Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• mtbmaxmtbmax Member Posts: 5
    my 03 with about 50K miles does not have this problem. i do treat mine with plastic/vinyl cleaner and protectant about once or twice a year.
  • wolfie1wolfie1 Member Posts: 14
    I to have noticed the speedo error on 08 FX35, and it does seem to be about 10% when comparing it to my Garmin GPS (65mph on the speed is barely 60 per GPS)

This is really a lot..I have owned 2 other Infinitis prior to this one (both G35s) and the speedo was only off by 1-2mph, not 5-6.

This is borderline fraud...since I'm being overcharged by 10% on milleage on my lease!

Anyone try taking up this issue with Infiniti Customer service?
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    Aren't the speedo & odo seperate mechanisms?
  • cruzdavecruzdave Member Posts: 7
    On our 04 FX 35

CD inserts and ejects ok but won't play and gives "Check Disc" message.
  • silvershark1silvershark1 Member Posts: 2
    I AM READY TO BUY A 09 FX 35.CAN ONLY AFFORD 2 WHEEL DRIVE WITH 20 INCH WHEELS OR AWD WITH 18 INCH WHEELS.I LIVE IN ARKANSAS,NOT MUCH SNOW BUT PLENTY OF RAIN.DO I NEED AWD????????
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you can do just fine without AWD. Another consideration is that the extra weight of an AWD vehicle will cost you a little more at the gas pump due to somewhat lower gas mileage. Gas prices are likely to go back up when the economy turns around.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Skip the 20 inch wheels, if you can. If you search this forum, you will see multiple complaints about the way the fx is in the snow with the 20's, and from my experience, the 20's cause the fx to really get squirly on cupped pavement. If i were to get one again, I would get the awd with the 18's.

I have had 2 g35s, both rwd, and now a awd fx35 (08), I loved the way the rwd handled, the awd doesnt have the same feel, but I do love not getting stuck in the snow on our skip trips to Vermont, so the awd is the way to go if your going to see much snow.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    My 2003 continues to be the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Just had my first real problem, if you can call it that. After 90,000 miles, the muffler (behind the stainless steel exhaust pipes) developed a rust spot and needed to be replaced - not unusual for any car here in Minnesota where they use lots of salt in the winter. I learned this after taking it in to have the dealer diagnose the problem, and in an hour or so I got a voicemail at work from the dealer's customer service rep. She said it was $810 to replace, but because I had been such a good customer (always had maintenance done at the dealer and always completed those customer surveys afterwards) she called Infiniti and they agreed to absorb all but $275 of the repair. This was without me doing any complaining and before I had even talked to her about the diagnosis or cost.

Just want to get this out there because this kind of service is not very common these days. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to be a repeat customer.
  • silvershark1silvershark1 Member Posts: 2
    thx for your advice........
  • grobblinsgrobblins Member Posts: 1
    When I read the above post, I had to consider that the same thing was happening with my 2005 FX 35. I bought it 6 months ago and have had steadily increase respiratory issues. I had my car tested. It was negative for Legionell but positive the these: Cladosporium, Penicillium, Fusarium which are harmless and naturally occurring.
    Luck for me its not the car, because I love it.
  • traderjefftraderjeff Member Posts: 1
    I was just told by my dealer that my 04 FX45 needs a new muffler because it has a leak in the flange area. I was told the the FX45 has two mufflers.. a center one and a rear one and the rear one is the problem. The dealer wants $761+ tax for a replacement. I see that there are many aftermarket mufflers available but I do not know if they are good replacements. The dealer's service department has said that they know of many people that try aftermarket mufflers but that many of them aren't good fits because the pipes arent bent properly. I do not know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    Jeff, see my post #335 above. You may want to ask the dealer to approach Infiniti to see if they could share the expense with you.
  • cassy1028cassy1028 Member Posts: 8
    I know your post is older but I hope you still sign on... I have the same issue with my 08 FX35, the odometer, compared to my garmin, is about .038% over what it should be. I brought it up to my dealer, who denied there was a problem, and said go to infiniti. I emailed the consumer affairs dept, and they told me to call the financing dept. Did you deal with issue, I could use some pointers on how to approach this with them.

My speedometer is also off by 5mph. They put in a new one but said it was an issue they had no fix for at that time...

Any help is appreciated, thanks
  • ajohanssonajohansson Member Posts: 6
    Hello from Sweden!
    I have a problem with my FX35 that i shipped from the states...I knew that the Nav system was a problem. Think its locked to US region...but there must be a way to unlock the system and make the Navigation open to all maps...the GPS must be the same all over the world...Hopefully someone could help me with this issue...it must be the same problem on all cars exported to Europe.

I was thinking to either unlock the DVD player...or make a regionfree copy of a europe map would solve it...but i dont know how to do it.

I would be so happy if someone out there can help...Greetings from Sweden//Arne Johansson
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I suspect your problem is that the DVD is only for North America. There is no European data on it. I would contact Zenrin to see if they have a DVD for Europe.
  • ajohanssonajohansson Member Posts: 6
    Yes the maps are for US...but i have tried the european maps , but there seems to be a lock in the system...could the DVD be locked to US...like it is on some regular DVD players?
    Any advice would be helpfull!
    Thank you//Arne Json
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    Did you actually replace the DVD in your system. If not, then the DVD that came with the car has no European GPS data in it (I suspect). I don't think it is a matter of being locked out, there simply is no data to access. On the Zenrin site, the product info suggests on USA and Canada data is on the disc. I can only recommend contacting Infiniti and Zenrin to see if a European DVD is available.
  • aq684caq684c Member Posts: 2
    hello just recently purchased an 06"fx35 AWD and need beige/tan oem floor mats
    anyone have any ideas?
    i tried ebay the dealership says they dont make it anymore pls help
    thank you
    I brought up the issue of my fast speedo the last time I was in for service. There comment simply was "we won't do anything because your GPS is aftermarket". In other words, they didn't even acknowledge an issue.

My FX now has 22k miles on it, and by my calculation, the mileage on the speedo is now about 1800 miles over true mileage. At 20 cents/mile on the overage rate for leases, thats $360 worth of overcharging.

I have 2 years left on my lease yet..so still have time to rattle the cage at Infiniti more.

btw, for the numbers...when my Garmin 205 gps says 65, my fx speedo says 71.
    I've noticed some error on my FX45 (compared to what my Garmin indicates) but not to that extent, maybe 3 mph tops which is pretty normal. What tire size (diameter) are you running? Mine are 265/50-20's which have a 30.5" diameter.
    I am trying to turn in my lease (and get a new 09) with their pull ahead program because Im way over milage because of the inaccurate odometer. Last August when I reported the problem, my dealer told me that a GPS is the most accurate measure of speed and milage because it is triangulated by satelite. They also acknowledged the spedometer issue and said that Infiniti knew about it but had no fix for it. My garmin 350 reads 5mph slower exactly, and is off 3.2% - over 4% on milage, depending on the kind of driving I do.

I spoke with infiniti consumer affairs today who is supposed to call me by the end of the day tomorrow. They acted like they never heard of the issue, and I told them that Ive read blogs on line from several customers with the same exact problem. Again, they acted shocked.

I will let you know if they do anything for me. What they are doing is consumer fraud, which in my state carries treble and punitive damages. They know about the problem and continue to rip off customers, 20 cents at a time. I also invite other FX owners/leasers to reply to this if they have similar issues. If they refuse to do anything, I will probably start a separate forum for feedback. It seems to be a problem on the vehicles with the 20in tires, but it may be others.

Ill keep you posted.
    Read my last post. I have the same tires. Set your trip odometer and your garmin and see if its inaccurate. Do this on a longer trip because its usually off by a few tenths of a mile per mile, which adds up. It also fluctuates depending on the type of driving you do.
    I to have the 20's on my 08 FX35. I am taking a trip this weekend...I will reset the trip odometer on both my GARMIN gps and the fx and see what the difference is over 500+ miles.
  • kgoellerkgoeller Member Posts: 1
    FYI: I am on my third (3) yes ! 3rd wheel bearing replacement. Only one more to go.Infinity has not recalled anything yet, but I urge those owners who think you are getting excessive tire noise to check the wheel bearings. Nissan has re-called a wheel bearing issue in the Nissan Altima last year. each one is about $1,000
  • bongeezbongeez Member Posts: 1
    I currently have the same issue with my 07 Fx35. My wife is always telling me to slow down due to the wrong speedometer reading. It has a 10mph discrepancy.

As a matter of fact, I passed in front of a police car with scanner with my speed reading at 83 yet the police officer did not even budge.

Do you get any response from Infinity customer service from you last inquiry?
  • jpjacobs77jpjacobs77 Member Posts: 1
    I see this post was about a year ago, but I am curious to hear the outcome of your inquiry with Infiniti. My husband has a 2005 FX45 that just surpassed the 60K mile mark and had started with the bubbling on the dash. It is spreading rapidly and we fear that Infiniti will say it is out of warranty. It looks terrible and is very disappointing for an automobile that he bought brand new and paid so much for to have such a problem. If you have had any success in disputing I would like to hear about it.
  • squishles10squishles10 Member Posts: 45
    We just got our fx last week and can't seem to get the music box to work. Does it not read mp3 cds? And it doesn't read off the CF card? If that's the case, it's pretty worthless.

Also, how do you access all the nav options while driving? I only get 5 options. I can get to a gas station while driving but not a hospital. This can't be right, or if it is it's really not well thought through.
  • navboynavboy Member Posts: 32
    It seems that the 2010 FX35's are on sale now at Infiniti dealerships. I've included an update for 2010 model below (as of 10/2/09). Does anyone have a link to a "build your own" website for the 2010 model?

From InfinitiUSA.com 10/2/09:

Infiniti today announced pricing on the 2010 Infiniti FX, which is on sale now at Infiniti retailers nationwide.

The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP)* for the three available 2010 Infiniti FX models are:

FX35 RWD $42,400
    FX35 AWD $43,850
    FX50 AWD $58,400

For 2010, changes to FX include standard Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System on all models, the addition of a standard USB Connection Port for iPod and other compatible devices, the addition of a 2.0GB Music Box hard drive to the Bose Premium Audio system (on vehicles without navigation) and simplified exterior/interior color combinations. FX's available Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System has been enhanced for 2010 with the addition of an in-dash single disc DVD audio/video drive, streaming audio via Bluetooth, Zagat Restaurant Guide and XM NavWeather (along with the previously available XM NavTraffic).
    Infiniti says the 2010 FX35 will offer "simplified exterior/interior color combinations" This sounds potentially bad. Does anyone know what the new color combinations are?
    I have a 2007 FX35, and plan to turn it in and lease a new FX35.

Does anyone know the loyalty rebate (or any other rebates) for the 2010 or 2009 FX :confuse:
  • manifosomanifoso Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in your result as well my 05 fx has started bubbling and it has gotten out of hand this summer
  • squishles10squishles10 Member Posts: 45
    My phone is compatible per the Infiniti webpage. I have had several complaints from different people that every 3rd word or so is cutting out and often have to change the call to my handset. Is there a way to fix this? Am I doing something wrong?
  • infinitisvcinfinitisvc Member Posts: 12
    There may be a problem with the Bluetooth module in your car. I had a client come in with a similar problem last week and we had to order the unit for his FX. My advice is to schedule an appointment with your dealer service department and have it checked out.
  • nolicnolic Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 FX35 Sport AWD with over 72000 miles that has bubbles all over the dash board and a little tear on the drivers leather seat (left middle side) called Infiniti last week, complained and requested that they pay to have the dashboard and the leather seat repaired or replaced. I received a call yesterday from an Infiniti representative and she informed me that Infiniti "will not be paying for any repair or replacement because the warranty is over". For the last 17 years, I have owned 4 Nissans and 2 Infiniti's (2008 M35) and a 10 years old VW Passat V6. I even mentioned to them that my 10 years old VW Passat don't even have that problem and it cost a lot less than the 2004 FX35 but...she politely said...sorry...Infiniti will not pay for anything. I'm pissed but what can I say. Next time that I'm ready to purchase my next car...it will definitely be...other than Infiniti.
  • cblasicblasi Member Posts: 2
    I also have the same problems on 07 model with 20in wheels. 14,000 miles. Took it to the dealer a month ago and they said they would reprogram the electronics. I assumed it was fixed since they said it was but I knew within 1 mile that it was not.
    I am returning to dealer tomorrow for another try at it. (I live 150 miles from the dealer and difficult for service).

The service manager is getting short with me and said they never heard about this problem. Tommorrow I plan to share this thread to open their eyes. Next step I will contact company and I think we better initiate a class action suit or recall. When you consider the depreciation on these automobiles, 5% overage adds up. I am not sure of my rights in Colorado but I will contact our attorney general for advice. My worry is my warranty is up in three months.
    After roughly 2000 miles, comparing the car odometer (the one by the speedo) to my gps odometer - the results are...about 4.5% difference. (Its around 90 miles difference for 2000 miles). So the Odometer itself is not off as much as it would seem by looking at the speedo (the speedo itself seems to read over 5 mph off at "70").

I would still like a fix...anyone make any progress on this?
    Just to add to my post - last time I was in for service, I registered a complaint about the speedo being off - they didn't do anything about it, of course, but for the service manager who says he has "never heard of the issue", he should check with Infiniti's central service records!
  • mamadadapaigemamadadapaige Member Posts: 35
    I bought an '06 Acura MDX a few years ago... was under the gun to make a purchase because my car had been stolen and I had the insurance payout to spend. At the time, the MDX was the best I could do with my money. HOWEVER, I wanted an Infiniti FX at the time and couldn't afford it and have never stopped thinking about it. Everytime I drive by one, my head turns...

So, I am thinking about trying to find a dealership that will take my '06 MDX with 66K miles on it for an EVEN exchange with an Infiniti FX35 (AWD). I am thinking for this to happen the FX35 will probably be an '04 ... possibly with enough looking I can find a lower mileage older FX and it will be even.

My question: is this a crazy thing to do? it would be an inpractical thing to do for sure but I sometimes get tired of always doing the practical thing.

Any words of wisdom?
  • aryzhovaryzhov Member Posts: 2
    My FX45 has 80K miles, and I began to notice an unpleasant smell when I get in the car. I keep my interior clean and so I started to suspect that the smell comes in from the vent system. Later I confirmed my suspicion -- when driving with ventilation/AC off the smell goes away. It does smell kind of like exhaust fumes. I also notice some smell when I start the cold engine, and when I step on gas while driving on a freeway.
    Just did a smog check - the car passed.

I have one more long-lasting problem with my car - high oil consumption. Infiniti refused to do anything about it because it was withing their "normal" parameters. No oil leaks though, and I've always wondered where does this oil go. So I wouldn't rule out that what I smell is burned oil.

So I have two ideas regarding the source of the fumes: PCV valve and an exhaust leak. Any ideas or comments?
    aryzhov,

I also have an '03 FX45, with about 95,000 miles. Overall it's been the most reliable vehicle that I've ever owned. However, about 6 months ago, the exhaust did get noticeably louder, and after the dealer diagnosed it, I did have it replaced. I live in Minnesota where they use lots of salt in the winter, so I wasn't surprised that the original muffler developed some rust. But I never did not have the unpleasant smell that you describe, so I don't have any advice to give you on that from my experiences. In my case the dealer went to Infiniti without any prodding by me, and Infiniti ended up absorbing more than half the cost of the new exhaust. After that the car sounded just like new.

On the oil consumption issue I do have to add oil periodically between changes. I haven't measured the rate that the engine burns oil, but I haven't noticed that it's gotten any worse since new. I would guess roughly a half-quart every 2000 miles. I've always used Mobil 1 5W-30, changed about every 5000 miles, so your mileage may vary.

Overall I've been very pleased with the vehicle, and the service from my dealer (Lupient Infiniti in Golden Valley, MN) has been top-notch.
  • simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    Does anyone know if the NAV on the new FX35 calls out the street names ( like my 300 dollar Nuvi ), or does it just show them on the screen.. The RX 350 "does not" call them out.......or so I've been told. And.....I can't find anywhere if it says if the side view mirrors are self dimming ( like on the Hyundai Veracruz ) ( great feature, by the way when you on the highway at nite).......Any info, people?
  • jcsiiijcsiii Member Posts: 1
    I just dropped off my 2008 FX35 with the same issue. The speedometer on this car is actually 10% off. That's measured against two different GPS units and other vehicals. I also have the sport handling package with 20" wheels. As with your experience the service manager acted as though he had never seen this issue. I have 52,000 miles on my 08 which now that I think about it is actually 47,000. I can understand some fluctuation but 10% is extreme.
  • cblasicblasi Member Posts: 2
    I took my FX 35 to the dealer and have both positive and negative news. The negative,.. they didn't fix it. They said the difference is within industry tolerance.

The only positive is the company is recognizing the problem and may begin working towards a solution. I don't expect much though.
  • jcgarridojcgarrido Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE 2005 FX 35 WITH THE SAME DASH BOARD PROBLEM.
  • jcgarridojcgarrido Member Posts: 2
    THE ORLANDO INFINITI DEALERSHIP RECOGNIZES THE PROBLEM BUT DOESN'T AWARE THE CUSTOMER'S BEFORE BUYING A CAR.
  • babashekerebabashekere Member Posts: 4
    I have 2007 FX35. Bought new in Jan 2008 and with under 25,000 miles. The car was shipped to West Africa. Bubbles started showing up on the dashborad 6 months ago, on areas exposed to sun. It has spread so fast now that I am sad to drive my beautiful car.
    Infiniti dealers are not near me and I can not ship the car back to USA for the repalacement.
    I will be glad to have someones please tell me what I can do.
    1. As I learnt on-line, many cars have the problem which is from the manufacturer and replacing the dashboard may not be the final solution as the bubbles can come back later.
    2. What can I use to cover the bubbles up?
    OR
    3. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION POSSIBLE PLEASE?
    you can send me e-mail to [email protected]
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for responses via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks!
  • babashekerebabashekere Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your responce. You comment is highly appreciated and noted.
  • jschmi71jschmi71 Member Posts: 4
    Just an additional confirmation from my dealer. They too spoke with Infinity and were told that a fix is being worked on and a recall will be made to fix the problem. Don't hold you breath.