Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Accessories and Modifications

fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
edited April 2014 in Ford
K&N filter, JBA headers, Flowmaster w/dual outlets into 4" tips. They come out at an angle behind the rear tires.

BTW can anyone give a good reason why people want to stick the tailpipes straight out the back and let them extend beyond the bumper.
Great place to bust your shins and knee caps.

Comments

• badbluebadblue Member Posts: 4
    Super Chip, Air Force 1 airfilter kit, Banks Powerpack setup, can't believe the difference.
  • tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    No 250 yet, getting 1st this fall. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but have read about the Banks Powerpack. Can you tell me more? My primary interest would be improvements in daily driving performance. MPG=meaningless, of course ;-

Also, did you upgrade from wimpy-looking 265's?

Thanks.
  • badbluebadblue Member Posts: 4
    No, I didn't fool with the tires yet, just turned first 1000 miles. Don't use the truck as an everyday driver, mainly to pull my boat, (23' Wellcraft Excalibur) and fiver (32'Alumascape) which I'm picking up Sat. Before Banks, I was getting 151/2 to 16 MPG on highway at 70 MPH. In city with stop and go 12-13. I'll post next week what my highway numbers are with and without the fiver. Right now power is fantastic, tach winds up like crazy in all gears. Don't know what top end is as speedo returns to 0 when it hits the century mark, but starts working again when you get down below 100. Will post milage results on Monday.
  • jeeplessjeepless Member Posts: 5
    Take a look at these hood decals. I had to order a bunch and have some left over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2431397251&category=33641&rd=1
  • tedbebe4tedbebe4 Member Posts: 3
    CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOE TO SEND A FAKE SIGNAL TO THE WASTE GATE SO I CAN CREATE MORE BOOST.
  • best78fordbest78ford Member Posts: 3
    how do i convert my 1978 ford f150 2wd into a 4wd?
  • allday82allday82 Member Posts: 8
    you are better off trading for a truck thats alredy 4 wheel. YOU need a transfercase w/mounting plate,new axcels w/locking hub 4 wheel shifter. Transfer case goes between the transmission and the drive shaft. you could also add automatic locking hubs that would be harder.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I need to replace my bed-rail liner on the top of the lift gate on my '04 F150.

Anyone know a place other than Ford where I can buy that?

Ford wants $75 for this piece of plastic.
  • knobknob Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A AUSTRALIAN F250 5.4L 2004 MODEL, I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS FITTED HEADERS OR CHIP AND WHAT RESULTS IF ANY DID YOU GET. I HAVE MADE EXHAUST FROM MANIFOLDS BACK AND CHASIS DYNOED BEFORE AND AFTER WITH VERY LITTLE GAIN, MANIFOLDS LOOK VERY RESTRICTIVE. CANNOT BUY HEADERS IN AUSTRALIA SO I NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS WORTH BUYING FROM THE USA OR MAKING THEM MYSELF. WHICH BRAND IS THE BEST.
    I HAVE TRIED SUPERCHIPS MODULE ON DYNO DID NOT CHANGE POWER OUTPUT BUT MADE TRANSMISSION SHIFT BETTER, IS THERE A MODULE THAT WORKS? THANKS KNOB
  • mcfarlainmcfarlain Member Posts: 1
    I just inherited a dually from my dad. It gets about 10 mpg. I am thinking about going with 373gears instead of 411gears to improve mpg.I dont pull much more than a boat or utility trailer. 373's should do right?
  • ford624ford624 Member Posts: 75
    I am considering lowering my new 2wd F 150 Supercrew.
    Has anyone heard or experienced anything about the different kits that are avaliable?
    What is the best all around set-ups?
    "Thanks"
  • bboone52bboone52 Member Posts: 2
    I have an F350 ( just bought used)and probably have the 411 gear too. I am trying to determine that now. I talked to one person who seemed knowledgeable and there is another gear higher? than the 373 you may want to research if all you are towing is a boat. I plan to have a 3000lb slide in camper and a small boat to tow and I think I have enough power to do this and still change the gear for better fuel economy. I basically am trying to find sources to learn about towing and gears as well as who to trust to do the work. Any leads would be grately appreciated
  • casper3casper3 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a 88 F-250 and I was wondering if I can put a turbo on it.
  • routemanronroutemanron Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 F150 4x4 4.6. the auto transmission no good and I have a 1991 F150 4X4 300 6cyl and a 1990 F150 4X4 5.0 V8 Both have standard shift. Is there any way to put the standard shift in the 1997.
  • kspksp Member Posts: 3
  • kspksp Member Posts: 3
    is it possibale to put a 4 speed from 300 6cyl to a 351w with bellhouseing swap
  • abp1abp1 Member Posts: 3

This is my billet vent insert. I Replaced the stock insert with this one it looks so muck better. This is black ano it also comes in polished for around 200 installed.

I am also working on a vent kit for all f-series models. You will have to do some cutting. It will be worth it though. Would you guys want to see something like that?
  • homeagainhomeagain Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 95 F-150 with 5.0 EFI and auto/OD 4x4. It is a great truck from the original owner except I had wished for a stick. In any event, the performance is lacking. I have had Ford trucks before and did the usual header route. What can I do for this truck to boost power?
  • dart10309dart10309 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 F150.I could not figure out why my a/c fuse was blowing until I found my electrical harness had rubbed against my passenger side exhaust manifold,thus burning the insulation and wiring/check this out by removing plastic wheel well and look by O2 sensor.The fuse affected my drl and backup lites.
  • dart10309dart10309 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 F150with a 4.2.Pretty good truck but every time I accellerate the a/c stops blowing.I have read all th messages refering to this area,and I still can't figure this out.Also my fuel milage is getting worse.Answers anyone??Hey,I still love my truck.
  • hd82hd82 Member Posts: 13
    Any one heard or know of converting a F-150 crew cab 6' bed to an 8' bed. It seems stretching the frame, wires, brakes lines and drive shaft is all that is involved? Then set the 8' bed on it and you are done. Why isn't this available from dealer?
  • pandrews574pandrews574 Member Posts: 1
    On ford f350, 18k miles installed k&n air filter. 6 months later, white smoke with engine popping then later black smoke. Mechanic changed out turbo and said THE K&N filter is the problem so must re-install the factory original. I don't believe it. Any comments???
  • bluecamelbluecamel Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. please let me know your opinions on these two brands. which ones do you have or prefer to use. i am not sure which to look into please let me know what you think
  • astros461astros461 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed a chip on a 6.0 with a 6 speed? If so what brand and what were the gains? I have an 03 with this config and am thinking about adding a chip. I dont do a lot of towing but when i do its usaully just the Quads and a 16' tandem axle.
  • fordz1fordz1 Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone have the factory navigation system in their 08 Super Duty? If so, what are the likes and dislikes of the system.
  • kdean2608kdean2608 Member Posts: 9
    I have the system in a 250SD King Ranch and it is touch screen and very user friendly. System is same from the Lincoln's and works well. could be a little larger screen, but overall very good.
  • diehardforddiehardford Member Posts: 50
    I also have the nav system in my 08 250. It is user friendly and works pretty good. Likes are the ability to set numerous addresses in the address book and store them for latter. This works real well with your home address so no matter where you are you have a map home. Dislikes are the when the voice tells what street to turn on it sounds like a drunk talking. It will let you choose between fastest route and shortest route. The shortest route is not always the shortest. I have found when planning a long trip it is a good idea to check a road map and compare it with the route on the nav system, for the shortest route. You may need to set small towns as wave points to get the shortest route. The manual for the radio and nav system is over 60 pages and can be down loaded off the ford web site. also the nav system is no better than the data that is on the disk. A lot of small towns do not have all of their streets in the data base. Another like of the system is under points of interest you can find resturant, gas stations , hospitals , and shopping within 20 miles of your present location. Real nice on a long trip. Over all I like the system and believe it is worth having. There are after market systems that can be bought cheaper but I like built in the dash look over a add on sitting on top of the dash. Hope this helps.
  • wesbuck4wesbuck4 Member Posts: 7
    All,
    I have a question about improving the sound of my exhaust. I have a 2005 F150 4x4 that I love, but it is missing that mean loud truck sound that I hear from many other trucks on the road. I have a side exhaust that is factory from Ford, but I want to know how I can inexpensively make my exhaust system louder without completely changing out my system. What products are best for loudening my Ford's exhaust, or what changes can I make to give me that good rumble that I hear from many other trucks?
  • tfoster2tfoster2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 f150 4,6 v8,i installed a cat back exhaust system .which installs behind muffler,new system muffler has dual outlets and tail pipes mine is magna flow with great sound,but you can get flow master or many others .i got mine at ebay store called madhatter mufflers for 169.00 with chrome tips ,but they are on ebay for as low as 117.00,you will feel the difference,you might also look into cold air kit .from kn,airaid and others ,it gives real horse p[ower kick. hope this helps
  • xtrukkerxtrukker Member Posts: 1
    New to the forum...hope I'm not opening a can of worms.
    I'm thinking about putting open exhaust (OPEN) on my 02 f250 with the 5.4L, 6spd, 4WD, 3.73's in hopes of improving my mpg. Any thoughts on that (besides the EPA - there's no emissions testing in my state). If I do it, I plan on keeping the OEM system if I wind up having to put it back on. I've been having trouble finding any info on whether this engine needs a certain backpressure reading. There's no sensors in or after the cat, so I'm thinking I could run straights off the manifolds (if I can stand the noise) and the ECM wouldn't know the difference. Right now I'm getting 12-13mpg in town. Have a K&N filter, otherwise truck is stock.
  • darichdarich Member Posts: 1
    My neighbor needs to drill tiedown holes through the railcaps on his short bed pickup, and would like to know if anyone knows the measurements so when he drills he comes through flush with the pre-existing holes on the rails themselves. He has a bedliner installed and thus can't tell from beneath where the holes are located. Precise measurements from the cab/front end of the bed would help him immensely.
  • djm12djm12 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 ford f250 standard cab long bed .... im trying to install air lift brand air bags on it... the problem is where they are sopposed to mount the frame has an indentation.... it almost looks like the brackets need to be an inch longer... i checked with the manufacture and its thr right model for the truck.... any suggestions or a picture would be great... thanks dustin
  • richie1515richie1515 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone I'm new to this so I'm a little uncertain how it works? My question is I have a 2006 F250 diesel fx4 lariat 4dr short bed can I put 35' tires on it w/o a lift?...or if a lift is needed what would be the smallest I can get away with?
    -R
  • dbcambodbcambo Member Posts: 1
    I WANT TO CONVERT MY 2006 F150 SUPER CAB TO P/W & P/L. I WANT TO USE OEM DOOR PANELS, ETC. WHAT DO I NEED FOR THIS PROJECT BESIDES THE PANELS? WILL PARTS FROM AN F250 OR 350 WORK? ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANKS, DON
  • fordman25fordman25 Member Posts: 1
    what can you do if you purchase a 2007 roush f-150 stage 3 and you want to inhance the horsepower. After all roush racing is all about speed and performance.
  • dpierce101dpierce101 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 F350 I recently put bigger tires and rims on. The low pressure sensor stays on all the time as these tires use less psi. Ford dealer says there is no way to change pressure sensor to work with these tires, Please help or send electrical tape.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Use the tpm tool that came with the truck, looks like a keyless entry remote.
  • dpierce101dpierce101 Member Posts: 2
    I tried that tool, but it only calibrates between two different pressures. Will not work for my new tires. Thanks for replying though.
  • mike9408mike9408 Member Posts: 74
    Hi gang,
    I have a 91 f-150 that I have been working on for about a year. I am interested in putting a turbo on it. Can anyone give me imformation about this? Like the size of turbo to use, waste gate?, working with the ECM, what about the brakes, can I put a vacuum pump on it like a diesel has. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this? Or should I just forget the idea? Any input would be appreciated.
    Mike
  • harley19harley19 Member Posts: 7
    How do i pullout the entire headlight assembly off of the truck 97 f350, i need to drill 1 inch holes in the back of the directional lenses to put strobe lights in , i see the two screws in the top but cant find anymore.
  • harley19harley19 Member Posts: 7
  • zgreenezgreene Member Posts: 1
    i have owned a 1985 ford f250 for a while now and am ready to do a little bit of a lift to it but first i want to get the front axle switched. right now it is stock but i want to put a dana 60 in and i was just wondering if anyone knew what year f350 i can use or if the older 250 will work
This discussion has been closed.