Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• StevePIIIStevePIII Member Posts: 55
    I have to agree wit bluedevils, I thought something was odd with ours, 2003 EX, But it certainly takes a Slam to ensure it locks in place. My only complaint is how heavy the seats are, but I suppose that is because my wife makes me lug it upstairs into our office -- we would not want her seats getting dirty in the garage, now would we?!?
  • brenicebrenice Member Posts: 21
    I have found that when you are replacing the seats, that if you sit in them, and push back they will lock into place.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Ditto my 2003. Also, check to make sure the front hooks are fully seated before trying to push down/sit. I noticed they don't "slide home" easily. Suspect that is merely a sign of a tight fit due to being new. Check with me in another 5 yrs, 60K miles.
    Does anyone hear the typical "Clicks" when they apply the Parking Brake?? Ours does not Click at all
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Not on our 2002 EX. It took some getting used to, but it no longer concerns me.
    I did not even think about it until I read in the owners manual that one should get used to the number of clicks it takes for the PBrake.?
    That's interesting. I'll have to listen more carefully to see if the parking brake clicks at all while being engaged. I get the impression our parking brake works fine, but haven't parked it on a big hill to verify that it will keep the van from moving while in Neutral. It does hold the vehicle stationary when the transmission is in Drive, though.
    I listened more carefully while engaging the parking brake last night. Ours does click while being engaged, though it's not really loud and is a less mechanical sound than parking brakes in other vehicles I've owned.
    thanks for checking it out -- it will be due for an oil change very soon, I will have the dealer check it out when I am there -- thanks again.
  • bnhbucksbnhbucks Member Posts: 74
    Martib - you wrote:

"Next I found a spot of RUST on the tailgate, The dealer tells me that this was caused by a loose tailgate trim near the license plate. He is going to repaint the complete tailgate for me at no cost."

Thanks for that information. I posted not long ago concerning this same exact issue on the regular forum - rust around the sides of the Chrome plate above the license plate and no one else had experienced this. I am also glad to hear that your dealer was willing to fix that problem. I have not checked as of yet, but plan on doing so. It is quite ridiculous that it would rust so soon - only 4800 miles and bought in October. Your dealers seemed to handle this graciously as I hope mine will. Thanks.

Someone had suggested that it may be a manufacturers defect in installation causing this problem, so it would be covered under warranty. I'll let you know.
  • mrwallacemrwallace Member Posts: 69
    Pizard posted tonight on the "Kia Sedona" board about pretty much the same hatch rust problem as yours.
  • exsedona1exsedona1 Member Posts: 14
    Rust showing up along the tailgate chrome trim. About an inch of paint in a line along the left edge.

Seat springs are hard to compress when re latching the seats. I looked at the design and realized that these springs keep the seat latches from moving when the latches are engaged. Tough installation of a seat is a small price to pay for having a good heavy duty spring holding that latch closed.

They made these seats seriously heavy too. I almost stripped my gears lugging all four out of the van last weekend. I had the kid put the seats back in.
    That's what teenagers are for....he he he
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    I read that the IIHS 5 mph bumper bash resulted in front air bag deployment on the Sedona. Kia claims this is an anomaly. Does anyone have any real world experience with a minor 5 mph bumper bash ?

Also, IIHS shows the repair costs to be pretty high for Sedona. Anyone here been in a body shop ? How bad was the damage ? How much were the expenses ?
    Thanks for your advice on replacing the 3rd row seats. By sitting on the right one I got it back in in about 90 seconds - spent more time than that tugging on it in disbelief that it went in so easily after reading the various postings.
    I have the same problems and others have too. I have heard that it is a manufacturing defect - the plate not being secured properly and and therefore water getting behind there and causing rust. I have also read that a dealer told someone that they need to be careful about slamming the gate shut with that plate - which may loosen it. Someone else had the door completely repainted by the dealer as a fix.

I have not taken mine in, but I plan to soon. It is rusting around the edges of that plates and underneath right above the license plate. It should not be rusting this soon - especially since I washed it at least twice a month during the winter and just bought it in October.
  • goesksgoesks Member Posts: 12
    I recently found very small rust spots on the hatch of my Sedona. I took it into the dealer, and they repainted half the tailgate, under warranty. I was told that the cause is the lack of proper gasket between the trim piece and the painted surface which it attaches to. My dealer mentioned that the gasket is very thin, and does not cover the entire surface of the trim making contact with the paint. When the trim piece is put on, it chips the paint, therefore causing surface rust. Dealer has also mentioned that he has seen other vans with the same problem, and has reported it to Kia head office, requesting a proper fix.

As a side note, I saw a Sedona parked at the mall. I got close enough to inspect its hatch, and saw that it too had the same rust spots as I witnessed on mine.

I suspect this is an issue that Kia will have to address in short time, as I am certain that this is a widespread problem.

I was pleased, although slightly incovenienced for two days while the vehicle was fixed, to see that my dealer took care of the problem without a fuss.
    Have these rust problems been on 2002s or 2003s or both?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    More worrying is that Sedona has existed, though not in North America, for about 5 years and this sort of problem has not been resoved. It sounds like it wouldn't be rocket science to change the gasket. Maybe it's a problem peculiar to the North American Sedona?
    mrwallace - mine is a 2002 - bought in October

goesks - thanks for that information. I will take it to the dealer and tell him what another dealer has said.
    Maybe the rust problem is salt-related and perhaps other locales do not use salt as much as the wintry areas of North America? Of course, if people all over the U.S. are reporting this problem with their Sedonas, then it is obviously NOT salt- or weather-related.
  • t65t65 Member Posts: 9
    It’s definitely not a North America issue.

I don’t have a personal experience yet because got mine just 2 weeks ago but surfing the net I stumbled into a German Kia board where many of them mentioned to have the same rust problem on the rear hatch of their ’02 Carnival II, which is your Sedona. Some also mentioned rust around the radiator grill.

This problem did not appear on the first model (which you guys did not get) which had a different grill and hatch. When referring to a 5 year existence of the Sedona you have to take into account the model change that took place with the MY '02. US sales only started with this one.

The cause of the problem seems to be related to a poor fit of the grill and the trim which does not follow correctly the actual shape the body panels. Some edges present on the hatch trim moulding seem to cut through the paint layer and vibration of the grill causes wear of the paint in the contact areas.

I don’t believe there’s a factory fitted gasket under the hatch trim because these Germans reported that under warranty they got the hatch re-sprayed, the trim grinded and a gasket (home made) placed.
    t65, what's the web address for this board? I assume the discussion is in German?
    Bluedevils,

Here you are: the web address is www.kiaboard.de and, as you guessed, the discussions are in German.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bitte keine Förderung der konkurrierenden Foren. Danke.

Steve, Wirt
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    If you want anything translated from German to Anglais, try this website:
    http://www.freetranslation.com

Steve, Hoffen Sie, daß dies Mitglied Abkommen Regeln nicht übertritt (Got this from the above site :-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm really not a "landlord" of the discussion, lol?

Steve, Host
    I called my local dealer concerning the rust appearing on the rear hatch and they told me to just bring it in and it would be covered under warrantee no questions asked. That is good news!

I was told that they have seen several already with this problem. - not so good news!

I will let you know what actually happens.
  • shooter_2000cashooter_2000ca Member Posts: 6
    Had the van (2002 EX)for almost a year now....I too have this rust problem that's mentioned on here. Does anyone know how long the warranty covers this problem. I'm just worried that it might come back again and again. BTW....i'm in Canada.
    Shoot_2000ca - The way I understand this - it will be covered for the full term of 100,000 or 10 years. If they see it as a manufacturing defect, which it apparently is (loose chrome plate on the hatch), then they should cover it during that time.

If they fix it properly, then it should quite some time before it comes back, but if not, then I'll simply take it back to fix again.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Only your powertrain has the benefit of a 10 year limited warranty. I don't tkink that the problem you describe will be covered by the anti-perforation warranty. These warranties normally apply to perforation of a panel from the inside out, something that is unlikely to happen.
  • seeley5060seeley5060 Member Posts: 25
    After reading all the complaints about the front end sounding like something is loose, I took my 2002 sedone Ex to the dealer stating the same on 4-24-03. They never took the van out for a drive. The mechanic said he felt all the undercarrage areas and felt nothing loose. I insisted that their was noise. Dealer said they would call Kia and open a case file. That was on the 24th of April. Received a customer sevice copy in the mail on 4-29-03 that read...called Dan P. on his voicemail and called Lou P. Field spec. who stated normal charistic of vehicle vibration. Logged on to Kia and saw no case file. Dealer "atlantic kia" of Islip NY is pulling one over on owners. Has anyone had their bushing or struts replaced because of vibrations?
  • sisu145sisu145 Member Posts: 22
    I have had this convesation with my dealer.
    Bob Rohrman Kia of Waukegan, Il. As of 3 weeks ago, Kia was sending him every bushing in the front end of a Sedona and he was going to change them out one at a time till he found the problem. I have to call him today about the recall bolts, (didn't have them in stock) and will report back.
  • moosekmoosek Member Posts: 7
    Hi - I've had my EX with leather, ABS, sunroof and rear spoiler for 3 days. By the way, we leased it - agreed upon sales price was 20332, residual 9577 - monthly payment is 269 - I think we got a reasonable deal.

My previous vehicle was a 2000 ford expedition which I drove for 3 years and never had so much as a single second of thought regarding whether or not there was anything wrong with it. So, uh, maybe my expectations are a little out of whack.

Here are my questions - I'm hoping someone can shed some light on them:

1) The van emits a really really "hot" smell after it's been running - yet the temperature gauges aren't at all in the high area. At first I thought it was just because it was brand new but - now I'm wondering....is this normal??? If so, after how many miles should it disappear?

2) Today, my THIRD day driving it, and after only putting 90 miles on it total I suddenly heard a weird noise - it was sort of high pitched and at first I thought it was in the song I was listening to. Then, as I braked, it got really loud - I hit the mute button on the radio and heard this high pitched sound that almost sounded like a horn as I pressed on the brake pedal. It sort of freaked me out - there was an overall odd hum and squeal to the engine too so I pulled over - tried moving into and out of Park, Drive, Reverse etc. - but it didn't go away so I shut the engine off altogether. When I restarted it - the noise was gone......but now I'm worried there's a problem....any ideas??!!

3) After #2 episode above - I noticed that my sunroof started malfunctioning. The sunroof has two options, open all the way, or "tilt" - My problem is that, if you open it all the way, then close it, then try to hit the "tilt" button - it won't work. You can press that button over and over and over and over and nothing happens. After a few minutes - it will finally "tilt" - ditto going in the opposite direction from tilt to fully open. I'm starting to worry I have an electrical problem. Anyone else have sunroof problems??

4) I cannot believe how weak the keyless entry remote is. I have to be standing - no - almost leaning up against the vehicle for it to unlock the door. Then, I have to continue to hit the button maybe 8 or 10 times for it to unlock the other doors. My Ford used to lock or unlock through WALLS! - I could literally stand inside my house and check to see if my doors were locked by hitting the button enough times to make the horn honk. I would also do the same thing from the street level of my parking garage at work with my Ford on the 4th floor! I'm really unhappy with this crappy keyless system. What's the point if you have to be standing next to the dang door anyway? Might as well just get your key out and do it the old fashioned way! Again, I'm wondering if this is normal and maybe my expectations are just too high because of my previous experience. Oh, one more keyless entry question - is the horn supposed to honk at you every stinkin' time you close a door and the van is locked? major annoyance.....
    We have a '03 Ex with 4,200 miles. Have had zero problems.

Your questions:
    1) Ours had a similar smell. It diminished over time. Hopefully, your smell will as well.
    2) Don't have a cue on that one.
    3) Definitely, something wrong with the sunroof.
    4) Our remote will unlock the car from inside the house at a distance of 30 feet. Your problem sounds similar to problems associated with the 2002s. I forget the exact solution whether it was fresh batteries (should be fresh on a new car) or a better grounding plate.

Did not quite understand your last complaint. On ours, if you have doors open when you lock the vehicle, it will honk when the final door is closed (assuming all doors are making complete contact.) What I was not clear on was if you have more than one door open does it honk after each door closes or only on the final one.

Our only "problem" (knock on wood) has been the fake chrome ring around the 6" speaker on the driver door. There is a piece of clear plastic over the top of it, and that has snagged. I am not sure whether it happened on its own or whether my shoe tore it getting in or out.

Sorry that you are having these problems - we have really enjoyed ours.
    On my new 2003 Carnival (european version of the Sedona) with 2.9 CRDI diesel engine I just had the same experience as with your #2 issue.

It appeared after having covered about 1600 miles and really scared me. Switched off the engine and restarted again. No problem and it hasn’t happened again. Completed my trip and I am now at 3200 miles and nothing wrong. I plan to stop by the Dealer’s work shop and talk with their Chief Mechanic.

Anyway, because of the pulsating feeling I got when pressing the brake panel, I just have the impression that the ABS unit went nuts but their was no malfunctioning light coming up on the dashboard when it happened.
  • rajahsmomrajahsmom Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2002 EX with ALL the options (we bought it Feb.24, 2002)it has 17,000 miles on it and we just noticed the same kind of small rust spots on our bottom hood area as well....we weren't so lucky though...it's at the dealer we bought it from and they say it isn't covered under warranty because it was most likely caused by rocks. I've been busy searching all over the net for a site like this one. I'm going to go in tomorrow with my husband and see what more I can find out about it.
  • joedavjoedav Member Posts: 6
    hi,

i just purchased a new kia sedona ex with leather and sunroof and had a strange experience. the first one i bought and within 24 hours there was an oil leak in my driveway and no lights were on when i went back in to the vehicle. i immediately called the dealership and after a few hours they told me the cylendar in the engine was cracked and it was a manufacture defect. i demanded a new van with the same options and they finally agreed to put me into a new one. i had only owned the van for about 12 hours and 50 miles. ok i thought this is a one in a million chance and they thought so too and now a week later i hear a weird noise when i go over bumps and am not sure what it is. i complained to kia and opened a case to let them know that i feel very unsure with my new purchase and i felt like if i did not push it with my dealership they would have let me stay with the first van and had the repairs on a new vehicle that was 12 hours old. I guess my question is are there known problems with noises on the sedona ex 2003. i am going to listen again and check the seats and the abs system but i am disgusted already. i was driving a 2000 dodge caravan that ran good i just did not get power when i bought it. so i decided to trade it in. i need someone to make me feel better. thanks in advance.....JoeDav
    hi i own a 2003 kia sedona 7 days old and i am hearing a squeaking sound like a spring coming from the front drivers side. has anyone else had this problem
    Only weird noise from back of my 2003 Kia van is generated by my kids.

Recommend check list...in motion, not in motion...turn on/off a/c, try to isolate each system to see if it is fan/electrical related, or suspension.

BTW, believe I'm having A/C fan noise from front end when compressor kicks in. Anyone else?
  • soon2bkiaownersoon2bkiaowner Member Posts: 6
    The only time I have had a weird noise in the back was when a seat was not completely latched, and when there was a paper tube between the seat belt and door. Both times it was my fault.

My fully loaded 2002 EX is now 6 months old and has 6k miles. The only "problem" I have is the ash tray does not always stay closed. Occasionally when I go over a speed bump to fast it opens up. Does anyone else have this problem?

Other than that I LOVE my van.
    Yep, we hear sqeaky noises too...thought they were from the 3rd row seats, but with both of those out we still hear the sqeaking coming from the back somewhere!
    Our van has been in the shop since Monday and this is now Thursday and we have been stuck with the terrible 1999 Sephia that doesn't like to start as a loaner...we got a call this morning to inform us that they found a nail in out tire and plugged it for us without asking permission and they say they plugged it because they don't have the equiptment to patch it---sure I think they just want us to have to buy new tires when that one blows out...this means we will now have to take it to Firestone so they can remove the plug and patch the tire so we don't get tire seperation! They also put in a new air filter without asking which my husband says he could've done for cheaper! They quoted the rust damage at $300 and said it isn't covered under warranty becuase they think rocks chipped the paint allowing rust to form!!! Can you believe that?? Ok, then why is it that our 1995 Mirage has chipped paint, but no rust??? Why would an 8 year old car not have rust, but a ONE year old van does??!!??
    Ofcourse we aren't going to pay one red cent for something that I believe should be under warranty...we are going down there today and I am going to discuss this with them IN PERSON....hopefully there will be a lot of potential buyers there to hear what I have to say and then I can run them out!
    If I have to I will go to another dealer..there's a new one that opened about 30 mins. from us.
    We just got home from the dealer...we now notice rust spots on the back near the license plate as others have noticed...the guy at first tried to tell us it was caused by rocks chipping the paint, but after looking more closely he noticed that the rust spots are tiny-like pin points so he told us he can get the back covered under waranty and that the front MIGHT be fixable and he will take care of the costs. It better be fixable and we better not have to pay anything....as for the tire that they plugged, it's not FLAT and he is going to have the Mr. Tire people patch that and he will again pick up the tab...good. We will now have a loaner for another week! They gave us a 2000 Sportage with 100,500 miles on it! Wow! That's a lot for a three year old car.
    Glad you are getting some service from your dealer. You should be appreciative for getting a loaner vehicle. Kia dealers are under no obligation to do this, so your dealer is extending some kindness there.
    i hear the problems with the rust on the vehicle in the 2000 ex models. i just purcahesed a 2003 ex sedona and was wondering if anyone knows if this was corrected for the 03 model or should i watch out for this?
    Joeday - I don't know if this problem has been fixed on 2003. It seems that is only happening on 2002 - That is what mine is.
    WRT concern over plugged tire, it is your preferrence. Some folks just happier with patch vice plug...some folks offer both (cut plug off inside, then grind and patch.

I've probably put on 1500-2000 patches over the years when I worked for my father. Tires differ greatly in their ability to hold them. Michelins used to be very hard to patch, as they had a very thin liner.

BTW,if you use the tire goo (green stuff) or inflate a flat can to recover from a roadside flat, virtually NO tire repair place will do anything but plug your hole. Patches won't stick well, and they don't want the liability.

I found that out the hard way after deciding to use the emergency inflate a flat can I keep for the Mrs. to repair a flat on my truck one rainy night late when I found out I had a flat. On further reflection, wish I'd know that in advance...I might have still crawled under the truck. I plugged the hole myself, and it has held for 3 yrs now. (Knock on wood). Goodyear original equipment tire on a Ford F150. No idea how the Korean tires hold plugs.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    Sorry you got a " Bum" unit! I have 19,000 miles on my 2002 and I am delighted with it. Read my post on upping highway milage to 25 MPG. Also be assured many have been getting great service from the Sedona. A close Friend at Church has 60,000 miles on his # 2002 van. He too has had no mechanical problems with it. Worth noting neither i nor my friend have ABS option or tracion control or sunroof, or the remote locking feature.

Also - be reminded that most of the electronic systems are not KIA specifi items. The standard cruise control module is clearly marked " DELHPI Electronics".

Be usre to raise your tire pressure if you have to KUMHO tires , to 40-44 PSI. This is the reccomended pressure from the sidewall of the tire. I have been doing that for a year now and it has helped greatly.

Enjoy your van and relax, your going to have smooth sailing now.
    Sean
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    The tire pressure molded on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM pressure that the particular tire is rated for. It is not the pressure to set the tire at. Follow the manufacturers recommendation. They establish tire ratings to most effectively balance wear, handling and comfort.
This discussion has been closed.