Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala 2001 Headlights off???

txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
You can use the regular headlight switch at night to turn the lights on, then off and they will go off or use the parking light setting to turn off the headlights. I haven't tried it during the day.

Comments

• aquaknot2000aquaknot2000 Member Posts: 30
    Yes, by pulling the light switch out to the parking light position does turn the headlights off but it also lights all the "running lights".
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    yes, but if you turn the parking lights off all lights will go off. This is with the key set to ACC position. What are you trying to accomplish? The original post has disappeared.
    I am trying to defeat (Or disable) the automatic headlights on, since there is no manual switch to disable this function.
    It looks like there is no easy solution. Someone at one time manufactured a module to wire into the system to defeat the DRL's. Apparently not available anymore. Chevy can re program the BCM, but that is only done for law enforcement. Maybe you can find someone else to reprogam the computer.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    DRLs don't take much current, the lower voltage should not materially hammer headlight life (and by using the DRLs as an "orange standby" before turning the lights on, could help avoid burnouts of the bulb filaments,) and others can see you better. have yet to see in the conversations why it is a desireable outcome.
    Please note - - I am trying to defeat the "Automatic Headlights On" feature -- Not the DRL (Daytime Running Lamps). Got any suggestions??
    http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html see if this helps...scroll past midway, you'll see a heading for disable auto headlights only.
    http://www.easyperformance.com/ look down the menu on the left side for Products then GM Headlight Sens. They have a kit to allow control of the auto headlight system.
This discussion has been closed.