Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Avenger

Comments

• the98avengerthe98avenger Member Posts: 1
    The 4 cylinder motor is NOT the 4g63 motor, and the 4g63 is NOT a swap as easy as replace the mounts and you'll be fine. The 4 cylinder motor is the 420a motor, same as in the dodge neon, except in the neon version of the 420a motor the head is flipped around. the intake is in the front while the exhaust is in the back. In the avenger version of the 420 a motor the intake is on the back and the exhaust in the front. I have a 1998 Dodge avenger with the 4 cylinder motor that I turbocharged and I love it. I have had very little problems since I bought it 2 years ago. I know alot about the avenger and can help with problems that people are having. Feel free to contact me if anyone has any questions. For all those reading this check out www.aseclub.net it is the avenger/sebring club and they have many modified cars, as well as many stock cars they have all had the same problems you have experienced. Check out the forums, and please search for a problem before you post a new problem. It is free to join.
  • avenger3avenger3 Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light has been on for a very long time. I was told my O2 sensor was the cause. I'm having someone fix it now, but ran into a problem. I need the part numbers for the 3 02 sensors (1 in the front and 2 in the rear). I am told from the dealership that there are only 2 sensors, but my mechanic is looking at 3. Can anyone help? I need the 02 sensor parts or part numbers so I can purchase them.

Thanks
  • maxflimaxfli Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. Have you been able to fix it?
  • gregg7gregg7 Member Posts: 1
    The only to tell is to remove the cap and take off the rotor. The rotors visually look the same it's the three flats on the rotor and the shaft that make it Large or small cams.
  • dmoney95dmoney95 Member Posts: 1
    at stoplights my 95 avengers idles really rough, to the point where the whole car is shaking then when I go to drive off, the car barely drives and I hear a knocking noise from the engine. If I downshift into L the car flies off. What is wrong with my car? :confuse:
  • 97avenger97avenger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 dodge avenger with a four cylinder, five speed. I recently blew the 2.0 and am inserch of a new motor. i was wondering if the 2.5 liter v6 would fit into my application. the reason is they are a lot easier to find then the 2.0's. Any other motor applications that would work would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Seth
  • davertdavert Member Posts: 23
    There have been at least two Avengers aside from the TV show - the Hillman Avenger, and the Mitsubishi coupe with Dodge labels. The current Stratus is moving ot a Mitsubishi platofrm (as in dimensions and such) with Chrysler engineering. It's due very soon, and htere's a whole bunch of info at
    http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/avenger.html
    along with spy photos and such.

FWIW, no quality predictions should be made by anyone on this model since it is completely, totally new except for the V6 engine and perhaps the automatic. There will even be a six-speed automatic which is completely new. It's not made by Mitsu and it's not designed by Mitsu - it's a cross breed. Heaven only knows what that will mean especially with the Mercedes bigots in charge.
  • balonis23balonis23 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 97 avenger..and i got it with around 33 thousand miles for only 1500...its a 5 speed 2.0 and it runs great...theres nothing wrong with it at all so far...i had it for about 4 months now and i had a water pump problem which it overheated .and a mechanic changed all the hosesfor me because he said they were roting..and i think my rotors are starting to warp....but now everythings still going good with it ..and i havent had any other problems with it...to me this was a killer deal when i got it :D....but does anyone know how to remove the clear part of the headlight to clean..because dodges are known for having bad headlights..and i dont know how to remove the seal..so if someone knows how to just let me know...

thanks,
    dave
  • balonis23balonis23 Member Posts: 2
    yeah i have a 97 avenger..and i have it for about 5 months..and it runs great..a lil 2.0 5 speed..and the check engine light came on recently and its been on..but theres nothing wrong with my car ...but i was told it could just be a sensor
  • jim83421jim83421 Member Posts: 6
    i am working on a 96 avenger 2.5 they already changed out the plugs wires cap rotor and sensor before bringing it to me it has a miss on cyl 3 good fuel pressure voltage to injector and to plugs it fires when out of engine but not when in compression is very good 150 -155 on this head has any one found this problem
  • 96avengerv696avengerv6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Avenger es V6 and i just bought it about 2 months ago and the headlights are so bad that you can verily see through them! i got some stuff at O'Rielly's auto parts, it is some polish stuff that comes in a blue bottle, and you just wipe it on and buff it off and it cleans the out side off really good, but i ended up just payin the $500 and buyin all new headlights cause everyone kept telling me that your not supposed to take the clear cover off, i thought it was pretty stupid, but whatever! Sorry if that wasnt of any help to ya!
    Caleb E.
  • c0k3h3adc0k3h3ad Member Posts: 1
    i have a dodge avenger and the headlights fogged up too. the problem is not in the lens like most people think. its on the outside. a way to cure this is to sand it using a slightly higher grit of sandpaper each time until the "fog" is gone, or you can buy some cleaner used to remove the fog.
  • 3girlmom3girlmom Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 96 Avenger back in Oct.05. I have experienced a small leak with Transmission fluid. But for now, I just make sure to keep my fluids topped off. Mine is black. Since purchasing mine, I've seen 6 other black ones. 4 out 6 all have the same problems I see on my front of the hood and that is the paint fading (the clear coat looks like a cracked egg shell). I was wondering if anyone knew of a recall on the paint jobs on the black ones. I have 96 Avenger ES 24 valve. By the way...the car is awesome!! It's sporty and still has a unique look from some of the cars today. It still keeps heads turning!!! ;)
  • nicolasavengernicolasavenger Member Posts: 2
    Hi I own a 1996 Avenger ES 2.5L V6 with 275000 Kilometers on it (about 171000 Miles). Car has been great and I plan on keeping it for a while longer, but have a few questions that maybe someone can help me with. 1) The oil pressure gauge ALWAYS reads on the lowest mark...is the gauge dead or do I have no oil pressure? Also 2) Recently I have noticed a clacking/clicking sound coming from the engine in the first few minutes of use, then it goes away. What is this? Is it a problem? Finally 3) On a few different occasions after the battery has been disconnected for a period of time, (and then re-connected) my Avenger gives me many problems such as will not start, if it does start it stalls shortly thereafter or when put in gear, etc. I find if I nurse it into gear and take it for a spin for about 20 minutes, it cures itself? What can this be? If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks!
  • bigj1588bigj1588 Member Posts: 2
    The engin swap is pretty easy to do, its just costly. All the mounts and everything will line up with no problems. When doing the swap you will need the motor, all wire harnises, ecu, tranny, and the drive shafts. Only reason why you will need the tranny and drive shafts is because its the same engin as what you have except everything is switched. instead of the tranny being on one side its on the opposite side.
  • bigj1588bigj1588 Member Posts: 2
    Ive read through all the little discusion on this page about the avenger and I disagree with both guys. I think the avenger is a good car to own. Mycousin had hers for 5 years and didnt want to get rid of it but had no choice sense she needed a 4 door. She never had any mechanical problems with it and she had the automatic one. Now I have had Avenger for bout 6 months now and Im loving it. Only mechanical work Ive done to mine is what I wanted to do to it, nothing has broken. Yes I did do the timeing belt, but when ever I get a new car I do the timeing belt. My cousine had a 97 Avenger with 90k miles on it with no problems and I have a 96 Avenger manual with 136k miles on it. Now 2500 for the car I think is a little much, I would only pay 1800 to 2000 for the car.
  • rpmmanrpmman Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 dodge avenger with a blown motor and i was wondering if i can throw a engine from a 97 neon dohc in it? thanks please email me back at [email protected]
  • intelligentt82intelligentt82 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L. My car was running perfectly until yesterday when I rained. I was riding on this backstreet at night in the rain, when there was a puddle of water sitting that I didn't see. I drove right into it and water went everywhere. A few minutes later I see that my engine light is on. I thought maybe this morning it would be off but it's still on. Does anyone have any idea what I could have done to my car, and if it has anything to do with me getting something wet underneath my car??? please help...
  • nicolasavengernicolasavenger Member Posts: 2
    I have heard that the air intake on the Avenger is very low, a "bottom breather" if you will, and in some circumstances like you mentioned with the puddle, water can get inside the intake.

I dont really know what this does to the engine, but that sounds to me like what happened.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks longtime loyal Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep buyers who want the company to build a subcompact model or two. Please reply to [email protected] no later than Friday, October 20, 2006 with a few relevant comments and your daytime contact info.
  • keatondkeatond Member Posts: 1
    i am new to the whole forum thing but please help me

i have a 95 avenger 2.0L 4 cyl and i recently replaced a headlight bulb. the same day, my left turn signal came on as soon as i turned the key on and the lever does nothing. im guessing theres a short somewherer but i dont know.

has anyone else had this problem?
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I am trying to get a 95 dodge avenger running after the battery and alt. had been changed out. It is doing the samething it will start and die or when it does run it dies when you put it in gear and now it sees like there is no spark. Did you get any info on how to repair this? I would be greatful for any help
    Thank You!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Folks, since there have been quite a few posts about starting/stalling issues with the Avenger, I've created a new topic here: Dodge Avenger: Starting/Stalling Issues

You might have noticed that I've moved some of the recent posts about this over there.

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    i have a 97 avenger and my egr valve is broken... the damn thing is all the way behind the intake manifold... i was wondering if anybody has an easy way to access it
  • tegs4tugstegs4tugs Member Posts: 3
    hey whats up man, i have a 95 dodge avenger 2.5 es with the same problem. it used to cut off randomly but will start immediately for about 3 months, now after about 20 minutes of driving it just cuts off until and wont start for another half hour and im not getting any spark. i did a tune up, replaced distributer, replaced crank sense, replace idla air valve, now im thinking it might be the computer, someone suggest flashing or replacing it, any ideas or test i could perform to verify this?
    where is this website where the damaged wire is, cause i noticed most of the times it will shut off when im swithing gears, so im guessing this might be a possibility, please tell me where this wire is at or the website where i can find it, your help would be greatly appreciated.
    hey whats up man, i have a 95 dodge avenger 2.5 es with the same problem. it used to cut off randomly but will start immediately for about 3 months, now after about 20 minutes of driving it just cuts off until and wont start for another half hour and im not getting any spark. i did a tune up, replaced distributer, replaced crank sense, replace idla air valve, now im thinking it might be the computer, someone suggest flashing or replacing it, any ideas or test i could perform to verify this?
  • steamboat26steamboat26 Member Posts: 4
    I am going out on Wednesday to look at a 97 Avenger V6 automatic with 100k miles. Any problems I should look out for?
  • raptorrydrraptorrydr Member Posts: 6
    before going for the computer check the automatic shutoff relay. I posted this a long time ago but it is the middle small box on the driver side under the hood up on the fire wall area if you take like a screwdriver or something and tap it while someone turning the key see if that works.. if it is the computer you can find one on ebay alot cheaper than junkyards or the dealer. I thought mine was the computer but turned out to be that realy for $50. let me know what happend... hope that helps some...
  • raptorrydrraptorrydr Member Posts: 6
    Well really dont know much to look for because I really have not had that big of a problem with mine mostly just check conditon of car and how smooth it runs and starts. Good luck hope its a good car. :D
  • steamboat26steamboat26 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply.

I keep reading all these horror stories about 1995-2000 Avengers, about transmission failure, brakes that wear really fast, and extremely high repair cost. But then, others say that the reason they have these problems is because they never do preventative maintenance (ie regular oil changes, replacing water pump, timing belt, and tune-ups). Overall, it seems like the Avenger has lower than average reliability, but then again, the majority of people who are going to be posting reviews/rants online are going to be the ones who have had problems with the car.
    Can someone reassure me about my decision to potentially buy this car? :confuse:
  • ginoaginoa Member Posts: 3
    i hope you have given more than carefull consideration to why all the horrer stories .i have a 97 6 cyl,thats stuck in a parking lot. most the posts seem to be of the same or similar problems.allso i checked a few other sites for the last 4 or more hours and the same problems are listed .
    so only as a suggestion , be carefull of your decision.you might face less a risk in another make and model
    good luck
    gino
  • vcuhoo628vcuhoo628 Member Posts: 1
    i have a rear bumper and side skirts for sale if anyone wants them. 100 dollars for everything. email me at [email protected] for more info and/or pics
  • elbiociqelbiociq Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Avenger ES 2.5L V6 but I have the same problem than yours in my 98 Rodeo (and after spending money in towing and buying a starter, I found out that the problem was the "STARTER RELAY" under the hood, fuse box) a $ 6.00 dollars part at AutoZone. Also my son in law has a 92 Corolla with the same problem and it was the Starter Relay (both vehicles automatic transmission). So as a friendly advise, before pulling the starter or buying anything check if the starter relay works, it's not hard to test it.
    I know how to do it, if you are gonna do it you can email me. Good luck!
  • svicesvice Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had to replace the exhaust from front to back? If so, how? The main exhaust manifold can only be ordered from a shop and now includes CC. Has anyone considered matching up the frame with an classic from the 60-70's. Maybe too far fetched, but my vehicles' is rusted thru rockers (bilateral) and it needs a complete overall anyway. How about a RatRod project. Any ideas?
  • jim83421jim83421 Member Posts: 6
    THIS CAR RUNS FINE EXCEPT WHEN YOU RIVE UP TO ABOUT 2500 RPMS IT ACTS LIKE IT IS RUUNING OUT OF FUEL BUT IT HAS VERY GOOD PRESSURE AND SUPPLY VECHILE HAS 190,000 PLUS ON IT HAS ANY ONE FOUND THIS PROBLEM IF SO WHAT IS IT . I HAVE DICONNECTED THE KNOCK SENSOR BUT STILL THE SAME???????
  • dodgedisasterdodgedisaster Member Posts: 1
    i dont know much about cars so i could really use some help i have a 97 dodge avenger 2.0 liter 4 clinder 16 valves and my timing belt broke i was going up a lil hill my speed was about 45 to 50 it just shut off so i coasted it to the side and seen that it was broke my question is do u think it broke the valve is there anyway to tell if it broke the valve. thanks in advance
  • johnnycanuck35johnnycanuck35 Member Posts: 1
    The high beams do not come on at all,I replaced the bulbs one was burnt one was good.I checked the fusses and they were good but there is still nothing,and there is no power to the plugs .any sugestions.
  • 6faith6faith Member Posts: 1
    I know its been awhile since your post but can you tell me where this starter relay is located as my son has a 1995 Avenger as well and we want to try this first but according to the mechanic books looks like it shows under the dash and of course the dealer mechanics said they don't know when we call. We need a number off it to get a new part for it but need to locate and take out first. Any help on this would be appreciated just want to try the cheaper way first. Thanks
  • marilyn34marilyn34 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is old post but I hope it will save money for more of you. This is the same thing a lot of people have. I have had 96 Sebring 2.5 and a 97 Avenger 2.5 and both had this problem. The first go around I spent $1,700 to watch the experts parts swap. Her is the magical answer and it is this easy.

There is a bank of relays on the firewall, 3 to be exact. One of them is the master shut off curcuit and you will get no spark when the car will not start. $30 at the wrecking yard will get all three and you are done.
  • trexxttrexxt Member Posts: 5
    Try the egr valve this is a part that everyone over looks at the dealer it's $148 cheaper than after market cheers''
    I've been having problems also with my Avenger ,when slowing down I have to keep my foot on the gas and the brake or the car shuts down then I have to start it up again because the avenger is a very unique car as I found out '' I had to find a really good mechanic but before I did I replaced a few things that different mechanics thought was the problem and none of the new parts made a difference so when it came down to it this new mechanic really new his stuff it turned out to be the EGR VALVE which can be ordered from chrsyler for $148.00
    It's on the left side of the car by the front tire you'll have to jack the car up to get at it easy to change it might have water in it hope this helps cheers''
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Dodge Avenger drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to [email protected] with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.
  • dodgegal22dodgegal22 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Avenger for 6 months and recently decided to fix it up... or "trick it out". I would like to do the whole nine yards - body kit, rims, paint job... everything. Please any advice will be very appreciated!! E-mail [email protected]
  • qaz123qaz123 Member Posts: 2
    My wife came home the other night and the tail lights stayed on could not find the problem and still looking at what to fix.for now i open the trunk and disconnect them the blinker and brake lights work when you plug them in they just do not turn off when you turn the car off
    has anyone run across this with their Avenger if so what did it take to fix the problem?thanks in advance for anyone who can help me
    RTH/
  • bonnseyebonnseye Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    My girlfriend asked me to find out where the Fuel Pump is located. I beleive the filter is located under the car in front of the gas tank, but not sure about the pump. I'm sure if I go see it and dig into it I'll find it but until then, I thought I'd check into it this way. Anybody help
  • northstormnorthstorm Member Posts: 1
    The pump is easy to get to. Simply lift up the back seat, and it is on the right side under a plastic cover with 4 bolts holding it on. If you turn on the key, and it makes a noise, it is probably working. The fuel filter is under the hood on the firewall. It is driver side, if I remember right, and hard to reach. I recommend that you pull the hose off the fuel pressure regulator, and turn on the key. If fuel squirts out, then the pump and filter are clear. The FPR (fuel pressure regulator) is the last place fuel needs to go before it returns to the fuel tank. It is located on the right side of the front rail, easy access. I am all about "easy".
  • evalovelyevalovely Member Posts: 3
    I agree....I bought my 08 Avenger 8 months ago. The car only has 30K miles on it. So far I’ve taken the vehicle to the shop twice. First the shifter got stuck on park. I had to pay to get the vehicle towed and the entire shifter assembly was replaced. Second, the steering wheel started making a squeaky noise every time I turned it. I had to take it back to the shop to get that repaired. Now I’m hearing a rattling noise in the engine…I’m scared to find out what it is this time…the car is unreliable and the performance is poor. Dodge should trash all of them and start from scratch.
  • evalovelyevalovely Member Posts: 3
    I have nothing good to say about my car, except that I like the color. I bought my 08 Avenger 8 months ago. The car only has 30K miles on it. So far I’ve taken the vehicle to the shop twice. First the shifter got stuck on park. I had to pay to get the vehicle towed and the entire shifter assembly was replaced. Second, the steering wheel started making a squeaky noise every time I turned it. I had to take it back to the shop to get that repaired. Now I’m hearing a rattling noise in the engine…I’m scared to find out what it is this time…the car is unreliable and the performance is poor. Dodge should trash all of them and start from scratch.