Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

mifidimifidi Member Posts: 5
For a short while I thought the FX45 might be my only choice for my next car with the XC90 T6 a distant second (probably more utility but less sporty/fun to drive). Now it looks like Cadillac will have a real contender in this new market segment, the SRX (with a supercharged V8). I just wish I didn't have to wait a whole year for a test drive.

Comments

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I, too, bought the FX as our family vehicle. And my wife and I felt that the sport suspension would be too jarring for our toddlers. I didn't want to see their heads bobbing up and down all the time.

My wife and I testdrove a Premium and Sport FX35 back to back before we purchased our Premium. Both of us felt that the ride in the Premium was sporty enough without being too harsh. Our FX35 handles very well and doesn't seem to give up a lot compared to the Sport.

The only draw for the Sport, to us, is the 20" wheels. Since there aren't any FX's equipped as such, i.e. Regular Suspension with 20" wheels, I can't say how that configuration would feel. The sport suspension was OK for me, if the FX would be my personal vehicle.

Regarding resale value, there might be a slight difference between the two. But as Jbaumgart mentioned, the Premium might appeal to a broader audience. And I think there will be less Premium-equipped vehicles built since most of the FX's will have the Sport Package.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I like to see competition espically with Lexus and MB. I cant wait to get my hands on one.
    If Infiniti offers a stick with this car I may need to up grade soon. Looking forward seeing the FX45 this weekend at the Chicago auto show.
  • 4mula14mula1 Member Posts: 3
    jimxo: Did you see the FX45 at the Auto Show? Tell us about it. The website makes no mention of 6sp manual - only shows 5sp A/T.

Is it an SUV or a Station Wagon or something else?
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    IMO, it wasn't that impressive. It's being labeled a "bionic cheetah" but it's a tall,short wagon. However this tall wagon doesn't have much cargo room, seems uncomfortably proportioned WRT body pieces, lights, front end and greenhouse.

The interior is attractive for the 4 passengers that could fit into it. Let's just hope that their only going to dinner not overnite. Granted we weren't allowed into the vehicle so this is just from observations. However, it didn't seem to have a great deal of room except for passengers.

There are parts of the PR that really appealed to me in how it's a combination of all of the best parts of sports car and SUV. With 2 kids and a wife that like to go on weekend trips I'm looking at more SUV and less sports car. I'll have to wait for the MB GST. Hope this helps, good luck to you.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Yes I sat through the briefing. The exterior is about 93% complete. So what you see is what you will get besides trim molding and mud flaps. The interior is only about 60% complete so what you see with respect to the dash is not what will be in the production model. Except the Nav screen will be similar.

I think when people see this car in other colors such as white, the car will be more cosmeticly appealing. I personally like the car, but it's still a year away. Interior room looks plentiful for 5 adults.

This "steroid wagon" or crossover unit appears to be what consumers said they liked and would buy according to Infiniti. 300+ hp AWD and 20" rims are standard, the car will be priced in the low 40's and compete directly with the next generation Lexus GS 300/400 series. FYI Lexus will roll out the new GS in Nov 2003 as a 2004 model. The GS300+ will be offered with a AWD wagon and 250 hp. No word on the GS430 yet. So wagons that are jacked up a little will be in. Infiniti's FX45 may be just what the DR. ordered.
  • infin1infin1 Member Posts: 16
    i will b posting messages soon on the FX45
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    here's some new information: 2003 Infiniti FX45. Be sure to check out all the new photos on page 3. And let us know what you think. Thanks for your comments.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • wrxfreakwrxfreak Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know what the MSRP for the Infinti FX45 will be?
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    Some whispers I've heard are starting at $45K, but no info on any kind of option packages or features. We probably won't hear anything more until Late Fall since debut is expected Jan 03.
    I recently read at Freshalloy.com that the FX45 may come out with two engine options. The V8 currently in the concept model with 300+ hp and a smaller V6 version with 270hp.

The V6 would probably go for about $5-7K less in MSRP. At least I hope so....
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The focus group I attended one year ago had the FX45 along with an RX 300, ML 320 and X5 3.0. The sign in front of the FX45 (it actually had no name) said to imagine the vehicle had a 3.5 V6 for comparison purposes with the other vehicles in the room.
    So it seems the V6 option might be true in the FX45. What amazes me is that they are saying both engines would be available at the same time.

This would make a tough choice if gas mileage and pricing were close between the two.
    Nice article on the new FX45 in Autoweek.com with a couple of pics.

http://autoweek.com/

Check out their "Car News" link for the article, they seem to like what they see.

• totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    I caught a quick glimpse of an orange one in front of the Moscone Center in San Francisco. I think they were doing a shoot.
    It very well could have been a photo shoot as www.infiniti.com has now updated their future vehicles section with the latest on the FX45.

Looks really impressive with 300+ hp, V8, Intelligent key memory, 20" wheels, AWD, DVD & navi.

Coming 1/6/03.
  • a6wagona6wagon Member Posts: 19
    I am a current BMW X5 4.4i owner waiting with baited breath on the FX45. I thought the Volvo would do the trick, but after driving one of the best V8s on the planet for more than two years, I only want to go up in horsepower. To go up with BMW means a whole lot of dough. Infiniti is offering a wonderful alternative which should be awesome!! Check out these pics too!

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5438&sid=178&n=156

• mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    The car will be hot.

There will be more than one engine choice.

20" Factory Wheels will be available and possibly standard.

The car will like other Infiniti's offer more features, more performance, and a better price than anything remotely competitive
  • steelrattsteelratt Member Posts: 4
    Saw an fx45 in Oakland. Thought it was the Cayenne at first, then I saw the Infiniti logo on the back. It was being rigged with some sort of camera mount on the front. It had aboslutely HUGE wheels (20 inch at least) and looked great. Truth be told, I had never seriously considered this car, but seeing it in person has changed my opinion of it. It really is a powerful, sleek looking vehicle.
    Still haven't seen any interior pics, only the brick colored leather from the concept car. Don't think that would be the standard in the production model.
    Fresh Alloy boards have the latest info on the FX45 from Infiniti.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=FX45

I don't think anything is official yet maybe that's why Edmunds hasn't updated info in the future vehicles section. So far things look interesting for the FX45.

• sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    WOW...with all the traffic on this topic it seems as though the FX will be a flop...what do you guys think?? Just look at the threads of the Murano/RX330/XC90 heck even the 3 year old MDX - they get a LOT more traffic!! I wonder if infiniti/nissan monitiors these threads to see what's the buzz?? I don't mean to hate...I like the vehicle on paper...but IMO the looks aren't the greatest, plus the resale on infiniti kind of scares me off. Just curious but how hard do you think it would be to get one for invoice on January 6th?? :)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I'd say the only way you'll ever buy it at invoice on Jan. 6th is IF it's a total flop. Typically at introduction vehicles are sold at MSRP or very close to it, until the supply catches up with demand. Early adopters usually pay more in order to be one of the first ones to drive a new model. I agree that the looks of the FX45 aren't its strong suit, at least for the more traditional buyer. It'll be a niche vehicle, much like my current car (Audi allroad) which I appreciate 'cause you don't see many others on the road.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I agree that the forum traffic seems low for a vehicle that is a month from introduction. Perhaps it is due to the incredible number of new competitors: Aviator, XC90, RX330, Murano, SRX, 4Runner, GX470, and Pacifica come to mind. Is there enough business out there for all of these guys? Overhanging all of this is the cult favorite, the MDX, which is going to get a major boost in production. From a styling standpoint, the FX45 certainly stands out, but does the market want far-out styling?
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I was originally interested in this vehicle until I got a closer look. WAY too radical for me. I ended up getting a leftover '02 allroad at dealer cost. Great car, handsomely styled and well appointed.
  • ryandarvishryandarvish Member Posts: 4
    ALRITE I JUST TALKED TO MY INFINITI INSIDER AND THE FX35 IS SUPPOSED TO START AT 37,000 AND FULLY LOADED AT 44,500 WITH SPORT, PREMIUM AND TECH THEY WILL ARRIVE MID JANUARY
    THE FX35 WILL AVILABLE MID JANUARY FOR A BASE PRICE OF 37,000 AND A FULLY LOADED TESTESTED PRICE OF ABOUT 44,500 IT HAS 280 HP AND 270 LB FT OF TORQUE THE FX45 WILL START AT 47,000 AND RUN TO 53,000 WITH 310 HP
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Are you considering buying the Infiniti FX45, the Volvo XC90 or Lexus RX 330? A tv producer is looking for folks who are likely to buy one of these vehicles in the future. If you fit the bill, and would be willing to share part of your experience with the media, please send your daytime contact information and vehicle shopping list to jfallon@edmunds.com by January 15, 2003

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    Does anybody know if the FX35 will come with a CVT like the Murano?
  • pasdeclefpasdeclef Member Posts: 4
    Saw the FX45 on a turntable at the DC auto show several days ago. No salespeople around, and no sticker or pricing info outside the turntable. Person handing out Infiniti brochures didn't want to meet my eyes, but when it was unavoidable, she said she thought the price would be in the mid-40's.

FX45 reminded me of the Murano I saw several minutes earlier at the show---large tires, hybrid SUV/station wagon/sporty, but the FX45 doesn't have the smiley face in front that the Murano has, and from the front, the FX45 reminds me somehow of 1930's cars. You know, the ones in gangster movies. But in a neat way. I was impressed, but of course didn't get to sit in it.

BTW, the Audi TT was also on a turntable. What's the deal there?? It's been out since '99. And now they have only 2 models instead of 4, and you can't get an automatic with a quattro. And the A4, although sleek, has a ragtop, not a hardtop. No way.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    I was at the Auto Show in DC Friday. I saw the FX45 and asked the girl the same question. She said she thought it would start in the high 40's. It sounded pretty much like the option list would be short like the M45 - only a few expensive features like distance CC and voice recognition would be extra. I couldn't get a good look at the interior, but it's much more expensively finished than the Murano. Great wheels and tires - other than Porsche's Cayenne it'll probably be the fastest SUV around (if that's what one would call it). I asked about a FX35, and she said it was "months" away. I didn't have a lot of confidence in the girl's info, to tell the truth.

As for the TT on the turntable, Audi could have been "featuring" it in their display, or just decided not to screw up another car. Some dealers limit the cost of the show by locking the cars (or using a turntable) to keep the cars from being worn out. 5 days at the show can get a car enough abuse to change it's status from "new". That's especially true of sports and expensive luxury cars, which gather lots of attention. I remember when Ferrari *used* to be at the show they would place TWO velvet ropes 10 feet away from the car in an attempt to keep scratches off the car.

DB
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    canadiandriver.com has posted some more information about FX45 and FX35 in their autonews section. FX45 is going to have 315 horsepower only. This is disappointing. I think Nissan missed a golden opportunity here. They should have made FX45 their flagship from now on. The Q45/M45 twin are hopeless against their German and Lexus rivalries. Nissan should have made the engine in FX45 more powerful than Q45. Another possibility is that Infiniti overstated the Q45 horsepower(340) in the first place.
    I was at the LA auto show and i recieved some literature on teh FX45/35
    as for horse power the it is 280 w/ 270lb ft for the v6 and 315 w/ 329 lb ft for the v8 it has intelligent cruise control the smart key video entertainment system and everything u could imagine the pictures on fresh alloy are accurate and the car does look like that sorry it dosent have side mirror turn signals
    also the grubbs infiniti site has everything teh literature has the car has bi xenon lights standard
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    from Edmunds' Coverage of the 2003 LA Auto Show: 2003 Infiniti FX45/FX35.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    Could someone tell me why the FX45/FX35 is considered a "wagon" when the Chrysler Pacifica, Subaru Legacy/Outback, Subaru Forester, BMW X5, Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, Audi Allroad, Nissan Murano, Acura MDX,... are all listed under the SUV section?
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    It's built on the FM (G35, upcoming GT-R) platform and has wieght distribution of 54:46 on FX45.

Dimensions:

- wheelbase: 112.2-inch

- front track 62.7-inches; width between the two front tires

- rear track 64.6-inches; width between the two rear tires

- overall width: 75.8 inches

- height: 65.0 inches

- head room (front/rear) 40.8 / 39.5 (w/o sunroof) 39.6 / 39.3 (w/ sunroof)

- leg room (front/rear) 43.9 / 35.2

- hip room (front/rear) 54.3 / 55.0

- Shoulder room (front/rear) 56.9 / 57.4

- Cargo dimensions (L x W x H) seat up 28.5 / 42.0 - 55.7 / 29.2

- interior passenger volume: 105.1 cu.ft

- cargo volume: seats up 27.4 / seats down 64.5

Photos:

http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2003/fx45.shtml

Pricing:

FX45 Base MSRP $44,225

FX35 Base MSRP $35,700

FX45 Premium Package $2,100

FX45 Technology Package $7,600

FX35 Premium Package $2,600

FX35 Sport Package $3,900

FX35 Technology Package $9,400

FX45:

- 315 HP AWD (ATTESA ET-S all-wheel drive system; same one as the Skyline GT-R)

- 329 lb-ft of torque

- standard 20" wheels

- 15/19 (City/Highway)

- 0-60 6.3 secs. (from C&D)

- .87g (from C&D)

FX35:

- 280 HP RWD or AWD (ATTESA ET-S all-wheel drive system; same one as the Skyline GT-R)

- 270 lb-ft

- standard 18" wheels

- 16/22 (City/Highway) V6 AWD

- 17/23 (City/Highway) V6 RWD

more info: http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2003vehicles/fx45/specs.shtml

• cticctic Member Posts: 291
    They look pretty much the same to me and dimensions are within inches of each other. I read that the Murano was built on the Altima platform and the FX45 on the G35 platform, but are the Altima and G35 platform the same thing?
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    the Altima is a front wheel platform & the G35 is a higher performance rear wheel drive platform.
  • tostos Member Posts: 12
    Check out the height. The Murano is 9" taller than the FX. That's significant.
    Since the Murano and FX45 are both 4 wheel drive it obviously doesn't matter that the Altima is FWD or G35 is RWD. They still could have the same platform since it's apparent the platform is not restrictive to where the power goes.

According to my C&D, the Murano is 66.5 in height and FX45 is 65.0. Still height doesn't matter since you can build whatever height you want on any platform (within restrictions, e.g., Forester and Imprezza on the same platform and CRV, Element and Civic likewise.)

So, are the Altima and G35 built on the same platform?
    FX45 Base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $44,225
    *FX35 Base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $35,700

FX45 Premium Package: $2,100
    · Power sliding tinted glass sunroof with one-touch open/close, tilt feature and sliding sunshade
    · Bose® premium 300-watt, eleven-speaker audio system. Three dash-mounted 3.15-inch TwiddlerTM mid- and high-frequency drivers; four 6.5-inch door speakers; two 3.15-inch Twiddler mid- and high-frequency drivers in D-pillars; dual 5.25-inch Nd® woofers in a dedicated, tuned enclosure under cargo floor are included with Bose system; complements standard AM/FM with Radio Data System (RDS), cassette player and in-dash, single-slot 6-disc CD autochanger
    · HomeLink® Universal Transceiver
    · Auto on/off headlights
    · Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
    · Cargo Net

FX35 Premium Package: $2,600
    · Includes all FX45 Premium Package equipment plus:
    · Leather-appointed interior
    · Power-adjustable lumbar support for driver's seat
    · Power tilt and telescopic steering wheel
    · Memory system for driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
    · Heated front seats
    · Heated outside mirrors

FX35 Sport Package: $3,900
    · Includes all FX35 Premium Package equipment plus:
    · 8-spoke, 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 265/50R20 V-rated all-season tires
    · Sport-tuned suspension
    · Drilled aluminum pedals with rubber grips

FX45 Technology Package: $7,600
    FX35 Technology Package: $9,400
    · Includes all Premium Package equipment on FX45; all Premium Package and Sport Package equipment on FX35, plus:
    · Enhanced Vehicle Information System with 7-inch color LCD screen; adds fuel-economy calculator
    · Infiniti Navigation System1 with DVD database and BirdviewTM
    · Intelligent Key keyless entry, security and starting system. Keyfob transponder allows door unlocking and engine starting without using a keyfob or key; keyfob must simply be in proximity of vehicle (pocket, purse, etc.) for unlocking, or inside vehicle for engine starting
    · Intelligent Cruise Control2 uses computerized laser sensors to detect vehicles ahead while automatically maintaining the preset following distance
    · Brake Assist with Preview3
    · Infiniti DVD Mobile Entertainment System with ceiling-mounted, flip-down 7.0-inch color screen, console-mounted DVD player with wireless remote and two pairs of wireless headphones
    · RearView Monitor4 displays area behind vehicle, in real time, when vehicle is reversing via the dash-mounted color Vehicle Information System's screen
    · Onboard Tire Pressure Monitor

Individual Options (FX35 and FX45):
    · Roof rails
    · Roof-rail crossbars
    · Cargo-area protector
    · Satellite radio capability, with choice of Sirius or XM® service providers5
    · Sunroof wind deflector
    · Splash guards, set of four (black)
    · Tow hitch6
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    You missed the point...not that the 2 platforms are different in height or that the 2 platforms are all-wheel drive... they are 2 different platforms in many ways & the RWD & FWD are just characteristic of these 2 DIFFERENT platforms.
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    It is so firm, the FX45 is not good for daily commute on rough roads, if you believe Road and Track(Feb. 03). This is exactly the same problem with X5 equipped with the sport package option. The trouble is, unlike X5, you have no choice with FX45. The firm suspension is not an option.

The major difference between Altima and G35, according to my understanding, is the position of the engine relative to the front axle. The mid line of the engine in G35 is slightly behind the front axle, while the Altima engine's midline, like most other sedans, is slightly in front of the axle. The difference can be easily seen if you compare the front over-hang of G35 with that of Altima. The G35/FX45 platform is supposed to have a better weight distribution with the placement of the engine. But the weight distribution of FX45 is 54/46, which is still a little head heavy. But does that surprise anyone, with FX45's long hood?
    I was just responding to your misconceptions.

You seem to think that RWD or FWD is a characteristic of a platform. It is not. The G35 is RWD, the FX45 is AWD, they share the same platform.

The Altima is FWD and the Murano is AWD, they too share the same platform. So you see, FWD or AWD is not the characteristic of a platform. It is the characteristic of a model. The Murano can both be 2 wheel drive and AWD, they definitely share the same platform.

The other person seemed to think that because there is a 9 inch difference in height (which there is not), the platforms are different. That is also incorrect, as I pointed out the CRV (a SUV) and the Civic (a compact) both share the same platforms. You could build a double decker on the Altima platform if you wanted to, if you did, they would share the same platforms.

As I pointed out in my first post, the G35 and FX45 share the same platform, the Altima and Murano share the same platform. Because the dimensions were so similar, I was wondering if in fact the Altima and G35 the share same platform. And it doesn't matter if one is FWD and the other RWD, because it has already been proven that you could make it AWD if you wanted to - Nissan just did that, by putting the Murano on the Altima and the FX45 on the G35.
    What about the positions of the engine of the FX45 vs the G35? Are they the same?

After reading the 2 articles in C&D what I really wanted to know is if the Murano and the FX45 are the same cars underneath, as were the Pathfinder and QX4. Because the Murano is a much better deal, if you don't care about the name. And the FX45 offers a V8 which the Murano doesn't. The con side is that it has a much harsher ride.
  • edhrybedhryb Member Posts: 7
    I got to test drive the fx35 as part of a focus group against SUVs from Acura, BMW, Merceded and Lexus. Great pick up, even in the 35. Got plenty of stares on the road. I had a few complaints. 1) visibility out of side windows is poor. 2) competing against those suvs, back seat was fairly cramped. 3) i'm not sure what the market is. Many alternatives at that price. Not very practical for families. Muscle car ride appeals more to younger drivers, but how many yong drivers can afford a $45k car? More of a 2nd, fun to drive car for well-off familites.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    How did the noise level compare to the other cars?
  • kwyoonkwyoon Member Posts: 25
    edhryb how did you get to be a part of the focus group?
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    ctic is right. They are two completely different platforms. The much stiffer and better balanced FM platform allows the FX35 to have a 54/46 weight bias while the Murano's weight bias is much more toward the front.

FX can send 100% of the torque to the rear wheels and but can have up to a 50/50 split. The Murano I believe is the opposite in this regard.

So you see, the FX35/45 is the more sporty of the two w/ a more expensive platform, along w/ the addtional luxury touches that the Infiniti label requires.