live on a steep hill on a private road overlooking the Deleware Water Gap here in NEPA and absolutely need a reliable vehicle with good AWD grip. We are thrilled with the Pilot and blown away by the Tucson due to no problems and great overall performance in snow and sun. We have owned two Maximas and I want a FX. She wants another Pilot or Tucson. Please tell me if I should shy away from FX if snow is going to be an issue. It certainly is not with these other two vehicles.
    There is nothing wrong with the all wheel drive system in the FX, but the wide stock tires especially the 20" ones are not ideally suited for snow (the FX with these tires will however, easily outhandle either of your existing cars no matter what tires you put on them). But for best performance in the snow or one ice you should get dedicated winter tires. Then I guarantee you will have no problem climbing your steep hill.
    The AWD system is at least as good if not better than in Pilot or Tucson, but the OEM tires are high-performance all-season. If you want great snow grip get dedicated winter tires. It's the tires not FX35 itself that may present the problem in snow.

FX35 is the best car I ever owned. Awesome handling, amazing power, great seats, tasteful interior, top-notch safety, short braking distances, sporty ride and of course who can forget the exhaust sound... :D
  • elliefx04elliefx04 Member Posts: 3
    SteveFX45,

Have you taken out the FX w/the Proxies in the snow yet? I have Proxies as well & I'm very curious to know about it's performance in the snow. I had the tires siped for better traction but am still debating on whether or not to get Blizzaks put on for going skiing. The Blizzaks now come in 20's and I was thinking about getting those instead of getting new wheels and tires. We had a light dusting of snow/sleet and the siped proxies did ok but i felt like the vehicle fishtailed when turning corners.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Please don't expect your FX on high performance 20" all season tires to be like a snow plow and hang on for life in the dry pavement also. As others have said, if you want to go like a tractor in the snow, get dedicated snow tires. If you get performance snow tires they will handle almost as well as your all seasons in the dry. The stock 20" tires were made for dry performance and your FX will out handle all SUV's(other than the cayenne)and most sports sedans as well. Put the Blizzaks on and your your FX will out perform most suv's in the snow, too. Please don't blame poor traction on the vehicle. It's just not so.
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    I had the FX out the day after the storm; did not want to try them for the first time in a 45 minute snow storm drive to work so I used my wife's trusty Chevy Blazer w/ real 4WD that day.

I went to a local parking lot the day after and it had 4 or 5 inches of unplowed snow. The car did well, accelerated without slipping, braked well & turned without skidding. The only issue is that this was crunchy day-old snow, not the slippery wet type. I did look for snow mounds where the plow had gone by and crashed through them easily.

I will get out the next snowfall & put them to the full test but even after the trial run I did I can say they are way ahead of the uselss OEM's. Bottom Line: a step up but still need to test them more before I'd say forget the 20" Blizzaks (which must be new).

A note to those saying it is not the car's fault: COrrect BUT the manufacturer (Infiniti) should not have rolled out a new car knowing that winter tires were unavailable and you needed to buy smaller rims to make it a viable snow vehicle. Shame on me for not checking!
    "A note to those saying it is not the car's fault: COrrect BUT the manufacturer (Infiniti) should not have rolled out a new car knowing that winter tires were unavailable and you needed to buy smaller rims to make it a viable snow vehicle. Shame on me for not checking! "

My point exactly. You spend $42K on a new AWD car and then find out you have to spend $1,200 for winter tires and rims...

Very excited that Blizzak has come out with 20 inch winter tires, love the FX so going to check those out. Jon.
    There are 2 snow tires that come in the 20's, the Blizzaks, which just came out in November & the Dunlop Grandtek. You can get the Blizzaks @ tirerack.com for $184.00 ea. I actually went to my local Bridgestone/firestone dealer & their price on the blizzaks were significantly more but they agreed to match Tirerack's price. The Dunlop is around $200.00 per tire.

I agree that the vehicle isn't the problem- it's well equipped to go into the snow, it's just finding tires and going to that extra expense that's the problem. Every tire expert I've spoken with says the narrower the tire, the better handling in the snow as the 20's will float. I had a 4Runner before and the 16" all seasons did great - I didn't need to get snow tires. - I should mention that living in Portland, OR we don't get a lot of snow fall here in the valley but I like to trek up to the mountain. .

Of course I thought about no snow tires but chain up if needed. The manual says you can fit chains on the rear but the tire shop said there may be an issue of them fitting with the 20's and the lower profile, etc.

:confuse:
  • someguy1someguy1 Member Posts: 42
    This is probably an old conversation but I am closing in on potentially a low milage used FX35 or FX45. I am hoping for some pro's and con's to each and any info on quirks you like or dislike about the SUV.

topics...
    Acceleration
    Gas differential
    Road behavior
    Misc.

Thanks for the help. I am really a bit lost as to which to choose with the difference in price of some being small.

Thanks
    KA
    Someguy1,

I think it all comes down to performance. If you want high performance go with the 45 - it will go from 0 to 60 in 6 (beats the cayanne). Otherwise go with the FX35 w/sport package if you want the 20" wheels (great handling in tight curves). I'm getting about 16 miles per the gallon w/the 35. . The 45 would be a bit less than that.
    Also listen to the engine when you drive them. The FX35 has a raspier engine note that sounds very sporty, which you may or may not like. The FX45 is quieter in everyday operation, and emits a deeper pitch when accelerating.

As would expect, the 6 cylinder gets better mileage, but it's not that significant - maybe 2-4 mpg better in combined city/highway driving. I drive mostly in the city/suburbs, in traffic with frequent stoplights, and have consistently averaged 16.0 - 16.6 mpg.
    I test drove both and opted for the FX35. Of course the FX45 is blistering fast off the line, its low end torque is impressive, but the FX35 is no slouch and considering that (a) the price differential for new between the two was significant, and (b) I don't track race, tow, etc..., I went with the FX35 and have been very happy with its performance.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all of you while I am at it. Jon.
  • herbsyufyherbsyufy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used FX35 which came with only one key. I asked the dealer about getting a second key (you know, just in case...), and he told me that they cost more than $100. Is that true? If so, why? Is there some sort of chip imbedded in the key? I DON'T have the tech package with the keyless mumbo-jumbo. This is just a regular old car key, as far as I know.

What's the dealio?
  • someguy1someguy1 Member Posts: 42
    JBaumgart
    Which do you have if I may ask?
    KA
    I have the FX45 - an '03 with about 45,000 miles.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered a set of Falken Ziex ST/Z-04's in 265/50-20 to replace the OEM Goodyears.
    I've been driving on them for about 2 weeks now and am quite satisfied. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we've not had any snow here on LI.
    I can report that I find the ride more comfortable and while I'm sure the OEM RS-A's will outperform them in the dry, they certainly handle well enough. (Note: the Falkens are H rated, not Z as the RS-A's are.) The Falkens are fine in the rain and I would expect the much deeper and more widely spaced tread blocks to be far superior in the snow. As has been mentioned, wide tires are not ideal for snow. I knew this going in and figured I'd probably have to change tires. That being said I do agree with those of you who say that Infiniti does not really paint an accurate picture of the FX's adverse weather capabilities. Interestingly, Land Rover has shod its new Range Rover Sport with 275/40-20's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When the snow comes (and I'm sure it will) I will report further.

A word about buying tires online: Dealing with Discount Tire Direct was fine and I had the tires in a couple of days. (Bought tires from Tire Rack a few years ago for my Jeep too.) But, getting them mounted, especially low profile 20 inchers, didn't prove so easy. Discount Tire has a list of recommended installers with prices for mounting and balancing. But, the first guy said he'd have to charge $50 each to do 20's. Next shop said he'd do them for $15 each but, when I got there said his machine could only handle 18's. Sorry, blah, blah. Next place…out of business. Stopped at an STS shop who wanted $32 ea. But, couldn't do them that day. Finally I found a local private shop (not on the list) who did them all for an even $100.
    So, it might be wise to check out the installers first and perhaps get some pricing on the tires from them before ordering.

To be continued………………
  • johnkjonesjohnkjones Member Posts: 1
    That is correct. This is the signal for a low pressure in one of your tires.
  • ferrari99ferrari99 Member Posts: 15
    Hello-

I replaced the OEM goodyears about 3 months ago. I have a 2003 FX 45. Replaced with Bridgestone Dueler H/L 265/50 R20. These are V rated.

Positives- Here in Salt Lake we can get snow/ice from Nov-March so the previous OEM's sucked in the rain and especially snow as you already probably know.

The Bridgestones are much better in the rain and snow, with much better traction and braking, although i would not want to take them up the canyons on a heavy snow day- but in moderate to light snow they do very well. Rain seems to be no problem for them.

Bridgestone should last above 30K miles if not a lot more with regular rotation and have a progressive tread compound that is not suppose to have major variances as the tires wear. The OEMS with regular roation and not too hard of driving style lasted 20K miles.

Negatives- Dry traction not as good as the OEM's. Also they seem to have a bit more road noise than the OEM's and are a bit harsher ride. This may be due to the tread block differences.

The Duelers ran me about $230 a piece installed by the local dealer. Had to wait about 3 weeks for them to come into stock in Oct.

FX45 rocks!
    I did not drive a FX35 but i am sure it is good. I do love my 2003 FX45 (23K Miles). I do get about 17MPG in mainly city driving so it sounds like gas milage is compareable to the 35. I do "get on" my FX45 now and then and don't [non-permissible content removed] it so it's probably realistic. Only aftermarket part is a K&N filter.

The accelaration and power will be noticeable between the two- everything else with 20 inchers is probably pretty close to being the same. (i am not sure if the FX45 is setup differently in the shocks/struts dept vs the 35.)

If the price is close, accessories are the same and the insurance is not an issue i would go with the FX45 obviously.
    Yes- There is a chip embedded in the key. If you pull it out of the key fob you can see what i believe is the sensor window. ( i am not sure if that is for recoding it or not) but yeah it is there and expensive.
    I have these tires. (20inch) If you need some advice email me or post.

good luck.
    Ooooooooooops.

I mistakenly said the RS-A's were Z rated. In fact, they're V rated.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Hello everyone
    I leased an 05 fx35 in september for my wife. Car is great but at 4,500 miles the break pads are squealing. My wife is very easy on cars so this seams wierd. I've also heard of problems with brake rotors on some Nissan/Infiniti models. Anyone else have this problem? ....Thanks, Dan
    At 47,000 miles I am still on my original pads and except for a brief period quite a while back when I had some very minor squealing I have had no problems. I would have your dealer diagnose.
  • cyruscyrus Member Posts: 25
    I have also had occasional (minor) break squealing as well - especially when getting out / BACKING out of my garage in the mornings. I have an 04 FX/35 (AWD) with 21k miles. I had my break pads/rotors/etc cleaned by the dealer at 4k miles or so, but the squealing came back after a few days. As long as it does NOT get any worse I think it is fairly normal for the FX. When I Pressure clean my wheels/rotos with soapy water squealing will be gone for day or so, and then it is back - which leads me to believe that it is the PAD materials that come off / wear off easily, thereby producing sqealing. Nonethless, I have have had NO problems with my breaks. {P.S.. FX is a "highly reliable" car -except an occasional "rattle" here and there. Check the Consumer Reports which gave the FX/35 Top reliability scores}.
    I have an '05 FX45 with about 7K on it and had the same minor brake squeal when backing out of the garage. Seems to have disappeared somewhere around 6K. Never any squeal when braking during forward motion.

I agree with your PS cyrus. Just not happy with occasional rattles in a car of this class.