Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• psu1983psu1983 Member Posts: 24
    Just traded in my 2000 Lexus LX470 for an FX35 w/ Tech(actually cut the deal 2 weeks ago, but just picked up yesterday)...Some preliminary observations:

*The performance of this car is outstanding...handles like a dream, and the acceleration is great. Yes, I'm coming out of a "slow" LX470, but prior to it, I had a Lexus GS430 (0-60 in 5.9 seconds).

*I do not find the ride overly harsh, at all. It actually rides much smoother and quieter, than I had anticipated.

*Although the Tech Package is a steep option, in my opinion, it's well worth it. Aside from Nav & DVD, the rear camera and the intelligent key are great features. The Bose Stereo is super...just a slight notch below the Levinson I had in my GS430.

*Interior trim is very high quality. Seats and driving position are very comfortable.

*The Diamond Graphite color looks phenomenal, both in daylight and nightime. I was also considering briliant silver, but am very happy I went with DG.

*This car has an amazing "Gawk" feature, just as the adds claim. For my 1st 2 days driving it, I could not believe how many people just stared this car down, intensely. I just came back from running to the grocery store and there was a young adult, literally, twisting out of his passenger seat @ a red light to check out the car.

Needless to say, 2 days in, I'm thrilled with my purchase. I had also considered a GX470, Aviator, Volvo XC90 and even a Cayenne, but am convinced more than ever I made the right choice.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Congratulations on your purchase, and glad you are liking it so far. I was a little surprised at your favorable comments on the ride quality, considering you are coming from the LX470 which in comparison has a very "cushy" ride. As you may have read in other posts above, I found the ride to be very harsh until I checked the big 20 inch tires and found them to be overinflated - once lowered to the recommended 32 psi the ride improved considerably.

I did not get the Tech Package on my FX45 but I have to admit that the backup camera would be nice to have, due to the somewhat restricted view out the back when backing up. I am taking extra care however, using the side mirrors more than ususal in addition to the rear window, which is partially obstructed by the rear seat headrests. I am taking great pains to not hit anything, as I want to keep the beautiful body and my black paint free of blemishes for as long as humanly possible! In just 5 weeks I've already waxed it three times!

Did you get the brick interior?
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Great color choice! I'm working to find the best deal on a DG FX myself. Did you get the Willow/Black or the Brick interior? Lease or Buy?
    Let us know the price range or payment if a lease. It helps everyone on this board in the future. Thanks and ENJOY!
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    39 and 48 months were quoted I left the paper at the office, will let you know Monday
    No doubt, my LX470 ride was "cushy" and certainly absorbed imperfections in the road better, but there was a trade off for this in the area of performance. My tire pressure is a tad high @34 psi, so I will be curious to see if I feel a difference down to 32. You are right about the rear window visibility...it does take getting used to. Regarding interior color, I got the Graphite.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Thanks for the comments. I went with the graphite interior. I purchased the vehicle. Regarding the deal I got, I had the trade of the LX470, in which I got Kelley Blue Book trade-in number of $28,300 and then got the FX which was stickered @ $46,365 for $43,300. I think this was a fair deal.
  • psb1013psb1013 Member Posts: 92
    Also the BIG difference between the FX and Cayenne is that the Cayenne has serious off road potential due to its chassis and suspension lay-out. The FX, with its sports-car tires and sports suspension, can't go on anything more than light gravel without some serious hardware damage. (I cringe anytime I see something bigger than a pebble on the road with my FX).
  • muddogmuddog Member Posts: 26
    We bought an FX35 Premium Package two weeks ago. Wife drives it (replaces Audi A6 Avant wagon that served us well for 3.5 years).

So far, we're very satisfied. Kids are gone, so the smaller amount of space is not a concern, and there's plenty of "stuff" room with the seats down, and it's very easy to get them down. Wife likes being a bit higher up in the seat than she was with the wagon. If our situation included younger kids, we'd have bought the MDX, as a more "traditional" SUV. Much preferred that to the RX330, for a "family" SUV, but it is a bit more expensive.

We did compare the FX to the RX330, which is a fine car. But so very different, when you get down to it. You want a cushier ride and front wheel drive handling, with okay acceleration, better all around visibility, more interior room, get the RX330. You want something sportier, with sports car handling and throaty engine sound, and curb appeal (it DOES catch folks' eye), and plenty of room for a family of 2-4, then try the FX. Although I like bigger engines, the 20" wheels with the FX45 would have roughened the ride more than my wife would enjoy. If you regularly carried more than 4 people in the car, the FX would get old. Works just fine for 4, unless you're on a cross-country trip with tons of luggage.

With so much complaining, the Tech Package will undoubtedly be unbundled at some point to at least allow the NAV to be purchased separately. $9k seemed to us a pretty steep price for that package.

Bottom line -- as with all car purchases, the subjective element will steer folks to one or another. That not many FX's will be on the road (based on Infiniti's stated production target), compared with the ubiquitous RX330, was an attractive thing for my wife. She hated the brick interior (more for guys?), so we got silver over willow. Very good fit for her. Black on black would have been my choice (not sure, though, you can get black interior with black exterior -- may require brick, which would have been okay).

Gunn Infiniti in SA is a "one simple price" dealer, so there's not any real haggling. They priced it at about $600 under sticker.

Good luck!
    I agree with the off road capability comment, myself I only need the ability to get to work in all weather without worrying about it.

I also prefer the seating position for the same reason.

Congrats Muddog and good luck with it.
  • muddogmuddog Member Posts: 26
    We bought an FX35 Premium Package two weeks ago. Wife drives it (replaces Audi A6 Avant wagon that served us well for 3.5 years).

So far, we're very satisfied. Kids are gone, so the smaller amount of space is not a concern, and there's plenty of "stuff" room with the seats down, and it's very easy to get them down. Wife likes being a bit higher up in the seat than she was with the wagon. If our situation included younger kids, we'd have bought the MDX, as a more "traditional" SUV. Much preferred that to the RX330, for a "family" SUV, but it is a bit more expensive.

We did compare the FX to the RX330, which is a fine car. But so very different, when you get down to it. You want a cushier ride and front wheel drive handling, with okay acceleration, better all around visibility, more interior room, get the RX330. You want something sportier, with sports car handling and throaty engine sound, and curb appeal (it DOES catch folks' eye), and plenty of room for a family of 2-4, then try the FX. Although I like bigger engines, the 20" wheels with the FX45 would have roughened the ride more than my wife would enjoy. If you regularly carried more than 4 people in the car, the FX would get old. Works just fine for 4, unless you're on a cross-country trip with tons of luggage.

With so much complaining, the Tech Package will undoubtedly be unbundled at some point to at least allow the NAV to be purchased separately. $9k seemed to us a pretty steep price for that package.

Bottom line -- as with all car purchases, the subjective element will steer folks to one or another. That not many FX's will be on the road (based on Infiniti's stated production target), compared with the ubiquitous RX330, was an attractive thing for my wife. She hated the brick interior (more for guys?), so we got silver over willow. Very good fit for her. Black on black would have been my choice (not sure, though, you can get black interior with black exterior -- may require brick, which would have been okay).

Gunn Infiniti in SA is a "one simple price" dealer, so there's not any real haggling. They priced it at about $600 under sticker.

Good luck!
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Over the period of about two weeks, I drove about 4 different vehicles with different options to decide which one I wanted to buy. They had a black/brick tech 35 coming in so I waited to drive it--twice. Vincel Infinity started out at $700 over invoice. When it came time to buy, I made an offer of $450 over and it was accepted. I wrote a check and came back 2 hours later(they wanted to wash it, ect.)and it was ready. They handed me the title, put on the temp tag and that was it. No going from dept. to dept.or the extended warranty pitch. The whole process took less than 30 minutes. Better yet, no document fees and all that garbage. One of the best experiences I have had buying a new car. List $46145-price$42200.
    1. Adjustable or pneumatic suspension (TOP priority)
    2. Separate option packages instead of just Tech or Premium
    3. Voice-activated NAV like in Honda/Acura
    4. Front parking sensor
    5. 340+ HP for the V-8 (more is always better)
    6. 6-speed automatic or a "sport" mode
    7. Bigger glove box
    8. Chrome wheel option
    9. Standard cargo cover
    10. Bigger rear passenger space (would require major body change so unlikely to happen)
    11. Bigger cargo space (would require major body change so unlikely to happen)
    12. Quieter sun roof--too much wind buffeting
    13. Body side moldings--to prevent dings
    14. Drive-by-wire throttle control
    15. Luminescent gauges--current orange ones look ugly
    16. "Aero" package for the FX45: currently looks identical to FX35 except for ID badge.
    17. Power rear hatch
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    You probably won't see the FX with more HP than the Q45, just because it wouldn't be good for the flagship's image to be an also-ran in the power department.

On the other hand, I still think Infiniti is missing the boat by not making the FX their leading "image" model. It's one of the coolest and most unique-looking vehicles on the road.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Because my 15000 mi. G35 for which this model is based, is prematurely wearing out brake pads to the tune of 300 unwarrantied dollars (for fronts only). The car is one year old and I was shocked when they were replaced this morning. You say it's because of the way we drive it? Well, why is it that the same service manager told us that car's tires are wearing exceeding well reflecting the look of MUCH less mileage? Others on the G35 (Service) board are reporting the same premature wear problems. This has occurred on I35s and J35s.

Watch for this problem is all I'm saying!
    My previous 2001 X5 needed NEW rotors and brake pads after only 20K miles! I guess it's just another way of automakers out to make extra $$$. (In general, cars today are just not as well put together as compared to cars from 20 years ago---i.e. too much plastic, weak welds, cheap imported parts, etc).
    Today, just because a car is "imported" doesn't really mean anything anymore. Many Japanese cars now are put together with parts made from other countries such as Mexico, Hong Kong, Korea, and even the US. Some Fords are even more "Japanese" than some "native" Japanese models!
    Just because it's not unique to change brake pads at relatively low miles doesn't mean it's acceptable. Moreover in a car purported to be a "luxury" car it should be covered. Was it covered on your BMW? (Well you still got 5000 more mi. than I did out of it.)
    That's one thing I will miss about our Audi's - EVERYTHING is covered up to 4 years/50,000 miles. Although I didn't have any unusual problems with the brakes, many other owners have had to prematurely replace rotors and pads, some several times during the warranty. Still a pain, but at least they are covered (BMW's are the same in this respect, I believe). Wipers, light bulbs - everthing except tires are covered. Hopefully the FX will be very reliable and I won't end up missing this TOO much (just the free oil changes).
    I hope you won't get the $300 "hit" on replacing brake pads every 1100-1500 mi. Just beware!

Oil changes comparatively are a "drop in the bucket".
    Local dealer here is quoting what I feel is a high lease payment on a full-boat FX 45 (DG with Tech).
    $777 plus tax or about $840 a month total with driveaway of $2500.
    Sounds high compared to a FX35 with Tech. It's only 6-7k difference in Price so it should not be $200 more a month.
    Anyone with some #s? Thanks,
    "Frustrated in San Diego"
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Go over to the "Lease Questions: Ask Here" thread, and ask CarMan about your deal. He can work out payments if you give him the MSRP, negotiated price, lease term (months), and yearly mileage.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    Read your post on the LX470. I own both a LX470 and the FX45 . Agree with you about how SLOW the LX is and have posted on the Lexus site about this (MORE horses in both SUV's would be a major PLUS). But you have to admit these SUV's are on both ends of the spectrum. Though , I love my FX with it's Tech, Bose, 20" rims, etc., it is not what I would drive up to the snowy mountains for a family ski trip.
    My LX on the other hand has the third row seats ( if needed in a bind for extra kids ) or I can fold them up and have a good amount of cargo room . It is smoother on the freeway ( switch for suspension setting) and it can raise and lower ( switch for height adjustment ). None of these are available on my FX. The FX on the other hand appeals to my sporty nature. It is faster, handles way better, and more of a guy's car . My wife drives the LX and loves the quality and solidness . Both SUV's are great and I feel they are best in their perspective classes but they are also worlds apart and have different appeals to prospective SUV buyers.

P.S.: Has anyone found a company yet , that makes a Front End Mask ( Bra ) for the FX45?
    .....an "all-pupose" SUV. Heck, it's really not even a SUV. It's just a tall sports-wagon competing really with vehicles like the Audi All-Road, Audi S4/S6 Avant, BMW 540i wagon, and the Volvo Cross-country. People buying into the FX thinking that it'll replace their old Lexus or Land Rover or Explorer are in for the biggest shock. And it's not for the introverted either.
    Being that this is the first model year for the FX, I'm sure that Infiniti will get all the bugs and kinks out by the 2nd and 3rd model years. (Won't do any good for us early adopters, though). Anyways, I'm sure it can't possibly be worse than my last BMW X5 which had 3 recalls, bad rotors/brakes, blown bulbs, bad transmission, 2 blown tires, vibrating steering column, failing power windows and other electrical problems at 20K miles.
    Agree with you on all points...the LX470 and FX are clearly on different sides of the spectrum. I was looking for something on the sportier side of spectrum, with high performance, recognizing I was sacrificing space and a smoother ride. In their respective classes, they're each at the head of the class IMHO. My other vehicle is a 2002 Suburban Z71, so we really don't need 2 full-size SUV's (and I had no luck convincing my wife to keep the Lexus instead due to the extra space and room w/ the Suburban).
    Just my opinion, but I don't consider the cars you listed as the direct competitors to the FX, essentially because I don't look @ the FX as a wagon. To me, it's a true crossover with heavy lean towards the sport side of spectrum, with primary competition the X5, Volvo XC90, Acura MDX and the Cayenne.
    It's almost all Sports and very little utility.
    At least with the FX 45, with all-wheel drive to 13 mph, the purpose is to put all the power down to all four wheels for maximum acceleration.
    Anything else you can do with it is strictly a bonus.
    Bionic Cheetah maybe, X5 Eater for sure.
    I'm buying one because it handles and goes like a G35 but it doesn't look like everyboy's car OR SUV. The only people that I want to think it's an SUV are the Highway Patrol.
    It's really the wolf in sheep's clothing.
    SUV Buyers need not apply.
    They belong in the right lane.
    Hey, no pimpmobile chrome wheels!
    This is not mobile jewelry!
    The FX has function. It's not a chromed appliance, or a rolling coffin for the elderly.
    Stick with a Buick Rondevous, and stay in the right lane please!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    You're getting a G35 with all-season capability, more utility and a nicer interior. And compared to the sedan, much more aggressive styling!
    This is the first "SUV" that has caught my eye and is on my list to (eventually) replace my current ride (wonderful Chrysler 300M. No, really. It's a great ride!)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I am sure a G35 in capable hands will have no problem showing tail lights to an FX in the twisty bits. The FX may have more sport than a Ford Explorer but it ain't no sports sedan.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I see you are coming over to the darkside huh
    :-) You will not be disappointed by the fx. After driving the FX for a while you will completely forget about the 300. I do think the 300 is a better highway cruiser to the tech package FX just because it soaks up bumps so well while still being able to handle competently but the fx is a definately a "step up". after driving used jags, new bmw 5 series, lexus es300/rx330 the fx was the first car I felt justified the price difference over the 300. The jag was nice but too low to the ground. The bmw 525 and 530 were rather pokey and offered way less room. The lexi were just spiritually dead (probably the only car I would fall asleep driving). The FX however was just right and I have just completed the best 2000 mi in any car I have owned. I am thinking about keeping my 300 and modding it out but I think the wifey wants an armada this fall and she usually gets her way :)
    "I am sure a G35 in capable hands will have no problem showing tail lights to an FX in the twisty bits. The FX may have more sport than a Ford Explorer but it ain't no sports sedan."

Maybe, but according to Car & Driver tests, the FX45 actually pulled a higher skidpad number than even the G35 Coupe (.87 to .86). I didn't see the number for the G35 Sedan, which would be a fairer comparison, but from what I've read the Sedan's balance is not a good as the Coupe.
    I think the V-8 makes up for the 600lb weight difference between the G and the FX45. The FX35 probably handles better than the 45.
    The G35 Sedan pulls about .86. But it is "undertired". I'd like to see the G35 Sedan's #s with 18 x 8 forged wheels (not chromed) and 245/40/18 S0-3 Pole Positions. Bet an .88.
    Right now, the FX has the tires, and they compensate for losing the unequal length A-arms from the G for the current struts, which were changed to accomodate the V-8. Same rear as the G though.
    Hey, I bet some enterprising dude could take a G35 Sedan or Coupe, install the FX front suspension, and install the Q V-8!
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    a quite distinctive looking vehicle. Interestingly, I haven't seen much of a marketing blitz, at least not in the Mid-Atlantic, for this vehicle. My advice to Nissan/Infinity, not that they would care, would be to emphasize the "sport" vice the utility and tout the FX as more of an alternative to a "sport sedan" vice a SUV.
  • c3po33c3po33 Member Posts: 67
    On Sunday I received my wife's 2003 FX35 Brilliant Silver Graphite/Brick with Technology package from Grubbs Infiniti here in South Florida. It was a great buying experience from Danny all around. The truck driver was very nice and dropped off my car a mile from my house at the local Wal*Mart.
    Congrats on the FX. You should love it. I know you will since you already have a G sedan. Have fun!!!!
    Hehe you could put an end to this debate of FX vs G. take em to a trak and tell us who wins! Once the FX is broken in of course :)
    Comparing the FX to the G35 is really a moot point--like apples and oranges...two entirely different vehicles in two entirely different markets. It just so happens that the FX has enough performance hardware to go head-to-head with the G35 (or any performance sedan for that matter): handling and acceleration (which is amazing for a so called "SUV").
    A true testament to the FX performance: a few weeks ago, I raced my friend's 2002 BMW 540i Sport with my FX45 on a deserted stretch of road at 1:00AM near my house and was easily able to go toe-to-toe with him right up to 100MPH. He was amazed that a "SUV" could do that and now is just "itchin" to get into a FX himself!
    I have to admit you have a pretty savvy SUV wife. Would have done the same thing . More room then the Lexus and good job on getting the Z71 package.
    I currently own a 540i and an e36 M3. My Fx35 will not do straight line acceleration with the 540, but it will take the turns quicker and easier than the 540i and when the going gets tough in the twisties, the 540i will suck exhaust fumes of the Fx. Neither are a match for the M3. The Fx will run with the best sport sedans around!
    Impressive ! Have a FX45 with 1000 mile now. I knew the S2UV was fast but this is impressive. I am wondering if your friend's 540i was Auto. Trans. or 6 spd. ? This would make a difference ( if memory serves me correct) of 1 to 1.5 clicks .
    So far no problems and people stop and look at my 45 all the time . Common comment is " this looks like a CONCEPT Vehicle" and " I've never seen one before! ". Love the fact that my FX doesn't fit in any category except it's own ! Let the debates continue !
  • albdocalbdoc Member Posts: 23
    I am happy I did not go for it . I am not a speed freak and the looks are for sure just so different that it seems like an anomaly .I test drove one and the ride was much sporty (harsh ) adn is definitely much more quicker .
    I enjoy long drives and love my Lexus RX 330 which has it all . A comfortable and cushy ride, excellent interior, the best Music system in auto industry and Navigation system. That s all I need . The 0-60 is not that of a big deal for me .
    The infinity dealer in my area has a lot of them in the parking lot for last 3 months, whereas you have to wait for 1-2 months to get an RX 330 and they are not even available at times for display.
    My wife loves hers, her only complaint is that its "the taurus of SUV's". Lexus derive 60% of their profit from the RX series.
  • gazelle2gazelle2 Member Posts: 38
    Memories of the A6 continue to fade, and the wheels remain free of brake dust! I've read about some owners who have lowered the tire pressure to 32 psi on their 45s. Can that work on the 35 18 inch tires? One more cosmic thought. When they tell us to "Pay attention to a cup", do they mean any particular cup, or to the plight of cups in general. Or might they have meant, "Pay attention to THE cup you stupidly left in your rear cupholder as you now prepare to drop your seats to make room for four pots of ornamental grasses which will dirty up my pristine interior".
    The FX kills the RX in every performance department: acceleration, passing, handling, braking. The bottom line is: like they say in VW commercials, the FX is for drivers....if you want fun and do not want another me-too vehicle, then the FX is the perfect vehicle. Lexus are for people who want to be mute from the road....except for the GS and IS sedans, they are about as fun to drive as your 'ol daddy's Caddy. And as far as luxury is concerned, the FX has just about everything the RX has: super-comfortable and supportive seats, laser cruise-control, rear camera, nice NAV, and a killer sound system. So the RX has a little more cargo and passenger room and a cushier ride.....who wants to be bored to death while driving? And if you are a guy like me, I would be embarrassed to drive the female-dominated RX.
    My suspicion is that the fact you're even on this board is an indication that you're not quite sure you may the right choice with the RX330, and that's certainly understandable. I've recently converted to the FX after 3 Lexus'(an LX470, a GS430 and another LX470). I'm not dissing the Lexus, because obviousy I'm a fan, but to each his own re: personal preference. If you prefer bold, aggressive styling with outstanding performance and great value, the FX can't be beat. If you're simply after the most comfortable ride you can find, with conservative styling and average performance, the RX fits the bill nicely. Regarding quality and all the electronic fun stuff, it's pretty darn close to a draw (I'll concede that the Levinson system is just a notch better, but's it's closer than you think and I've had both).
    Let's not get into this argument of who is better then whom! It is like compairing a Merc. SL with a Porsche 996. Both have their good and bad parts . I own both makes , FX45 and a LX470, both are the best in their own class .
    Just like the FX35 and the RX330 are . ALBDOC good for you if you like the RX330 but don't disrespect the FX for what ever reason you may have .
  • albdocalbdoc Member Posts: 23
    Here is some info posted on RX 330 discussion boards about sales .

RX 330 8525---23% increase over last May

Competitors:

MDX 5089
    XC90 3792
    X5 2845
    Aviator 2793
    M-Class 2591
    FX 2339
    Cayenne 1388
     I do not mean to disrespect any vehicle . Discussion boards are meant to express your opinions . I just gave my perspective which may not apply to others and some negative opinions will definitely keep the discussion boards honest and less biased, which inturn is very helpful to the novice buyers .
    "And if you are a guy like me, I would be embarrassed to drive the female dominated RX" Amen brother! My sentiments,exactly!