Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Hyundai Tiburon ( GT V6 and Base Styles)

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like you may also have some interesting notes for our ongoing Mini Cooper vs. Hyundai Tiburon vs. Acura RSX discussion. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    From Edmunds' Daily Headlines section, here's an article that you may find interesting: Hyundai Revs Its Engines With A Sporty Tiburon. (This is not a permanent link.) Hope you enjoy.

Revka
    Host
  • cargirljocargirljo Member Posts: 2
    I bought one of the new 2003 Tib's (black)2 weeks ago-a GT V6, automatic (I am not inclined to shift-wven for a 6 speed). Sorry to hear that everyone is having such bad experiences with the Hyundai sales force and pricing. I work for the dealership that I bought mine for-and I bought it for $250 under dealer invoice. Mind you my dealership does not believe in that second sticker BS anyways. But, they gave me an awesome deal on the Tib...then the service manager had my windows tinted for free! I love driving it! Definitely a head turner. I will admit that it is a little bit of a rough ride in the back seat-but I don't sit back there anyways. Also, I would not recommend that anyone over 8 try to ride in the back-unless you are very short. While I am nothing of a stereo expert-I love the sound system! Even though I work for the dealership-I could not find one with a moonroof-so I will be adding a power aftermarket one and changing the wheels and tires-and a dash kit. Hyundai says that they left it bland figuring that this car would attract a younger market who would want to deck out the car anyways. I'm not young by any means-in my early 30's...and even I have been sucked up into the world of aftermarket-go figure! But it is such a good looking car-I can't resist. This is the first time in my life that I have actually bought "special" car wash soap, mitts and tire dressing. I have more pictures of this car than I have of my son. So I am a little obsessed. But, as an owner-I think this car is awesome! Neatest car I have ever purchased-remember I sell cars...I have also bought plenty. And, I also have to say that if you told me that I would ever own a Hyundai-I would tell you that you were nuts....but, who knew? This new generation of Hyundai really is a whole new breed of car...and quality.
  • ipse_dixitipse_dixit Member Posts: 24
    I recently got a chance to drive a 6-speed 2003 Tiburon GT (with the UltraSports 3 package) back-to-back with an RSX Type-S and a WRX, in that order. Although I was generally impressed with the Tiburon, it was, IMHO, far down at the bottom of this bunch.

The Tiburon does have a number of strong points, all of which make for good around-town transportation, but not necessarily a good sports car. The car is exceptionally quiet, especially when compared to the RSX. Although it never has a rush of power, the engine pulls strongly throughout the rev range, making it a more palatable choice for stop-and-go driving. The shifter is precise, with short throws that are not quite notchy but far from rubbery. And the clutch is also very smooth (unlike that of the RSX which, like most all Honda clutches these days, feels to me like I'm trying to balance on a ball bearing to keep things smooth as it catches). Braking on the Tiburon also felt strong, as the numbers posted by others seem to indicate. And most important, the price of the Tiburon is very appealing.

On the downside, the car is very cramped inside--this is definitely a case of form over function, yet, to put it kindly, the interior nonetheless lacks that certain "Zen" of its Japanese competitors. And the engine's quietness, aside from lacking the purely psychological appeal of the RSX and WRX's heavenly turbine whines, made it almost too easy to bump up against the redline without realizing it. There also seems to be a problem with the Tiburon's center of gravity. The seats are plenty supportive and comfortable, but even minor cornering maneuvers will cause you to be tossed around from side-to-side. This car also just doesn't feel as fast as it should for the category of vehicles it's competing with. Capable, yes, but not fast.

Lastly, there's the stereo. I notice that a lot of posts cite this as one of the best things about the car, and I just don't get it. I actually thought there was something wrong with the first stereo I listened to, so switched to another Tiburon to verify my concerns--but they both sounded the same. All I can say is that while Harman is certainly capable of making good speakers (witness the Lexus Mark Levinson systems), they didn't put them into the Tiburon. Part of my bias might be that I grew up listening to Magnepan speakers and Stax headphones, both of which favor the higher frequencies, but there simply was no high-end response on the Tiburon's Infinity system, and it had a distinct lack of clarity in the rest of the range. If it were me, the first thing I'd do with this car is switch out the OEM speakers with some Infinity Kappas. At a minimum, I'd replace the component tweeters.

In the end, I walked away from the Tiburon thinking that Hyundai had done a fine job for the price. But I also walked away from the RSX--and especially the WRX--thinking that they were worth every penny extra. As much as the Tiburon was good, they were better. Only if I absolutely couldn't afford anything more would I actively choose this car over anything but a Celica. Combine that with horrible Hyundai dealership experiences at both ends of the country, and I feel even less inclined to make the Tiburon plunge.
    and thanks for your detailed notes. We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • domingos35domingos35 Member Posts: 7
    have a FOCUS ZX3 going tp trade it in.
    heres the finalists.
    1-TIBURON GT V6
    2-FOCUS SVT
    3-MAZDA P5
    4-CELICA GTS

better bang for the money?
    lets dicuss it
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    First, tell us more about what you need from the car (i.e. cargo space, new/used, overall cost, fun-to-drive factor, gas mileage, etc.)
    I personally would check out the SVT, P5, and GT-S from what you have suggested simply because they are nimble, fun cars. Make sure once you have narrowed it down to what cars you like by appearance, features, and cost that you go out and test drive all of your remaining choices extensively. I would personally add to your list the WRX.
    should i worry about the resale value of the tiburon?i love the tiburon looks .
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Don't worry about it unless you can't see yourself driving it 2 years down the road. If you keep it 4-5 years, the initial lower resale value of Hyundais would even out with everyone else. In my opinion, the P5 is all about looks (which are damn good, wagon body style and all) and versatility (though actual cargo space is low compared to other wagons). The other cars on your list are much more serious performance cars. If you want performance, then you better leave the slow P5 off your list. The Focus SVT is all about handling, so if thats what you like and you are happy getting the same exterior and interior design, there's your choice. The Celica GTS is a fast car if you like revving the hell out of it all the time. Otherwise, it's a gutless car with excellent handling. The Tiburon GT is a great GT type cruiser. It's fast without having to rev it and would be a much more calm civilized ride then the others. It's an all around competent car with great looks. So, if you just want a sporty looking ride with good performance that would be a good highway companion, take the Tiburon. That's my opinion anyway.
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    Drive it before you discount it. If it's good enough for Roger Foo (http://homepage.mac.com/rogerfoo/.Pictures/DSC00010.JPG), then it's good enough for me ;)
  • timitaetimitae Member Posts: 1
    I was in the market to trade my Dodge Dakota for a car. I wanted a 2 door coupe and was in a position where I could pretty much get whatever I wanted. My boyfriend and I had looked at several cars in this class. I already own a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire SE (for my son to drive) and had considered getting another one. After driving around town looking at several vehicles like the Honda Civic, Toyota Celica and the 2003 Tiburon, we happened upon a '97 Tiburon FX. We fell in love with this metalic purple beauty at first sight. It was in excellent condition and had obviously been well taken care of. The next day we went back for a test drive. It handled like a dream and I was surprised by the great visibility in every direction and the design of the cockpit. We didn't even drive the 2003. We loved the look of the '97 FX much better and were sold on all aspects of this car. We are off to pick up our car this evening. I will let you know how we make out with our "new" '97 Tibby.
    and congrats on your 97 Tiburon! Thanks for sharing the details. Btw, here's a direct link to our ongoing Tiburon Owner's discussion where you may also want to participate. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    GT offers great looks, good performance, low price.

Just about everybody would agree that Ferrari makes some of the best looking cars. What if you could drive a car with Ferrari 456GT looks for under $20K? Okay, the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon is not a Ferrari clone but there's' no denying that it has Ferrari 456GT styling cues in its sleek new design. It also has some Ford Mustang, Mercury Cougar and Toyota Celica as well, which is not all bad.

A Hyundai? Yes, the company has been working hard to produce attractive cars with performance and panache, and it looks to have succeeded with the all-new Tiburon.

More important, the quality of Hyundai cars has improved tremendously in the past few years, according to the respected quality gurus at J. D. Power and Associates.

Tiburon means shark in Spanish. This Tiburon may not look like a mean machine but the GT V6 version is surely going to stir the waters as it swims among established fish such as the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Toyota Celica GTS, Ford Mustang, and Honda Civic Si.
    Driving Impressions

Great looks are important but a great driving experience is really more significant. Fortunately the Tiburon GT V6 does really well. Hyundai is convinced that most Tiburon buyers will opt for the GT V6 evasion and most of them will opt for the six-speed manual version. We couldn't agree more. That's why we tested this version with the Sprint package.

The first thing you'll find out about the GT V6 is that it's got a great engine that revs freely to 6000 rpm. Put the (aluminum) gas pedal to the metal and the front wheels scrabble for grip. Not for long though as the 215/45R17 Michelin tires get to work and the car sprints forward. The engine has a pleasant husky sound thanks to the dual exhaust. Shift into second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth and the car's cruising. If you get lazy and forget to downshift as you putter around town, it's no problem as the engine has plenty of torque at low rpm. We found it'll pull reasonably well in sixth gear from 35 mph. It's a very different driving experience from cars like the Celica GTS and Civic Si that thrive on revving over 6000 rpm.

The power rack-and-pinion steering feels fine, it's precise with just enough feedback for fast driving. Inevitably there's torque steer but it's controllable and actually kind of fun when you're driving round town. On the highway it's barely noticeable. Not unexpectedly the car tends to understeer, what with the weight of the aluminum V6 engine mounted transversely between the front wheels.

During a brief test drive among pylons laid out in the infield of Las Vegas Speedway we found the Tiburon easy to throw around. Like all front-drive cars, it tended to understeer, but it was easy to compensate by using the throttle, brakes, and steering wheel.

The four-wheel disc brakes worked well and stopped the car quickly.

Out on the highway the ride is good on smooth roads but the sports suspension and low-profile tires tend to transmit excessive harshness into the cockpit on rough road surfaces. The handling is fine with little body roll. It's nothing exceptional but more than adequate to hold its own against other like cars. It would be pretty easy to tune the suspension still further to get a really good handling car. Tuners are undoubtedly working on it as you read this.

They've got a good basis to work from: MacPherson struts up front on a subframe and a strut-type multi-link suspension in the rear. All models get anti-roll bars and gas-filled shock absorbers all round. The sport tuned suspension on the GT V6 has 10-percent stiffer spring rates, stiffer compression in the gas-charged shocks and thicker anti roll bars front (23mm vs. 20mm) and rear (19mm vs. 18mm).

We didn't get a chance to try the four-cylinder Tiburon model. It should still be a reasonably fun car to drive with a manual transmission as the engine delivers 140 horsepower, which is 23 percent less than the V6.

If you prefer an automatic transmission, go for the GT V6 and you'll not give up much in performance, especially as the automatic includes Shiftronic manual control.

Final Word
    Hyundai has been on a roll for the past couple of years in the US. Its cars are remarkably better than they were a few years ago, both in quality as well as in style. Nobody needs to be embarrassed driving around in a Hyundai anymore.

Indeed, driving a 2003 Tiburon GT V6 will elicit smiles all round. For under 20 grand it is a great car. Spend the cash saved on accessories and one could have a super cool car for less money than a stock version of one of its competitors. Perhaps the Tiburon is a shark after all -- it may well eat some of the other cars it's swimming with.
  • buster34buster34 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new 03 Tiburon and noticed that the car has a serious vibration or rough ride at about 65mph. The is the V6 with AT. Has anyone with this model or others noticed a similar ride witht the 03 Tiburon? I just want to know how hard I should push to have the dealer take a look at this problem. Thanks!
    BUYING THIS CAR IN A MONTH OR SO.
    ANY PROBLEMS ?
    SOLUTIONS?
    WHATS GOOD AND BAD ABOUT THIS CAR?

THANKS
    While you're waiting here for feedback on the GT V6 Tiburon, you may want to check out Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see what kind of information (Recalls, TSBs, Recommended Service Schedules) they have on the 2003 Tiburon. Also, not a bad idea to bookmark that page and check back periodically for updates. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • kaelaviekaelavie Member Posts: 1
    I've only had mine for a week so can't comment on the long haul. I have the auto V6 and have had no problems with vibration at 65mph. Sounds like it should be something the dealer looks at.

As for the good and bad about this car, I'm completely and totally biased. I LOVE it! It's a smooth ride and a beautiful car. I've had the same car for years and I can't tell you just how great it is to watch people check out this car! I haven't found a single problem at this point with the exception of the gas mileage. I'd highly recommend it!
    Kae :)
  • jedisebsjedisebs Member Posts: 8
    Hi everybody! I just bought a 2003 Tiburon. It's Mystic Teal (dark blue) and a V6 with the Ultra Sports Package 3 :) I am so happy with this car. I've gotten nothing but compliments from everybody I know (except one friend who's really jealous). It provides a very smooth ride and I've only had one problem with it so far. The sunroof doesn't open up but I'm taking it in tomorrow. It's everything I hoped it would be. I raced a taurus on the freeway my first night out. He sped by me and gave me a look and then he took off. Then I dropped it to third, took it up to fourth and I was about to go to fifth when I checked my spedometer.... I was doing 105 @ 5000 rpms!!! I was like WHOA and slowed it down but I realized that I had developed a slight chub. I love this car and I wouldn't want anything else. Nobody in my city has one of these. If you see a guy walking around with a grin you couldn't wipe off his face with toilet paper then you know you're looking at me. I can't wait to race a souped up Civic.
  • buster34buster34 Member Posts: 2
    Kae,
    Thanks for the feedback on your new 03 Tiburon. It looks like I may have to make a visit to the dealer because I definitely get a different ride at 65mph and abobve, than when I'm at a lower speed.
    and congrats on your new Tiburons! We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experiences.... Happy motoring!

To buster34- Hope your vibration problem is resolved soon. Just a guess, but it sounds like your tires may need balancing. You shouldn't hesitate to taking it into the dealer, especially since you just bought the vehicle. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Revka
    Host
    My new tib is leaking coolant after I travel on the freeway over 12 miles or so. It doesn't leak enough that the level is going down noticeably and the temp isn't going up past the norm but it worries me anyway. Is anybody having the same problem or had the same problem? I'm taking it in this week for the sunroof anyway and I just want to make sure I don't get worked at the dealer. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • cargirljocargirljo Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, no problems with mine, although I have heard of the moonroof problem-I work for a Hyundai dealership. We have had no problems on the West Coast that I know of. I am still having great times in my new Tib-and I too love the attention it attracts! Mine is black-looks awesome, but I am constantly washing and waxing! And, to make matters worse I can't seem to get my husband out of the driver's seat! He has a Ford Expedition-but he always wants to drive my little rocket ship! Wish me luck on getting his butt out of the driver seat.
    Good Luck! :)
  • r_scott45r_scott45 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my Tiburon GTV6 with 6spd yesterday--already have almost 400 miles on it because it's SO fun to drive! I took a trip over to Santa Cruz today...total time around 5 hours there and back and never once did I leave the seat...as I neared home it occured to me just how comfortable those seats really are. I love the way it drives, the handling, and the ready surge of power available from the 2.7L V6--this thing will ZOOM effortlessly, and climbing mountainous highway while negotiating tight sweeping turns at over 80mph proved only to be EASY in this car! The sound system is outstanding. I have found shifting be something with a bit of a learning curve...the engine reves so freely, the normal "sluggish" foot on the throttle as clutch is depressed will result in a rapid engine speed surge, so it's important to get that foot off the throttle "now" as the clutch is depressed--unless you're REALLY speed shifting. As for shifter operation...at first I felt less than sure about hitting 6th smoothly, but after 400 miles of "practice" I am finding shifting to be very precise. For "low level" driving, this car will accelerate with ease with only 3000rpm shift points, and the huge torque allows it to motor along in higher gears at slow speed yet still "power out" without a downshift. Rearward visibility is minimal...especially with the high-mount wing (which looks TOO cool!), but who cares. I do love those Ferrari style mirrors perched on stalks--even though they impede forward-lateral view more than a bit. I have only one complaint to report...during the test drive the moonroof would only open half-way. The dealer said they would fix this...of course when I bring the car back since I sure wasn't leaving without it! When I got home the moonroof would not open at all--no tilt, no retract. Using the supplied "key" I cranked the roof open just to see if the problem was some kind of binding in the mechanism, but the window lifts and slides back quite easily under manual power. NOW when I press the slide button I hear a "chattering" sound under the roof panel where the drive motor is...as if the drive gear is slipping, misaligned, or damaged in some way. The roof opens easily manually, so the problem is most likely something in the drive mechanism...I'll take it back to the dealer "soon" and have them look at it, but I REALLY hate to get out of the car that long!!! I suppose I will have to chalk the roof up to a "problem" with a Hyundai...and the naysayers will hoot that they "told you so", but this is the third Hyundai I've owned in two years...along with a 2000 E-wagon, and 2001 Santa Fe and neither of those has EVER had ANY problems--period. So far, other than the moonroof, this outrageously gorgeous, sexy, deliciously red GT Shark has DELIVERED to my expectations, and even if the roof NEVER works right I will still think the car is fabulous. By the way, my dealership is Selma Auto Mall in Selma California...which I HIGHLY ENDORSE as being THE place to buy any Hyundai...they NEVER "gouge", and they are about the nicest, friendliest bunch of people I've ever met! I bought all my Hyundais there and everytime I must say the experience was remarkably smooth, well-ordered, absolutely ZERO pressure, since the CARS DO sell themselves...you test drive a Tiburon (or a Santa Fe) and they won't HAVE to pressure you into buying it!!!
    I think this model Tiburon has the potential to one day become a "classic" among sport coupes due to its stunning lines, and as I have SEEN during the last year with the Santa Fe...at first it seemed only "I" had one...now I see them everywhere. I expect the same will happen with the Tib...especially THIS version! All Hyundai needs to do is consider bumping HP/TQ to around 200/200 to give the car nearly unbeatable performance, solve the roof problem (if there is a large scale one), and KEEP this super-stunning body style for at least 5 or 6 years, THEN resale will hold up well as more and more people rush out to buy them! THIS "foundation" is the perfect starting point to form a lineage of superb sports cars...I hope all Tiburon owners will use the power of the pen to let Hyundai KNOW what a serious hit this car is!
    and thanks for sharing your initial impressions. I'm sure others passing through here will appreciate your detailed notes.

Just one small suggestion: if you have a long message, it will be easier for people to read if you break it up into smaller paragraphs. Participants will be more likely to read your entire message if it's easy on the eyes. We look forward to hearing more about your Tiburon experience. Thanks for your participation at Town Hall. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • kratas101kratas101 Member Posts: 33
    How good is the l4 on the Tib? I find the additional standard features for the V6 not worth it as I would be being an automatic transmission, so I wouldn't be getting the 17 inch wheels and the leather-wrapped steering wheel and seats in Texas are suicide! Although I know an l4 isn't like a V6, is it still good for its engine size? Thanks.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    kratas10: I have a 2001 Tib that I use for business. Mostly endless hours of running the Interstates. I have over 70K on the clock (not a typo) and the thing runs better than when new. Mine is a 5 speed (mid-life crises syndrome LOL)so not really a problem for me, tho IF I did a lot of stop and go, heavy traffic, driving it'd be a automatic. I drove both when shopping for my Tib and to tell the truth the automatic does not suck all that much performance from the 2.0 engine. Great gas mileage for the 5 speed too, 32 to 34 consistently running 75 to 85 mph most of the time. The only thing I wish is that top gear was a little taller as the revs @ 80 mph, tho smoothe, are a little high. The automatic cars may have a little better gearing in that respect. I think the 2003's are a little heavier than the 2001 cars so they may be a little slower off the line but should be about the same at crusing. The base 4 cyl cars seem to be in short supply as I've only seen one all year at a dealer. Hyundai expects sales to be 70% V-6 so I guess that's what they are shipping the most of. A base car with A/T is one heck of a lot of car for the money. Nothing in it's class compares in my opinion. I'll most likely be getting a 2003 before year's end. Gonna give the 2001 to my niece, no trade-in. She thinks the thing is "so cool" LOL !!

hud :):)
    I had the same problem with my moonroof and I had it fixed at the dealer. Don't let them tell you that you need a new switch. What you really need is a new moonroof motor. I sat at the dealer for 3 hours while they changed the switch (which didn't fix the problem) and then called in some "certified hyundai technician". He rolled up in about forty five minutes and it took him only five minutes to say that I needed a new motor. He had even brought a spare one because he was pretty sure that that was what the problem was going to be. Apparently he's been doing this type of repair pretty often lately. He left and the problem was fixed soon. Make sure you tell them to check the motor. Otherwise you'll be waiting for a long time.
  • kratas101kratas101 Member Posts: 33
    That was exactly what I needed hudrahead :) I'll mostly be driving around streets since I don't need to go onto freeways and such, and yea, the 03 Tib is heavier than the 01 but I doubt I'll be doing much speeding anyways. The cops are really tough where I live so I have to watch out. Oh and btw, that is insanely good gas mileage lol =)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    month's Import Racing magazine(I might have the name wrong but you get my drift). They test drove an orange-red one in Las Vegas, NV. They were impressed with the car overall. The negative things: they would dump the Infinity stereo 6-speaker CD system and they wonder why Hyundai put the side view mirrors sticking out like they do. I took a look at the photo of the car, and, although they do stick out I like the styling of them. On the stereo I would need to hear it myself to make a judgement like that(I'm thinking that it would be just fine to me). The writers of this review were no doubt pretty young and probably felt like their P Diddy wouldn't sound loud enough whereas my British Foghat or Canadian Tragically Hip would rock quite nicely--though I'm just guessing here! As far as the powertrain(V6 engine ,6 speed that the little sharkracer has)they were impressed. Plenty of low-end torque and plenty of speed and good cornering handling. The torsion bar was mentioned as being helpful up front. Fit and finish was labeled as good and the instrumentation well-laid out and easy to-find. Hyundai gives 3 trim levels with the next step up above base giving you a cool spoiler and chrome gas, clutch and brake pedals. The magazine(I'm going on my feeble memory here--I'm thinking it was called Import Racing magazine)is going to take on a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon as a tuning project over the coming months. That is a good sign as it shows that they liked it enough to put their favorite tuning touches on it. Looks like a very fun little road-racer to me.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• jbmalikjbmalik Member Posts: 10
    Okay, here goes.

I test drove the 2003 tibby the other day. I REALLY wanted to like this car. But I'm not sure if I do, now that I drove it. My overall gripe (and I know not many of you are going to like this) is that I think the car (at MSRP, despite whatever additional bogus surcharge the dealers are asking) is overpriced. Remember when Car and Driver said in the review that they think it's priced about right (i.e. not particularly a bargain?) Well mark my words, I think in a few more months the Tib will be selling at or around dealer invoice (example: Today a local RI dealer offered me a loaded Jet Black Tibby V6 at $19.9K, including delivery (versus $20.5K MSRP). I'm still waiting for them to go down). Ok, now for the test drive. The plusses: buttery smooth clutch, awesome seats, great rear view mirrors and logical, well-read controls and gauges. Back seat room is not as bad as the critics make it sound. Handling good at low speeds. Low road/outside noise. Relatively good quality inside, for the $. The minuses: Handling at high speeds. The critics were right, the nose of the car is too "floaty" at high speeds, and the suspension is more harsh than I would like it over rough payment.... I would probably be nervous driving this car above 75 mph. I think others would concur. I currently drive a 1998 Ford Contour SVT (MSRP new $23.5K; I paid $17.5K for it (used) in 1999). The Contour SVT handles like it is on rails. I am not saying I would take my car over a Tiburon GTV6, but in terms of performance it is better. Howevr the clutch and shifting action in the Tiburon is much better than any Ford, including my Contour SVT.

If I was in the market for this car (the Tiburon), I would (and will) SERIOUSLY consider the Ford Focus SVT. It is getting great reviews and at list price (again, at *MSRP*) is about $1200K less than the Tiburon. I have owned two 'specialty' Fords in my day, a 1994 Ford Taurus SHO and a 1998 Ford Contour SVT. The SHO gave me some trouble after 70K miles, the Contour is at 77K and I have had very little trouble with it. I also would seriously consider an Acura RSX-S, the list MSRP is only about $2500 more than the Tibby. A few used 2002 RSX-S are popping up at around $21K, they have about 3K miles on them.

The bottom line (my opinion) is this: Buy the Tiburon if you can get it at (the maximum) a few hundred above dealer invoice. I believe the dealer invoice for a loaded GT-V6 with 6-speed is $18,700...The car is a bargain at $19K and some change, no more. Anxious Tibby buyers, hang in there and wait, the price will come down soon enough....
  • crew03crew03 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to change the fog lights? Please tell me how if you do!
  • u4eahh779u4eahh779 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my silver '03 Tiburon GT V.6 Auto. last Thursday and was having the time of my life for about 35 miles... and then the sunroof wouldn't open. The dealer had to replace the motor, give my a free tank of gas, a coupon for a free oil change, and four football tickets before I was once again satisfied.

This car is definitely hot... I am all about the stares and pointing. It is a pretty fast car, too, but I was wondering about performance parts and custom accessories. If anyone has info please write back.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Motorweek reviewed the new Tib and it was all praises. 0-60,handling,interior,exterior,they loved it all. Great review. Really did not hear any negatives. Wow.
    and congrats on your new 2003 Tiburon! Also, glad to hear your sunroof mishap was resolved to your satisfaction. I have to say, your dealer sounds pretty impressive. Hopefully everything will be uphill from this point on. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    acelink:

I went to:

<http://www.knfilters.com>

and searched their product list for 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. They came up with "no products listed". Then I changed the search to 2002 Hyundai Tiburon and they listed air and oil filters for the 2.0 liter engine. Looks like you might have to wait a bit. They came out with the Elantra GT filter about 6 months after introduction.

K&N doesn't make them, but you can get both a cold air and a short ram intake from AEM. That's quite a bit more than just a filter, though, so probably won't substitute if the filter itself is all you're looking for.
    I have driven 2 Tiburon GT 5 speeds and overall loved it. It's a sweet looking car on the outside and has a functional, attractive, and comfortable interior. The V6 is amazingly quiet and sounds like a mini jet engine when you rev it high, the ride is quiet on smooth roads, the doors have a nice solid thunk to them and feel very substantial, and the stereo sounds good. However, there were a few things I didn't like. First, the ride with the 17" wheels is a bit too choppy and loud on broken pavement. Second, both cars had a very noticeable clutch shudder. This worries me the most as a brand new car shouldn't have a shuddering clutch. I have also heard this mentioned in Edmund's test drive. I'm beginning to wonder if Hyundai sent over a bad batch of clutches. It just didn't feel very strong, as if it wouldn't last long under the power of that V6. Have any owners or others who test drove the 5 speed noticed this problem? Oh yeah, changing lanes by looking over your shoulder is difficult due to the huge blindspot from the C pillar area. Otherwise though, I think Hyundai has a winner here. It's one heck of a deal when compared to other V6 coupes. And the looks are just stunning.
    Someone on a UK site posted that he used a K&N drop in filter #33-2573 on his "Coupe."
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Parents pointed out this morning that they saw a new Tiburon on the road, said it looks pretty sharp. They were like "who makes that?" and I said "it's a Hyundai." and there weren't any laughs or anything. Looked at Celica GTs today, my brother likes them better, but he might need a better look next time I'm near a Hyundai dealer.
  • mabubbamabubba Member Posts: 53
    Hi all,

For the past 6 months or so I have been reading all the posts for many of the vehicles in this very hot category and decided on the '03 Tiburon. I have had it for 2 days and absolutely love it. I will write a longer user review soon.

I test drove the RSX type S and found it very appealing, but for 23K plus, it seemed a bit pricey. Also the get into it's power band(also for the Celica GT-S) you need to rev it into the 5-7K range, and for normal driving, that's a little outmoded. The 6 speeds are more mated to these four cylinder mini-racers.

I chose the 5 speed over the 6 speed because IMHO for a six cylinder(2.7L) engine, it's more of a gimmick that anything else. Again for everyday driving a 5 speed is more practical.

From jbmalik-("Handling at high speeds. The critics were right, the nose of the car is too "floaty"
    at high speeds, and the suspension is more harsh than I would like it over rough
    payment.... I would probably be nervous driving this car above 75 mph. I think
    others would concur.")

I just don't see the bad handling at high speeds. I had my tib around 90 on the freeway and it was just fine. And coming from a camry('97 traded in on tib), the tib positively hald the road just fine. Now, if you're talking about doing over 75 on a winding road with rough pavement, I'll have to get back to you...the mtn roads in western NC could accomodate that sort of test if I get the nerve to try it out.

From lngtonge18-("Second, both cars had a very noticeable clutch shudder.")

Again, my 5 speed doen't seem to have any clutch shudder. Very smooth so far. I haven't really pushed it through the gears yet though, so we'll have to see.

My other car is my sentimental favorite, a '90 laser. I had no interest in the new eclipse, too many garish body lines. The 1-2 gen laser/talon/eclipse are my favorite by far.

So, overall I picked the Hyundai it's looks, price and testdrive. Under 20K was a nice sweetspot. More to come, thanks for reading,

John
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    "(example: Today a local RI dealer offered me a loaded Jet Black Tibby V6 at $19.9K"

I'd get an SVT Focus for 2 grand less.

'Motorweek reviewed the new Tib and it was all praises"

Car & Driver did a comparison and it came in second to last, the only one it beat was the Beetle, which isn't really much to brag about:

"The shape is sufficiently wowee! to draw second and third glances, although it begins to look a bit amateurish on closer study"

"the Tiburon is not excellent at any task"

"Acceleration by most measures trails the others'"

"On the skidpad its 0.82-g grip edges only the Mitsubishi. Nearly the same story in braking, too"

"This is a machine of unrefined flavors"

"The cockpit smells of unpleasant chemicals. The doors slam with a junky note. The ears and the seat of the pants report a heavy-footed ride; it clomps over the bumps."

"the steering is lifeless and lacking in the feel of precision that makes a great sporting car"

I think there are many better choices out there, and they appear to agree with me. 20+ grand for a little two door Hyundai? If it was 16 or 17 I could see it, Hyundais are supposed to be cheap, thats the main thing they usually have going for them over the competition. The Tib doesn't appear to have that going for it, and doesnt appear to have much else to take its place.
    "I'd get an SVT Focus for 2 grand less."

Get to know your service manager.
    Sticker is $18494 for a 5 speed V6 Tiburon GT with everything standard except ABS and sunroof. This includes a 7 speaker Infinity CD/cassette combo, leather, side airbags, remote keyless with alarm, fog lights, 17" alloys, spoiler, and power everything. Look at the competition (V6 sporty coupes and VTEC four cylinder Japanese coupes) and it is indeed considerably cheaper. It's only a little above 20k when you get every option available. The Focus SVT does have better handling, but it is slower and build quality is questionable.
  • mabubbamabubba Member Posts: 53
    DSM on the limited-production SVT Focus is around 4-5K, if you can find one, putting it in the 23K+ range.
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    'Get to know your service manager."

In case you hadn't noticed Hyundais aren't the most reliable cars in the world. Just because they've got a hefty warranty doesn't mean they are reliable, although they sure seem to have fooled a lot of people into thinking thats what that means. JD Power has some Hyundais listed as the worst for initial quality in the world. Something like 300+ problems for each 100 cars in the first 90 days.

"DSM on the limited-production SVT Focus is around 4-5K, if you can find one, putting it in the 23K+ range."

Who told you that? I've seen them in my town for MSRP and Edmunds has TMV pegged at under MSRP.

"The Focus SVT does have better handling"

And braking. And its not much slower for having a little 4 cylinder compared to the Tibs inefficient V6. The small difference in straightline speed isn't enough to keep the Focus from mopping the floor with the Tib on any sort of race track or twisty road. Or keep it from winning comparos.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    look. Here's where Hyundai's Tiburon will attract more buyers. With it's looks. When I first saw the new Focus I thought it looked pretty
    good. Now it looks too simple and awkward with that Celica-similar slant-triange headlight. A tuned Tibby or a tuned Focus-what would be your poison? Or a commuter Focus left stock from the factory or a commuter 4cyl 5-speed Tiburon left stock from the factory? I'd take the South Korean offering for the brisk and lively looks anyday!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• moses5moses5 Member Posts: 61
    Take a look at this interior they offer in Belgium for the 2003 Tibrioun. The tan leather seats, door inserts and shifter is a nice contrast to the dark interior.

http://www.tuscani.be/news/index.cfm/news_ID/11

FOCUS SVT-

As for the Focus. I own a ZX3, and the first year reliability was not that good. I went through many recalls. I am sure it is a better car now--3 years later. But Fords customer service is not that great. As for reliability. JD Power as wekk as consumer reports has recently given Hyundai a good rating as far as improvement in the quality of the cars. So just because Ford is a seasoned car maker, doesn't mean they are built with rock solid reliability.

• moses5moses5 Member Posts: 61
    Take a look at this interior they offer in Belgium for the 2003 Tibrioun. The tan leather seats, door inserts and shifter is a nice contrast to the dark interior.

http://www.tuscani.be/news/index.cfm/news_ID/11

FOCUS SVT-

As for the Focus. I own a ZX3, and the first year reliability was not that good. I went through many recalls. I am sure it is a better car now--3 years later. But Fords customer service is not that great. As for reliability. JD Power as wekk as consumer reports has recently given Hyundai a good rating as far as improvement in the quality of the cars. So just because Ford is a seasoned car maker, doesn't mean they are built with rock solid reliability.

This discussion has been closed.