Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    The first time I saw Mad Max I watched it as a futuristic type movie and didn't pay much attention to the cars. I saw it a couple of years ago but this time I watched it as a car movie and those cars were pretty cool.
  • casoncasecasoncase Member Posts: 48
    So the bad guy points a gun at my head and says: "Your money or your life" -- easy choice to make; "Your money or your goat" -- another easy choice; "Your life or your goat" -- "Gotta think about that one, Sir."

3500 trouble free miles on my '06, with the following observations/questions:

It sounds like there's a loose softball somewhere in the trunk area, which I cannot locate (yes, I know where the trunk is).

Any opinions on what a computer chip will do for HP?

Can the hood scoops ever be made functional?

Just returned from an NHRA (drag race -- there's an '05 GTO dragster a team's going to introduce very soon) event in Englishtown, NJ: Are exhaust bypasses available (legal) for the goat? There was an '05 yellow goat on display which people were mobbing to get a close look at, and sit in -- heard one duo (older guys) say, "I think it's kind of pretty," the other guy says, "I don't." But you know what? This goat was drawing nearly as much crowd interest as the dragsters. Let's admit it: the new goat is a phenomenum, like it or not.

I made a deal with a local car wash (high pressure water type): Printed up signs (to put on the inside of the car just before the car is moved into the wash) which said in English and Spanish, "Do not clean interior, Do not wipe down exterior." Showed the owner the signs and he gave me a deal: I prepaid for 11 washes at $5 per wash versus $11 per normal wash.

Finally, I cannot comprehend why a GTO would be paired with a Subaru. Here's an idea: How about pairing a GTO and a big Harley? I'll bet the Harley will kick the GTO's butt, right? Thus confirming, once again, how inferior the new goat is.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    '06? I think that was a typo :-).

Regarding a computer "chip", do you mean changing values in the PCM? The PCM is all-new for '05, and it's given the hardware (Predator) and software (EFILive, HPTuners, LS2Edit) folks a few fits. There are betas of all of these products, but nothing concrete yet. Expect to see release in another month or two... disabling torque management (M6 or A4) should help launches.

Someone, I forget who, is working on trying to duct/route air from the '05 scoops to an airbox. Can't remember who it is at this time.

Regarding your trunk issue... wonder if this is the exhaust banging against the chassis? Or maybe the fuel tank isn't secured to its frame? I assume you've pulled the spare, checked, and re-seated it. I'd have a dealer check it out...

--Robert
    You can get a brief summary of all available TSB's by going to:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

I looked and there were 37 for the '04's, and 14 for '05's. Some of these are pretty basic (i.e. "proper jump start procedure" or "handling characteristics of RWD vehicles in snow"), others more specific. Generally, if you do not bring these up to your dealer, they won't follow them.

The TSB's can be found in their entirety on other GTO-specific discussion boards, which I can't directly post the links to here. Or, you can pay for http://www.alldatadiy.com and get them there...

--Robert
  • casoncasecasoncase Member Posts: 48
    I'm not too educated on this, but guys at work suggest changing "the" computer chip for more HP. I'll have to learn more about the subject and check here now and then.

The plastic scoop covers certainly look like they are designed to be removed for some mod.

Good suggestion regarding the trunk noise. I'm taking it in this week (needs an oil change anyway)

Thanks a bunch, Robert. Jim
  • lou11lou11 Member Posts: 2
    Here's my problem:

My local Pontiac dealer has new 04 and 05 GTOs. He has the 04s discounted 10 grand so one would cost me about 25,500 out the door by the time I use my GM card rebate. The problem is that he only has automatics in the 04 model year.

However, if I want a 6 speed I have to get an 05 which will cost almost exactly $5000 more out the door.

So, I guess my question is, do you get the 04 and have money left over for mods (possibly a supercharger) or get the 05 with the LS2?

All opinions are appreciated
    There are less than 200 '04's still on the lots, virtually all of them automatics.

If you really want a six-speed, buy the '05. You won't be happy with the auto.

You can use ANY GM Card $$$ with the "GM employee pricing" promo.

The '05's have 50 more hp, bigger brakes, no more throttle cable (i.e. drive-by-wire), et. al. Not to mention the hood, revised rear fascia with separated exhausts, et. al.

If the difference is only $5k, I'd try to swing the '05, if you can afford it. When it was $10k+ (i.e. last December/January), and there were still six-speeds on the lots, the '04's made more sense.

There are few mods and tuning options for the '05's right now, but that will change very shortly...

--Robert
    Anyone going to the GTOAA Nationals next week in St. Louis? I will be there!

http://www.gtoaanationals.com/
  • rcc442rcc442 Member Posts: 56
    Darn.... that's right; LS2 is drive-by-wire, not throttle cable. I just don't trust the computer to do my acceleration for me. Seems to be another case of over-control and extra complication. And, perhaps the problem related to the sensors with the pedal are proof of this. Why did they have to mess with accelerator pedals and throttle cables? I've been driving for 30 years and have NEVER had a problem with a throttle cable, be it for a carburetor-equipped car or a fuel-injected model. For reliability and serviceability reasons, they should be making designs more simple, not more complex....

So now, I need to seriously consider a 2004 I guess, no matter how much I like the hood scoops and split dual-exhaust... No 2004's left here in South Florida, so I'll need to start searching elsewhere.... only good thing is that $10k less than an '05 even with Employee Pricing sounds good....
  • rcc442rcc442 Member Posts: 56
    Hmmm.... appears you can't use the Vehicle Locator on the Pontiac website, nor the gmbuypower website to search for a 2004 GTO.... buypower only gives Oldsmobile as a choice for 2004, and Vehicle Locator on Pontiac.com only gives 2005 as selection choice.

Anyone know how to search for left-over 2004's??

Thanks!
    Well, I did have the throttle cable stick on my Aurora... gave it some gas to get up a hill near my house, squealed going around the corner, noticed I wasn't stopping as I turned into my driveway. Turned the car off before I drove it through the garage and into my house :-)

Regarding the hood scoops, there are several folks selling the complete hoods for $450, or $550 for the full "SAP" package (complete hood, autocross grilles, autocross (Judge-like) spoiler)...

--Robert
    Anyone know how to search for left-over 2004's??

They pulled the 2004 locator off Pontiac.com/GMBuyPower.com at the beginning of the month, with less than 200 '04's around. Are you looking for a 6-speed or an Auto? I think virtually all of the remaining '04's are autos. Send me an email (my address is in my profile) with your ZIP code, and I'll ask a dealer buddy to run a search for you... if you have color preference(s), let me know as well...

--Robert
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    GO TO THE SPEEDAND TUNING FORUMS,,,,look up k/n filters........first i believe they are only good for high rpms...not the street...and the LS2 ENGINE FILTER IS NOT AVAILABLE???
    I know guys who don't take their cars to the track and they do have K&N filters... claim they can feel a difference. I modified the airbox on my Aurora and put a K&N panel filter... car felt different/better, but, since I did both at the same time, don't know what was attributable to what. I've seen both dyno and track runs showing between 12 and 19 hp increases for the cone filter on the '04's...

I understand the K&N filter for the '05 has been announced/is completed and should be shipping soon...

--Robert
  • elkiiielkiii Member Posts: 50
    I'm pretty sure this may have been posted before but I can't seem to get the search function to work right. Does anyone have a clue why 05's are in such short supply on the east coast, particularly the DC area? Most dealers I talk to say they have them coming in shortly, or they're in Kansas City or any number of excuses. Some claim the orders have been outstanding for 3 mo's or more. One claimed to have ordered some for his showroom back in Oct and hasn't seen them yet. Are they so popular that they never make it beyond the west coast. Basically I'd like to take advantage of the current GM employee discount but it looks like there aren't going to be any until after Jul 5.

I've also been told by dealers that GM may open up ordering in Aug for JAN-FEB delivery. One dealer though says he's heard 05 is the last year for GTO and GM is going to cancel the 06 model run. Anyone here anything like this?
    Pontiac GTOs near Washington DC

Sorry, Edmunds ate my previous response. Basically:

1) GM reallocated where the '05's would go, based on weather (no more cars showing up in the upper midwest in the middle of January) and where the car sells well. Top 4 areas, not in order, are LA, Chicago, Dallas or Houston, and South Florida.
    2) From the time a car is built at Holden's facility in Australia, it sits on a lot until they have the 800+ cars to fill a boat. The ship then takes 5-6 weeks to get to Benecia, CA (near San Francisco). The GTO's are unloaded, inspected, and spoilers are put on. Local California ones get on trucks, whereas the rest go on trains to the big Union Pacific trainyards in Kansas City. From there they are routed via train and/or truck to the dealer. Total time from production to dealership delivery is about 3 months.
    3) Cars show up on the dealer's GMBuyPower inventory when they are invoiced/Monroney stickers generated in California. Can be upwards of a month before the car arrives.

As to whether or not there will be an '06, this is B.S. Edmunds is showing the price of the '06 as being carryover from '05. Production will start in August or September, and right now, we don't know how many will be built (Pontiac is actually thinking of increasing the build count, if Holden can, due to the improved sales on the '05's). There are a few small changes for '06, mostly cosmetic: 2 new colors, faster seat motor, new taillamps, additional power outlet, door lock button on the center console, et. al.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    For the most part dealers I've contacted have been telling me that whats showing up in the locator database are customer orders but the ones the dealer ordered for itself are right behind those and will be in any day now. Just leave your name and number and well call you. Apparently the locator program can't tell the difference between customer orders and dealer only orders.

One told me if I want an M6 to come back at the end of August and maybe he can order one but it'll take at least 6 mo's and probably closer to 8 and thats only if GM decides not to cancel the GTO and no, he doesn't actually expect the other three the dealership ordered to ever be delivered. Of course he had 7 of them backordered since late January and was getting beaten up by people wanting their GTO. Or maybe he just got up on the wrong side of the bed.
    Thanks for the info. Just saw update on Edmunds. Good to know that '06s will be available even though it might take till Dec/Jan to get one.

Most of the dealers around here seem pretty clueless and apathetic. Or maybe they're just waiting till the current incentive plan expires to hike prices.
  • preformancenutpreformancenut Member Posts: 22
    Go for the 05, it will hold it's value better than the 04. I just took delivery on my 05 Midnight Blue six speed last week and the Tremec trans. is smooth despite what Car and Driver says. I do not think anyone makes a supercharger for the LS2 yet but as soon as mine is paid for it will have one.

With 400 hp and 400 # ft of tourqe this car pulls hard and matched with a 6 speed it will put a smile on your face when your going through the gears.">link title
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is no need to go elsewhere for TSB details. All anyone needs to do is drop by our Technical Service Bulletins and ask. 0patience and/or alcan will be happy to help out.

You can look them up here first: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls, and Technical Service Bulletins.

:shades:
  • silvergoatsilvergoat Member Posts: 12
    I placed my order for a quicksilver automatic about 3 weeks ago. The car shows up on the GM site as going to the dealer I ordered it from.
    My question is; is there a way to determine exactly where this car is.
    First the dealer told me it was in Kansas, then the other day he said it was in Atlanta, but he can not tell me when it will be in Tampa.
    If you have an order number (usually a 6 or more letter code), I can have a dealer buddy track what the status code is (a 4-digit number) on Monday...
  • silvergoatsilvergoat Member Posts: 12
    Can he track by VIN#?
  • briandelsolbriandelsol Member Posts: 12
    just took my 2005 6speed in for its first oil change (3,200miles) they told me the tranny has a leak, they did not know from where... any else have that problem? going to call the service dept. Monday, also how many miles should you go on the mobile 1 oil? My friends Corvette has the same engine and he said he goes 7-10 k before changes.
  • 442man442man Member Posts: 210
    They do make a supercharger for the LS2 in the 2005 GTO. Magnacharger or Vortech. This car pulls hard matched with the 4 speed auto as well. GM says .1 faster with auto over manual, no chance of missing a gear etc
    Hammen2, I am VERY HAPPY with my auto 4 in my 2005 GTO. Besides my wife really can't drive manual that well. Auto was a must. With my traffic in this area, auto is better. Most of my driving is in town. Similar gas milage for either. The only negative is highway driving where manual gets 4mpg better. I don't do much highway at all.
    Oh, I wasn't bashing the auto tranny - for traffic-related purposes, I have one myself :-). I'm relatively happy with it once I've tuned the car/turned down some of the torque management using a Predator... gets better mileage than the non-tuned car, too :-)

--Robert
    The problem TODAY with putting a S/C or turbo on an '05 is the lack of tuning for the LS2. You can't/won't see all of the benefits of the power adder until this nut is cracked. This problem should resolve itself, hopefully within 30-60 days...

--Robert
    The only thing I have noticed is that the Auto 4 upshifts too early. It shifts into TOP 4th gear as low as 30mph or less. I think as low as 28mph. At that speed the car is only doing about 900-1000 rpm. It shifts from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 at very low speeds, unless you get on the gas. I will have to try that Predator.

I must admit I have gotten the 21 EPA rated Highway gas mileage, this is the first car I ever got the # on. That was at a steady 65mph. I don't use it much on the highway. Mostly in town, stop lights etc. In town I get about 13 to 14, not the 16.

What does the torque management do? Just a question.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I purchased a Predator for my 04 A4 GTO, primarily to bump up the idle speed a bit to smooth out the resonance. My GTO has a problem that the dealer can't figure out, so I just bumped up my idle and all is well. Bonus was the removal of torque management (major hp drop during and immediately following shifts) and semi-custom tuning. I bought my Predator from a custom tuner. I upload my stock tune to the Predator and then transfer it to my PC. I then post my stock tune as an attachment on his website and he "customizes" a new tune and posts it as an attachment to a reply. I then upload the new custom tune to the Predator and load it through the OBDII port on the car. I then monitor the fuel management as well as the knock retard and post back the results. He then further tweaks my custom tune based on the info I provide from the Predator read-out as I'm driving down the highway. Results in a pretty good "semi-custom" tune. I unloaded the Predator tune for about a week just to see if I could tell the difference. Yes, it definitely makes a difference. Mileage improved about 10 percent and the shifts are now firm and there is no major lag right after a shift. The cooling fans turn on a little earlier now to help keep temps down. And it just flat feels stronger throughout the power band. Worth the $380 I spent (includes the custom tuning).
  • docnieldocniel Member Posts: 1
    Some additional input enre: accelerator sensor problems with 2005 GTO. Purchased my car about 3-4 weeks ago and have been able to put only 400 miles on it due to CEL repeatedly coming on and "reduced power mode". It finally has been linked to bad accelerator sensor(s) (one or both?). My dealer says they will not be able to fix for several days due to back order situation. I am hearing on other forums that it may be a month or more! Any info on GM's buyback policies will be appreciated.
    white6, My 2005 GTO is stock from the factory/dealer, no modifications and it has nice crisp/semi hard shifts to it esp at higher rpms... No major lag after shifts at all. I will keep it stock for now
    Suggest you contact Pontiac Customer Service - they may be able to help get the parts expedited.
    Did your service department put a SPAC case (special order) on the part, with your VIN number assigned? This gets you priority on it. I think the problem is that they were redesigning these throttle sensors, and I'm not sure if the new design is completed or in full production yet.

I have a Pontiac contact who may be able to help - send me an email (look in my profile). Worst-case scenario, he can get you in touch with Executive Relations. When I was going through my "lemon" experience, they were ready to offer me warranty extension, et. al. for my troubles. They really did want to avoid getting the car back (but it was too problematic for too long, so now I have a new one :-)...

--Robert
    Just FYI, my dealer's sales manager told me that:

1) The "employee pricing" promotion is working - dealers are lobbying GM hard to continue the program next month, so it will be extended. But,
    2) Not all cars will be eligible for it (i.e. Corvette wasn't). It's a pretty good bet the GTO will be excluded next month, due to high sales this month (it's getting hard to find them on lots).

Bottom line is, if you're on the fence on getting an '05, I'd jump on it now. With fixed pricing and no restrictions on which GM card you can use with this promo (just max redemption restrictions, if your card has them), now is the time to act.

--Robert
    (doesn't work for Pontiac or any dealer, just a happy '04 GTO owner).
  • preformancenutpreformancenut Member Posts: 22
    Hammen2 you seem to be up on the 05 mods. Have you heard anything new on a functional ram air setup on the 05s or any added HP with computer tweaking?

Steve
    I am hopeful that we will see such developments at the GTO Nationals - I know Arrowhead Performance (http://www.arrowheadperformance.com/) and Wheel2Wheel (http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/) were both working on kits to make the scoops effective. Be wary of AP as they tend to take awhile to produce/ship people's orders.

Ditto tuning - I know that HPTuners and LS2Edit are coming/are in beta... I know one '05 owner with a custom Stainless Works exhaust whose car has been tuned by a beta of LS2Edit IIRC... would imagine these tools will be out in the next 30 days or so - expect to hear more at the GTO Nats.

--Robert
    leaving in less than 48 hours...
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Yeah, it's my understanding that the 05's auto tranny operation was significantly enhanced. I guess its just us 04 owners that really need the Predator fix....
    The A4 was upgraded and improved for '05 (had to be, it wouldn't take the power of the LS2), but so was the torque management. So, I wouldn't exactly say that the '05 automatic owners don't have a need for a tune... they have the some of the same issues that '04 owners do...

--Robert
  • mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    I'm interested in maybe purchasing a gto, but was wondering if anyone has had the after-market sunroof installed? If so, does this provide a "factory look" as if it were installed as a factory option. Just wondering about the overall quality on the aftermarke sunroof. Does the roof available for the GTO slide out and over the roof or slide inside the roof?
    I really like a sunroof but this (plus a few other lack of options, i.e. heated seats, homelink, etc) are making me hesitate.

Thanks!
    For the Holden Monaro, a Webasto 710 "inbuilt" sunroof is installed in the factory over in Australia (but not for US-bound GTO's - evidently sunroofs aren't that popular over there). It looks OEM and goes into the roof, not above it.

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/pontiac_gto_710.htm

If you want heated seats - http://www.pfyc.com has a nice set.
    Homelink/compass/autodim/temperature Gentex mirror (p/n 50-GENK50) - eBay or http://www.aaaremotes.com/hocoaumi50.html

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    (probably offline for a few days, at the GTO Nationals)
  • 05midblue05midblue Member Posts: 20
    I've been monitoring this site for a while now, but decided to join as I picked up my 05 Midnight Blue 6spd yesterday. I feel lucky to have it as supply of this combo is not easy to come by. I was first on a short waiting list. Anyway, are the 6spds just as prone to this sensor issue as the ATs? I've got 160 miles on mine already without any safe mode errors, does this mean I'm safe if I haven't seen it yet? I'm a bit concerned, but am confident that my dealer (2hrs away) will make it right. All this talk of lemons has me nervous. :lemon: :lemon:
    --We are lucky to have hammen2-Robert onthis forum................he really knows GTOS.......................YES THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH 2005 GTO...they can go into "SAFE MODE"...loss of power...."throttle by wire"....Robert is right as I have learned from other sources on the GTOs...service bulletin concerning p/n 92183....code:P2138
    Is there a RECALL? Should we ask our dealers? Or wait for it to happened?
    seems to happen because of the drive by wire system on the 2005s{DBW]
    What should we do? lots of drivers have spoken about this on GTO sites.... :confuse:
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    ...the GTO-R makes its debut tonight in the Grandamerican Rolex racing series (live beginning at 8pm eastern on Speed Channel). They'll be on the road course at Daytona.

Goes up against a bunch of Porsche GT3 Cup and BMW M-3s in the GT class. Sounds like fun!
    If its not safety related the manufacturer may chose to go the recall route but most likely will fix it on a car by car basis. Sometimes the dealer will fix it when you bring the car in for other service, like say an oil change. But sometimes not unless you complain. You may never know if a repair is made except that the oil change took a really long time. If you're concerned I'd talk to the dealer and see how they're handling it. No garantee here but since this seems to be a really annoying type of problem I'd at least check to see if the fix is model wide or not.

I'm picking miine up tomorrow and hoping that since its a recent arrival to these shores it has the fix, if its available. The car actually arrived today (Thurs) about noon but the dealer said it won't be ready until tomorrow at 3:00 PM. He was pushing for 5:00PM so it possible they're just cleaning and prepping the car or maybe they are pre-emptively installing the fix and any other TSBs that need done if they have the parts.
    I've only seen a handful of posts about this problem. It does not seem to be THAT widespread (but it is A4 or M6, that makes no difference). I think some of the pedal lagging people are complaining about with the '05's is actually the torque management. If I owned or was considering owning an '05, I frankly would not worry about this issue unless I experienced the "reduced power mode" myself.

Regarding the gentleman on here who was having this problem, he and I have been trading emails, and I gave him my high-level Pontiac contact. He got a phone call from the GTO's Engineering Program Manager, who said that the redesigned part hasn't been released yet - they're trying to do so for his car.

I'm at the GTO Nationals in St. Louis... I will try to see if there is anyone from Pontiac with any insider knowledge, that I can ask about this issue. But, as I said, I see lots of posts on other GTO sites, and it's probably less than 10 that have had this issue...

--Robert
    does anybody known the TSB NUMBER-----for this particular problem???
    P/N 92183442
    guess the dealer would,nt do anything unlees you say something. so it is good to go in with this knowledge?????if there is a problem .
    could not find it in referenced sites. thanks :confuse:
    There is no TSB out for the '05's. This may be a known issue, and there may be a TAC case for it, but there are no TSB's out for the '05 GTOs.

--Robert
    still trying to find out more
    Here's the latest news from the Nationals - from someone who knows, but doesn't work for GM.

The revised part for this problem is done and available in limited quantities today - more as time passes. If your car throws a code and comes up in reduced power mode, take it to your dealer and have them call TAC. They can expedite getting this part to you.

I wouldn't worry about this problem unless it happened to my '05. I wouldn't hold off buying an '05 until this problem was resolved.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    Is there some actual indication that the problem has occured, like say a check engine light, or do you need to be pro-active and actually read it from the computer if you suspect there is a problem? The reason I ask is that I just picked up an '05 today. On an open section of highway the car seemed to top out a 80 MPH. A freind told me that some cars enforce a limit during the first 500 or so miles for break-in. Since there's nothing the the owners manual except a recommendation to keep it below 55 MPH for the first 500 and since I've never heard of such thing and haven't encontered it on two other brand new vehicles in the last six years I'm thinking this is actually BS and what I'm seeing is perhaps a reduced power mode. Hard to beleive with less than 70 miles on the car though.
    Yes, when this pedal sensor problem occurs, and it puts the car into the reduced power mode, it is supposed to throw a code.

Topping out at 80 mph? Should be more like 155-160 mph :-)

As far as I know, there is no "break-in" mode. Not sure what to say, except maybe disconnecting the battery for 30-60 minutes and trying again - that should reset any abuse modes that the car may be in. If it still doesn't want to go faster, well then, Houston, you have a problem. I'd take the car back/in.

One thing I learned yesterday is, on the '05's, there is a table where GM limits the throttle, based on pedal input and engine RPM (i.e. cruising at 1000 rpm, and floor the pedal, it will take away some of the input and not take you to WOT as fast as the vehicle could go). Using software like HPTuners 2.0 (coming out in the next 30 days - about $500), you can edit this table down to remove the restrictions... supposed to make a noticeable difference in throttle responsiveness.

--Robert
This discussion has been closed.