Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Robert,

Congrats on the new Minivan! Be sure to share your purchase experience with us. What color did you go with?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • xvrmxvrm Member Posts: 10
    Craig,

Purchased '04 Sedona LX, Base (no options), in Sage Green. From some angles it looks like it belongs in an Army motor pool ... but I truly love this vehicle. 7900 miles so far. Vehicle drives/rides like a dream. Read that some versions of '05 Odyssey are going for $38000. For that money, I'd have TWO copies of my van, gas and insurance for a year, and cash left over for a vacation in the Bahamas. Are we Sedona owners smart shoppers or what??!!

Robt.
    '04 Sedona LX
    Robert,

We have the Sage green as well...NICE CHOICE!!!!

Time will truly tell with the Sedona but by early indications of Sedona owners with 50 to 75,000 miles it appears positive.

I've been buying Hyundai's since '88(bought an excel when I was in College) and we got 150,000 miles from that car and it still worked before we sold it. Considering the powertrain in our Sedona is all Hyundai(Mitsubishi design), I have no doubt this thing will last.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • soonergalsoonergal Member Posts: 2
    We also have a 02 Sedona with almost 60k. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the battery. However, the problem did not go away. What did the dealer tell you?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    how long have you had your Sedona? When did your dealer replace the battery-- just recently, with your van at nearly 60k miles? That's good service if they replaced a 2+ year old, 60k mile battery free.
  • soonergalsoonergal Member Posts: 2
    I agree. However, it did not solve the problem. Our brake and warning lights come on every now and then. They can't seem to find the problem. They say it is not the alternator but that seems hard to believe. We just had the brakes fixed 6 months ago but we're getting them checked again.
  • fletch1fletch1 Member Posts: 1
    Craig, I'm having quite a lot of paint problems on the front end, chips and paint flaking off the bumper. Going to dealer soon. Will reply back.
  • ezyone4uezyone4u Member Posts: 5
    we have an 04 sedona ex with 2500 miles on it and have had a problem with the steering pulsing left to right. taken to dealer for them to tell us they can not duplicate problem. vehicle came with hankook tires. at last visit to dealer they reduced air pressure to 30 psi and rebalanced tires and problem still comes and goes. any suggestions? i don't have any working knowledge of that brand of tire.

blower motor is now making a humming noise when turned on have not taken to dealer for this problem yet. can anyone tell me what this may be to help dealer with fix.

also, bought vehicle with abs now getting a strong vibration when having to apply brakes from highway deceleration and peddle feedback seems excessive. anyone else having this problem got any suggestions as to cause before i return to dealer.

other minor problems such as turn signal switch had to be replaced and recliner handle on 2nd row captain chair had to be replaced with no problem.

ezyone4u
    EZ,

I think you have bad front brake rotors. When they are not true(perfectly flat) they have a tendency to cause the brake pedal to pulsate in addition to making the steering wheel occilate.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • sedonasorentosedonasorento Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone had problems with their transmission not engaging? Last Friday evening, I backed my wife's Sedona out of the garage, then put in drive to pull over so she could get in -- the transmission would not shift into drive. Tried 2nd gear, tried low gear, tried disengaging the overdrive, nothing. Tried again later in the evening - car went into drive. I stopped, reversed, and put it back into drive. Nothing. Shut it off and restarted, and it went into drive and I was able to pull back into the garage. The van has been towed to the dealer, and of course its running fine for them, with no error codes. Any ideas or previous experiences similar to this?
  • busygalbusygal Member Posts: 3
    Hello to all. I have a 2004 EX Sedona, 14k miles. I just noticed that my rear defrost is not working - not a good thing as we just got 16 inches of snow! The button will push in, but not "stick". Has anyone ever had this problem before? Guess I'll have to take it to the dealer.
  • ezyone4uezyone4u Member Posts: 5
    that is what i was thinking as we had a similar problem with our 2001 malibu from the lugnuts being put on too tight (place where we were having tires rotated were not using torque wrench, just torque gun). had the rotors and pads replaced and now rides like a new car again, but was apprehensive to think that this would be the problem with a brand new vehicle. do you think i should have it checked by an outside source before i return to dealer to validate that being the cause before i get the run around by the service tech?
    EZ,

I dont think its neccessary to bring your van to another shop simply for a validation. Dealers dont like to be "told" what to replace.....Your best approach is to describe all symptoms exactly. I have had tremendous success offering to buy the service manager lunch. They have never took me up on the offer but the gesger goes a long way. If he or she turns you down simply ask what kind of soda they like....Buy 'em one from the vending machine....They will remember you I promise. After they claim the repair is done, ask for the service manager to go with you on a short test ride to confirm the repairs are done to your satisfaction.

Let us know OK?

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • rmkiasrmkias Member Posts: 1
    I have had this happening to my Sedona (2002) twice so far. My suspected it was not engaging in drive because of the extreme cold here (around -15F with the wind chill). When I pushed on the gas a bit more and held it down for a while, it does shift eventually...takes a few seconds. Is it very cold where you are at? Did you find out anything more about this problem? If you have, please let me know. Thanks!
  • grumpyguycdngrumpyguycdn Member Posts: 31
    Hello all,

Just bought a 2005 Sedona EX (500 km on it as I write this). Not knowing the car and never having owned a Kia I have questions I am hoping you as experienced owners can help with:

1) Anyone have a ticking sound from the engine on start? It seems to go away after awhile.

2)At idle and in gear I have two odd sounds that are very noticeable inside the van. One is the alternator (I know it's the alternator because the whine from it changes as I increase and decrease the load on it)and the noise comes from the right side of the engine. The second is a LOUD tranny pump coming from the left side of the engine (again the noise is noticeable when in gear but not in park or neutral). It's a chugging sort of noise.

3) The front suspension makes a "tock tock" sound when going over undulations in the road. Not when I do over real bumps, but something like a wave in the pavement. The car is fine over large bumps, handles well and feels tight otherwise.

4) Did your gas mileage get better after the engine was broken in (I hope)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    RMKIAS wrote:

I have had this happening to my Sedona (2002)twice so far. My suspected it was not engaging;in drive because of the extreme cold here(around -15F with the wind chill). When I pushed on the gas a bit more and held it down;for a while, it does shift eventually

------

RMKIAS - Wind chill has no effect on inanimate objects such as your Sedona. Wind chill only acts on skin by removing heat faster than if there were no wind. Your transmission doesn't care how fast the wind is blowing. If it did there would be a problem every time you got on the highway in cold weather since in effect you would be creating your own wind chill effect.

We have had a couple of very cold days here in Minnesota so far this year where the high does not get above zero degrees F, (actual temp, not wind chill), and our Sedona has not had any transmission issues. We are expecting the coldest weather of the year here in a few days with highs potentially not hitting -10F and lows somewhere south of -20F. I'll let everyone know how our Sedona does, but so far we are very impressed with how well it starts and runs in the cold, and most importantly, how well the heater works!

If you are having transmission problems in the cold then I'd get it checked out by the dealer. Perhaps you need a transmission fluid change. When it is time for an ATF change on my van I'll probably put in synthetic fluid since it flows better in very cold weather.

- Chad
  • sierra1sierra1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my problem.

I have a 03 ex.

The front passenger side tire keeps loosing traction. It mostly happens when I make a turn or merge into a highway. And don’t even need accelerate that much. If it’s raining…forget it!!! I’ve taken it to the dealer and they cannot determine what the problem is. They’re telling me that that’s the way the car is and there’s nothing they or I can do about it. But it’s really bad! I probably look like a teenager after peeling out on every corner. I know my tires will never last this way.

Keep in mind I just put new tires on the car (GY triple tread), but it was happening with the hancook’s as well.
  • kgcountskgcounts Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Sedona with 41000 miles. My Air Bag light recently came on and I am wondering if it will be covered under warranty?

My Sedona came from the dealership with 2 leaks, power steering and transmission. It took 3 trips to the dealership to get them fixed. The final trip, I put "3rd time - LEMON LAW" across the repair ticket. Technically, it came with 3 leaks. The right front tire leaked until my wife ran it flat one day and ruined it. The tires are very slick on wet pavement. They are worn out now and getting replaced with better quality tires.

I've had my Sedona in to the shop twice to replace seat belts. The mid row belts stopped ratcheting, which makes it impossible to use child safty seats. Also, I had to bring it in for a recall to replace the back row seat belts.

I'd guess my average milage to be around 17 to 18 mpg.

Overall, I've had more trouble with this vehicle than any of the others I've owned. Regardless, it is still a good value...You get what you pay for!
    Sorry you've had so many problems with your Sedona. I'd say you are unlucky, not that you got what you paid for.

You are the first person I've heard, besides me, who has had seat belt ratcheting problems. We had the same problem with the middle row passenger side belt and it was replaced.
  • hyundaikiahyundaikia Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 sedona lx with 51k miles. When I first turn on the van and shift into drive and hit the gas and start to move the Brake and Charge Light comes on. The van drives nicely though and when I turn off the car and turn it back on the light is gone but returns when i continue to accelerate again. I went to the dealer and they told me it might be the alternator however the van still runs. Anyone know whats wrong? Both the brake and charge light comes on at the same time. yet the E brake is on engaged.
  • johnnojohnno Member Posts: 3
    While making the usual rounds in town, the Check Engine Light came on after starting and STAYED LIT.

The engine is running kinda rough, with a lower idle.

I checked the fluids, air filter, gas cap.

Any help is appreciated.

'02 LX with 66K, timing belt replaced 1.5K ago.
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    johnno,

how much did you pay for your timing belt replacement? thanks.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Hello all,

Has anyone had their rotors replaced? If so...is this covered under the warranty? My sisters '03 Sedona has pulsating brakes and I suspect that the rotors are warped.
    The rotors are covered under the warrenty
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Thank you...good to know in advance!
  • marriedmanmarriedman Member Posts: 16
    Hello all:

I have been reading this forum for some time now but this is my first posting. I also have had several challenges with our 2002 Kia Sedona EX (not the two tone paint). Overall the van seems great, wife loves it and it was in our budget. All major work done has been covered by the 10/100 warranty, so I can't complain about that.

Replaced so far:

*replaced seat belt anchor (recall)

*replaced warped rotors w/alignment,

*replaced battery (code 02T30 S8G75C)

*replaced headliner

*replaced spare tire support

*adjusted E brake cable

*replaced faulty coil pack on #6 cylinder (Code P0306).

Also had paint flaking off driver side mirror which dealer repainted. I have read forums which customers are experiencing alot more problems than I have so far. My newest problem is the stock Kumho tires are ready for replacement at only 35,000 miles. I would like to get recommadation on what others may have replaced with. Local tire dealers advised to replace with either Goodyear Integrity or BF Goodwrench Radial TA with S rating.

Thanks for the help,

Michael
    It seems that everyone on this list ends up puttng car passenger tires on the Sedona after the OEM tires wear out. Why the choice not to put truck tires on again? I have the Hankkok RA07 truck tires on mine and I like them. I also appreciate the fact that they are h rated (like I will ever go that fast) and have a weight rating of about 1,600 lbs.

Rob
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    I have Hankook RA07's on my 2003 EX and will probably replace them after next year with the same. They have 35k on them now, will replace around 50k, rated for 55k. As I recall, they are about $55 each on the web.

However, I may just go a little higher dollar and run Nokian WR's ($125 55k tire, same specs as OEM tires for heat/wt/speed) year around. I have them on there now (steel rims)and the van handles well in all weather. It is an all weather tread design with special winter rubber compounds to make it more sticky. Works well in rain and slush which sold me. Haven't had it on solid ice yet, but may test that out, too.

A few previoius posts mentioned some Goodyears. Maybe they will repost.
    Thanks Rob and Navyair.

After much consideration I went with Goodyear Allegra which has the same specs as the OE Kumho tire. (ie: 1620 lbs max, temp B, Traction A, load index 97). The Goodyears have a speed rating of T (118mph) oppose to Kumho H rating, which I don't really care about. The Goodyear wear is 560.

While researching I found that Goodyear Allegra is only produced for Sams Club. It seems like a good tire for the price with a 75,000 mile warranty and since I purchased at Sams they included Road Hazard. I got all 4 for $291.00 oppose to most other tire dealers wanting $380-450 per set.

I sure hope I get better service from these than the Kumhos.
    Actually I had those Allegra's on my last minivan and liked them a lot. They are only sold at Canadian Tire in Canada. They were quiet, good in all weather. I did however find the sidewalls a little soft. I had no idea they had the same weight rating as the OEM Hankooks- thats good to know.

Rob
  • johnnojohnno Member Posts: 3
    Two quotes from dealers were for ~$500, including belt. The process takes seven hours.My local mechanic couldn't handle it. Remember that the spark plugs need to be changed, so check on a package deal.
    @ $125 each, the Nokians aren't a little higher dollar than the Hankooks, they're a LOT higher dollar!

What is the speed rating on the Nokians?
    They have exactly the same specs as OEM Hankooks in all catagories.

Should have said Nokian price included extended warantee (flat repair and road hazard), mounting, lifetime balancing and rotation.

I needed replacement tires for my commuter car at the same time I started looking for snow tires/wheels for the Kia.
    After research, decided I would run a set year around on my commuter car. (It is a Chrysler, and I'm not sure it will survive past this set of tires, even though it only has 50K on it)

These WR's are also considered specialty tires because of the rubber, even though they are really all weather design...rated for 55k miles, but optimized for ice/snow/wet roads. Have a lot of those around here. Only drawback I can see is small...the directional tread will keep you from "x-ing" when rotating tires.

I can say that they are quite a bit quieter than the Michelin Energy tires they replaced. They handled our 10" of snow just fine on unplowed roads last Friday, and the wet roads since then. I am running them on both my commuter car and the van right now.

Hankook was basic Internet price only. Probably add 15-20$ per tire around here for mtg/balancing only. Still makes it a $75-85 tire versus a 125$ tire. Concur, that is a lot, esp if you don't need snow tires. I saw a lot of folks off the side of the road on Friday night who didn't have them.

The warantee is insurance for the wife when she travels, and at $10/tire it was cheap to make sure she could get flats fixed or quick swaps if needed. Dealer sold me the two sets, including everything for $1k.

You might be able to find Nokians for less around the country, but here in the Twin Cities, it was about the best deal I could find...found the tires a bit lower, but when you included mounting and balancing, and disposal of one set of tires (commuter car)and warantees it always came out to be 1000-1200$. I went with the dealer that sounded the most enthusiastic and actually said he wanted the business.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    We're starting to look for a replacement for my wife's Volvo wagon. I'd really like to get a minivan to give us more room traveling. I sat in and played with as many minivans as I could at the auto show. I really like the Sedona and it seems like the Kia quality has been improving every year. I'm not as impressed with the Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan.. as many. (Although the stow n go seats are trick on the Honda & Chrysler/Dodge...)

I'd like to save some $$$ but the sales person I've used quite often(always treated me fair and well) says I don't want a Kia... They sell Pontiac, Buick, GMC & Kia. The Sedona isn't quite as "nice" as the Pontiac/Buick vans; but seating seemed as comfortable and driving position okay.

So, from experienced Sedona owners - Would you buy the Sedona again? and why?
    If I were to buy another minivan I'd buy the Sedona again in a minute. For $20,000 I got a new Minivan with leather, ABS, Power Sunroof and EX package.

Drive one and see for yourself.

Oh yeah....Ask him how long the GM minivan warranty lasts.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
    2003 EX I'd buy it again. Solidly built and handles well in all weather conditions. Although I like some of the GM cars, I haven't seen one of their minivans which rated well or held up with lots of mileage. Our Sedona is as solid with 35K miles as it was day 1 off the lot. Same features as Craig has.
    The reason I bought a Sedona was because I had a GM venture/transport/montana. Biggest piece of garbage I ever owned. The 3.4 liter V6 is great on gas but mechanically is terrible. The intake manifold gasket (which fails on the majority of them) was $900 CDN to replace, and then the cold snap we had just before Christmas caused BOTH head gaskets to fail. That was enough for me and I cut my losses.

It wasn't very sturdy, could only pull 2,000 lbs, leaked inside when it rained, had transmission pump issues (cativation on start up, absolutely the worst windshield wiper design ever, expensive parts, very difficult to work on and therefore labor was at least 1.5 X that of any other minivan, the heating sucked. This isn't just me complaining, as these are documented in technical service bullitens from GM.

I only have about 3,000 KM on my sedona but I like it more than any GM or Chrysler minivan I have had. If you're nervous about buying it lease it for the length of the warranty. That is what I did.

Rob

oh and one other thing. Sounded like a diesel at start-up. Many of the GM engines display piston slap and serious noise when starting. Mine certainly did. Again doucmented in TSB from GM.
  • akwilliamsakwilliams Member Posts: 40
    We have a 2002 EX with 54,000 miles. If I needed a van this year, I would not hesitate to buy another Sedona. It rides very much the same as it did the day we test drove it. Test drive one and then compare it (and the price and warranty) with the competition.

Sedona pluses:

Safety

Price

Warranty

Smooth 5 speed transmission

Looks (subjective I know)

Sedona minuses:

Gas mileage

lack of some features (navigation, no folding third row seat, power doors etc)

Is a new Honda or Sienna a better overall vehicle? Maybe, but just think what you can do with the extra 3000 bucks.
    Very satisfied with our 2002 Sedona EX. Ours has 47,000 miles. All options except rear spoiler (ugly).

The interior quality is much better than the GM minivans, in my opinion. Plus I prefer the 3.5L DOHC 24V V6 with 5-speed auto to the old-style pushrod motors with 4-speed auto in the GM minivans.

You don't get the latest gee-whiz minivan features in a Sedona, and resale value will not be good. If you plan to keep it for a while, and as a Volvo owner I bet you do keep your vehicles for a good long while, it should serve you well.

This year, deals on 2005 Sedonas are likely to really heat up as the rollout of the all-new 2006 approaches. It's up to you whether to jump on the outgoing '05 or wait for the new '06.
  • eppoinindyeppoinindy Member Posts: 1
    ocmike3, I own a 2002 sedona with 80,000 miles on it. Best vehicle i have ever owned! Getting ready to trade for a 05 or maybe an 06 sedona. I have highly recommended it to my wife's boss(he bought one) and my cousin also purchased a 2003. Mike you won't be sorry, go for it!
  • moosekmoosek Member Posts: 7
    I am having a similar issue and just today dropped my 2003 sedona off at the dealer because the light came on again - it was just in for the same reason 2 weeks ago. They had another sedona in the shop for the exact same issue (also that person's second time around with this) - The mechanic said that they are just now finally getting Kia to acknowledge a faulty part. Seems this is all related to an evaporation canister valve (or something like that) - somehow charcoal deposits build up and break loose inside the system and get up underneath the valve causing it to fail. My mechanic is changing out the entire canister this time (last time he just replaced the valve) - anyway, I suspect there may be a recall in the coming months and - in any case - this is a warrantied item so, aside from massive aggravation, it hasn't cost me anything.

Speaking recalls - Everyone - please be sure to periodically check http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov for current or pending recalls. This issue with the evap valve made me go check and I discovered that there is a recall on my van for a throttle cable that can get twisted and stuck in accelerated position and cause a crash. The info there states that Kia will likely issue the full recall at end of Feb (how they can wait that long when they now there's a problem and people are out driving around in them is beyond me....)

Anyway - please look up your make and model, you never know what you'll find!
    Did the Nhtsa search and came up with two issues for the 2003 model but none for the 2004:

Make : KIA Model : SEDONA Year : 2003

Manufacturer : KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V158000 Recall Date : APR 23, 2003

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 3375

Summary:

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THERE WAS A PROGRAMMING ERROR IN THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS) ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE LOGIC. THE PROGRAMMING ERROR COULD CAUSE REDUCED BRAKING FORCE AT SPEEDS BELOW 25 MPH, WHICH COULD RESULT IN INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES.

Consequence:

SUCH INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE CONTROL MODULE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 19, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542.

Notes:

KIA RECALL NO. SC032. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : KIA Model : SEDONA Year : 2003

Manufacturer : KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V013000 Recall Date : JAN 17, 2005

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 89238

Summary:

ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, DURING ASSEMBLY, THE THROTTLE CABLE WOULD TWIST ITSELF OUT OF POSITION.

Consequence:

THIS CAN PERMIT THE CABLE TO BE HUNG UP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE CABLE . VEHICLES PRODUCED FROM MARCH 20, 2001 THROUGH NOVEMBER 7, 2001 WILL HAVE A GUIDE CLIP INSTALLED ON THE THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY IN ORDER TO ENSURE THAT THE TENSION FORCE CABLE DOES NOT MOVE OUT OF POSITION. VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BEGINNING ON NOVEMBER 8, 2001, ALREADY HAVE THE EXTENDED GUIDE, WHICH ACCOMPLISHES THE SAME OBJECTIVE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AT THE END OF FEBRUARY 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542.

Notes:

RECALL NO. SC-042. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT1-888-327-4236.
  • iwannaknowiwannaknow Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2003 Kia Sedona. Left door lock is not opening from outside. Kia dealer said they could replace the lockset under warranty (as I expected) but then I realized that I would have two different keys for this vehicle(one for the door and the other for the rest locks on vehicle). Then he said they could actually fix it but that case I have to pay 50 some dollars. I don't know why it's not covered and what to choose. I welcome any advice.
  • wood9663wood9663 Member Posts: 2
    RE: "The front suspension makes a "tock tock" sound when going over undulations in the road. Not when I do over real bumps, but something like a wave in the pavement. The car is fine over large bumps, handles well and feels tight otherwise. "

I have the same issue in my 04. only 19000kms on it. The only way that I can describe the sound is by making the "V" victory sign (peace sign) with my fingers, put the steering wheel in the V and rapidly drum. Sounds weird, but it replicates the sound almost exactly.

Anyway, I had the dealership look at it. They replaced the linkages in the front, but this did nothing. It only happens between 0-60 kph, after that, it smooths out.

I am going back to the dealership this week to get another look at it. Otherwise, loving the van.
    Very interesting the way you describe the problem 9663. I have had the same issue since day one. What is most interesting is that the service manager at my dealer replicated the sound EXCATLY the way you described - two fingers on the steering wheel in a drumming manner. He said the majority of the Sedona's have made this sound since their introduction in 2002 and Kia has been unable to correct the problem.

In any event Kia has authorized him to replace the upper hardware in the struts. Apparently they do know it's a srut problem. He isn't hopeful that it will fix the noise though. It's not really the noise that concerns me but more the safety issue. Something is definitely loose and at times I can feel it in the steering wheel, very slightly.

I also emailed LemonAid about the problem and they acknowledged that is it a known issue. I am getting the work done this Friday and I will keep you posted on then ourcome.

Otherwise love the van. Great highway vehicle where I spend most of my time.
  • brianh1brianh1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for any help at all! In the past two months, we've had times where we have lost all power in our 2002 Sedona EX. Yesterday my wife and daughter were in the van and top speed was 5-10MPH, and my wife said it sounded and felt as though it was backfiring. Smoke came from the engine and she made it to a parking lot to have it towed. We took it to our local Kia dealer in Dec. when this originally happened and they said we had "bad gasoline" and could find no problems. And for days/weeks at a time the van runs great. The days where these problems occur are unseasonably warm days for us here in Nebraska in the winter, and we don't know if that's a contributing factor. We had it towed to the dealer yesterday and sure enough they called today and said that they can find no problems. We had a timing belt replaced in the month or so before the problem first surfaced, and now we have had this problem of literally no power/sputtering at least a half a dozen times. I know nothing about cars and it looks like there's plenty o' knowledgable folks in this forum. Didn't know if anyone has had similar problems but we're very frustrated with our dealer's inability to ID and rectify the problem, and at 78,000 miles they're telling us that all the work is non-warranty to boot......
    Brianh1: Your problem sounds familiar with mine. My 02 Sedona started backfiring and jerking while driving. It went away for a week then came back hard. Took it to the dealer since the SEL (Service Engine Light) was on and it turned out to be a faulty coil pack on the cylinder. One coil pack per cylinder.

Is your SEL light on? Have you replaced the spark plug and wires? I would still have dealer scan codes to see if any were set. If no codes were set and still orginal plugs then I would suggest doing a tune up.

If you purchased your van new then it should be under the 10yr/100,000mi warranty, but if you purchased used then they reduce the warranty to 6/60,000.

Post what you find out.
  • jennifer8jennifer8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

Nice comfortable vehicle with all the extras, but I guess you get what you pay for!

We have been fighting with our Kia dealer (Donnelly Kia in Ottawa, ON). Back in 2003 our windshield cracked (without being hit by anything), like many other 2002 Sedonas with the automatic wipers. We brought it in, in Oct 2003, they ordered the windshield but we needed the car so they said they would call when it was in. My husband had found many others with the same problem on this site (apparently thinner glass was originally installed on that model & they were replacing it with thicker glass once they cracked) and they were going to replace it under warranty. Well, we didn't get around to getting right back when they called to say the windshield was in - we didn't have another reliable vehicle, my husband needed the van to go to work & I was busy with the farm, etc, then the dealership moved to a further location. We finally got in last month & now they won't replace it, calling it a "stone chip". Well, there is a small chip but from the other accounts it sounds like this is what happens when the glass buckles. They offered to replace it "at cost" ($565 + tax). Yeah right!

They also charged us for flushing the transmission as we had not done so according to the "instructions." The van had been sluggish going to 2nd gear, revving too high. Mileage under 70,000 km. They wouldn't cover it.

We've had the rust repaired & repainted near the licence plate twice.

My mom also bought one (2003 or 2004) & has not been happy with the service.

Jennifer
  • briman2kbriman2k Member Posts: 20
    Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your Kia dealer. We use Street Kia in Smiths Falls for any of the warranty work we had done, and we were happy with their service. Have you tried a different Kia dealer?

Brian
  • janettjanett Member Posts: 2
    How many miles did you have on your van. The service dept. was telling me I need new rotors, pulsating brakes, but they were going to charge me??
This discussion has been closed.