Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xA

Comments

• lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    You're not describing your problem in the entirety. You've not mentioned which gears, at what times... Does it do that AFTER it's been in use?
    The Honda Element that I had began doing that after it had already been in use, like if I were parking (PARK) or had turned off the car somewhere only to turn it back on within 20 minutes.
    The dealership told me it was the throttle body sensor and needed replaced. Basically the RPMs were slightly higher and I hadn't noticed, and that they weren't reading at rest when the car was not in use, so then I was not "allowed" to shift out of park.

That was my problem, so what exactly was yours :confuse:
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Even though I bought an xB. I did test drive a xA 1.0 and was very impressed. However, those tires had very limited shelf life. The moonroof was awesome in that car.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it's cool that you test drove an xA RS 1.0 in that beautiful Absolutely Red color! I knew better than even trying to trade in my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 last fall when the xA RS 1.0 was in stock at the nearest Scion dealer to me at the time. I did stop and look at it when the Scion employees were gone later at night, though. It looked very cool. I have heard that those tires wore down too easily...but that can be dealt with pretty easily, though expensively.

Sometimes I look at the Scion xB and it starts working it's mojo on me! I can see why you might like it, I just can't get into that square-everywhere design. The xB does look better than a middle of the road car like Toyota's Corolla, though. It's better to have a car with some design integrity to it and the xB is an original, I'll say that much about it.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sophoclessophocles Member Posts: 3
    At 6000+ miles came my first expenditure besides petrol. We got a flat but since the car still handled well, drove for some time while the rim shredded the inside of the tire. It could not be fixed. The local tire shop could only find one maker (Goodyear) who makes the original equipment tires. $87 plus tax later he suggested that when I replace the tires, I should go to a slightly larger size, at a much lower price. Anybody else have this experience?
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    I had that with snow tires: they weren't readily available in the stock size and would have to be special ordered. I had them put on the next size up (195??). They will make the ODO read about 2% too slow...but I don't race around here in the winter anyway...
  • bcalabresebcalabrese Member Posts: 1
    I'm choosing accessories and would like input about the Auto Dimming Mirror. Is there a problem seeing pedestrians in the city? Any other problems? Any cheaper solutions? I have difficulty with glare, but don't want to pay $295 unless it's a good feature. The Toyota dealer told me that nothing could be put in after market because the wiring is in the roof. True?
  • dorlandodorlando Member Posts: 5
    I love the auto dimming mirror. So much better than a std mirror. There is a mood lighting option and it also works to open my garage door - super. I haven't had much experience yet with the auto dimming, but I did experience it working once and it was great. I can't yet answer your ques on pedestrians, but I don't anticipate an issue.
  • dorlandodorlando Member Posts: 5
    Also...it does wire through the roof - so they are speaking the truth
  • hboggshboggs Member Posts: 3
    Fairway Toyota/Scion provides free tires for life to the original owner. Yes, I've used this on my 2003 Avalon with no problems. Like the old Jack Benny Midas commercials, I'm gonna be using a whole lot of tires free of charge!!
  • pinskipinski Member Posts: 1
    Hi: My name is John, I live in San Francisco and I am the proud new owner of a bouncing baby Scion xA. I've only had it a week, but so far, I think it's a great car.
    Details: Flint Mica, AT, 17" Momos,iPod-friendly Stereo, armrest, spoiler and has side airbags. Gets 30mpg so far.
    For a little car, it sure feels big inside.
    The only thing I don't particularly care for is the sun visors. Too small!
    I think it looks great, but I would like to go ahead and
    get the lowering springs. Will it make for a stiffer ride?
    Also, can I expect my gas mileage to improve with time?
    I know the automatic is EPA rated at 38, but I'm sure
    that was going 55 on a really flat highway:-)
    Any advice for this new xA owner would be welcomed./John
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Your mileage is definitely good. On a mostly free-flowing highway commute, with only a few blocks of surface street at either end, I got 35 mpg with a stick shift xA, and 32 mpg with an automatic Echo.

The more surface street driving you add, the more your mileage will get pummeled.

17" wheels are not mileage friendly; weight!
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    Just took my Scion xA on a long trip from Minneapolis to South Carolina and back. Averaged about 34 MPG going 70 - 80 mph most of the time. It was fairly comfortable; a little rough, but I keep about 38 psi in the tires. What I REALLY missed was cruise control. If I go on another trip like this I will put in an aftermarket unit. I already installed a door lock/unlock device: it cost $29 from JC Whitney as opposed to the $500 security system you can buy from Scion...what a rip!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi Hal,

I'd like to ask you about that JC Whitney automatic door opener you got for your xA. How does that work? Is it an easy install? I also thought the $500 security system was a rip so didn't order it.

Also, can you tell me if, when you open the lid on your CD holder (the box under the heater controls), does it light up at night? Mine lights up when I open the door but not when I'm driving and want to see what CD I'm pulling out.

I like this little car overall!

I don't think I'm going to lower mine (ride might be too harsh) but it could use better tires and maybe I'll get the shock tower brace as well as CAI and cat-back exhaust....but not from TRD....too expensive!

thanks

Joe aka Shiftright
    Host
    Maintenance & Repair Board
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Hi all. I hope you can clarify something for me. Losing my mind here haha.

On the 2006 xA, I understand that there is an iPod plug standard, near the gear shift. Is that right? So, I am confused about what the accessory stereo with iPod capability does. Is it:

WITHOUT the extra stereo option, your iPod will work through the speakers if you plug it in, but you have to use the iPod to control song selection.

WITH the extra money stereo, its controlled through the steering wheel?

Is that right? Overall, could I go buy a 2006 xA and be able to hear my iPod through the speakers, right away, without buying any extra options?

Thanks!

Also, how is the 4 speed auto? Is the overdrive switch a sturdy item? Most cars don't have OD switches anymore...
    That was my understanding...that without the iPod capability you don't get any controls or display on the radio or steering wheel but you can still listen to the music, yes.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    is that the same for the tC? Scion's 800# can't even answer the question for me, can you believe that? ;)
  • jay_michiganjay_michigan Member Posts: 2
    I would like to hear from anyone who has an xa or xb and their experiences driving in snow, and inclimate weather. Is it just not feasible to take it on the roads in snow? Have to say Im impressed with the car, but am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a vibe or matrix with AWD. Would appreciate anyone's feedback.
    FWD with good snows is pretty acceptable. Snow driving is at least 50% driver, 25% tires and 25% car.

Unless you are in perpetual snow conditions that are severe, AWD doesn't make a lot of sense for the amount of time you use it.

I've had the xA out in very nasty heavy rain and wind, and it's fine even with stock tires.
  • 3flame3flame Member Posts: 1
    To add to Mr Shift_right's comment. I own a 2004 Toyota Yaris, which is essentially an XA which weighs about 400 lbs less. I drive in snowy Canadian winters, and don't have a problem. I have Nokia snow tires from Finland, and they are one of the best. I see many 4 wheelers in the ditch. Great rubber is worth more than 4WD...
    The only advantage to AWD I see for most people is that on some AWD vehicles you get higher ground clearance than an xA or xB.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Does anyone know how many Xa s Scion sold in the US during 2005? Thanks!
  • kyyuenkyyuen Member Posts: 11
    My 06 Xa has an annoying rattle around the center and the left corner area of the dash board. Is there any body out there with the same experience and know of a fix?
    Thank you.
    Do you have satellite radio?
  • librarian1librarian1 Member Posts: 7
    I am hearing a noise when I turn on the AC. I brought it to Scion and they find nothing. Took it to my mechanic and he said the clutch on the AC is not disengaging. I told this to Scion and they still find nothing. Does Scion ever honor their warrantee & is the clutch problem normal?
    You mean like a chatter/squeeking sound, like you just ran over a squirrel?

You (or someone) can visually check if the AC clutch has disengaged or not. If the AC clutch is wearing out, it will make a very annoying high pitched chattering noise.

So your mechanic's explanation is odd---whether engaged or disengaged, an AC clutch shouldn't make noise----so not disengaging doesn't explain your noise problem.
  • librarian1librarian1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for getting back. The noise is intermittent. The dealer is claiming that if his mechanic doesn't hear the noise, he can't fix it. My mechanic held the car for a full day and heard the noise and traced it to the AC compressor. I told the dealer service person this. This noise started 4 days after I bought the car. It seems to me that Scion is ignoring the problem because it costs too much to fix. I read somewhere that Toyota is non to quick to fix problems. Is there a Scion/Toyota service dept. in the NY/NJ area who can be trusted?
  • driley99driley99 Member Posts: 5
    When I bought my Scion, I had a intermittent rattle around the speedometer area that was louder than the radio full blast! I was ready to abandon the car. I was told same thing--noise must be heard by tech so we can't fix. After 4 visits problem not solved, nor did I think they were really trying.
    I called the disbributer who gave me an advocate representative who contacted dealer and really got them moving. (number should be in Scion paperwork on Scion website.) After a total 6 visits (2 with help), they solved the problem--it was the outside dash, just on other side of speedometer where plastic parts meet. The colder it was the louder the plastic rattled. When it was warmer, by the time I could get it to dealer, the plastic warmed up and they couldn't hear. With advocate intervention by phone, they kept car overnight and once over weekend until they could figure it out and drive when very cold. If they dealer didn't solve, they were going to send Scion field rep. It was very easy working with advocate--really wanted to solve and evidently got them believing it should be.
    My suggestion is get them moving that way. I'm near San Fran., dist. in Torrance, s. CA.
    Don't let them get away with not fixing it!
    Hope this helped.
  • herronmherronm Member Posts: 2
    I know iPod has become generic for mp3 players, but does the upgraded radio work with non iPod devices (Rio....)? Do the controls on the steering wheel control both the radio/CD and mp3 player?

Also, is Speed Control the same as cruise control?

Thanks,
    Max
  • b3nutb3nut Member Posts: 83
    From what I can gather, the upgraded Pioneer radio only controls the iPod player. You can, however, play the audio from any mp3, cassette, or minidisc player through the 1/8" Aux input on the center console with both the upgrade and base Pioneer radios. You'll have to use the device's own controls when playing them through the stereo, though.

Yes, speed control is another term for cruise control. The Rostra (www.rostra.com) is a popular aftermarket cruise that works well with Scion vehicles.

I have to say the xA has been growing on me, at first I thought it cramped but I went yesterday to give the car a fairer shake and spent some time with it. I can fit OK in the back with the driver's seat set to where I'm comfortable, I couldn't when I first tried it but then again I hadn't spent a lot of time on it. I'm between the '06 Kia Rio5 (a surprisingly splendid little car) and the xA. I went ahead and test-drove the little xA, and I must say it rides a lot better than a car with that short a wheelbase has any right to. I've heard the ride described as choppy, and that term was far from my mind as I took it out on the freeway. It's nice and nimble, and holds its ground against irksome Wisconsin crosswinds. :D I felt them, but the Scion stayed put.

The Rio5 is a little softer, and has a bit more space, but the xA has a timing chain instead of a belt (which in the Rio needs replacing every 60K) and the stock stereo is much better. I really like both cars, but I'm leaning toward the little xA...even that silly center-mounted speedo started to grow on me, just in a what-the-heck-is-that-about way. There's a good variety of aftermarket goodies for the Scions, if I get a wild hair to trick it out a little. And I just can't see going wrong with a Toyota vehicle, somewhat akin to not being fired for buying IBM. :D The Rio5 is a sharp sharp little scoot though, and I find it appealing still. The outgoing Hyundai Accent has scored really well in reliability, so I see no reason to suspect the new Accent/Rio platform will be a step backward at all. Fun, handy little cars...the new Fit should be great too, but I don't like the non-standard radio. I have a car now with a non-standard radio opening...never again. I need to be able to easily pop in a nice Pioneer or Alpine or whatever when I break the stock one. ;)

Todd in Beerbratistan
    I saw the '06 Rio and it's pretty slick. In some ways it is better than the xA - mainly in terms of available interior and luggage space. HOWEVER, the xA is definitely a "premium" small car, and it is well-perceived in the marketplace since it is impossible to buy a "stripped" version.

For the content it has, even without being able to negotiate the price, it is a bargain.

I had one and always enjoyed the nice touches - the interior quality, the sound proofing, the Toyota (almost Lexus level!) fit and finish.

When I traded it in, I got an incredible trade-in amount, which confirms that Toyota's DO hold their value much better than many other cars.

Even Japanese cars have first year teething problems these days. My xA had a weak airconditioning set-up. This is reflected in Consumer Report's score cards. The xA right now is VERY seasoned and has moved up in the CR gradings.

I think you'd love it. :)
    scooters, and, you know, since I haven't traded in my '01 Sportage yet, I could still look at an xA. But, by all rights, I'll go get a 2006 Kia Rio LX. I love the style of the LX sedan and I love the style of the Rio5, too.

I researched the Scion xA and I still love the xA RS 1.0 and 2.0. AAMOF-when does the Scion xA RS 3.0 come out? What color will it be?

For that car I could be tempted to wait for it and put off the '06 Rio purchase. Great little cars. Not a harsh word against them will leave my mouth, dudes. :)

You can just "make" your own RS pretty inexpensively.
    and jazzed-up upholstery, I don't see anything on the RS xA's that you can't find from aftermarket sources...there are all sorts of bolt-on goodies for the Scions. www.newscionparts.com has a neat assortment, including accessories from the Japanese domestic market. That's one of the things I find appealing about these cars...lots of options for sprucing things up a tad if you want. I could go for the EP-10 alloys (sticking with a 15" wheel and tire for ride and fuel econ), spoiler (no function whatsoever, but adds a nice spice to the look), and some tint on the back door, rear quarter, and rear windows. Tastefully jazzed-up, without getting into "ricer" territory. Of course, if you want 18" wheels, lowering springs, and furious-wasps-in-a-coffee-can muffler, the xA can accomodate. :D Lots of xA's out there tricked out.

I did see a pic of a Sapphire Blue Kia Rio5 (right-hand drive) with custom 2-tone leather (dark blue inserts, tan trim) and red(!) carpet. Looked pretty neat!

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    yeah, I am pretty much sold on getting a 2006 Kia Rio5 or Rio LX sedan. There's a Tropical Red Rio5 at my local dealer and I just got an e-mail from somebody in Idaho Falls, ID(50 miles north of Pocatello, ID)and the guy told me that, if he can fit into it, he will buy the Rio5 this Friday. He has been following my posts here on Edmunds and grabbed my e-mail address and e-mailed me. :)

That leaves the two manual-trannied Rio LX sedans, 5-speeds both of them, one Sapphire Blue and one Silver. The Silver looks pretty good on a Rio LX sedan, because Kia puts those new large, black door mouldings on them. The black and silver blend nicely. You know, I like the sedan's body style just a tad more over the Rio5's. But the Rio5 offers bigger tires, metal pedals and a rear spoiler and a beefier, sportier suspension with improved handling characteristics. So I would still be open to the Rio5 if he can't fit into it. BTW-it's bigger than people think up there in the front cabin area, he'll fit into it. So, my plan will be to get a Rio LX sedan and, down the road a piece, look for sales and buy a nice tire and wheel combo that will look cool and improve handling. The thing is, I'm not a highway star, anyway. The sedan's ride and handling of the twisties will already suit me just fine from the start.

Back to this topic and the Scion xA. I don't think you can go wrong with one of these. And, yes, one can put some EP-10 alloys on and a spoiler, etc. The RS xA's also have the "glowing" dash lights for extra accent, which is gimmicky, but kind of cool as well.

The Scion xA would fit my needs pretty nicely and, I just saw while dining and shopping in Idaho Falls, ID, the other night, the Toyota dealer there stocks Scion's now. Previously the only Scion dealer in the lower western, central and eastern Idaho areas was in Boise, Idaho. So I would have a Scion dealer to deal with only 50 miles to the north of me.

Robert Allen Kia is in my hometown of Pocatello, ID, though, so that is very cool. ;)

Yup, I definitely see the appeal of the Rio and Rio5...Kia hit a styling bullseye IMHO. The xA is a wonderful car, but the Rio5 is awfully tempting with the somewhat increased room and longer wheelbase, not to mention the dashboard design which I like a little better than the xA's. If the new Accent/Rio platform is as dependable as the previous Accent has been the last 2 years, Hyundai/Kia will have a small-car winner on their hands. The outgoing Accent has had a sterling reliabilty record in CR, at least...the Korean cars are coming of age, for sure. Kinda torn on this one, though the xA was the first little car on the current market to really catch my attention, and I keep coming back to it. Maybe it's just calling my name. ;)

I did see my local Scion dealer (Smart Toyota-Scion-Volvo, Madison WI) has additional options for Scions, including custom leather interiors in any color you like. They must bring an upholsterer in for that...Toyota dealer I used to deal with back in Michigan did that. I almost had that done to my old '93 Paseo back in the day... :D

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • johnniconjohnnicon Member Posts: 10
    I've been wondering when someone will do a thorough comparison of the XA and the Honda Fit. My Sophocles is performing well, but I was a Honda owner 4 times previously. If the Fit had been here last year, it would have been my first choice. The Fit should be out next month. Meanwhile,I know the Fit has 14" wheels, (Scion 15")has a much more versatile interior, and a peppier engine. Anyone want to comment?
    The two seem more or less dead equal, as if Honda replicated an xA. The Fit qualifies as an ULEV vehicle which the xA isn't (yet). You can get 15" wheels on the Fit Sport, but then you are putting out extra $$$.

Looks like a toss up to me....
    is a very cool little hatch. The interior design is really unique, a good bit of forward thinking in there. I don't like the melding of the stereo head unit into the dash, though. My present car ('00 Escort ZX2) has the radio and climate controls in a "pod", and there's no way to replace the factory head unit (which controls a now-dead absurdly-overpriced 6-disc changer that died 2 years after I bought the car, which was past the 36K-mile warranty limit) with a better one without resorting to a dash kit that, frankly, is atrocious-looking. There is no easy upgrade path for audiophiles for the head unit in the Fit. I'll never buy another car that locks me into a potentially-broken stereo, or whose manufacturer denies my right the choose the stereo gear of my choice. The new Civic is the same way, it's annoying. For most consumers, it isn't an issue, they'll just replace the factory unit when it goes belly-up. I like the option to replace the stock head with something different, even if I like the factory system for the time being (which in the xA's case I do, I'd get by fine with it for awhile, it sounds darn good for a stock setup.)

I do like the Fit's guage cluster though, aesthetically. Honda even copied Toyota in omitting the coolant temp guage, which is curious. Not that you get much useful info from a temp guage, but I like having one. Not a dealbreaker, but strikes me as odd nonetheless.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    ...and made retching noises when she saw the xA, so that pretty much nixes that one. :( But she liked the Rio5, and was impressed by the warranty, airbags, and the price, so it looks like the Rio5 gets the nod of the two. I guess a timing belt change every 60K isn't too bad, from the maintenance guide here on Edmunds it looks to be a much cheaper job than it was for my ZX2...cost around a grand to replace that belt! :surprise: I will no doubt enjoy the Rio5, I love the way it drives and looks, but I will be in envy of the little xA's and the lovely Echo motor. :D Fine little hatch, that Scion.

Ah well.... ;)

Todd in Beerbratistan
    I am right there, too, only my wife doesn't want to depart with our '01 Sportage 4x4. I have really not even mentioned the 2006 Kia Rio5 or Rio LX sedans yet (the Rio5 is Tropical Red in color and the two LX sedans are Silver and Sapphire Blue). All are still available and all have the manual tranny's-a must for this padre.

I will go to work on selling the idea. I'm just waiting for the right time...and some warmer weather!

We're at about 15 degrees right now, at 2:00PM! Eeek! :D

• tonytonytonytony Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys,
    I fell in love with the 06 Xa the dark grey color. I went to the dealer and they said there is no discount or price haggling. The price you see is the price you pay. It was 14500. Is that true? I am planning to buy it within 72 hours but I just want to verify this.
    Tony
  • bennettsongsbennettsongs Member Posts: 5
    Time to buy my daughter her first car. Must be a hatchback. She's moving to either north of NYC or to San Francisco. Priorities are of course good combo of price, affordability, safety, ease of maintenance, mileage, looks,
    reality. We've narrowed down to these three. Yes, I know Matrix is more expensive (and larger) than Fit or xA but we might buy a young used one if this makes sense. Would appreciate your feedback, advice, warnings, encouragement, etc. Thanx in advance!!
    Yes, no haggling.

It's a good deal, since the markup in them is small.

Most dealers make their real money on them by "packing" them with accessories, like $2,000 "pimp my ride" wheels and tires.

If you can get one you want, enjoy!

Keep in mind that since pricing is fixed, you might as well order if necessary to get EXACTLY what you want - side curtain airbags, for example.
    You should go to www.IIHS.org and find out how important side air bags are for safety.

The Fit will come with side air bags stock.

You can easily order (or maybe even find) an xA with side air bags (torso, not the more important side curtain airbags - the Fit will have both side curtain and side torso). The xA also comes with antilock brakes, and based on all the skid marks I see on the freeway, those are something I'd definitely want to have too.

The Matrix is extremely difficult to locate with side air bags, which are an option.
    Personally I wouldn't buy a car solely on extra safety features alone, as a) you may never need them and b) you have to live with the rest of the car for a long time. What's the good of a car you hate to drive or look at, that has curtain airbags? Not a balanced trade-off IMHO.

The Fit and the xA seem to be neck and neck on features and performance. You'd have to drive both. The Matrix's main appeal would be mostly in more room behind the back seats, if you need that. I find the xA more fun to drive than the Matrix.
    for months I finally test drove a 5-speed Polar White 2006 Scion xA yesterday! I like it!

It has the audio upgrade, including being iPod ready and it has foglights. Once again the salesman didn't even know what the car offered, but I studied the list of extras added. The stereo is nice and it has steering wheel audio controls, which I think would be really nice to have.

I told the salesman that the only thing I didn't like were the factory hubcaps, thinking that I could just buy some nice rims somewhere in Pocatello later. He had a novel idea instead of that, get this, he said that what I could do was go down the street and pick some out at Jack's Tire and Wheel during this little exercise and that we could just finance them in and pick the car up all ready to go sometime after that. He mentioned that that would save me money. I'll get the exact figures but, although I like Scion's fancy EP-10 wheels, I have a feeling that the ones I'll pick out are gonna be far less pricey than the Scion EP-10's.

I have to get my wife on board with this still, but I want to pull the trigger. She likes the '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 and we are a one-car couple. I do all the driving, too. We will save on gas and we'll pay less monthly for the car payment as well. I like the Polar White and especially with the fog lights up there. :D It's not a slam dunk but I am going to pursue buying this one, I just want my wife to be happy with the decision I have made. She doesn't drive. Keep y'all posted how it goes. This is not like an open 12-foot jumper right in front of the hoop. More it will be like a reverse layin with heavy pressure from Bill Russell underneath the basket. :D

Mr.Shiftright, did you get an automatic or a manual tranny with yours? Mine will(see what I mean, I am speaking in the possessive here)be a 5-speed. The 5-speed, coupled to the little 1.5 liter 4-cyl.did an admirable job of accelerating the little Mini-Cooper wannabe up the freeway onramp. I gave it a good spin and tested out the clutch action and schtick response. Probably take it for another spin tomorrow to be sure I like it. Oh, it has a factory-installed armrest, too! Apparently Scion got the word from buyers that we want driver's armrests! It worked fine.

Mr.Shiftright, what color did you choose? Also, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with it?

I said a few days ago on here that you won't hear a harsh word come out of my mouth about these xA's and I'm not gonna say a harsh word about them still. Pretty impressive little rigs, the 2006 Scion xA's.

I'll keep y'all posted in here what I decide to do.

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    You need to go to scion.com and build one the way you like it. Then you know the costs involved.

Since I own an xB, these are some suggestions. Get the strut bar. Also get yours without the crappy Good Year Eagle Tires. This can be avoided if you get aftermarket wheels and tires, but don't forget to see how much those replacement tires are for future consumption. Example, the Scion tc tires are around 170 a tire for replacement, and the more low profile they are, the more they are to replace.

You can get the armrest from Scion, but others like crazedcommuter have gotten an armrest from an outside source (zeta Products).

Also get the cargo mat if you don't want things to slide around the back of the car, even though the xA is smaller than the xB.

I have a manual and you will always have more power with it, but the automatic does a remarkable job and it does get 1 more mpg.

My xB gets 32-35, with most tanks being in the middle.

I test drove an xA 1.0 and it was cool. I wonder if the recent one has a moonroof.

I hope this info helps.
    I have a 5 speed in the Dark Blue...Indigo Blue I guess.

5 speed is the way to go on these....I don't give up the left lane to anyone except real nuts headed for the chain gang...otherwise the xA is fine on freeway up to 80-85 mph....after all the little guy gets wound up pretty tight....

Acceleration, ditto...there's nobody crawling up my back, ever, so it's good enough to get the job done. I estimate that with a good driver and a 5 speed you can do 0-60 in about 8.8 seconds.

Gas mileage is averaging 29-33 mpg and if you drive over 60 mph that's what you should count on. The EPA of 38 mpg seems out of reach for any realistic driving in California. Maybe on the flats of Kansas on a windless day at 60 mph, yes.

But gas mileage has to be realistic. My friends with Priuses, if they drive normally, get about 41 mpg. So I'm very happy to be 8 mpg less for half the price of their cars. And I have my foot mashed to the floor most of the time, and also do a lot of hill climbing in San Francisco.

The automatic might get a bit more gas mileage because they gear it higher---but then you lose the acceleration factor, and it could cost you 2 seconds 0-60.
    not only that but posters here on Edmunds like micweb have owned xA's and he has told of some pretty decent handling with his. Handling is kind of a personal thing. Obviously this little rig with small tires can't be thrown into turns(on approaching the right-hand turn onto I-15 northbound on the downhill I recall having to let off the little xA's accelerator and slow it down, then punched it after a nimble little turn of the wheel to the right)but I got the "feel" for how the car was gonna handle pretty quickly. It kind of reminded me of my Dad's '66 VW Fastback in 3-speed and baby blue driving in the mid-70's. That was really a pretty reliable little fastback.

Yes, shifty, I grew up north of Seattle and I would take the '66 VW 3-speed to Seattle for weekend fun. I learned how to drive a stick very effectively driving in Seattle because I had to. The Seattle drivers would come right up behind me on inclines and not give me more than about 6 inches leeway back there when the foot had to be firmly placed on the brake pedal holding me still! I'm sure you know what I mean, shifty!

This little xA is fun to drive and if(I mean when)I get that Polar White '06 xA with a 5-speed I am gonna really dig driving it. That's one angle I need to push with the wife..summertime Idaho driving fun to beautiful Yellowstone and Teton destinations! Yes! More thinking like this!

25 mpg compared to 32 mpg! Come on now! i-Pod ready and neat little foglights up there. Gentlemen, I have my work cut out for me, but I want to do this in the next couple of days. I kind of like the challenge! :D

This discussion has been closed.