Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Larry, quit holding out on us! Post your announcement! I know we've chatted about it, but we need to see a post in here. This is the official place for such a thing.

Share the joy with everyone.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • huck7huck7 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks all for the advice on the doors. Wow, on my CJ you just lifted them out and tossed them in the back. But then, they were doors in name only.

Any advice on the 2002 Wrangler X? Reading through the brochures and web sites, there seems to be little difference between the X and Sport other than a couple of grand. We have a small dealership here, so I have not had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

Huck
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    They are small TORX screws. You can get a small set of them at SEARS. TORX style screws and nuts are all over your JEEP so investing in a set of them may not be a bad idea. GOOD LUCK!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Try this for the full brochure, with all the specs, all the colors, all the options etc. (It's a 'pdf' file so you need Acrobat Reader.)

http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/full_specs/full_specs.pdf

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey tsjay,

Larry's probably too busy enjoying his new Wrangler to have time to do a post! He'll get around to it soon, I'm sure. :-)

yellowman
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    Announcing the arrival of my new jeep. Sorry for the delay tsjay but it has been too much fun driving her to take time out for the announcement. Yellowman was right. Order placed on 11/8/01, shipped on 11/28/01 and delivered on 12/12/01. Wife and I are well pleased with all the options ordered. 2002 sienna Sahara w/tan dual tops, 5m, trac-lok, etc. She even arrived in time for the 0% incentive PLUS the 7yr/100,000 powertrain warranty! Just wish the wife wasn't so carried away with her. But I can understand why. Lots of fun to drive! Looking forward to the trip to CO this summer.

Thanks to all the Edmunds' gang for the advice on options to order and how to track her during build and shipping. It was like tracking Santa's trip as she made her way from the factory to the dealer.

I will try to update more often but it certainly is hard when there is a Wrangler in the driveway!

larry18
    I have been dying to congratulate you here on this board, but I didn't want to do so before you even posted your announcement!

So, here goes.... CONGRATULATIONS, LARRY!

Get some good pics and post them.

I am so happy for you!

tsjay

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Another Jeep is born!!
    Sounds GREAT larry...TAZZ says hello to his new cousin!!
    well my lovely wife did it again..
    she bought me the Hallmark Jeep ornament..Looks great on my Christmas tree.
    Sorry..i havent been here in a couple of days..
    my son's birthday party is tomorrow (he will be 5)..Trying to get it all..planed.
    Take care jeepers!!

Got Jeep?
    Bama
    Where have ya been, Boy? We miss ya! Let's start posting again in here ( I know you have posted a couple times lately, but you ain't posting as often as you used to ) and chatting in gill's!!!

tsjay

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Congrats!!!

Now, if you so choose, you can bum out NYCJeeper and name your Jeep :-D Believe me, the excitement will last a long time. I've gotten many many people comment on my Jeep, including a postman at the post office today!!

yellowman
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I'll say it again....I'm sure jealous as that is exactly what I want with automatic trans. Can't wait to see more pics in the daytime ;-)

Don't want to take up too much time as I'm kinda tired tonite.

I'm sure I'll be posting again before Christmas but in case some others of you will not...Have a safe and enjoyable Christmas and an Extra Special New Year.

To those of you serving in the military whether at home or around the world...Thankyou and God Bless....you make us proud and greatful for your sacrifice and service!

Hug Your Jeeps For Me Today (and give yours an extra hug since it's a Jeepie (new baby jeep) )

dwrangler
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Have fun with your new Jeep, Larry. I bet you feel like a kid with a new toy! Sure brings back memories. I had a hard time tearing myself away from my Sahara when I got it back in July. I'm still enjoying it a bunch! Took the top down today. It's supposed to be mild here in Atlanta for the next few days.

You'll really love having it in the Spring. Have fun!

Laura
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Have fun with it and get it really dirty somewhere. You have bought the most fun vehicle around!
    mtngal...Get it dirty!!
    now why would he wanna do anything like that...
    24,000 car,,,then get it dirty...
    Larry keep that jeep looking BRAND new..
    thats my motto.
    Tazz wil never see the off-road thats for sure.
    Take care jeepers..

Merry Christmas!
    BamaTazz
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    Even tsjay has had Thelma off road. Come on Bama....go find a trail and get Tazz at least one good coat of mud on him! Now I understand about a 24,000 vehicle and all and I do not mean to go through a mud hole up over your axles, but at least drive down some trails where you will actually need to use 4-wheel drive. You won't realize how much fun you are missing until you try it.
    I second 2001's comments! You don't have to do anything crazy, but do a little "mild" offroading and have some real fun!

I am going to get serious about finding some places around here to play a little. I still haven't made it down to that place at Land Between the Lakes National Park to check it out, but I definitely will soon.

I also want to find some good places right here within a few miles of home.

Like Kevin said, just go somewhere that requires the use of four wheel drive. It doesn't have to be the Rubicon Trail or anything. Tazz would love it! Thelma Jane sure enjoyed her little taste of offroading.

tsjay

No way guys...not this tazz..
    My wife has threated me this car has to last forever..
    So no dirt or mud on this TAZZ...
    Beside is the Anniversary Edition...gotta keep it in showroom condition..
    Be back later...gotta go wash tazz...
    Kidding...
    Guys I understand...I just cant do it..
    not yet anyway

Bama
    I know what you mean about wanting your Wrangler to last forever. Mine better, because I'll dump that Taco as soon as I can afford to. That means the Wrangler has got to last for a couple hundred thousand miles.

On the other hand, I got it to get it dirty. I'm not a hard core off-roader, but on the other hand, I got the Jeep to get me places I couldn't otherwise go. And it does that totally effortlessly, and doesn't seem to have stopped it from quickly becoming a high mileage vehicle. In fact, the only thing really wrong (and not yet addressed completely) is the turning stops I mentioned earlier, which seem to be the result of an accident on the freeway - not because of any dirt/sand/streams etc. that I've visited.

So go out and find a nice, easy dirt road to follow. Like one that goes up to some beautiful mountain lookout. Or an otherwise unoccupied beach. Or a trailhead that doesn't get visited very often where the trail winds through a lovely forest. Or visit a ghost town in the middle of the desert. Or (my favorite) drive that dirt road that parrallels a route that backs up every holiday weekend to the point it takes an hour and a half to go 7 miles. All are good ways to get a Wrangler dirty without racking up a huge repair bill.

But the best thing about the Wrangler is the people that love them. We all use them for such different purposes - mine pretty much stays dirty, and yours won't see a speck of dust for years. My hard top never comes off, but if tsjay had his way, his top (and doors) would never be on. Can you name another vehicle that can do all that?
    You enjoy that Jeep the way you want to! Mtngal is right... we all use them for different purposes, and the only important thing is that we get pleasure out of owning and operating them.

I agree that a Jeep is a ton of fun even if you never get off the pavement. It took me almost a year to even attempt the mildest form of offroading. I still can't see ever getting Thelma Jane into anything very rough at all. But, I have to admit it was fun doing that little bit of tame stuff offroad, and it didn't hurt her one bit.

I am anxious to find more places to play offroad with her.

c ya

tsjay

I agree..
    Thats what makes jeep a jeep..
    its verstitity..a "go to work" vehicle like mine..
    A toy like mtgal.."best friend" Like thelma...
    But..im REALLY thinking about taking the doors off in the spring time..
    Love the top down...i know doorless would be even better.
    IF I...I mean WHEN i win the lottery i will buy a 2nd jeep just to get it dirty...

Keep jeepin guys
    Bama
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Wife and I are certainly enjoying the jeep. It's even more fun than we anticipated. Really looking forward to taking it off-road. I do plan to get it dirty whenever possible. They do wash! Jeeps are fun on the paved roads but are awesome when off-roading.

Maybe I can talk tsjay into meeting some of us in CO this summer and get Thelma really dirty! Bamatazz would also be invited. BYOS&C (bring your own soap & chamois)

larry18
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    This arrived from my cousin and her husband today. Good to have other Jeepers in the family.

http://www.ewylie.com/photos/xmasjeep.jpg

Happy Holidays All!

-twylie

A Jeep...the open road whether it's paved or dirt...I mean really, WHAT COULD BE BETTER? ;-)

Wish I had mine now, but I will patiently wait(oh boy) for my time to come. :(

Keep checkin' the Mud Hole chat to see if it's up yet.

Get them Jeeps dirty :-) Washing them is part of the fun ;-)

Hi there Twylie.

I hope everybody has a great holiday season...Merry Christmas and Happy Jeep Year!

Hug your Jeeps for me! ;-)

dwrangler
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I have a couple of things.

First, HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all the Jeepers out there. Although I don't post often, I feel like I have a lot of friends here.

Second, tsjay has tried to get all of us to name our jeeps. I just could not come up with one. However, after watchig "A Christmas Story" for about the tenth time with the Red Ryder BB gun thing it dawned on me. My jeep is flame red, so, how about Red Ryder (Rider, get it?). Or maybe just Red Rider. Anyone think one is better than the other?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I like it!

Plus you can get some fancy tyres for it too. Must be a Jeep Thang.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I don't know...you're going to shoot your eye out with that thing :)
    Red Ryder is good! You call him "Red" for short sometimes. If you are really wanting to get his attention, then you can use the full "Red Ryder."

tsjay

Well..guys looks like another years is behind us..& wow...look at all those jeeps out there.
    Wanted tell all of you a big THANK YOU>
    ive been on here a year now. Thanks for all your help on what I needed to know about jeeps.
    I feel like ive met some very good friends along the way. Dont know if I will be able to post anymore the rest of the week..Gotta play Santa..
    My 2 kids are SOO excited too.
    Then Im on vacation for a week (Nashville here i come)
    I would like to wish all of you a VERY Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
    Be safe

Keep Jeepin
    Terry, Michelle, Andrew, Caitlin, & of course
    TAZZZ
    Sounds like a great name. Whenever things work out for me to get my Jeep I plan to name it Tigger since my icon at Gill's is a tiger :)

Have fun playin' Santa Tazz ;)

To the Mud Hole Gang and ALL of the rest of my Jeepster friends have a great holiday if I don't get to chat with you.

Sorry I missed the chat tonite guys...I forgot...I'm used to being in class til 9 on Thursdays...oops.
    Well it's late and I need to get to bed. I have a meeting with the financial aid advisor at Lindenwood University tomorrow after I get done with the company lunch...so take care all.

Hug your Jeeps for me

dwrangler
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Checking the time stamp on your message, looks to me like you are peeking in here from work. I don't blame you, I look in a couple of times a day. Being retired, it might be anytime.
    Ssshhhhhhh!!!! Don't tell on me! :)

Yes, I have been known to occasionally get on the net at work and check in here.

How ya doing up there in the Windy City? How's the Jeep? Think you'll have some nice big snows to play in this winter?

c ya, wheelsdown

tsjay

• jalesch1jalesch1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone...just wanted to put my two cents in and say that I'm incredibly excited to be ordering my first ever Wrangler in the next two week. It will be an "X", with options. Dark red, tan hard top...

After several years of family hand-me-downs, I'm back to a real off-road vehicle. My last was a beloved 2-door, 1989 V6 Dodge Raider, which I still miss greatly. I think the Jeep will finally stop my wandering eyes.

Happy holidays!
    Congrats on your order! Let's have some more details on those options.

I would definitely have to check out the "X" model if I were buying a new Jeep. All I was really after in the Sport was the 4.0 engine, and you get that with the "X".

For the benefit of others in the market for a new Wrangler, please let us know what you get it for in relation to invoice. That's the sort of info that helped me immensely when I bought my Jeep about a year ago.

Hope you will be a frequent poster. Welcome to Wrangler IV!

tsjay

Congrats on ordering the most fun vehicle there is on the market right now! What a wonderful Christmas gift.

I want to wish everyone on the board happy holidays - I'm heading for Vegas this weekend to spend Christmas with family. My other half wants to take the Taco (sniff, sniff) because of the better gas mileage. Oh well, we had snow last night so we took the Wrangler into work today. In fact, we've had more snow in December this year than we had the last two years. The best thing is that with gas prices so low, I don't cringe every day when we have to fill up! What's even better - 4 days without our 150 mile commute and I don't have to take vacation time to get it!

So have a wonderful holiday everyone, and lets get those Wranglers dirty!
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Just wanted to say Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to all.

Here in Colorado Springs, we got a light dusting of snow tonight (it's almost midnight now) but I don't think we'll have a White Christmas.

But so far, the holidays have been great! I received an early present. My wife got me a GPS (eTrex Vista) just in time for my off-road trip on Sunday. I don't have pics of myself, but I do have some of the club I was with (Colorado Four Wheelers). You can see their page at

http://home.off-road.com/~co4wheelers/index.htm

What I can say is my plain ole stock Jeep Wrangler (with Trac Loc) did great on this trail. We had almost 12inches of snow in some parts, and many of the hills were pretty steep. It was a blast! I did a bit of slippin' and slidin', but no damage to the Jeep, and everything washed off afterwards. I plan on keeping my Jeep looking brand new. But I enjoy it so much more when I actually get to take it off road. I recommend a little off-pavement driving to everyone with a Jeep. That's what they are made for.

Again, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Feliz Nuevo Ano to all. Please keep in mind all those great Americans who don't get to spend the holidays with their families. And do a good deed for someone without expecting something in return.

Madman

Good to hear from you again! Glad you are enjoying that Jeep. Seems like you have some awful nice places to go wheelin' out there.

Hey, why don't you ever come to gill's chat room and spend some time with us?

Mad, just gotta tell ya again how good it is to have you back in the Good Old USA! Thank you so very, very much for serving our country.

Like you said, let's all remember our men and women who are currently serving overseas. I know it must be tough to be so far from home during the Christmas season. That's when families ought to be together. God Bless all of you in our armed services and thank you for the sacrifices you are making for the good of our country.

Come, on Mad, come to gills once in a while!

tsjay

Hey, how are things over there in Germany? You still having fun with that Jeep?

Just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you and wish you a Merry Christmas. Also, I wanted to thank you for serving our country and for the sacrifices you have to make in order to do that. Please tell all the other American military personnel and their families over there that we appreciate them and wish them a Merry Christmas.

tsjay

• huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    jalesch1, please do keep us updated on your new arrival. I am curious of your views of the difference between the Sport and the X. I can only see cosmetic differences, that and a couple of grand.

Huck
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone seen the Wrangler in Amber Fire (sort of an orange color). It looks good in the brochure, but the pictures are at sunset when most cars look sort of like amber fire.
  • lawless2lawless2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Wrangler, the turn signals are starting to crap out. I turn them on and they just stop working. Anyone have this happen to you?

This just started a couple of days ago, so I haven't got to call the dealer yet. The one thing I am not going to tolerate is getting jerked around with a lot of "service fees" to chase an electrical problem. Any ideas?
    If your Jeep is an '01, it's still under warranty, right? They should take care of that problem under warranty, and it shouldn't cost you a penny.

I had the same experience on my 01, and it was fixed under warranty. It was the stalk that had gone bad, and after having trouble locating one, they finally got one in and replaced the bad one. It was a pretty easy job once they had the part. Maybe they are easier to find now, but they had to call all over the country to find one for my Jeep. The DC parts warehouses didn't have one, and they had to start calling other dealers to get one. That was back in the summer.

Hope you get it fixed.

tsjay

I have seen a couple TJ's in this color. Personally I don't care for it, but as with any color our tastes may be very different. It looks really close to the color on the brochure. I guess it would be a good color for someone wanting something different from most Jeeps on the road, but who doesn't want to go as bright as the solar yellow.
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Hey all,
    Yep, it started snowing with a vengeance at about 11AM, and it is now 7PM in Tuzla, Bosnia. It looks like about 6-8 inches so far with more coming down. Too bad I don't have the Wrangler.

Guess I will just have to settle for driving a Hummer...

My wife sent me a video of the Appalachian Jeep Jamboree in October. What a hoot! I didn't know you could have so much fun at 2 miles an hour. My wife apparently promised everyone that I would be with her at the next Appalachian Fall Jambo.

That's one promise I plan on keeping.

What will be interesting is that we have differing views on the use of the Wrangler. Very similar to the discussion recently here on this board. She thinks her Sahara is a four wheel drive, around town sports car, and cringes everytime I slam a door too hard.

I figure it's a Wrangler, it's only in it's natural element when it's muddy, or snowy, or Rock Crawling.

She has to win since it's her vehicle, but it will make for interesting conversation!

Specially if she allows me to drive.

Special thanks to Spyrodragon and his girlfriend for taking the time to look my wife and her Dad up. They really enjoyed meeting you.

Also, if anyone else went to that Jamboree, let me know if you met them. My wife's name is Pam, and her Dad's name is Les (He flew in from Washington state just for this event).

And, oh yeah, her '98 Sahara is green with a giant "A" on her wheel cover. (Yep, we're Appalachian State Grads...)

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your support of me and the rest of the soldiers overseas.

Have a safe and pleasant holiday, and I hope to see some of you next October in Murphy NC!!

AppState88
  • cptsteamcptsteam Member Posts: 12
    I have read alot of these posts...and thought for a long while about either selling my car (a 98 yellow mustang Cobra) and getting a super SUV (Toyo Land Cruiser, Land Rover,) or a more normal one (Pathfinder, Tahoe.) While I did not relish this idea it seemed the pratical "logical" decision. I am not married, and I am in my late twentys but I still was thinking it would make the most long range sense. Some of my friends insisted on getting a truck and maybe trying to keep my car.

My needs are to tow a 2 seat jetski (1,000 pound max weight including trailer, while my car tows the ski it looks lame and I can't beach launch it at the lake!) Have an oka snow ski vehicle. Have a vehicle that I can carry some bigger things than I can get in the mustang (TVs, boxs, etc.), have a little more room for the occasional time I need to carry 2+ folks, and ALSO have a vehicle I can get dirty (still trying to get the tree sap off my mustang from when I went to the mountains in CA!)

I just paid my car and jet ski off......and am looking at getting a house here shortly so I don't want any nutty payments...and I have driven most of the afformentioned vehicles.........and despite what some have said....GOSH DARNIT I GET A KICK OUT OF THE LITTLE WRANGLER when I test drive it. I have been looking at getting a more off road oriented vehicle for 6+ months...and I the Wrangler looks real good.

It seems for my needs the wrangler makes sense...........or am I nuts like every one elese here? The jeep is just real comfortable to drive...tons of head room........and they have a real nice firm suspension not the soft standard SUV suspenion. I think as a second vehicle it make sense.

I heard that the 2002s have a better sterio system and better HVAC...do you folks find that to be true.......I was thinking of getting a 2001 and getting a better stero system and speakers, is that worth doing and if so which brand? I see a add on boom box MOPAR for the wrangler...but due you have to take out the rear seat to use it?

The Sport seems like it has more included than the X, and the Sahara just seems like and over priced Sport....what are everyones thought, are the Sahara seats that much tougher?

THE BIGGEST QUESTION IS DO I GET 5 SPEED OR AUTO. My current car is a 5 speed......and it sounds like the 5speed in the jeep is a better tranny than the 3 speed auto..........but my big consern is ice/snow and sand/gravel operations with the stick. With towing and with reliablity the stick I am sure is better. Whats everyones thoughts? If you kick it in 4 LOW with the stick on the sand does that help?

I am gravitationg to yellow to match my car (it seems talking to people that either people love or hate yellow jeeps) with duel tops, trac lock, and am torn between ECCO wheels and the 30inch group...what all around better on the sand and snow? Also in the DANA 44 or ABS worth it?

Lastely I work for the airlines and would not mind flying and place in the states if I can find the jeep I want at the price I want...anybody have any good ideas? I live in Las Vegas so the South West is prefered.....though I hear Roger Smith up in Kellog Idahoe will seel wranglers new for 500 under invoice.

Wells thanks before hand for any helpful hints....I know this is a long message with many questions......

Hopefully Jeeping soon,

Joe

P.S. I plan on getting some black nerf bars, and some extra under body shielding who makes the best? MOPAR stuff good for this?
    Wow! Lots of questions! I like the way you're thinking, though.

Joe, a Wrangler is just plain FUN to own. It may not do all the jobs you described above, especially those where cargo room is necessary. The combination that I have is great: an old S-10 pickup and a 2001 Wrangler Sport. The pickup is handy when cargo room is needed and serves as a good daily driver for my commute to work. The Jeep, of course, is FOR FUN!

I had no problem at all with the Jeep as far as driving her to work, but as long as I have an old, high mileage vehicle to drive now, I figured there's no sense putting all those miles on the Jeep.

Ok, so the only real problem that I can see with a Jeep in the situations you mentioned would be space. But, if Jeeps weren't so small, they wouldn't be Jeeps and would not be as much fun as they are now.

My advice... get the Jeep, and if you find that you occasionally have a need for a vehicle with more cargo room, then buy an old car or truck for just a few thousand dollars.

You can see my Thelma Jane at...

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

I have never been sorry that I got a Jeep!

You will definitely want the 4.0 L engine, so you will want either the "X" or the "Sport."

I personally prefer the stick, but lots of folks have auto's and are happy with them. If you won't be in a lot of stop and go traffic, then I suggest the stick. The only way that I think I would choose the auto is if I were going to be doing a lot of city driving.

Hope this helps, and, by all means, email me if you have specific questions, or just post them here to get everyone's opinion.

As far as the yellow, that is just about THE most popular color now. I like it too. It took a little while for me to get used to it, but now it is one of my top choices. I am very happy with white, though.

tsjay

• dopleedoplee Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    I have a car alarm on my wrangler and I need to get another alarm remote for my wife. Can anyone direct me to a place where I can order another remote on my existing wrangler alarm besides the dealer?

Many thanks,
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    What make of alarm do you have fitted?
    I would definately recommend getting the Dana44. I am not sure if you plan on doing any off-roading or not, but it is a much more robust rear end. I would also highly recommend the 5-speed. Test drive both the auto and stick at highway speeds and check out the RPM's. The only reason I could see getting the auto is if you do a lot of highway driving.

As far as towing, I have small trailer (5'x10') I use to tow my atv and if I need to haul something that won't fit inside. The Wrangler would do just fine towing your jet skis and anything else under 1,000 lbs.

Here is a picture of my 2001 Sport

Just stopping by...Jeepers..

Wow..im behind you guys are posting like crazy again!!!

My lovley wife bought me a Bikini top for TAZZ

WOW!! Now i gotta wait till spring till I try it out..

cpt steam..I agree with tsjay..

You REALLY need the 4.0 so lean toward the X or the sport..If your panning on replacing the stereo..Might wanna look for an 01.

I was looking at the saharas..I couldnt take the interior..

Keep you posted...

All of you...keep safe...Merry christmas & happy new year..

BamaTazz

http://www.geocities.com/bamatazz2001/index.html

Just wanted to wish all of my Jeep buddies and our hosts here at Edmunds a very, very, Merry Christmas!

A special greeting also to all of our service men and women overseas. Sorry you couldn't be home for Christmas, but please know that your country thinks of you and appreciates you.

Tom, Thelma Jane, and Ross Allen

P.S.

Go to the members photo gallery to see a greeting from Ross Allen