Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Can you explain how you installed a deal pedal on your '04??
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Badges are Photoshopped out... just to see. I decided not to remove them. The wheels are OEM BMW style 119 (standard wheel on 2004-2005 Sport Package 325i). They are 17x8 with a 45mm offset; almost exactly like factory GTO wheels. I purchased a set of center adapter rings made by a guy over on "another" forum. The wheels on GTO's are "hubcentric," which means they are supported by the center hub and should fit snug. GTO wheels/hubs are a bit smaller than the BMW wheels/hubs, so this fellow had adapter rings machined out of aircraft quality aluminum... a little anti-seize and they fit like a custom-made glove. This is an important step in fitting non-oem wheels to GTO's... to make sure that the wheels are perfectly centered on the hub so they run smooth and true. I purchased a trunk lid from a salvage yard and paid a professional to weld the holes and paint. $250 for trunk lid, plus a little over $400 for filling/painting. The dead pedal was kind of strange. I did something a week after I bought to car to just "get me by for now," but it works fine so I just left it. After walking around an Ace Hardware store, I found a black plastic mailbox mount that looked like it would work. I was able to trim it up and glued the sole of a used sandal (yes, the kind you put on your feet!) to it and screwed it to the kick panel. Also mounted a back support that rests on the floor behind to provide extra strength. I know it sounds like a major kluge, but it works fine and is pretty unabtrusive. Its all black, so it kind of blends in...
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    white6, your car looks awesome. if i decide to bag the 05 vented hood i'll ditch the rear spoiler too. i figure that could be trouble if i ever decide to track the car at Louden some weekend! also i might join "club motorsports" in NH where they are building a road-course and a sort of motorhead country-club.
    at what speed do folks think the spoiler really comes into play giving significant downforce? on a roadcourse i bet speeds won't get anywhere near/above 100 mph, which is probably where the rear wing gets important.
    i'm chuckling that you photoshopped out the side triangular markers. i couldn't stand those and replaced them with the monaro side marker lights. the lights look white when they are off but are orange/red when they flash. as you probably know, there are holes under the triangular plates - the side marker lights fit into the holes.
    my other "mod", courtesy of getting rear-ended when the car was 3 days old, was to get the australian rear bumper cover which is flat-black and does not say GTO. also it has a square thing in the middle which i think must be an opening for a trailer hitch. i like it way better than the darker-than-cyclone-gray "GTO" that was there before. (the car color is cyclone gray).
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i need to hook up an unswitched power line for my sirius S50 so it can record when i'm not in the car. i presume i'll have to hack into the fuse panel to do this, finding an unswitched 12V post there. in that case i'll have to make sure there is a fuse in the power line. if anyone has ideas or experience or advice regarding such a thing, please do post. thanks!
  • bluer32bluer32 Member Posts: 1
    Im thinking of making the switch to an 05 GTO what kind of insurance rates are you guys getting on these cars....
  • tolenashtolenash Member Posts: 52
    Wife and I (both 26+) have the '04 GTO and '03 Civic Sedan - w/ 1 accident and 1 ticket, 6mo premium w/ USAA is $954, outside of Charleston, SC. House is w/ a separate company, so no bundle discount except for multi-car. Also both cars still full coverage.

Before we were married my policy was $750 and hers $450.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Your car looks great.
    Mine is leased so I have only done things that can be removed.
    I have done basically the same thing with my '04.
    Deleted the spoiler and put white plastic caps in the holes.
    18" Ronal R41 wheels in sterling silver.
    And then I have actually gone the other way with the hood and decided to get the '05 SAP. I debated this but felt like the performance cue of having the twin scoops was what the car needed. I can see the twin hood scoops from the driver's seat and the looks I get from people are priceless. Last week I had a guy in a new Impala SS stop in the highway and look at my car as I was sitting at stoplight!
    Poeple don't want to race my as much now because they think it is an '05 not the less powerful '04.
    I have also left out the honeycomb grilles for the scoops so it looks like they are actually functional. There is still a black piece of plastic there but you really have to look at the scoops hard to see that they are nto functional.
    If I knew how to post a pic here i would. Or I can send it to you for posting here.">
    Well, I think my rotors are warped again.
    Had them turned last Summer and I think they need it again.
    Anybody had this problem recur?
  • rcc442rcc442 Member Posts: 56
    Anyone know if there are any dealer incentives being given by GM to move the last of the '05's? (Recall last January, I think there were incentives as high as $5000 to move the '04's out.) I realize there are fewer '05's to move this year, but it would be good to know for negotiating.

I see the consumer rebate has been raised to $2500 (thus making up for those of us who may have missed the $500 GM Card Bonus Cash, which expired Jan 3), but I'm not sure if I should try to negotiate a sale price (before rebate) of less than dealer invoice (which would be possible if there are dealer incentives available).

Thanks for any tips!
    I thought about the 05 hood, too. I think it would look great, just don't want to spend the moola. My car is a SmartBuy (due in Sept. 06) and so everything I have done is reversable, too.
    I have never understood the brake rotor problems people have. Perhaps I'm just lucky? I know the single biggest reason for rotors going bad is the lug nuts not being torqued properly. As I always rotate my own tires (and use a torque wrench), I don't have to rely on some lot jockey with an impact wrench set to infinity screwing up my rotors/studs/wheels. In fact, when I get new tires, I usually pull the wheels off and throw them in the back of the truck to deliver to the tire place loose. It's more work, but at least I know they won't cross-thread any lugs (yes, it has happened to me more than once :mad: ).
    As far as posting pics; I posted that picture over on that "other" GTO forum and then just inserted the link in my message over here.
    Anyone know of any advantages to a 2006 over a 2005 GTO? I know the tail light background color is different, and I've read on the GM Media website that there are illuminated radio controls on the steering wheel for 2006, but what I'm really interested in is whether any "fixes" to the engine control, the bushings, or other components are incorporated in the 2006's. (You know how "they" say never to buy the first year model; wait until the second year, when the "bugs" are fixed. Well, 2005 was the first year of the LS2 in the GTO, so I'm wondering whether there were any "bugs" that are fixed in the 2006.)

At this point, the 2006 appears to be only $1000 more than the 2005, considering MSRP's and customer rebates; if there are fixes incorporated in the 2006, then that plus the depreciation difference might make it worthwhile to buy a 2006, rather than a 2005...
  • beachguybeachguy Member Posts: 10
    Just purchased an 06-6M . Love it and a blast to drive. Only comment is the stiff transmission shift especially reverse. I hope this improves over time as I put more miles on the car. Any comments?

Only took me 6 years of participating in Townhall to figure out to post an actual picture not a link. LOL.

Here is my '04 with spoiler delete. 18" Ronal wheels with KDW tires and SAP hood.
    Mine was horrible when I first got it. Especially because it was Winter. It didn't want to go in reverse unless I bumped it a few inches forward in 1st, and then into reverse. I have 17K on mine now and rarely have probs even in cold weather.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    I am most probably going to get an 05 GTO in the Spring. I am trying to decide between the 6-speed and auto transmission. I currently have a 5-speed stick Jaguar X-Type and shifting gears is fun, but I would consider a good automatic instead since traffic around me is usually pretty brutal. So how is GTO's auto compared to 6-speed. I read that the clutch is somewhat stiff and the gear shifter has long throws. The auto, on the other hand, causes higher fuel consumption, although most seem to like the way it is matched to the LS2.
    Love it! Those wheels look great! I was very tempted at one point by the 18-inch VZ Monaro wheels. Decided to stay with BMW 17's; had concerns about ride quality with 18's (the extra cost was a factor as well). What is the ride quality like compared to the OEM 17's? I went with Avon 550's and have been very happy with them; much improved noise and ride comfort. I'm sure I'm giving up that last 10% of at-the-limit handling, but I don't plan on tracking it and spend 90% of my time driving down rural highways/interstates, so that's what I wanted the car to do best.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    I really agonized over the decision to go with 18s.
    Ride quality was of number 1 importance.
    I talked with some guys and they said that the kind of tire you go with will affect the ride quality too.
    I see only the slightest difference when I go overr bumps.
    The tires aren't any louder than stock(because the alignment was off the stockers had a wear pattern).

There is a big improvement in cornering and traction.
    Where it used to spin the tires on acceleration it just squats and goes. Turn in is quicker as is steady state cornering. Wet traction is better also. The tires have a very aggressive tread patern.
    Hard to believe they are from the same KD line that our KDWS were. They are wearing better than the KDWS also.

I haqve $2130 in the wheel/tire package from ronalusa.com.
    They also road force balanced them and I spent $30 mounting them here in Charleston.

The Ronals are easily the highest quality wheel I have ever owned. Everything about them is flawless.
    The sterling silver finish is a lighter silver and it really pops when the sun hits them.
  • morepower2morepower2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 4A. (I drove 5 speeds for 15 years but got the 4A because my size 13 foot would not fit between the clutch and the kick wall.) Anyway, I am currently considering more power and would like to have a Supercharger installed on my original LS1 engine. I checked with the GM dealer and they do not make one for that engine. I am considering having it done somewhere else. Does anyone know if any additional work would have to be done on the drive train, transmission etc. to make that modification. I don't have the knowledge, desire or time to do it myself and would like to go somewhere and not get ripped off. Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    There are many.
    Magnacharger.
    Vortech
    STS rear mount turbos.

You could go to tbyrne.com
    There are tons of places that will install and tune it for you.
  • monarofanmonarofan Member Posts: 30
    I found it a little stiff at first but now find the changes very smooth. Probably partly me getting used to it. I sometimes find it hard to get it straight into reverse and if I do I pop it into first and then immediately into reverse and this works well.
  • monarofanmonarofan Member Posts: 30
    I was just in Australia. The Monaro is so popular there. I would see several a day and even saw one HSV (Holden Special Vehicle) GTO which shares the same 6.0L engine as the Pontiac GTO. This is interesting since the base Monaro costs A$60k (US$45k) and the HSV GTO A$78k (US$59k). We get a bargain here and it is made there!
  • fordformefordforme Member Posts: 44
    I didn't have the time to scroll through thousands of posts, so forgive me for some of these questions. First off, congrats to all you owners. You own what I believe to be the best bargain on earth. I have no idea why I'd want a Corvette if I can get virtually the same performance in a GTO. Some questions. First off, I want the automatic just because I really don't want to shift (I am lazy and encounter traffic). How does the auto handle the torque of this engine? Are the downshifts fairly quick and smooth? I haven't test driven one yet, but I was wondering if the car is quiet on the highway. Lastly, will the dealer remove the juvenile spoiler before I take delivery? Are there big holes left after it is removed? TIA
    I have an A4 and when stock it was not the greatest. I had a semi-custom tune done with a Predator hand-held tuner and RWTD. They modified some parameters (quickened and firmed up the shifts, reduced torque management so it doesn't feel like you're going through the windshield on upshifts). They got it a little too firm at first, but dialed it back and got it perfect on the second try. Not as smooth and seamless as my last bimmer shiftronic tranny, but pretty good. I paid a little over $400 to have my trunk holes welded up and the trunk lid re-painted. Dealer will probably be higher. There are five holes to fill; four small ones and one big one (for the brake light harness to go through).
    My only real complaint at this point is an idle inconsistancy. When the outside air temperature is cold, my idle is fine. When air temps climb, my idle (in "D") deteriorates. When the temps are in the 90s, my car idles like a 30-year-old school bus; vibrates so bad that the dash buzzes. Pontiac says this is "normal." Using the "mode/set-start" procedure with the DIC, I have noticed that as temperatures rise, the battery voltage goes down. In cooler temps, stable 13.9-14.0 volts. In the 90s, voltage drops to 11.3-11.6 range. Still working on this one...
  • sakinoshsakinosh Member Posts: 34
    "My only real complaint at this point is an idle inconsistancy. When the outside air temperature is cold, my idle is fine. When air temps climb, my idle (in "D") deteriorates. When the temps are in the 90s, my car idles like a 30-year-old school bus; vibrates so bad that the dash buzzes."

That's interesting white6...has anyone else noticed this idle and battery issue? Is it only in the automatic? I live in Arizona and "cool" temperatures are definitely not the norm, so I'm wondering if I'll see this issue (when I get my GTO that is). I already have a 14 year old Acura with a quarter million miles on it...so it rattles and squeaks enough and isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing - I don't really want to hear rattles in a new car. (But she keeps on runnin' though! Knock on wood) :sick:

Oh, PS...GO STEELERS!
    I drove 3 GTOs before I bought my '04 M6.
    The first one I drove was an A4 because I had just had a fall and twisted my left knee.
    The A4 felt kind of sluggish and would shift into 2nd at low speeds. It never seemed to be in the gear I wanted but there was so much power that I woud just dip into the throttle and it would go. If I gave it a little more throttle it would quickly downshift.
    If I had driven it a little more I would have gotten used to it and liked it.
    The other things i didn't like was that the ride was jiggly and the steering was Lexus light.
    I basically wrote the GTO off at that point and posted my
    test drive results in another GTO forum.

They said 2 things 2 me that made me look at the car again.
    The tires were grossly overinflated for delivery. There was 55 lbs of air in them!
    With 35 lbs of air it totally changed the steering and the ride, both of which are quite nice now.
    Secondly, they told me to drive the 6 speed. I did and I bought it.
    You will not be disappointed with either the auto or the M6.
    My car with the M6 is actually pretty quiet at 80 mph.
    The autos will have slighty higher revs at cruise but I understand that they also beat the EPA hwy number.
    My M6 gets 25-26mpg at 75mph.

I stongly believe that the GTO is the best performance bang for the buck available. It is more reffined than the Mustang, a better long distance cruiser, and has a very nice, high quality interior.
    Thanks for the reply. My friend used to own a 2001 Corvette and it also exhibited what I consider a lumpy idle. I guess that is the inherrent nature of the beast. Not a big issue. Thanks for your reply!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    The car does have a bit of a shake at idle - it's the cam lope - but I think white6's problem is something different. Regardless, the minor shake at idle is normal.

I have an A4 and don't have the idle or battery problems. The stock battery sucks - mine leaked from the day I took delivery/car went into storage last January (long story, I'm in Wisconsin, it's GTO #2) and I dropped the darn thing (of course it landed post-first and fractured). Bought an Optima Red Top ($80 through a friend of a friend) and haven't looked back...

I did not care for the stock A4 shift patterns. I'm using the updated Predator performance tune and not only do I like the shift points much better, I get better than the EPA highway MPG ratings. Or maybe it's all of the Zaino on the car :-) Regardless, a good tune will do wonders for an A4...

--Robert
    I'll take that under advisement. :)
    Hard to believe they still charge for the GGT. A car that gets mid 20's on the highway should not have to pay a hefty fee for that privilege.
    I even had the service advisor pull a 04 A4 demo GTO around to the service bay to compare to my car at idle. He acknowledged a significant difference between my car and the demo, but couldn't offer a solution. GM says the car is "normal" and therefore wouldn't authorize any further warranty work. I have read about a Corvette owner that found an intelligent dealer service tech (that actually cared!) that was able to rid his car of this same problem by replacing the alternator. I suppose it could be a faulty voltage regulator that, as temps increase, starts breaking down. My symptoms seem to indicate this direction; unfortunately it would be up to me to attempt this at my expense. Not sure at this point I want to accept the financial responsibility for a defective product that should be repaired under warranty. This is one reason I never buy extended warranties. Another problem these cars have in common is the delicate front strut bar bushings. They are fluid filled and after one emergency stop will rupture and leak this fluid. I have photographic proof of this fact. The bushing then becomes a floppy, hollow rubber donut that allows the front tires to deflect significantly during normal driving and will render any attempt at front end alignment futile. I have replaced my "blown" busings with aftermarket solid poly bushings to restore directional stability and allow it to hold an alignment. Another example of defective parts that the manufacturer refuses to recognize. Just something everyone should know...
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    Well, you did a good job! It looks just like mine except for the wheels and no spoiler! I'd love to get rid of the spoiler but since I am leasing I would probably have to put it back on when I turned it back in.
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    I've wanted to upgrade my '04 for some time but haven't found the right one. Now I'm reading about problems the '05s have and GM doesn't want to bother to fix. I guess that is why it is going bankrupt. I was hoping to get into an early '06 but they haven't seemed to have fixed any of the problems. The only thing new for '06 is the clear taillight lens like you pointed out, and a door lock button. Don't know about the 'illuminated radio controls' since I drove the '06 during the day. Gee, what an incentive. Anyway, I was really hoping for a faster seat motor but I guess that was an improvement they just couldn't bother with. So for what it will cost me to upgrade, I just don't know if it is worth it. Expecially since some of the problems go all the way back to the '04 model.
    My '04 is leased also.
    It takes less than 10 minutes to take the spoiler off and I bought (4)3/8" and (1)3/4" caplugs in the hardware drawers at Lowe's.
    The only hole you need to worry about leaking is the 3/4" one because the other 4 drain into the trunk channel.
    I say go ahead and try it and if you don't like it put it back.

Lastly GM had record sales in '05 with over 9M vehicles sold Globally.
    They are not going bankrupt.
    I thought one of the upgrades for the '06 WAS a faster seat motor? Is that not true?

-Faster seat motor
    -Extra power outlet under radio
    -Darkened taillights
    -New colors

And what other problems w/ the '05's are there? I've read about the oil consumption one that basically was a non-issue for most posters once they let the car get over 3k miles and be broken in. Once the rings properly seated, it sounded like all of their issues went away.
    Only other '05 issue I know about was the gas pedal sensor/"Safe Mode" problem that a few people experienced (since the '05 and '06 don't have throttle cables). I was also under the impression that the oil consumption problems only afflicted a handful of vehicles (Vettes too) and that the problems didn't go away after mileage, only by engine replacement...

--Robert
  • gottabgtogottabgto Member Posts: 95
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the ABS.
    I had to come to a fairly abrupt stop from about 60 mph on a wet, rainy day. The ABS Fault warning indicator came on and the traction control switched off and could not be turned back on. I stopped, restarted the engine and everything went back to normal. But now, out of the blue, the warning light comes on and the traction control switches off. It remains in that state until the car is restarted.
    The book says see the dealer and that the brake system will still operate without ABS.
    So - I'm going to see the dealer :sick: but just wondered if anyone else has seen this problem.
    Thanks
  • lindseyrlindseyr Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I am having the exact same problem with my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE. Now my brakes are pulsating on dry pavement as well. I have alot of people that think it is just a sensor that has gone bad but I know I don't have ABS brakes or traction control. I also am getting more road noise off my front tires. I don't understand what is going on with it. I am going to take it to a dealer but am worried about how expensive its going to be.
    Interesting that your list does not include the "illuminated steering wheel radio controls" line item that I found on the media.gm.com website here: http://media.gm.com/us/pontiac/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_gto/index.html

And, the list at that website does not mention the "Extra power outlet under radio" nor the "Faster seat motor" items you mentioned.

I consider the "rough idle" during hot weather a problem, as well as the less than optimal power in the A4's, and the bushings that lose their fluid under heavy-to-extreme braking. I don't know if there are other issues with the LS2 (for example, premature internal wear, etc.) that have not yet shown up in consumer cars but may be known to GM due to ongoing testing.

BTW, I'm disappointed in the 2006 pricing. While they reduced the MSRP $1005, the dealer invoice price appears to have dropped a mere $304, meaning we really won't be able to buy the '06 for less than the '05 from the dealers. Also don't forget that since '06 is the "last year" of this run, and there will be no '07 model, some dealers may decide to hold on to the end of their '06's (later this year) until they get the price they want.
    I'm using the updated Predator performance tune (sent mine back in last May to be upgraded, so it's a more recent tune). When I do some performance mods, I'll have RWTD (Running With The Devil) do a custom tune...

--Robert
    "rough idle" in hot weather is a problem I've only heard of on white6's car. They don't all have that problem.

Less than optimal power on the A4 is a function of the tune on the car (and torque management). These are easily disabled or adjusted. Don't forget, M6 owners get the lovely "skip-shift" function until it's disabled. The radius rod bushings do seem to be a significant issue, which leads to alignment issues, which leads to strut rub. I'll be buying the upgraded bushings and getting my alignment checked when I pull my car out in a month and a half.

As to buying the '06 versus the '05, dealers got a final payout of $2500 on the '05's, so you should be able to get one for significantly less than an '06 (I was under impression that only the MSRP dropped on the '06's, not the dealer invoice). The improvements from '05 to '06 aren't as significant as from '04 to '05 - unless you want one of the '06-only colors (Spice Red, Brazen Orange). GM has not released production goals for the '06, but, given that there will be no '07, and they'll be building GTO's only (the Monaro and Vauxhall VXR are done) until at least June, maybe end of August (no later than that, though, since the current model won't meet FMVSS specs as of September 1), there may be cars sitting on dealer lots into next year.

--Robert
  • dclark2dclark2 Member Posts: 91
    The pricing of the gto is irrelevent. They lowered msrp,not invoice. Who pays msrp anyhow? I got my '06 red/red m6 w/ 18" wheels toward the end of last november. With their redtag promotion and a $500 auto show discount, I got it for around $30,600, plus shipping and a $40 doc fee.
    Outside of a bad head unit, no problems with it.I got some hotchkiss sway bars in the garage that I am dieing to get installed though.
    In one GTO forum, a dealer claimed that he is getting an additional 20 cars for his yearly allocation, making it around 55 cars, with the last being delivered in June. Also, I read that they will be increasing production for feb/march. They could stop around that time. Remember, they need tine to retool the factory for the next Holden model.
    Thanks; you have put my mind more at ease. I knew the C6 'vette had early problems (from the C6 forum: "The majority of the C6 problems occurred with the first 6000 or so 05s. As the model year went on GM made changes and the 06s should be more reliable than the 05s."); I wasn't sure if the same was true of the '05 GTO.

Thanks also for the info about the final payout to dealers; that was the piece of the pricing puzzle I was still missing. I didn't realize the line will be GTO-only; if GM overproduces, then I suppose there very well may be incentives at then end of '06. It comes down to whether I want to try to sell the '96 Impala SS myself and wait for more substantial incentives on the '06, or trade it in now on an '05. (No one has a crystal ball; if there won't be customer rebates of $2000 or more at the end of '06, it may be better to trade now; otherwise it might be worth it to take the time to sell the Impala myself. Given GM has publicly stated it wants to curtail rebates...)
    Who pays msrp anyhow?

Unfortunately, I live in South Florida, and the dealers here tend to hold out as long as they can for top dollar. They all post their own "premium" stickers to start above MSRP. It wasn't until the "Employee Price for Everyone" and the "Red Tag Event" that we finally got decent deals here. That's why, while I would prefer to buy an '06 in Sept or so, I don't trust that, without a GM program of some sort, it will be possible to crack a fair deal here. And, if GM is serious about trying to reduce/eliminate rebates in favor of lowering MSRPs, the out-the-door price of '06's here may be substantially more than a left-over '05 now...
    "It comes down to whether I want to try to sell the '96 Impala SS myself and wait for more substantial incentives on the '06, or trade it in now on an '05."

You might be surprised to find that that the resell value of the Impala has dropped in the last few years. You might as well keep it ( my wife has been driving my '96 Impala to work everyday, even with that junky front drivers panal!)
    rcc442...the Pontiac website has a list of standard features for the '06. Here you'll see the (2) power outlets located on the console and "supposedly" the "increased travel speed for rear entry." Not really sure how much they are increased and it would be nice to hear if people have noticed a significant difference.

link">http://www.pontiac.com/gto/specs_viewall.jsp

The bushings would definitely be an issue for me, but small price to pay and it sounds like the "skip shift" is fixable - so now my only real issue is "Cyclone Gray or Spice Red?!!" I'm just torn. :D
    I had missed this $2500 payout on '05s.
    What are the total incentives then?
    Is it $2,000 + a possible $2500 from the dealer for a total of $4500.

Please clarify.
    Thanks in advance.
    Customer rebate on the 2005 is now $2500, and as I understand from Robert's post, the dealers have received $2500 for any remaining, unsold 2005's. However, you would probably not get a dealer to admit receiving the $2500, and it's up to him how much he will sell the car to you for (in other words, how much lower he'll go in price, knowing that he has just received $2500 from GM). Don't make the mistake of believing that $2500 is something the dealer is going to "give" you... he's still out to make as much as he can from each sale. So, he can now brag that he can sell one to you "at invoice!", when in fact, he'd still be making $2500 + his hold-back!

(We'll let Robert clarify...)
    I hear you, but $9000 (estimated trade-in vlaue) is still $9000... I think I can use the cash more than the 10 year old car (it has just under 50,000 original miles, almost-new tires, and I'm the original, non-smoker owner). I hate to part with a good, solid cast-iron LT1, but I really prefer a two-door car...
    As a fellow Impala owner who now also owns a GTO, this post is for you!
    Things that I like better about the GTO:
    faster, better handling, way nicer interior, six speed
    Things I like better about the Impala SS:
    Way, way more trunk space, more interior room.
    One thing that I noticed about the GTO that bugs me is that the steering wheel is offset to the left of the driver
    My Impala also has numerous mods for hp and handling.The interior is falling apart, the paint is rotting, but the rest of the car is pretty fine. For a long road trip, the Impala is still tops.
    But the GTO is one heck of road car for a 2 door coupe.
    Long wheelbase, solid body and not too stiff supsension.
    Going from a Camaro to a GTO made me wonder how I ever took a long trip in that thing.
This discussion has been closed.