Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I HAVE traded. Scroll up a few posts (417 I think) and you will see that I traded for $6560.00. ( I was thinking I ought to be able to trade for around $7000.00, and I actually did a little better than that. ).

I ordered from the factory, so I don't have my Jeep yet.

tsjay
  • ttt6ttt6 Member Posts: 11
    tsjay - I'm not sure about your 'buyers market' comment on the TJ. When I started my research I notice DC does ABSOULTELY NOTHING to move TJs ie no low APRs, cash backs, enticing leases, incentives nada zilch. (they gave a no charge Auto which is a 3 speed, yes we're in 2001 and they're pushing 3 speed autos which they been making since 1945 (trying to be funny) AND it cost them NOTHING to put in the TJ)

I anticipated sales during the holidays ie Labor Day / End of Summer gimmicks etc yet NOTHING on the TJ why?...

Basically DC has the monolopy on the fun small 4WD market. THERES no competition SO they can stick it to the loyal Jeepers. $22,000 buys LOTS of car yet the Jeep is rather spartan. The TJ uses simple basic engineering principles for assembly HECK I can slap one of these together in my garage (again trying to be funny BUT I'm not laughing) - Dealer says they sell themselves and YES you can buy close to invoice. BUT I can't shake the feeling that DC is sticking it to us. DAMN DC!

Like you I am in lust, my fantasy is a yellow Sport with all the fix'ins, black hard top, 30" canyon casts BUT for this price I expect darn near perfection because WHERE does the money GO??? engineering? rare exotic parts? NOT. I am anticipating that after paying $20,000+ my TJ will give me problems and thats not acceptable.
    I know that DC isn't giving any incentives, but the dealers ought to be glad to move some Jeeps and get their money into some other vehicle that will sell faster. This should mean that you can find a dealer willing to give you a decent trade-in allowance and sell the Jeep very close to invoice. That's what I found after shopping around a little ($200.00 over invoice on the Wrangler and $1000.00 over "average trade-in" on my Grand Prix).

There can be no question that the Jeeps are grossly over-priced. The Jeep I have ordered is sticker priced within $350.00 of the sticker price of my Grand Prix GT. There's a world of difference in what you get with the Grand Prix vs. the Jeep. Crap, I got leather interior and an OVERDRIVE automatic transmission (not the three speed that Jeep offers). My Jeep will be a 5-speed.

But, I want a Jeep and I'm willing to pay the price. I'm hoping that driving a Jeep will be the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. It better be for that kind of money.

As far as quality, I am expecting a good vehicle. I don't think buying a Jeep necessarily means you have to settle for poor quality. There doesn't seem to be an abundance of dissatisfied owners in this group. I'm sure we would hear from people if they were unhappy.

You just have to decide for yourself if having a Jeep is worth the price. The vehicle itself sure isn't worth what they charge for them.

tsjay
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    tsjay-
    I am a quality engineer for an automotive supplier and I have no concerns at all with my TJ. I look at many body panels regularly in our plant as well as in many assembly plants and I think my TJ is very well made. The paint job is very good and the gap/flushness of all the body panels is excellent.
    That makes me feel good!

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the quality of the Wrangler, and hearing from you makes me feel even better.

I wouldn't have ordered one if I thought I was going to get a piece of crap.

tsjay
  • villagodvillagod Member Posts: 1
    Where can I buy my spouse a wheel cover that has the Jeep logo and a Jeep key chain?

TIA
  • chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    TSJAY:

What is going on with the closing of the Jeep factory? I thought they were closing for 2 weeks between Christmas and New Years. At this rate my Jeep will never get built. I ordered it the last weekend of Oct. I called the Jeep number with my VON and they told me it would be built the 2nd week of December. I think its those damn Germans putting the screws to us. Didn't we beat them in a war a few years ago.. How do they end up running the show???( that was suppose to be funny) I am going to have a hard time waiting any longer.....
  • sajeepsajeep Member Posts: 4
    Well although I haven't posted much I gotta tell you folks that everything about this topic has been educational and a big help. I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you what I got:)
    I got a completely redone from ground up CJ-7
    the only original Jeep parts are the body.
    It's got a high performance 327 bored to a 383
    with lockers a nine bolt main in back and a dana 40 up front custom solid axles custom drive shafts 3" lift dual quad holley manifold and carb. bump shift automatic headers glass packs and dual exhaust. I know these specs don't mean much to some but you rock climbers are having trouble not dribbling on your keyboards about now. When I go from Park to drive you best have a foot on the brake cause those 300 horses will roll rubber off the 32-12.5's before you even touch the gas. Well I know I'm in for some nasty surprises because I didn't build it I bought it but You really gotta here this thing pulling 40% grades over 2-foot rock steps to appreciate the power of a V8 under the hood. Well I think I'm gonna go drive this thing around while I still have money for gas cause the mileage ain't pretty.
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    Wheel cover & key chain...that should be no problem to find.

look up "jeep essentials" in any search engine and you will be able to buy online or order a catalog.

Al

www.angelfire.com/geek/jeep/
    The plant shutdown is for this week. Apparently it is due to slow sales and too many Jeeps in inventories around the country.

They will still take the two week shutdown at Christmas as far as I know (unless they make it even longer due to low sales).

According to my dealer, who supposedly gets better information than we do when we call the 800 number, my Jeep was supposed to be made tomorrow originally, but will now be made a week from tomorrow. That makes sense, since the shut down is one week long.

So, I still ought to beat the Christmas shutdown. My Jeep should be shipped the 5th of December and arrive within a week or two after that. My dealer just checked the status of my Jeep today.

It looks like the shutdown simply delayed things for me by one week.

tsjay
  • vubsvubs Member Posts: 14
    i was looking at a '01 white/tan sahara and guess what... i saw underlying rust at weld joints on the door. that was my 2nd choice but now it's out (at least you won't see rust clearly on a sienna).

question about invoice $. i know what kbb, edmunds and others list (20748 w/dest), but how come the dealers always have a higher number claiming theirs is current? several here have mentioned getting deals for $200 over invoice but $200 over what? just curious. has anyone out there gotten a jeep from CarMax (good/bad)?
    Well its official! My Jeep is in route! It will arrive here December 2nd. I cant believe it was built so quickly. Jeep told me it wasn't scheduled to be built till the 2nd week of December. I'll keep you posted on the arrival of the vehicle...
    Well all my Jeep was assembled on Thanksgiving Day. I hope the people assembling my Jeep were thankfull for their triple time pay and put my Jeep together properly... I had a question but I cant seem to remember it right now....Oh well maybe after I get back from School.....
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    The dealer will have the latest numbers for an invoice. They are the first ones to get any changes. I would print out a copy of the invoice from here or a bank/credit union and then get a copy of the invoice from the dealer and compare them. Then you can see where the changes are.
    The invoice numbers should not change that often but they do change.
    When someone says 200 over invoice they mean 200 over 20748 (the invoice price you have listed).
    So 20948 + tax, title & license
    Hope that helps
    My baby is supposed to be built one week from today! I hope there are no complications or delays of any kind.

Still looking for suggestions for a new user name to go along with my new Jeep. Help me, brothers and sisters.

tsjay
  • benjaminchoibenjaminchoi Member Posts: 10
    Please give me the ideal Jeep '01 Sport setup.

-Dual tops
    -Dana 44
    -Full metal doors
    -deep tint
    -best stereo combo
    -canyon wheels...

anything else? How much should I be paying for this thing? Seattle area........thanks.
    One thing that Goducks1 says is a good option for ice and snow is the "trac lok." Since you are already getting the Dana 44 3.73 rear end, it only costs $285.00 to add the trac lok feature.

I was too late in getting this info and had already ordered my Jeep, so I won't be getting it. I could have changed my order, but it would have delayed my Jeep in being built, so I decided to live without it.

Also, I hope you are not expecting much out of that stereo. You have to get the "best" sound system in a Jeep just to have a very mediocre sound system (and that's being kind).

What color are you getting?

I LOVE your choice of wheels! Those canyons are beautiful. My baby is going to have them.

I paid $200.00 over invoice for my Jeep, and that's as good as I have heard anyone do in this group. You can try for a better deal, though, cause the Jeeps aren't selling well. They even shut the plant down for a week due to low sales.

tsjay
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    My wife and I are the owners of a 1999 SE and 2000 Sport Wrangler. We bought the 99 new 1.5 years ago. It has been in the shop several times and is about to go back in. The Jeep has never been off road and has been babied. The problems it has had are, 1.) Weather strips torn, 2.) Water coming from floor 3.) Window washer leaked on hood all the time 4.) Front end came from factory out of balance 5.) Warped front rotors and now 5.) Leaks anti-freeze from the radiator and is leaking power steering fluid. This is all from a bone stock never abused street driven Jeep Wrangler.
    The 2000 we have had for 4 months. It's problems include 1.) Torn weather stripping,2.) Lights did not work. 3.0 3.) 5spd transmission is noisy and very hard to shift 4.) 5.) Has recently not wanted to start in the mornings, sometimes takes up to 2 minutes.
    I just would like you to know that I have driven Jeeps most of my life, I have 2 Willys's Jeeps and used to have a 1985 CJ7 Laredo. I am a fan of the Jeep, but this is changing. If I were looking at buying a Jeep Wrangler, I would look at it very closely, drive it at least 24 hours before buying it and then think some more. These vehicles are noisy, rough riding, squirrly handling, water leaking, and lately mechanically flawed vehicles, but that is what makes them Jeep Wranglers. If you are buying one thinking that this is going to be comfortable on long road trips, mileage will be good, and it will never give you a problem, DO NOT BUY ONE. If you are looking for something to haul the family around in and is easy to pick things up from the store in, DO NOT BUT ONE. If you are looking for a fun little vehicle, that will need to be worked on, can become a convertible, can go darn near everywhere and can be modified to your hearts content, then by all means BUY ONE.
    The point is, these are like no other car on the road today. They are from another era and that is why most Jeep owners have them. We are able to overlook the problems because we enjoy them for the good and bad. But, do not expect it to be quiet , dry, smooth, roomy and userfriendly, because they are not in the least. I would have it no other way, I love my 2 pieces of junk and would not trade them for anything.
    It's a Jeep thing, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    back home again after a week in SoCal..didn't have my Jeep, but the girlfriend has a convertible Mustang, so I got lots of sun.

Kudos to the previous post on pointing out the drawbacks of Wrangler/CJ ownership. I think that people considering a new Wrangler need to be aware that although the new TJs are a great improvement, there are a lot of things to put up with as an owner, esp if this is your primary set of wheels. I haven't had the mechanical problems on my '98 Sport though-only one thing that needed to be fixed under warranty (the gauge thing, scroll back a bit on this post to see).

benjaminchoi: Trak-lok is a good option, but make sure you get A/C, even if you live in the Northwest (I do too). You will need it sometimes, trust me.

My Jeep is at the 4x4 shop today, I'm adding front and rear tow hooks and black Smittbilt tubular side-steps (aka nerf bars). Will be getting new tires next week (30" BFG All-terrains). Whoo-ho! Mebbe I'll post some pictures.
    Excellent post. If I go the Jeep route, I go with a stripped SE 5 speed. This way if I get buyers remorse or a lemon, I won't be in too deep. The TJ will be a second car, for quickie errands, joyriding, and light off-roading.

goducks1 HAHA I'm in the same situation (sort of) my other car is a Stang convertible. I hope the TJ will compliment my Ford.
    An SE with a 5 spd will be perfect for your expectations. The 4 cyl is a great little power plant that will give you plenty of excitement. It does great and is just as much fun in town as the Sport. The only place the SE shows its weakness is on the highway. On hills or against a strong headwind, the 4 just does not quite have enough power to keep up with the flow of traffic, but for quickie errands, joyriding and light off-roading it will be perfect. My wife and I take turns driving the 2 Jeeps and I enjoy the SE just as much as the Sport. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and know what you want out of a Jeep, so buy and enjoy.
  • kevinvsrkevinvsr Member Posts: 12
    After few weeks with my new Sport, no complaints. I love my Jeep! But its not perfect. "Onlyinajeep" said it perfectly. Other than mechanical failure, I have begun to notice the little quirks. And yet I love it. Its a Jeep thing!

The ride is choppy and noisy. The seat is comfortable, but driving position is cramped. I commute 40 miles round-trip, and IMO that would be the limit (unless its a long trip to get to a mud hole!) Gas mileage is on par with my Tahoe. First tank was 15.4 MPG, mostly city. Build quality is ok. I have noticed some rattles, loose fittings, paint imperfections, and some bad bolts on the hard top. And that 5 speed! Wow, sounds like a bad refrigerator when the clutch is out. Weird. Its a rough shifter too, but I remember that from a first year Grand Cherokee I had with rare 5 speed.

But it has merits too. The pickup is great with the I6, and it darts in and out of city streets really well. I can park this thing anywhere, love size and visibility. Besides, I'm not a fan of any highway commute, even if I was driving a Lexus. I bought this baby to get away from the asphalt, not to cruise in it. And its our 2nd car, we have a loaded minivan for a cruiser.

So to date I give my Jeep a B, hoping to up the grade when I can go off-road and topless. And I am excited about going to my first Jamboree in June (Kentucky). Hope to see some of you Jeepers there!

Kevin
  • abbdabbd Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE BEEN READING THESE POSTS FOR THE LAST 2 MONTHS, TRYING TO DECIDE IF I SHOULD TRADE IN MY 97 SEBRING CONVERTIBLE (23,000KM'S ORDERED NEW)FOR A LOADED TJ SPORT. I WOULD BE USING IT JUST AROUND TOWN (UP IN ONTARIO) SINCE I ALSO HAVE A FAMILY VAN. I TRIED OUT THE SPORT IN A HARD TOP AND FOUND IT TO BE QUITE REASONABLE, BUT TO DATE I HAVE NOT FOUND A SOFT TOP TO DRIVE.
    MY QUESTION...I REALIZE THERE IS THE "ITS A JEEP" THATS WHY I LOVE IT KIND OF OUTLOOK, BUT...IS IT DEPENDABLE ENOUGH, AND WHAT REALLY IS THE RIDE LIKE WITH THE SOFT TOP ON (A 2001). I BOUGHT A MIATA WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT, AND I KNOW WHAT THE FUN FACTOR IS LIKE, ALTHOUGH THE TJ IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF FUN (OR IS IT REALLY THE SAME, BUT DIFFERENT?). I HAVE FOUND A STEEL BLUE ONE IN TORONTO THAT I AM GOING TO LOOK AT, ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    THANK YOU,
    I have had an MGB for 16 years and the experience between the Jeeps and MG is similar. It is a love/hate relationship. It can be a lot of fun and sometimes it can make you wonder why you put up with such a vehicle. I like Jeeps, so I am willing to overlook the problems and inconviences, but some people can not. Most people buy a Jeep Wrangler as a second vehicle, because of the limits that the Jeep has, but others such as myself have Jeeps as my daily driver. Keep in mind, I do not have a large family and I do not make many long trips. I recently took my 2000 Sport on a 550 mile each way trip to Colorado. The trip there and back was pure hell, but the time there was terrific. The top was off the entire time and the mountains were beautiful, you cannot truley experience Colorado inside a car, you have to be topless. Anyway, a Jeep is NOTHING like a Sebring and they cannot be compared. The Jeep is noisy, sometimes wet, bumpy, and cramped, but I would have it no other way. You really have to spend time in a Jeep to decide if it is right for you. A 20 minute test drive is not enough. Many people buy thim with just a short test drive and find out they can not stand the Jeep, this is why you see so many late model ones on used car lots, not to mention the high insurance costs. But hey, if you have taken all of this into consideration and still want one, you are hooked like I am and will be happy with your purchase.
  • limerencelimerence Member Posts: 4
    hi everyone,
    i don't know anything about cars and i'm planning to buy a wrangler but have no idea what to look for. i dont even know what the differences between the Sport and Sahara are. But the main thing i'm looking for is the 30' tire/wheel group, manual transmission, and ABS brakes. but for some reason when i try to select this at all the online car quote sites like carsdirect, greenlight, etc. it says i can't. any way around this guys? also, how is the automatic transmission on the new model wranglers?
  • pretzeldude66pretzeldude66 Member Posts: 9
    Hey, I was wondering if i could get some opinions one some things from some owners. I am deciding between a 97 or 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 or Wrangler Sport, either with 5speed. I am going to college next year and would like a fun car with some offroad capability. Please give me some pros and cons for these two vehicles. I dont mind the rough ride or noisiness.
    Thanks, Jeff
    I don't really care about practicality at this point in life. Will be graduating soon and am looking for my first car. I definitely want an open top car.

Thanks for the input TJSAY and Goducks. I test drove a Jeep a few months ago and remember it being a unique experience sitting up so high and having everything so not Hondaish.

Is the top down summer mode worth the pain it can cause with reliability issues, horrible gas mileage, etc.?
    Although I have never owned a Wrangler, I believe I sort of understand the "Jeep thing." I want a vehicle that I can actually sort of "bond" with, sort of an emotional attachment.

I now own a 2000 Grand Prix GT that has been a "perfect" car for the first 19,600 miles. It has not been back to the dealer for even one little adjustment or repair. It is great-looking, very peppy, and gets really good gas mileage. It is totally practical for my needs. Although this car has been all anyone could hope for, I don't have any "affection" for it. I respect the car, and I do hope that someone who takes good care of a car will buy her, but it won't be painful to let her go.

I am hoping that I will love the Wrangler Sport I have ordered so much that they will have to bury me in it! Waiting for her to be built, shipped, and delivered is killing me.

I am pretty sure that I can handle the rough ride, the wind noise, the road noise, and maybe a leak or two, but I am NOT expecting mechanical trouble. This will be my only vehicle, and I absolutely have to be able to count on her to get me to work and to behave herself on business trips. How common are serious mechanical problems? I sure haven't seen many negative posts in the last several months that I have been visiting this group.

tsjay
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    ttt6
    Make sure you read OnlyinaJeep's post. The best description I have ever read about a 4 banger

Kevinvsr
    I agree with most of your comments but for me the driving position is not cramped and I can handle long road trips in my Jeep. I have taken lots of long trips in my Jeep and will in the future.

abbd
    Overall I think Jeeps are dependable. Not all Jeeps are having problems and the Jeeps having the problems are still driveable. The new soft tops are suppose to have 50% noise reduction. I am not sure if I would go with the soft top only option in Canada. Please don't let me see you comparing a miata to Jeep again :)

OnlyinaJeep
    I have been to CO twice in my Jeep. It is around 1000 miles round trip. I am planning to go 2 more times next year. The trip there and back was not bad at all for me. Did you have the top down on the drive there and back. Any extended trip with the top down on the highway will be hell. I would have the top up or if you only have the hardtop, then use a bikini top with doors.

limerence
    ABS brakes are not available with the 30" tire group. I have not heard of any mechanical problems with the auto. The gas mileage is not as good as the manual and the power is not as good.

pretzeldude66
    Probably the biggest difference between the two is passenger space and storage room.

benjaminchoi & tsjay
    reliability and serious mechanical problems
    Jeeps do have problems but I think Jeeps are reliable. The problems you have heard about on here do not cause the Jeep to be undriveable. Of course if your Jeep is always at the dealer for repairs you can't exactly drive it.
    Yes it is worth it benjaminchoi

My Jeep does not have any leaks so far. If anyone is keep count.
    Just giving my .02. Hope it helps
    I would like to tell you that you will never have a problem with your future Jeep, but I can not. If you look at most auto reliability charts, Jeeps do not score very well. This does not mean they are not a good vehicle to own, but they may not be the perfect vehicle for a person who is going to use it as their daily driver and has no second car or mechanical experience.
    I am lucky, that I, 1.) Have a backup automobile to drive, so that we have a way to get around when one Jeep is in the shop. 2.) I have a great Jeep service department to go to when my Jeeps do break down. and 3.) I have a experience with Jeeps so that I am able to diagnose most problems and fix the ones that do not need to be covered by warranty work. Jeeps are not for everyone.
    I tell friends and family that are interested in one that they are a lot like a puppy. They are cute at first and you can't help but want one. But, as time goes on, they start to develop a personality and this personality that at first seemed so cute, can drive some people crazy and lead to serious buyers remorse. I can't emphasize enough that a person wanting a Jeep should test one for at least 24 hours before purchasing. I long test drive at highway speeds is a MUST, especially with a soft top. If you can not stand road noise or instability from strong cross winds, then you should not consider a Jeep. The short wheelbase also comes into play. Driving a Jeep at highway speeds is nothing like a car. Over compensation when steering a car usually leads to a lane change, but in a Jeep it can easily lead to a rollover. You have to stay on your toes when driving a Jeep on the highway, especially if you have strong crosswinds. After a while, many people tire of climbing in and out of a Jeep, especially older folks. I know from experience that older family members of mine can not get in and out of my Jeep and it is stock, so if you ever take people with you, you have to take this fact into consideration.
    Also, the security of a soft top Jeep is none. You are basically driving a tent on wheels, so if you are used to leaving valuables in your car, then you are not going to have them much longer because they will be stolen. This is just a fact, they will either unzip your windows if they are nice, or take a knife a cut your Jeep open like a pumpkin if they are typical.
    So, these are some things to take into consideration. I am not trying to talk you out of a Jeep, we have bought 2 in the last year, but I am used to them and knew what to expect. If you have any more questions or comments, please let me know.
    What's the rate of holding value? Better than a Civic?
    The trip I took to Colorado was for 2 weeks, so you can imagine all the stuff we had piled in the Jeep. I took the back seat out to make more room and built a shelf that covered the entire back so we could layer our junk. I have a soft top with half doors and was it loud.
    The wind was blowing 30mph + the whole time and we could not hear ourselves think. On the trip, we ended up using hand signals to talk to each other, so that we did not have to yell. I could not believe how bad the upper half windows flex in strong crosswinds. I could put my hand through the gap at times it was so flexed. When we left Kansas into Colorado, the head winds started up and the gas mileage went from poor to non-existent.
    While in Colorado, it was great. We took the top down the entire time. We went to the top of Pikes Peak topless and all over central Colorado. The views were spectacular and time spent out there was unforgettable.
    On the trip back, we bought ear plugs so that we would not get the headaches we had on the way out. The wind was still blowing hard so they were a much needed item. I will still have to hold my position that the trip there and back was hell, but keep in mind that we will be doing it again next year. 8 hours in a windtunnel is worth the fun and beauty that a Jeep offers in the great state of Colorado.
    Haha, you must be a complex person (a compliment:) you definitely have a love/hate Jeep relationship. Your analogys ie 'puppy' and 'tent on wheels' are witty and easy to grasp. Some of your negative descriptions are quite scarry yet bittersweet.

Reading your real world Jeep experience is like the next best/worst thing to owning one. touchè
  • krankitkrankit Member Posts: 6
    You make some good points about Jeep ownership. I've owned my 2001 Sport for about 3 months and have found much of what you say to be true. I'm really glad I got the dual-top option because I find the hardtop and hard doors really cut down on wind-noise and also add a lot to security. I put up a hoist in my garage so I can take the top off in about five minutes by myself.
    I learned last week about how unstable Jeeps can be in strong cross winds. If you're not careful, you'll quickly end up in another lane. It's definitely not a good idea to drive 70 in high winds.
    Overall, however, I'm quite pleased with how solid it feels most of the time. There are a few quirks. The thing that bothers me the most is having my left arm jammed against the door - there really isn't a whole lot of room. And don't get me started about the gas mileage.
    I checked this board for months while I was researching buying a Jeep. I almost changed my mind because of some of the negative posts, but realized that the urge to buy one would not go away until I owned one. I figured that if I hated it, I could always sell it. It doesn't look like that's going to happen...
    I'm also thinking of driving out to Colorado in the spring. For me it would be a whopping 1200 miles! Last time I drove up Pikes Peak I was in a Saturn (hey, it was a good car) and I'm looking forward to driving to the top in my Jeep.
    I agree w/"onlyinajeep" on all counts--long trips with a soft top Jeep are a deafening, bumpy, paranoid-my-stuff-will-get-stolen exercise in masochism. Stick with the hard top for road trips. Regardless, you will love your Jeep around town, and hate it on long drives.

benjaminchoi: Wranglers are probably the BEST vehicle on the market for holding their value, even better than a Civic.
  • fastal1fastal1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is my first time at the site, and I've read through the complaints about noise.

I personally love the TJ, but they can be a bit noisy. Mine is a hard top, and there is still a flaw in the design that lets an irritating draft in through the middle of the top-to-windshield seal. I finally got fed up and realized a painfully simple fix: I took a roll of electrical tape, and taped over the seal from the outside. Since the top is black, and the frame is yellow, you can't even tell the tape is there, and the problem is 100% eliminated.

Then, with that noise out of the way, I now noticed the excessive road noise. A jeep is exactly the same as any car would be without insulation. Think about it, you have a 1/4" slab of indoor/outdoor carpet, compared to 3/8" carpet plus a 1/2" insulation pad in a car. The beauty of the jeep is that the carpets lift out easily to wash out the floor. This makes for a simple fix: Go to any upholstery shop and buy enough insulation to cover the entire floor. (It cost me about $25) The result, for $25 and about 4 hours work, is a jeep that is as quiet as my wife's Accord!

In a nutshell, Jeeps are a vehicle that you'll want to modify and personalize. Don't overlook the fact that you modify the comfort level as well!

P.S. Disregard all of this if you have a soft top! 1000 cans of starch couldn't make one quiet :)
  • 17751775 Member Posts: 3
    This my first time at this site and I had some questions. I read a lot of the posting's in relation to mechanical problem's, however I haven't read any certain problems. I was wondering what kind's of problems are out there. I'm wondering about getting the sport model and as far as my trips to work will be pretty short. I was also told by a salesperson at a recent auto show that you could not get the dana 44 and also have ABS. Is this true?. I currently live in Florida but will be moving up north where there will be snow. If this is true I don't see the advantage of getting the rear axle if you can't stop safely. I would also order the dual top option. Another question for those of you who had engine as well as other problems how was your experince over all with the dealerships?. Your input would be very helpful.
    I have my first ever Jeep Wrangler on order, so I can't help you with any Wrangler experience, but I can tell you that the dealer can make all the difference in the world as far as your satisfaction with a vehicle.

I had a new '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 X 4 that had some problems, but the dealer took care of them efficiently and without hassle. It wasn't even the dealer where I bought it, but they treated me like I had bought a dozen vehicles from them.

tsjay
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    I'm starting to get my jeep ready for some serious offroading. Where can I find some cheap(but good) skid plates for the gas tank, steering box and engine? Thanks,
    Alee and Sparx
    Get your baby yet? You said you were expecting her the 2nd (yesterday). Did she come in?

My baby is supposed to be born Tuesday. Two more days! Then a week or two to get here. The waiting is killing me!

tsjay
    People, the Toledo plant where the Wranglers are made is scheduled to be down the week of the 18th because of high inventories. They were down this past week for the same reason. That's when my Jeep was originally scheduled for assembly (Nov. 28th).

I sure hope she gets built this week!

Besides the week of the 18th, there's the usual week shut down for the holidays, then there are some rumblings that some of the Chrysler plants might be down the week after that!

tsjay
    Nope. I called the 800 number and they said it would arrive in NY on Dec 1st, but no luck. I called the CSX phone number and they also said it would be in NY the 1st. Oh well the waiting is killing me. I am going to give them a call tonight and see what the deal is..
    Sorry to hear about the plant shutting down, what is going on with DC? If they would give some incentives to buy Wranglers they wouldn't have em sitting in the lots. I think the Germans are killing Chrysler. I hope they dont do what the guys at BMW did to the Rover. They stole years of automotive enginering from the British and then ran the company into the ground till Ford bought it. Well I'm babbling.....
    Hope you get your Jeep born soon....
    Sorry you haven't seen your baby yet! Hope it won't be long. Too bad you had to depend on rail service. That shouldn't be a factor for me, living only 8 hours from Toledo.

tsjay
    You're right on the money about my being "eaten up with the Jeep bug." I have been trying to buy one for months now. I just didn't think it was ever going to happen or at least not for a couple years anyway. I finally couldn't stand it any more and got a pre-approved home equity loan to pay off some of the debt on the Grand Prix. When she comes in, I'll have the money waiting at my local bank to pay off most or all of the difference between trade-in allowance and payoff on the Grand Prix.

I have extended myself financially many times in the past with all of my car trading, but this is absolutely the furthest I have ever stuck my neck out to purchase a vehicle.

This Jeep will have to be with me for a long, long time, so I hope she is a good one.

Noise I can handle, but doesn't that transmission noise indicate that some parts are rubbing together and wearing in a way that isn't good?

I am not expecting a Cadillac, but the Jeep is going to have to get me to work and back and be dependable on my business trips. Let her be noisy, rough-riding, wind-sensitive, leaky, or whatever, but I need her to start every time and to get me to my destination.

Will Jeeps do that?

tsjay
    I'm confused, but I guess it's none of my business anyway. Your profile says that you live near Las Vegas, but your post says the Jeep is on its way to NY (New York?).

tsjay
    Howdy!

Where in Ky. is the Jamboree and when?

I live in western Ky. and I might be interested in going to it.

tsjay
  • wleekewleeke Member Posts: 13
    It's really a shame that I can't seem to locate a dealer in my area that is educated in the items they sell...especially when it comes to such big ticket items. For the life of me, I can't understand how a clerk at Walmart can tell me all the ends & outs of a $10 can opener, but a auto salesman can't hardly answer my questions regarding a $25K purchase....whew! Now, I've vented.....I need a little help from some of you please.
    I'm putting together figures & data to order a 2001 Wrangler Sport. I'm getting confused on a few issues, having never purchased a jeep before.
    1) Regarding the Canyon 30" Tire & Wheel Group...I desire this because I have read that the wheel itself is one of the most attractive available. Also I want the larger tire to get that more sporty look. Would these be good reasons based of those of you with experience?
    2) In ordering the Canyon 30" group, which axle ratio would be preferred? And ABS is NOT available with the 30" group? And finally, what about the rear trac-lok differential? By the way, I would be ordering the automatic.
    3) I'm will definitely be ordering the dual tops, especially after following some of the post on here (thanks for that) but I am concerned about something. If both tops are coming in, does that also mean both sets of doors are coming with them? I'm kinda unsure of the "look" with the top off and full doors attached. Do they ship 1/2 doors along with the dual top selection?
    4) If you order the dual tops, do they automatically come with the deep tinted windows or do you add the cost of that in addition to the cost of the dual tops? And speaking of the dual tops....and I hope I haven't missed something and sound stupid here....all info indicates jeeps come standard with a soft top without increasing the base price. Now, if you order a hard top it runs (retail) $920.00, but if you order the dual top group it runs (retail) $1800. What did I miss there? (I just know somebody's laughing right now)
    5) This is the last question (for this post anyway)...in ordering a 2001 model is the automatic transmission free? I saw this in several car sites, and one even deducts it as I put in my options. But another says it's for 2000 models only. What gives.
    Any and all info you guys can help me with would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to getting into a jeep (so much so, that I'm going from a Lincoln Navigator to it) but I'm also anal about getting to know what I'm spending my money on. Someday there will be a auto salesman that will sit down and be able to answer all my questions forthright...until then......I'll depend on people like you :)
    Lots of questions, lots of answers:
    1)the 30" wheels are nice looking, but I think the Grizzly rims look better. The 30" Goodyears are inferior to a lot of other brands you could buy for comparable $$; I just bought 30" BF Goodrich A/Ts that many people seem to prefer. So the choice is yours.
    2)ABS is not available with the Dana 44 axle. I don't know if the Dana 44 is required for the 30" tires and can't figure it out from Edmunds description either. Check out Kelly's Blue Book.
    3)you only get the full doors with the dual top option, but you can buy matching two piece soft doors from Bestop aftermarket for under $300 if that helps.
    4)you've got the math right here though your #s are a bit inflated. Naturally it costs more to get both tops than either one alone.
    5)the auto does not appear to be free at this time. I also STRONGLY advise against getting this particular automatic transmission, see the above posts. Both of the available transmissions need serious upgrading by DC, but the automatic transmission has no overdrive(!). If you feel comfortable with the poor gas mileage and wear of your engine spinning at 3500 RPMs on the highway, then go for it. I don't.
    Most Jeep owners seem to know far more than the salesmen we buy from. I had to walk mine through the ordering process myself.
  • truebelievertruebeliever Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the candid discussion the last few days. Based on your recommendation I tried to rent a Jeep. Called every rental place in D.C. area and couldn't find any Wranglers to rent. One dealer did let me take one out for about three hours. Not so noisy I can't tolerate it.
    Found out you can't get ABS or Trac-Lock if you don't get the 3.73 axle ratio. Do not plan on taking my Jeep off-road much. (Please don't throw stones.) Have heard the 3.07 axle ratio gets better gas mileage. Would guess it would allow for slightly better top end performance on the road. Am I right? Can you tell a difference between the two when you are driving them?

Thanks.
    On your question of my Jeep shipped to NY, I am a resident of Henderson (Las Vegas Suburb), Nevada, but I attend the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park NY. My car I drive now, (For a few more days I hope) is a beat up VW Cabriolet and I need a new vehicle to take me across the country when I graduate in January. I'm really looking forward to having a Jeep again. My last one was a 1994 Sahara. Also looking forward to moving back home and getting out of this cold weather....